PDA

View Full Version : 2 Person, 4 Season Tents

shleebs
12-27-2018, 01:17 PM
Hello,

Looking to buy a new 4 season tent to use next hunting season. Was wondering if anyone has tried the MEC tent - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-590/TGV-2-Person-4-Season-Tent . Alternatively, if you have any other suggestions.

Also, any recommendations for a bag type (synthetic or down) and what I should be looking at to be able to withstand weather from around 0 down to -15 or -20 in BC.

I'll be taking all of the above in a backpack so weight and ability to pack is important.

Thanks.

srupp
12-27-2018, 01:23 PM
Hmm highly recomend mountain hardware..I have a 4 season tent..and sheep lightweight..both have been flawless.
cheers
Steven
Go synthetic for bag..but still warm if it gets wet

jac
12-27-2018, 02:05 PM
I’m looking for a tent for our up coming sheep also. There is a tent on amazon called nature hike it’s a copy of the big Agnes fly creek has good reviews and price. I bought a Sierra design down back country bed sleeping bag and it’s really nice and lite

Yuritau
12-27-2018, 02:11 PM
I used to have a MEC Gothic Arch tent and synthetic -12° MEC mummy bag (and not even from their high end range). I did a camp out at Big White early one February using both, and several snow cave camps again at Big White with the bag. Only time I was ever cold was the one time I built the snow cave wrong, lol.

The only thing I didn't like about the Gothic Arch tent was that it wasn't a free-standing dome. If you didn't peg and string it, it collapsed flat. Other than that one design flaw, it was an amazing tent. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a MEC tent again.

BgBlkDg
12-27-2018, 02:54 PM
What is your REALISTIC budget, I have considerable experience with gear of this kind and can offer some ideas. The best gear IS worth the costs IF you use it every year for a long period.

albravo2
12-27-2018, 03:20 PM
Hilleberg. Buy once, cry once.

srupp
12-27-2018, 03:44 PM
What is your REALISTIC budget, I have considerable experience with gear of this kind and can offer some ideas. The best gear IS worth the costs IF you use it every year for a long period.

I will as always agree with Dewey.period.however his pockets are far deeper than mine..lol with that comes incredible knowledge.
Cheers
Steven

Sharpish
12-27-2018, 03:59 PM
Get a down bag. Nothing is warmer or lighter. The high end stuff will have waterproof material or hydrophobic down.

shleebs
12-27-2018, 04:11 PM
For a tent, I would like to ideally spend between $500 - $700. I looked at the Mountain Hardware Access tent and then found the MEC which seemed to have good reviews. I'm looking at 2 person tents but would likely be staying in it alone during hunting season to have a bit of extra space.

I'm not opposed to spending more if there is a major difference in performance and I feel it is good value. This will be my first season where I do overnight backpacking trips where I can't bring a trailer in or set up base camp outside of my truck.

nicktrehearne
12-27-2018, 05:28 PM
I've been running the MSR remote 3, 4-person tent, this year and it's been awesome for two guys. A bit extra weight but worth the extra room if you're not solo. They also make a remote 2 person... It's expensive but bomb-proof

tuner
12-27-2018, 06:33 PM
Hilleberg. Buy once, cry once.
^^^^^^ most definitely this !

kenet
12-27-2018, 09:57 PM
Consider layering your sleeping bag system. I have a synthetic overbag and down innerbag. Works well for me. More versatile than 1 big winterbag. Synthetic outerbag is where the condensation ends up, and keeps the inner down drier. I use an MEC synthetic overbag, a Feathered Friends down innerbag (which is really a "half bag", only goes up to my armpits). When really cold I sleep in my down jacket as well. I've found this to keep weight and cost down, and it works in a range of temperatures.

