PDA

View Full Version : Large Cutting Boards for butchering

Would Rather Be Fishing
01-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for where in the LML to get large cutting boards for home butchering? I am looking to get these white "plastic" ones you see in industrial kitchens that can easily be washed, disinfected and stored away.

Looking for something in the area of 3x4ft or larger.

P.S: Yes, I did google it, but nothing in the LML came up and shipping is, unsurprisingly, crazy expensive

Island Idiots
01-17-2019, 05:04 PM
Biggest I have seen were at wholesale foods.

Would Rather Be Fishing
01-17-2019, 05:07 PM
You mean "Whole Foods"?

panhead
01-17-2019, 05:14 PM
Lot's of used restaurant equipment places around the LM. Try them maybe.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you hit the point of no return. The review mirror is a waste of time.

whognu
01-17-2019, 05:16 PM
industrial plastics and paint in victoria has/can get any size you want

maybe they would know someone over here

Jimsue
01-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Redwood plastic in surrey, actually Port Kells.

its a form of UHMW, ask for Ed

saskbooknut
01-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Called rink board if you want really big.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
01-17-2019, 06:23 PM
Puck board as opposed to rink board ????????????? at least in my area. Are they the same?

Ferenc
01-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Redwood plastics and Barr plastics .... be expected for a shock , it’s not cheap.

Blockcaver
01-17-2019, 07:00 PM
I use a large piece of 1/2” thick plexiglass that we were throwing away at work and I was able to get a salvage slip for it. I put a white bath towel over the washer and the dryer then put the “cutting board” on top. Perfect height to cut. We usually disinfect it after use and again before using it due to the tiny cuts in it. The white towels under the plexiglass make it very easy to see. We have a fluorescent over the area too.

Another good option I used prior to the plexiglass was a piece of light colored Formica counter-top. It was fine as well.

saskbooknut
01-17-2019, 07:15 PM
Puck board/ rink board is cheap - 4x8 sheets. RONA shows it at $ 77 online.

tinhorse
01-17-2019, 07:27 PM
Folding plastic table from Canadian tire. Working area is about 30" x 66". For around $50 it's awesome. I place 4" wood pieces under the legs to get it up a bit so my back isn't soar after cutting for a couple hours but other than that it is great. Cleans up nice and easy. Sturdy and holds half a moose no problem. Wipe down with bleach, soapy water then a clean water spray off or wipe down. Fold up and store away for next use. Folds to 30"x30" x 5". Or so....

BriarPatch
01-17-2019, 07:29 PM
I was in bass pro today and they had some about 2' x 3'-6" did not look at price

also there is wholesale club or something like that just east of metrotown mall about 2' x 2' $30 each

Wentrot
01-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Folding plastic table from Canadian tire. Working area is about 30" x 66". For around $50 it's awesome. I place 4" wood pieces under the legs to get it up a bit so my back isn't soar after cutting for a couple hours but other than that it is great. Cleans up nice and easy. Sturdy and holds half a moose no problem. Wipe down with bleach, soapy water then a clean water spray off or wipe down. Fold up and store away for next use. Folds to 30"x30" x 5". Or so....

Best way to go right there.

Salty
01-17-2019, 08:25 PM

Great minds.. Sometimes I tape down some freezer paper or parchment paper to make clean up easier. I bought it as a camp table but works great for butchering too.

bobber1271
01-17-2019, 08:30 PM
i would try laird plastics in surrey. This is where industrial plastics buys it from and most kitchen supplier get it from. You can get it anywhere from 1/4 up to 2 inches and its food grade. It's a bit pricey 4' by 10' by 3/4" is about $450, but you can order different sizes.

scoutlt1
01-17-2019, 08:32 PM

I use basically the same but paid about $100 from Costco. Works great!

lip_ripper00
01-17-2019, 09:23 PM
I have one 3’x3’ use it for processing in the garage fish, game messy stuff, or take it and put it on the island in the kitchen when canning etc. Multi purpose. Surrey plastics, ( couple of doors from the old fur and feathers) or Rimac in Vancouver.

MRP
01-18-2019, 06:53 AM
Plywood. Bleach, cut meat, repeat.
tests show that wood cutting boards are more sanitary than plastic do to natural bacteria killers in the wood. I believe that was on marketplace or Mith Buster's I can't remember.

albravo2
01-18-2019, 07:18 AM
I use basically the same but paid about $100 from Costco. Works great!

I like the costco one because the leg height is adjustable and the table can be at a comfortable height without blocks under the legs.

ajr5406
01-18-2019, 07:44 AM
There is also a budget restaurant supply place on highway 10 in Langley. I got my large cutting boards there. They have lots of great stuff for the food-minded.

SR80
01-18-2019, 07:45 AM
My mother in law bought me a huge one from cabelas a few years back. Works great and cleans up great. Was expensive though, like $189? she left the price tag on it, i think she did it on purpose :grin:

Atlas12
01-18-2019, 09:13 AM
Most plastics suppliers (Redwood Plastics, Northern Plastics etc) should be able to get you one in any size or thickness you want.

