PDA

View Full Version : Non shedding hunting breeds?

twoSevenO
12-30-2018, 12:02 AM
A fella on IG was telling me his German wirehaired pointer is non shedding but I'm not sure if they all are or just his. Internet seems to say that they do shed.

Anyone have any more first hand info or know of any other hunting breeds that do not shed?

A German short haired pointer has always been a dog I've wanted but we simply cant have a large dog that sheds that much inside the house. Just not going to happen.

Not looking for a bird dog per-se but an outdoors companion dog that would do long hikes, some shed hunting stuff like that.

Appreciate the info! Thanks.

lip_ripper00
12-30-2018, 05:11 AM
Well my mutt is GWP x lab and dust bunnies are just a way of life!

Brez
12-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Does anyone still breed hunting poodles?

BCBRAD
12-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Airedales do not shed, they make good companions and are tough.

The first two years are a challenge with them, they require a kind firm hand.

We have had 3 and will probably get another in the spring.

mastercaster
12-30-2018, 09:28 AM
My griff sheds minimally,,,probably would be less if I brushed her more than once a month but it must depend on the breeder's dogs because I've heard of some that have coats that shed and the hair has a tendency to matt. Mine dog's hair doesn't matt so in that regard she's very low maintenance. Super versatile dogs!

But if you decide on a griff be prepared to exercise the dog and get them off leash for at least an hour a day,,,more is better! And they like companionship,,,,not a dog to be left at home all day while their people are off at work. It's not fair to the dogs of this breed.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4865/44546689720_5ca60508ae_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2aSrqSu)0-23 (https://flic.kr/p/2aSrqSu) by Brent Davy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/150607128@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1949/30992405448_d8ca84b578_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PdGbo5)IMG_1441 (https://flic.kr/p/PdGbo5) by Brent Davy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/150607128@N03/), on Flickr

If you're not going to hunt the dog get one of the third generation doodles,,,,,supposedly they're non shedders. Portuguese water dogs don't shed either and they like the great outdoors.

wrenchhead
12-30-2018, 10:07 AM
Iv got a first generation labradoodle.....when hes shaved I dont notice much hair in the house, in the winter we dont shave him and he sheds a bit. From what a gather the second gen dogs dont shed.
As far as a hunting dog, I didnt know what to expect. But I have been plesently surprised. Great drive and nose for upland birds, and lots of energy to go. Hes 1 1/2 now and we were successful on a couple pheasents and some grouse this year.

twoSevenO
12-30-2018, 12:01 PM
My griff sheds minimally,,,probably would be less if I brushed her more than once a month but it must depend on the breeder's dogs because I've heard of some that have coats that shed and the hair has a tendency to matt. Mine dog's hair doesn't matt so in that regard she's very low maintenance. Super versatile dogs!

But if you decide on a griff be prepared to exercise the dog and get them off leash for at least an hour a day,,,more is better! And they like companionship,,,,not a dog to be left at home all day while their people are off at work. It's not fair to the dogs of this breed.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4865/44546689720_5ca60508ae_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2aSrqSu)0-23 (https://flic.kr/p/2aSrqSu) by Brent Davy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/150607128@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1949/30992405448_d8ca84b578_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PdGbo5)IMG_1441 (https://flic.kr/p/PdGbo5) by Brent Davy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/150607128@N03/), on Flickr

If you're not going to hunt the dog get one of the third generation doodles,,,,,supposedly they're non shedders. Portuguese water dogs don't shed either and they like the great outdoors.

Thanks for the info. We both work your standard 9-5, not much i can do about that. Certainly not bringing the dog to the office with me lol.

Great looking dog. Looks like a good worker. Thanks for sharing

Foxton Gundogs
12-30-2018, 12:44 PM
Poodle crossed with Labs or Goldens is a crap shoot, when you mix genes you never know what you will get until they mature. I met a lady with a lab golden cross at the ferry once her dog looked like a Chessy/GWP cross when I talked to her she explained it was a "Labradoodle"(I use the word grudgingly) She bought the dog for her husband as a non shedding hypo allergenic retriever. The dog she says sheds like crazy, there allergic daughter can't go near it, it hates water and won't retrieve even a tennis ball. When you put a bunch of genes in a blender and turn it on you never know how the mix will come out. If someone wants a non shedding hypo allergenic Gundog the only sure bet is a working Poodle. Google "Hunting Poodles"

https://super-novas-standard-poodles.weebly.com/uploads/1/8/4/6/18463906/8675911.jpg?774

lowball
12-30-2018, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info. We both work your standard 9-5, not much i can do about that. Certainly not bringing the dog to the office with me lol.

