PDA

View Full Version : Deer down, now what?

FlyingHigh
09-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Okay, so, here's a major rookie question. :eek: I'm gonna be hunting mule deer over the thanksgiving weekend. I drive up thursday night and come back monday morning. It will be my second season hunting, and hopefully I'll actually be able to bag something this year. Anyways, so I've shot my deer, now what? I know i obviously have to get all the gutys and such out, but after that, what do i do? Do I have to skin it? Quarter it? Let's say I shoot my deer on friday or saturday. I still have 2 days or so in camp before I can get it to a butcher/gamecutter. What to do with it? Can I quarter it and stuff it in the coolers? Should I see if the camp has a freezer I can borrow/rent? Should I bag it and leave it in the lake, tied to shore? What's the best way to get it home?

Lastly, where do i take it when I get home? I'll be hunting near Loon Lake in Cache Creek and I live in Abbotsford. Any good gamecutters/butchers in Abbotsford? I'd want a roast or two, ground meat, sausage, pepperoni sticks and a bit of jerky. Any idea how much this would cost?

Thanks.

BCBear
09-13-2007, 05:51 PM
You should probably invite someone to hunt with you who has experience dealing with your questions. Learn while you watch type of thing

Ubertuber
09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
First thing you do after dropping a deer is cut your tag.;)

bruin
09-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Well I'm not sure what the temperature is around Cache Creek this weekend but if it's just a day or two and it stays fairly cool at night you could skin it and hang it in a place that will get shade all day. If it gets too warm quarter it, put it in a sealed bag in the lake or river to stay cool. But make sure that you hang it to air for the cooler parts of the day and the night.
To get it home, buy ice and throw it in the body cavity or if it's quartered throw it in a tarp and add ice bags.
See the yellow pages for butchers.

elkdom
09-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I would like to help you but it will take me longer to type this reply than it would to gut and skin your deer , Im really bad at typing , so best advice I can give is hook up with somone who is willing to show you proper guting and skinning tecs, and what ever you do dont put your game meat in the creek or lake, baever fever etc. it also will make it hard to chew! good luck !

FlyingHigh
09-13-2007, 06:01 PM
You should probably invite someone to hunt with you who has experience dealing with your questions. Learn while you watch type of thingI would, if I had knew someone like that. I don't go into the bush with people I don't trust, for obvious reasons. However, I don't know/trust anyone who hunts. I'm the first member in my family to take up hunting. I've learned everything so far by reading, doing, and listening to other people talk. Basically, if I don't find a step by step type of guide to gutting and skinning, I'll do the damn thing like a fish, of which I've gutted countless. Zip open the belly, pull the crap out. :)

First thing you do after dropping a deer is cut your tagGot that one! Not a problem there. :D

Tarp Man
09-13-2007, 06:12 PM
I would recommend Weymouth Meats in Matsqui. Larry has always helped Lapadat and I out, including dropping stuff off after hours. The meat has always come back clean. He is very helpful to newer people who don't go in there with a big attitude. Consider this a two thumbs up for him. Call him before you go away to ensure he has room in his cooler. Also you can get his card so you can call when you are on your way in with meat (hopefully). Also I would recommend a google search on "game skinning techniques". There are also videos out there that show how to skin and bone out your animals. I would recommend staying with just field dressing and skinning it for now. Leave the boning out until you have some first hand knowledge of the insides of an ungulate!

elkdom
09-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Maybe u could find a quality CD at sport shop on gutting / skinning meat storage in the outdoors, a local cooler, meat cutter is yur best bet to store and chill your game. but they wont accept it for storage if your game is dirty,or sour ,thats when its not cooled soon enough or long enoughand one more thing why you mistrust every one! is your name GEO BUSH ???

FlyingHigh
09-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the info Tarp Man. I'll check Weymouth Meats out for sure. I'll see if I can find a DVD or CD on techique. Never thought of that. :P

why you mistrust every one! is your name GEO BUSH ???

one too many bad experiences, which led to life threatening situations.