Salix
12-27-2018, 10:27 PM
I recommend a 3 person tent if you are going to have 2 guys sharing on a regular basis. It’s a bit extra weight but nice even on solo hikes.
When I did more winter camping years ago I had a synthetic bag but in recent times have gone with a down bag (now down quilt) with a small down blanket that I put inside when need that little extra. I picked the down blanket up at Costco a few years back but have seen them there since then. Main reason I use down is that I do more summer/ fall hiking than winter camping these days.

wos
12-27-2018, 11:34 PM
I just went through all the confusion of buying a new tent. I ended up with a teepee style so i could add a stove jack and stove. I have only used it once but it was in the snow and i am more than happy with my choice. Its made over seas and cost about 1/4 the price of the exact tent with a name brand on the label.

ryanonthevedder
12-27-2018, 11:48 PM
My order of importance is bag, tarp, tent. I have a a -5 bag that I’ve owned for a number of years and it’s nothing special, but the cold weather keystone is my old army surplus down liner. It also has a cotton liner that goes inside of it. I have slept tentless down to -30c comfortably. The second thing is having a good tarp. It easily doubles as a tent and if weather gets sour you aren’t limited to your tent as your only dry area. Lastly the tent. It’s nice to get out of the wind, and is great for keeping the bugs out, but for general survival... meh. You just don’t want one where your gear is going to be pressed up against the walls, so go big.

Bugle M In
12-28-2018, 01:09 PM
I'm a Mountain Hard wear fan.

hickman
12-28-2018, 01:27 PM
MEC tents come at a good price but the design is sometimes not at par with other brands.
There are different options. I have a Big Agnes model discontinued which is roomy for two and good in snow. Go to stores and check tents out. They need to work for you in the environment that you are using it for.
As for sleeping bag down all the way and a synthetic overbag if needed for very cold temps. A good 4-season sleeping pad goes a long way for warmth.

steve-r
12-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Ive been looking at backpacking tents for next season, and then started looking at combining a goretex bivy sack with a Neoair pad, synthetic -9C bag, with a DD Hammock 3m x 3m tarp. With all the tiedown points on the tarp, it can also be configured into a floorless tent for 2 using hiking poles (see multiple Youtubes) .
i guess its personal preference re tent vs bivy/tarp....anyone else choose the bivy/tarp route? Seems a bit more versatile for similar weight.
found this military issue goretex bivy made by Tennier https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMP71BY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wos
12-28-2018, 07:20 PM
Ive been looking at backpacking tents for next season, and then started looking at combining a goretex bivy sack with a Neoair pad, synthetic -9C bag, with a DD Hammock 3m x 3m tarp. With all the tiedown points on the tarp, it can also be configured into a floorless tent for 2 using hiking poles (see multiple Youtubes) .
i guess its personal preference re tent vs bivy/tarp....anyone else choose the bivy/tarp route? Seems a bit more versatile for similar weight.
found this military issue goretex bivy made by Tennier https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMP71BY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had nothing but condensation issues with using a bivy. Pitching a tarp imo is way more versatile.

steve-r
12-28-2018, 07:57 PM
Ya ive read some bivy reviews that discuss condensation problems, but moreso when one is breathing inside the zippered up bivy, and also with bivy's that were not breathable goretex. I was thinking of leaving the bivy open at the head, keeping my breath outside, wear a toque, and combining the tarp overhead for weather protection.

wos
12-28-2018, 08:28 PM
My bivy is gortex made by tiaga. Nothing but a wet bag by morning. Not worth the money. Thats just my experience.
I have used a tarp for years. Way more comfortable than a bivy. Remember the weather can change in an instant in the mountains. Snow or rain and a bivy will = you going home early.

steve-r
12-28-2018, 08:38 PM
My bivy is gortex made by tiaga. Nothing but a wet bag by morning. Not worth the money. Thats just my experience.
I have used a tarp for years. Way more comfortable than a bivy. Remember the weather can change in an instant in the mountains. Snow or rain and a bivy will = you going home early.
Appreciate the real world experience.

wos
12-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Appreciate the real world experience. and more on the topic i have recently moved away from sleeping under a tarp aswell and now have a ultralight teepee. I think it will give me a little more versatility above the tree line and in bad weather. The option of adding a wood burning stove is also a bonus.

