PDA

View Full Version : Frickin Wolves!

Gateholio
09-13-2007, 10:33 AM
My GF just called...2 of her sheep were killed last nigth by wolves, not 100 yards from the barn (why they weren't n the barn at nigth I don't know)

They ate most of one and part of the other, wolf tracks all around them. Sounds like they came sometime in the wee hours of the morning.

I would imagine when they get a bit hungry they will come back for the rest.

I suppose I will head there this afternoon after work. I am thinking about putitng my caller out and sending out some coyote noises could possibly make them come in, to defend thier kill?

Any suggestions from people that know more about this stuff than I do?

I swear, i've never seen this much wolf activity in my life...The last coupel of years the wolf populaitons around here have skyrocketed, last winter they dragged away and ate several dogs in thier back yards, they've been killing calves, goats, you name it..

JAYDEE
09-13-2007, 10:50 AM
That's what wolves do. Get over there and kill the M.Fs.

stickbow
09-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Hit'em HARD.

BearSniper
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Gatehouse thats bad news. You're going to obviously have to get some revenge and the get buggers.

To bad she left them out, I suppose she won't risk that again.

I wonder if you'd be ok to set up at night on the in a similar situation, or if as a rural property owner you can set bait for them and blast them.

I'm fairly certain that theres no time restriction on defence of livestock. I f they show up at 3:00 a.m. , well then too bad they get shot

Good Luck, hope you get'em:cool:

Wildman
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
I would hang out and blast away! or set traps?

BearSniper
09-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Gatehouse I just thought of something.....

Would you ever consider calling your local newspaper or radio station and reporting the story ?

It might do 2 things:

a) warn other farmers etc about the wolves, and

b) demonstrate to the non hunting public how serious the numbers situation is, thus explaining why theres a predator season in the first place

Just a thought, see what you think:wink:

Gateholio
09-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Bearsniper

Most of the local farmers are aware of the wolves, plenty of them have had problems. I've been asked to shoot them many times, and i've tried when I had opportunity last winter, but when wolves are out of season, I decline. Also, I don't have time to be a wildlife control officer:cool:

The CO's have had several reports abotu wolf issues in the last year, one guy lost 2 dogs in a 2 month span. Unfortunately the CO's dont have time to sit around and wait for wolves, either, and snaring wolves is not somethign that is learned overnight, not to mention you often catch dogs in populated areas.

She wasn't at the farm last night, usually someone puts away the sheep and chickens, must have forgotten last night.:x

BearSniper
09-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Copy that....

Well, best of luck with getting them before they develope a taste for lamb and beef....:x

harbinger
09-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Sounds like fun, do you want another shooter to help you? I could free up some time!:smile:

Gateholio
09-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Sounds like fun, do you want another shooter to help you? I could free up some time!:smile:

I've laready got my buddy coming out wiht me, but we will see what happens tonight, you never know!!:cool:

highcountry88
09-13-2007, 12:23 PM
That is too bad about losing the sheep. One the the difficulties with wolves is that you can hardly ever get a shot off at 'em. They spook so easy when they in the open and most of damage they do is done under the cover of night. They even seem to be wily around snares and even bait stations.

Trappers deal with wolves all the time, maybe here are some of the trappers on this site have some solutions on how to deal with wolves?

Jetboat
09-13-2007, 12:34 PM
solutions on how to deal with wolves?
It ain't pretty but sponges & deer tallow work very well for the ranchers up here.

Chris76239
09-13-2007, 12:44 PM
They probably won't be back the next night, they usally run a cycle of a couple of days. Check the around the property you'll probably find some scat and a trail there using to come on and off the property they are pretty predictable that way. If you what to shoot them don't distrub the trail they will know if you been there walking on it. but knowing where there coming from may help you get the drop on them or it. I've heard there are alot of rogue wolves these days. If you really want to pissed them off spread some dog piss around their trail to the property you might even hear them when they come back.

well that's some of my experience and .02 anyway.

