PDA

View Full Version : Predator hunting for soccer moms

45freezer
02-01-2019, 09:28 AM
When friends and acquaintances first started asking what I would be getting up to on the weekend and receiving a reply of "bear hunting," I quickly realized that the majority of people in the lower mainland have no idea anybody even eats bear. I had started hunting just as the rug was pulled out from under us regarding the grizzly hunt and although there wasn't any form of provincial vote on the matter I don't think that would have helped much with our current public perception of bear hunting in most urban areas. I had recently started putting together a video of my first year hunting with my son and quickly decided to try and take the opportunity to explain both the edibility and sustainability of bear hunting in BC in a way that non hunters might be able to digest.

I tend to avoid Facebook like the plague these days but I posted it on there and the response was surprising, almost none of my friends hunt but it seemed to be quite well received by people I never would have expected to take interest. I also used it as a bit of a springboard to explain the need for predator management and the hypocrisy of someone eating beef but having an issue with Canada Goose using coyote fur or typing angry comments on hunting photos/videos from their own leather couch.

Either way, I had fun getting a bit of practice filming/editing and creating memories for my son and I...feel free to share it, you never know who's mind you might change. Hope everyone is getting excited for spring bear, just got a new string and cables put on the bow and will be spending the next few weeks experimenting with a couple different arrow builds to try and get my fixed blade broadheads flying as true as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctOw2i78xSk

.308SLAYER
02-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Excellent video young man won't forget no doubt

Gateholio
02-01-2019, 10:05 AM
Great video, and the way it is presented will appeal to lots of non hunters. Good job and congrats.

Wild one
02-01-2019, 10:10 AM
It is my opinion education of the non hunting public is an important factor to the future of hunting. The majority are not anti hunting but majority of what they hear about hunting is from anti hunters. There is also a large portion that are curious about hunting but are uneducated on the subject

45freezer nice video and keep taking the time to talk hunting with others

Red_Mist
02-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Nice vid, thanks for sharing.

Bugle M In
02-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Great Vid!

Sometimes I approach hunting and talking about it with this opening line.
"I apologize, as I do not wish to offend, but I do hunt.....etc, etc"
I try to show respect that not everyone may feel the same.
But, I find most people go "oh no, that's okay, great that you do etc"
More times than not, folks seem to be more accepting of hunting than I ever thought.
(Not 100% of the time, but mostly)
So, that's how "get it out there", and it seems to work, just an fyi for all.
Getting it out there, and discussed if need be, I believe is vital and makes people think, and they can attach my face
as a visual of someone they know who hunts.

pin_head
02-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Wow, that is a great video! Exactly what needs to be put out there on our behalf, thank you for putting in the effort to paint us in such a good light.

Looks like Ike you’ve got a hell of a hunting partner too!

great stuff,

Brad

joshbazz
02-01-2019, 11:34 AM
That was awesome!

todbartell
02-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Great video, and the way it is presented will appeal to lots of non hunters. Good job and congrats.

x2 it was great. well done

blueboy
02-01-2019, 11:53 AM
excellent love to see more keep up the good work

Would Rather Be Fishing
02-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Great job! At what age did you start taking your little one out with you?

Arctic Lake
02-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Good job 45 Freezer ! Very good to see a young boy out with his Dad hunting and enjoying life !
Arctic Lake

Ourea
02-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Exceptional video and editing.
Great story and messaging.
Tip of the hat.

mad_mallard
02-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Well put together,,,,
made me smile :)

Everett
02-01-2019, 01:56 PM
That is freaking awesome video

sawmill
02-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Great Vid!

More times than not, folks seem to be more accepting of hunting than I ever thought.
Getting it out there, and discussed if need be, I believe is vital and makes people think, and they can attach my face

Seriously? "I apologise????? For what? Because you don`t buy meat from the store where it`s made and no animals were hurt?

