PDA

View Full Version : Nobody hunts black bears

todbartell
09-14-2007, 08:36 PM
I am a hunting license/tag issuer, and in the past couple weeks Ive filled out hundreds of guys licenses.

Nobody buys black bear tags in the fall. There is a very large population of black bears all across BC, including where I live.

What can the government/biologists do to make black bear hunting more appealing to hunters?

quadrakid
09-14-2007, 08:41 PM
make black bears taste like moose.

Steeleco
09-14-2007, 08:47 PM
TB, maybe like I do, others get both tags in the spring. I don't usually get my ungulate tags till closer to the season.

I think the government needs to kick start the attitude some people have towards bear hunting, "but they're so cute, why would you want to shoot them" is a very prevalent attitude.

Phil
09-14-2007, 08:52 PM
I bought both of mine in the spring just incase two beauties presented themselves. I only used one so the other will have to be cut later this fall when their coats have improved.

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-14-2007, 08:54 PM
I think part of the problem is ,that in reality average size black bears are a dime a dozen and not very challenging to hunt.Alot of guys cant get their families to eat the meat and the costs of tanning and taxidermy are expensive, also you have to know what your doing to properly skin a bear.

ruger#1
09-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Funny you should mention that, I just came back from hunting and seen a nice blakie , got within 30 yards of him. I dont buy bear tags nor do i hunt them.

Deerwhacker
09-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Im headin out tomorow and i have yet to take a bear ,if im luckey and see a legal bear its gettin blasted as i cant wait to try one.ive had only risky shots at bears and nothing 100% , Bear hunting is what drew me into start hunting, The thaught of takeing a potentialy dangerous animal is exiteing.

todbartell
09-14-2007, 09:18 PM
TB, maybe like I do, others get both tags in the spring

I go through the pages of a guys license to get to the first open page for putting a species license on, and most guys who bought their license in the spring/summer, dont already have a bear license. Some do though. I can get some stats tomorrow to show the % of bear tags per hunter

Phil
09-14-2007, 09:23 PM
The thaught of takeing a potentialy dangerous animal is exiteing.

I'm with ya there!

brotherjack
09-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Stop making you eat them. I've met literally dozens of guys who quit hunting bears when the 'pack the meat out' rule came into effect, and won't take it up again because of that law. The 'no bait' law also needs to go as well. Baiting is far and away the best way to see a lot of bears, and to have time to really size up the bear you're about to shoot.

The ambiguity of the situation in the spring is also an issue - as it's not nearly as hard as the books on bear habits would have you believe to catch a sow who left the cubs napping in the den for a few hours out wandering around feeding, and looking awfully much like a legal bear (not in the company of any bear 2 years or younger). But if yee olde CO finds you with a sow in the truck that even vaguely looks like she might have had cubs, you're in deep trouble - regardless of the fact that you shot what (as far as you could tell) was a lone (and thus, supposedly legal) bear. Due to similar circumstances some years ago, this is why I myself don't/won't hunt bears anymore.

Just food for thought...

Seeadler
09-14-2007, 09:27 PM
I buy mine in the spring.

Steeleco
I go through the pages of a guys license to get to the first open page for putting a species license on, and most guys who bought their license in the spring/summer, dont already have a bear license. Some do though. I can get some stats tomorrow to show the % of bear tags per hunter

DUH, never thought of that!! I would love to take a Boo bear, the ones I've seen when I've been up there were not tiny!!

BCLongshot
I don't know why...Most that I talk who don't hunt bear say it's the taste.

I buy my tag in the spring, other tags in the fall.

ryanb
09-14-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't hunt bears anymore because of the taste. Since I got a dog again, I might shoot one for dog food. I've had a chance to shoot dozens this year, and everytime it just seems like more hassle than its worth, so I pass them up. I had a big one made into a rug and don't need another big one, the meat is pretty blah, so don't really have any reason to hunt them anymore.

Derek_Erickson
09-14-2007, 10:02 PM
I bought a tag, If I see one, he's goin down

Mtnhunter
09-14-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm with brotherjack!
I stopped when you had to take all edible portions out!
Most I've skinned are full of roundworms!!

coolhunter
09-14-2007, 10:33 PM
First Sept ,I got a black bear (around 250lbs) in reg3 :grin:

308BAR
09-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Well I the thing is nobody wants to be caught with bear any parts. An like brotherjack mention a chances of getting a sow and leaving cubs could land you in deep waters. For the record I have a tag and when I size a good one up i'll take it.