Gun Dog
09-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Hub Sports has a pile of hunting DVDs.
In a nutshell:
-- gut (open from rectum to throat, split pelvis, split breasbone, cut around rectum, cut high on esophagus, pull it all out)
-- remove scent glands (carefully)
-- return to camp
-- hang (back legs on a game pole) and skin (leave head and 1 nut)
-- cut out blood shot
-- clean with water
-- wrap in cheezecloth/gauze/game bag/cotton sheet

I go up to Loon Lake all the time and night time temps have been very similar to Langley all summer (around 10C at night these days). Or similar to Kamloops -- average temp in October is 13C days and 3C nights.

Being by yourself, having some rope and pulleys and some way to load/unload the deer is a good idea.

BCLongshot
09-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Ah hell you'll figure it out

Don't forget to brand it or you'll be in BIG TROUBLE

Will
09-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Here's a few I've found in my Favourites.......Read em...it's pretty basic and once you've done a couple critters you'll develop your own technique, enjoy ! :lol:
The Video will be very helpful...the guy is no pro but does a fairly decent job of it;)
www.youtube.com/?v=uqm1DA2nyvw (http://www.youtube.com/?v=uqm1DA2nyvw) Of course the Vids been "flagged" :roll: so you'll have to be a member to view it.

http://www.thejump.net/dress/fielddressing.htm

http://www.tnoutdoorsmen.com/fd.htm

http://www.american-hunter.com/field_dressing.htm

http://www.learn-taxidermy.com/field_dressing_deer.htm

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~j2cimala/Ten%20Easy%20Steps%20to%20Gutting%20a%20Deer.htm

elkdom
09-13-2007, 07:07 PM
YOU are GEO BUSH! That proves it! do you bowhunt , rifle or weapons of mass destruction ????

quadrakid
09-13-2007, 07:15 PM
most newbies are quite worried about gutting etc the first time, your attitude that if you have to you will rip the guts out like cleaning a fish is just great! watch a video, read a book ,even better to have someone with experience,but i,m quite sure you will get the job done one way or another. just try not to cut into stomach or bladder. good luck.

Steeleco
09-13-2007, 07:51 PM
If you can get the game back to camp in one piece, innards removed, it will be easier to skin it hanging on you meat pole. You'll have better control, and will be able to see what's working and what's not!

If you have the chance take someone with you, if only for the muscle!!!

Lionhill
09-13-2007, 08:23 PM
This one is good too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdaKBbmGnU

LH

dana
09-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Here's a link to the gutless method. The picture guide uses an elk as an example. A deer or moose or bear is done the same way
http://home.att.net/~sajackson/guttless1.html
This method is very handy for the solo do-it-yourselfer. Really easy to keep the meat nice and clean by laying the quarters on a tarp as you do it. Skinning is done before you even get back to camp. The quarters are easily managed to hang on a gamepole back at camp and you won't have to worry about hoisting the animal up with block and tackle or come-alongs. You can go one step furthur and debone the quarters, which makes for easy packing in a cooler. Deboning is rather simple. Just follow the line of the bone in the quarter, and cut along the grain of the meat. I like to pack a cooler full with ice packs, and then debone the meat layering the meat and the ice packs.
Regardless of what method you choose, the key is to keep your meat as clean as possible. Hair, leaves, needles, dirt, all will add unwanted flavour to your meat. If the meat does get dirty, just take the time and clean it with cloth and water.

FlyingHigh
09-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks to those who offered helpful info, tips and PMs. I forgot to add that my dad will probably be with me, so I'll have an extra set of hands.

On a side note, wtf is a GEO BUSH!?!? I don't think it really applies to this discussion, so take it elsewhere.

Mr. Dean
09-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Try to find this DVD: Deer Processing 101. I've seen it in several hunting shops around the LML.

It'll walk you through EVERYTHING!

elkdom
09-13-2007, 09:34 PM
George Bush ,PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES confused and misinformed,acts without proper planing, poor information , also accidently shot his friend and personal lawyer. where did you get your hunting licence,seems you are little short on world events and hunting lore . Good luck on your hunt ,

BCBear
09-13-2007, 09:48 PM
George Bush ,PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES confused and misinformed,acts without proper planing, poor information , also accidently shot his friend and personal lawyer. where did you get your hunting licence,seems you are little short on world events and hunting lore . Good luck on your hunt ,

I don't believe that George Bush shot his friend...that was Dick Cheney.

