PDA

View Full Version : So which organization to join?

butcher
01-26-2019, 11:04 AM
So I have been a member at one time or another of WSSBC, RMEF, BCWF. Was not real happy with any of them.

I’ve been wanting to join something again, start paying back for what I take. BHA is on the list, so is Goat Alliance and one or two of the previously mentioned organizations.

As a resident hunter and conservationist, what is everyone feeling gives us the best representation and why?

warnniklz
01-26-2019, 11:15 AM
All those organizations are about putting animals on the land. They aren't hunting organizations at the base level. They just use hunting as a tool. Like the rest of us. Well except maybe BHA

300rum700
01-26-2019, 11:18 AM
If i had to choose only one the WSSBC would be it but in reality all of them need more support.

Island Idiots
01-26-2019, 11:20 AM
There are plenty of conservation organisations. Organisations that support BC resident hunters is non existant in BC IMO.

Wild one
01-26-2019, 11:26 AM
WSSBC has kept on track and them recently stepping up with their program to educate the public I have to give them the most credit. Down side sheep is their priority

SCI has promise but they need a few strong active members to help them grow and become more organized

BCWF I am not really impressed with but they do have the odd good project. Their efforts are mainly southern BC

BHA I recommend doing as much research as you can before you give them a dime. At this time they fall under no way in hell in my opinion.

Truth of the matter is WSSBC is about the best BC has at this moment in my opinion so don’t expect better from the others. BC needs a new hunting org to represent hunters in BC big time

butcher
01-26-2019, 11:36 AM
WSSBC has kept on track and them recently stepping up with their program to educate the public I have to give them the most credit. Down side sheep is their priority

SCI has promise but they need a few strong active members to help them grow and become more organized

BCWF I am not really impressed with but they do have the odd good project. Their efforts are mainly southern BC

BHA I recommend doing as much research as you can before you give them a dime. At this time they fall under no way in hell in my opinion.

Truth of the matter is WSSBC is about the best BC has at this moment in my opinion so don’t expect better from the others. BC needs a new hunting org to represent hunters in BC big time

Been looking a lot at BHA, and am still unsure. Y2Y and all...
Dont like all the infighting recently at BCWF. Seem really unstable.
Had issues with membership at WSS. It would be tough to give them my money.

However, I’m okay with just helping put animals on the landscape. Need to start somewhere. Right now Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance has my attention.

warnniklz
01-26-2019, 11:37 AM
...Right now Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance has my attention.

Their hoodies are really nice

sthdslayer
01-26-2019, 11:42 AM
I would say join the one that supports your beliefs then become active. Decisions are made by those that show up.
In my opinion the rise of the BHA (good or bad) is a direct result the the current disorganization within the BCWF and their loss of focus on regional issues.

Wild one
01-26-2019, 11:52 AM
Been looking a lot at BHA, and am still unsure. Y2Y and all...
Dont like all the infighting recently at BCWF. Seem really unstable.
Had issues with membership at WSS. It would be tough to give them my money.

However, I’m okay with just helping put animals on the landscape. Need to start somewhere. Right now Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance has my attention.

I don’t know much about the goat alliance so no opinion there. Out of the ones I listed outside of WSS I would take a risk on SCI because I can at least see potential with the right members

I don’t like the BCWF and think they are a mess but I would buy a life time membership for the BCWF before I paid for a 1 year BHA membership.

REMINGTON JIM
01-26-2019, 12:40 PM
https://www.wildsheepsociety.com/ this one right now ! and i will rejoin the BCWF too as i still BELIEVE they do a lot of GOOD ! jmo RJ