Gateholio
09-14-2007, 11:09 PM
I'd say the main reasons are twofold:

Many people don' want to eat bears, so they don't liek the meat retention laws...And, many hunters are cheap when it comes to tags (and ammo)

The latter is the easiest to cure. Make black bear tags inexpensive, so a hunter only needs to shell out afew (10 or so) dollars for a bear tag.

As far as I can understand it, meat retention regs were put into place for political and/or ethical reasons, rather than any other reason. However, if you look at it, ALL meat retention rules are political/ethical:cool:

If taste of meat is an issue select a smaller bear. Smal bears are VERY tasty. If you want abig bear, then you are faced wiht the same as shooting a big moose. Meat may be tougher.

I realy dont' understand why someone will shoot a big, tough eating moose, and then complain that he has to retain the meat of a big, tough bear.:lol:

Bear hunting in the fall is often an "afterthought" so if a hunter "bumps into" a bear he wants or needs to shoot he does so. If the tag is cheap, the hunter will buy one, on the off chance he sees one he wants....And maybe if he has that tag, he will actually pursue the bears.

Will
09-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Stop making you eat them. I've met literally dozens of guys who quit hunting bears when the 'pack the meat out' rule came into effect
Exactly.....get rid of the "edible portions" regulation on Black Bears and reclass them as a "FurBearer" which they should be....:roll:
Same as Wolves, Grizz, Cougar, etc. what's the diff and why only Black Bears ?

Many would go back to taking 2 Bears a year for the Hides I'm sure;-)

Who really is gonna Eat 2 Bears every year anyways ???? :roll:

Mr. Dean
09-15-2007, 12:17 AM
I'd say the main reasons are twofold:

Many people don' want to eat bears, so they don't liek the meat retention laws...And, many hunters are cheap when it comes to tags (and ammo)

The latter is the easiest to cure. Make black bear tags inexpensive, so a hunter only needs to shell out afew (10 or so) dollars for a bear tag.

As far as I can understand it, meat retention regs were put into place for political and/or ethical reasons, rather than any other reason. However, if you look at it, ALL meat retention rules are political/ethical

If taste of meat is an issue select a smaller bear. Smal bears are VERY tasty. If you want abig bear, then you are faced wiht the same as shooting a big moose. Meat may be tougher.

I realy dont' understand why someone will shoot a big, tough eating moose, and then complain that he has to retain the meat of a big, tough bear.

Bear hunting in the fall is often an "afterthought" so if a hunter "bumps into" a bear he wants or needs to shoot he does so. If the tag is cheap, the hunter will buy one, on the off chance he sees one he wants....And maybe if he has that tag, he will actually pursue the bears.

I agree about the afterthought... But I'll also add that a spring bear is easier to judge the type of feed it's been on; they all NEED to graze after waking up. Hence (I believe) the better chances of taking a finer eater.

I bought 2 tags in the spring but quit hunting after the 1st one was cut. I thought that he'd more than do us through the year.

Likely won't fill the other tag either. I have been able to sample 5 different bears from the past spring and they all tasted as though they were one - I'm hooked on the spring hunts now.

Exactly.....get rid of the "edible portions" regulation on Black Bears and reclass them as a "FurBearer" which they should be....

Many would go back to taking 2 Bears a year for the Hides I'm sure

Who really is gonna Eat 2 Bears every year anyways ????

I could've. The one I got from the spring is pretty much all chewed up, and he was no slouch either. That's like asking who can posibly eat a full sized, mature bull Moose OR more than 3 Halibut in a year. :grin:

From what I have seen, people just can't seem to accept killing them because of their 'majestic' qualities or the perception of poor table fare.

It's really just an educational barrier IMO. The older folks/veteran hunters didn't have to eat them and they're now set in there ways about it. I on the other hand don't know any different. All I can rely on is what I've learned through self experiences and advice of trusted "experts".

Next spring, I'm in for 2. :eek:

elkdom
09-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Whatched two blk bears feeding in a field of green oats tonightone is over 7 ft the other maybe 6ft the larger one is dammed near as tall when on all 4s as a large round bale , same thoughts as lots of other guys, shot alotta bears over the last 30 years hunting,killed alot more while guiding for ten years, but I have a moose in the freezer from this season ive passed up a bull elk looking for real wallhanger , and im sure as hell not interested in any bear, now I buy allmy tags in April blk bear included and I would spend a Grand to have that fat boy I saw tonite mounted, But I dont want the dam meat and neither do the folks at the FOOD BANK. I think I may shoot that bear and send the meat to Gordon Cambell !!!

