PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee for the first time this spring

ekul246
01-12-2019, 08:47 PM
So I've been doing some research on fishing for these.

Who here goes for Kokanee?

Fishing with Rod has some helpful tips. But there is so much other info out there it just gets confusing.
What setups do you guys use?
I don't have downriggers for my 12ft Jon boat. And would rather not buy even the little ones from Cabela's.
I was thinking of jigging a Croc while anchored as well as trolling a Dodger with a snubber and a spoon or wedding band tipped with krill or shoepeg corn. What about a little roebag of my own cured sockeye from this past summer?
If I fish in early March, seems from what I've read, the fish should be closer to the surface and I can fish under a bobber or troll close to the surface and should have some success. Maybe?
Since I live in Mission, I would like to try Hayward, if there is any Kokanee there. Or on Stave Lake?
I'm about to make a purchase on Bass pro and include some of the seemingly necessary gear like snubbers and dodgers. Thought about Willow Leafs but not sure if I want to add that weight to my line while trolling.

I have no experience with this and I don't know anybody who has experience with Kokanee so I'm reaching out to get some good advice and clarity on all the info that is out there.

Hopefully you guys can help me out.

wifigary
01-12-2019, 09:27 PM
I use a macs dodger with the pink tape, no snubber, and 12-14” leader off the end with a UV squid tipped with corn marinated in “Kokanee magic” first then the “bloody tuna” pro-cure scent. Around here they seem to be around 30’ deep and 25-30’ back behind the downrigger ball. Troll very slow, 1.5-2k max and make lots of “S” patterns.

barry1974w
01-12-2019, 10:11 PM
I’ve had good success with a small gang troll with a wedding band tipped with a piece of worm behind. Just trolled slow eightyish feet behind the boat.

Jagermeister
01-12-2019, 11:14 PM
Get a low profile 27# lead core line with 50' of 15# test line. Use a FST #5 without the hook attached to leader and then a short section (14") of 8 or 10# test line and a small spoon, hoochie or even a wedding band. Like wifigary says, go slow, I don't think it matter much about the s patterns but pulling the rod forward about 5 or 6 feet and then dropping it back to let the flasher flutter down may improve your strikes. I use a large capacity level wind reel, Penn is my preferred reel. I use these so I do not get any kinks in the lead line and the retrieve rate is fast. When you feel a slight tap, rapidly reel because kokanee will run toward you making you believe you lost it. They will shake off if not kept on tension.
Your 12 Jon boat is a good fishing boat. I would suggest that you row instead of using motor power. A stroke every 3 to 5 seconds or maybe a second or two more. Your lure will slow at the intervals between the power stroke which makes for good action.
I usually fish 3 to 4 colors trailing in early morning and 6 to 7 colors at high sun position.

ekul246
01-12-2019, 11:21 PM
I’ve had good success with a small gang troll with a wedding band tipped with a piece of worm behind. Just trolled slow eightyish feet behind the boat.

How do you tow the gang troll? Separately behind the boat or on the rod?

ekul246
01-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Get a low profile 27# lead core line with 50' of 15# test line. Use a FST #5 without the hook attached to leader and then a short section (14") of 8 or 10# test line and a small spoon, hoochie or even a wedding band. Like wifigary says, go slow, I don't think it matter much about the s patterns but pulling the rod forward about 5 or 6 feet and then dropping it back to let the flasher flutter down may improve your strikes. I use a large capacity level wind reel, Penn is my preferred reel. I use these so I do not get any kinks in the lead line and the retrieve rate is fast. When you feel a slight tap, rapidly reel because kokanee will run toward you making you believe you lost it. They will shake off if not kept on tension.
Your 12 Jon boat is a good fishing boat. I would suggest that you row instead of using motor power. A stroke every 3 to 5 seconds or maybe a second or two more. Your lure will slow at the intervals between the power stroke which makes for good action.
I usually fish 3 to 4 colors trailing in early morning and 6 to 7 colors at high sun position.

Good info Jagermeister. Will lead core go onto a spinning reel? Looking to keeps costs low. Will my 6'6" medium action rod work with that too?

ekul246
01-12-2019, 11:41 PM

Good info Jagermeister. Will lead core go into a spinning reel? Looking to keeps costs low. Will my 6'6" medium action rod work with that too?

