PDA

View Full Version : Tripod recommendations

slyfox
02-01-2019, 09:23 PM
Hi everyone looking at getting a new tripod for mountain hunting have a swaro 20×60×80 spotter before I go out and get one just wondering what people recommend.
Thanks Slyfox

pg83
02-01-2019, 10:08 PM
I've been pretty happy with my Sirui T-025X. I run a Leica 25-50 by 65mm on it while hunting. I have also used it for DSLR photography using a 70-200mm lens, but it's certainly at its upper limits at that point.

I found the price to be quite reasonable compared to others for what it can do. It hasn't blown me away, but it hasn't disappointed either.

Seth
02-02-2019, 07:44 AM
I've been pretty happy with my Sirui T-025X. I run a Leica 25-50 by 65mm on it while hunting. I have also used it for DSLR photography using a 70-200mm lens, but it's certainly at its upper limits at that point.

I found the price to be quite reasonable compared to others for what it can do. It hasn't blown me away, but it hasn't disappointed either.

I too have the Sirui T-025x but on a Swaro 20-60x65. I’d agree that it’s reached its upper limits with the 65mm objective so would not recommend it for your 80mm. I know Manfrotto makes a good carbon fiber tripod that gets good reviews and seams to be quite popular with the larger objective crowd. Sorry I don’t have a model number but I’m sure someone will chime in.

xfactor
02-02-2019, 08:44 AM
i run an 85mm zeiss spotter. just purchased an medium outdoorsman tripod with pistol grip head. not cheap, but i am really impressed with how it holds the weight, easy to adjust, easy to attach scope, really simple design. i like simple:)

im in langley, you are welcome to have a look...

SR80
02-02-2019, 08:48 AM
i run an 85mm zeiss spotter. just purchased an medium outdoorsman tripod with pistol grip head. not cheap, but i am really impressed with how it holds the weight, easy to adjust, easy to attach scope, really simple design. i like simple:)

im in langley, you are welcome to have a look...

Anyone that touches that will likely be ordering one. I should know, it happened to me:oops:

Seth
02-02-2019, 09:07 AM
I purchased the Outdoorsman Micro panhead before last season and used that on the Sirui. A definite upgrade. I can only imagine that the Outdoorsmans tripod would be top shelf.

slyfox
02-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

Osprey87
02-04-2019, 11:13 AM
Slik 634c would be a good route to go

JKerr
02-04-2019, 01:09 PM
Manfrotto CXPro

I've used it with a Canon 500mm lens which weighs about 8 lbs, and it was rock solid over longer exposure times.

Probably a bit overkill for a spotter, you can find something lighter, and cheaper if you're willing to forgo the 1.8m height.

Also don't neglect the ball mount, it makes almost as much a difference for a solid base as the tripod does.

Honestly I'd recommend hitting up a couple camera stores, and asking them what they think, having a good tripod setup is far more critical in photography, and very noticeable when its poor, they will have more insight into what works and what doesn't, as well as access to feedback from people that use these things every day.