Gateholio
09-15-2007, 01:26 AM
I'd say that people need to look at why they hunt. Is it meat? Then shoot a smaller bear and be done wiht it. Is it trophy? Select a big bear wiht a nice coat and if yo don't like the meat, feed it to your dog and/or the yotes.

Meat retention just involves a little more effort. There is no law that states yu must consume it yourself.

Gateholio
09-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Whatched two blk bears feeding in a field of green oats tonightone is over 7 ft the other maybe 6ft the larger one is dammed near as tall when on all 4s as a large round bale , same thoughts as lots of other guys, shot alotta bears over the last 30 years hunting,killed alot more while guiding for ten years, but I have a moose in the freezer from this season ive passed up a bull elk looking for real wallhanger , and im sure as hell not interested in any bear, now I buy allmy tags in April blk bear included and I would spend a Grand to have that fat boy I saw tonite mounted, But I dont want the dam meat and neither do the folks at the FOOD BANK. I think I may shoot that bear and send the meat to Gordon Cambell !!!

Shoot the bear, recover the meat and hide to a residence , and do what you want with it. Many guys boil up thier bear meat, and freeze it, and feed it to thier dog, which is very valid, since you must feed your dog...

But if you want, once that meat hits home, legally it can go in the trash, it's up to you.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-15-2007, 06:54 AM

I'm working on it:roll:.
Won't be getting too many chances to put somthing tastier in the freezer this fall.
We prefer our game meat on the very pink side, not something you can do with bears.

I'm with will. Drop them back to furbearer status, drop the cost of a tag, put the yearly bag limit back up to 5(where it used to be).
Make it mandatory to pack out either the meat OR the hide. Pack out both if you want to.

The CO's always have their hands full this time of year when the bears drop back to the valley floor to feed in orchards, vineyards and on spawning kokanne. Reduce their population and help out the CO's.

SSS

Steeleco
09-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Exactly.....get rid of the "edible portions" regulation on Black Bears and reclass them as a "FurBearer" which they should be....:roll:

Many would go back to taking 2 Bears a year for the Hides I'm sure;-)

While I don't disagree changing the "edible portions" I'd have to ask, Just how many hides can one person use? In my mind, once a hunter has got the rug he/she's been looking for I'd think that person is going back to being a non bear hunter.

If I could get two bears year, I'd be looking for a third!!!

Marc
09-15-2007, 07:20 AM
I've been able to consume two bears a year for the past two years that I've managed to get two. My wife prefers the meat over deer. If I wasn't going to eat them I don't think I'd be hunting them.

ratherbefishin
09-15-2007, 07:32 AM
I have to disagree with wanting to do away with the edible portions rule-if for only a matter of PERSONAL ethics-unless its vermin-unless I'm going to eat it-I don't shoot it-just a simple respect for life I guess.

Now-as for eating bearmeat-we enjoy it-take a nice 3 or 4 year old medium sized bear, away from garbage and you've got some of the finest table fare available.I like it cured-we get the hams done just like Pork-cured and smoked-utterly delicious[and I've ''converted'' a few people after serving it]bear makes some of the best dinner sausage you have ever tasted-and we always get a good supply of pepperoni made.I render down the fat-comes out a nice hard white odourless lard ideal for making bread and pastries[the old timers would shoot a fall bear for the fat and cure the sides just like bacon]
The last couple we've discarded the hides,already have a nice one.

But-all I can say is-pick up a tag, and if you see a nice fall bear,take him and try some smoked bear hams, dinner sausage and pepperoni,and the next bear you see will likely be in serious trouble....

Just one caveat-don't shoot any bear down hill.......those are ''look at bears''-''nice bears'' are on logging roads or uphill from logging roads...

CanuckShooter
09-15-2007, 07:33 AM
I'd say that people need to look at why they hunt. Is it meat? Then shoot a smaller bear and be done wiht it. Is it trophy? Select a big bear wiht a nice coat and if yo don't like the meat, feed it to your dog and/or the yotes.

Meat retention just involves a little more effort. There is no law that states yu must consume it yourself.

Your not supposed to shoot bears under 2 yrs old??? Do they come with big numbers on their hips??? How many hunters don't shoot them for fear of getting one that is considered too little to hunt legally??