Great looking dog. Looks like a good worker. Thanks for sharing
Your probably not in a good situation to keep a dog at the moment then. In my opinion, that is too long to leave a dog!

Foxton Gundogs
12-30-2018, 01:01 PM
Your probably not in a good situation to keep a dog at the moment then. In my opinion, that is too long to leave a dog!

Absolutely not, as long a you give the dog a good run/training twice a day they will be fine. I suggest an outside fenced run with a good kennel for the time you are at work, 6x14 with a concrete pad and roof will do nicely. Quality productive time and good exercise is what counts not the hours you are home(within reason).

Brez
12-30-2018, 01:09 PM
Absolutely not, as long a you give the dog a good run/training twice a day they will be fine. I suggest an outside fenced run with a good kennel for the time you are at work, 6x14 with a concrete pad and roof will do nicely. Quality productive time and good exercise is what counts not the hours you are home(within reason).

True that. There wouldn't be too many dogs out there, much less hunting dogs, if the criteria were to be home all the time.

twoSevenO
12-30-2018, 01:24 PM
True that. There wouldn't be too many dogs out there, much less hunting dogs, if the criteria were to be home all the time.

x2 .... it would basically just be retired people that own dogs. I don't know a single dog owner in my life that isn't away a minimum of 8 hrs per day for work.

Ferenc
12-30-2018, 02:05 PM
Interaction with little ones is a must .... we had a German short hair pointer and a little girl at the time... you think your busy now ..... but it’s rewarding ... little children and dogs ... best thing ever !!!

mastercaster
12-30-2018, 02:42 PM
x2 .... it would basically just be retired people that own dogs. I don't know a single dog owner in my life that isn't away a minimum of 8 hrs per day for work.

This is mostly true,,,you do what you can do but there are definitely breeds out there that can handle being away from their owners much, much better than others. When I did all my research on wire-haired pointing griffons the thing I saw over and over again was that they were not suited to families that had to keep them in a kennel for long periods of time or for people who could not keep them active and mentally stimulated on a daily basis.

This is why I waited until I retired to get one. In fact, I waited 12 years before getting another pup knowing I didn't have the time to properly care for one and train her the way I wanted to. I'm on a couple of different griff web sites and I hear of the social and behaviour issues these dogs will have when left alone for long periods of time in a crate or dog run on their own and how long it takes to house break them. Many of them have to be re-homed. I'm always surprised to hear the issues that can occur. I can't believe how well my pup turned out because of the daily interaction what with me being around her for most of the day.

She was house broken in 2 1/2 weeks, has yet to destroy any household items, chew any shoes or other clothes, or swallow things she shouldn't. A tired, mentally stimulated dog is a well behaved dog. Haven't had vet bills yet except for spaying and her annual vaccinations. Other griff owners have said the exact opposite likely because their dogs are not exercised enough or have been left on their lonesome throughout the day.

Because of the time I've spent with her in the early stages of her life I can leave her for 5-6 hours at a time with the run of the house and never have to worry that she'll get into mischief because she knows I'll be running her at some point in the day. It's rare that I'm away from her for more than 3-4 hours, though.

There are lots of other hunting breeds that do not require the same man hours when it comes to companionship as a griff. I'd recommend one of those. Griffs are just too high on the energy scale for a lot of people. I know of two owners that have both a griff, who's a few years older than their lab, and they both say the energy level of the griff is three times higher than their lab.

I think for your case, any of the retrievers or spaniels might be a better fit, if you're looking for a hunting dog. I used to leave my britts on their own for longer periods of time. Of course, all these dogs shed a lot. The versatiles tend to need more people time throughout the day,,,,probably not a good choice. As far as other breeds go, I wouldn't have a clue. I've only ever owned dogs that hunt; those that don't are just cats that bark. LOL

lowball
12-30-2018, 02:55 PM

Not really a matter of what you, or I think rather what the dog thinks. Lots of dog owners that should not be. I see it every day.

