PDA

View Full Version : Bc backcountry hunter angler assoc.

Steelpulse
01-21-2019, 02:16 AM
Anyone going to the meeting in Burnaby next week? What are the perks/costs/general idea of the association. I’d join if it’s something worth joining. Will be attending next week at the rugby club to see what it’s all about

Wentrot
01-21-2019, 07:34 AM
Maybe I’ll see you there. Iv been very curious as well and this would be a good chance to ask questions.

Piperdown
01-21-2019, 07:53 AM
Never heard of this group who is behind it??

BriarPatch
01-21-2019, 08:26 AM
when is the meeting?

Chrispryn
01-21-2019, 08:37 AM
Do a quick google search fellas. Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.

Non profit organisation originated in US where they are battling the public land issues.
BC opened a chapter in 2014 in the Kootenays. They are working with local local organizations, guides and first nations out there.

Region 2 ( the burnaby meeting ) only got rolling in Feb of 2018 with 12 guys having a beer. Now the room is full of eager and willing to contribute outdoors people.

Obviously BC doesnt have the public land issue in the same way that the US does but we sure have our own issues.

Come down, have a beer, see what you think.

January 31st
7 - 9 PM
Burnaby Rugby Club

Steelpulse
01-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Yep see you all there. Also this meeting will have a dude/goat guy/guide talking about some winter goat tactics from last years hunt in the late season.
I’m sure will be some new hunters as some veterans.
Anyways I’ll be the one in the camo hat hahah
ill bring a hi my name is steelpulse

01-21-2019, 09:31 AM
Do the BHA support predator hunting? I heard through the grapevine that they don’t, but that may be entirely inaccurate.

Chrispryn
01-21-2019, 09:36 AM
Absolutely support predator hunting.

Jordan f.
01-21-2019, 10:18 AM
The BC chapter seems to be growing well! Congrats.

It's a good organization doing some good thing. I'd encourage anyone interested, to go have a beer and see what they're all about!

Arctic Lake
01-21-2019, 11:53 AM
Hmmmm Sounds interesting might go and have a listen
Arctic Lake

Jordan f.
01-21-2019, 02:00 PM
Do the BHA support predator hunting? I heard through the grapevine that they don’t, but that may be entirely inaccurate.

I'm BHA. Vocal about my love for spring black bear. Vocal that I want a grizz hunt in both BC and Alberta.

I'm also trying to learn wolves... but for the life of me, can't seem to connect on one. But I am out there freezing my a$$ off trying to call em in hahaha

Gateholio
01-21-2019, 03:27 PM
Who are the directors of the BC BHA? Are they on HBC?

Chrispryn
01-21-2019, 03:37 PM
https://www.backcountryhunters.org/british_columbia_chapter_board

Elkaholic
01-21-2019, 03:47 PM

Very judgmental on certain ways of hunting though!!! I find its a very our way or no way with folks in that group. Has kept me very far from joining them. I for one am a believe of if its legal fill your boots who am I to judge your way. But unless you like hiking in the back country and only foot powered then it seems to not be the group for you. One comment was from a guy high up in the group too, just shows their true colors IMO. I would love to someone to change my mind.

Chrispryn
01-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Very judgmental on certain ways of hunting though!!! I find its a very our way or no way with folks in that group. Has kept me very far from joining them. I for one am a believe of if its legal fill your boots who am I to judge your way. But unless you like hiking in the back country and only foot powered then it seems to not be the group for you. One comment was from a guy high up in the group too, just shows their true colors IMO. I would love to someone to change my mind.

I disagree with you comment mate, I'm not going to try to convince you on a forum though.

Show up for a beer and a chat, make up your own mind. I'll buy your first pint!

Cheers

markathome
01-21-2019, 04:20 PM
Who are the directors of the BC BHA? Are they on HBC?

I'm an organizer for Region 2. I'm not sure if any of the fellas from the EK are on HBC - I kind of doubt it as I'm pretty sure most of those guys don't have FB or Insta so doubtful if they're on forums. That said - the current provincial leaders are smart, well organized women and men who have BC's wildlife and habitat as their primary concern.

The mission statement for the BHA is we seek to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of wild public lands and waters. We're a conservation group - full stop. We want to see an increase of wildlife on the landscape - wild life needs wild places. If we can't get the landscape right, we're not going to see more wildlife.

We're not anti quad or anti horse or anti anything. We're pro habitat and pro wildlife. I will say one thing though - gun legislation is not on our agenda and won't be.

Every MU has a monthly pint night. Lower Mainland is the last Thursday of the month at the Burnaby Rugby Club. Almost 1000 members province wide.

Shoot me a message here (don't check it much), or an email (mark_r@telus.net) or a text 604-815-9678 if you want more information about the pint nights.

Come on out - there's beer.

jennylyyy
01-21-2019, 04:39 PM
Hey Everyone,

It's awesome to see so much interest about the BC BHA on here!

I manage the events and sponsorships at the BC BHA. We're currently working on updating our website to better explain all the hard work that is happening behind the scenes to keep our wild places, wild. Furthermore, explain how folks (like yourself) that are interested in giving back their time can get involved.

Jan 31 @Burnaby Lake Ruby Club 7-10pm:
- Nolan Osborn from The Journal of Mountain Hunting will be there talking about late-season goat hunting
- Afterwards, we will have a quick meeting to go over the projects we are working on
- Bring up concerns about the wildlife in your area, and ask questions
- Non-members welcome!

We welcome everyone that loves the backcountry it doesn't matter if you're a hunter, hunting curious, hiker, dirt biker etc...

Come say hi, I'm most likely be the only 5'3 Asian gal there.

See everyone there :)

steve-r
01-21-2019, 05:53 PM
"We're not anti quad or anti horse or anti anything. We're pro habitat and pro wildlife. I will say one thing though - gun legislation is not on our agenda and won't be."

where does BHA stand on protecting Hunting and Fishing rights?

Jordan f.
01-21-2019, 07:36 PM
"We're not anti quad or anti horse or anti anything. We're pro habitat and pro wildlife. I will say one thing though - gun legislation is not on our agenda and won't be."

It's at the top of the list.

01-21-2019, 08:02 PM
Gun legislation does have the potential to affect wildlife. Hunters provide 60-90% of the money used for wildlife management in North America, depending on the jurisdiction. Draconian gun laws that act as a barrier shooting and hunting will inevitably reduce money available for wildlife.
Gun laws should be the concern of any Hunter-based conservation organization.

roymil
01-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Jenny , enjoyed the story of your hunt you told at the Cranbrook BHA gig , very entertaining. Keep the journey going.

jennylyyy
01-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Jenny , enjoyed the story of your hunt you told at the Cranbrook BHA gig , very entertaining. Keep the journey going.

Glad to hear you got a few laughs in. I was so nervous, I was shitting bricks. Thanks for coming and listening!

markathome
01-21-2019, 10:00 PM

Steve-r. We're doing all we can for a small group. We're at the table during the upcoming IMPROVING WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AND HABITAT CONSERVATION meetings with the Province (as are many outdoor recreation groups). The fellas in the Kootenay's have collaborated and put together a round table of stake holders to help guide habitat and wildlife management in Region 4.

We've set up a letter and met and greet campaign with our region's MLA's and many of our members sit down with their MLA's and tell them hunting and fishing is important to us and we remind those MLA's that we are voters.

Hope that helps.

markathome
01-21-2019, 10:22 PM
Gun legislation does have the potential to affect wildlife. Hunters provide 60-90% of the money used for wildlife management in North America, depending on the jurisdiction. Draconian gun laws that act as a barrier shooting and hunting will inevitably reduce money available for wildlife.
Gun laws should be the concern of any Hunter-based conservation organization.

325. I don't disagree with your comments. In our case, we're choosing to put the most horsepower into habitat and wildlife. We feel we're better off not diluting the gas in the motor by trying to be everything to every hunter. Hope that helps clarify.

TexasWalker
01-22-2019, 12:59 AM
I've asked a lot of questions and always seem to get dodgy answers.
Hard to get black and white answers from "official" people in my experience.
Particularly surrounding motorized access and the BHA supporting the Y2Y initiative.

jennylyyy
01-22-2019, 08:18 AM
Particularly surrounding motorized access and the BHA supporting the Y2Y initiative.

I would encourage you to take Mark up on his offer and give him a call, as things can be easily misinterpreted via text.

ElectricDyck
01-22-2019, 08:44 AM
https://www.greendecoys.com/decoys/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

What do you think about this?

BriarPatch
01-22-2019, 09:37 AM
ElectricDyck

If this is correct any hunter or fisherman should be very wary about any organisation linked to the Pew foundation

325. I don't disagree with your comments. In our case, we're choosing to put the most horsepower into habitat and wildlife. We feel we're better off not diluting the gas in the motor by trying to be everything to every hunter. Hope that helps clarify.