They should collect all unwanted bear meat and feed it to the homeless and incarcerated...and develop a market for bear meat, galls and other useful parts around the world.

mapguy
09-15-2007, 07:34 AM
fall bears are too fat , messy to clean , hides are probably not to good with this heat . there there ok for pepperoni but it's hard to find a buthcher that has the time to get all the fat off . the fat taste really bad no wonder people won't eat it . the only good s ones i've eaton i cleaned the meat myself and took it to the buthcher for pepperoni and sausage . all spring bears

Marc
09-15-2007, 07:46 AM
I don't expect or trust a butcher to ensure all the fat is removed. I prepare all my own meat that's going to the butcher and make sure that any fat is removed before it gets made into sausage. A bear that's been feeding on berries all fall is hard to beat for eating.

fall bears are too fat , messy to clean , hides are probably not to good with this heat . there there ok for pepperoni but it's hard to find a buthcher that has the time to get all the fat off . the fat taste really bad no wonder people won't eat it . the only good s ones i've eaton i cleaned the meat myself and took it to the buthcher for pepperoni and sausage . all spring bears

ratherbefishin
09-15-2007, 08:22 AM
I think a lot of people have been put off by the idea of eating garbage bears,or bears feeding on salmon-but the bears we have taken are fall bears fat from eating berries,and all I can say is-if you like ham,dinner sausage or pepperoni-at least try it before passing judgement

The Hermit
09-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Im headin out tomorow and i have yet to take a bear ,if im luckey and see a legal bear its gettin blasted as i cant wait to try one.ive had only risky shots at bears and nothing 100% , Bear hunting is what drew me into start hunting, The thaught of takeing a potentialy dangerous animal is exiteing.

YEAH especially with a bow! I shot mine at 13 yards, total pass through. He ran up a tree and when he came down the first time I gotta admit I was pretty "alert" and feeling a vulnerable! Died in 45 seconds. Not sure I would do this wth a grizz without backup gunner. Any volunteers? :biggrin:

Will
09-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Well nobody has answered WHY Black Bears are no longer a Fur Bearing animal ? Sure without a doubt it was largely in part to eliminate the antis from showing thier pics of freshly killed and skinned bears every spring...politics without question. However most of thier concerns were about Galls and such which Poachers still take so the meat rule effectively accomplished nothing other then fill up the landfills and discourage a large portion of Black Bear harvests.

What's next then ? Grizz ? Wolf ? Cougar ? Coyote ? What then about the Dozens of critters taken or trapped for pelts....beavers, linx, bobcats, martin, squirrels and such ? Should we all be eating them too ?

See my point ? There is certainly NO shortage of Black Bears in BC, in fact I'd say thier numbers need to be "managed" better...at least around here they certainly do.

Remove the "Meat" requirements and you will see an increase in Bear Hunting....Pretty simple really.

Tanya
09-15-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't know about the "Nobody hunts black bears" statement. I have certainly seen more bb hunters out and about in the spring in the last couple of years than 6 or 7 years ago. Perhaps that is regional.

As far as the must take edible portions rule goes I support it. Boil it in chunks, bag it and feed it to canine yours or someone else's. If you break it down in the field instead of trying to bring out the whole bear it is definitely easier.

Spring bears taste better than fall ones due to less fat, and it is easier to judge a sow from a boar in the spring as well. And, like any animals of course, the younger ones are easier to chew. The hides in the fall are thick and beautiful, at least the ones we have taken have been. In spring they can be rubbed. So, it really depends on what you are after, best quality meat, or nice hide. A home can only hold so many bear rugs, and heads.

Marc nailed it on removing the fat. We cut and wrap all our own meat anyway on an old arborite table in our mud room. It really doesn't take very long once you've done it a time or two. Bear meat lends itself well to curing. We make corned bear out of some portions and then freeze roasts to be cut up later for stew. Bear stew made with root veggies like carrot, parsnip, onion, sweet tater, and spuds is very, very good. As stated by others pepperoni, other sausage and ham is tasty bear fare.

Whether your priority is meat or hide really is it not all about the hunt? I love the adrenalin kick I get when I am in bow or shotgun or even close rifle range of a bear, it is always to me at another level than the rush I get from other large game. But, again we all hunt for our own reasons. Next on my bear list is a good colour phase bear, or an Island bear in the 20 inch class with my bow.

YukonJack
09-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Well nobody has answered WHY Black Bears are no longer a Fur Bearing animal ?