Will
09-13-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't believe that George Bush shot his friend...that was Dick Cheney.
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/new/owned.gif
:lol::lol::lol:

The Hermit
09-13-2007, 10:05 PM
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/ResourcesTips/FieldDress.htm

elkdom
09-13-2007, 10:09 PM
WILL.! politicians and lawers hunting together in the fog ,who shot who? all I know is it sounds like a win win situation.LOL

ROY-alty33
09-13-2007, 11:36 PM
If I may, if the temps will be anything like they are this week, find a guy who will cut and wrap it up there. Even more so if you happen to get one friday or early Sat. And skinning for the first time, being alone never having even seen it done before, DUDE just gut it and get to a game cutter up there. A two hour drive up to the creek is a lot better than a spoiled deer. You can always take it in once down here and get pepperoni and ground done.

Keep a 5 gallon jug of water near you to clean out the inside and around the wound as soon as possible. There will be $hi+ inside the cavity(cudd, etc...) and you may accidently pop somethin.

Just my $0.02

wildman 22
09-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Fh. I Know That Some Of The Resorts Up There Have Coolers,but I Don't Know If You Have To Stay At One Of The Resorts To Use Their Facilities Or If They Welcome Anyone.

MB_Boy
09-14-2007, 09:23 AM
It will be my second season hunting, and hopefully I'll actually be able to bag something this year. Anyways, so I've shot my deer, now what? .

Well....seeing as this is your FIRST deer there is a ritual.

Cut your tag.....and then remove the tail from the animal. Make sure you have a section of rope long enough to tie around your waist. Take the tail and attach it to the rope. Next....remove all your clothing and tie the rope around your waist so the tail acts as a loin cloth. Cover yourself in dirt and put plenty of sticks and leaves in your hair.

Next....take your gun and fire 3 quick shots in the air and start dancing around the deer. If no hunters show up at the 3 quick shots repeat this procedure until someone does. When they do.....and they quit laughing ask them for some pointers on how to gut and clean the deer. ;-)

If you happen to have a video camera with a tripod please record this so we can ensure you have done it correctly. I would hate for you to have to repeat this procedure.......I did and it's not pretty.:oops:

Seriously though....plenty of good advice given. Have a look at a DVD or some of the links provided and just take your time gutting. It is really not too difficult and just be careful around the "south" end of the deer with your knife so as to not cut the bladder at all. If you do rinse the area out as soon as you can. In temps that you "should" see in October hanging the meat in the shade should be fine. We are generally on a fly in moose trip for 10+ days and see similar temps and we have yet to have issues with meat spoiling. Some game bags will be a good idea as well.

Wildfoot
09-14-2007, 10:02 AM
make sure you keep your meat cool, and get the skin and guts out as soon as possible. Do your best to keep the meat clean! I find it works well to gut the animal, then skin off half and roll the meat onto a clean tarp (the material they wrap 2x4's in works great) then skin out the other side. this way the meat only touches the clean tarp.

Get a good set of game bags. I like the alaska game bags. the material is thick and has a tight weave that will help repel flys and dirt.

If you can, bring a cooler of block ice and either dig a pit and keep the meat in the pit with the ice, or bring or build a box big enough to hold the meat and the ice. I used styrofoam boards and built a styrofoam coffin of sorts. Worked well for keeping the meat cool. just make sure you drain off the water - you dont want your meat sitting in it.

The easiest (although noisey) is to get a deepfreeze and generator and bring that with you to camp.

- oh.. and i use zip ties on both ends of the digestive tract to prevent "leakage" while removing the guts from the beast... not essential, but it is a good way to ensure you dont get poopy meat!

Derp
09-14-2007, 10:23 AM
I will be faced with the same situation being a noob to hunting, I'm going for my first game animal a blackie up in boston bar this saturday.