Jagermeister
01-13-2019, 12:24 AM
Spinning reels twist the line too much. Go with a level wind. Your 6'6" rod will work. Check garage sales for level winds. Penn 309, Penn 320 GTi, Okuma 300 L, Arsenal would be some to look for. Maybe a Shakespeare. It would be better if you have a rod with a smaller guide than the large one found on the spinning rods. Look at garage sales for those too and do not overlook pawnshops and other secondhand stores. Just know your prices first so you don't get rolled over by some crafty salesperson in a pawnshop.

Iron Glove
01-13-2019, 10:19 AM
We used to fish quite often for Kokanee in Otter Lake @ Tulameen. Too lazy now. :lol:
A spinning reel, 6 - 6.5 ft. rods, trolled behind our 12 ft. using either the electric or the Merc.
1 - 2 ft. wedding band then @ 1.5 ft. of line to a Dick Knight or a Kokanee Killer.
A rubber "snubber" is a good idea as their mouths are pretty soft.
Kawkawa Lake in Hope is an easy hour drive from Mission, has pretty decent Spring Kokanee fishing.
Have been meaning to take my little "plastic" punt home to Hope from the cabin and give it a go sometime, probably with a little electric.
Good luck, Kokes are IMHO the best tasting fresh water fish. :mrgreen:

elknut
01-13-2019, 04:47 PM
Having moved to the Cariboo in 1979 I haven't fished kokanee for many years..I used to fish Kawkawa lake at Hope in the spring..I used chironomids ...They worked awsome...Small size 14-16 ...Caught kokanee to 22 inches ...Don"t know now what its like but chironomids work...Dennis

ekul246
01-13-2019, 07:09 PM
1 - 2 ft. wedding band then @ 1.5 ft. of line to a Dick Knight or a Kokanee Killer. :mrgreen:

Maybe a little more detail on this?

nature girl
01-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Hey ekul246 I cant tell you anything about kokanee fishing but I did see you would like to try stave lake just watch the lake as the lake can get pretty windy. Like today went on the lake near the boat launch it was a bit windy but on the main lake it was pretty calm. And going out this time of year barely any boats out on the water. So for the weather I look up stave falls powerhouse weather mission bc and it is pretty good for telling you about the weather.
Good luck kokanee fishing.

Oh yes watch out for the stumps a lot of stumps on the lake and know the buoy markers. Believe me you will loose some fishing gear on stave lake.

Iron Glove
01-13-2019, 08:47 PM
Maybe a little more detail on this?

Look at your local fishing store for a small, 1 - 2 ft in length wedding band, "gang troll" or a small flasher set, remember Kokanee are relatively small.
Use swivels at each connection. Tie on about 1.5 ft. of fishing line and tie the end of that to a Dick Knight ( small "spoon" with hook ) or a Kokanee Killer, same idea.
Some attach bait to the hook. Troll slowly. Suggest the rubber "snubber" so you don't rip the hook out too easily.

barry1974w
01-13-2019, 08:52 PM
How do you tow the gang troll? Separately behind the boat or on the rod?

we just had em on the rod. I think the one I used to most of the time was called a Kokanee troll, but when I just goggled it I didn’t see anything. Pretty small as far as gang trolls go, but if you’re looking for a fight, a Kokanee dragging a gang troll around isn’t going to get you excited.

ekul246
01-13-2019, 09:21 PM
Hey ekul246 I cant tell you anything about kokanee fishing but I did see you would like to try stave lake just watch the lake as the lake can get pretty windy. Like today went on the lake near the boat launch it was a bit windy but on the main lake it was pretty calm. And going out this time of year barely any boats out on the water. So for the weather I look up stave falls powerhouse weather mission bc and it is pretty good for telling you about the weather.
Good luck kokanee fishing.

Oh yes watch out for the stumps a lot of stumps on the lake and know the buoy markers. Believe me you will loose some fishing gear on stave lake.
Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case from having canoed on it when i was a teenager.

ekul246
01-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Look at your local fishing store for a small, 1 - 2 ft in length wedding band, "gang troll" or a small flasher set, remember Kokanee are relatively small.
Use swivels at each connection. Tie on about 1.5 ft. of fishing line and tie the end of that to a Dick Knight ( small "spoon" with hook ) or a Kokanee Killer, same idea.
Some attach bait to the hook. Troll slowly. Suggest the rubber "snubber" so you don't rip the hook out too easily.
Oh ok. I understand. I have a few wedding bands I just didn't think of them as being 1-2ft long.
Definitely going to try the snubber as it seems that is important.

ekul246
01-13-2019, 09:31 PM
we just had em on the rod. I think the one I used to most of the time was called a Kokanee troll, but when I just goggled it I didn’t see anything. Pretty small as far as gang trolls go, but if you’re looking for a fight, a Kokanee dragging a gang troll around isn’t going to get you excited.
Cabela's carries a willow leaf gang troll that I was considering https://www.cabelas.ca/product/8596/lucky-strike-willow-leaf-lake-trolls. I'm going to be ordering a couple dodgers. This one https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/yakima-fast-limit-kokanee-dodger in silver and surfer. Both 3 3/4".

