PDA

View Full Version : To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spike

Mosin
01-09-2019, 09:47 PM
How many of you would shoot a spike? I know I would take it. What your reasoning if you wouldn't? Not enough meat? Waiting for a "big one"?

pnbrock
01-09-2019, 09:57 PM
not for me .dont think its worth taking the life for 30lbs of meat let it grow for a few years

Weatherby Fan
01-09-2019, 09:57 PM
Aside from they would great eating ! Yeh in regards to MD I’m always looking for something bigger than what RemingtonJim has on his wall or I’m not shooting it !

Ajsawden
01-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Fingers crossed this conversation is more civil about this subject than facebook...
I would typically not take a spike. I'm not opposed to it, but I do enjoy hunting and am always willing to put more time in. Sometimes you run out of time. I did shoot a spike this year and he's delicious. No regrets.

mpotzold
01-09-2019, 10:06 PM
I would have no problems with shooting one. The younger the animal the better & more tender the taste in general. (In a group of deer given the option I'll take the one with the smallest antlers.)

Although I would never shoot a calf moose. It could easily be a female.

tinhorse
01-09-2019, 10:07 PM
Im Eating spike roast tomorrow. Amazing eats. I will take a smaller buck or spike after getting more meat in the freezer first. Some years it is only does and spikes to fill the freezer. This year it was a moose, spike buck and doe.

Wild one
01-09-2019, 10:16 PM
It all depends if I have no plan on targeting that species of deer but carrying at tag yes I would. If I plan on investing a good amount of time targeting that species then odds are I would pass

All depends on my plans for the season

russm
01-09-2019, 10:24 PM
Yup, I wouldn’t turn down a nice big buck but at the same time you can’t eat antlers, a spike is just as edible(if not more) than a big stinky 4 point.

Seth
01-09-2019, 10:37 PM
You can’t shoot the big ones if you shoot the small ones. That being said, I have no problem with guys or gals taking anything legal whether it be spikes, does or “anterless”. Meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer and as mentioned the young ones do taste better.

mpotzold
01-09-2019, 10:41 PM
I thought you're referring to Spike moose.
Spike deer meat is very tender and tasty so would be my choice.

Here's the rare sighting (from DANA)
http://i.imgur.com/VGyFIwZ.jpg

Ohwildwon
01-09-2019, 10:54 PM
Unless you KNOW your going to have a choice in the future, the first choice is ALWAYS the best choice..

Getting your scope, on a harvest-able animal, is hard enough as it is, the majority of the time..:neutral:

IslandWanderer
01-09-2019, 10:59 PM
I dropped a doe and two button bucks this year on QCI. I'd definitely take a spike.

caddisguy
01-09-2019, 11:37 PM
My take is that antler configuration does not mean much. It doesn't always correlate to body mass or maturity. I have seen at least one spike, a few forks and lots of 3x*'s way bigger than a lot of 4x4's and 5x5's. Body mass and big bases tell more than points. Point restrictions are just an easy way to manage hunters and I suspect it is actually counter intuitive for genetics, especially for guys that want to see more bucks with bigger racks. I hear the argument "let that 2 point grow to be a 4 point" ... I think a lot of guys don't realize that 2 point is fully mature and will never be anything but a 2 point. He's not getting any more points ever, and he's going to spread those small rack genetics and compete for winter feed.

Now the debate over shooting a tiny immature deer. Different story. Is it that last day of the season? If it feels right and it's legal, can't argue with that! :)

.264winmag
01-10-2019, 03:16 AM
Rather a spike than a doe, both delicious but I leave both for the youngsters I like to get into the game these days.

chris
01-10-2019, 06:29 AM
Not anymore. I have in the past but I need to see just the right deer to punch my tag. You don't shoot big bucks if you shoot the first spike you see. I don't look at it as a conservation issue either. I'm most likely going to shoot a deer or two per season, I would rather have a rack for the wall and a pile of meat. This year I brought a new hunter out and he shot a spike mule in the first hour of opening day. I got to keep hunting by being selective, while his season was quite literally 1 hour long.

plumberjustin
01-10-2019, 06:31 AM
In the past I wouldn’t turn down any legal animals, but now with the reduced bag limits for deer, I’d only take the spiker in region 2, and hold out for bigger deer in other regions.

Wentrot
01-10-2019, 07:11 AM
My first animal when I started hunting was a spike. Didn’t need to give it a single thought. I wouldn’t take another though, the yield just isn’t enough.