Bugle M In
01-26-2019, 12:50 PM
I would say the WSS has been of late, the most pro-active, like the hunting heritage fund, so if you have
some spare change, I would throw some support their way, and at that, maybe buy a ticket for the 2nd round in that hunting heritage fund program. (you could always have a chance at winning while supporting a really good cause if it comes to fruition down the road).
WSS seems the most organized, but their main goal is sheep, not hunters, but they are realizing they need
hunters if they want to survive (they all do!)
BCWF has a really good insurance program established, which is always beneficial, and is why many join them.
I do hope they get their act together better soon, as they are one of the oldest organizations in bc, but again, their mandate is not really about hunters, but wildlife. (just as important)
But, as many stated, we really do lack a true BC hunters association, which is shocking and now necessary more than ever.
You could also send some cash thru ProGuide 66 and the Go Fund me for trappers to have the cash to go out there and get rid of some Preds, which seems to be working from what I am hearing.
(check out his FB account).
Other then that, check your local R&G Club I suppose, and see what they are about.
Other than that, there is dick all I would support, imo.

REMINGTON JIM
01-26-2019, 02:55 PM
Good Read Bugle and Exactly as i see it too ! RJ

kbellamy
01-26-2019, 02:59 PM
First choice for me would be your local rod and gun clubs. Go to a meeting or two and see if they align with your vision and if they are getting things done. If not, think about joining and forcing a different direction. Some of you do not have time, so this is not always an option. Lots of gun clubs, our included, are part of the BCWF so you also get the insurance perks.

WSSBC are doing some great things, our club in FSJ has developed a strong relationship with them and have been great to work with. We attend meetings together with a common voice.

I can't speak to the rest - call up some of the directors and have a frank talk. After a couple of those you should have a better idea.

As far as predators go - might be worth having a talk with WSSBC directors up north or myself. We have some ideas.

pg83
01-26-2019, 03:19 PM

True, but a lot of the thinning and prescribed burning project are designed to improve habitat for not only sheep, but deer/elk/moose as well.

As far as predators go - might be worth having a talk with WSSBC directors up north or myself. We have some ideas.

There are some ideas being thrown around down south as well. There is no question that predator control is critical.

BriarPatch
01-26-2019, 04:36 PM
I would be wary of BHA they ignored my direct questions regarding firearm rights & the Pew Foundation. The PEW foundations is anti hunting/fishing & I believe BHA may have some connection with them since they will not deny it.

Many people on here disagree with the various organisations none of which actually represent ALL hunters & fishermen maybe we should start our own there are certainly enough members on here.

J_T
01-26-2019, 05:39 PM
I would be wary of BHA they ignored my direct questions regarding firearm rights & the Pew Foundation. The PEW foundations is anti hunting/fishing & I believe BHA may have some connection with them since they will not deny it.

Many people on here disagree with the various organisations none of which actually represent ALL hunters & fishermen maybe we should start our own there are certainly enough members on here.

Help me understand what 'represent all hunters and fishermen' means.

I mean another organization speaking on behalf of wildlife, and conservation is great. What is it that 'hunters and fishermen' specifically need?

Keta1969
01-26-2019, 06:16 PM
Help me understand what 'represent all hunters and fishermen' means.

I mean another organization speaking on behalf of wildlife, and conservation is great. What is it that 'hunters and fishermen' specifically need?

X2 this is what I don't get. Any organization representing hunters that doesn't have a conservation side will pack no clout. It is impossible to have all hunters under one umbrella. Sooner or later the organization will agree with or lobby for something that some members see as affecting the way they hunt and they'll walk and be calling for somebody to represent them.

BriarPatch
01-26-2019, 06:17 PM
I would like to see a unified group.

I don't care if you hunt ducks, deer, bear, upland game or rabbits, I don't care what type of fishing you take part in, whether you are a guide outfitters, trappers, First Nations or just someone with an interest in the outdoors who is not anti hunting. Even people who only shoot targets, 3D archers, fishing stores, hunting stores gun clubs, people who sell boats, atv's or camping gear, even campsites & hotels whose business is mainly hunters & fisherman. As a group we are huge & united we could be very powerful & influence political decisions.

How many times have you seen it on here about all manner of subjects, last week I started a thread about gun dogs & got some really good feedback but the divisions were obvious and people seemed to be getting really fired up about which dog breed was actually the number 1 when the truth of the matter is there are many good breeds out there and some are better at certain things than others. The passion that each had for their breed was awesome but the matter of which is truly the best is subjective and depends on the situation.