The overall setup i was considering before starting this thread was a dodger followed by a spoon or wedding band tipped with krill. Two rods set up. One is a light 5'6" and then the medium 6'6".

But I am interested by what Jagermeister said about lead core line.

Which non-downrigger method is the most popular?

Jagermeister
01-13-2019, 10:16 PM
There is no denying that gang trolls work. But the weight of the gang troll over a single flasher and tiny spoon makes it necessary to have the snubber and you will miss some hits.
I have gang trolls, they have not seen the light of day for years until this year when I found a new use for them as ornaments on the Christmas Tree.
Elknut, wander over to Horse Lake, Deka or Bridge Lakes for some dam fine Kokanee fishing. Pick up the smaller Sling Blade. Works mighty fine according to my son, the fishing legend. I taught him every thing he knows, well just about everything, some things he picked up on his own.

elknut
01-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Thanks Jagermeister....I'm too busy fishing chironomids for big rainbow...When I lived down at the coast then Kawkawa was great for spring fishing..I have friends that fish for kokanee in Deka and Bridge lakes ..They mainly troll for them ...I'm not into that anymore..I've caught kokanee on the chironomid during a mayfly hatch on Horse lake .....Thanks again Jagermeister....Dennis

Iron Glove
01-14-2019, 03:44 PM
Oops, was driving back from the cabin and ekul246's comment about the size of wedding bands got me thinking about what I said.
I should have said "willowleaf" not wedding band, the wedding band is the for the end of the line, like the Kokanee Killers and such.
Don't know what I was thinking but I'll claim advancing age and beer impairment. :eek:
Sorry.

Jagermeister
01-14-2019, 04:08 PM
Long time ago I used to tie flies for Young’s Tools & Hardwares in Penticton. Only one pattern and that was
a red bodied Doc Spratly. I would tie a gross or two and he would sell them to the Kokanee fishermen for use in Skaha Lake.

twanger
01-14-2019, 06:02 PM
Ekul246, i caught the Kokanee bug bad about 2 years ago now. My go to setup has been a 4" Mac's Sling Blade in Pink UV followed by a pink micro hoochie with corn or power bait on the hook. That being said, i think i have over 50 Flashers & Dodgers in all sorts of colors in a Dodger wallet, a huge assortment and colors of Hoochies, Apex's, Wedding Bands, Spin N Glows, Brads Cut Plugs and Spoons. I also got my hands on a few Slide Diver Lite Bites (Google em) to get things down down in depth. You will catch the bug once you start..
Twanger

ekul246
01-14-2019, 09:31 PM
I am liking all the info.

What about some of the other local lakes such as Hayward and Alouette? Are there Kokanee or is it just a better bet to go to Kawkawa?

bankshot
01-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Willow leaf with a wedding band and a pink maggot on a 6 1/2' rod with a spinning reel, trolled slowly about 100' back. I suggest Hub Sports in Mission or Fred's Custom tackle in Abbotsford rather than the ones you mentioned. The local knowledge and service is worth the time to go see them if you haven't already.

Westcoastgunner
01-14-2019, 10:01 PM
I never bought into the major set up for Kokanee, 6-6 rod, spin reel, croc spoon 2’ leader with a pretty heavy weight up from the leader. Simple and sweet. Works well for us

Rieber
01-15-2019, 07:53 PM
Up Allouette Lake around the narrows, we found the small 4-6" flashers 50/50 silver/brass ahead of ~6' of 6# fluoro leader and a small pink/white Dick Nite tipped with maggots was the killer. Used 7-9' spinning rods. and put the outboard in neutral when reeling them in to reduce drag.

On Kawkawa Lake, caught loads of Kokanee at the beginning of the season on small red, brassor silver bead head micro leeches. Cast and strip or trolled with 3wt. slime line.

Out in the Kootenays in all Kokanee bearing lakes, my favorite was a medium sized two or 4-blade Willow Leaf gang troll, 18-24" leader to a Wedding Ring spinner tipped with natural or pink maggots.

ekul246
01-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Up Allouette Lake around the narrows, we found the small 4-6" flashers 50/50 silver/brass ahead of ~6' of 6# fluoro leader and a small pink/white Dick Nite tipped with maggots was the killer. Used 7-9' spinning rods. and put the outboard in neutral when reeling them in to reduce drag.