This comment in itself makes me feel uneasy and feels like a deflection, but maybe I will go to the meeting & listen.

TexasWalker
01-22-2019, 01:58 PM
I would encourage you to take Mark up on his offer and give him a call, as things can be easily misinterpreted via text.

With all due respect I disagree, simple yes or no questions should be easily answered.
The only reason they are being left to interpretation is because they aren't being answered but rather left open ended in Trudeauesque fashion.
It makes people weary.

Wooderson604
01-22-2019, 02:20 PM
With all due respect I disagree, simple yes or no questions should be easily answered.
The only reason they are being left to interpretation is because they aren't being answered but rather left open ended in Trudeauesque fashion.
It makes people weary.

I dont believe you have asked a direct question on this forum. You're talking about motorized access. Are you looking for more? Are you looking to have less? These are misinterpretations that are problematic on a forum.

As a BHA member for Region 2, I have not seen or heard any discrimination towards a certain way of hunting as long as it is sustainable and not in conflict with other BHA values.

If you have a certain initiative you are passionate about or want to discuss a topic up that BHA might be able to help with, come to a meeting and bring it up with the group. You dont have to be a member to be at a meeting.

J_T
01-22-2019, 02:38 PM
I've been a BC BHA member for about 3 years. I reside in Cranbrook and I attend most of the meetings. I also sit on the KWC (Kootenay Wildlife Coalition) with members of BC BHA, BCWF, SE Guides, BCTA. I've known many of the members there for a number of years. They recently held a full day strategic workshop and an evening of story telling, which was a room full of success. They streamed live on fb. The membership is new in R2, but growing quickly. I'm not a director and not a person in a position of authority to answer questions or speak to their policies. They are, developing a voice within BC, with Government, with other organizations. It's a good, active group of great like-minded people. While I might not agree entirely with all of their policies (only because I haven't taken the time to assess them) , I do align to most of them. I wouldn't want anyone to be passing judgement on them too quickly.

Greenthumbed
01-22-2019, 04:09 PM
If you care about fish and wildlife and wild places then BHA is for you. BHA is the fastest growing conservation organization in North America. I'm a member of BHA.

markathome
01-22-2019, 04:37 PM

Hi TexasWalker. Hit me up. What's your question(s)?

I'll do my best answer it (them) in a clear and concise fashion.

Foxton Gundogs
01-22-2019, 05:15 PM

From what I have seen their Mission Statement has been torn from the BCWF play book. We don't nee another conservation group, we need a Hunter/Angler group. And to support hunters they need to support firearms rights. The above statement sums t up for me. 1 BCWF is enough IMHO

barry1974w
01-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Wasn’t I reading somewhere the other day that the parent group is the states has some loose ties to a some anti gun groups. I think it was in an article about meat eaters new honchos

Keta1969
01-22-2019, 07:20 PM
From what I have seen their Mission Statement has been torn from the BCWF play book. We don't nee another conservation group, we need a Hunter/Angler group. And to support hunters they need to support firearms rights. The above statement sums t up for me. 1 BCWF is enough IMHO

I'm not a member of BHA but am of BCWF and when I read comments like this I'm curious how a new hunter angler group will present itself to the general population at large that are not hunters. Will there not be a conservation component to any new group? If you're only going to argue and campaign for hunting without mentioning conservation I don't think the message will be well received. What will this new new group offer in this regard and how will conservation plans be funded? Just really think that any group of hunters that can't show how they are supporting conservation won't get far. By the way before some one jumps on this I know there are individuals and organizations that don't belong to BHA or BCWF that do good work. My point is that if you are concerned about conservation there will come a time where some members will demand you take a stance because for conservation concerns that they see affects their particular area or style of hunting, and when you don't, well we've seen what happens.

TexasWalker
01-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Hi TexasWalker. Hit me up. What's your question(s)?

I'll do my best answer it (them) in a clear and concise fashion.

Does BHA support Y2Y?

Sitkaspruce
01-22-2019, 09:45 PM
I have been looking into this for a while and find so much info on the pluses and minus of this group in the states that I just cannot get involved. And now I hear some negatives in Alberta and access to the backcountry. Of course you have to take everything on the WWW with a grain of salt, but there seems to be a repeating trend

http://www.americanlandscouncil.org/backcountry_hunters_anglers_reveals_thier_radical_ side

https://www.activistfacts.com/organizations/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

https://www.greendecoys.com/decoys/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

There is no chapter in the NE and I wonder why? How about Central BC?

Is the BC chapters attached to the US chapters or are they stand alone group?
What are BHA views on the Grizzly Hunt? Trophy Hunting? Use of crossbows in archery season? Lots of "hunter and Hunting" related questions that I cannot find answers to for BC only.

Do we really need another conservation group in BC? We have the BCWF, Wild sheep society of BC and now BHA. Can they all work together or will there be another divide and we will end up fighting over the smaller piece of pie....and the limited funds hunters and anglers have?

Not bad mouthing the BHA, just curious as to where they truly stand in BC and do they get their marching orders from the US?

Cheers

SS

Cabled
01-23-2019, 08:20 AM
Does BHA support Y2Y?
Just out of curiosity, what are people’s thoughts on Y2Y? I’ve seen them through social media for a couple years and can’t decide what to think of them as far as hunting goes. A little digging on their website shows they claim to support ethical hunting and fishing as long as it’s fair chase... pretty vague statement that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Just curious what others think?

Rackmastr
01-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are people’s thoughts on Y2Y? I’ve seen them through social media for a couple years and can’t decide what to think of them as far as hunting goes. A little digging on their website shows they claim to support ethical hunting and fishing as long as it’s fair chase... pretty vague statement that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Just curious what others think?

A lot of good reading/conversation/debate on Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum regarding Y2Y. Rob Miskosky has written a few articles/editorials about them as well. Several threads on the board though about them if you want to do a bit more reading.

338win mag
01-23-2019, 09:09 AM
Are there any RP bio's on the board of any of the BC chapters?

Walking Buffalo
01-23-2019, 09:35 AM

The only hunting Y2Y supports is by Indigenous people.

Where politically expedient to obtain Parks status for lands, they may consent to allow reduced licenced hunting, for now.

You will NEVER find the Y2Y organization lobby for increasing hunting.

I would keep an eye on how BC BHA aligns themselves with the lobbying for new Parks.
So far in Alberta, BHA has sided with Y2Y in creating more land that is off limits to hunting.

BriarPatch
01-23-2019, 09:46 AM
I am not trying to be negative & appreciate that some organisations like the BCWF have done some good but do not believe that the BCWF represents the interests of hunters or fisherman any more and is now just another environmental group.

A few questions for myself would be:-

Where do they stand on the Y2Y?

If they are a hunting & fishing organisation, exactly where do they stand on Firearms?

If they are not supporting firearms rights then why not since these go hand in hand with hunting?

Who is funding them & exactly what groups are they or their parent foundations affiliated with and do they have any involvement with the PEW Foundation?

Where do they stand on the Grizzly hunt?

Maybe a member of the group could post the operating mandate on here together with funding sources, I am sure this would be public information anyway but would just save prospective members from having to look it up.

Wild one
01-23-2019, 10:05 AM
The only hunting Y2Y supports is by Indigenous people.

Where politically expedient to obtain Parks status for lands, they may consent to allow reduced licenced hunting, for now.

You will NEVER find the Y2Y organization lobby for increasing hunting.

I would keep an eye on how BC BHA aligns themselves with the lobbying for new Parks.
So far in Alberta, BHA has sided with Y2Y in creating more land that is off limits to hunting.

This is something to take note of ^^^

For those considering giving support to the BHA do some research on what they have been involved in outside of BC.

Those who have been on this forum for any length of time knows what I think of the BCWF and I would become a life time BCWF members before I joined the BHA for one year

At this time the only BC organization I see positive from is the WSS

markathome
01-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Whew - just checked in on this one... be careful what I ask for LOL.

Thanks to everyone who's posted. I'll do my best to reply to everyone's questions tonight. In the meantime, if there are any other burning question - let's get them up! Enjoy the sunshine, I know I will.

Also - so everyone knows, I'm not the end all be all of the BC BHA wisdom. I'm a relatively new Region 2 volunteer who leans in to help a conservation organization that aligns with my hunting ethos. I live in Squamish and hunt all over BC - I don't have intimate knowledge of each and every issue across our great province, so I'll be the first to let you know what I don't know.

J_T
01-23-2019, 11:00 AM
^^ I flipped an email to the BC Provincial Co-chairs, and North American (Canadian) Board member. They'll be on to provide some background, direction and possibly answer questions.

two-feet
01-23-2019, 01:42 PM
Looking forward to getting a better idea of what BHA stands for. So many people want an organization that truly represents the resident hunter.