Foxton Gundogs
12-30-2018, 05:34 PM
Well Lowball I guess after 60 yrs of owning training, breeding and hunting, quality Lab. Cocker Golden and Springer gundogs my thoughts and experience don't really mean anything. Sorry for Trying to a helpful answer to a question of a potential new dog owner with what I have learned by interacting with dogs literally all my life. Far better to be home 365/24/7 and leave your dog chained up in the back yard all the time. BUT at least you will not be away from home. Lab Guy, what say you??

mastercaster
12-30-2018, 05:57 PM
I figure about the best way to figure out if you've got a happy, stimulated, well behaved dog is to leave it at home on it's own for the better part of a day with free run of the house. If the dog isn't frustrated, under exercised, and has obedience training you should come home to a house the same way you left it. On the other hand, if you come home to any of these,,,,,,,,ripped up couch cushions, chewed on furniture, toilet tissue everywhere, pee on the carpet or bed, or any other household destruction than chances are you have an unhappy, bored dog that lacks exercise and training and is venting its frustrations.

Of course this is just an observation I have with the three birds dogs I've owned. I don't have have anywhere near Foxton's experience, especially with the breeds he's bred, trained, and dealt with. Mine is only with the versatile hunting breeds which may behave a little differently than the retrievers and flushers.

polar
12-30-2018, 06:27 PM
chill boys.... The poodle does everything...

5jackz
12-30-2018, 06:38 PM
Cocker Spaniel . Excellent companions and little to non existent shedding .

mastercaster
12-30-2018, 09:02 PM
chill boys.... The poodle does everything...

Never seen one point upland birds before.

Foxton Gundogs
12-31-2018, 08:28 AM
No your right there Brent, but one named O'Malley I used to shoot over may years back was a hell of a flushing dog.

Foxton Gundogs
12-31-2018, 08:30 AM
Cocker Spaniel . Excellent companions and little to non existent shedding .

Not sure what strain of Cocker you have had but the English Cockers we raised were walking hair storms. lol

12-31-2018, 09:31 AM
I have a standard poodle. I've not trained her for bird hunting, but I'm sure she could have been. I do bring her along on many of my hunts. So far she's been in on successful deer, elk, caribou black bear and grizzly hunts. Where she's useful to me is tracking. Her nose is incredible, and she finds wounded game with ease.

Poodles definitely have a negative stigma attached to them mostly because of their ridiculous show haircuts, but they are intelligent, highly trainable, and have fantastic impulse control.

Grumpa Joe
12-31-2018, 10:10 AM
Norwegian Elkhounds. :wink: Someone once told me that they didn't shed. Then clarified that later saying that they only shed twice a year, for 6 months at a time. :lol: That said I have a 32 month old female and just added a 14 week old male. Great dogs, faithful, intelligent, hardy, stubborn at times but they are great companions around the house and up in the mountains. I just have to vacuum their parts of the house every morning to prevent the hair bunnies from taking over. Takes about 15 minutes. Doing that you can barely tell that there are dogs in the house.

ACB
12-31-2018, 01:26 PM
Tony J Peterson wrote a really informative article in Gun Dog magazine on hunting Poodles in the June/July 2018 edition. He writes quite highly of Rich and Angie Louter of Louter Creek Hunting Poodles (redhuntingpoodles.com). In the article he writes that the Standard Poodles are hypoallergenic but doesn't say anything about shedding. With shedding dogs you have to have a Dyson Vac., speaking from experience.

12-31-2018, 01:50 PM
Tony J Peterson wrote a really informative article in Gun Dog magazine on hunting Poodles in the June/July 2018 edition. He writes quite highly of Rich and Angie Louter of Louter Creek Hunting Poodles (redhuntingpoodles.com). In the article he writes that the Standard Poodles are hypoallergenic but doesn't say anything about shedding. With shedding dogs you have to have a Dyson Vac., speaking from experience.

Poodles don't shed. The trade-off is they require a haircut about every two months or they look like a sheep

jagen mit DDrs
12-31-2018, 03:24 PM
The threadstarter doesn't want a Bird dog per se so why is everybody listing Birddog breeds?For a hunting companion any medium small to medium sized mix or purebred will do.Buying a bona fide hunting dog needs way more training and time due to their innate drive.

Rainer

Brez
12-31-2018, 04:45 PM
The threadstarter doesn't want a Bird dog per se so why is everybody listing Birddog breeds?For a hunting companion any medium small to medium sized mix or purebred will do.Buying a bona fide hunting dog needs way more training and time due to their innate drive.