Many years ago I had the privilege to work my dog under a hawk and I am sure there are people on here who would claim this is not hunting, just like there are archers who would argue that using a gun to take an elk is not good sportsmanship or fly fishermen who believe that you should only take trout on the fly, what I am saying is that we should not judge each others methods and simply understand that there are many ways to hunt & fish each has its own set of challenges & as long as they are legal that is all that matters, we are still hunters or fishermen.

I see new anti groups springing up all the time If people do not get together & unify we will be picked off group by group until there is nothing left and all we have left as hunters is a few photos & memories.

BriarPatch
01-26-2019, 06:24 PM
I agree the group has to be have sound conservation as their backbone and their may be times that a certain area needs to be closed or limited for a time and this will affect some people but I think the true sportsman with discussion & input would respect this.

I have been in business for 35 years and have found that a negotiated agreement between 2 parties is easier to police & enforce than a forced settlement where there is no benefit to 1 side.

BriarPatch
01-26-2019, 06:26 PM
Maybe others on here could speak up and say what they would like to see from an organisation and what they think needs to be done and see how much common ground there actually is.

J_T
01-26-2019, 06:34 PM
^^ isn't the unification simply the fact that all hunting organizations support each other? If you amalgamate to have a single unified voice, are you not just, one voice in a sea of many voices? The majority then being of the non hunting perspective? I don't see the strategy of the non hunter / environmental activist amalgamating into one voice. They have a lot of contribution to their cause through a diversified and multiplying set of organizations.

I'm not sure it will ever come down to a simple, us versus them one on one discussion. It isn't a negotiation. That simply isn't the strategy that the non hunter has found works to achieve their agenda.

I agree, I don't really care what your weapon of choice, game of choice, method of pursuit is. We can all respect each other and stand together. In the EK, we have guides, houndsman, trappers, bowhunters, rifle hunters and trophy hunters all standing together as the KWC. And it gets attention in the media.

BriarPatch
01-26-2019, 06:59 PM
I agree that all hunting organisations have to stand together & support each other.

Much of the anti hunting sentiment comes from lack of education in non hunters and the fact that in some areas hunting & guns are portrayed in a negative light and seen as something to be avoided. I believe that many of the so called antis could be turned if they were educated as not everyone is vegan even in the lower mainland.

As you say KWC gets attention, what if that attention could be turned to province wide that really would be some media attention.

Rackmastr
01-26-2019, 10:28 PM
I see new anti groups springing up all the time If people do not get together & unify we will be picked off group by group until there is nothing left and all we have left as hunters is a few photos & memories.

You said it yourself....you see new anti groups springing up all the time. Yet you think that us having a single unified voice in one group is the answer to combat that?? If that was the most powerful way of doing things, the antis wouldnt be springing up new groups each year.

Reality is, the antis aren't who we need to be focused on. The antis sure aren't focussing their energy on us specifically, they are beating us because they are focusing their efforts in the right places.

Its human nature that people will want to belong to different groups, multiple groups, specific species or type of recreation or conservation groups. We are all attracted to various tribes for various reasons.

What we need to realize is that a membership in ANY group is near meaningless without people realizing that individuals are the ones who drive change and move the needle. Individuals who get involved with these groups/tribes and look for ways to further the goals and spread their growth and messaging are likely far more important. Developing strategy to actually target the right people and not be reactive in nature.

No group is perfect right now. None likely will be, ever. Is BC missing something right now? Tough to say. I'd say all that's missing is something to empower individual hunters, anglers, gun owners and conservation enthusiasts to get involved. No matter the group, that's likely a monumental challenge in my experience...

RobU
01-27-2019, 01:21 AM
So I have been a member at one time or another of WSSBC, RMEF, BCWF. Was not real happy with any of them.

I’ve been wanting to join something again, start paying back for what I take. BHA is on the list, so is Goat Alliance and one or two of the previously mentioned organizations.

As a resident hunter and conservationist, what is everyone feeling gives us the best representation and why?