RackStar
01-10-2019, 08:06 AM
Mule deer not a chance.
White tail, near the end of season it’s a no brainer for me. I got about 40lbs of meat off my little spike wt this year. That’s a decent amount of meals for me.

Spike moose? I’d take a spike over a big bull any day

steel_ram
01-10-2019, 08:28 AM
I like to think I'm leaving the easy spikes so some new hunter can get their first deer. Very little challenge to them. Not much meat.

Ron.C
01-10-2019, 08:36 AM
Yes, absolutely 100% I would shoot a spike deer. If I am after putting some meat in the freezer and I'm deer hunting, spikes fit the bill nicely.

jac
01-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Never have and never will.

hunter1947
01-10-2019, 08:48 AM
My answer is you cancel a tag on a small deer and your not going to get much meat off the deer I would rather let it grow up somewhat cancel my tag on a bigger deer for more meat all
depends on how desperate you are for a deer..

Fella
01-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Bigger animal = more meat. But if it’s the last day I’m able to hunt and a decently sized spike presents itself I would probably shoot it.

rocksteady
01-10-2019, 09:15 AM
I would rather have 80m lbs of good eating, rather than 140 lbs of rutted game..

I shoot spikes, they are delicious...

I do it for you guys.. If I shoot a spike, that leaves a big antlered buck still alive for someone else to harvest..

albravo2
01-10-2019, 09:29 AM
I prefer the meat, even if there is less of it.

That said, I've never shot a wallhanger so if a monster buck and a spike were feeding side by side I'd probably go for the stinky old bugger.

geo guy
01-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Im a meat hunter, I shoot the first legal animal I see generally. I typically only get a few days to go out during the season so I dont get a lot of opportunities to shoot something.

todbartell
01-10-2019, 09:47 AM
meat is good

mpotzold
01-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Back in the old days remember stopping at Cache Creek game checking station with 2 spike mule deer. They were so small that the officer called them fawns!:wink:
As usual the meat was something to die for!:smile:

BCJaeger
01-10-2019, 11:42 AM
I strongly believe if you take small bucks you won't get big bucks. My goals when hunting are to challenge myself in order to improve my skills as well as get some meat. So on the last day of hunting season at last hour then I would take a spike buck otherwise I would pass on. Sometimes this is hard to do but I did never regret so far.
Perfect example was last year. I saw a spike buck with a doe. This little guy was more concerned about his girlfriend than about me. I could have shot him 1000 times. Instead I watched him to see where he is heading to in order to learn about the trails they use. 200m from him I bumped into a 4 point I shot.
Meat quality related to buck age is not a concern for me. I have yet to see a difference once the meat is processed into sausages, burgers or canned meat. I believe instead meat care matters (getting the meat cooled and cleaned asap).
We all have different priorities/goals so I don't mind if others shoot spike bucks. I'm always happy about hunter success. It keeps our passion up.

whognu
01-10-2019, 11:49 AM
the luckiest deer in the forest is the spiker i see on day one of a 5 day hunt

the unluckiest deer in the forest is the same deer on day 5.............

twoSevenO
01-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Nope. No does, cows or calves for me either. There is no challenge in it when shooting spikers and I dont do it for the meat alone so I pass.

moosinaround
01-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Deer is sausage in our house, so first legal one gets er!!!!spike, four point, don’t matter, legal!! Moosin

New Bow Hunter
01-10-2019, 12:46 PM
What is the saying,"Don't pass up on the first day, you wouldn't shoot on the last day".
So, you would rather have tag soup than shoot a spiker?
Are we talking deer, elk or Spike fork moose?

steel_ram
01-10-2019, 01:16 PM
What is the saying,"Don't pass up on the first day, you wouldn't shoot on the last day".
So, you would rather have tag soup than shoot a spiker?
Are we talking deer, elk or Spike fork moose?

As for deer, I'd rather pass up a spike and end up with "tag soup" at the end of the season. I don't see the cost of a tag significant compared to the price of trucks, fuel, ATV's etc. If it was about meat and value, it would be way cheaper to purchase some quality meat from a organic butcher.
I'd much rather let a buck grow and gain a few pounds and leave the babies for those that can't get anything else.

twoSevenO
01-10-2019, 01:34 PM
As for deer, I'd rather pass up a spike and end up with "tag soup" at the end of the season. I don't see the cost of a tag significant compared to the price of trucks, fuel, ATV's etc. If it was about meat and value, it would be way cheaper to purchase some quality meat from a organic butcher.
I'd much rather let a buck grow and gain a few pounds and leave the babies for those that can't get anything else.

