PDA

View Full Version : Salmon in the rivers?

COHO
09-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Any Salmon showing up in the rivers (lower Vancouver Island)? I have not looked in the Cowichan River. I did get some info on some fish showing up in the Nitnat River.

COHO <((---(

smeegle
09-12-2007, 11:07 PM
ive been cathchin em fairly consistantly on the stamp if ur inclined to drive up island

Sooke Hunter
09-13-2007, 08:23 PM
The San Juan River in Port Renfrew is pretty good right now for springs and coho......caught quite a few last weekend and the weekend before.

BlacktailStalker
09-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Puntledge is stacked with springs (about 6,000) and coho.
A few chum are already coming in, which is very early.
Cant wait for the Oct.1 coho opening !!!!!!!!!! Lotsa action then.
Got the Islander all lubed up and the Sage 3113 dusted off!

Ciskman
09-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Hey cool! Im fairly new to the Island and would love to do some salmon fishing...how do you fish for them?? What kind of rod and tackle? I came from the prairies so my knowledge of this is nil

BlacktailStalker
09-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Well if you're going to get into river fishing, kill 2 birds with one stone.
Get a set up that you will use for salmon and steelie fishing (phenominal steelhead fishing on the island)
Drift fishing is the method I use, although lots of guys chuck hardware wioth a spin cast set up.
I run a 10'6" Sage 3113 steelhead rod (a 10' will do but 10'6" is ideal) paired with an Islander Steelheader single action reel.
I also have a St Croix 10' with a shimano Catalla for smaller rivers, but the single action Islander makes for a WAY more eventfull scrap.
IF you're just learning, it may be easier to go to a level wind reel like a shimano catalla or calcutta, Abu Garcia also makes a variety of level winds, but whatver you get, spend the $ on a reel before the rod.
A solid reel with a bullet proof drag is essential.
Fenwick makes a good mid class rod at an affordable price, as well as St Croix.

Now for presentation I normalyl run a dink float (foam, cylindrical type) with pencil lead and a gamagatsu hook.
I run 25lb mainline because I chase some early running scrappy steelies in the later months.
Since you're in the valley go into Gone Fishin/ across from the driftwood mall and talk to Dan, he'll show you everything you need to know and probably put a package together for you.

You can get by without, but will find you have more opportunity if you're in waders and wading boots. They're pretty much a neccessity.

Ciskman
09-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Right on! thanks for the tips

COHO
09-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Looking for any word on the Cowichan River! Any Salmon showing up?

stubbs
09-26-2007, 10:19 AM
last i heard cowichain river closed for fishing

Monashee
09-29-2007, 10:22 PM
I'd say the salmon are very happy - currently it is raining heavily this evening, wind gusts at 44 knots at Cape Lazo. Power was out for almost an hour this afternoon.... it must be autumn.