Many of us are in same boat. Personally I feel BCWF has dropped the ball completely. I still support local club and joined WSSBC for 3 years and watching their hunter heritage program closely. Not familiar with backcountry hunters and anglers, website isn’t very good and I wonder how much money funnels south of our border.

J_T
01-27-2019, 06:14 AM
I agree that all hunting organisations have to stand together & support each other.

Much of the anti hunting sentiment comes from lack of education in non hunters and the fact that in some areas hunting & guns are portrayed in a negative light and seen as something to be avoided. I believe that many of the so called antis could be turned if they were educated as not everyone is vegan even in the lower mainland.

As you say KWC gets attention, what if that attention could be turned to province wide that really would be some media attention.
I think on a Provincial level, it is happening right now. The process is being led by Government. The BCWF is coordinating all hunting, trapping, guiding interests into a workshop this coming week. I suspect that will gain some exposure.

Regarding the model of the KWC, and other regions. I have had discussions with a few groups/people from the Island, from Region 2 and Region 6. These things don't start from the internet. They start because hunters and hunting groups realize it is imminently important to work together to get a message to the public and to Government. There is strength in numbers. When you have all segments of the hunting, trapping, guiding community coming together in a region, in a round table approach, no leaders, all respectful and equal and standing together making the same statements to Government. That's power. That's influence.

All hunters require are people in each region to realize it and do something about it. Put the infighting aside, realize there is much at stake, we need more wildlife. We need a better landscape management approach. And come together. Enough bickering. Sit down for an extended conversation with your MLA and talk. Share concerns. Hold Government accountable. Not in a petitioning protesting sort of way. But in a constructive meaningful dialogue. Be prepared.

Ask yourself, how many times an online petition, or a protest, really worked. If you raised your children through a model of protest and petitioning (demands, seeking compliance), what are the results. Pretty poor. But when we have a 'family meeting' and talk and respect and give equal time, we might not always agree, but as family, we can live together in peace. Enough with the meaningless approach. You want results, come into the room palms up, ready to listen. Not fist thumping the table with demands.

I'm not targeting you Briar, sorry for the hijack. You asked a good question. I know my responses can go on and on. I apologize.

Rackmastr
01-27-2019, 08:21 AM
Another great post JT

dana
01-27-2019, 12:37 PM
Reading this article by an anti-hunting / conservation rag, I think it is time to support the RMEF again. Seems they are actually doing what their hunter base wants them to do, unlike other orgs that have rejected their hunter base to become nothing but so-called conservation orgs.

https://www.hcn.org/wotr/a-once-proud-conservation-group-has-lost-its-way

RobU
01-27-2019, 02:49 PM
Very well said sir. Some of our orgs have been neutered.

Bugle M In
01-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Reading this article by an anti-hunting / conservation rag, I think it is time to support the RMEF again. Seems they are actually doing what their hunter base wants them to do, unlike other orgs that have rejected their hunter base to become nothing but so-called conservation orgs.

https://www.hcn.org/wotr/a-once-proud-conservation-group-has-lost-its-way

You know. I was actually going to mention that.
Although, i have no idea what is going on in this province with them.
I know, i am an avid elk hunter, i should know this stuff, but being in the LM really takes away from getting involved.
If i were in the EK, i definitely would be into some club by now for sure (if they actually wanted me??)
Agree with JT.
There are some many "niche" groups to hunting.
Some like sheep hunting, others goat or elk or MD.
Some use bow only.
So, it makes sense to have these different groups.
The issue seems to be getting all united for the bigger picture.
If this forum can be a measurement of this, we often see discussion happening, and then suddenly a battle breaks out
over bow against rifle, or GO against resident.
Even the hells angels have different chapters all over.
But, sometimes there's a meeting with all of them together, and some ground rules are put into play, that they all have to abide by and work with.
I think that's were some sort of organization is missing.

David
01-28-2019, 12:49 PM

It is interesting to me that people mention hunting and conservation but noone mentions education.

As others have mentioned there is no real dedicated hunting group (in my opinion), and all of the organizations are involved in conservation to a greater or lesser degree.

