PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry bear spray when hunting?

Big Chris
12-22-2018, 08:24 PM
New hunter from ontario here. I become a bc resident Jan 1 and want to scout some areas for next year's deer season. I figure I'll bring the 12 gauge for small game. Being from ontario we only see black and brown bears the size of a big German Sheppard maybe and they spook pretty easy. Even a sow with Cubs will bolt as soon as she sees or smells you. Never seen a grizz before. Talking to hunting buddies at work it seems like everyone has a grizzly story lol. Do you guys carry bear spray or just rely on your rifle?

Wild one
12-22-2018, 08:33 PM
Personally I don’t carry bear spray well hunting with a firearm/bow, camping, or fishing. I have never seen the need to.

everyone has there own opinion

Jelvis
12-22-2018, 08:35 PM
I'd go rifle up the shoot, And on safety, in areas where your allowed to carry a rifle ,to shoot at bears etc -- the bear spray I never used -- :?:

Jel -- good luck hunter in BC with all of us together -- hunting and hiking and scouting -- jogging and walking the wilderness -- Good Luck Big Chris

mpotzold
12-22-2018, 08:47 PM
I would never rely on bear spray to stop a charging bear.

If using a shotgun make sure you have some good quality solid slugs along.And forget about buckshot-it simply lacks penetration.

A big caliber rifle is best. I personally use the 45/70 Guide Gun loaded with 540 gr. bullets, a 375H&H loaded with 300 gr. bullets & sometimes a Defender loaded with 3"mag Brenneke slugs when retrieving game.
We do have a couple cans of bear spray at camp in case a curious bear appears.

Bustercluck
12-22-2018, 09:00 PM
I carry bear spray. I seem to carry it around quite a bit more than I thought I would. I throw it in my pack when I’m out on my bike with the kids or when I’m fishing. I have a 20 gauge backpacker I also carry around if I’m in the bush. I would prefer to have a nice big revolver like the 500 s&w, but that’s never going to happen.

twoSevenO
12-22-2018, 09:04 PM
Nope. Short pump action when scouting out of season in grizz country.

In blacktail country I carry nothing

Gateholio
12-22-2018, 09:04 PM
My bear spray is 250 grains and flies at 2800 FPS

Greenthumbed
12-22-2018, 09:17 PM
I spent 20 years working in the bush and never carried bear spray. I had one or two occasion that it may have come in handy, but for the most part making noise keeps the bears away. While bow hunting and scouting on the other hand, I carry spray. One is way quieter while hunting and the chances of bumping into a bear is way more likely. My hunting partner and I ,while scouting both carry spray, one of us packs a shotgun and the other guy packs the spotting scope and tripod.

Brew
12-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Never carry bear spray just a rifle when scouting or hunting and a handgun when I’m working.( I have a permit to carry the handgun).

g2mike
12-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Bear spray in grizzly country especially when solo. On the hip as it doesn't so much good in the pack.

Jordan f.
12-22-2018, 09:35 PM
I hunt almost exclusively in grizz country. I always carry it.

Too me, it's better to have both. Some times a rifle is out of reach. Sometimes you get knocked around. Sometimes an attack doesn't present a safe shot. For these reasons, bear spray is always attached to my chest via bino harness straps. Even when carrying a 12g with slugs. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Foxton Gundogs
12-22-2018, 09:51 PM
Pepper is for after the bear is on the BBQ. Personally if not hunting I carry my holy crap cannon. 45-70 customized double gun throwing 540 gr "train stoppers"

HarryToolips
12-23-2018, 12:06 AM
Unless I'm bow hunting I have my rifle on me year round in the bush...bears get spray in the form of lead...

sumonda
12-23-2018, 12:18 AM
Bear spray stays in the truck or at camp.. when I remember to bring it. I'm never not armed with a rifle or short shotty when in bear country. I've spent some time out in the bush, not as much as some to be sure - but never had a bear encounter that rattled me,, fingers crossed it stays that way. lol

Drillbit
12-23-2018, 12:28 AM
If i'm not hunting (with a rifle), I always have a trapper 30-30 handy when in the bush/on the river.

Better to have and not need, than to not have.

Watched some drunk guys spray each other at a pit party one night and decided that can spray wasn't good enough to protect me or my kids.
I'll stick with lead spray.

hunter1947
12-23-2018, 06:43 AM
Yes I do carry bear spray at all times never have had to use it todate but its nice to know you have it with you at all times..

jaybe14
12-23-2018, 07:51 AM
Bear spray is better than nothing... If I can I bring both gun and bear spray.
If its only bear spray I can bring I also bring a big knife, there is definitely a chance you could be using this as bear spray isn't a guarantee to stop an animal.

