PDA

View Full Version : So what is going to change in the regulations this year

bigben
01-02-2019, 08:49 PM
Anyone hear of anything changing this year ?

dana
01-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Mule Deer Bucks are going to LEH

wos
01-02-2019, 09:01 PM
Mule Deer Bucks are going to LEH

I hope that's an attempt at sarcasm!

dana
01-02-2019, 09:23 PM
After having such a positive response following the ban of the use of drones, it looks like trailcams are next on the list. When one jurisdiction makes the call, others follow, and BC is already behind the times on this. The ethical debate aside, what did the drone in was the legalities under privacy rights. The trailcam falls under the same legal nightmares. The government does not want human rights lawsuits against them, so an outright ban is the easiest solution.

Wild one
01-02-2019, 09:27 PM
Must be 50m away from a motor vehicle before discharging a firearm

wos
01-02-2019, 09:31 PM
I heard most the province will be bow only for the general open season!

walks with deer
01-02-2019, 09:34 PM
50 percent of your meat to be donated to local band.

walks with deer
01-02-2019, 09:35 PM
and i heard about the 50m rule from your vehicle shes coming down the pipe for sure.

ACE
01-02-2019, 09:38 PM
Licences, regulations, tags, LEH applications, and permission to hunt . . . . to be by 'consultation & consent' by a minority group.

wos
01-02-2019, 09:42 PM
Mule deer and moose will be closed in region 5. Thats the best thing to ever happen to that area!

Firstblood
01-02-2019, 11:54 PM
Region 3 closed to everyone but region 3 residents........

browningboy
01-02-2019, 11:56 PM
All general hunting will be by LEH, and even when drawn you have to go to a minority groups office to buy the lucky tag, even if it’s for mushrooms....

REMINGTON JIM
01-02-2019, 11:58 PM
Licences, regulations, tags, LEH applications, and permission to hunt . . . . to be by 'consultation & consent' by the FN's Governing the Regions !

REMINGTON JIM
01-03-2019, 12:00 AM
Region 3 closed to everyone but region 3 residents........

Now that's a GREAT IDEA ! :smile: RJ

Ferenc
01-03-2019, 12:28 AM
Remote trail cams .... heard talk of it
Wireless

.308SLAYER
01-03-2019, 06:15 AM
People have to hunt the region they live in lol

hunter1947
01-03-2019, 06:18 AM
I would like to see more predators shot GOS year around for wolves at hi or low elevations

wideopenthrottle
01-03-2019, 07:45 AM
blue grouse LEH is down to 3 tags per person

steel_ram
01-03-2019, 08:16 AM
No hunting in the region you live in. Makes economic sense and easier on the wildlife.

Piperdown
01-03-2019, 08:34 AM
Now that's a GREAT IDEA ! :smile: RJ

But you have had to lived there for a minimum of 5 years :tongue:

ramcam
01-03-2019, 09:21 AM
I dont think any changes will happen, I believe we just printed a 2 year regulation book last year so i am thinking no
changes this year.

boxhitch
01-03-2019, 09:22 AM
New Whitetail antlerless tags, $ reduced by 50%, to encourage pest control

REMINGTON JIM
01-03-2019, 09:30 AM
But you have had to lived there for a minimum of 5 years :tongue:

and NO " ISLANDERS " allowed to HUNT on the Mainland ! :-P RJ

hawk-i
01-03-2019, 09:42 AM
After having such a positive response following the ban of the use of drones, it looks like trailcams are next on the list. When one jurisdiction makes the call, others follow, and BC is already behind the times on this. The ethical debate aside, what did the drone in was the legalities under privacy rights. The trailcam falls under the same legal nightmares. The government does not want human rights lawsuits against them, so an outright ban is the easiest solution.

Its about fricken time!!! :)

Browning 3\d
01-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Banning all ATV.

ElectricDyck
01-03-2019, 10:29 AM
I heard elevation turret systems are being reviewed..

albravo2
01-03-2019, 10:35 AM
I heard they were going to ban high-powered rifles because they give hunters an unfair advantage over prey.

Wild one
01-03-2019, 10:43 AM
I heard they were going to ban high-powered rifles because they give hunters an unfair advantage over prey.