01-23-2019, 01:45 PM
Looking forward to getting a better idea of what BHA stands for. So many people want an organization that truly represents the resident hunter.

Another option is the WSSBC. The Hunter Heritage program is about educating non-hunters and promoting hunting. Its official public launch will be this spring.

Fella
01-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Another option is the WSSBC. The Hunter Heritage program is about educating non-hunters and promoting hunting. Its official public launch will be this spring.
But isn’t the wss mostly concerned with sheep?

Red_Mist
01-23-2019, 02:13 PM

WSSBC has stood out to me and hence my membership. I’m not a sheep hunter. I see them putting hunters and conservation first , without the need of seperating the two. They are doing good work.

01-23-2019, 02:19 PM
But isn’t the wss mostly concerned with sheep?

The WSSBC is definitely focused on sheep, but the Hunter Heritage campaign is not focused on sheep or any other species, but rather educating the non-hunting public

Wild one
01-23-2019, 02:24 PM
The WSSBC is definitely focused on sheep, but the Hunter Heritage campaign is not focused on sheep or any other species, but rather educating the non-hunting public

Too bad the WSSBC focuses primarily on sheep because they hold great potential but the heritage campaign is a big plus from the WSSBC

Bugle M In
01-23-2019, 02:38 PM
that's the issue we face here in BC.
WSS is there for the sheep.
BCWF, really is for wildlife.
Both comprise of memberships of mostly all being hunters.
But, they are set in the mandate they were created for.
Having a BC Hunter Association is what is missing.

That being said though, it seems that there are just too many "difference of opinions" out there to actually
make an organization like that actually work.
Atleast from years of looking at all the threads just on here, we have are hard time staying "united"" anyways.
Anti's seem to have "one goal", thus their focus is all the same.

Even from one gun club to the next, there is broad differences to what direction things should go, like
what the hunting regs should be etc etc.

Wish I had an answer for this, but the only thing is to atleast "try" to have such an organization.
Before it is "too late".

Chrispryn
01-23-2019, 03:01 PM
I think some people are getting hung up on "what can (organization name) do for me?"

We should probably focus on " what can I do for (organization name) to help benefit (thing I'm passionate about)?

Anti hunting organizations aren't successful because they benefit the members, they are successful because they benefit the cause they are fighting for.

We can argue for hunting rights and gun laws all we like, but if there is NO animals or NO places to hunt what are you gonna do with all your guns and hunting rights.

Chris

Wild one
01-23-2019, 03:21 PM
I think some people are getting hung up on "what can (organization name) do for me?"

We should probably focus on " what can I do for (organization name) to help benefit (thing I'm passionate about)?

Anti hunting organizations aren't successful because they benefit the members, they are successful because they benefit the cause they are fighting for.

We can argue for hunting rights and gun laws all we like, but if there is NO animals or NO places to hunt what are you gonna do with all your guns and hunting rights.

Chris

So the BCWF and the BHA are on the same general path from what you are saying so in the end hunters don’t need two organization to accomplish this.

Basically why hunters are asking where the BHA stands on issues is because that is what they see a need for. This is what they see is missing for hunting in BC

Told the BCWF Guys the same thing you want the support stop telling hunters what they need and listen to what hunters are asking for

Jordan f.
01-23-2019, 04:07 PM
So the BCWF and the BHA are on the same general path from what you are saying so in the end hunters don’t need two organization to accomplish this.

Basically why hunters are asking where the BHA stands on issues is because that is what they see a need for. This is what they see is missing for hunting in BC

Told the BCWF Guys the same thing you want the support stop telling hunters what they need and listen to what hunters are asking for

Why don't you start a BC Hunters Association? It's really not that hard to start a non-profit.

If BHA or BCWF aren't what you want. Form the group you do want.

WSSBC is doing something great. But it can't be a long term solution. BC needs a Hunters Association.

So if you (not directed at WO, but anyone reading this), aren't actively involved with a current group....that leaves you to form the new one!

Jordan f.
01-23-2019, 04:10 PM
I don't mean that as an attack either. All the guys that are INCREDIBLY knowledgeable in BC Hunting who don't like what they are seeing happen... start a thread.. gather volunteers and get something going. I genuinely believe on this site alone, are the right people to do the job. At some point one of you just gotta get the ball rolling..

Wild one
01-23-2019, 04:18 PM
Why don't you start a BC Hunters Association? It's really not that hard to start a non-profit.

If BHA or BCWF aren't what you want. Form the group you do want.

WSSBC is doing something great. But it can't be a long term solution. BC needs a Hunters Association.

So if you (not directed at WO, but anyone reading this), aren't actively involved with a current group....that leaves you to form the new one!

I was actually approached by a number of people over this in the last year and sadly there was a common theme with most. They had a personal vendetta with someone or wanted revenge with another user group and with those reasons I would not get involved

In the last few months I decided I will be moving out of BC before next fall so not going to start something I won’t be there to finish

eatram
01-23-2019, 04:26 PM
WSSBC is laser focused on what they do. The dollars they spend are dollars DIRECTLY affecting their goals. Their goals are my goals. That is why I am a member with them. Sometimes, being too much to too many is counter-productive. I would suggest joining their membership if their goals line up with yours. While the group that you are looking to join may not exist yet, having a great group like the WSS succeed and then be emulated is a win-win. Maybe Wild Mulies of BC or Wild Elk of BC, etc can be started. This way, groups can stay focused on their business, with colaboration on larger projects. That would be great! Creating this is definitely out of my wheel-house though. Hopefully this is not too off topic...

huntingfamily
01-23-2019, 04:55 PM
What about Safari Club International West Coast Chapter?
https://www.onlinehuntingauctions.com/Safari-Club-International-West-Coast-Chapter_ae2348

Wild one
01-23-2019, 05:07 PM
What about Safari Club International West Coast Chapter?
https://www.onlinehuntingauctions.com/Safari-Club-International-West-Coast-Chapter_ae2348

Honest opinion I see some good but improvements in general organization is needed. I know some are great people and with some drive there is possibility

If hunters put effort into helping this grow it could go somewhere but they could use some strong active members

(might be getting a phone call over this one but being honest lol)

Greenthumbed
01-23-2019, 06:20 PM

Chris
I totally agree with you, Chris!

Wild one
01-23-2019, 06:45 PM
I totally agree with you, Chris!

Of course you agree that is why you are a BHA member lol

Pemby_mess
01-23-2019, 06:53 PM
That being said though, it seems that there are just too many "difference of opinions" out there to actually
make an organization like that actually work.
Atleast from years of looking at all the threads just on here, we have are hard time staying "united"" anyways.
Anti's seem to have "one goal", thus their focus is all the same.

"Antis" don't have "one goal". What they do seem to be able to do well, is decide what their common goals tend to be, and work together toward those, despite differing opinions, and strategies within the common direction.

Hunters as a group appear to have problems accepting that someone who has even a slightly differing perspective, might be a useful ally. There is an erroneous assumption that if there is any disagreement anywhere, there must necessarily be disagreement everywhere.

This is most evident in all the shit talking about the BCWF. It is an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters. If it is not meeting the perceived needs of some hunters, I see little reason the people that feel that way can't get involved and strategize ways to serve that perceived need. If they're correct, they'll be affirmed by quantative results, showing increased membership and higher levels of grassroots funding.

Greenthumbed
01-23-2019, 07:23 PM
Of course you agree that is why you are a BHA member lol
Ha! You know what they say about great minds!

Wild one
01-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Ha! You know what they say about great minds!

Even I agree with part of what was stated :wink:

Mulehahn
01-23-2019, 07:49 PM

Chris

I admire your attitude but disagree with it, and pemby's as well. The reason anti hunting organizations are successful is because the do have one goal and are united under a common umbrella, end hunting! PERIOD! Sure some may argue more on behalf of wolves while another may argue more on behalf of bears but no group will say go kill bears but leave the wolves alone or vice versa. The same cannot be said for many hunting groups.

To keep this some what on topic lets look at the BHA is a prime example. I do not know the goals of the BC Chapter (I work next Thursday but hope change that and get to meeting) but a quick google search will easily show that many chapters in the USA have lobbied heavily to ban ATVs; arguing for foot access only. That right there alienates a huge portion of hunters. I don't own a quad but would not join a group that argues for them to be banned. Just like I refused to join the ABA when I was in Alberta for their stance on crossbows.

I will gladly join and work hard for any group that tries to support and raise the awareness of hunting; but the second they do it at the expense of other hunters I will work equally hard against them! Only time will tell where the BC BHA falls, but if they follow the lead of some of their American counterparts then they are as good as antis in my opinion.

