PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting from a elevated blind

5jackz
12-29-2018, 02:10 PM
Had success with a 6 point bull this last season . My hunting buddy and I spent two very cold days 25' up in treestands before success on the third day . We were contemplating putting up a elevated blind for next year . I know this seems to work well with WT , but does anybody know if this will work with elk ? Thanks .

Ron.C
12-29-2018, 02:21 PM
can't see why it wouldn't work if its set up and left with enough time for the elk to adjust to it before you hunt out of it. I set up a ground blind before my hunt this year and had elk walking around it within two weeks of it being there

gamehunter6o
12-29-2018, 02:59 PM
An added safety feature is when cow calling Mr Grizzly can't get you.

PS wear a safety harness.

Bugle M In
12-29-2018, 03:35 PM
There was a time where we took 10 bull elk (9 being 6 pt) that were taken in a 5 yard circle.
Bedding/Wallow area near the river where they liked to rest in during the day it seemed.
Game trail led out to this one spot that they liked to take to see what the was doing the bugling/cow calling.
So, I don't see why not?
If you have an area that seems to be like what I said above, go for it.
I guess salt and feed wouldn't hurt.
But, how well is this place located so that others don't come upon it???

As for 25' tree stands, there great.
In Germany, they use these all over for all sorts of game, with feed plots right there.
Did some Wild Boar hunting with success in these stands while hunting at night in total dark (lights are not allowed).

They have windows which you could raise up or keep down on all sides (or at least 3).
The entire inside was Carpeted to keep sound down and add some insulation.
Definitely a fun way to hunt, imo.

Bugle M In
12-29-2018, 05:02 PM
Heres a link to something similar I was in, except it had way more carpeting.
Those Germans do take pride in their work!
Granted, it is a different type of hunting.
Still hunting isn't that common there for many reasons.
https://steemit.com/travel/@synapse/german-treehouses-hunting-blinds-shelters-i-found-while-exploring

5jackz
12-29-2018, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the replies , especially the above link . We were hoping to put it up early in the spring to allow them to definitely get used to it . Hopefully stay nice and warm out of the elements and hopefully a nice bull again .

tomahawk
12-29-2018, 05:57 PM
An added safety feature is when cow calling Mr Grizzly can't get you.

PS wear a safety harness.

Mr Griz will scale that 25 feet to the stand in seconds if he wants to

Wild one
12-29-2018, 05:59 PM
Know of guys who built them on their farms and take elk

This on private or crown land?

If on crown I don’t recommend it

250 sav
12-29-2018, 06:21 PM
Mr Griz will scale that 25 feet to the stand in seconds if he wants to

Not with a bullet in it's forehead

5jackz
12-29-2018, 06:42 PM
On crown land . About 750 metres off main road . We have seen other blinds over the years on crown land , that is why we decided to go this route after freezing out in the elements . Some of the aforementioned blinds were even logged around when the time came for logging . Still left standing by the loggers .

Wild one
12-29-2018, 06:47 PM
On crown land . About 750 metres off main road . We have seen other blinds over the years on crown land , that is why we decided to go this route after freezing out in the elements . Some of the aforementioned blinds were even logged around when the time came for logging . Still left standing by the loggers .

Dont recommend it as it advertises your spot like a neon sign and will attract hunters that would normally walk by

stopped making blinds except for brush pile blinds years ago because of this. Word gets around and spots get burnt out

Slinky Pickle
12-29-2018, 07:01 PM
We will be building two elevated blinds for whitetail hunting next year. Our plan is to keep them portable so they will be on skids. In order to keep it from blowing over in high winds we'll be placing lock blocks on each end.

http://i67.tinypic.com/296nk95.jpg

BC Cruiser
12-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Pretty confident it’s not legal to build a structure on crown land without authorization.
This post from the BC gov explains it.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016FLNR0123-001031

5jackz
12-29-2018, 10:38 PM
Pretty confident it’s not legal to build a structure on crown land without authorization.
This post from the BC gov explains it.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016FLNR0123-001031

This looks like a permanent structure . Had nothing like this in mind .

5jackz
12-29-2018, 10:41 PM
Will follow up with a phone call to BC Front Counters to verify and place my findings here

J_T
12-30-2018, 08:56 AM
I would agree, that a structure, whether portable or not, may be in contravention of activities allowed on Crown Land, without the appropriate permit.

I hunt from a stand a lot, it's a very efficient way to view wildlife activity without being detected.

I would suggest, anyone wanting some exposure/education to ground blinds and tree stands consider taking the International Bowhunter Education Program, IBEP. A 2 1/2 day course. Hands on blind and tree stand chapter. Site/stand location, safety and shooting effectively from it. You dont have to be a bowhunter to benefit from this course.

Slinky Pickle
12-30-2018, 10:30 AM
For the record, ours are on private land.

BCHunterFSJ
12-30-2018, 12:21 PM
I have now taken 9 bulls from the same blind on crown land! So yes it works...
Of course location is of primary importance.
All were called in!

gunpower
12-30-2018, 02:07 PM
I hunted with a fellow a number of years back,( he escaped east Germany ) But anyway, he told a number of us fellow hunters, that in germany it is a apprentice program that they have to take before their are allowed to hunt . If I remember correctly, 7 years ! One of those app. are that when you are hunting in Germany, you have to hunt from a tree stand so that when you shoot. the slug will always end up in the ground with in 100 yards. Population is very dense , so safety is the number one factor !

Bugle M In
12-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Funny side not here:
When they carpet these things all over inside, over time, little creatures of the night find their way in there for a home.
Couldn't understand how on the ceiling inside, the carpet looked so "lumpy"??
Then, suddenly those lumps started to move:shock:??
Next thing you know, I am eyeball to eyeball with a Bat!
Worst, the damn thing decided he didn't like the idea of me in there.
So, I got to enjoy a Bat flying around this small hut, repeatedly bouncing into my head etc.
Finally opened a window, but he still didn't get it!!??
Then I picked up one of the seat cushions, and trapped him in the corner.
Took the German Trilling (3 barreled gun), and posted between the wall and the cushion so the little ******* couldn't get out
anymore.
At least not during my hunt for the night til next morning.
That was a long couple of minutes!!

elknut
12-30-2018, 09:33 PM
That"s hilarious ....Dennis

HighCountryBC
12-30-2018, 11:20 PM
Tree stand or blind wouldn't be my first choice for elk. Or second...Or third.

It's one thing if you're hunting private land or agricultural where elk are consistently transitioning from timber to cultivated fields each day. It's a whole other game when you're actively calling and chasing elk in the mountains. Couldn't think of anything more frustrating than calling to a hung up bull when you're committed to being 25' in the air.