PDA

View Full Version : My first elk hunt

todbartell
09-12-2007, 11:22 PM
hello everyone

I was invited on an elk hunt, and luck was with me and my work schedule as I got three days off in a row. I blew through the door at work 5:01pm on Saturday and I rolled into camp before midnight, catching up to the rest of the crew which had been there for a day or two already. I didnt waste much time setting up my "tent" (thermarest and sleeping bag in the back of my Blazer) and 5am came awful quick, although I was awake before the wakeup call came, as I couldnt sleep through the excitement of my first elk hunt!

Morning of day one, we got onto two bulls right away. We had a shouting match going between the two of them as we cow called between them. Eventually the more aggressive sounding bull came out of the timber 500 yards away, but as hard as we tried we couldnt make him grow a 6th tine. He was a mature 5x5 though, a beauty of an animal. Later that morning a 4x4 came out of the timber below us, bugling as he made his way toward our cow calls.

That evening we headed back to the same area, hoping a 6 pointer was kicking around. We moved into the slash and spotted a herd of cows feeding 400 yards in front of us. There was a spike and the 5x5 from the morning, who was chasing cows around and bugling back to our cow calls, but had no intent of leaving the herd. An unseen cow 200 yards away must of caught some glare off our equipment in the setting sun, as she barked and within seconds there was a dozen elk booking it for the timber. A smaller bull a half mile away was one of them. We waited until dark, hoping they'd return, but the bulls bugles only got further away.

The next morning we headed in again, and glassed a smaller 5x5 with three cows slowly feeding their way towards the timber. We set up downwind of the bush and began cow calling, and within 10 minutes we heard the crashing of some elk coming our way. Out came the smaller 5x5 and his cows, and they eventually circled in downwind of us before catching our wind and spooking.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/ElkHunt/ChetwyndElktrip2007005.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/ElkHunt/Chetwynd2007017.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/ElkHunt/Chetwynd2007015.jpg

todbartell
09-12-2007, 11:24 PM
That evening we were back in earlier than the day before, hoping to get into position downwind of where the herd was feeding before. We headed to camp to the spot where we could drive the truck no more due to mud holes, and began to unload the quads for the short 2 km ride down to where we hiked in the rest of the way. As we were unloading, a truck w/ trailer drove up behind us and the driver got out and began to chat with one of my partners. Apparently he figured he would follow us in and hunt the same cut. My parnter told him he didnt think that was a good idea, and the guy went back to his truck, turned it around, and sat in it as we drove off on the quads. We got past the mud, got off the quads, parking them in the middle of the road (last cut on the road - dead end). We had walked about 200 yards when we heard the hum of ATVs coming towards us, so we stopped and waited. Sure enough, two quads (four guys) come tearing up, PAST where our bikes where parked, and right up to us standing there. I guess the guy had a problem understanding that seven hunters in one cut would be a bad idea. First come, first serve - heeh not in his mind. Turns out he was a guide with three hunters, and he was kinda pissy we beat him into a spot. He was reluctant to take no for an answer, but finally he grumbled out a sarcastic good luck to us, and turned around and back heading the way he came, full throttle. Moberly Lake Outfitters was the name on his hat. Douche bag.

Anyways, we silently glassed our way into the cut, and we hid in a slash pile line abreast. Nothing came out and the sun had set already, and no bugles had been heard, and we'd been cow calling every 10 minutes or so. I suggested to my parnter to try a bugle, which so far in the hunt hadnt given us much luck. Well 15 seconds after he bugles, a bull replies, sounded like he was within 3/4 km and in the timber. This got my confidence up!

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/ElkHunt/Chetwynd2007016.jpg

Partner bugled a few more times, but no responses other than a pack of coyotes. On the fourth bugle (10-15 mins after the first reply), I heard the bull chuckle back at us and it sounded closer but it was hard to be certain. Two of us cow called every few minutes, trying to lure the bull out. Well a few minutes later he screams back at us, and is FOR SURE closer. MUCH closer. That got the heart goin I tell ya!

A few more cow calls and the bugle screams again from just inside the timber. Seconds later he steps out 120 yards away and I raise my binocs and note his right antler is a 5 point, but his left antler has a 6th tine! woo hoo! I turn to my parnter and whisper "who's gonna shoot him?" he says "shit I dont know!...you shoot him you havent gotten an elk before!"