*as an aside: Pemby, I think you misunderstand the frustration that has developed towards the BCWF. You wrote "It is an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters.", let me fix it for you "It WAS an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters, Now it is an organization for the interests of "Conservation" by people who have no choice but to belong if they want to join a rifle range." The BCWF has, by their own admission, stated that they do not argue on behalf of hunters. Their only concern is Conservation. While this is admirable it leaves many wondering then what separates them from Rainforest or Sierra Club.

Wild one
01-23-2019, 08:06 PM
I admire your attitude but disagree with it, and pemby's as well. The reason anti hunting organizations are successful is because the do have one goal and are united under a common umbrella, end hunting! PERIOD! Sure some may argue more on behalf of wolves while another may argue more on behalf of bears but no group will say go kill bears but leave the wolves alone or vice versa. The same cannot be said for many hunting groups.

To keep this some what on topic lets look at the BHA is a prime example. I do not know the goals of the BC Chapter (I work next Thursday but hope change that and get to meeting) but a quick google search will easily show that many chapters in the USA have lobbied heavily to ban ATVs; arguing for foot access only. That right there alienates a huge portion of hunters. I don't own a quad but would not join a group that argues for them to be banned. Just like I refused to join the ABA when I was in Alberta for their stance on crossbows.

I will gladly join and work hard for any group that tries to support and raise the awareness of hunting; but the second they do it at the expense of other hunters I will work equally hard against them! Only time will tell where the BC BHA falls, but if they follow the lead of some of their American counterparts then they are as good as antis in my opinion.

*as an aside: Pemby, I think you misunderstand the frustration that has developed towards the BCWF. You wrote "It is an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters.", let me fix it for you "It WAS an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters, Now it is an organization for the interests of "Conservation" by people who have no choice but to belong if they want to join a rifle range." The BCWF has, by their own admission, stated that they do not argue on behalf of hunters. Their only concern is Conservation. While this is admirable it leaves many wondering then what separates them from Rainforest or Sierra Club.

This sounds about right

WH&H
01-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Update on BCBHA

MISSION:Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.

The British Columbia Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (BCBHA) is the first international chapter of BHA and was established in the spring of 2014. BCBHA has full autonomy over our issues and finances and every dollar raised in BC stays in BC to be spent on BC issues. Like most US based conservation organizations like Ducks Unlimited, Trout, Pheasants, Turkey, SCI, WSF, etc. that have affiliations, chapters and associations in Canada, the vision is continental but the focus is local. All supporting the North American Conservation Model which has no boundary. Members in BC embraced the values and message of BHA and felt it would be a good fit to compliment the hard work of the existing legacy organizations in BC. BCBHA looks to collaborate with groups on common initiatives, even though we might not agree 100% on everything they do, and vis-a-versa, we can work together on our common interests, like wildlife and habitat. The same applies for working with the BCWF, WSSBC, or Y2Y. We have made it clear to Y2Y that BCBHA will not support any initiative which alienates land from hunting and have yet to work with Y2Y on any issues in BC to date. A prime example of BCBHA’s leadership and collaboration was the successful Wildlife Management Roundtable held in Cranbrook in March of 2017.
The Alberta Chapter which launched in the spring of 2017 continues to do good work supporting hunters and anglers and is keeping hunting in the forefront of the debate on the Bighorn Wildland land-use process currently underway in Alberta.

BHA is the fastest growing conservation organization in North America with chapters in 29 States and 2 provinces with 11 more chapters in the works including Yukon. BHA's membership just surpassed 30,000 members. This is incredible growth for an organization which has been able to double its membership every year for the past 4 years. The values of BHA definitely resonates with hunters and anglers across North America as the quality of wildlife and habitat and associated experiences continues to degrade. The growth of the BC chapter has mirrored the growth of the organization. Any organization that stands up for wild public lands has a target on it's back and attracts attention. Highly organized smear campaigns and rhetoric have done nothing to detract from BHA's values nor have they affected BHA's growth. They are obviously not having an effect on BHA's progress.

BCBHA began its operation in the East Kootenay and now has committees in the West Kootenay, a very active and growing committee in the Lower Mainland, a committee in central BC and is gaining traction in the North East. We are looking for regional representation in every region of the province to represent local issues. We held a series of pint nights in 2018 to grow our influence and are looking for interested members to step up and get involved in their area. Stay tuned to our channels for upcoming events and activities as we grow.

BCBHA supports sound, science based wildlife and habitat management and opposed in writing the ban on the grizzly hunt. We support responsible OHV use where it is appropriate. We are engaged in the provincial Improving Wildlife Management and Habitat Conservation initiative and our position submitted during the public engagement portion of this process is on the public record through the Engage BC website. BCBHA is represented on the stakeholder committee and will be attending the upcoming January workshops in Vancouver.

We are not going to engage in any of the typical rumours around BCBHA or BHA in general, because if you want to get involved and learn more about the good work we are doing, please reach out. If you enjoy hunting and angling in a natural setting, on public land, then BHA is the organization for you. Please pm me if you would like more information on how to get involved or follow us on social media to stay in touch.

Thank you to everyone who keeps up the good fight for our wild backcountry in BC, despite our differences.
[SIZE=3]

To connect with BC BHA on social media: [/B]

[*=left]Facebook group: British Columbia Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (https://www.backcountryhunters.org/r?u=27Ax0UmWOX2J8J_QwK9Z6sAbiimTwRd6ssr23ZzK-qK6NEb2E5Xm6ajW0WvQa4G1DNi5qWBwgbSK9mIr20Zjdy8eCmk enhjyHkjK7ycjIys&e=4b1ea73d5b8a29bfd0efd26c47e3e03d&utm_source=backcountryhunters&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=reg2_jan31_nolan_howtopack&n=6).
[*=left]Instagram: @bcbackcountryhuntersandanglers (https://www.backcountryhunters.org/r?u=6hyvAYXBs1PELL28GD73y5hPxxCVMZ_bPV_u85pqRzHA7X il9GYG2u-HHHROE9osar5vBoXNUXEwh3FjyQv3bQ&e=4b1ea73d5b8a29bfd0efd26c47e3e03d&utm_source=backcountryhunters&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=reg2_jan31_nolan_howtopack&n=7).
[*=left]Twitter: @BCBackcountryHA (https://www.backcountryhunters.org/r?u=YqgukYA3Mrlri-dqG7I8Tr4bKf2yKCz5hSGrwzUE-Osdi6caGtw6WDOZDB13hHVS&e=4b1ea73d5b8a29bfd0efd26c47e3e03d&utm_source=backcountryhunters&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=reg2_jan31_nolan_howtopack&n=8).

Careful. Advertising with links to buy products and membership you need to be a site sponsor. I will let the rest of the post stay.
Elkhound

markathome
01-23-2019, 09:18 PM
Pretty much sums it up right there... Thanks WH&H.

M

Gateholio
01-23-2019, 09:39 PM
Who is behind the highly organized smear campaign, and why are they doing it?

BriarPatch
01-23-2019, 09:39 PM
Mulehahn

I agree with your comments and do not believe the BCWF is for hunters anymore, from what I recall nothing was said about the grizzly hunt but in their own mission statement they say they support science based decisions so why so quiet. The only reason they have so many members is as previously stated forced by clubs for insurance.

I am sure that many on here would support a genuine hunter conservation group who also advocate for hunting & firearm rights but many like me are wary of organisations that don't seem to have clear policies on these items and therefore could in a heartbeat shift sides so to speak and fail to support them with some lame excuse like its not in our mandate.

In a previous post I asked some questions to BHA members on here regarding firearms issues, the grizzly hunt and most importantly the PEW foundation, which have not been answered!

These are legitimate questions and ultimately would help myself and I am sure other members decide if this is something that we wish to support.

I personally would not support any organisation that was affiliated with the PEW foundation or any of its subsidiaries in any way.

There are many people on here from many differing backgrounds and opposing sides of the political spectrum but for the most part we all share a love of hunting, fishing and the outdoors in general. I have said this before the issues that we are facing are not resident hunter, guide or first nations problems, they are all of our problems and we need to get together to form a powerful organisation to fight back and stop the greens/snowflakes destroying what we all cherish.

Red_Mist
01-23-2019, 09:48 PM
Who is behind the highly organized smear campaign, and why are they doing it?

x2. Why am i not hearing bad press for other groups ? seems only the bha taking heat.

BriarPatch
01-23-2019, 09:49 PM
Please enlighten us regarding the smear campaigns and lies so that we can undertake due diligence prior to committing to the organisation.