On Kawkawa Lake, caught loads of Kokanee at the beginning of the season on small red, brassor silver bead head micro leeches. Cast and strip or trolled with 3wt. slime line.

Out in the Kootenays in all Kokanee bearing lakes, my favorite was a medium sized two or 4-blade Willow Leaf gang troll, 18-24" leader to a Wedding Ring spinner tipped with natural or pink maggots.

I'm guessing it's not practical to get to the narrows with only a trolling motor? I have a big battery but.......?

ekul246
01-16-2019, 08:44 PM
Another question? What colour dodgers do you guys like?

Rieber
01-17-2019, 10:28 AM
I'm guessing it's not practical to get to the narrows with only a trolling motor? I have a big battery but.......?

It gets powerful windy in the afternoons and the big lakes are not something to fool around on. Narrows are a long ways away for a trolling motor and I've been on there with with a 12' tinny and a 9.9 2-stroke with two guys in the boat - the 2' waves made it miserable getting back - almost overwhelming for the little 9.9 - I don't advise the long trips on big open water under battery power. But you can catch kokanuts right near and across from the launch so you just have to play it by ear and only venture out as far as you feel comfortable rowing into the wind.

Kawakwa Lake is better for your barrety troller but the Kawkawa Kokanee taste better than the Aloutte Lk variey. Maybe because Kawkawa has more opportunity for sewage to get into it or because it doesn't have the fish pellet feeder as Alouette does.

I really like the 50/50 silver/brass dodger/flashers when I use them for kokanee,

Ben Fougere
01-24-2019, 02:39 AM
ekul246, I became a kokanee addict in 2015 and have been trying as many different techniques and gear to catch them as I can since then. There's simply too many things to say about kokanee fishing in one comment, but here it goes. You can keep your kokanee fishing setup simple or complicated. When I first started getting into kokanee fishing, I did not own a boat. I used to rent a 12ft aluminum boat and use my pontoon boat electric motor to troll for them. I had no downriggers or special gear other than a 6ft rod, an extremely light drag (let them pull lots of line because of their soft mouths) a dodger and a pink spin-n-glow with white wings. We would troll in the spring and catch lots of kokanee on our local lake, Ten Mile Lake here in Quesnel. I used a Luhr Jensen 4 inch dodger at the time (and still use them on occasion) because they are heavier than other lighter dodgers and will get you down to the right depth in the spring.

My addiction to learn about kokanee fishing became a reality and I started watching as many youtube videos as I could. I found there were not a lot of kokanee fishing videos on Youtube for our lakes in British Columbia. At the time, I strayed away from starting a Youtube channel because I did not have the funding for a video editing program. We started our family Facebook group in June of 2016 called KOKANEE FISHING BC. I am amazed how much I have learned since then and continue to learn. If you need more information to help you learn and are on Facebook, feel free to check us out. We went public this year and all the information is available for you to read (you do not need to be a member unless you want to comment or ask questions). We have a LEARNING section in our Facebook group where I am setting it up to help with the learning curve. We also started a Youtube channel called FOUGERE FAMILY ADVENTURES. We have uploaded all our kokanee fishing videos to our Youtube channel and focus on trying to help others learn as we learn.

I hope this helps or can help you moving forward. Here's the links to our Facebook group and Youtube Channel.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KokanneFishingBC/

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDPQ36InYEnIW3Fws_JfS2A/featured?view_as=subscriber

Seeker
01-24-2019, 11:41 AM
Danny Coyne has some great intro to kokanee videos on his website. BCFISHN.com , hit the drop down menu "By Species" you'll find kokanee.

ekul246
01-24-2019, 09:23 PM
ekul246, I became a kokanee addict in 2015 and have been trying as many different techniques and gear to catch them as I can since then. There's simply too many things to say about kokanee fishing in one comment, but here it goes. You can keep your kokanee fishing setup simple or complicated. When I first started getting into kokanee fishing, I did not own a boat. I used to rent a 12ft aluminum boat and use my pontoon boat electric motor to troll for them. I had no downriggers or special gear other than a 6ft rod, an extremely light drag (let them pull lots of line because of their soft mouths) a dodger and a pink spin-n-glow with white wings. We would troll in the spring and catch lots of kokanee on our local lake, Ten Mile Lake here in Quesnel. I used a Luhr Jensen 4 inch dodger at the time (and still use them on occasion) because they are heavier than other lighter dodgers and will get you down to the right depth in the spring.