srupp
12-28-2018, 10:26 PM
Hmmm disagree..lol..most important is reliable tent..wont leak...or rip...flying in for sheep..getting wet is a disaster, and you can count on wind.if your tent leaks..which sleeping bag becomes more a moot point ?
I have a 2 person mountain hardware tent..approx 2 pounds..not going to do much better than that I expect.
The 2 person is not sized for 2 folks my size.lbut is for 2 average sized guys..or better yet guy and gal.
The materials have changed 10d..20 d..no experience with this material..
In 15 years using 2 different tents by mountain hardware..not 1 drop of water..and using a Hillenberg..which developed condensation issues. .my fault? Or tent..
My 4 season tent had 1 foot of snow on top. .no issues..
I usually sleep warmer..built in insulation..R..20...have 4 different sleeping bags?.3 which are light weight sheep camp tents..I believe my go to sleeping bag is also a mountsin hardware
Steven

KBC
12-29-2018, 12:10 AM
I just went through all the confusion of buying a new tent. I ended up with a teepee style so i could add a stove jack and stove. I have only used it once but it was in the snow and i am more than happy with my choice. Its made over seas and cost about 1/4 the price of the exact tent with a name brand on the label.
So where do we find this tent?

REMINGTON JIM
12-29-2018, 12:30 AM
I will as always agree with Dewey.period.however his pockets are far deeper than mine..lol with that comes incredible knowledge.
Cheers
Steven

Steven you got to QUIT SHARING a tent with Dewey ! :lol: RJ

wos
12-29-2018, 09:07 AM
So where do we find this tent?

Its called a flames creed. You can get them from ali express. I also got a small one man tent at the same time. Do a Google search and you will find some pictures and some stellar reviews by the hiking community.

KBC
12-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Cool thanks!

Buck
12-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Exped Venus II good tent plenty of room for two exoskeleton style so can be set up so inside stays dry.Can be found on sale often.

jac
12-29-2018, 10:16 AM
This site sells that flames creed also sell the nature hike which I have used myself but I’m thinking of buying this year. I have not used this site before just found it this morning

https://www.ulsierra.com/product-category/tents/

twoSevenO
12-30-2018, 04:02 AM
Hmmm disagree..lol..most important is reliable tent..wont leak...or rip...flying in for sheep..getting wet is a disaster, and you can count on wind.if your tent leaks..which sleeping bag becomes more a moot point ?
I have a 2 person mountain hardware tent..approx 2 pounds..not going to do much better than that I expect.
The 2 person is not sized for 2 folks my size.lbut is for 2 average sized guys..or better yet guy and gal.
The materials have changed 10d..20 d..no experience with this material..
In 15 years using 2 different tents by mountain hardware..not 1 drop of water..and using a Hillenberg..which developed condensation issues. .my fault? Or tent..
My 4 season tent had 1 foot of snow on top. .no issues..
I usually sleep warmer..built in insulation..R..20...have 4 different sleeping bags?.3 which are light weight sheep camp tents..I believe my go to sleeping bag is also a mountsin hardware
Steven

Which mountain hardware tent?
I have a MH two person and it's nowhere near 2 lbs. I'd really like to know which one you have that is 2lbs ....

twoSevenO
12-30-2018, 04:07 AM

What bivy model? Do you have a pic?
I'm curious why you had condensation. The gore tex should breathe well enough to let it all escape when a person is at rest. Are you maybe breathing in/out into the bivy and creating condensation that way?

I use a Mountain Hardware waterproof sleeping bag and all the perspiration generated throughout the night escapes just fine. And I dont think the MH breathable fabric breathes as well as gore tex.

Laurp99
12-30-2018, 04:59 AM
Ya ive read some bivy reviews that discuss condensation problems, but moreso when one is breathing inside the zippered up bivy, and also with bivy's that were not breathable goretex. I was thinking of leaving the bivy open at the head, keeping my breath outside, wear a toque, and combining the tarp overhead for weather protection.

This is my Bivy set up below, it's an Outdoor Research Bivy Shelter which comes with a small pole which creates an arc over your head, there's also enough room inside for some storage as well, most of the condensation will be over your head on the mesh. I've Winter camped with this and my Siltarp set up for years. I have 2 sleeping bags, a Western Mountaineering Ultra light -7c and a bomb proof Taiga Gortex barrel bag -28c for extremes. Other than building a snow cave it's one of my favorite set ups. If I was 20 years younger I'd buy a Hilleberg tent. :lol:

https://gallery2.flybc.ca/d/64215-2/IMGP4655.jpg

srupp
12-30-2018, 05:59 AM
I have a MH two person and it's nowhere near 2 lbs. I'd really like to know which one you have that is 2lbs ....