One Shot
09-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Hunting wolves that have taken livestock is a hit and miss situation laying in wait. They seem to have radar built in when you are laying around and waiting. I found that if you sit in a barn or building that you have to sit way back from any door or window in the shadows, they seem to spot you when you sit up close to the opening. You can sit a long time waiting. I have put a couple of calves in a metal pen out in a field, gunshot distance from the buildings where their calling their mammas brought them in. I believe that you can still get a permit from F&W to hunt them out of season when they are predating your livestock. You can try to call them in, I found that they do not always respond to coyote calls. I agree with Highcountry maybe get a trapper with wolf success can come and set up some snares, nothing to loose. A number of years ago aftercoming home from a christmas trip we found that we had lost 12 horses to wolves. F&W came in and baited with poison. I trapped one and shot 2, not sure how many F&W got. After I shot the two they seemed to have left the area.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

elkdom
09-13-2007, 03:02 PM
well it seems the wolf is unpopular 4 sure,but ihave had more than my fair share of encounters with wolves , some planned , some by chance. so I wish you luck and I will wait with intrest to see the results ,I am also curios how many HBC members have taken the allowable harvest of 3 in one season, or even how many sport hunters have killed and have a trophy wolf beside their deer sheep etc. just curious ? HOpe you get the buggers...

3kills
09-13-2007, 03:47 PM
gatehouse sorry to hear bout the sheep hope u get them dam wolves...

plumbob
09-13-2007, 05:41 PM
find a water hole close by and visit it just before dark,as thats what we did in quesnel and it paid off.Are first thing in the morning.

BCLongshot
09-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Invite me up and let's go smack some wolves and tip over a few Grizz.

TB says your a good ol'boy

pmj
09-13-2007, 07:54 PM
About 15 years ago while in hunting camp at the bridge by Hurley Pass Rd, my brother and father had a knock on the van door late in the evening. A husband and wife came down from Tenquille Lake in a snow storm with 2 skinned wolves in their packs.
Not sure if it would work for logistics but here is a good idea, or RRRREALLY STUPID:roll:. January wolf hunt courtesy of HBC members8-). Hike into the mountains around the Valley in the dead of winter:shock:. (if that is where the wolves are hangin out and no avalanch danger). We won't be able to carry too much booze if we pack in far enough (a good thing?). Only the die hards would show up. Practice winter bush craft with others. Do some organized group drives or divide up the area and try to take out a few. No idea if this would work, just a thought. Good luck Gate, seems like it was just a little while ago you talked about loosing a dog in the neighbourhood:mad:.

Will
09-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Let us know how they taste ? :lol:

Best of Luck...Nail em Buggers, they'll be back:cool:

newhunterette
09-13-2007, 08:08 PM
New Menu special - roasted wolf

No Clarke - U can't use that in the recipe book

Ali

Gateholio
09-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Well, we went out, and set up in a small paddock near the barn, with a good view of the sheep carcasses.

Almost immediately, we noticed something large and black in the tall grass/brush out in the back field, abut a km away. Binos revealed it was a black bear, spotting scope revealed that it was medium size, and not that interested in anything except eating oats.

Our stand was behind a fence made of 1x6 rails, wiht a 3"-4" gap between them. Good for concealment, but also allowed us to slide our rifles and scopes between them for clear shooting. The hunting party included myself, my buddy Rob (a regular hunting party) and my GF's younger cousin Will.

I was armed wit my Custom M70 300WSM, shooting 180gr TSX bullets, Rob The Bowhunter borrowed my Mdl 700 LVSF 223 shooting 53gr TSX bullets, and Will had my 30-30 Rem 788 bolt action, loaded with 165gr hard cast bullets to subsonic levels. Very quiet, but also deadly.

The 300WSM wiht TSX bullets was perhaps "overkill" but we were on an assasination mission, and not collecting pelts:tongue:

Before hunkering down, Will said he hadn't had dinner, and ran off to take 20 minutes to wolf :wink: down some food. he hadn't been gone for 5 minutes when we noticed movement to the left, coming down a fenceline.

It crept up, and it turned out to be a coyote. We were going to leave it alone, so as not to give away our position and to keep quiet, in case any wolves may have been in the back, although if Will hadn't gone for dinner, I would have happily let him shoot it, especially as the subsonic rounds sound like a 22 short.

Unfortunatley for Mr Coyote, as he approached the sheep, he took notice of some of the ducks that were straggling their way back to their little house.