My addiction to learn about kokanee fishing became a reality and I started watching as many youtube videos as I could. I found there were not a lot of kokanee fishing videos on Youtube for our lakes in British Columbia. At the time, I strayed away from starting a Youtube channel because I did not have the funding for a video editing program. We started our family Facebook group in June of 2016 called KOKANEE FISHING BC. I am amazed how much I have learned since then and continue to learn. If you need more information to help you learn and are on Facebook, feel free to check us out. We went public this year and all the information is available for you to read (you do not need to be a member unless you want to comment or ask questions). We have a UNITS section in our Facebook group where I am setting it up to help with the learning curve. We also started a Youtube channel called FOUGERE FAMILY ADVENTURES. We have uploaded all our kokanee fishing videos to our Youtube channel and focus on trying to help others learn as we learn.

I hope this helps or can help you moving forward. Here's the links to our Facebook group and Youtube Channel.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KokanneFishingBC/

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDPQ36InYEnIW3Fws_JfS2A/featured?view_as=subscriber
I will definitely check this out!

Ben Fougere
01-25-2019, 02:55 AM
Seeker has some good advice too.

ekul246, make sure you check out BCFishn.com as well. Danny Coyne has a lot of great information on kokanee fishing as well.

ekul246
02-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Got my gear together. Was planning to go out to Alouette this coming Saturday but not sure now with this weather.
Should I still give it a go?

Rieber
02-04-2019, 03:08 PM
Got my gear together. Was planning to go out to Alouette this coming Saturday but not sure now with this weather.
Should I still give it a go?

Not sure if the gate is open. The wind has been terrible lately - bad lake to be on if it gets windy.

I also seem to remember that Kawkawa Lake fished better at the beginning of the season before Alouetle picked up.

Chuck
02-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Trolling for Kokanee was once the "only way" using a snubber behind a wedding ring and baited with corn kernel. We don't do that anymore. We now use a spinning rod and reel and cast/spin from shore or boat for them using a "kokanee killer" or a small 1inch fast sinking lure of lead (similar to a deadly dick) that's painted a neon orange, red or shade of pink with a couple of maggots on a single hook. Fish it close to the bottom, jigging all the while. If trolling with a spinning outfit and to prevent "line twist" don't rely on swivels alone, but use a suitably sized plastic rudder 3 or 4 feet ahead of the terminal rig.

ekul246
02-19-2019, 12:21 PM
I have picked up a couple dodgers, I have some Kokanee snubbers, spoons, some wedding bands, a couple hoochies, some cured pink krill, red cured Kokanee pautzke shoepeg corn. I also have some of my own cured sockeye roe tied up in balls I was thinking of trying too. Was planning to give it a go these last two Saturdays but with this snow and getting sick I've been alternately in bed or plowing/shoveling snow. This Saturday is my first ever salmon saltwater charter. So Kokanee will have to wait a couple more weeks. Kawkawa will be open for Kokanee by then. Maybe I'll head that way instead.
I'm going to give bottom fishing, float fishing and trolling a try. Appreciate all the tips from everyone. When/if I am successful, I'll post some pictures.
Ekul246

Ben Fougere
02-19-2019, 09:31 PM
I look forward to hearing how you do. Good luck when you get out there.

TexasWalker
02-19-2019, 10:39 PM
I have picked up a couple dodgers, I have some Kokanee snubbers, spoons, some wedding bands, a couple hoochies, some cured pink krill, red cured Kokanee pautzke shoepeg corn. I also have some of my own cured sockeye roe tied up in balls I was thinking of trying too. Was planning to give it a go these last two Saturdays but with this snow and getting sick I've been alternately in bed or plowing/shoveling snow. This Saturday is my first ever salmon saltwater charter. So Kokanee will have to wait a couple more weeks. Kawkawa will be open for Kokanee by then. Maybe I'll head that way instead.
I'm going to give bottom fishing, float fishing and trolling a try. Appreciate all the tips from everyone. When/if I am successful, I'll post some pictures.
Ekul246

Here's some pro tips.