I think you are confused the ban is on high power scopes. This has come about do to all the long range hunting systems on the market

Jagermeister
01-03-2019, 10:50 AM
1. We are all getting older.
2. Others have taken up where Pemby_mess left off.

steel_ram
01-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Special "Seniors" discounted hunting/fishing licenses not valid on weekends.

Buckmeister
01-03-2019, 11:09 AM
I dont think any changes will happen, I believe we just printed a 2 year regulation book last year so i am thinking no
changes this year.

They can change the regs at any given time regardless if there is a printed copy. The printed copy is basic reference for the most part. With the online world, the simply post any changes to their website, it's up to the hunter to check it often in order to be informed, technically every time before leaving on a hunt. Here is the link... on that page you will see that you can subscribe to an RSS feed that will inform you of updates when they happen..... https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/regulations-synopsis/2018-2020-corrections-updates

Well if that's the case, an argument can be made against security cams, or traffic cams, or cell phone cams, TV cameras, and any handheld camera. I don't see those going away any time soon, but rather becoming more common place. But I could see them banning trail cams for the reason you stated. But I thought the drone thing had more to do with unfair advantage, like being in a plane or helicopter and spotting game from the air, and then landing and immediately hunting that game. A trail cam that can transmit it's pics wireless kinda fits that category, cause it can be up to the minute reporting I suppose (I dunno, i've never owned a transmitting one to see how they work). But I don't see a problem with a non-wireless cam, because all its doing is telling you the past, not what is happening at the present.

Islander30
01-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Yes, but I heard that's being coordinated with a complete ban on all fishing and USE of all tidal waters except for Islanders.....that includes any of OUR sockeye that might use your river to spawn !

However, your welcome to shoot any seals or sea lions you can see from shore....apparently there will be a GOS for them with NO bag limit :shock: !!!

IronNoggin
01-03-2019, 11:17 AM

Roosevelt Elk LEH's will ONLY be issued to Islanders Period. :twisted:

Nog

swampthing
01-03-2019, 11:31 AM
I heard all seasons would be in "sync". I guess that would close the august moose/elk up north? I love the early season and would be pretty bummed about that.

Fella
01-03-2019, 11:33 AM
I hear blacktails will have a special opening in Oak Bay, rifle only, and you can also take any yappy lapdogs that charge you

Firstblood
01-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Harvest a wolf/cougar/coyote system to increase your LEH odds!!!

REMINGTON JIM
01-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Harvest a wolf/cougar/coyote system to increase your LEH odds!!!

BEST IDEA ! :biggrin: Plus Bears ! there a BAD Predator too ! :evil: RJ

HighCountryBC
01-03-2019, 06:24 PM

A touch dramatic.

r106
01-03-2019, 06:32 PM
Everyone in region 2 are getting free tags for regions 3&8

dana
01-03-2019, 06:45 PM
A touch dramatic.

Never thought of myself of much of a fishermen but I surprisingly catch a few everytime I cast the line out. :)

caddisguy
01-03-2019, 06:55 PM

BC is behind the times on banning trailcams? How many states/provinces have actually banned them? More than 2? I heard North Korea banned free speech. I guess we are behind the times there too?

And privacy did the drone in? Then why is it still perfectly legal to fly drones around when one is not hunting?

Lawsuits against the government for people using trailcams? It would be the person running the camera that gets sued if the courts rule privacy was violated (ie: someone published a picture of someone dropping a #2)

I suppose cameras with zoom lenses and cameras attached to optics should be banned too as you could record someone from a mile away. Much more invasive than a can on a tree with a 15 yard range.

Not sure if it's the fever making me cranky or all the anti hunting BS flying around on HBC lately.

I love your posts and everything but none of what you said in this one passes any sort of factual or logical scrutiny.

dana
01-03-2019, 07:02 PM
BC is behind the times on banning trailcams? How many states/provinces have actually banned them? More than 2? I heard North Korea banned free speech. I guess we are behind the times there too?

And privacy did the drone in? Then why is it still perfectly legal to fly drones around when one is not hunting?

