PDA

View Full Version : The CWD epidemic is still growing...

Opinionated Ol Phart
01-21-2019, 10:19 AM
Does not look good for BC. The disease is likely to cross the rock pile... http://www.northlandoutdoors.com/2019/01/18/cwd-battle-heats-up-in-minnesota-fatal-deer-disease-keeps-spreading-has-crossed-species/?fbclid=IwAR0tlt0bzmHBT-xzFgydIe8ARpblGpTcjmKIPQo-ZezviqjWtdDFrdGzFvY

steelslinger
01-21-2019, 11:17 AM
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/wildlife/wildlife-health/wildlife-diseases/chronic-wasting-disease

IronNoggin
01-21-2019, 04:52 PM
And just next door...

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/wildlife-diseases/chronic-wasting-disease/cwd-updates/default.aspx

Spooky Chit this stuff!!

Nog

bownut
01-21-2019, 05:59 PM
I have been giving this site the heads up for how long?
This is why more States and provinces don't allow baiting anymore.

OH NO I SAID THE 'B' WORD!

I may get time in the box.........

BRvalley
01-21-2019, 06:06 PM
interesting article here, might be a bit of hope

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/acid-found-soil-may-make-disease-killing-deer-less-infectious

2chodi
01-21-2019, 06:17 PM
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters is hosting a CWD event:

https://www.ofah.org/conference/

BriarPatch
01-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Interesting that the main outbreaks are centered around deer farms.

Sounds a lot like the scrapie outbreak in sheep in the UK, that lead to BSE/Mad Cow Disease in cattle that was caused by feeding cattle with protein rich pellets that were made from sheep parts and if I recall correctly the government changed the rules and allowed the mixture to be treated at a lower temperature than previously to save costs.

ajr5406
01-21-2019, 06:41 PM
Still waiting on the CWD results from the mule deer I shot in Alberta in Nov. The area we hunting is a hot spot for CWD. It’s a huge problem, and we need to do everything we can to slow it down.

Jordan f.
01-21-2019, 07:32 PM
Do everything you can to keep it out of BC (if it's not already there).

It's getting worse and worse, here in Alberta.

Red_Mist
01-21-2019, 07:43 PM

russm86
01-22-2019, 10:43 AM

I guess deer never eat or drink from the same natural food sources or puddles then huh? The baiting thing was pushed by antihunters first and they just used the CWD to further it. Has there actually been any scientific evidence of transfer from bait vs natural or even agricultural? I would think stagnant ponds/puddles would be far worse as during the warmer months they'd likely be ideal temps for all kinds of stuff to live/thrive in. Guess we shouldn't allow farmers to put out water or salt blocks for the cattle then, or even store their hay outside either, as deer use all of these regularly and they are far more abundant than the odd bait pile that maybe 10% of hunters use.

Throwaway
01-22-2019, 01:52 PM
Bud, show me a natural source that congregates deer like a truck bed full of carrots. There’s nothing that calorie dense in nature. If there was there would be no need to bait.

saskbooknut
01-22-2019, 02:13 PM
Bait, grain piles or leaking bins, alfalfa fields, apples in season - lots of concentrators of deer.

Ourea
01-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Use a small amount of attractant on the landscape and some cry CWD!!! CWD!!!
Meanwhile, back in reality, here are your areas of prime concern if and when it shows.
Ranches and agriculture plots have hundreds of tonnes of concentrated feed that wildlife devour ...... but we should focus on that single block of salt or bag of grain when wildlife is not concentrated seems a bit of a priority mix up if you are concerned about the disease?

https://i.imgur.com/OwdZgJu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/n6oXWkN.jpg

Wild one
01-22-2019, 03:45 PM
CWD is no doubt a future concern and reality is it is likely a good number of years before it reaches BC. Fact of the matter is baiting or no baiting the only way CWD is not going to spread through BC is if there is a major breakthrough to combat it

So if CWD is a huge fear of yours maybe consider BC should add some support to Alberta and Saskatchewan in seeking a solution. Or wait till it reaches BC and pray someone has found a solution to CWD

Till then the elitists and masterbaiters can fight it out about how baiting does or does not increase the spread of CWD that has not breached central Alberta let alone crossed the Rockies into BC.

Ourea
01-22-2019, 03:59 PM
Wildlife managers know full well the primary concern is the transportation of out of province wildlife to BC.
Numerous BC boys hunt AB and Sask every year with some driving back with their buck in the back.
That is the conduit and area of concern to focus on.
Keep the disease out.

Wild one
01-22-2019, 04:03 PM
Wildlife managers know full well the primary concern is the transportation of out of province wildlife to BC.
Numerous BC boys hunt AB and Sask every year with some driving back with their buck in the back.
That is the conduit and area of concern to focus on.
Keep the disease out.

Agree and support the restrictions in place on what can be brought back from those hunts. Hunters transporting CWD into BC is a bigger threat then baiting at this time

Sitkaspruce
01-22-2019, 09:00 PM

Bud, show me a natural source that congregates deer like a truck bed full of carrots. There’s nothing that calorie dense in nature. If there was there would be no need to bait.

Weird how Alberta does not allow baiting, yet it showed up there and is slowing spreading.....weird eh?

Up here in the ag zone, deer and elk feed where they can find food: cereal fields, hay bails, a salt lick or bag of grain...…

But once again, hunters forcing their own point of view on other because they "Know" what is best for ALL of us.....they should be fighting the anti's, but other hunters are a lot easier, especially behind a key board....

Cheers

SS

Throwaway
01-22-2019, 11:21 PM
I agree that ag has to step up its game too and is a much larger factor but how can we expect change from an industry and not lead by example??