Lose the snubbers, they are not your friend.
Tie your rigs with a stinger hook 1.5" back of the main hook, this works better than any snubber ever will.
Kokanee are scrappy and they almost always dig the stinger into the gill plate.
Since losing the snubbers and running stingers my landing rate has increased about 300%

Gang trolls and wedding bands do not produce as well as Dodgers and hoochies.
Dog tail Dodgers are the number one producing Kokanee dodger consistently, I've got about 80 Dodgers and I only fish two now, UV moon jelly Dogtails, they always produce more fish no matter what lake or time of year.
If you can find some Mack's wiggle bills for your hoochies get them, they make a big difference.
Smaller is always better with hoochies and pink UV is your friend.
Corn is #1, it doesn't have to be shoepeg, peaches and cream works just fine.
Home brew corn is better than Pautzkes, check out Ben Fougere videos on YouTube for some recipes.
With home brew corn I find it produces better but more importantly it's not mushy and stays on the hook better.
Change bait every 15 minutes, fresh is good.
Don't be afraid to troll fast and if you get on the fish stay on them, I troll circles over a school and get limits fast more often than not.

Good luck.

REMINGTON JIM
02-19-2019, 11:02 PM
Texas Walker ! Whats your Fav KOKANEE lake to fish ? :-) RJ

.264winmag
02-20-2019, 02:19 PM
What’s a good ballpark length of leader for a squirt behind the dog tail?

Ben Fougere
02-20-2019, 11:26 PM
TexasWalker, thanks for the mention.

Kokabow tackle dodgers and Mack's Sling Blade dodgers are good as well. The Kokabow dodgers have a good profile and kick. The Mack's are bendable and you can change the action to what works from day to day. I like to have a few different types of dodgers, because some days a different profile and action attract more kokanee than the day before.

Ben Fougere
02-20-2019, 11:28 PM
What’s a good ballpark length of leader for a squirt behind the dog tail?

It depends on the time of the year and "type" of squirt you are using. Typically, longer leaders in the spring or for lures with their own action and shorter leaders in June, July and August.

TexasWalker
02-20-2019, 11:45 PM
Texas Walker ! Whats your Fav KOKANEE lake to fish ? :-) RJ

Stump lake.
I run a sail on a broomstick mast and she trolls just perfect.

.264winmag
02-21-2019, 06:48 AM
It depends on the time of the year and "type" of squirt you are using. Typically, longer leaders in the spring or for lures with their own action and shorter leaders in June, July and August.

So around 16-20” with the mini hootchies? That’s what I use behind the hot spot mini rotating flashers, works really well at times but looking for a good change up. Dodgers in my experience require a much shorter leader to give a lifeless hootchie action, all else being equal speed included...

TexasWalker
02-21-2019, 09:14 PM
So around 16-20” with the mini hootchies? That’s what I use behind the hot spot mini rotating flashers, works really well at times but looking for a good change up. Dodgers in my experience require a much shorter leader to give a lifeless hootchie action, all else being equal speed included...

I run 10-12" year round.
Get yourself a couple Dogtails, you won't regret it.
They're cheap too.

.264winmag
02-22-2019, 06:13 PM
I run 10-12" year round.
Get yourself a couple Dogtails, you won't regret it.
They're cheap too.

Ah ya pretty short, makes sense thanks!

ekul246
03-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Planning to head out to Kawkawa tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Edit: As usual, life happens. Maybe I'll make it out next Saturday

ekul246
03-03-2019, 01:04 AM
One of the guys at Fred's Custom Tackle in Abbotsford today said he thinks Kawkawa might still be frozen. Hadn't occurred to me that it would freeze at all.
Any idea if it is?

REMINGTON JIM
03-03-2019, 01:37 AM
Good Info Texas Ranger and others ! :wink: Thanks ! RJ

TexasWalker
03-03-2019, 11:30 AM
Good Info Texas Ranger and others ! :wink: Thanks ! RJ

Shoot me a PM if you want to get out on the water this spring, I don't mind teaching an old dog some new tricks :-)

REMINGTON JIM
03-03-2019, 05:52 PM
You BET - I WILL for Sure ! ;-) I have Never Fished STUMP lake but see a Bunch fishing there all the time while driving by as i go up to Peter Hope !
I see Brian Chan fishes it a Bunch ! RJ

ekul246
03-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know if Kawkawa Lake in Hope is frozen?

Edit: Found out from Hope Outdoors that it is indeed frozen

ekul246
03-08-2019, 07:09 PM
A question about baiting with krill.

Should I put the krill on hooks whole or should I cut them into pieces?
Going to give Alouette Lake a try tomorrow.