I will dig the model number out, name
Looked at 3 ..2 man tents..reviews said 2 pounds 5 oz..mnfr says 2 # 2 oz
Steven

pro 111
12-30-2018, 11:30 AM
Hello,

Looking to buy a new 4 season tent to use next hunting season. Was wondering if anyone has tried the MEC tent - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-590/TGV-2-Person-4-Season-Tent . Alternatively, if you have any other suggestions.

Also, any recommendations for a bag type (synthetic or down) and what I should be looking at to be able to withstand weather from around 0 down to -15 or -20 in BC.

I'll be taking all of the above in a backpack so weight and ability to pack is important.

Thanks.
I use the Tarn 2 from MEC for sheep.. Its been very good. never ripped and keeps u dry.. Only thing is really its meant for a guy and his wife.. lol..or two smaller adults. dad and his kid etc..

but nice n light and works well.
Chris.

srupp
12-30-2018, 01:24 PM

the tent I was referring to is the Helion 2..no longer made..?

I have written out on a sheep list..without aluminum pegs the original came in at 2pounds 4 ounzes...with extra bags for everything,plus 12 pegs..and lots of tie out guy ropes some were claiming approaching 4 pounds..this also may be the upgraded model with metal clips? I bought one of the first models and they came with tough plastic attatchments.big one person tent or small 2 person tent..think I bought mine in 2008..2007
CHEERS

steven

wos
12-30-2018, 02:56 PM
What bivy model? Do you have a pic?
I'm curious why you had condensation. The gore tex should breathe well enough to let it all escape when a person is at rest. Are you maybe breathing in/out into the bivy and creating condensation that way?

I use a Mountain Hardware waterproof sleeping bag and all the perspiration generated throughout the night escapes just fine. And I dont think the MH breathable fabric breathes as well as gore tex.

No idea what model its not printed on it first Time i used it i thought it was condensation from my breath. Next time i just used it more like a outer shell with my head sticking out. Still had condensation issues. My experience with a bivy is not positive. Its one piece of gear i have scratched from my list

twoSevenO
12-30-2018, 08:19 PM
the tent I was referring to is the Helion 2..no longer made..?

I have written out on a sheep list..without aluminum pegs the original came in at 2pounds 4 ounzes...with extra bags for everything,plus 12 pegs..and lots of tie out guy ropes some were claiming approaching 4 pounds..this also may be the upgraded model with metal clips? I bought one of the first models and they came with tough plastic attatchments.big one person tent or small 2 person tent..think I bought mine in 2008..2007
CHEERS

steven

Yes, around 4lbs all in makes more sense for a small unit with 3 poles.
I bought one in 2005 that is also discontinued .... the "Alcove 2". I'm still using it.

It's 5lb all in, but it is a much roomier tent. Back then that was considered fairly lightweight. It is starting to fall apart and i don't think it would do well in a storm. I can see the seam tape falling off the inside of the seams. Time to upgrade.

https://www.rei.com/media/product/732204

DStewart
12-31-2018, 07:03 PM
If I could have afforded a Hilli I would have gone that route, but I ended up going with a memo hornet and it is awesom for someone 6’ and under for how light it is. I would not hesitate to buy a 2p dagger or larger nemo model

BriarPatch
12-31-2018, 07:18 PM
Just my opinion and not trying to have a go at anybody, but why would any hunter or fisherman consider buying any product from MEC or any other company that is so anti Hunting and supports anti hunting/fishing organisations.

After their last decision to stop selling any Vista products I took everything we had ever purchased back & got a full refund including membership and told them exactly why

Ohwildwon
12-31-2018, 08:09 PM
This is my Bivy set up below, it's an Outdoor Research Bivy Shelter which comes with a small pole which creates an arc over your head, there's also enough room inside for some storage as well, most of the condensation will be over your head on the mesh. I've Winter camped with this and my Siltarp set up for years. I have 2 sleeping bags, a Western Mountaineering Ultra light -7c and a bomb proof Taiga Gortex barrel bag -28c for extremes. Other than building a snow cave it's one of my favorite set ups. If I was 20 years younger I'd buy a Hilleberg tent. :lol:

https://gallery2.flybc.ca/d/64215-2/IMGP4655.jpg

What do you use for a sleeping pad?

pro 111
01-01-2019, 06:38 PM
Just my opinion and not trying to have a go at anybody, but why would any hunter or fisherman consider buying any product from MEC or any other company that is so anti Hunting and supports anti hunting/fishing organisations.