I wasnt going to argue him - I watched the bull work his way towards us slowly. The wind is perfect, in our face and he is on a string heading for me. He turned straight on facing me at 98 yards, and I settled the crosshairs of my 30-06 on his chest. He stopped, lowered his head, and opened his mouth getting ready to bugle when I sent a 165 grain Accubond on its way.

The bull was rocked and on his side before I regained the sight picture. Sticks and dirt was flying 15 feet in the air as he kicked and kicked. I stayed on him for a few seconds making sure he didnt get up, then quickly got off the slash pile and got over to the bull. He was all messed up but trying to get to his feet, so my partner let fly from 20 feet into his neck and all was done.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/ElkHunt/ChetwyndElktrip2007006.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/ElkHunt/Chetwynd2007034.jpg

todbartell
09-12-2007, 11:25 PM
He is not the biggest bull out there, but for my first elk, let alone my first elk hunting trip, he is awesome and I am hooked on elk hunting. It's like nothing else.

1 km quad pull across the block and by 2am he was back in camp skinned and quartered. Back home at the butchers he went 591 lbs (4 quarters with no legs). Butchered him tonight, should be some good eating!

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/ElkHunt/Chetwynd2007044.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/ElkHunt/Chetwynd2007050.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/ElkHunt/ElkTeeth.jpghttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Chetwynd_Elk_trip_2007_006.jpg

thanks to my parnters for making this all happen, I owe it all to them

TB

3kills
09-12-2007, 11:34 PM
nice job bartell congrats....

Gateholio
09-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Awesome story, and a great elk...

Sounds pretty darn intense. :eek:

fuzzwilkens
09-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Congrats Tod! That sounds really exciting to get your first elk.
Too bad about poor etiquette from the outfitter but good you stood your ground.

andre66
09-12-2007, 11:57 PM
great story and some nice pictures too!

boonerbuck
09-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Sounds like an exciting hunt and you definitely made the best of a couple of days off work.:smile:

I'm hoping to get out for elk. The usual truck problems timed with the start of hunting season has begun...:eek:

bwhnter
09-13-2007, 03:21 AM
Great Job! Nice bull

Jetboat
09-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Congrats on your first elk and thanks for the story & pics.

bcfarmer
09-13-2007, 06:01 AM
now that was a great hunting story....I just lived my dream hunt through you...lol congrats on a great first elk hunt and kill.

bcf

mapguy
09-13-2007, 06:14 AM
thats just plain fun

Macgregor
09-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Congratulations. It sure is a rush isn't it.

ianwuzhere
09-13-2007, 07:02 AM
good pix and story!congrats! I hope this year to bag my first elk too.

browningboy
09-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Nice elk and very nice country you're hunting in, funny about the guide though, you know if he was trying to get past you theres some game in there! Anyhow congrats!8-)

300WM
09-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Nice job!

Great elk!

rocksteady
09-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Way to go Mark.....Welcome to the dark side of elk hunting addiction...You will now be hooked for the rest of your life....

I am sure he will be a good eating bulll...Nice change from eating that tough moose meat you got last year...:biggrin:

308BAR
09-13-2007, 08:15 AM
That is lovely, truly awsome for a first elk. Congrats!!

tikkat3
09-13-2007, 08:16 AM
way to go! I'm going for my first elk hunt in a week...I hope I'm as lucky as you are!

Wildman
09-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Great Elk! Awsome story and pictures, thanks for sharing. I hate it when hunters encroach on the area that your hunting in. Specially if you have your vehicle parked there and its just plain obvious that someone else is hunting that area. If I come across a similar situation and I see a truck in a particular area I give the guy some respect and go elsewhere. I usually make sure that I leave way before light to prevent anyone else beating me to my spot. Again, way to go!

derek p
09-13-2007, 10:59 AM
congrats on a nice bull, thanks for the story and pics, looks like you had an awesome time..after reading your story, I'm all fired up for my trip now.

Good Job!!

Phil
09-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Sounds like a blast! Nice job on a beuaty of a bull!

newhunterette
09-13-2007, 11:26 AM
welcome back - congratulations :)
Ali

pitbell
09-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Sweet! I'm jealous. You should be and outdoors writer.

