PDA

View Full Version : pink salmon

270WIN
09-14-2007, 02:30 PM
well i am heading up to sqamish this week end to visit the inlaws i have to help do some work around there house so i was thinking in trying some fishing up there on the monquam river see if i could hook into some pinks i know it all cartch and release but i be figer to kill a few hours tring to hook some on a fly my question do any of you have experience fly fishing for them and what fly to use i was thinking pink wooly buggers or some egg patteren

Wildman
09-14-2007, 02:42 PM
They dont bite while in the rivers, specially that far up.

NEEHAMA
09-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Actually they do bite in rivers. it's the sockeye that don't.
pink spoons and the mouths where they hold up.

Mr. Dean
09-14-2007, 02:56 PM
i've caught pinks on the FR in Langley, using 50/50 spoons.

Wildman
09-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Well I must be doing something wrong in my twenty five years of fishing. I'm not saying you are wrong. I cant get a pink to bit unless they are in the lower reaches of the rivers.

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-14-2007, 07:23 PM
They dont bite while in the rivers, specially that far up.
The Mamquam river is about a mile to the ocean,the fresh pinks come up with the high tides ,they dont feed in the rivers ,the fresh fish bite out of aggression especially the females.The squamish run of pinks should be winding down but there should be some cohos and chum to target.Try using a fast sinking tip ,the fly patterns arent as important as getting into the right depth zone.If you watch guys catching fish ask them some questions and they should give you the right answers.

plumbob
09-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Tie a bbig clump of pink marabou on a hook and hang on.Thats all we use and you can't keep them off.

NaStY
09-14-2007, 07:28 PM
The only fish I'm aware of that don't bite is none. All salmon bite, attack, feed. Depends where you are and the conditions. Sockeye do bite and or feed even in rivers. I have seen it. We used dyed krill for them in the Harrison under a float with 6" leaders. Man they would hammer it. If you didnt have a hold of your rod :shock:

Deerwhacker
09-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Pinks will bite anything, they are by far the most agressive salmon and ive been slayin them since befour i can remember. just use whatever you feel like useing. I like to tye up flys in a creative fashion and name them after my friends moms but really if you through a cronomid out there you could probably get one to bite(but i wouldn't try it).