I swung on the yote, and pressed the trigger, and he went down immediately, 4 feet in the air for a brief moment. We left him. Will returned a few minutes later, and we told him it was a hell of a time to go for dinner!!!

We stayed silent and waited for the hour and a half it took for darkness to creep in, with no more action.

Eventually we climbed out of our stand, and went to lok at the yote. It was smallish male, with fuzzy fur. The TSX had hit him as he was quartering towards us, punching through the near shoulder, and ripping him open along the sternum and belly. Chunks of coyote clockwork were strewn across the ground.

So that's it- One yote, no wolves, we heard later that someone in the area had taken a shot at a wolf earlier, which may have made them a bit more wary, too.

Gotta work tomorrow morning, maybe try again tomorrow night, depending on ow the day goes.:-?

Mr. Dean
09-13-2007, 11:52 PM
180 TSX'x... Remind me to NEVER pi$$ ya off!

Gateholio
09-13-2007, 11:54 PM
180 TSX'x... Remind me to NEVER pi$$ ya off!

Don't worry, I'm a very, very hard person to piss off...:cool:

smeegle
09-13-2007, 11:56 PM
this may sound wierd but it worked for my friends who ran a dairy farm on vancouver island and had troubles with hungry wolves coming down in the winter....

they urinated on the fence posts ... apparently the smelll of humans either scares em away or marks the territory but im not so sure id rather use a gun and be sure theere not comin back

todbartell
09-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I am also curios how many HBC members have taken the allowable harvest of 3 in one season, or even how many sport hunters have killed and have a trophy wolf beside their deer sheep etc. just curious?

never more than one in a year, but I've killed three wolves in the past 8 years

Gatehouse - using coyote howls will trigger the territorial instinct of the wolves and could likely bring them in, when combined with some fawn in distress mixed in. I could email you the sound of Kid goat in distress, but you might not be competent enough to load it onto your Foxpro :)

Gateholio
09-14-2007, 01:07 PM
http://usera.imagecave.com/chef/Leopardhide373.jpg

boonerbuck
09-14-2007, 01:42 PM
How many wolves do you think there was?

Must of been a single or a pair maybe? Two sheep is just an appy for a small pack even.

You saw how much was left of that kill we found two seasons ago. We found a toe and part of a hide. Not even the head was left ....

Orangethunder
09-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Wolves will eat mountain maggots? They clearly need to be killed. Anything willing to eat a domestic sheep is a messed up critter indeed.

Will
09-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Poor little fella..........:mrgreen:

Mckinney Creek Adventures
09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Get some sponges, soak em in fat. Doesnt matter, bacon fat, deer fat etc. and bait them around the place.

O.... but tie up the dog, cause it will take them out too!

MCA

Gateholio
09-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Get some sponges, soak em in fat. Doesnt matter, bacon fat, deer fat etc. and bait them around the place.

O.... but tie up the dog, cause it will take them out too!

MCA

I'm an A-Hole, but I'm not a EFFING A-Hole!!!

:mrgreen::wink:

Mckinney Creek Adventures
09-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Deads Dead, however you want to do it.

Get Er Done!

MCA

Mr. Dean
09-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Ya goin out again tonight?

Wanna borrow a 458 Winnie???

:mrgreen:

todbartell
09-14-2007, 06:28 PM
you look like a slob highschool kid, tuck that shirt in boy!

mrdoog
09-14-2007, 09:11 PM
The true hunt story:
-fired up my French fry powered Granola mobile
-let it idle until the dreaded wolfoytes were attracted by the smell of week old french fries and onion rings
-let fly with my high powered centrefire, took that bad boy down

Elkhound
09-14-2007, 10:31 PM
looks like a great time

todbartell
09-14-2007, 11:02 PM
...not for the sheep :mrgreen:

lip_ripper00
09-15-2007, 12:53 AM
you look like a slob highschool kid, tuck that shirt in boy!

He wishes:mrgreen:

Gilmore
09-16-2007, 10:11 AM

So much for the fencesitters.:eek:

I've never seen anyone field dress a 'yote before. The ultimate in conservation.:biggrin:

ruger#1
09-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Clarke that picture would look good in the Whistler PNW video . that i gotton out of the case of heres the punch line. Whistler Premium Export Lager. MMM MMM Good. And no you cant have any. Its all mine.