After their last decision to stop selling any Vista products I took everything we had ever purchased back & got a full refund including membership and told them exactly why
had my Tarn two for 12 years. they wernt so bad back then.
I hear you though. I dont shop there anymore either.

BgBlkDg
01-01-2019, 07:04 PM
The bivy in the photo above is an Integral Designs Unishelter, my spare is this model and my backpacking bivies are two original ID event models, Calgary-made, not the Chinese crap sold under that storied name now.

I have owned and used a lot of mountain tents, but, now buy Hilles as they are the best I have used and are actually worth the high cost.

For a 2 man, I would get the two door models and mine are a 2009 Saivo and a 2017 Niak. I had two Soulos, but, sold them and these two I have will do me for all the bushtime I have left.

MSR and Mountain Hardware make good tents and cost far less.

Laurp99
01-01-2019, 08:25 PM
The bivy in the photo above is an Integral Designs Unishelter, my spare is this model and my backpacking bivies are two original ID event models, Calgary-made, not the Chinese crap sold under that storied name now.

Thx for the correction, I do have gear made by OR but certainly not the bivy, not sure where I got that from.

What do you use for a sleeping pad?

I have a Therma-rest Prolite self inflating pad, I've never been cold sleeping on it! There are many newer, warmer rated mattresses and pads but this works for me.

madcalfe
01-09-2019, 10:53 PM
check out stone glacier. for about 1100$ you can get a 4 season tent around 4.5 lbs, and also a tubbed footprint and mesh insert. so mesh insert with fly for early season hunts and then convert back it back to the 4 season material for later season hunts. or hillenburg :)

kootenaycarver
01-21-2019, 10:32 PM
I've have used a four season MEC tent for a number of years and it has preformed GREAT, through snow storms to heavy rain and wind. Read the reviews, I don't think you will be disappointed. I personally like, and use a down sleeping bag. Western Mountaineering are top shelf.

steve-r
01-21-2019, 11:13 PM
Has anyone tried one of the cuben fiber, or dyneema fabric tents? Claims of 100% waterproof, tough as nails, and some of them getting under 2 lbs....pricey though. Too good to be true?

Islandeer
11-17-2019, 09:42 PM
I've have used a four season MEC tent for a number of years and it has preformed GREAT, through snow storms to heavy rain and wind. Read the reviews, I don't think you will be disappointed. I personally like, and use a down sleeping bag. Western Mountaineering are top shelf.
Firing this up again.... we ran hubba hubba up north in September and they failed in a severe wind,hail, snow,and rain event. I’m looking at the tgv 2 man 4 season. Any feedback on this model? Thanks.

btr
12-10-2019, 10:55 PM
Hilleberg!!!!!

srupp
12-11-2019, 12:31 AM
Hmmmm on my recomendation one of our members bought a Mountain hardware tent..not sure the model.
it failed.not my expectation at all..and certainly jo my experience .the individual was treated very fsirly by mountain hardware..HOWEVER this was once they were home from their trip..can not remember what failed. .pole.seemsealing..?
But thought I would add this unfortunate real life update.
My back yard is about 4 inches of snow and - 13 celsius overnight..would not hesitate to use my winter 4 season Mountainharware in these conditions..hmmmm now to see if Susan will bring coffee out ?..lol
Srupp

jac
12-11-2019, 07:37 AM
My tent failed in mid August this year. I’m buying a hillieberg for next season forsure!!

shleebs
12-11-2019, 09:06 AM
I see this thread is back up. I ended up going with the MEC TGV2 4 season tent and it worked great for me this season. Went on a few early season hunts and didn't find it to be too warm. Also ran it pretty hard on a few later season hunts including one that we ended up getting stuck in a big snow storm and it performed great. The only downfall is that it only has 1 vestibule so ideally you would run this as a one man tent if you want to keep everything inside at night. I don't have much else to compare it to but that was my experience. Would definitely recommend this to others.

