PDA

View Full Version : Optics..where in BC?

chola
09-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Am looking for some places here in BC to upgrade my optics...binos, spotter,that sort of thing ...any recomendations or websites to browse...I know about opticsplanet and binoculars canada...thanks for any help

I am considering the Nikon monarchs in 8x42.....spotters,still unsure of...got around a $500 budget for each..should be able to get some decent glass for that I would think

SUAFOYT
09-14-2007, 09:42 PM
As we all know. optics are a personal thing. I have a pair of Nikon compacts, and after the lousy after sales service from Nikon, I will never buy a product of theirs again. The treatment from their service centre in Richmond was terrible. Buyer beware.

Steeleco
09-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Bob, when I bought my Monarch's from Binoculars Canada 2 years back, the rep on the phone told me they sell 6 or 7 of the 10x for each pair of the 8x.

They were the best deal I could find anywhere on the net at the time, and they will price match any add in Canada.

Yes I bought the 10x42's, they fit like gloves and worth every penny.

harbinger
09-14-2007, 10:05 PM
also consider the pentax dcf sp 8x42 same price range and nice glass w/ a hydrophobic type lense coating. Don't bother trying to get a good spotter for $500 I don't think they exist. If you have $500 for each combine the money and get a pair of leica, swaro, or brunton binos for around $1200. Then next year get a high quality spotter. Unless you are going sheep/goat hunting this year or hunting the alpine you should be able to make due without a spotting scope. Especially if you get the good binos right off the bat. If you have the money don't screw around and just buy the best binos you can.

todbartell
09-14-2007, 11:01 PM
I have the Monarch 10x42, they are a decent setup

Take a look through the new Bushnell Elite e2, they are a bit heavy but optically they are damn nice IMO

chola
09-15-2007, 05:25 AM
I'll have a boo at the Monarchs and Pentax today.....for the amount of times I would use a spotter,I think I would be much farther ahead to get a really good pair of binoculars and call her a day..I would like to buy locally and support the gunshops but it's kinda tough when they are upwards to $200-300 more than anywhere else in Canada..I'll keep ya posted...thanks for all the advice fellas

chola
09-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Leupold Pinnacles.got them for a shade under $500 taxes in...I had the cascades,but these are a bit more sharper and brighter...damn near bought a pair of Pentax XP 8x33's..pretty nice binos..may buy them anyway next week,they are about $200 cheaper locally than I have seen anywhere else including binoculars canada...the Bushnell Legends in 8x42 are very nice as well.I just won't buy another Bushnell product if I have a choice is all...bad customer service deal ...turned me off of them

troutseeker
09-16-2007, 09:39 PM
I have an older pair of Monarch's as well. 8X40 I think, thay do the job well. I find that 8X is best for me.

Troutseeker

ruttinbuck
09-20-2007, 08:50 PM
I have an older pair of Monarch's as well. 8X40 I think, thay do the job well. I find that 8X is best for me.

Troutseeker
X2
I bought the pinnacle 10X first,sold them to my pard, then bought the 8X.I found them more solid and clear than the 10X.
That said I sold the pinnacles in the off season and bought a pair of used zeiss dyalyt 8X30 I will be packing this season,they are just brighter than the pinnacles.RB

Gunner
09-20-2007, 10:11 PM
For the money the Pentax DCF SP 8X43's are a grat set of glasses.They can play with the big boys! Gunner