Mulehahn
01-24-2019, 12:57 AM
Thanks WH&H, I honestly appreciate the input. I am glad to read that the BC Chapter appears to have a high level of autonomy. Upon re-reading my earlier post it came across much more confrontational than I had intended. The mission statement is clearly something I believe that every hunter and fisher would support, and I hope to be able to make it out to one of these pub nights myself to form a better understanding and learn more, and hopefully join and support what could be a group that makes a huge difference in this province.

That being said, I am concerned by both your's and Gate's comments about organized smear campaigns. Perhaps I don't frequent the right forums or read the right articles but I don't see any coordinated attacks, just public statments made by the BHA themselves either in social media or towards State agencies. Everything I posted about the BHA is available to anyone with access to Google; something I would expect everyone to do before joining any organization. I am buoyed by the fact that the BCBHA is apparently allowed to operate independent of other Chapters and I hope you hold true to the commitments you listed (ie: OHV access where appropriate, commitment to hunting in dealing with Y2Y, etc)! Best of luck in the workshops!

BriarPatch
01-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Personally I stand by my comments and don't care if they seem confrontational I simply asked questions that have not been answered.

Questions about firearms, sources of funding and the PEW foundation are legitimate and for some reason have been ignored.

Bugle M In
01-24-2019, 10:44 AM

I'm with you.
I hate to see certain groups "alienated" as well, and would never support that either.
It has to be an organization that stands for "all hunters".
Some modifications to where atv hunters can go, or when bow is allowed before rifle, I am good with.
After that, were "together" united.
Not, this is the only way a hunter can be attitude.

And yes, in regards to Pemby, the anti's have one goal when it comes to hunting and hunters,
and that is "ban hunting".
It is "one initiative" that antis "all stand behind"!!
Thus they are effective being united and getting things banned, ie, GBear.

Walking Buffalo
01-24-2019, 11:22 AM
Update on BCBHA

MISSION:Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.

We have made it clear to Y2Y that BCBHA will not support any initiative which alienates land from hunting and have yet to work with Y2Y on any issues in BC to date. A prime example of BCBHA’s leadership and collaboration was the successful Wildlife Management Roundtable held in Cranbrook in March of 2017.

The Alberta Chapter which launched in the spring of 2017 continues to do good work supporting hunters and anglers and is keeping hunting in the forefront of the debate on the Bighorn Wildland land-use process currently underway in Alberta.

This highlights concerns of many hunters regarding BHA in Canada.

In Alberta, as I've previously mentioned, BHA has aligned their support with Y2Y in lobbying FOR alienating land from ALL hunting, including within the proposed Bighorn parks.

You say they have done good in this regard, despite stating that you oppose such efforts.

Can you not see the contradiction?

I'll bet on BHA BC finding themselves stuck between alienating Hunters or Y2Y within a couple of years. You can't have it both ways.

I recognize BHA as being young with the need to wander and learn.
But I will still tell a kid to not pet the dirty cat in hopes they can avoid learning the hard way.

ElectricDyck
01-24-2019, 11:44 AM
I've heard comments from friends about environmental organizations infiltrating "conservation" groups by donating large sums of money. With donations comes influence. Environmentalism is big business and doesn't include hunting. So when I see that a group that BHA accepted money from a group that also donated to the Tides Foundation I get suspicious.

I went down the Tides rabbit hole one day and it's not good, lots of anti money which has been used to stop hunting and influence elections..

Bugle M In
01-24-2019, 12:05 PM
Just wanted to say, from my stance:
The WSS is a great society.
I remember when the RH/GOABC fiasco was happening.
I was one of the people asking "where the hell is BCWF" etc.
I recall the WSS coming forth quickly, stating that their directive is about sheep, but they do align themselves with hunters, but they were unable to help/do much in that arena, but did do their best to
show/communicate their displeasure with that whole situation.
The BCWF was somewhat slower to respond publicly, imo.
But in the end, they too had to admit the "shortcomings" of the Federation as they are a conservation group, not a hunters association, by definition and mandate.
(yes, I did get some pm's from the higher ups of the bcwf at that time, and I appreciate them taking the time to, can we say "cool me down" a bit, lol)

Now seeing how the pipeline and the Anti's are influenced and financed by outside groups (even some who also are in the oil industry elsewhere and don't want competition), I am very skeptical of any "new group" starting up.
We have some BCWF members her on this site.
We can all see they are "pro hunting" big time.
We can all take comfort in knowing that many of them share the same concerns as the rest of us.

But, we need something to "back us up (hunters)" going forward.
Still think the best way is to have BCWF change their branding, and their mandate, and how they can operate differently as compared to how it is now.
(don't ask me how that is actually achieved, but there has to be a way)
If not, there will be something one day that will be an Association for hunters, and that will take away from
BCWF membership....big time!! (especially if that new group can offer the "insurance factor" so many enjoy thru BCWF)
And if no association is created, and there is no "real hunter support" network out there, we will find ourselves hunting less and less areas, if not banned outright one day.

If that happens, there will be no BCWF!, and I doubt a WSS either!
Nor a GOABC!
Maybe it's time to "knock heads together" here and everyone get there act together, pronto!!

Jordan f.
01-24-2019, 01:08 PM
This highlights concerns of many hunters regarding BHA in Canada.

In Alberta, as I've previously mentioned, BHA has aligned their support with Y2Y in lobbying FOR alienating land from ALL hunting, including within the proposed Bighorn parks.

You say they have done good in this regard, despite stating that you oppose such efforts.

Can you not see the contradiction?

I'll bet on BHA BC finding themselves stuck between alienating Hunters or Y2Y within a couple of years. You can't have it both ways.

I recognize BHA as being young with the need to wander and learn.
But I will still tell a kid to not pet the dirty cat in hopes they can avoid learning the hard way.

I'd recommend contacting the Alberta board with any questions, concerns, or comments.

Not much will come from posting anonymously on a message board.

alberta@backcountryhunters.org

Wooderson604
01-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Due to being relatively new to BC and the still small-ish size, compared to an organization like BCWF, the Region 2 Chapter can hear an individuals issue or thoughts and then can be discussed in detail. Through these discussions and as a group we can and have made decisions on which we can positively affect for hunters and wildlife in BC. In my experience with the BHA there has been very little to no influence from the Alberta chapter or the US chapters. I’m not saying that BHA as an organization doesn’t support initiatives or other organizations, but as a chapter we have made decisions on the direction we want to go in. All the individuals on here that have apprehensions, I invite you to come to a meeting, ask questions and decide for yourself.

butcher
01-24-2019, 07:03 PM
Sorry I if I missed it but besides region 2&4 where are there currently chapters?

Caribou_lou
01-24-2019, 07:14 PM
Id like to see the group venture up into region 6. Anything could be better than what we have now...

two-feet
01-24-2019, 10:27 PM
Id like to see the group venture up into region 6. Anything could be better than what we have now...

On their website it says one of the board members is from the Bulkley Valley?

Caribou_lou
01-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Is there info on who it is? Id like to ask him a few questions

Confused1
01-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Is there info on who it is? Id like to ask him a few questions

Warren Pali

BriarPatch
01-25-2019, 05:12 PM
There seem to be plenty on here who are connected with the BHA organisation but none want to answer my legitimate questions regarding firearms & most importantly any affiliation with the PEW Foundation.

If there is no affiliation between the Pew Foundation & BHA then simply say so what is so difficult about this question and why does no one want to answer?

For anyone else out there look at the PEW Foundation and their goals one of which would be a complete closure of ALL hunting & fishing in North America, I wonder if any of their influence went into the Grizzly closure?

Look at the damage they have already done in the US regarding closures.

BriarPatch
01-25-2019, 05:16 PM
Please note I am not against the BHA and would really like to join, work with & support a group that has the interests of hunters and fishermen at their core but if any group is connected with the PEW foundation in any way then this group is most definitely not for hunters or fishermen.

steve-r
01-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Was wondering who the PEW Foundation is -
- found this description at https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/pew-charitable-trusts/

"Pew, working with the Moore (https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/gordon-e-and-betty-i-moore-foundation/), Hewlett (https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/william-and-flora-hewlett-foundation/), and Packard (https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/david-and-lucile-packard-foundation/)foundations, has also been heavily involved in slowing down oil production in Canada. Brian Seasholes, drawing on the work of Canadian blogger and National Post columnist Vivian Krause, calculates that Pew spend $57.2 million between 1997 and 2011 on anti-oil sands activities, of which the bulk ($48.7 million) went to Ducks Unlimited (https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/ducks-unlimited/), which then passed some of its grants back to Pew. Seasholes showed that most of the groups opposed to development of Canada’s boreal forest (where the oil sands are located) were either divisions of Pew or largely controlled by Pew."

Noteworthy that the PEW family fortune was made from their company Sun Oil.

