PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Range Suggestions?

joshbazz
01-02-2019, 11:01 PM
Any recommendations on the shooting ranges near Kelowna?

I'm interested in either:
Joe Rich
Oceola (Winfield)
Peachland
Swamp Road?

The lower costs of the Winfield and Peachland are attractive. I spoke to one hunter who goes to Peachland and recommended it, all are between a 20-45 minute drive from me or so.

I hunted around Beaver Lake this year, and might want to do a little more of it, so might be leaning toward Winfield to hopefully make friends, I'm a brand spanking new hunter, but 44 years in the tooth. I'm also interested in areas west of big white, Aberdeen Lake area, so maybe Joe Rich is also an option. I have friends who hunt Princeton/Peachland areas so there's that too. I guess I could try to join them all, but that seems expensive...

I'm not looking for negative feedback of any, I'm sure they are all run great, just looking for positive recommendations if you're a member.

Thanks in advance!

walks with deer
01-02-2019, 11:15 PM
visit them all first.
than go to a function..than decide.

bankshot
01-02-2019, 11:41 PM
I was with Kelowna, then I went to Oceola for a few years and now I'm with Joe Rich. It's not cheap but all the facilities are in one spot, 300 meter rifle range and not a lot of members yet so I'm usually alone when I go which I like. Best of all it's close for me since I live just off Hwy 33. There's no skeet or clay shooting on the property, they don't want the pellets contaminating the area to protect nearby land for some birds.

joshbazz
01-03-2019, 12:01 AM
Thanks Bankshot! That's what I was looking for :) that 300 range sounds appealing!

wrenchhead
01-03-2019, 12:24 AM
Excellent facility in vernon if you interested in a little longer drive.

joshbazz
01-03-2019, 12:53 AM
Excellent facility in vernon if you interested in a little longer drive.
Not a bad idea, I do go to Vernon often, and will likely hunt between Winfield and Lavington this fall...

mike31154
01-03-2019, 07:38 AM
Vernon Fish & Game range is another 20 minutes east out of town. It is a well equipped facility. Curious as to why where you intend to hunt would influence which range you choose? I hunt in a number of MUs, 3, 4, 8, 6 for moose last season. Range day is range day for me. Hunting another.

Brez
01-03-2019, 09:01 AM
Can you guys give me an idea of how much you pay to access your gun ranges? We here in Trail have just had our fees increased from $5 (the cost of a key) to $25 and a bunch of guys are squacking about it. Oh, we also have to belong to an organization with liability insurance. Thanks

boxhitch
01-03-2019, 09:13 AM
Vernon Fish & Game range is another 20 minutes east out of town. It is a well equipped facility. Curious as to why where you intend to hunt would influence which range you choose? I hunt in a number of MUs, 3, 4, 8, 6 for moose last season. Range day is range day for me. Hunting another.
For many, belonging to a club is as much social as it is just for the range or quad insurance. For example Armstrong, Oceola, Lumby all have events for members and organized shooting events, even Christmas parties.
Vernon ?............not so much........
but they have a nice range

boxhitch
01-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Can you guys give me an idea of how much you pay to access your gun ranges? We here in Trail have just had our fees increased from $5 (the cost of a key) to $25 and a bunch of guys are squacking about it. Oh, we also have to belong to an organization with liability insurance. ThanksBCWF member clubs usually have far higher rates because of the dues paid to The Fed, which gives the benefits.
Around here memberships are near $100 for Wife and Me

Keta1969
01-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Can you guys give me an idea of how much you pay to access your gun ranges? We here in Trail have just had our fees increased from $5 (the cost of a key) to $25 and a bunch of guys are squacking about it. Oh, we also have to belong to an organization with liability insurance. Thanks

$100.00 plus $5.00 for a key in Campbell River and you must take a range orientation class. 200 meter, 600 yard rifle ranges,indoor range and pistol and shotgun facilities. Lots of activities if you wish to participate. I really only use the rifle ranges but as I reload get up there fairly often. Price where ever you are will depend on facilities and how well everyone cleans up after themselves. https://crgunclub.bc.ca/

joshbazz
01-03-2019, 10:25 AM
...Curious as to why where you intend to hunt would influence which range you choose?...
As a new hunter I know basically nothing but what I read and learn on here, hopefully friendly folk that are members of the range I join will be helpful in offering advice for the type of hunting in that area – to be clear, I'm not looking for anyone's hunting honey pot, just general hunting advice for the are and game I'd be hunting :)

joshbazz
01-03-2019, 10:48 AM

What I've seen for annual fees
Peachland $65 (family $80)
Winfield (Oceola) $85 ($110 family)
Vernon $90 (family $110)
Kelowna (Joe Rich) $200 (family +$15 per)

Big jump for Joe Rich in price, but each range is seperate, and close by (50m, 100m, 300m) but no shotguns. Looks like they are active on Facebook, but their website doesn't' look current as their next general meeting is posted for Sep 2018.

