PDA

View Full Version : Fly in stone sheep

Webitmuddy
01-26-2019, 04:42 PM
Looking at doing a fly in stone sheep hunt this year.
Is there any other plane charters other then urs with northern rockies. Ps any advice is helpful

BCbillies
01-26-2019, 04:55 PM
I've flown out of Watson Lake with Northern Rockies and out of Dease with BC Yukon and Tsayta Aviation. You can also fly out of Tatogga . . . believe it's Alpine Lakes Air.

SaintSix
01-26-2019, 05:59 PM
I can confirm, Tatogga is Alpine lakes air. I've used them before but not for sheep

4 point
01-26-2019, 08:25 PM
Villiers Air Fort Nelson

butcher
01-26-2019, 10:14 PM
BC Yukon in Dease lk. 250-771-3232

pg83
01-26-2019, 10:44 PM
BC Yukon in Dease lk. 250-771-3232

Rumor has is they might not fly you into certain sheep lakes. I never asked, but did fly with them last fall to a lake that has sheep nearby although that was not the focus of our hunt.

butcher
01-26-2019, 11:00 PM
Rumor has is they might not fly you into certain sheep lakes. I never asked, but did fly with them last fall to a lake that has sheep nearby although that was not the focus of our hunt.

I have not had that experience. Two years ago they flew me into a lake with one of their camps on it. They have been very straightforward to deal with. Bill is an interesting and informative guy to talk to and he is very invested in wildlife in the area.

pg83
01-27-2019, 11:01 AM
I have not had that experience. Two years ago they flew me into a lake with one of their camps on it. They have been very straightforward to deal with. Bill is an interesting and informative guy to talk to and he is very invested in wildlife in the area.

Good to hear!

cuervosail
01-28-2019, 05:19 PM

I've flown with them two years in a row and they won't fly into a lake where they have already dropped someone. Of course, that doesn't mean the competitor out of Watson Lake won't.

Rackmastr
01-28-2019, 10:04 PM
I've flown with them two years in a row and they won't fly into a lake where they have already dropped someone. Of course, that doesn't mean the competitor out of Watson Lake won't.

I had a decent experience with them, great hunt after switching lakes up due to some agreements they had on where they would fly, but we made do and had an amazing hunt and they were easy to deal with.

They did drop a group at the same lake half way through our hunt. Not complaining, just stating it since it was brought up. We were caribou hunting and went home with a truck load of meat regardless!!

264mag
01-28-2019, 11:31 PM
How did you go about selecting the lake? Did they have suggestions or did you pick it?

pg83
01-29-2019, 07:30 AM
We chose our lake before we contacted them. When we got to the float base we confirmed the lake(by name if it has one) and also on the map. We didn't see anyone for our days hunt and only heard a couple of planes in the distance.

BCbillies
01-29-2019, 08:02 PM

Competitor out of Watson did fly us into one of Bill's lakes but not into the small honey hole that I preferred. I didn't give him much notice on the slightly altered destination. The response I got was that they help each other out at times and the odd lake is untouchable. Just meant an extra day of hiking . . .

Beaves84
02-25-2019, 10:10 PM
instead of landing on lakes has anyone ever looked in to landing on any of the remote runways that you can find on google earth? or is it just better to go with what you know?

ryanb
02-25-2019, 11:13 PM
Some of these strips are used indeed. There's the odd gravel bar here and there where they can land too....

Beaves84
03-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Some of these strips are used indeed. There's the odd gravel bar here and there where they can land too....

is there a way to get the strip id#'s so I can talk to a pilot about possible use of them?

Avalanche123
03-03-2019, 01:36 PM

There are far more lakes than landing strips so I wouldn't limit myself to those. (I know you probably are not). From my knowledge, most of the areas with landing strips will still require a pretty good hike to get to sheep country whereas numerous lakes offer easier and quicker access.