Lawsuits against the government for people using trailcams? It would be the person running the camera that gets sued if the courts rule privacy was violated (ie: someone published a picture of someone dropping a #2)

I suppose cameras with zoom lenses and cameras attached to optics should be banned too as you could record someone from a mile away. Much more invasive than a can on a tree with a 15 yard range.

Not sure if it's the fever making me cranky or all the anti hunting BS flying around on HBC lately.

I love your posts and everything but none of what you said in this one passes any sort of factual or logical scrutiny.

Seems I'm a pretty darn good fishermen. :)

Wild one
01-03-2019, 07:02 PM
Never thought of myself of much of a fishermen but I surprisingly catch a few everytime I cast the line out. :)

Don’t have to be a pro fisherman

My grandpa told me as a kid pick what ever lure you want because there is always a few stupid fish in the lake for every stupid fishermen lol

dana
01-03-2019, 07:04 PM

My grandpa told me as a kid pick what ever lure you want because there is always a few stupid fish in the lake for every stupid fishermen lol

Hahaha!!! So very true!!!

Salty
01-03-2019, 07:08 PM
Grouse tags are going up to 5 bucks a pop.

caddisguy
01-03-2019, 07:22 PM
Seems I'm a pretty darn good fishermen. :)

It's not particularly a tasteful troll (assuming that was actually the intent at the time you wrote it which I'd question in light of other posts) given the amount of anti-everything "hunters" among us that actually take that stance. It's not really doing us any favors. But sure, you got me. Good job.

dana
01-03-2019, 07:30 PM
It's not particularly a tasteful troll (assuming that was actually the intent at the time you wrote it which I'd question in light of other posts) given the amount of anti-everything "hunters" among us that actually take that stance. It's not really doing us any favors. But sure, you got me. Good job.

Just need to read everyone else's responses to this thread. I was first and most got my humour. :)

caddisguy
01-03-2019, 07:38 PM
Just need to read everyone else's responses to this thread. I was first and most got my humour. :)

Fair I suppose. I just saw it quoted with Mr hawk cheering and went off without back checking.

Apology in order I suppose. Sorry dana. Anyone got some Tylenol and blood pressure pills?

caddisguy
01-03-2019, 07:44 PM

And effff you Wild One. I have been told I am pretty wise by fish standards... some species anyway!

Wild one
01-03-2019, 07:57 PM
And effff you Wild One. I have been told I am pretty wise by fish standards... some species anyway!

What can I say my grandpa was an insensitive smarta$$ and I just might have inherited those genes lol

Its not my fault I was doomed at birth

walks with deer
01-03-2019, 08:23 PM
when i worked in a tackle shop and supplied one with lures and flys i made at home a old man pulled me aside and gave me some wisdom.

(son your making stuff thats time consuming and uses alot of material but i am sure works well to catch fish...) (if you want to make money make stuff thats quick and you can catch fisherman..))) lol

russm
01-03-2019, 08:51 PM
Mule deer and moose will be closed in region 5. Thats the best thing to ever happen to that area!

Never to be opened again, that’s really good...

limit time
01-03-2019, 10:23 PM
They are banning jetboats in Regions 6&7.

wos
01-03-2019, 10:35 PM
Never to be opened again, that’s really good...

Its for conservation!!

caddisguy
01-03-2019, 10:37 PM
What can I say my grandpa was an insensitive smarta$$ and I just might have inherited those genes lol

Its not my fault I was doomed at birth

The both of you sound like good campfire company

358mag
01-03-2019, 10:44 PM
They are banning jetboats in Regions 6&7.

Also total ban on float + wheel planes in Region 6+ 7

Astepanuk
01-04-2019, 08:03 AM
How long do you think grizzly bear hunting can continue to be closed for before the population explodes or will they stay closed for ever.

Wild one
01-04-2019, 08:30 AM
The both of you sound like good campfire company

If you can handle sh!t and abuse in the name of fun from a politically incorrect smarta$$ with no filter all would be good. I actually have to hit delete a lot here so I don’t offend people

As for Dana I don’t know about that guy little people are unpredictable and creep me out lol

elch jager
01-04-2019, 09:45 AM
No question that trail cams give an absolutely huge boost to hunter success. If the intent is to reduce the harvest by decreasing success, then trail cams would have that desired effect. Put aside the legal/privacy argument, if trail cams get banned it won't have anything to do with privacy law.