I apologise when I have done something wrong. Hunting is not wrong.If we did not hunt we would have died out a long time ago.Jees, do you apologise for killing that potato you ate last night? Plants have feelings too you know. At least the folks you talk to must think so. I hunt. I eat well. I am better tuned to nature than any anti.
And I know how to feed my family.I am a proud hunter and if shit hits the fan I`ll be better off than the folks you "apologise" to.Actually they will be begging me for a steak.And I will give them one, if they apologise to me for being an anti hunter.

pg83
02-01-2019, 02:27 PM
To the OP: Exceptional job!

Great Vid!

Seriously? "I apologise????? For what? Because you don`t buy meat from the store where it`s made and no animals were hurt?

I apologise when I have done something wrong. Hunting is not wrong.If we did not hunt we would have died out a long time ago.Jees, do you apologise for killing that potato you ate last night? Plants have feelings too you know. At least the folks you talk to must think so. I hunt. I eat well. I am better tuned to nature than any anti.
And I know how to feed my family.I am a proud hunter and if shit hits the fan I`ll be better off than the folks you "apologise" to.Actually they will be begging me for a steak.And I will give them one, if they apologise to me for being an anti hunter.

The majority of people are completely willing to accept that you hunt, they are simply uneducated on the subject.
There is no need to apologize for doing so, but you do need to get the messaging right. The beer-swilling Bubba image is still stuck in many peoples minds, but it doesn't take much to change that perception into something far more positive.
A bit of respect has gone a long way in all the conversations I have had with non-hunters.

02-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Outstanding!! Great video! You are raising your boy right

monasheemountainman
02-01-2019, 02:43 PM
great video dude

RackStar
02-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Good video. Looking forward to more. Thanks man

brn2ryd
02-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Great video! I can't wait to share these same experiences with my boy.

LBM
02-01-2019, 03:08 PM
nice video 45freezer

LBM
02-01-2019, 03:14 PM
It is my opinion education of the non hunting public is an important factor to the future of hunting. The majority are not anti hunting but majority of what they hear about hunting is from anti hunters. There is also a large portion that are curious about hunting but are uneducated on the subject

45freezer nice video and keep taking the time to talk hunting with others

I would tend to disagree. The most that the non hunters hear or see is from hunters or should I say maybe the wrong hunters, at least in this area. You don't give the non hunters enough credit, many of them are educated on the subject and do more for wildlife then some hunters do.

Wild one
02-01-2019, 03:39 PM
I would tend to disagree. The most that the non hunters hear or see is from hunters or should I say maybe the wrong hunters, at least in this area. You don't give the non hunters enough credit, many of them are educated on the subject and do more for wildlife then some hunters do.

I could agree every area is different but when you start looking at the larger cities I will stand by my statement. In rural areas people have more knowledge of hunting

With my past businesses I interacted with a lot of people in both BC and Alberta including people from around the world so had my fair share of conversations about hunting with non hunters. Majority are not anti hunter not even close

I did not reach my conclusions from a handful of people

Vortex hunter
02-01-2019, 04:27 PM
Good job bro .. was great to have the boys at coffee and watching them muck around within ten minutes of hanging out ..

jac
02-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Great video thanks for sharing

Bubbacanuck
02-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Awesome video! Congrats on the bear and amazing experience with your son

albravo2
02-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Awesome video. You are a lucky man, in so many ways.

caddisguy
02-01-2019, 06:32 PM
Terrible, just terrible. It makes me want to get out there. It's only Feb! Awful! How. Dare. You. :D

Excellent video though. Keep up the good work with both the videos and the message you are sending.

Wolf Smacker
02-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Fantastic job with video and message.

77Gunner
02-01-2019, 07:10 PM
That was awesome really well put together, thanks for sharing.

horshur
02-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Thumbs up..thanks

45freezer
02-01-2019, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone, glad people are enjoying it and my son will be happy to hear that as well! For those expressing interest in seeing more content from us in the future I plan on working on a couple projects over the spring and possibly a short film in the fall so if you do have a youtube account be sure to subscribe to our channel and hit the bell icon to stay in the loop!