If I had to choose only one I would choose the BCWF for two reasons:
1) They actually do education: Wild Kidz, Becoming an Outdoorswoman (BOW), Fishing Forever, etc. etc.
2) They partner with many of the other organizations you mention.

Here is more information on the education offerings of the BCWF:
www.bcwf.net/index.php/programs

Bugle M In
01-28-2019, 12:51 PM
Receiving a pm the other night, as well as thinking about some of what JT said has shed some light onto what direction I think we really need to take.
Yes, I can be long winded, long posts, but I think this will be worth the read and what people think of it?

For so many years, I think we as hunters have been "brainwashed".
Not because we are stupid, but because we have no other choice but to make the best of the situation under the guidelines that
our governments have left us with.
I hate restrictions because I have seen them be introduced, and then more of them stacked upon old ones, and yet, I have seen
no real benefit to many of them.
Reason being, they just aren't addressing the actual issues that are causing the problem.
Because of the way things have been, I see some try to find "new methods of restriction" to try and help the problems.
Basically just doing more of the same.
But the pm made me understand why.(the real truth, and a fair statement)
Hunters like my dad have had "their days" out there, hunting at a time where their bodies could do whatever they wanted.
But, he is way beyond those days, just enjoys the "getting out" now, but doesn't really give the situations that we are facing
much thought. (you lose friends, lose your spouse, things like hunting are no longer important).
He already knows hunting will be gone one day (I think the same sadly).
But, I find myself like the pm, I am in my 50's now, body cant do what it could do before, and we are finding that we only have so many years left, before hunting becomes a "road hunt affair" for the most part.
We are still waiting to experience something close to the "good old day" type of experience.
There is some anxiety that comes with that.
With that comes "desperation", looking for something that will work within a few years, that atleast for a short time, creates
a better hunting success experience.
If that means "shutting hunting down" for a couple of years, depending on what, some seem to be almost willing to do so,
just to have "a taste of yesterday".
But that's flawed, and our issues require some decent fixes, and then time to "build back up".
If the right fixes were introduced today, one way would be to shut it down, and things rebound quicker.
OR, we fix it, keeping hunting, and it will take longer, but I think we would get there.
JT mentioned something that was truthful as well.
These petitions/polls are nice, but probably ineffective (who's really listening?)
Someone has taken the time to set them up, so I take the time to fill it out, just because I agree and out of respect.
Those links to give your opinion by the ministry are "definitely a must", imo.
Although, I think the government already has a mandate, and knows what they are going to do regardless, but that they
"just have to do it", to look fair.
I think R&G clubs do some great things, hands on work, whether it's rebuilding some habitat, or helping in collaring programs,
they should carry on!
IT's the "coming up with changes" (like regulation changes), where I think maybe they have gone to far.
You look at the US, and many of those States are showing some great success.
They have the money (we know that), and they are using their Bios to "figure it out", and it's working.
These are small States, with way more hunters, and yet they experience a better hunt, even after the fact that much more of the land is private.
I have seen studies were they have "cried wolf" (quite literally!), only to find out that was not the case (ended up being cougar).
I know we have wolf issues, but not all these problems thru the province is all just that, and we know that.
We have some good Bios, and we should be giving them the support to get it done.
I would like to se that all the these Bios, are grass root hunters inside, although I don't know how we can ensure that.
Hunting and conservation, are hand in hand, and there is a "selfish" element to it.
We want lots of game, with a high percentage of success.
We want to grow game to hunt game (but we also enjoy them in other ways).
But there is nothing flawed with that, as it ensures that game is sustainable for everyone to enjoy.
It works, and Duck's Unlimited, Freshwater Society proves that, unequivocally!
But the Bios have their hands tied, and that the first thing we need to untie!
I think JT has hit the "root of the problem".
It's not a new concept, but I suggest a much more "aggressive" approach.
This whole fiasco has started with the Government, and continues to exist with the Government.
I suggest all the major Organizations, as well as all the small clubs of every facet in regards to hunting give this some thought,
and we, put into action.
Not all of us are scholars, not all of us "feel we have the time".
But many of us come to this site, often, or once a day etc., which means we have the time to hit "send" from our email account.
If we could some really great templates, of all the "real issues", put down onto a word document, and where approval has been given to use the documents as ones own, I think we can cause some hell.
Pass along several well thought out (take time to discus it) letters, were the end user can add his/her name to.
Pass along links for mla's (we have to figure out ourselves who your mla is), as well as George Heyman, minister of environment, and Horgan.
Okay, so far nothing new really, BUT:
We all fire off these emails, EVERY DAY!, day after day.
We clog up their email account with thousands upon thousands of emails, DAILY!!
They can hit delete, but new ones are coming!
Rather then one email, with a bunch of signatures, we send individual emails = thousands, not 1!
We all have sent off the odd one, sometimes not hearing anything.
Or, sometimes a reply say "thank you for your thoughts, and be assured we are talking about it".
And that's it.
But this time we reply:
"thank you for your reply, but I am not happy with a bunch of talk, and expect some action/results.
Being the fact that I am actually you employer, thru my taxes paying your cheque, you work for me.
My boss expects me to complete tasks, not just discuss them, and if at the end of the day, ne results are shown , I will not have a job very long.
So since my issues are only being discussed, AND NOT ADDRESSED, please continue to expect more emails on my initial concerns to come until talk becomes action"
And then, the next morning fire off emails again.
Lets just clog them up, lets show them we are tired of the same bs, that further restrictions without addressing the real issues will no longer be accepted".
Also, lets not just send it to the NDP, but those same politicians in the Liberal party that most likely would hold those positions
if they were to be elected.