So i've been watching these videos about dressing a deer so I'm thinking doing a bear would be similar, yes?? Anything I should look forward to? I've yet to cut the balls of an animal, its gonna be interesting :razz:

FlyingHigh
09-15-2007, 12:26 AM

Ummm, I took the CORE course. I've spent countless hours in the back country. Canoeing, hiking, ice climbing, rock climbing, skiing, fishing, 4wheeling etc. I come from an outdoorsy family. Just no one it my family's taken up hunting. As for prior planning, my family lives of the 6 P's. Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Hence this whole topic. So, if you don't have anything useful to contribute, f*ck off. Mods, can you block this guy from my threads? Adding him to my ignore list.

Now, on to the rest of you guys. Who are actually really helpful. The PM's I've recieved are great, as is the rest of the info here. I picked up the DVD mentioned by Mr. Dean, and it really helps. Also, it turns out the resort I'm staying at on the lake has a cooler, so I'm set there. After watching the video, the gutting etc. seems pretty straightforward. I should be able to manage. We know the resort owners well enough, I should be able to get good advice on gamecutters in the area if I want to get it done up there.

Well....seeing as this is your FIRST deer there is a ritual.

Cut your tag.....and then remove the tail from the animal. Make sure you have a section of rope long enough to tie around your waist. Take the tail and attach it to the rope. Next....remove all your clothing and tie the rope around your waist so the tail acts as a loin cloth. Cover yourself in dirt and put plenty of sticks and leaves in your hair.

Next....take your gun and fire 3 quick shots in the air and start dancing around the deer. If no hunters show up at the 3 quick shots repeat this procedure until someone does. When they do.....and they quit laughing ask them for some pointers on how to gut and clean the deer

Well.....we'll see. It's be a good idea get help cleaning it. Do you think if I act ******ed enough, they'd actually pack it out, butcher it and everything for me? :D Actually, I have my own little ritual I do over fish that I keep (I don't keep many fish). So we'll modify it a bit, and use that. :)

elkdom
09-15-2007, 12:59 AM
Well (fly in eye )Ive tried several times to give you some good advice but it seems to be a waste of time.You do though seem to be capable of swearing and that dont impress me much ! I would love to hear you got your self a deer , you see killing an animal is part of growing up I hope you can grasp that ! cussing on line dont make you wise or stong! BYE BYE NOW!

Mr. Dean
09-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Hey Gent's, let's keep er civil - There's a wee bit of good info in this thread. :biggrin:

PLEASE no swearing or crap-stirring. Gotta a grudge that needs ironing? Use the PM feature.

Thanks.

Allen50
09-15-2007, 09:36 AM
most of all l like the part in the elk on, someone sent in, (make sure the animal is dead before starting to skin or gut,,) some of these are to funny,,, anyway if your new at this and don't know what to do they may help.... happy hunting....

partsman
09-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey Gent's, let's keep er civil - There's a wee bit of good info in this thread. :biggrin:

PLEASE no swearing or crap-stirring. Gotta a grudge that needs ironing? Use the PM feature.

Thanks.

Remember we all started as Newbies at some point and learned the hard way, or had a good mentor.
I agree, no matter what the purpose of this thread may or may not have been, it is a chance to put out some good info, a lot of times posts can turn into peeing matches, when one can just ignore the whole thing and post positive feedback, that will benefit the ones that need the info.
Good info is being posted here, so lets do as Mr. Dean says and keep it civil.:smile:

My two cents worth anyway.

partsman
09-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Ten Easy Steps to Gutting a Deer

Killing a deer requires more than just shooting a deer and dragging it home; there is a messy side that needs to be taken care of. After reading the following simple steps to gutting a deer, you should be able to successfully clean a deer with a small amount of effort. Not only will you be able to get the foul part out of the way, but also it will seem painless; well, for you anyway. Continuing on is not for the faint of heart, but then again, you just shot a deer, so you are not exactly a coward.

Before heading into the woods, make sure everything is packed and ready to go. I always make a hunting checklist with everything I need. I have a section for clothes, food/drinks, gun supplies, gutting supplies and miscellaneous. Within the gutting supplies region I have 1) Knife-This is nothing more than a very sharp pocketknife. The one I use has a three-inch blade and is one that folds in half. 2) Rope-Rope is used to tie the legs behind the head in order to get them out of the while gutting. It is also useful in dragging the deer out of the woods. 3) Rubber Gloves-These are not necessary, however provide easy clean up after gutting the deer. Gloves used in the hospital work just great; they are lightweight and inexpensive. 4) Paper towel or Wet naps-These are used to clean your knife and hands after gutting the deer. I use wet naps or baby wipes because they are premoistened and make for easier clean up. These are not needed and wet leaves or snow can be used in place of them. 5) Foot long stick-A stick is needed to hold the rib cage apart after the guts have been removed. Most people find this stick in the woods, however some people bring their own. After making sure everything es packed, you are ready to head off into the woods.

After a long day of hunting, you finally shoot a deer, congratulations. Now comes the fun part, gutting the deer. Most people do not enjoy this part in the least, but I feel it is one of the most interesting and fun events of hunting as well as a way to warm you up. Go up to the deer and make sure it is dead. This is seen either by looking for a glazed over look in the deer’s eyes or seeing its tongue sticking out while dripping blood. Both will usually happen and will indicate it is all right to gut your deer. If neither of these has happened, be humane and shoot the deer in the neck to put it of its misery. If you cannot do that, at least do not start gutting the deer without it being dead. You would not like it if someone to cut you apart before you were dead. Give the deer some respect.

Since your deer is dead, drag it somewhere that is not flat, a small hill works wonders. This will serve two purposes; one is to let the blood drain and the second is to let gravity help you in the process of pulling the guts out of the body cavity. After finding the perfect spot and placing the deer on its back, you will tie its front legs behind its head. Tie them with the string you brought. After you put on your gloves, it is time to start the actual gutting of the deer. Remove your knife and cut around the anus. This is a very important step and is usually done first. Make sure the anus is completely free from the skin surrounding it and can easily be pulled up into the body when needed.

Now the hardest part is done and the cutting into the body can take place. Directly above the anus is the pelvic bone. Follow this up towards the underside of the deer until you hit the first soft fleshy part. This is where you will make the first incision. Very carefully cut a hole into the deer being cautious not to puncture the gut. DO NOT puncture the gut. If you do this you will not enjoy the rest of the process in the least bit. There will be a pleasant odor coming out if you do. Once a hole is cut, stick your pointer and middle fingers in the deer. Poke the gut with your fingers to make sure you know where it is and pull out on some of the skin on the body. Using your fingers as a guide, slowly cut up the belly of the deer until you hit the sternum (breastbone). What I have found works the best to do this is making a “V” with your two fingers and cutting the skin between them, pulling it up as you go.

Once you hit the sternum, you do not need to go any further. Some people go further in order to keep their hands cleaner, but this is not needed. Place your knife next to you in a spot you will not lose it and is handy to get. Reach your hands inside the deer up towards its neck and you will find the diaphragm. If you grab above the diaphragm and pull down with all your might in one quick jerk, all of the guts should come out. However, this does not work most of the time, but will make things a lot easier. With this movement a lot of guts will come out and give you room to work. After cleaning out the loose organs with your hands, grab your knife and start finding where the rest is stuck. Cut free what is still attached and pull out with the other hand. You are cutting inside the rib cage; so do not worry about cutting into any meat.

After pulling all the guts out, make one more reach around inside the body cavity to make sure you have not missed anything. A lot of times you will find you have missed a small organ and it is easy to take out. Good work, you have just finished most of the work in gutting your deer. All that is left is to make sure the rib cage stays open and the clean up. Both of these are very easy to do. Find a sturdy stick that is about a foot long and stick it inside the deer, pressing on both sides of the rib cage. This will let air into the body and help with the drainage of blood. Once done with this, you will most likely not need to worry about becoming bloody once again. Take off your gloves and get out your paper towel or wet nap, whichever you decided to bring with you. First thing you will want to do is clean your knife. Do this before the blood on it dries. This will make it a lot easier. Your hands will be clean because you were wearing rubber gloves and you will not have to worry about getting the knife even bloodier. After wiping off your knife, now it is time to clean your wrists. Wipe any blood off your wrists that you can and check your boots and clothes for any spots of blood they may have encountered, wipe these off as you go.