J_T
01-26-2019, 07:21 AM
I'm with you.
I hate to see certain groups "alienated" as well, and would never support that either.
It has to be an organization that stands for "all hunters".
Some modifications to where atv hunters can go, or when bow is allowed before rifle, I am good with.
After that, were "together" united.
Not, this is the only way a hunter can be attitude.

And yes, in regards to Pemby, the anti's have one goal when it comes to hunting and hunters,
and that is "ban hunting".
It is "one initiative" that antis "all stand behind"!!
Thus they are effective being united and getting things banned, ie, GBear.

I apologize for the hijack and it is not my intention to single you out. I do want to use this as an example of what a lot of people think. Many believe (for their own reasons which I will respect) that hunter's ultimately require, one voice. And most often, with one objective.

In the same breath, we talk about how and why the non and anti hunting movements have been successful.
What we have learned from the non hunting community is that they seem to be plentiful, there are so many organizations for this or for that. The perpsective is, they are behind every tree, every animal, every stream, in attempts to protect it. But a non.org who supports saving fish, can find common ground with an savetrees.org too. And then when it comes to Government engagement, and being heard through the media there is a perception of so many unique organizations that are 'standing' together for something fabricated or something real, it gets attention.

Hunters must learn from this strategy. Not all hunters are conservationists, not all conservationists are hunters, but there is common ground in the love of 'something'. Make a choice. Wildlife. Hunters all have a unique perspective, what they hunt, where they hunt, how they hunt, where they live, how they see themselves relative to nature. This separates one group from the next.

What hunters must do, is work together. That doesn't mean they must agree. And when Government engages the electorate for input on 'something' more groups, will generate more airtime and not be perceived as 'one vote'.

I'm a member of multiple organizations. Why? I want to understand the unique perspective of, the BCWF, the BCAA, BCTA, TBBC, UBBC, BC BHA. and I look for common ground. Is there an opportunity to listen to one group and work with that idea, with another. When it comes time to stand together, these groups already know 'each other' or rather, I am familiar with people in each of these groups. I can understand a defensive structure or an offensive strategy, as we work to 'make more wildlife', or consider regulatory change, or stand our ground in a manner that environmental groups may not see as offensive.

So I'm a strong proponent for multiple hunting organizations, each with a statement, a message, a vision, a spokesperson and most importantly, a seat at the table. More hunters around any table is not a bad thing. And I sit on Provincial committees, and I'm finding friendships in these groupings of diverse people. And I'm learning from each of them and they are learning from me, and together, we find that place, were good decisions can be made.

Jordan f.
01-26-2019, 09:25 AM
If there's 15 groups sitting around the table with the BC gov... I'd rather have 10 that support the RH in one way or another (even if they don't all agree on every single issue), then 1 group trying to fight off 14 anti's...

Wild one
01-26-2019, 09:44 AM
If there's 15 groups sitting around the table with the BC gov... I'd rather have 10 that support the RH in one way or another (even if they don't all agree on every single issue), then 1 group trying to fight off 14 anti's...

Bringing a group to the table that is potentially backed by anti’s and helps divide the different hunter groups this does not strengthen hunters at all.

Been talking to hunters in Alberta about BHA and they basically say you guys are a bunch of traitors and odds are the reason you’re on the BC forum is a lot of Alberta hunters are not very welcoming to the BHA

Basically the more I dig the more reasons I see for hunters to avoid trusting the BHA and should tell them to pound sand

Jordan f.
01-26-2019, 10:10 AM
Some like us, some don't. That's life. I believe in what we are doing. But I won't high jack/ bring drama to the BC thread anymore. Feel free to email us for any questions you want an official response too.

P.S I'm on here because I grew up in BC. I also stopped posting on AO long before BHA. Have you seen how much fighting goes on there?

Wild one
01-26-2019, 10:21 AM
Never really looked at that forum but they all have fighting

Jordan f.
01-26-2019, 10:32 AM
Never really looked at that forum but they all have fighting

It makes HBC look like a "safe space" hahaha

Wild one
01-26-2019, 10:49 AM
It makes HBC look like a "safe space" hahaha

Every forums the same make yourself a target you deal with fighting

It’s a matter of conflicting views

TexasWalker
01-26-2019, 12:41 PM
A BCBHA spokesperson was posting about a movie night on the hunting bc Facebook page.
A few guys started questioning him about what the BCBHA has actually done for B.C. wildlife and he got all offended and deleted his post.

Bugle M In
01-26-2019, 01:08 PM
I apologize for the hijack and it is not my intention to single you out. I do want to use this as an example of what a lot of people think. Many believe (for their own reasons which I will respect) that hunter's ultimately require, one voice. And most often, with one objective.

In the same breath, we talk about how and why the non and anti hunting movements have been successful.
What we have learned from the non hunting community is that they seem to be plentiful, there are so many organizations for this or for that. The perpsective is, they are behind every tree, every animal, every stream, in attempts to protect it. But a non.org who supports saving fish, can find common ground with an savetrees.org too. And then when it comes to Government engagement, and being heard through the media there is a perception of so many unique organizations that are 'standing' together for something fabricated or something real, it gets attention.

Hunters must learn from this strategy. Not all hunters are conservationists, not all conservationists are hunters, but there is common ground in the love of 'something'. Make a choice. Wildlife. Hunters all have a unique perspective, what they hunt, where they hunt, how they hunt, where they live, how they see themselves relative to nature. This separates one group from the next.

What hunters must do, is work together. That doesn't mean they must agree. And when Government engages the electorate for input on 'something' more groups, will generate more airtime and not be perceived as 'one vote'.

I'm a member of multiple organizations. Why? I want to understand the unique perspective of, the BCWF, the BCAA, BCTA, TBBC, UBBC, BC BHA. and I look for common ground. Is there an opportunity to listen to one group and work with that idea, with another. When it comes time to stand together, these groups already know 'each other' or rather, I am familiar with people in each of these groups. I can understand a defensive structure or an offensive strategy, as we work to 'make more wildlife', or consider regulatory change, or stand our ground in a manner that environmental groups may not see as offensive.

So I'm a strong proponent for multiple hunting organizations, each with a statement, a message, a vision, a spokesperson and most importantly, a seat at the table. More hunters around any table is not a bad thing. And I sit on Provincial committees, and I'm finding friendships in these groupings of diverse people. And I'm learning from each of them and they are learning from me, and together, we find that place, were good decisions can be made.

JT,
Firstly, I don't worry about being singled out (after all, its a forum, and I have made statement of my own opinion, and anyone can debate that, so feel free)
I know who you are, and the organizations you are a part of etc.
I know your at the table with a lot of groups.
I agree, it is always a good idea to hear everyone.
That's why I have no issue with folks like Pemby. posting conficting views or just playing devils advocate.
It's important to be informed.
But, here's the truth in my opinion.
If I want to get stuff done in my life, I find I am better off if I "do it myself", as I am always disappointed by the results when I hire someone else to "do the work".
I know your at a lot of tables listening in.
But, to frank, that's all that happening.
Just a lot of talk.
I sure am not seeing any results, and some of the direction I m seeing (like reestablishing EK elk #'s, but at a much lower # going forward etc), is down right disappointing.

I have dealt in Strata issues for years.
We used to have a council of 7 or more members.
Lots of talk, nothing got done, an more problems kept arising/falling apart.
Now, I have the minimum needed on Council, and S*** is "getting fixed"!!

I am a hunter first and foremost.
I believe you need to know everything about everyone who has a difference of opinion and direction.
But I believe to get it done, you have to "do it yourself".
Hunters are here to hunt, (for all the reasons you already know for), but they also want to ensure
these species around forever, to hunt, to photograph, to enjoy for everyone.
In the end, hunters want to make better.
Others want to make some things better, but at the expense of others, like hunters.
I appreciate all your knowledge and time you spend, and your a gem on the site with what you relate to others about what's happened here and there.
But, I ask:
"what is really getting fixed these days"????in the "big picture"?

J_T
01-26-2019, 02:55 PM
JT,

But, I ask:
"what is really getting fixed these days"????in the "big picture"?
Absolutely, that is the big question. Isn't it? How do we transform discussion and talk into action on the ground, and results. Believe me, there is a lot of frustration on that specific front.
We need to work towards activities on the ground that benefit wildlife. But, actions on the ground, require a plan, support, coordination, objectives and money.

My perspectives on the view: (apologies for the length, got away from me)
- Provincial activity,
- Regional activity
- Local activity
- My activity.

I don't think we belong to organizations wondering what that club is doing for me. We should be thinking, what can I do to help.

Again, I'm probably not the best person to respond to this, so what you get, is my optimistic view.