Edit: Scratched that. Nature girl informed me that the road in might be closed still. Checked the notices on the park website. Closed as of February 11th and February 13th notice said indefinitely closed until all the snow melts and the trees are cleared. That was the last notice........winter keeps defeating my first attempts at Kokanee........

ekul246
03-31-2019, 07:42 AM
Finally made it out! Took my sister it for her birthday to Alouette Lake. Her very first time fishing and it was her 20th birthday.
On the water at 9:15am. Caught my first Kokanee ever at 10:15am!
Hooked it on the rainbow coloured dodger with a flash sticker and the cha cha hoochie with Kokanee fire corn.
The other rod had a 50/50 silver and brass dodger with a pink and white spinner I bought for pinks a few years ago and krill. Had a few bites on that one in the same general area as the hook up. That was it. Battery was getting low around 2:00 with fighting the wind (or I was just paranoid about getting stuck out there with a dead battery). I thought the wind blew south in the afternoon but it was blowing north.
Packed up and left by 3 and headed over to Whonnock where we caught my sister her first fish and trout.

I was running I think about a quarter ounce sliding weight a couple feet above my dodger and 100 pulls off the line when I hooked the Kokanee. Round about the same or less with the bites on the other rod. Added more weight to get deeper, didn't get any more bites. Passed another fisherman, amongst the MANY that were out, and he said it's pretty early in the season still.
Being my very first time I didn't know if that one Kokanee was just a fluke or what. But I'm pretty happy I didn't get skunked. Catching one allowed me to learn something!

nature girl
03-31-2019, 07:12 PM
Hey ekul246 you caught yourself a kokanee way to go. Now I bet your hooked. Nice you had your sis along to.

Buck
04-01-2019, 07:42 AM
I heard the boat launch was closed in Allouette cause of low water how did you launch ?

ekul246
04-01-2019, 10:07 PM
I heard the boat launch was closed in Allouette cause of low water how did you launch ?

From the launch. It's not closed. But larger boat owners were not launching. Only small craft. I backed mine down and then we carried it to the water.
The lake is very very low. Never seen it like that

ekul246
04-05-2019, 08:10 AM
I cooked up that Kokanee Monday after work......Holy crap it was good! Gave my kids all a bite and they were begging for more. Put cuts down the sides, skin on, and pan fried it with some salt and pepper. Delicious! Way better than any trout I've had. Smoked it would be fantastic too! I've read that it is good but it still surprised me.

Ben Fougere
04-07-2019, 09:18 AM
I cooked up that Kokanee Monday after work......Holy crap it was good! Gave my kids all a bite and they were begging for more. Put cuts down the sides, skin on, and pan fried it with some salt and pepper. Delicious! Way better than any trout I've had. Smoked it would be fantastic too! I've read that it is good but it still surprised me.

Glad to hear you caught your first kokanee. My boys can eat a full kokanee to themselves, especially when it's smoked kokanee. Who doesn't love smoked landlocked sockeye? :razz:

ekul246
04-08-2019, 10:36 AM
So I finally made it out to Kawkawa Lake last Saturday. Trolled the hoochie behind the rainbow dodger with corn and the silver/brass dodger with a red wedding band and krill. No bites. Saw many boats come and go through the day. Some hooking coho but mostly getting nothing.
Fish were rising and jumping right from 7:30am to noon. Around 10am I decided to try krill under a float. Have never enjoyed doing float fishing as it's been unproductive in the past and I'm impatient. Sitting and watching gets boring real quick. Well, I decided to give it a good solid try. Few minutes in, anchored in the middle of the lake where there were rises everywhere, bobber goes under! Lost it at the boat. Lots of bites and a few hookups all lost at boat except one. It was a real good sized coho. But I forgot to take a picture. Then it died for over an hour. So I trolled to the east end of the lake.
Wind and rain came up, so i retreated to the southeast corner of the lake to try float fishing. Was about to pack it up, but then the rain and wind stopped and the fish started jumping. So I started float fishing again, krill down about 6 ft and they were biting like crazy. Used up almost all my krill! Landed about 6 after switching to a smaller hook. All of them were coho. Maybe a couple were Kokanee but I lost them too far from the boat to tell. Playing them on my new ultralight 6'6" spinning rod was a freaking blast.
One other boat, while I was float fishing, managed to catch a Kokanee on his downrigger apparently it wasn't deep. He was dropping the ball when it bit.

Hoping to get out to Kawkawa again in a week or two. Hopefully catch some Kokanee but hey, those little cohos were a blast.

The only info I could find about these coho was on Fishing with Rod's website. Says there is non-retention of these coho in Kawkawa. Since I couldn't find any other info I released all of them. Anyone know about this?

Also, how are pictures getting put up these days?