X2 .... guy travels from the island, books a cabin at Tunkwa for a week, burns 3 tanks of gas .... "cheap meat" lol

warnniklz
01-10-2019, 01:37 PM
https://scontent.fyvr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48386981_10161398962365387_7199089534330470400_n.j pg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr1-1.fna&oh=f5c8f516a9b671934d1012b742094e07&oe=5CD8BF7D

Turn down spikes... I have proof of that.

I'm not against people shooting spikes. Helped my buddy get his first ever dinky 2 point and he's loving it. I just hate the "humble" reasons people give for shooting a spike. The classic "can't eat antlers" or "young ones are better than the old stinky ones" I've only ever ate one deer that had an off taste. I still ate it, I just wouldn't serve it to anyone trying wild meat for the first time.

m5wilson
01-10-2019, 01:41 PM
I am not against shooting a spike but it's never really what I am after. For the same reasons as many others have mentioned, more meat and more chances to hunt. I would hate to end my season early and unless I was right out of meat I would rather not fill my tag than potentially have a short season.

ramcam
01-10-2019, 01:41 PM
I hundred percent agree with you twoSevenO, its about hunting not killing for me.
Nope. No does, cows or calves for me either. There is no challenge in it when shooting spikers and I dont do it for the meat alone so I pass.

walks with deer
01-10-2019, 01:49 PM
they are easyier on the back...
devil buck killer.

Petros65
01-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Ive heard it said , dont pass up on day one what you would gladly take on the last day. Tag soup is never as tasty as spike deer lol.

jac
01-10-2019, 03:03 PM
I hundred percent agree with you twoSevenO, its about hunting not killing for me.

I’m in the same boat as you guys. If I was worried about meat I could buy a lot of meat for the money I spend on hunting. nothing against meat hunting it’s a personal choice for me.

01-10-2019, 04:30 PM
I find myself passing more and more smaller deer.... I don't mind people shooting them, I wont argue a bit. But for me,, like 270 posted im not just in it for the meat.... and I am picking up a pig I bought this weekend and butchering that! lol...

REMINGTON JIM
01-10-2019, 04:56 PM
ABSOLUTELY shoot a Spiker if your meat hunting ! Why not ? Its a MYTH that some say spikers stay spikers for Ever ! A buck is a Buck if your a Meat hunter ! :smile: jmo RJ

Fella
01-10-2019, 04:58 PM
I find myself passing more and more smaller deer.... I don't mind people shooting them, I wont argue a bit. But for me,, like 270 posted im not just in it for the meat.... and I am picking up a pig I bought this weekend and butchering that! lol...

Are you brewing a pork flavoured lager this time?

dana
01-10-2019, 05:14 PM
I have killed numerous spikes over the years. Especially while hunting in a different region than my home region. Bringing home meat is usually the goal on those hunts. Typically save a tag for my home region where I will focus on mature deer. I hunt very economically and meat is just as much a big part of why I hunt as is the chase.

horshur
01-10-2019, 05:24 PM
I think I’ve only ever shot one spike..whitetail. But I’ve shot lots of forkhorned mule deer. The very best meat buck is a mature mule deer in September early October. So that is my preference. 190lbs or so dressed.

barry1974w
01-10-2019, 07:55 PM
I shot a bunch of little dink bucks when I was younger. Now I find it seems to depend on the contents on my freezer. If I’ve got a moose or an elk in the freezer I pass up little bucks, but if the freezer is empty...... This year I had an antlerless mule deer draw, we already had a moose in the freezer, and I’d shot a whitetail that I gave to my buddy, but another buddy wanted some meat, so a few days before the end of season I shot a doe and gave it to him. If it’s legal, shoot what you want.
oh, and I’ve never gotten a genuinely big buck, some not bad, but never one I’ve wanted to have a shoulder mount done of

blackbart
01-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Have shot more than one and likely will again. I much prefer those that shoot spikes over two year old basket four points.........

pieter
01-10-2019, 08:43 PM
No spikes or does for me and those that want to fill your boots if it's legal myself I go hunting for the outing and if gonna shoot some thing it"s gotta be worth while

john-brennan
01-10-2019, 08:49 PM
I don't shoot spikes but when I was young I had, I have set goals for myself of more mature deer these days. Taking mature animals excites me more than spikes.

Rackmastr
01-10-2019, 08:59 PM
This is a funny post.

Some guys will look down their nose at someone shooting a spike but then shoot a 2x2 or 3x3 that's the exact same age.