Peachland is most affordable, but I can't find social media posts later than 2017, and their website looks out of date - hence why I am asking for real people's experiences.

Oceola (Winfield) I had a lot of interest in, but I'm not crazy that they are shutting down weekdays for the next 60 days or so because of logging in the area, only open weekends, which could make a busy range...

Vernon is a little far, but the facility looks great.

Kelowna in-town range is bench rest only (and more expensive than JR) - so not interested.

I really want to get very good and accurate with my 30-06. I've only just gotten rid of my flinch, after about 20 rounds. I would keep pulling the odd shot, or shoot with my eyes closed (yup, I'm admitting it). My plan is to make sure I am set up for an accurate point blank range for my rounds and rifle; Remington CoreLokt 165 are looking the best compared to the Hornady WT 150/180 and blue box Federals 150 I've tried so far.

I then want to practice at least once a week off-hand and seated shooting starting small and working up to 300 yards. Prone I'm accurate within 150 yards - my limit on Crown Land so far...

Brez
01-03-2019, 11:29 AM
Thanks people. The Trail range has a 300 m bench rest range, a pistol/small arms 100 m range and a full archery range with out to 100 m targets and a 20 target 3-D course. It's a little rough but very functional. So sorry to derail if I have.

dracb
01-03-2019, 02:32 PM
Even scrooge (assuming he is a shooter or archer) would not bitch or flinch over paying $25 annually for access to that range of facilities.

Smitty86
01-08-2019, 09:57 PM
I'm biased. I love the JRSA facility. It's never busy, gorgeous setting, younger executives with a high drive to improve the facility, and you can have quite a bit of say in the direction the club is going in. It's a little more expensive, yes, but it was once cheap. Unfortunately the previous owner lost it, and we had to do some drastic actions to save the range. This is the first year of our rebuild with lots and lots of improvements to the facility. Also, I understand Peachland does not allow restricted weapons. I might be wrong.

in addition to the range proper, there is also the black powder folks (BEAR) who operate a walking trail for black powder pistols and rifles, as well as some Hawk and Knife.

In anycase, coming from Calgary, where range fees are insane, I find all of our fees locally to be a steal of a deal.

Also, if you're a shotgun kinda guy, there is the Central Okanagan Shotgun Sports Club that just opened up the road (Just off Hw 33 along the Big White road). It's like $50 a year, then $6 a round. Eventually, they aim to get Sporting Clays one day too (where my heart truly lies in Shotgun Sports).

MOWITCH SLAYER
01-09-2019, 01:55 PM
Just bought a single membership to Armstrong With B.C.W.F and a key is $70.00.Lots of events all year long

emerson
01-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Here in PG $120 family/yr. Paying a few extra $ for good facilities that aren’t busy is worth it.

joshbazz
01-09-2019, 03:55 PM
Just bought a single membership to Armstrong With B.C.W.F and a key is $70.00.Lots of events all year long

Armstrong is a little far fro me, but that's a great price!
:)

Boner
01-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Here in PG $120 family/yr. Paying a few extra $ for good facilities that aren’t busy is worth it.

You must get a deal because it’s $150 for my family to go to the same range.

Landroving
01-09-2019, 11:23 PM
For what it's worth, I really like Joe Rich. It's fun; steel targets, holsters ok, shooting matches, open houses, social events, etc. And there's the black powder side of the property, and airsoft on the property as well.

I might be biased though... I'm the president!

emerson
01-09-2019, 11:46 PM
You must get a deal because it’s $150 for my family to go to the same range.
Maybe I did pay $150, it was just a couple weeks ago, but I am getting older.

wrenchhead
01-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Armstrong is less then 100 yards....good for sighting in and practicing form, but a little short otherwise. Has a trap range and 3d too.