Ekul246

ekul246
04-10-2019, 08:22 AM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/67661/scotty-portable-lake-troller
Also, does anyone have experience with these? My only concern is that the gunwale on my Tracker 1246 is rounded and not square. It affects my cheap rod holders, which want to rotate the the outside of the boat when not super duper tight, and I don't want that to happen if I get one of these

Ben Fougere
04-10-2019, 01:03 PM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/67661/scotty-portable-lake-troller
Also, does anyone have experience with these? My only concern is that the gunwale on my Tracker 1246 is rounded and not square. It affects my cheap rod holders, which want to rotate the the outside of the boat when not super duper tight, and I don't want that to happen if I get one of these

ekul246, I started kokanee fishing with these Scotty portable downriggers. I had 2 of these until we upgraded and I loved them because they got me into downrigger fishing for kokanee. I used a 3lb ball and had this exact clamp on model. If you're in our Facebook Group, Kokanee Fishing BC, or YouTube channel, Fougere Family Adventures, you can see them in action in many videos and story posts with photos.

The downside to them was I had to crank down the downrigger to depth (but not a huge deal). It got tiring when reeling down and up with two manual downriggers some days. They also loosened a few times on me, but again not a huge deal as usually a second tightening kept them tight the rest of the day.

I highly recommend these as a cheap way to get into downrigger fishing for kokanee.

***NOTE*** check out Scotty rod holders. I have a few different versions and love them. The spinning/baitcasting rodholder is very versatile. I also use the Scotty fly rod holders when fly fishing. This year, I'm trying the Scotty rocket launcher rod holders. Combine one of these rod holders with the Scotty Oar Lock mount and your fishing trips will be more enjoyable.

Here's what the oar lock mounts look like:

http://scotty.com/product/no-248-oarlock-mount/

ekul246
04-18-2019, 07:56 PM
ekul246, I started kokanee fishing with these Scotty portable downriggers. I had 2 of these until we upgraded and I loved them because they got me into downrigger fishing for kokanee. I used a 3lb ball and had this exact clamp on model. If you're in our Facebook Group, Kokanee Fishing BC, or YouTube channel, Fougere Family Adventures, you can see them in action in many videos and story posts with photos.

The downside to them was I had to crank down the downrigger to depth (but not a huge deal). It got tiring when reeling down and up with two manual downriggers some days. They also loosened a few times on me, but again not a huge deal as usually a second tightening kept them tight the rest of the day.

I highly recommend these as a cheap way to get into downrigger fishing for kokanee.

***NOTE*** check out Scotty rod holders. I have a few different versions and love them. The spinning/baitcasting rodholder is very versatile. I also use the Scotty fly rod holders when fly fishing. This year, I'm trying the Scotty rocket launcher rod holders. Combine one of these rod holders with the Scotty Oar Lock mount and your fishing trips will be more enjoyable.

Here's what the oar lock mounts look like:

http://scotty.com/product/no-248-oarlock-mount/
Thanks for the info Ben.

ekul246
04-18-2019, 07:58 PM
How is the fishing at Alouette Lake?

Anyone been to Kawkawa?

At what point do the kokanee go deeper and a downrigger is absolutely necessary? I want to get out often but just not able to. Don't want to miss the best part of the spring kokanee season.

ekul246
05-08-2019, 10:59 AM
How has the fishing been?

ekul246
06-01-2019, 08:41 PM
Headed out to Alouette today with my little brother. Hooked two little northern pike minnows on the hoochie. Then my brother hooked a big one on the wedding band with red blade and a flash sticker. Shortly after we had a Kokanee double header. Then the wind changed and was strong from the south. Makes navigating my tracker 1236 a little tough but managed to land a few more. Lost a couple as well. Landed 4 by me and 3 by my brother. The double header we hooked up seconds apart. Me on the rainbow dodger with Kokanee hoochie and Kokanee corn. Him on the gold and silver dodger and the wedding band tipped with krill. Dropped our baits from 100 pulls to 120 an hour later and that is where we had the rest of the hookups. I run I think it's a 1/4oz sliding weight about 18" above the dodger so as not to impede the action. It was a really good day and I feel more confident now. Hope to get my kids into some, probably on Kawkawa.
Alouette became a bit of a gong show in the afternoon. Boats all over the place. Big boats. And most don't seem to care that the are passing pretty close to small 12ft boats that are fishing. It was more than a little stressful. Waves coming at you from all directions while in a little Jon boat is not fun. Even got the finger from a couple of them for looking on their direction as they ripped by.
Overall a great day. Glad I decided last night too head out there today.

ekul246
08-27-2019, 01:36 PM
Anyone been fishing kawkawa lately? Wanting to go give it a try.
Is Alouette still to busy with boaters?

Ekul246