But they are..!....if you offer the pelt for sale, you must pay the royalty. Still listed as fur-bearers in the trapping regs.

todbartell
09-15-2007, 08:51 AM
From September 1-14th

213 Hunting Licenses

212 Moose tags

218 Mule Deer tags

128 Whitetail Deer tags

99 Elk tags

33 Black Bear tags

1 in 6 hunters bought black bear licenses

Year to date - 508 Hunting Licenses ~ 171 Black bear tags

1 in 3 hunters buy bear tags (some may buy multiples, so its for sure less than 1-3)

Will
09-15-2007, 09:05 AM
But they are..!....if you offer the pelt for sale, you must pay the royalty. Still listed as fur-bearers in the trapping regs.
Yes I also read the regs....
But the point is they are the Only "Furbearer" that one must remove the edible portions from.

So why not everything else then ?

Bruinhunter
09-15-2007, 10:17 AM
I just got a fall bear last week. This bear is really fat. Bear meat tastes really good if you process it properly. I almost shoot two bears every year.:lol:

BCLongshot
09-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Ya those stats are what I figured.

It's pretty simple most guys just don't want to. Most people regardless want deer,moose and elk. We have less hunters and that's why the population is increasing.

The anti's are powerless against the truth. We are brainwashed into not speaking out, not offending anyone.

Some guys will try it but most of it is we're busy and when they do get out they want the other.

mapguy
09-15-2007, 11:22 AM
well i have to agree with mark on the fat
yes it does make a really good stew tanya try shooting one coming off a bank in mid air tanya that will get you hopping hehehehehe

Gateholio
09-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Your not supposed to shoot bears under 2 yrs old??? Do they come with big numbers on their hips??? How many hunters don't shoot them for fear of getting one that is considered too little to hunt legally??

They should collect all unwanted bear meat and feed it to the homeless and incarcerated...and develop a market for bear meat, galls and other useful parts around the world.

Bears under 2 years old are generally in a family unit.:smile:

kgriz
09-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Without getting into the debate of the ethics of " to eat or not to eat" etc. When deciding on bear hunting remember this:
1. as per the change to the regulations in the past couple of years, portions of meat that are damaged by method of taking ie. inedible shocked meat from shooting, can be left. Bears are dangerous game and more than one shot may be required.
2. The wasting and use of game meat technically only refers to getting it to your primary residence. Once at your house it is your business of what you do with it or at least the was the interpretation of a CO I called.

Point to remember: If you intend to feed a bear to your dog(s), I recommend that you look up minimum cooking or freezing durations to mitigate problems from Trichinosis as animals are susceptable to this as well.

mapguy
09-15-2007, 02:58 PM
getting it to a buthcher and having him dispose of it i legal i think

ryanb
09-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I don't really believe removing the meat rule will make much difference. How many bear rugs can anyone have? So if you don't eat the meat, and don't want the hide, what exactly is the point to shooting a bear?

I don't think that many hunters want to go out and shoot bears for no other purpose than to kill them, especially at 20 bucks a tag. But that's just my opinion.

308Lover
09-15-2007, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't go out of my way to shoot a black bear because to do it right is an awesome amount of work----skinning carefully, and getting the hide tanned. You could donate the hide, but that's not easy. The meat is sometimes fair to good, but also can be risky. Freezing does not kill all types of parasite eggs.I've eaten great bear meat, slow roasted with pork fat over it.I've seen lots here recently, but I'm after moose and deer. Maybe it's just habit.

Derek_Erickson
09-15-2007, 09:19 PM
:eek:I almost actually had a chance at a fairly good bear this evening, but he got spooked off:eek:

Gateholio
09-15-2007, 11:23 PM
I don't really believe removing the meat rule will make much difference. How many bear rugs can anyone have? So if you don't eat the meat, and don't want the hide, what exactly is the point to shooting a bear?

The point is to go hunting and have some fun. Sorta like coyote hunting. You arent' going to eat it, you may keep a few hides if you want, but it sure is fun calling them in and shooting them.

Hides can be sold, if you have too many rugs. Same as yote hides.

Gateholio
09-15-2007, 11:28 PM
I'd say that unless a bear is eating salmon and "fishy" there are dozens of ways to use the meat of even a large bear, that nobody will turn up thier nose at.

You can grind the whole thing up and make great chili, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, you can chunk it and simmer for several hours in a robust stew, you can turnit into fresh sausages (I find many bear salamis to have a poor texture, but fresh sausages turn out nice)

You can pot roast large roasts with lots of seasonings, too...Many options for a bear, but grilling steaks isn't a good option unless the bear is small.

BowsUp
09-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Shot my first one this spring and based on flavour, I'll shoot more.

Always bought a bear tag in previous seasons as the simple solution to what to do about a nuisance bear hanging around your camp. For $20 a year we have had no black bear problems.

Then there was the year a grizz hit our meat overnight ...:eek: