PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good 5 wt fly rod that doesn't cost as much as a rifle?

Salty
12-31-2018, 02:38 PM
I'm a bit of a hacker at fly fishing, got in to it about 10 years ago for a few years and at the time bought a Temple Fork Outfitters Signature which at the time was recommended as a good starter rod. I'd have to agree with that its caught me a fair jag of fish and taught me the basics, but I haven't done any fly fishing for several years. So I'm still an intermediate or so rate fly fisher, but have done tons of other types of fishing.

I want to get back in to fly fishing trout again and figure its time to kick it up a notch. I'll keep the TFO as a spare/loaner it wears an old Dragonfly reel with one spare spool. I have a Snowbee cassette reel with 3 spools that I'll put on the new rod. So... what's a good 5 wt rod in the mid range I guess? Not in to dropping a grand but will probably step up from a hundy, lol. I was looking at some Fenwicks, Redington etc. in the 2-300 range but the models are all greek to me. I would be mainly fishing smaller lakes, the odd river. Any input welcomed 8-)

Wild one
12-31-2018, 02:51 PM
I like the redingtons myself good bang for your buck. I would not go crazy on a reel for a 5wt it’s mostly just a line holder to me.

Personally if I am going mid range Redington just feels right in my hand

BCKID
12-31-2018, 04:30 PM
Google "5 Wt shootout" Will give you an idea of what you can get for $$. I picked up a Fenwick Aetos 5 Wt a few months ago at BassPro for under $200.00 great rod!! I got the last one, they sold out fast. BassPro also had a TFO rod there that the guy said was just as good if not better than the Fenwick for about the same $$. Enjoy!!

donny.brooke
12-31-2018, 04:53 PM
Orvis Clearwater is a great rod in the 250-300 range. Sail has them on special right now.

Lillypuff
12-31-2018, 05:15 PM
I have a 10'3 mystic 5 weight and it is great. I do not remember what I paid but I will be buying another one before spring

Salty
12-31-2018, 06:52 PM
Well a Reddington or two, an Aetos, and an Orvis Clearwater are all ones I was looking at a few months back. Good to hear some approval from you guys. Don't think I've ran in to a mystic but they look interesting on line thx Lp.

How about 2 piece vs. 4 piece any pros or cons there other than a shorter tube when its broken down? I'm used to 2 piece rods period and would be fine with that but it seems a lot of good ones are 4 pieces..

Wild one
12-31-2018, 07:03 PM
I like 2 piece because I am less likely to loose/forget a section. I find if I break a rod it’s the tip or joint so I am more trusting of a 2 piece even if it’s in my head

4 piece is nice the way it breaks down and if I am doing a trip that fishing is secondary I take my 4 piece. I often have my 4 in my truck all spring/summer for trying random spots as well

Really I like both lol

horshur
12-31-2018, 07:14 PM
4 piece is awful handy just buy with a case.

Amphibious
12-31-2018, 07:55 PM
https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2017-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-best-5-weight-rod-best-fishing-pole-best-fly-rod-g-loomis-nrx-lp-scott-radian-g-loomis-asquith-t-t-avantt-thomas-and-thomas-avant-edge-by-gary-loomis-orvis-h2-covert-winston-air-sage-x

BriarPatch
12-31-2018, 08:03 PM
I use a Sage 1 but also have a St. Croix that is just as good and is about 1/3 of the cost

jlirot
12-31-2018, 08:43 PM
2nd vote for st croix.

LL Bean is always worth looking at too.

HookandHackle.com is fun...

BCKID
01-01-2019, 10:47 AM
2 piece vs. 4 piece

I have both, If I were to choose I would take the 4 piece.

steel_ram
01-01-2019, 11:03 AM
I have several trout rods, including some $500 + ones. Oddly I find myself fishing my Redington Classic trouts more than any. I just like the relaxed, forgiving feel to them. For casting distance off the beach I definitely prefer the faster rods but the CT is far more pleasant when long bombs aren't the goal.

albravo2
01-01-2019, 11:04 AM
Buddy of mine is one of those "live to fish" guys and I posed the same question to him last summer. He gets pro deals on Reddington and Sage and I considered buying a fancy sage but he wisely told me that for my level of experience I would fish the Reddington rod better.

I took his advice, saved a few hundred dollars, and really like the rod.

frenchbar
01-01-2019, 01:16 PM
I like my fenwicks im hard on shit..there a tough rod.

Salty
01-01-2019, 05:16 PM
I go back quite a ways with Fenwick too, spinning rods bait casting rods. Just bought a 10 1/2 foot Fenwick river rod this summer actually when the socs were around. And the Aetos rates well especially for its price on the shoot out Amphibious posted. I like what I hear about the Reddingtons too. Not in a hurry on this obviously, lots of time to think it all through.

Wild one
01-01-2019, 05:50 PM
One of the reasons redington are the quality they are is because it is sages sister brand. The have a great warranty as well. I ran nothing but high end sage for years and the redingtons impressed me

Fenwick makes nice spinning/trolling rods I have owned more then a few still do. Their fly rods are still good and if you have not casted the better quality rods you would be happy with it not knowing any different. If you really like the idea of Fenwicks I doubt you would regret it

Salty
01-01-2019, 05:56 PM
^ Kinda like Leopold/Redfield eh.. huh, didn't know that.

BimmerBob
01-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Have you considered building a rod yourself? It is not that hard and there are some nice blanks available for a fraction of the price of a commercial rod. A few hours of stress free labour and you will have yourself a rod that you can be proud of.

frenchbar
01-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Salty can barely tie up his shoe laces...the rod build might be impossible..��

Wild one
01-01-2019, 06:32 PM
^ Kinda like Leopold/Redfield eh.. huh, didn't know that.

I did not know that about Leopold/Redfield so we both learn something today lol

Salty
01-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Salty can barely tie up his shoe laces...the rod build might be impossible..😁

If you get a chance to **** off, take it :lol:

I did not know that about Leopold/Redfield so we both learn something today lol

Sounds like we're square then :)

frenchbar
01-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Lol. HNY ...

Riverbc
01-02-2019, 05:37 PM
I have 3 Sage rods and a G Loomis. Two older fenwicks in glass. Oh and one Kennedy Fisher blank built by Wayne Hansen. My 9 year old grandson, got a 13 foot Redington Spey rod from me for Christmas. Yes, Redington is owned by Sage, and I was surprised to see, that like Sage, the rod came with a life time warranty. I was looking at some single handed, Redingtons as well, seem like a nice rod, and a lot cheaper than the higher end Sage. I found lots of reviews for Redington fly rods, and all are favourable. Seems like a good choice.

http://redsflyshop.com/blog/200-rod-vs-900-redington

knothead
01-03-2019, 12:39 AM
What kind of fly fisherman are you? Do you sit in a boat and sipping beer casting to chironomids all day or stalk the rivers with a two hander in search of mighty steelhead? Maybe you prefer to tiptoe along a sleepy little creek with your 2wt and cast underneath the overhanging trees on the opposite bank for a reluctant trout?
All of these disciplines demand different abilities and different fly rods to go with them.

If you plan to step up your game you should be now be looking for different rods for different applications, first pick the fishing you most want to do and then find a rod to match, more rods will come later as you increase your capabilities and learn what you like to do most.
Just like shooting it's a disease that can only be cured by numerous trips to the lake, rivers, streams and fly shops.

I've been fly fishing for about twenty years now and fish rivers and streams, tie flys, built rods and have fished the rivers around here extensively. I have come to prefer a softer slower rod and fish an 8wt sage SLT for single hand salmon and steelhead, for trout I like Scott G1 and have a 2wt and a 4wt, these are good weights for trout in the Skagit and Harrison rivers. Also fish a 10ft Scott Radian in a 5wt over lined with a 6wt line for bombing out long casts into the wind with flys the size of a small airplane for the big trout you can sometimes find in the Thompson.
I have many other rods including a few double handers but those are the rods I fish and enjoy most.

All of the rods I use are 4 piece...though I admit I covet the little 5pc Scott G series poachers rod I bought new in tube for my wife for xmas a couple of years ago.
All of these rods are expensive but can be bought used for between 4 and 8 hundred dollars(I paid $350 for the 5pc, it was $850 rod when new and would be a$1000 today) just do a little homework and be patient.
Some of the best rods you can get are discontinued like the Sage SLT so look around and check out FlyBC for deals.
Most higher end rods come with life time warrantees that are transferable so you don't need to worry about that much.

If you do plan on getting a little more serious the best thing you can do is invest a few dollars in a one hour casting lesson, bad habits are hard to unlearn.
Most shops that sell gear either give them or know where to get them(my recommendation for single hand would be Aaron Goodis at M&Y in Vancouver, just a very good teacher with endless patience)

Salty
01-03-2019, 04:32 PM
What kind of fly fisherman are you? Do you sit in a boat and sipping beer casting to chironomids all day or stalk the rivers with a two hander in search of mighty steelhead? Maybe you prefer to tiptoe along a sleepy little creek with your 2wt and cast underneath the overhanging trees on the opposite bank for a reluctant trout?
All of these disciplines demand different abilities and different fly rods to go with them.