Lets consider taking this to a whole new level.
Lets untie the Bios hands (the ones we know are here for us), get them the funding flowing, boots on the ground and some
action in the right direction, not just another 5 pages added to the hunting regs!
This problems lays at the foot of bureaucracy first, and that's the first key to getting those fixed.
We need to put the pressure on like it has never been seen before here in the province.
We have the speed of the internet to actually use it's full potential, all with a couple of clicks of the button DAILY!,
til it starts to happen, and we don't take the foot off the pedal til we reach our destination!
Lets lead foot-it and get'r done!

Thoughts??

RobU
01-28-2019, 06:47 PM

you have spoken exactly the truth. WSSBC is on track. They are launching the hunter heritage program soon as well. Hunters do your homework and Choose one or more organizations to join as they all have pros and cons. I have chosen this year to spread my efforts as all of BC needs our help and support, will likely be a member of 4 organizations before long. Really is not expensive (tank of gas in my pickup). It is a crisis....the very worst thing we can do right now is nothing at all!!

huntingfamily
01-28-2019, 07:30 PM
My thoughts as well RobU

Mulehahn
01-28-2019, 08:39 PM
First, let me apologize for this is not my best writing.

I agree with both Bugle M In and RobU. I truly believe that this could be it, make or break for hunting. But my concern goes beyond what groups to join to focus on what can I do with/for that group. I have been a member of a variety of groups ranging from R & G clubs, Hiking Clubs, to my current position at a salmon hatchery. Through all of these I have been a member of the BCWF since I was a youngster but never got involved beyond my local club because that is where my passion lied. I wanted to a nice facility to shoot at so kept it clean and maintained, I wanted to hike new areas so helped maintain the trails, I want my nieces and nephews to fish the waters I did as a kid so I work hard to keep the salmon in them. The other advantage is it keeps me busy. There is always something to do at these smaller clubs, and as often as not they are more than willing to accept the help. This attitude has been very selfish of me, I know! But it has also been very rewarding. I have seen the positive changes that these small organizations can make. But there in lies the rub.

In my experience, hunters and anglers are people of action. With an organization such as the BCWF, WSSBC, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, SCI, BHA or what have you; how does one get more involved than a monthly pub night or meeting. Going to be honest, the main reason I have become so heavily involved in the organizations I have been is because if I suddenly get a Tuesday off it is not wasted; I can go do something productive. What can the average member do to help any of the listed organizations at a given moment? Are we destined to just pay our dues and hope? True, there are trade shows and other events that must be manned but they are few and far between. The WSSBC leads the way in this with the sheep counts and burns but I honestly have no clue how to actively help any of the other organizations beyond sending them an annual deposit.

I know some will say attend the meetings, get on the executive and you will find out but honestly, I would not trust the future or reputation of my organization to someone I see for one hour once a month and would not expect them to do so. I have been on the boards of most clubs I have joined but that is because I showed up, put my time in and tried to understand what they were and who they wanted to be. That is impossible to accomplish over 12 to 16 hours a year. Nor is possible to have every member on the executive. But the heart of an organization is its people. But I firmly believe that they need to feel involved!

I am rambling so I will keep reduce this to 1 simple questions.

What can the 100,000 hunters in this province do on any given day (not an once a month meet up or weekend year but any spare moment they have) to help these organizations succeed?

butcher
01-28-2019, 08:40 PM
I did some digging and talked to a couple members on here as well. Going to pony up for WSSBC membership as apparently they have turned a couple things around. Also RMGA for now. Still haven’t discounted BHA as well but not this year.

RobU
01-28-2019, 10:22 PM
First, let me apologize for this is not my best writing.

I agree with both Bugle M In and RobU. I truly believe that this could be it, make or break for hunting. But my concern goes beyond what groups to join to focus on what can I do with/for that group. I have been a member of a variety of groups ranging from R & G clubs, Hiking Clubs, to my current position at a salmon hatchery. Through all of these I have been a member of the BCWF since I was a youngster but never got involved beyond my local club because that is where my passion lied. I wanted to a nice facility to shoot at so kept it clean and maintained, I wanted to hike new areas so helped maintain the trails, I want my nieces and nephews to fish the waters I did as a kid so I work hard to keep the salmon in them. The other advantage is it keeps me busy. There is always something to do at these smaller clubs, and as often as not they are more than willing to accept the help. This attitude has been very selfish of me, I know! But it has also been very rewarding. I have seen the positive changes that these small organizations can make. But there in lies the rub.

In my experience, hunters and anglers are people of action. With an organization such as the BCWF, WSSBC, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, SCI, BHA or what have you; how does one get more involved than a monthly pub night or meeting. Going to be honest, the main reason I have become so heavily involved in the organizations I have been is because if I suddenly get a Tuesday off it is not wasted; I can go do something productive. What can the average member do to help any of the listed organizations at a given moment? Are we destined to just pay our dues and hope? True, there are trade shows and other events that must be manned but they are few and far between. The WSSBC leads the way in this with the sheep counts and burns but I honestly have no clue how to actively help any of the other organizations beyond sending them an annual deposit.

I know some will say attend the meetings, get on the executive and you will find out but honestly, I would not trust the future or reputation of my organization to someone I see for one hour once a month and would not expect them to do so. I have been on the boards of most clubs I have joined but that is because I showed up, put my time in and tried to understand what they were and who they wanted to be. That is impossible to accomplish over 12 to 16 hours a year. Nor is possible to have every member on the executive. But the heart of an organization is its people. But I firmly believe that they need to feel involved!

I am rambling so I will keep reduce this to 1 simple questions.

What can the 100,000 hunters in this province do on any given day (not an once a month meet up or weekend year but any spare moment they have) to help these organizations succeed?

we are doing the right thing. We’re different people with different jobs in different towns. We’re identifying problems and looking to the solutions. 100,000 hunters? Hmmmm....I know way too many hunters who do nothing, belong to nothing and participate rarely or not at all. We can all start by getting everyone involved at some level. Memberships at the very least. Check out WSSBC website they point out estimated costs of their projects and funds raised to date! Brilliant that is. Is shows a problem and a solution yet many ignore that and continue to complain.
We hold the keys to our own future and we’re letting it slip out of our hands! If we all got 10 -30 hunters, friends family involved at some level it would possibly start turning the tide. Yes and they in turn can see the benefits of helping great ideas and projects plus realize the way we vote has a tremendous impact on the future of hunting in this province.