Lionhill
09-13-2007, 12:05 PM
He turned straight on facing me at 98 yards, and I settled the crosshairs of my 30-06 on his chest. He stopped, lowered his head, and opened his mouth getting ready to bugle when I sent a 165 grain Accubond on its way.

Great hunt story. Just to clarify - you shot him while his head was down or up. Where was the POI?

I appreciate all the effort you take to document your hunts here and on CGN. As a new hunter, it clears the fog of how to get started with hunting. Many thanks.

Lionhill

brotherjack
09-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow, great for you on your first elk hunt. I spent upwards of 3 months straight in the bush over 3 years of hunting seasons before I ever even saw a six point elk. You're a lucky man. :)

MattB
09-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Congrats on the elk, should be some good eating there!

The Hermit
09-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Good going Tod!

Stone Sheep Steve
09-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Great story TB!

Congrats on your first elk....... something that has eluded me thus far:sad:.

SSS

saan man
09-13-2007, 03:50 PM
First's are great, aren't they!:biggrin:

Congrat's on a nice looking Bull.

quadrakid
09-13-2007, 06:29 PM
job well done, someday i hope to post a first elk story. nice critter!

BCLongshot
09-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Way to go smarty pants !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice bull.

How warm was it ?

Will
09-13-2007, 07:16 PM
That Rocks ! http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Smilies/rockOn.gif

rock
09-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Great storey damn nice for your first elk congrats

todbartell
09-13-2007, 08:39 PM
thanks guys, I could hardly wait to share the story with you all

Just to clarify - you shot him while his head was down or up. Where was the POI?

head up, but neck extended as he prepared to bugle. Bullet impact from dead on the front, above the heart, punched through about 35" of elk before exiting towards the rear of his right rib cage. Lots of internal carnage, sadly his right front quarter was almost all scrap due to some bloodshot around the shoulder blade. Also there was some meat waste in the hind quarters around a huge bruise he had. When skinning him we noticed the bruising and the fat on the skin over the wound was all pasty and crumbling off the hide. He musta took a hell of a beating from some bull sometime in the week or so before I took him. We still got around 250-300 lbs of meat off him, I cant wait to try it. :grin:

BCBear
09-13-2007, 08:45 PM
We all remember the first time...Good work on the elk!

Caveman
09-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Having some experience around you made the difference. Where'd you end up going? I was in Chetwyn without any real guidance, found it hard to figure out where to find them. Congrats on the success.

todbartell
09-14-2007, 08:39 AM
was in the general area :)

Mr. Dean
09-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Congrats. It sounds like a blast.

Mr. Dean
09-14-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm still waiting for my 1st Elk.

Guess I better start hunting them if I want to change that.

Derek_Erickson
09-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Nice going todd, sounds like you had a good time great to see you back

gary mok
09-14-2007, 05:34 PM
nice elk,congrat!!!

RiverOtter
09-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Late reading this, but congrats just the same Tod. Tough to beat elk hunting and having success on your first trip is awsome. Good luck getting over the bug, your screwed for life.:lol:

RO

porcupine
09-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Congratulations! Memories that will last a life time and a story you'll never get tired of telling.

Well done.
________
herbalAire vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/herbalaire-vaporizer)

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Great job man,congrats ....:-)

Krico
09-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Good write up, nice bull!

sparky300winmag
09-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Congrats on your elk.You just pumped me up for my trip in a few days.There is nothing more exciting than getting in on an ELK and bugling to get him in closer.I still haven't shot one ,but i sure am enjoying trying..

coolhunter
09-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Great job , nice elk

Elkhound
09-16-2007, 09:57 AM
nice elk Mark. I am jealous.

Fisher-Dude
09-16-2007, 06:42 PM
1 km quad pull across the block...
TB

Bartell, you have made me proud! :D

mark
09-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Congrads man you got very lucky to find a 6 point this year! I just got home from the same area, heck looks like the exact same spot I was hunting too. We spent 2 weeks there saw 27 bulls between 3 of us and not 1 with 6 points :-( !

Caveman
09-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Congrads man you got very lucky to find a 6 point this year! I just got home from the same area, heck looks like the exact same spot I was hunting too. We spent 2 weeks there saw 27 bulls between 3 of us and not 1 with 6 points :-( !

Did you find any moose Mark?