I cannot beleive the amount of energy that goes into "debating" if hunters should shoot certain things like this.

walks with deer
01-10-2019, 09:09 PM
first deer down this year was spike whitetail on the way home from meeting in dress close driving my wifes bmw...2nd deer large alpine 3x3 muley after work...
third deer wife shot before i was out of bed one sunday morning.
fourth deer i shot 6x6 whitetail one lucky sunday evening...
between that and a generous basket of elk from a freind..20plus salmon home grown turkeys and chickens life is good...
i smoked the spikes whole rear legs.. ready for a party.

walks with deer
01-10-2019, 09:10 PM
the wifes was a wall hanging 1x2...
but her first solo...

walks with deer
01-11-2019, 12:20 AM
shooting a spike in gos is fine legal and tasty.
hunting in restricted zones with restricted tools at restricted times is greasy. and should be way more frowned on.congrats to all legal spike harvest this year.

Piperdown
01-11-2019, 07:20 AM
This is a funny post.

Some guys will look down their nose at someone shooting a spike but then shoot a 2x2 or 3x3 that's the exact same age.

I cannot beleive the amount of energy that goes into "debating" if hunters should shoot certain things like this.

Bingo and we have a winner, if its legal, then shot what you want.

HarryToolips
01-11-2019, 07:39 AM
My answer....yes....if I haven't put anything in the freezer yet, absolutely......and I get more than 30 lbs of meat off one anyway...and they taste awesome..

http://i.imgur.com/GbqQcm0.jpg (https://imgur.com/GbqQcm0)

RackStar
01-11-2019, 07:43 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Bl627VM.jpg

Over 40 pounds off this one, good point rack master made, the actually difference on a spike or a young 2-3 pt deer is barley anything to notice if comparing how much meat you get from one to another

m5wilson
01-11-2019, 07:49 AM
This is a funny post.

I actually felt the opposite.

I was surprised by the cohesiveness for once on a hunting choice. Sure there are many saying they wouldn't or don't shoot spikes but there are very few, if any condemning others who would shoot a spike.

I agree that if it's legal it's good but it's also ok to not shoot if that's what you prefer and sometimes it's helpful to hear others reasons why they do or do not.

hawk-i
01-11-2019, 08:35 AM
If you're looking for meat, a spike deer is the best choice...you're not going to get better table fare than that!

PS...don't handicap your hunting ability by putting to heavy a scope on your hunting rig....:)...LOL

limit time
01-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Interesting..... no post from pemby or jass ....

(yes I do)

pin_head
01-11-2019, 08:55 AM
My first deer was a spike blacktail that I was perfectly pleased with. My hunting partner and I vowed we wouldn’t shoot any more spikes more or less just on the basis of the challenge/let em grow idea.

After a big bowl of tag soup last year and a lot of unrewarded effort this year I had a moment of weakness. I jumped a spike out of his bed at about twenty yards and never thought twice about pulling the trigger.

I feel a little guilty now and have renewed the vow to not shoot spikes. We’ll see how I do.

Brad

hawk-i
01-11-2019, 08:59 AM

(yes I do)

And a breath of fresh air!! :) :)

grousetrap
01-11-2019, 09:16 AM
As a new hunter, definitely. Everything is a learning experience so if I see something I can shoot I'm all for it. That being said, two animals side by side, one a 4x4 and one a spike but everything else equal, I'll shoot the 4x4. I'm a firm believer of the "don't pass up something on the first day you'll be happy with on the last day" I bring my fishing rod if that ever were the case, usually its a couple weeks of nothing and that's my season.

An interesting study summary I glanced over, apparently done in Texas on whitetail deer. Summaries of the study were:
1. Antler development is genetically based, however actual antler growth is based off of nutrition deer receives. So I assume it's kind of like the size of the bucket is genetics but the amount of food is the water you put in it. If you only have a 1 gallon bucket you can't put 2 gallons of water in it.
2. Antler development improves with age - up to a point.
3. By removing poor genetic deer you improve the overall genetics of the herd (or leaving the good bucks around improves genetics), and the best time to do this is during nutritional stress since poor genetics are more prevalent.
4. Genetic potential (total # of points at 4.5 years) of the deer could be approximated by the total # of points they had at 1.5 years of age. More points at 1.5 years means more points at 4.5 years AND 2-5 total points at 1.5 years never had more than 8 total points at 4.5 years.

As mentioned earlier, it's really cool to see a general consensus for the most part on this topic.

barry1974w
01-11-2019, 11:35 AM
I’ve always considered a yearling to a spiker regardless of number of points. I just call em dinks. If there’s two yearlings standing side by side, one has spikes and the other is a little 3x3 or 4x4, you’re probably better off shooting the spike as far as the let em grow theory goes.

TreeStandMan
01-11-2019, 12:07 PM
We should only shoot spikes because if you shoot anything bigger, you're trophy hunting, and as we all know, trophy hunting is evil. It sez so in the Vancouver Sun.

IronNoggin
01-11-2019, 12:18 PM
I have - many times in my past.
They are great grits.

These days, i will pass any spike Blacktail, and the vast majority of two points (unless it is an older mature deuce).
Simply gotten greedy on my TIME out there more than anything else, and find it would be far to easy to end the season too soon by taking an "easy one".

Mulies - don't even know if you can in BC? https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Maybe.jpg
Certainly never would in Alberta...

Whitetails with the bow?
Damn Right!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif
First one I get within range of has a rather serious problem.
These are my Lady's Very Favorite, and of course I drag them home for her as often as I can... https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/wink.gif

Cheers,
Nog

wideopenthrottle
01-11-2019, 12:24 PM
when I had a choice between 2 WT bucks at about 75 feet, I took the smaller one for two reasons, 1) I was solo and 2) it presented a better shot....50 lbs of meat completely deboned and wrapped for freezer...maybe 10 lbs of dog trimmings too

BRvalley
01-11-2019, 01:11 PM
got no problem shooting a spiker, they get passes early season but become shooters during last week of season...typically i have passed them many times and spent a lot of time watching them in my stands/blind, so I have figured out which one has the biggest body, all about that extra 5 lbs of meat lol

Piperdown
01-11-2019, 01:17 PM

(yes I do)

They are too busy getting paid to sit in on some pipeline protests, so enjoy the peace and quite :)

Ubertuber
01-11-2019, 02:04 PM
The quality of table fare is more important that the amount of meat for me, so yeah, I'll take a spike. If I have a lot of time to hunt, I will pass and hopefully find a more mature buck, but if it is near the last day all bets are off.

ratherbeshooting
01-11-2019, 02:17 PM
I hunt almost exclusively on Vancouver Island and have eaten my fair share of tag soup the last few years. FOR ME, the only time I will shoot a spiker now (and trust me, I've harvested them in the past) is if I am walking with the bow. Otherwise, I'd like to think I gave him a chance to grow a little.

emerson
01-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Its legal its down. When filling tags gets easy for me, Ill pass more.

180grainer
01-11-2019, 09:53 PM
not for me .dont think its worth taking the life for 30lbs of meat let it grow for a few years
I think a lot of chickens would agree with you. :)

Squamch
01-11-2019, 11:08 PM
I hunt almost exclusively on Vancouver Island and have eaten my fair share of tag soup the last few years. FOR ME, the only time I will shoot a spiker now (and trust me, I've harvested them in the past) is if I am walking with the bow. Otherwise, I'd like to think I gave him a chance to grow a little.

This is where I'm at. I'll happily set up a new hunter to shoot a spike though. In regards to taste, the best tasting deer I've shot was also the biggest and oldest. My rule now is that it has to have forked antlers. Personal preference.

steel_ram
01-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Fork or better for me. I shot a spike or two when I first started out. Can't say the meat was better or worse. Handling of the meat and time of season seems to make more of a difference. Leave the easy ones for the newbies or for people that can't "hunt".

Takla
01-12-2019, 11:22 AM
I take any game thats legal and ive bought a tag for,with the price of meat these days 40 lbs of hamberger/cuts is better then going home with nothing.I hunted hard this yr for mulies,10 days out all day long and finally connected with a tall 2-point with 3 hrs of the season left last day,no way id of passed him up even if he was a spiker.

takla

Salty
01-12-2019, 09:44 PM
My first two deer were bt spikes. Well one a crab claw actually but both young'uns. And never say never for the future but I've preferred to keep looking for something bigger for quite a few years now. I've been armed and let quite a few spikers go through the seasons and ended up looked at a freezer full of fish and nothing else a few years and questioned my judgement on that one ;) I don't put too much thought in to it just do what feels right that day.

MOWITCH SLAYER
01-13-2019, 10:11 AM
For years i have held out for bucks that were at least four points. Being careful to processes the meat properly, i've always had good meat. My porch has nice antlers on the wall and two of my best are mounted in my front room.Now im getting older (retired) and the mountains are steeper and the cold hurts more . lol . This year i decided to take the first legal buck i saw . It was a spike by two mulie. Boned out and off to get sausage made i got 46 lbs of meat.Very small to previous deer ive taken. but some of the best dinner sausage ive ever eaten . I think next year ill try for some more of that good sausage