Rainer

'cause he was talking GWPs and GSPs, so most of us assume that he'd be somewhat interested in birds. If not, you are correct, any cheap proven poodle cross would do

Jordan f.
12-31-2018, 08:22 PM
We have a 1year old Pudelpointer.

I have dog allergies.. this pup and me can nap on the couch for hours and it doesn't bother me one bit. Next to no shedding either. Tons of natural drive and great versatility.

mastercaster
12-31-2018, 09:07 PM
We have a 1year old Pudelpointer.

I have dog allergies.. this pup and me can nap on the couch for hours and it doesn't bother me one bit. Next to no shedding either. Tons of natural drive and great versatility.

In terms of a pudelpointer's coat, I think they are a lot like griffs in that regard. Some owners of these breeds say their dogs shed minimally like you and me with our dogs. That being said, I've talked to a few PP owners who said their dog sheds so much they could make a second dog. Heard the same thing about griffs from various owners. It obviously comes down to the breeding. In any event, I'm sure glad mine doesn't shed much since she's on the couch or the back seat of my truck all the time.

Got any photos of your PP?

Vortex hunter
12-31-2018, 09:19 PM

A lady and husband I rented off from Valley they owned Airedales for years actulley owned that property at tamihi bridge 45 or 50 acres from what I remember , they told me how amazing they was for chasing bears zero fear in them . But they also stated some require alot of work

Jordan f.
01-01-2019, 06:58 PM
In terms of a pudelpointer's coat, I think they are a lot like griffs in that regard. Some owners of these breeds say their dogs shed minimally like you and me with our dogs. That being said, I've talked to a few PP owners who said their dog sheds so much they could make a second dog. Heard the same thing about griffs from various owners. It obviously comes down to the breeding. In any event, I'm sure glad mine doesn't shed much since she's on the couch or the back seat of my truck all the time.

Got any photos of your PP?

Me too!

Trying to post a photo but can't figure it out. You might have seen puppy photos on BSBC (TNOF now) when I first got him (my other forum tag CF8889).

xfactor
01-01-2019, 11:01 PM

got a breeder you can recommend? did you hunt with them?

twoSevenO
01-02-2019, 01:01 AM
Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I had no idea poodles were as popular as this thread would make it seem. You're right... their ridiculous show haircuts do them absolutely no favors in being taken seriously as anything but a pampered house dog.

I do know they are highly intelligent. They've always done right up there with German shepard's and border collies on intelligence tests.

I originally suggested GSP GWP simply because I know they are very capable dogs overall and because I REALLY like the way those dogs look.

I dont plan on getting into upland bird hunting so pointing isnt all that important to me.

Do you guys shed hunt with your dogs? I know many would be reluctant to unleash their dogs in wolf country but how about areas where there are only bears, coyotes and cougars? Do you feel comfortable unleashing the dog for shed hunting or does everyone keep them on a leash at all times?

01-02-2019, 07:22 AM
Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I had no idea poodles were as popular as this thread would make it seem. You're right... their ridiculous show haircuts do them absolutely no favors in being taken seriously as anything but a pampered house dog.

I do know they are highly intelligent. They've always done right up there with German shepard's and border collies on intelligence tests.

I originally suggested GSP GWP simply because I know they are very capable dogs overall and because I REALLY like the way those dogs look.

I dont plan on getting into upland bird hunting so pointing isnt all that important to me.

Do you guys shed hunt with your dogs? I know many would be reluctant to unleash their dogs in wolf country but how about areas where there are only bears, coyotes and cougars? Do you feel comfortable unleashing the dog for shed hunting or does everyone keep them on a leash at all times?

I shed hunt, hike, mountain bike, snowshoe with my dog off leash all the time. But my dog almost always stays within sight, and recalls 100% of the time. That doesn’t mean bad things couldn’t happen,but it’s unlikely.

When researching breeds, talk to breeders about off leash adventures. Some breeds are not trustworthy off leash, and having to use a leash every time you’re hiking would be a major pain imo.

Jordan f.
01-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Our guy is off leash any chance we get. Start em young and do not slack on recall training.

We spent a few days winter camping over the Christmas holidays. He just hung around camp and sniffed for birds when we were hiking. Never on a leash.

albravo2
01-02-2019, 10:31 AM
A few years ago I took my two lab/bloodhound females up for an offleash redneck dogwalk (I stay in truck, they run) in the Squamish Valley. They don't play nicely with other dogs, so their only opportunity for off-leash exercise is when we aren't likely to encounter anyone else. I saw a huge dog coming down the road toward us and I figured I was about to see a dog fight then realized I was looking at a wolf. I jumped out my door and opened the back door and called both dogs. Usually their recall is terrible (hounds are stubborn) but as luck would have it they jumped right in. No sooner did I close both doors on the truck that the woods around us erupted into wolf howls. They were minutes away from a very nasty encounter with a pack of wolves that didn't seem to give two shits about the smell or sight of me or my truck.

I tell that story to demonstrate it can happen but I know the odds are very thin and I've never considered keeping them on a leash since for their own safety. If I see fresh sign or hear them in the near distance that is different, but shed hunting or bird hunting I would never consider keeping them leashed. I've seen a lone wolf and have pictures of a cougar on my trail cam up near my cabin but the dogs are always off leash up there.

Elkhound
01-02-2019, 02:55 PM
Norwegian Elkhounds. :wink: Someone once told me that they didn't shed. Then clarified that later saying that they only shed twice a year, for 6 months at a time. :lol: That said I have a 32 month old female and just added a 14 week old male. Great dogs, faithful, intelligent, hardy, stubborn at times but they are great companions around the house and up in the mountains. I just have to vacuum their parts of the house every morning to prevent the hair bunnies from taking over. Takes about 15 minutes. Doing that you can barely tell that there are dogs in the house.

You never notice when they are outside dogs lol

mastercaster
01-02-2019, 03:36 PM
You never notice when they are outside dogs lol

The thing is outside dogs are never the true companions that inside dogs are ,,,,that is unless you spend just about all your time outside.

Grumpa Joe
01-02-2019, 03:46 PM
In Dave's defense his first Elkhound stayed primarily outside because they were on the Sunshine Coast and had a larger property, so he was not totally aware of the shedding. Now that he is in the Lower Wasteland, along with me, the dogs spend a fair deal of their time indoors. Elkhounds are equally in their element indoors and out. They love to cuddle and are incredibly entertaining when in the outdoors, especially if there is snow. I just made the post because we have a running joke hat Elkhounds don't shed.

5jackz
01-02-2019, 08:24 PM
Not sure what strain of Cocker you have had but the English Cockers we raised were walking hair storms. lol

American Cocker Spaniel - smaller than the English Springer spaniel . Has a shorter snout as well . My wife would trim her coat about every 5 weeks . Beautiful dog but had to be put down at only 6 1/2 years of age due to cancer .

ACB
01-03-2019, 04:58 PM
A few years ago I took my two lab/bloodhound females up for an offleash redneck dogwalk (I stay in truck, they run) in the Squamish Valley. They don't play nicely with other dogs, so their only opportunity for off-leash exercise is when we aren't likely to encounter anyone else. I saw a huge dog coming down the road toward us and I figured I was about to see a dog fight then realized I was looking at a wolf. I jumped out my door and opened the back door and called both dogs. Usually their recall is terrible (hounds are stubborn) but as luck would have it they jumped right in. No sooner did I close both doors on the truck that the woods around us erupted into wolf howls. They were minutes away from a very nasty encounter with a pack of wolves that didn't seem to give two shits about the smell or sight of me or my truck.

I tell that story to demonstrate it can happen but I know the odds are very thin and I've never considered keeping them on a leash since for their own safety. If I see fresh sign or hear them in the near distance that is different, but shed hunting or bird hunting I would never consider keeping them leashed. I've seen a lone wolf and have pictures of a cougar on my trail cam up near my cabin but the dogs are always off leash up there.
I do the same thing, walk my dog in the bush, but not with the truck. I go up a forest service road or into a old logging slash, lots for the dog to sniff and piss on. I always pack my bear spray just in case. My dog wears an E collar and is whistle trained, comes to the whistle on recall. I'v never had a problem, but you can't be too careful.

Cedar Cowgirl
01-03-2019, 07:35 PM
American Cocker Spaniel - smaller than the English Springer spaniel . Has a shorter snout as well . My wife would trim her coat about every 5 weeks . Beautiful dog but had to be put down at only 6 1/2 years of age due to cancer .

There are two lines and two distinct types of Cockers. English Cockers and American Cockers. These come in both field and show variety. English Cockers closely resemble English Springers where as the American Cocker Field Bred are closer to the English Breed and the American Cocker Show dogs are as you describe.

English Cocker (Field)
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/P2DCYE/english-field-bred-english-cocker-spaniel-with-pheasant-in-the-united-states-taken-by-randy-janke-who-released-this-photo-on-32006-21-march-2006-original-upload-date-the-original-uploader-was-floridan-at-english-29-kerygma-cockers-echo-amp-pheasant-P2DCYE.jpg (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwipwbKUidPfAhWZFzQIHeN0DU0QjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.alamy.com%2Fenglish-field-bred-english-cocker-spaniel-with-pheasant-in-the-united-states-taken-by-randy-janke-who-released-this-photo-on-32006-21-march-2006-original-upload-date-the-original-uploader-was-floridan-at-english-29-kerygma-cockers-echo-amp-pheasant-image208049282.html&psig=AOvVaw0-qdsnHamfgKIaa0v4__qV&ust=1546655005394488)

English Cocker (Show Bred)
https://res.cloudinary.com/fwkc-production/image/upload/c_fit,dpr_3.0,f_auto,g_center,h_430,q_auto,w_768/v1/fwkc/import/759 (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi3n7PRidPfAhV9HjQIHW40C8sQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.westminsterkennelclub.org%2F breeds%2Fenglish-cocker-spaniel&psig=AOvVaw3wQPMc0uAgzENhxrOHCw-H&ust=1546655155481299)

American Cocker (Field Bred)
http://www.coveyflushkennels.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Chief_w-pheasant_pile.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjqrI_6idPfAhXqIDQIHbH0DBQQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coveyflushkennels.com%2F&psig=AOvVaw19-fp2Dv5DdOnlEpkyyvSf&ust=1546655232305866)

American Cocker (Show Bred)
http://puppyfinder.org.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/american_cocker1.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjGiqCpitPfAhUS2VQKHQaCCqkQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.puppyfinder.org.uk%2Fgundogs% 2Famerican-cocker-spaniel%2F&psig=AOvVaw1AoS2GkHMBb8RyqdAqZ0d-&ust=1546655349549844)

This on shedding from The Kennel Club

Shedding. Cocker Spaniels shed a LOT. Make sure you don't mind hair on your clothing and furnishings.

Foxton Gundogs
01-03-2019, 08:17 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly right.

mastercaster
01-03-2019, 11:43 PM
Them show dogs look pretty prissy! Do they ever go outside in the muck and rain? LOL

Here's my pig pen, stuck ass deep in mud, going for a drink of water:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4814/31401166207_f8d69aec6d_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PQPbHn)IMG_0347 (https://flic.kr/p/PQPbHn) by Brent Davy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/150607128@N03/), on Flickr

elch jager
01-04-2019, 10:02 AM
.....Got any photos of your PP?

Please do not post pictures of your PP on this forum... feel free to PM each other. :neutral:

Elkhound
01-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Please do not post pictures of your PP on this forum... feel free to PM each other. :neutral:

LMAO....... now that was hilarious

mastercaster
01-04-2019, 10:02 PM

My buddy's wife took a photo of his and he asked her, all smug and like, what her plans were for it. She said she was going to have it enlarged! Shut him up. LOL

Jordan f.
01-04-2019, 10:58 PM

Got a laugh outta me!

bc sportsman
01-16-2019, 12:37 PM
I have an Airedale...great dog and very birdie and very interested in deer etc. just like every other dog. The difference is its a very low shed, great fun dog and family pet but not hard wired like GSPs etc. I got it from breeder who raises them for hunting and agility. He trains them for birds from about 3 weeks old by putting chukar feathers in their beds, introducing the birds to them at about 5 weeks old, having them chase and play with birds in an enclosed kennel. I couldn't be happier with my dog. Will be getting it trained to find and retrieve birds and sheds, as well as (on leash of course) point out big game and then track. Puppy is 9 mos right now and obedience going well.

Foxton Gundogs
01-16-2019, 07:36 PM

Rainer

Did you check the title of the thread?" Non shedding hunting breeds? (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?149708-Non-shedding-hunting-breeds/page3) " Pretty much answers your question.

huntingfamily
01-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Not looking for a bird dog per-se but an outdoors companion dog that would do long hikes, some shed hunting stuff like that.

Appreciate the info! Thanks.

I guess you missed this part.

jagen mit DDrs
01-16-2019, 07:48 PM

Did you check the title of the thread?" Non shedding hunting breeds? (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?149708-Non-shedding-hunting-breeds/page3) " Pretty much answers your question.