I fully agree with the concept of not apologizing when you know you've done nothing wrong, that said though the attitude of "this is what I do and if you don't like it then kick rocks" will get us nowhere in regards to changing the perspective of people that may currently be sitting on the fence about hunting and could just as easily be swayed the other way by anti-hunting propaganda. In my experience I tend to agree with Wild One, in the lower mainland at LEAST 50% of people seem to think hunting consists of driving a logging road for 5 minutes with a beer in hand until a trophy buck walks out and stands perfectly broadside...next to his son and wife of course...then the big bad hunter shoots him in the guts, takes nothing but the head and goes back to the trailer park to laugh about it. That outlook is 10x worse if you mention bear or dare I say wolves :rolleyes:

It does get significantly better the farther north I go and by the time I pass Mt. Currie people that claim to be non hunters have even pointed me in the direction of cutblocks they think may be productive. Coming back down though the ignorance and cognitive dissonance gets more and more prevalent with every deer crossing sign.

A few things I've found that seem to help break the barrier:

1) Hunting with kids. I've noticed the looks I get from the granola crowd do change drastically when I'm with my son. Even though the goal is the exact same for me, in their minds I think it goes from a bloodthirsty trophy hunter to a family outing for meat. There was a question regarding when I started taking my son out with me, he was 8 when we began actively hunting together and 9 when I shot this bear. Don't hesitate to get them out any chance you get, looking at our evolution it's far more natural for children to see animals killed and butchered from birth than to see their meat come in styrofoam trays. My trips with him are also by far the most rewarding even though I can't go nearly as hard.

2) Hunting with a bow. I've noticed that non hunters tend to have a completely different reaction to the exact same harvest depending on the weapon used. "You killed a bear? Yuck. Wait you killed it with a bow? Wow, can I see pictures!? How does it taste? Did you get a rug?"

3) Meat. To a hunter it's obvious you ate that big black bear and he was probably as tasty as can be. To a non hunter though you most likely left it there just to take the head and hide, and since the food that they scrape off their plate simply goes into a garbage bag that they tie up and seal off from scavengers, they assume any meat left in the woods goes entirely to waste. One thing I regretted is that I didn't show more food in this video, I know the message did get across that we kept the meat and even ate some of the organs but meat is the big barrier crusher in my opinion as most non hunters still do eat meat and wear leather. We're currently working on getting some t-shirts printed up to spread the news that yes, people do eat bear, the more people we can get wearing them around Vancouver/Squamish etc the better if something like the grizzly hunt does ever go to a provincial vote. Hopefully more on that soon.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to check it out and good luck to everyone that's motivated to take the bow out this season now! ;)

pg83
02-01-2019, 10:24 PM
On point 45freezer.

if you've got a couple hours to spare give this podcast a listen and if you don't, break it up and listen anyways:

http://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/episode-053-greg-blascovich

HarryToolips
02-01-2019, 11:32 PM
Very good job on the vid, congrats keep up the good work..

Piperdown
02-02-2019, 07:01 AM
2 thumbs up well done!

tracker
02-02-2019, 08:03 AM
right there is some serious talent on making a hunting video, and most importantly raising a young hunter !!! your welcome at my camp fire anytime . keep it up .

IronNoggin
02-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Bringing them up the RIGHT Way! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif
Excellent job all round!
Many Thanks for the share!

Cheers,
Nog

Bugle M In
02-02-2019, 01:16 PM
I know hunting in Restricted areas with mountain bikes has given a different perspective for those who are non hunters as well.
Usually met with approval from them, and an appreciation of the effort we put in.
The logging road, driving with a beer in hand, pissed drunk is quite often what they gat to see thru media like Hollywood.

walks with deer
02-02-2019, 09:02 PM
sorry with the heading...
predator hunting for soccer moms

i was thinking this video would have been something hardcore...lol

bc7mm
02-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Really enjoyed it, brought back a lotta fond memories from when my kids were little. Thanks

Rob Chipman
02-03-2019, 10:23 PM
Super work. I see an Oscar in your future!

Steve W
02-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Damn that was good! Hope you get a chance to do more.