Islandeer
01-23-2020, 08:29 PM
Hilleberg!!!!!
Lol!
Too heavy, too much, too nice!! Takes all of the adventure out of the backcountry!!

180grainer
01-23-2020, 08:39 PM
Would definitely recommend this to others.
It would help if your recommendation came with the intended use. What were you doing when stuck in a big snow storm that the tent performed great?

shleebs
01-23-2020, 10:29 PM
It would help if your recommendation came with the intended use. What were you doing when stuck in a big snow storm that the tent performed great?

Not sure if I understand what you're trying to ask here... I was on a hunting trip, half way through my hike up a mountain in about a foot of snow when we set up camp and stayed in the tent overnight. I thought my comment was fairly clear.

180grainer
01-23-2020, 11:09 PM
Not sure if I understand what you're trying to ask here... I was on a hunting trip, half way through my hike up a mountain in about a foot of snow when we set up camp and stayed in the tent overnight. I thought my comment was fairly clear.

Did the frame hold up under the weight of the snow for example? Was it easy to set up in a snow storm? Did the ground sheet keep your bedding dry? How much does it weigh?

shleebs
01-24-2020, 12:01 PM
Did the frame hold up under the weight of the snow for example? Was it easy to set up in a snow storm? Did the ground sheet keep your bedding dry? How much does it weigh?

I wouldn't have said I recommend it and that it performed great if any of these things you've mentioned were an issue. Here is the link if you'd like to check the spec: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-590/TGV-2-Person-4-Season-Tent

BriarPatch
01-24-2020, 12:17 PM
Why would any hunter buy anything from MEC or any other company that supports anti hunting Initiatives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Islandeer
01-24-2020, 12:34 PM
Anti hunting initiatives can be found in many areas of retail commerce. For that matter lack of support for hunting abounds in areas such as tourism,and travel amongst others. My point is that buying openly from suppliers like Mec could in fact be more beneficial to our movement than you might think. We need relationships with those that oppose as it creates opportunity to tell our story.

I like some of Mecs gear but not some of their principles regarding hunting for instance. Some of their ideas regarding environmental protection in general are acceptable to me, but not all of them.

Our movement could be stronger if there was some back and forth communication with some of these groups, such as Mec.

They might be interested and shocked by the amount of gear hunters ring up in their stores.

BriarPatch
01-24-2020, 12:50 PM
Several years ago I was in a MEC store & they were trying to secure donations to purchase land for everybody to use, when I asked about hunting they were shocked but proudly told me that a % of sales went to this project, I stopped buying from them.

When they stopped selling Camelback products I found everything that I had ever purchased and took it back to them and got a full refund on everything including membership.

If all hunters did this then they would get the message but instead some would rather save a few pennies even if a % goes against their beliefs.

As regards other companies myself and my family now do not buy from any organisation that supports/donates or has any connection with anti hunting, fishing or firearms.

To each his own but I personally refuse to give my business to companies that support beliefs that go against mine.

Frank grimes
01-24-2020, 01:23 PM
I see this thread is back up. I ended up going with the MEC TGV2 4 season tent and it worked great for me this season. Went on a few early season hunts and didn't find it to be too warm. Also ran it pretty hard on a few later season hunts including one that we ended up getting stuck in a big snow storm and it performed great. The only downfall is that it only has 1 vestibule so ideally you would run this as a one man tent if you want to keep everything inside at night. I don't have much else to compare it to but that was my experience. Would definitely recommend this to others.
that looks like a good option. I’ve been considering a 4 season tent or a floor less option for later season. My current tent is great in the summer and earlier fall, not sure how it would fair in a snow storm though. It’s a mountainsmith mountain dome 2. It’s super roomy for 1 person. Abit bulky and not ultra light, but it was on clearance and it works.

Marc
02-15-2020, 05:30 PM
I picked up a 4 season MSR Access 2 tent I'm hoping to use next fall for a back pack caribou hunt. May take it up to the mountains locally as we still have snow up there to test the gear out before I take it to the big woods lol. It's not the lightest tent around but it's almost 2 lbs lighter then my two man 3 season tent :|