Provincially, the model for wildlife management is under a complete overall. The people of British Columbia made this an election issue. MLA's have made this an issue.
1) In the fall (2018), wildlife biologists, academia, economists and industry got together for a workshop (by invitation only, but quite inclusive). Biologists were 'stating' that how we manage wildlife is going to change. And it will have an impact on Industry (primarily logging and mining practices), tourism, adventure tourism, so get ready.
2) in October Provincial staff laid out the objective in terms of funding. What their goals are. (1, 3 and 5yr ramp up to an annual allocation)
3) In December a Webinar was hosted over a 2 hour period to lay out a framework and objective for discussions. The culmination of the engagement process will be a provincial wildlife management plan by early 2020.
4) next week in Richmond almost all stakeholders (Industry, NGO's, Resident hunters, guides, trappers, tourism operators) have been asked to supply 1 representative to attend a workshop to discuss a number of topics targeting the great objective. What can we do. How do we transfer talk, to action on the ground. You can probably divide the attendees into a three or four very general groupings. Government of course, industry, hunters/trappers, tourism. If the focus is wildlife, then egos aside, my personal wants on the back burner. Let's work together.
5) prior to the Richmond workshop, the BCWF has organized a 1 day workshop to allow resident hunters, trappers, guides to discuss their opinions and ideas. This is very important, because once individual reps are in the workshop, they are divided into groups for discussions.

Each participant in the meetings this coming week has been asked to come with one creative and bright idea or demand about what they want.

Regionally,
1) hunting groups and organizations want integrated wildlife management plans. We want statements of commitment. We are working together to give the same message to Government and politicians.
2) Regional wildlife management plans have started in a number of regions on priority species
3) we want science (data, knowledge) to support decisions.
4) we need to address decision making. Federal legislation on species at risk and provincial legislation/regulation are not always a perfect fit. How can we be sure, that regional staff have the authority on decisions.
5) can we work with Government and convince local government that hunters matter, that hunters provide necessary knowledge of what is happening on the landscape. Building trusting relationships.
6) hunting groups are working together to carry out thinning projects getting involved with the Invasive species groups and directing/targeting/working together to do what they can. It's endless what can be done to help.

Individually
It may seem simple, but I offer it as an example, when I'm out, I identify not only wildlife, but road hazards, invasive plants, and every time I come out of the bush, I spend a few hours pulling and bagging invasive plants. A minimum of 500 metres each time is my objective. I measure those results. Get involved with any manner of habitat work. As smaller organizations, chip in $1000 to the Region 8 mule deer study. Better yet, go help. Help WSS with their winter habitat thinning programs. Carry over counts.

Hunters are very clear, we don't want sustainable populations we want more animals.
We want huntable populations. Let's call all hunting, management hunting. We hunt, to do our part to support wildlife management.
Hunters are very clear, they want measurable objectives, they expect adequate funding, and they expect Government to be accountable for results.

This thread started off on a discussion of BC BHA, I can assure you, the active participants in this group, are hunters/fishers, conservationists, they care about the hunt, they are active and have an objective of huntable wildlife populations.

If people are asking about them, then they must be creating waves, and if their catching air time, isn't that a good thing? Raising awareness.

BriarPatch
01-26-2019, 02:56 PM
JT

I agree with most of what you say my problem was that if the BHA are in bed with Anti organisations sooner or later there will be a conflict of interest and then which side do they choose and all the effort put in by hunters & fishermen will be of no benefit to them.

Maybe we should start our own organisation with a mandate created by Hunters & fishermen for hunters and fishermen and this organisation should include members from all interested groups including guides & First Nations.

WE ALL NEED TO STAND TOGETHER BEFORE THERE IS NOTHING LEFT TO STAND FOR

J_T
01-26-2019, 03:01 PM
JT

I agree with most of what you say my problem was that if the BHA are in bed with Anti organisations sooner or later there will be a conflict of interest and then which side do they choose and all the effort put in by hunters & fishermen will be of no benefit to them.

Maybe we should start our own organisation with a mandate created by Hunters & fishermen for hunters and fishermen and this organisation should include members from all interested groups including guides & First Nations.

WE ALL NEED TO STAND TOGETHER BEFORE THERE IS NOTHING LEFT TO STAND FOR

Well, read my first few comments about the Provincial activities. Right now, we're ALL in bed together. Everyone. With one objective, more animals on the land.

Of course, as we gain more riches, more people will split off and advocate for their position. Ranchers will be first, they don't want animals eating their cattle's food. ICBC will be next, wildlife / vehicle collisions are going up.

To your comment about the opportunity to hunt. In my opinion, we must ensure Government set 'huntable populations' as an objective. And we must have numbers.

Bugle M In
01-26-2019, 03:51 PM
JT,

Keep up the good work!
You are, in my opinion, one of the best "watchdogs" we have in the Province, and I really appreciate that.

To everyone, I just want to add this:
There are lots of characters on this site, and to me, they are all important.
I know some wanted to see guys like Fisherdude out of here.
Then there a folks like Bownut (that I don't agree with on direction etc)
And lots of folks in between.
We don't have to agree with everyone.
But it's good to see their point of view, their direction.
We have members from BCWF, WSS etc.
Ranchers, Guides and Trappers.
And we have just us regular Residents who hunt.
I can honestly say, I have no issues with different opinions, nor do I want them gone.
But, I feel comfortable disagreeing with people I know have the heart of a hunter inside.
May not eye to eye, but be assured they all care about hunting and its future.

That being said, there are a few on here that I don't feel comfortable with, as I don't think they have that passion, at all!
It's those folks on here that concern me, and why I can never see working with the Anti's.
We would hit a wall.
If it has no effect on hunting, and is a betterment to wildlife and the environment, I am all for whoever that is that runs it.
But where hunting is concerned, I am sticking only with my comrades.
I trust them, regardless of opinion.

RobU
01-27-2019, 10:50 AM
Do a quick google search fellas. Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.

Non profit organisation originated in US where they are battling the public land issues.
BC opened a chapter in 2014 in the Kootenays. They are working with local local organizations, guides and first nations out there.

Region 2 ( the burnaby meeting ) only got rolling in Feb of 2018 with 12 guys having a beer. Now the room is full of eager and willing to contribute outdoors people.

Obviously BC doesnt have the public land issue in the same way that the US does but we sure have our own issues.

Come down, have a beer, see what you think.

January 31st
7 - 9 PM
Burnaby Rugby Club

Also interested for region 8. Some key questions that someone might have answers to.
Since being US based organization do hunters and anglers receive the representation we need with regards to ministries and politics? Money spent on dues and donations plus money from fund raising campaigns.... does this money stay in BC or does a % go back to mother ship?

Greenthumbed
01-27-2019, 04:44 PM
If anyone is interested in what BHA is about and they like listening to podcasts then check out the latest episode of BHA podcast and blast. It's mostly about the US side of the boarder, but it gets the philosophy of the organization across well. Give it a listen.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/bha-podcast-blast-with-hal-herring/id1259582449?mt=2&i=1000427704273

Leroy91
02-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Hi BriarPatch. Until reading these posts, I had not heard of the PEWs foundation. From a quick scan through Google and what I can see, they are not against hunting or fishing, but support it and openly acknowledge the financial benefit and contribution to conservation that we provide. They certainly seem to sponsor and promote conservation and healthy wildlife and habitat, but work against the procuring of species that are in a threatened state.
Would you be able to share your perspectives? I can appreciate that PEWs may have affiliations with groups that may be antihunting, but I don't necessarily see how that would equate PEWs to be anithunting. If the argument is made to say that a hunting group who receives money from a foundation that has also donated to a nonhunting, or some form of antihunting group, is likely to have the antihunting group's ideals forced on them, couldn't one also say there is just as much chance the the ideals of the hunting group could be forced on the antihunting group? (Sorry about the wordiness).
Hopefully what I am trying to ask/say makes sense.
Also, on your questions you have for BHA, I am in the process currently of trying to filter what I can find of the unanswered questions in this forum to the BC BHA lead for some clarification.

Greenthumbed
02-01-2019, 07:15 PM
Leroy,
your post makes perfect sense.

horshur
02-01-2019, 07:26 PM
PEW...protectionism or environmentalism?