Salty
02-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Very classy 45' very classy. I'm glad to hear you're going to continue with your chronicles you've got a talent no doubt. cheers

45freezer
02-04-2019, 05:26 PM
On point 45freezer.

if you've got a couple hours to spare give this podcast a listen and if you don't, break it up and listen anyways:

http://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/episode-053-greg-blascovich

Excellent recommendation, that episode must have snuck past me and it was definitely worth the listen, lot of head nodder moments...didn't put all that much weight in provincial regulations having much effect on the non hunters perception but I'm glad I included the part about annual bag limits now, will certainly be sure to highlight more of those details in my spring short film. It may make it a lot easier to do some of the filming for that project on someone else's bear hunt so I may be looking to tag along if anyone from the lower mainland plans on doing any weekend trips to bear hot spots once the season opens up or any recommendations on places to take the boy and watch/film some bears feel free to PM me, bowhunters obviously jump to the top of the list! ;) Not into poaching honey holes by any means but our current bear spot is fairly thick timber and not very conducive to long range filming.

Thanks again to everyone that commented and a huge thanks to everyone that shared it, honestly blown away by the positive reaction to what started out as a simple compilation of memories.

Steve W
02-04-2019, 06:35 PM
Thanks again to everyone that commented and a huge thanks to everyone that shared it, honestly blown away by the positive reaction to what started out as a simple compilation of memories.

I think it rings home for many because we have similar memories. For me hunting my Dad at a young age was rare, but a much anticipated treat.

stinkyduck
02-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Nice work on all accounts.

02-06-2019, 07:42 PM
Great share 45!
Congrats on your BBear doesnt get any better than that with your boy.
These new hunters are our future.
Great job on the vid.

walks with deer
02-07-2019, 08:02 PM
great video just watched it at home with the kids instead of at work...

really well done. great all around...what do you do for a living?
ps so impressed will send you some mission and squamish locations. hell will help you on mule deer too

J_T
02-08-2019, 06:28 AM
Yep. Good talent. Great when we stick with a direction on raising our kids, giving them experiences and finding time and space to develop the bond with our kids. Great video. Thanks for the share.

45freezer
02-08-2019, 08:28 AM
great video just watched it at home with the kids instead of at work...

really well done. great all around...what do you do for a living?
ps so impressed will send you some mission and squamish locations. hell will help you on mule deer too

Love to hear about people sharing it with the family, makes me smile! Was a barber for years and did freelance film work on the side here and there, currently doing the blue collar shuffle in shipping/receiving...good company but it definitely would be nice to get into content creation for a hunting related company or something one day...at least a man can dream right? Thank you sir, I certainly won't say no, are you taking your boys out this year? We could possibly plan on making a trip out that way to film some of those alfalfa bears if you're up for it.

swampthing
02-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Good job dad!

tikkahunter
02-08-2019, 09:33 AM
Great vid man. Nothing better than hunting with my boy. Memories that I will take to the grave, and I hope he will too.

walks with deer
02-10-2019, 02:50 PM
i have a boy and a girl..

and yes we go out alot .

i figured you would have to have done some film work..great job..

yes late may early june go for bears and great fishing...

its not uncommon for the kids to get a average of 30trout a hour to the boat...

we only kill bleeders...

as said great job and i love the title lol

BStrachan
02-10-2019, 11:51 PM
Great video and thanks for sharing. Such great memories for you and your son.

45freezer
02-12-2019, 09:44 PM
Great vid man. Nothing better than hunting with my boy. Memories that I will take to the grave, and I hope he will too.

He certainly will!

i have a boy and a girl..

and yes we go out alot .

i figured you would have to have done some film work..great job..

yes late may early june go for bears and great fishing...

its not uncommon for the kids to get a average of 30trout a hour to the boat...

we only kill bleeders...

as said great job and i love the title lol

Oops, my memory must be failing me...best of both worlds then.

Thanks, again I'm glad it was so well received and appreciate everyone that took the time to watch and share our memories.

Sounds like paradise, will certainly keep in touch!

happyhunter
02-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Great video well done!