It should be something along the lines of "Food grade UHMW".

You might be tempted to go thicker rather than thinner, but get a price first. UHMW is expensive! (Last order of solid round ran me between $6-$8/lb, and its deceptively heavy too).

Would Rather Be Fishing
01-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Puck board/ rink board is cheap - 4x8 sheets. RONA shows it at $ 77 online.

Oh wow THAT is what I was looking for, pays to know what to call it :-) Thanks a bunch I will check it out tonight!

Would Rather Be Fishing
01-18-2019, 10:03 AM
There is also a budget restaurant supply place on highway 10 in Langley. I got my large cutting boards there. They have lots of great stuff for the food-minded.

Do you happen to know the name?

tyreguy
01-18-2019, 10:19 AM
I got one several years ago that works great. 24x48 Rapala cutting board - about 3/8 thick with a handle already cut.
i take it with me when i go on hunting trips and use for everything.

Google this - shows $75 + $15 for shipping through Amazon.com- don't know if CDN or USD but looks like its close to what i bought mine for. its a big item for shipping, $15 is cheap.
Rapala Pro Series Board 24x48

Walking Buffalo
01-18-2019, 11:03 AM
tests show that wood cutting boards are more sanitary than plastic do to natural bacteria killers in the wood. I believe that was on marketplace or Mith Buster's I can't remember.

This is correct. Wood cutting boards are Much more sanitary than plastic.

Lots of solid wood top tables being sold cheap or thrown away. Sand off the varnish and you're good to go. Cut to size or use the whole table.

lip_ripper00
01-18-2019, 11:16 AM
I don’t believe for a moment wood carries less bacteria than plastic if cleaned properly, think about it wood is way more porous than plastic!

Ubertuber
01-18-2019, 11:18 AM

I use a wood board as well for butchering. Cleans fine and I find it easier to cut on. Plastic boards get gnarly after a while.

Walking Buffalo
01-18-2019, 01:29 PM
I don’t believe for a moment wood carries less bacteria than plastic if cleaned properly, think about it wood is way more porous than plastic!

Do a little research.

Wood has been declared the best (safest) by science.

I won't recommend plywood, use solid hardwood.

bacon_overlord
01-18-2019, 03:04 PM
Do a little research.

Wood has been declared the best (safest) by science.

I won't recommend plywood, use solid hardwood.

I use a sheet of sanded hardwood faced plywood for butchering, put lips on the bottom so it rests over my deep freeze. Vinegar and dish detergent for sterilizing works awesome.

walks with deer
01-18-2019, 05:02 PM
glass is my tool

Sportster
01-18-2019, 05:41 PM
I use to be in the meat processing industry and we used both, plastic and wood butcher blocks. The wood has natural enzymes in it that protects the tree from bacteria and diseases. The large commercial grade plastic cutting boards we used required much more detail when it came to clean up at the end of the day. As mentioned, they get gnarly and gauged from cutting. That being said they have large wood cutting boards at the Gourmet warehouse on Hastings street in Vancouver.

wrenchhead
01-18-2019, 09:16 PM
I use a piece of finish grade plywood...good swab with vinegar the clean it up, and if it gets too cut up I just sand it out.
I dont like he hard surfaces like glass.....loose the knives edge too fast.

snipersights
01-19-2019, 06:53 AM
I do Live Edge Slabs. We have some big pieces of redwood that might work for you. Obviously it’s not plastic just throwing it out there. We’re going to be working on cutting board projects in the next year mostly 16 x 16 but we will have some bigger ones as well

ajr5406
01-19-2019, 08:36 AM
https://www.budgetfoodequipment.com/index.php
Do you happen to know the name?

Yes, it’s called Budget Food Equipment: https://www.budgetfoodequipment.com/index.php

brian
01-21-2019, 01:52 PM

Those plastic cutting boards get so many cuts and grooves in them that are great places to harbour all kinds of living growing things. All the older ones I've seen are kind of scary looking. I just use my well cleaned counter top to break down the larger pieces and use a smaller cutting board under the cut or for when the meat is broken down into managable sizes. Most of my animals are on the smaller side though (blacktail and sheep).

35 Whelen
01-21-2019, 03:26 PM
Butcher supply store

Visle
01-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Found this article on the web..https://news.ncsu.edu/2014/09/cutting-boards-food-safety/

Darksith
01-21-2019, 05:18 PM
kitchen wholesalers
Herritage parts, key foods etc. Google that, you will find them. Or online used restaurant equipment liquidators. I have several

Huevos
01-21-2019, 06:17 PM
I used to use the plexiglass. Now I just use a $60 costco table. Just cut right on the plastic table top and when you are done, spray it off and disinfect it. Works great and you can set it up wherever you want.