Ourea
01-23-2019, 12:53 AM
I agree that ag has to step up its game too and is a much larger factor but how can we expect change from an industry and not lead by example??

Industry will be a tough one to actually get on board when it comes to high risk situations.
Do they stop feeding cattle in the winter.
Do farmers fence all of their land with 8' ft barriers.
Do clubs stop their winter feeding programs.

I see over 20 MD in a 1 acre orchard next door daily....deer shit under your shoe every step.

Key is do not allow mechanisms to be in play the will bring the disease here.

russm86
01-23-2019, 12:10 PM

You must not have any alf-alfa fields around you. Any field here has minimum 20+ deer in it.

You obviously haven't tried baiting either, maybe other areas are different, but where I've tried, you're unlikely to get more than 2 or 3 deer come through at the same time and usually it's just individual deer and usually the same dozen or so deer over the whole year. There aren't hordes of them coming out left right and centre and they do not seem to go out of their way to come to bait so you're not pulling them from all over the country side.

I have had 3 stands/cameras setup within 200 yards of each other and each cam has different deer, none of them overlap or wander to the other stands, so the deer obviously only use the same trail time and time again. Even when the bait ran out, they never went to either of the other 2 stands. There is so much natural food out there its basically if they happen to wonder across it they will eat it, otherwise they don't go out of their way. In the interior here some areas water can be more scarce than food at times so I imagine some small water holes that last through the 40degree heat of summer would have substantially more deer visiting than a random bait pile. Even the neighbours hay barns seem to have more deer at them.

If they can prove that CWD transmission by bait piles is a substantial risk compared to agriculture and water holes etc then by all means I'll stand behind a ban, but if we are talking about something that accounts for less than 1% of all the other means of transmission, then there's absolutely no point. As I said previously, they need more research/info.

Wild one
01-23-2019, 12:53 PM
The reality of it is measures to prevent CWD reaching BC is the only real concern BC has at this time. BCs present restrictions on what is brought into BC from out of province hunts is wise. Creating a plan to combat CWD from taking hold in BC should be considered because it is spreading west and bait bans along with culls are not stopping the spread

Supporting Alberta/Saskatchewan in finding away to end CWD or at least stop the spread would be wise. Presently many are probably thinking it’s not BCs problem or we will deal with it when it gets here.

Those freaking out about bait in BC because of CWDs you’re efforts would be way more effective put towards trying to prevent CWD ever reaching BCs ungulates. Bait ban is not going to do it Alberta has had one for a long time and CWD is still spreading

Throwaway
01-23-2019, 04:42 PM
Grew up in Southern Ontario. Well familiar with baiting and ag fields full of deer. A whole field doesn’t compare to a 10 x 10 patch at the end of a shooting lane. Also it’s not one time congregation it lives in the soil. 5 infected deer out of a 100 across an acre is a lot different than 5 infected deer on a bait pile. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe you’re right but baiting is a weird cross to want to die on. I’m not talking legislation making baiting illegal I’m just saying maybe educating hunters in the Kootenays and Peace that baiting COULD have POTENTIAL adverse impact. Is that fair enough bro?

Wild one
01-23-2019, 05:22 PM
Grew up in Southern Ontario. Well familiar with baiting and ag fields full of deer. A whole field doesn’t compare to a 10 x 10 patch at the end of a shooting lane. Also it’s not one time congregation it lives in the soil. 5 infected deer out of a 100 across an acre is a lot different than 5 infected deer on a bait pile. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe you’re right but baiting is a weird cross to want to die on. I’m not talking legislation making baiting illegal I’m just saying maybe educating hunters in the Kootenays and Peace that baiting COULD have POTENTIAL adverse impact. Is that fair enough bro?

I don’t bait or could careless if it’s legal or not but I do know for a fact a ban on baiting has done nothing to stop CWD from spreading

So ask your self this is it worth dwelling over baiting in BC where there is no CWD or is it worth pushing for effort into researching options to prevent CWD from reaching BC?

Like I said baiting has been illegal in Alberta for along time and CWD is still spreading west towards BC so do you think a bait ban in BC will stop CWD if it reaches BC?

Personally I don’t like wasting effort into ineffective precautions when it could be focused in a more effective manner that is more likely to be supported by all.

Walking Buffalo
08-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Is this thread about recipies for CWD?

Nice move HBC.... :rolleyes:

Trail cam discussion goes to Gear....
Should I be looking for BCWF announcements in the Bugs and Glitches forum?

Walking Buffalo
10-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Finally, something that associates this thread to the Recipe forum.

Prions "killed by bleach".
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0223659

Bambi and Bleach Broth.
Two pounds CWD positive venison.
A gallon of 40% bleach.

Put bleach and venison in a pot and simmer for a while.
Keep the overhead fan on.
Pour the broth into a separate bowl.
Send the remaining venison to gov.bc for disposal.

Enjoy your CWD free meal.

saskbooknut
10-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Bleach does not destroy prions in tissue. Read the article. This is important.
Bleach only destroyed residual prions with no tissue on tools and equipment.

Walking Buffalo
10-11-2019, 04:37 PM
Read the recipe. This is important. ;)
Throw out the meat.... drink the bleach.

saskbooknut
10-12-2019, 05:47 AM
I'm not one for lame humour in a deadly serious topic.

Walking Buffalo
10-12-2019, 11:20 AM
I'm not one for lame humour in a deadly serious topic.

This is the Recipe forum.

This thread finally includes a recipe for CWD.

Lear about Dark humor, it may be enlightening.