After clean up, you are done gutting the deer. If you plan to hunt some more, move the gut pile off to the side and move the deer to a place it will not be seen by oncoming deer. If you do not plan on shooting any more deer, you are done. You can drag your deer out of the woods and you are ready to go home. The deer has been gutted and you are on your way. Success is in your hands and you are a deer management cooperator. Just do not forget to tag your deer or you could face some pretty high fines. Good luck and happy hunting.

dino
09-15-2007, 01:20 PM
I respect your attitude and agree with you 100%. There are a fair number of people on here that hide behind a computor and say things that they would never say to your face.I have been hunting for years and have been always successful .I do my homework and ask lots of questions like you, even now. you will figure everything out and learn as you go so keep asking questions no matter what anyone else has to say. you will be a better hunter if you do .good luck but you wont need it your on the right track.
dino

FlyingHigh
09-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. After doing all this reading, I'm pretty sure I've got the idea. All I've read the last couple days is cleaning and gutting techniques. Brain overload!!!! :D Thanks again for the info, and I'll let y'all know how it goes.

partsman
09-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Here is a link to a demo of cleaning.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7704838004016021648

ROY-alty33
09-18-2007, 08:39 PM
make sure the animal is dead before starting to skin or gut

+1
give 'em time to die, start pushin him and you just created one heck of a walk for yourself.
know how to tell?
eyes open!

RBH
09-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Couple of thoughts:
1) re: butchering, I do it myself on the kitchen counter. Wife is quite tolerant. Everything gets boned out. I take roasts and tenderloins etc and the rest goes into stew meat. Wrap everything in cellophane then freezer paper. Each package weighed and labeled as to what it is (type of roast, or meat, deer, date, weight) then into the freezer. Once you start it is pretty self evident. Bones go in a garbage bag and I just pray that the bag doesn't rip when the garbage guy picks it up.

2) apart from everything else my basic approach is this:
a) "hooping": cut around the anus, pushing the knife in a bit as doing until the anus comes loose, then pull it out and tie it off with a piece of string. If no string then no problem; just clean out any pellets that drop into the gut cavity.
b) the first cut: Your knife should be *very* sharp. I put the deer on its back and after spreading the stomach hair to expose some skin I gently rub the blade on the skin. It will cut in thin layers. Do this until you *just* go into the bowel cavity and expose the innards (i.e. without cutting the innards). then turn your knife over (edge facing up to you), hold it with your hand below and your forefinger covering the tip, then insert the up-curving blade into the cavity, cutting upward and foward toward the deer's sternum, slicing all the layers of the skin and opening up the bowel cavity. Similarly, you can do the same going down to the rear.
c) the guts of the matter: Turn the deer on its side and pull the mass of guts out. Then, being careful with the knife, reach up toward the front of the cavity and feel for the diaphram -- a membrane that separates the bowels from the lungs. Slice it with the tip of your knife, then cut it around as much as possible.
D) you can then do either of the next two things:
i) if no cape desired, cut the windpipe from the outside and then reach up past the lungs, get hold of the windpipe and pull like hell till it comes out.
ii) carefully cut around the top of the guts, severing the connective tissues that join parts of the guts to the upper part of the deer body. Also carefully reach up to the rear and pull out the anus, dealing with any connective tissue and being careful not to pop the bladder (I am a bit vague on this stuff; just do your best.)

Basically that should take care of much of it. clean out the cavity with some grass or whatever. Cool the carcass off as quick as possible. If you are going to keep hunting, either string it up or leave it in the shade with a stick propping the cavity open so it can cool.

When back a camp string it up and skin it as soon as possible. It is pretty easy. If it is a cool and no bugs it can hang in the shade. IF there are bugs put a gauze game bag on it.

Sorry if I duplicated what others have said. That is my approach. Good luck.

Canuck2
09-18-2007, 10:55 PM
It looks like I may be a little late, but I'll throw this in anyway.

www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/gutting.html (http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/gutting.html)