I like the increased odds on LEH ungulate if you harvest a predator, but what is to stop a guy from just buying a black bear tag and cutting it...? compulsory inspection of wolves and bears? - then we would need a lot more man power... more CO's and higher costs all around.

I think that our idiotic NDGreen Gov't is going to change NBL on Woofs to protected species...

More restrictions on ATV's for sure...

More pandering to the Indians as well...

No hunting ungulates during the rut... seasons will be closed for the prime rut for each WMU.

Firstblood
01-04-2019, 10:34 AM
Drones were banned from hunting purposes not because of privacy but because of how easy it is to locate animals with live feed cameras. As we have been shown on the internet recently, people really like to get close to animals with drones and it really bothers them.

Bugle M In
01-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Wow, not sure on which comments to laugh about, and which ones are actually serious????
Ban during the rut?
No Trail Cams?
Glad to see "Cabin Fever" took less then a month to set in for many on here, and a serious case of it to boot.
hmmmm…..
Hoping this is just a "Farce Thread".

Wild one
01-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Hearing rumours of no discharge of firearms within 1000m of any FSR in BC along with archery only within 50km of all cities exceeding a population of 20k

This will be put in place strictly for public safety

eatram
01-04-2019, 02:32 PM
Rumour has it that there will be a new way of cancelling your tag. It is suggested that you cancel the sex of the animal as to what YOU THINK the animal identified as... There will be an additional leaflet with each license with the appropriate 56 different sexes labelled. The newest sex is called a Boe

LBM
01-04-2019, 02:59 PM
Anyone hear of anything changing this year ?

Im guessing your question is a legit one, havent heard of any reg change talk yet but some discussions on them, do hope something is done sooner then later for
sheep and goats in region 4. Lower autherizations for goat and close more sheep areas or go on LEH numbers are hurting in some
areas.

.300WSMImpact!
01-04-2019, 03:55 PM
Banning all ATV.

I think trackers are whats being banned

Walking Buffalo
01-04-2019, 04:12 PM
Im guessing your question is a legit one, havent heard of any reg change talk yet but some discussions on them, do hope something is done sooner then later for
sheep and goats in region 4. Lower autherizations for goat and close more sheep areas or go on LEH numbers are hurting in some
areas.

Since you're serious about advocating for eliminating even more hunting opportunity....

How is reducing the harvest of a handful of senile rams going to help recruitment?

Maybe the sheep problem is that the current regulations are causing a harmful genetic selection and it is time to go back to the regulations that existed when sheep populations were strong.....

dana
01-04-2019, 07:37 PM
While I was joking about trail cams and some cannot see the humour, I feel I must comment on the drone comments. Seems most that have commented are only seeing the ethical hunting issue as to why they are restricted. Fact is, privacy is the reason why they are not allowed in most places aside from the little toys still being sold. GoPro actually made a big gamble putting a ton of their market shares in a new drone and sales flopped because of heavy restrictions due to privacy issues. The hit was very bad for them and almost sank them. They are still trying to recover. Drone use is so very heavily regulated with huge hoops to jump through to get permits to fly that the market crashed. When there were no rules, the sky was the limit for that market. My joke regarding trail cams had much grounds for merit based on what happened in the drone industry and there are indeed States starting to regulate trail camera use. If this offends you, that makes it more funny to me. The thread was asking about new regulations. I turned it into a humour post and most followed suit.

Ron.C
01-04-2019, 08:23 PM
Rumour has it that there will be a new way of cancelling your tag. It is suggested that you cancel the sex of the animal as to what YOU THINK the animal identified as... There will be an additional leaflet with each license with the appropriate 56 different sexes labelled. The newest sex is called a Boe

that's funny #$% right there :razz:

Bugle M In
01-04-2019, 10:39 PM
I am going to assume that at some point, maybe not this season, but a few changes to elk in some form or other in R4.
Whether it is getting rid of some of the bow opportunities or something even more, I cant say.
Just some of what I read and the concerns for low #'s in some areas.
Zone X worked better then they thought.
That being said, doesn't sound like they want #'s to be higher than 12,000 in the future, so who knows how they go about
propping up the #'s and then trying to cull them again??
Not really a rum our, but just my thoughts what might be coming from recent reads.