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/vivian-krause-oil-sands-money-trail (https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/vivian-krause-oil-sands-money-trail)

BriarPatch
02-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Leroy91

A few years ago I was a member of a fishing club, we all saw the numbers of fish declining and knew the reasons why. Basically it does not take a genius to figure out that any ecosystem can only support a certain number of predators and a prime factor in any ecosystem is the availability of food further down the chain, if there are no bait fish the predators are not there. A Representative from the PEW foundation who claimed to be a fisherman came & spoke at a meeting about some reports that they had obtained, these reports were dubious at best (if you have enough money you can get a scientist to say anything I come from a family of scientists so I know how this works). The representative assured us that they were not in favour of outright closures just some bag limits or catch & release which seemed ok, a few months later despite what fishermen, guides and everybody else thought a total closure was imposed based on the science provided by the PEW report and with their full support and lobbying. The ban lasted for a couple of years and had no effect on fish populations, eventually it was repealed after much legal argument and real scientific evidence was provided to show that that it was a bait fish problem. As a result of the real science a total ban was placed on Shad fishing. Shad are an important food source for predators but they also have value in the cosmetic & other industries due to their oil content, huge boats were using vacuum fishing and literally sucking every Shad from the ocean which meant there was no food source and hence no predators.

Within 2 years of the closure being lifted and the ban on Shad fishing taking effect the bait fish were back followed by the predators, I personally had the pleasure of witnessing a school of bait fish approx. 500m wide and at least 2 km. long x about 10m deep. A single throw of an 8' cast net caught so many fish that we could not lift it back aboard. We also got to watch the predators working the shoal and the larger predators working the smaller predators who had now become prey right up to the sharks preying on the king fish etc. This was a truly remarkable experience. Unfortunately the original total closure of the fishing based on dubious science resulted in the permanent closure of fishing stores, boat dealerships and guide operations and other businesses some of whom were good friends of mine.

The PEW foundation at the time said they were not against hunting or fishing but from their actions they acted otherwise. They lobbied for outright closures and bans on culls etc. in other areas based on opinions from people affiliated with the PEW foundation and although they may claim that they support hunting & fishing they do not. They are a powerful democratic lobbyist organisation who in no way support hunting or fishing. When I last looked them up a few years ago the profiles of a large number of their executives, affiliates and supporters were openly against culls and anti hunting, fishing & firearms.

I agree that everyone needs to work together for a common goal BUT I am concerned that when working with organisations like the PEW Foundation who are rich and powerful, they can exert pressure when push comes to shove and since the interests of hunters do not align with their own and their supporters views they will simply be pushed to the side and forgotten.

This will the leave hunters who have allied themselves with an organisation and done much of the work in a no win position where whatever they do or say they will look bad!

BriarPatch
02-01-2019, 08:52 PM
Leroy

The statement "against the procuring of species that are in a threatened state" is very open ended and could be interpreted in many ways by different people.

With regard to forcing hunting ideals on some of these rabid antis good luck with that, most hunters would a least try a vegan dish, try getting a vegan to sample a dish containing even an egg and let me know how that goes.

There is no compromise they live in a sheltered world where the Police or someone else will come & look after them. They believe all hunting, fishing or even eating meat is morally wrong. My daughters teacher who openly projects her vegan, left wing views onto young impressionable children was offended by my daughters shirt which said "Some girls wear bows real girls shoot them"

Good luck getting any agreement from people like that

Leroy91
02-04-2019, 11:22 AM
To wrap up some loose ends, below is a pointed list of responses to some unanswered questions from earlier posts. I believe I captured or was able to summarize what hasn't been cleared up.
I am a BC BHA member and reached out to contact the provincial chair for these clarifications and would encourage anyone with further questions to come out to a and see what we do and what we have going on. Meetings occur the second Tuesday. Also look for regional pint nights and events. In BC, quarterly newsletters will become a regular notification for active members. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to participate in the provincial leadership workshop that occurred in January and can honestly say that the leadership for BC BHA consists of a group of outstanding men and women with a lot of passion and a clear vision of the 'big picture' of hunting and angling in British Columbia.

-Do the BHA support predator hunting and trophy hunting? -We support science based wildlife and habitat management for all species. Game and non-game. Predators and non-predators. If the evidence is there to have the hunt, we support it and have submitted this in writing numerous times to the government both in generalization, and in specifics, such as with the grizzly hunt.

-Where does BHA stand on protecting Hunting and Fishing rights? -We protect hunting and wildlife through protecting wildlife and habitat. Clearly outlined in our mission statement:
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of wild public lands, waters, and wildlife.

-Funding sources. -We are a nonprofit organization and are transparent in our funding but are also independent in deciding how that funding is used. 100% of the money raised in BC stays in BC to be spent on BC issues. We are not influenced by the agendas of anyone who may donate to us and strictly represent the mission and values created by the members we represent. Again, our purpose is to ensure the heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting through education and work on behalf of wild, public lands, waters, and wildlife.

-If you want to learn more or have any further questions, please come out in person. We look forward to working with anyone wanting to make a difference in the conservation of hunting and fishing. This year will see a continuation in growth and an increased focus on wildlife and habitat projects and communication. On behalf of regional board members, we look forward to meeting anyone interested in getting involved. While some regions are currently lacking a chairperson, we are currently working to fill those roles to improve physical representation in those areas.

I hope that helps.

jan.wi97
02-04-2019, 01:19 PM
Very interested in joining! Just can’t manage frequent trips to the Lower Mainland
in my spare time. Anything local in the Okanagan happening?

TexasWalker
02-04-2019, 03:07 PM
To wrap up some loose ends, below is a pointed list of responses to some unanswered questions from earlier posts. I believe I captured or was able to summarize what hasn't been cleared up.
I am a BC BHA member and reached out to contact the provincial chair for these clarifications and would encourage anyone with further questions to come out to a and see what we do and what we have going on. Meetings occur the second Tuesday. Also look for regional pint nights and events. In BC, quarterly newsletters will become a regular notification for active members. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to participate in the provincial leadership workshop that occurred in January and can honestly say that the leadership for BC BHA consists of a group of outstanding men and women with a lot of passion and a clear vision of the 'big picture' of hunting and angling in British Columbia.

-Do the BHA support predator hunting and trophy hunting? -We support science based wildlife and habitat management for all species. Game and non-game. Predators and non-predators. If the evidence is there to have the hunt, we support it and have submitted this in writing numerous times to the government both in generalization, and in specifics, such as with the grizzly hunt.

-Where does BHA stand on protecting Hunting and Fishing rights? -We protect hunting and wildlife through protecting wildlife and habitat. Clearly outlined in our mission statement:
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of wild public lands, waters, and wildlife.

-Funding sources. -We are a nonprofit organization and are transparent in our funding but are also independent in deciding how that funding is used. 100% of the money raised in BC stays in BC to be spent on BC issues. We are not influenced by the agendas of anyone who may donate to us and strictly represent the mission and values created by the members we represent. Again, our purpose is to ensure the heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting through education and work on behalf of wild, public lands, waters, and wildlife.

-If you want to learn more or have any further questions, please come out in person. We look forward to working with anyone wanting to make a difference in the conservation of hunting and fishing. This year will see a continuation in growth and an increased focus on wildlife and habitat projects and communication. On behalf of regional board members, we look forward to meeting anyone interested in getting involved. While some regions are currently lacking a chairperson, we are currently working to fill those roles to improve physical representation in those areas.

I hope that helps.

Is Justin Trudeau the provincial chair?

butcher
02-04-2019, 08:29 PM

I hope that helps.

When is the next meeting or get together in the Fraser Valley? I’ll be in Abbotsford all next week and wouldn’t mind having a listen.

Greenthumbed
02-04-2019, 09:12 PM
Thanks Leroy, for the post.

Foxton Gundogs
02-04-2019, 09:43 PM

I hope that helps.

This sounds eerily close to another "conservation" organization her in B.C. IMHO one is more that enough what this province needs is an organization not afraid to stand up for the hunters, anglers and firearm owners of B.C. not make excuses why they won't. Hunters are the true conservationists time to quit conveniently trying to separate the 2 things and make a real difference.

f350ps
02-04-2019, 09:54 PM
When is the next meeting or get together in the Fraser Valley? I’ll be in Abbotsford all next week and wouldn’t mind having a listen.
I'd also be interested in having a listen! K

Ourea
02-04-2019, 09:54 PM
This sounds eerily close to another "conservation" organization her in B.C. IMHO one is more that enough what this province needs is an organization not afraid to stand up for the hunters, anglers and firearm owners of B.C. not make excuses why they won't. Hunters are the true conservationists time to quit conveniently trying to separate the 2 things and make a real difference.

Solution?
Platform?

Wild one
02-04-2019, 10:05 PM

Its time some start putting some real thought into creating an organization to fit the needs you mentioned because one does not exist in BC

I am not joking either

walks with deer
10-04-2019, 11:41 AM
bump bump bump

ElectricDyck
10-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Its time some start putting some real thought into creating an organization to fit the needs you mentioned because one does not exist in BC

I am not joking either

Yep if things keep going the way they are hunting, fishing and guns will be deemed socially immoral and cancelled.

walks with deer
01-03-2020, 12:47 AM
2020 needs to be the year outdoorsman take back the mountain..