A person shall also read what the threadstarter writes....it pretty much should answer all the questions,

Rainer

Squamch
02-04-2019, 07:47 AM
Has anyone said standard poodle yet? Non shedding, strong hunting heritage, although tough to find a working line these days. The one we had when I was a kid was a great dog.

Edward Teach
02-08-2019, 12:19 PM
A German short haired pointer has always been a dog I've wanted but we simply cant have a large dog that sheds that much inside the house. Just not going to happen.

A bagless vacuum is your friend. :grin: Even better if it comes with the "pet attachments".
Oh and don't get chew toys that can roll under furniture. Dog will try to dig it out...
Kongs are really good. They hold up well to the abuse and don't roll in a straight line (ie: under furniture). Plus you can fill them with treats to keep him occupied.

twoSevenO
02-08-2019, 01:39 PM
A bagless vacuum is your friend. :grin: Even better if it comes with the "pet attachments".
Oh and don't get chew toys that can roll under furniture. Dog will try to dig it out...
Kongs are really good. They hold up well to the abuse and don't roll in a straight line (ie: under furniture). Plus you can fill them with treats to keep him occupied.

No. I'm not going around the house vacuuming twice a day to keep things clean. Besides, that stuff gets in your furniture, clothes, car seats ... everywhere. I'm just NOT going to deal with it, even if it means i never own a dog that I actually want. I just won't put up with that.

My gf has a tiny 7lb Havanese and that thing doesn't shed and my house looks exactly the same as before the dog moved in ..... no hair anywhere. It's fantastic.

Good advice above, though, we might decide for a poodle/airdale type of dog in the end.

Again, we did talk to 2 guys who have wirehaired pointers and they don't shed, supposedly. I'm going to have to look into the breeders they got them from as well since that seems like an excellent option too.

Iron Glove
02-08-2019, 01:52 PM
My gf has a tiny 7lb Havanese and that thing doesn't shed and my house looks exactly the same as before the dog moved in ..... no hair anywhere. It's fantastic.

Sister and Brother In Law bred Havanese for a few decades, not my kind of dog but yes, not much to clean up after.
We have Tollers and they shed enough in a week to knit a sweater with. :mrgreen: We don't have any carpet and try to avoid fleece clothing.

Salty
02-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Lots of good advice here. I'll just add a couple things.

As a life long dog owner usually a couple at a time the criteria for having a dog in a home where both people work can work. BUT whatever dog you zero in on read ALL the literature because there are most definitely dogs that will not do well at all in this situation. Please do your sanity and the dog a big favour and read the fine print as it where. There's tons of good info on any given breed on what they will like and thrive in and situations where the reverse is true.

Case in point we got a Catahoula Leopard dog last year. Very little shedding btw but don't even think of this breed in your situation. It was stated in the literature clearly that they're extremely high energy dogs and need a lot of exercise and they can not deal with being alone for long periods of time. They're working dogs used for herding (our dog's background) and hunting hogs actually where they come from in the deep south. If you don't have things for them to do, they're above average in intelligence and they'll make their own schedule for the day of what to do, and it won't end well. They'll dig, chew and generally wreck stuff if they're alone and stressed. I'm gaining ground with ours slowly but steadily but she's still by a long shot the highest maintenance dog I've ever been around, and absolutely needs an hour of off leash balls to the wall exercise daily or again, they'll make up their own schedule.

There are breeds that can do OK being alone all day, lots of breeds. But any dog from a working dog back ground in general will likely have problems. Again, read up on the breed and not just one source. Good luck with the search, and the journey.

jagen mit DDrs
02-08-2019, 05:35 PM

Maybe you should look into a Finnish Spitz.

simonvancouver
02-12-2019, 08:36 PM
I have a standard poodle. I've not trained her for bird hunting, but I'm sure she could have been. I do bring her along on many of my hunts. So far she's been in on successful deer, elk, caribou black bear and grizzly hunts. Where she's useful to me is tracking. Her nose is incredible, and she finds wounded game with ease.

Poodles definitely have a negative stigma attached to them mostly because of their ridiculous show haircuts, but they are intelligent, highly trainable, and have fantastic impulse control.

My poodle also found my deer, that due to rain i lost the blood trail. she has retrieved a few grouse too.
Never trained but good to get out and about with her