J_T
01-05-2019, 06:20 AM
For perspective, the next set of regulations will be 2020-2022 I believe.
The process:
Reg changes are currently being discussed in regional advisory groups. Usually in December the meetings are about Gov sharing statistics. Over the next quarter, regulation proposals will be submitted and discussed. By June, regulations with merit start to come together.
In October (2019) the regs are loosely 'drafted' and Government goes out to Indigenous people for comment, and following that, the long period of public engagement occurs, before final decisions are made.

FYI, there is a committee now on Fair Chase with a number of topics to consider and those which might warrant regulation change will be included in the Fall 2019 proposed reg changes.

Rhyno
01-05-2019, 08:18 AM
How long do you think grizzly bear hunting can continue to be closed for before the population explodes or will they stay closed for ever.

Hunting accounted for a VERY small percentage of annual mortality, not hunting them won't be the cause of the "population exploding"

Rhyno
01-05-2019, 08:21 AM
I am going to assume that at some point, maybe not this season, but a few changes to elk in some form or other in R4.
Whether it is getting rid of some of the bow opportunities or something even more, I cant say.
Just some of what I read and the concerns for low #'s in some areas.
Zone X worked better then they thought.
That being said, doesn't sound like they want #'s to be higher than 12,000 in the future, so who knows how they go about
propping up the #'s and then trying to cull them again??
Not really a rum our, but just my thoughts what might be coming from recent reads.

They already closed the low land antlerless season, it would be laughable to close any bull archery season in an effort to increase populations. That said the government does not use facts or common sense when making management decisions.

LBM
01-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Since you're serious about advocating for eliminating even more hunting opportunity....

How is reducing the harvest of a handful of senile rams going to help recruitment?

Maybe the sheep problem is that the current regulations are causing a harmful genetic selection and it is time to go back to the regulations that existed when sheep populations were strong.....

Ya realize its hard for some to understand but have no problem giving up opportunity if certain animals numbers are not doing well/declining to low levels.
Not sure how far back your talking when sheep populations were strong like before the last die off. Numbers couldn't handle a GOS like that now, but if they went to a
LEH with any ram the hand full that may be taken could be of various ages which may be better for the heard and actually some of the older rams that will never be
legal under the current regs may also be harvested.

LBM
01-05-2019, 09:20 AM
They already closed the low land antlerless season, it would be laughable to close any bull archery season in an effort to increase populations. That said the government does not use facts or common sense when making management decisions.
The spike rifle season was also closed.

J_T
01-05-2019, 10:08 AM

Yes. With no science to support this decision. Our expectation is this season will be reinstated.
One can't imagine how "they" can conclude a low impact archery season has more impact than a GOS in the rut. We keep changing regs to show "something" is being done. What needs to be done for wildlife recovery is way beyond hunting regs.

dmace
01-05-2019, 10:58 AM
I heard there will be a closure of Blacktail hunting in region 1 , to support the growth of the southern resident killer whales:mrgreen:

Bugle M In
01-05-2019, 02:12 PM
Yes. With no science to support this decision. Our expectation is this season will be reinstated.
One can't imagine how "they" can conclude a low impact archery season has more impact than a GOS in the rut. We keep changing regs to show "something" is being done. What needs to be done for wildlife recovery is way beyond hunting regs.

Yup, agree.
Since that first reduction in cow leh in late 90's (which I agreed with), AND, the 6 pt restriction, that same year (did not agree with), all to grow elk "faster" and back up", so be it.
But then Cull them again back starting mid 2000's again, because "they aren't addressing why the elk are not going back to the high country".
And in the end, cull them down to some real historical lows.

Certainly does "not" give me faith with how the Ministry operates, and potentially some Bios' unless the Bios arms are being
twisted by higher ups????

These issues, definitely after the late 90's, are "beyond hunting Regs". (like JT states).
And that goes for "much of the province".