As said I want a 5 wt for trout I've got heavier and lighter rods for other purposes. It'd be mainly small to medium size region 3 lakes using a small boat.

ACB
01-03-2019, 05:01 PM
I use a Sage 1 but also have a St. Croix that is just as good and is about 1/3 of the cost
X2 on the St. Croix.

knothead
01-03-2019, 05:19 PM
So if you want to mainly fish lakes that means one of the things you will do a lot of is tossing chironomids, at least that is part of the fishing that will define your needs. The reason I say this is the rod that is perfect for Chironomid fishing can also be used for an all-round lake rod so will work just as well(or well enough) for stripping leaches or any other type of lake fishing you might do but a rod that is shorter with a slower cast would make casting chironomids difficult at best.
Chironomid fishing demands casting very long leaders with a small float and a tiny fly so you will want a rod in the ten foot range and something with a faster action.

Most of the rods talked about by previous posters are in the $200-$300 range I would guess(Reddington, St Croix,Fenwick) If I was wanting a new lake rod and wanted to spend around $500 I think I would look at the GLoomis but you really need to go to a fly shop and test them out to get the feel for them yourself. It may be that the $200-$300 rods are just what you need because everyone likes a different style and feel for there cast and the only real way to find that out is to cast.

The first fly rod I bought was my Sage SLT, it was half price because it was discontinued, when I asked about lessons the owner had someone watch the shop and he walked me down to a grass field and showed me the basics of casting for an hour, no charge. Since then those guys have become friends and I have taken many courses with them and have camped and fished with one of the owners. that was at M&Y in Whalley.
I went there first because its close to where I live but now because I can go there and they will line any rod I or anyone chooses and take you out to the parking lot to cast it and of course because they have now become friends. I have over the years spent many thousands of dollars there and couldn't be happier with my experience with them so I would highly recommend their shop for someone that is getting serious about fly fishing.

Salty
01-03-2019, 05:38 PM
thx knothead a lot of good info there. Yeah a lesson would be a good plan I'm self taught maybe 50 days out with a fly rod, I looked at some videos but no real training. I wish M and Y were closer I've heard nothing but good them.

hawk-i
01-03-2019, 08:30 PM
The best 5wt rod for a good price, would be to buy a book, a blank, some thread, glue, some cork, etc and fly at 'er! :)

01-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Salty,

I completely agree with Knothead... he is not so much as naming a brand but steering you to a rod that is more focused to your niche..... Ergo a lake rod for chironomid fishing...
Rather than just going and buying what is effectively the same as what you have...... TFO, Reddington, St Croix.... they are all the same "Class" of rod if you base it on money alone. If you have a few rods maybe it is time to start dialing in specific rods for specific purposes....

All said, a good fly shop will let you cast the rod in the parking lot... they will have a parking lot line...
poke around shops for new rods and keep an eye on the EE on Flybc

But to me it sounds like you need a delegated lake rod..... and a trip to Merritt in the spring!

Salty
01-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Hahaha now I know how the new guys feel here that post a thread asking if a Savage Axis would be a good first rifle. And then end up buying a Sako :mrgreen: Lots to think about thanks again guys. I'd figured a 9 foot would be lots but the chironomid fishing talk has me paying attention to the benefits of a 10, I haven't done much of that type of fishing yet.

avadad
01-04-2019, 09:14 PM
I used to work at a fly shop...St. Croix makes a fine rod that won't break the bank. A 10' rod is nice to have on big water.

RINO
01-06-2019, 09:37 AM
https://mayhemflyfishing.com/

Badlands62
01-06-2019, 06:49 PM
Check out the Vision Onki, I have 3 in various wt. Great rods.

01-09-2019, 03:46 PM
Salty, my buddy went to buy a Ruger American and came home with an X-Bolt.

but the fact is you have delegated river rods and multi purpose rods...
if you are fishing lakes ... it only makes sense to me for you to buy a delegated lake rod....

As far as I am concerned the dollar factor rod you are looking at are all pretty equal in quality. Guys online might rave about one thing or another, have good or bad experiences.... but I bet they will all be equal ish....
it is the purpose of the rod and the cast stroke of the user that make the biggest differences..

Ergo I am a river guy ... I have a 4 and an 8 ..... my wife has a 4 and a 6...... I wouldn't go buy a 7..... makes no sense.... I am however constantly wanting a Spey Rod...
any way... lol.... have fun!