Another thought.. I've had wolves come after me and bear spray would not have been as great you'd really want a shotgun (which I had and it worked great).

Also you need to watch your wind with spray. If you get it back into your face deep in the brush and a predator is after you not a good situation...

Just keep your expectations of what it does realistic. Its a pepper spray that works well on curious bears. Its a toss up in other scenarios.

Rhyno
12-23-2018, 08:19 AM
I hunt almost exclusively in grizz country. I always carry it.

Too me, it's better to have both. Some times a rifle is out of reach. Sometimes you get knocked around. Sometimes an attack doesn't present a safe shot. For these reasons, bear spray is always attached to my chest via bino harness straps. Even when carrying a 12g with slugs. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

This! I have a holder that attaches to my mystery ranch bino harness. A buddy and I were charged and killed a grizz still coming full stream at 13 y last year. It took a shot from each of us to drop her. I like the idea of a back up, I am not to cool or tough to carry bear spray.

REMINGTON JIM
12-23-2018, 09:43 AM
This! I have a holder that attaches to my mystery ranch bino harness. A buddy and I were charged and killed a grizz still coming full stream at 13 y last year. It took a shot from each of us to drop her. I like the idea of a back up, I am not to cool or tough to carry bear spray.

2 shots of Bear Spray killed a G Bear ? WOW :shock: :tongue: RJ

kootenaycarver
12-23-2018, 09:48 AM
I always carry bear spray on my belt, especially when I'm not able to pack a gun. One hell of a lot more comforting to have bear spray with you, than waving your fly rod at a cranky bear. It could be the best $50 you can spend. A couple of years ago, 2 guys from Fernie, B.C. were walking up a mountain trail to check a trail cam. One had a rifle strapped to his pack and the other carried bear spray. They were charged at very close range. The fellow with the bear spray was knocked down a steep bank with the grizzly on top of him. As the bear was mauling him ,he managed to spray it with the bear spray. This stopped the attack on him. Though badly chewed up, both guys survived and were able to get out for medical help. I'm sure they will both be carrying bear spray in future.

decker9
12-23-2018, 10:10 AM
I find my dog is a better side arm then bearspray. She’s saved my arse twice now from grizzlys. The second time, there’s a 99% chance myself and my dad would have been bear food, was no time to even think about pulling a rifle, or bearspray. If I didn’t have my dog with me all the time tho, I would certainly consider packing it.

Busterpayton54
12-23-2018, 10:15 AM
After using 3/4 of the large, new can of counter assault on my own 50lb dog in 3 or 4 bursts from about 2 feet way directly into his face, mouth, eye and nose. All he did was shake his head and get back into the fight. The spray was essentially useless. I had to end the fight by swooping in and picking him up immediately after spraying him once I recognized the pattern.

This was the friendlyiest dog on on the planet protecting me from another dog.

Useless on him, so would I expect better on an animal 10 times its size and conditioned to a rough life fighting and killing to survive?.... nope.

Maybe a curuous bear but then again that one doesn't need spraying.

Enraged animal? It'd be the last thing of reach for.

dougan
12-23-2018, 10:36 AM
I have a gun .... much more effective!

Big Chris
12-23-2018, 11:06 AM
I'm new to bc from ontario, where is grizz country here? I hear the kootenays, northern BC and the coast are heavily populated. Not so much the okanagan though. Next year I will be hunting around merritt in the fall.

Rhyno
12-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Haha, true its was a couple of lead pills that killed her but I liked the idea of a back up if I got knocked down.

albravo2
12-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Best bear defence is the one you actually carry.

For me, that usually boils down to my Leatherman, which is just a bit better than fists but i always have it. I have bear spray and a range of firearms that would be excellent bear protection but I'm not scared enough to always carry them when I wander into the bush.

Foxton Gundogs
12-23-2018, 11:38 AM

Now that's funny right there

IronNoggin
12-23-2018, 11:43 AM
... Being from ontario we only see black and brown bears the size of a big German Sheppard maybe and they spook pretty easy. Even a sow with Cubs will bolt as soon as she sees or smells you.

First: We have Black Bears of proportions that will simply amaze you.
I have taken two well over seven feet in the past 2 years.
Both were also well over 500 pounds, and easily capable of inflicting some rather major damage should they be so inclined.
Grizz ain't the only BoogyMan out there!! ;)

Second: Having tested various forms of bear sprays out on actual bears when working for National Parks, I personally will never own nor carry the stuff. While it worked on a fair number of bears, where it failed was almost exclusively with large dominant males - the very last kind you want it to fail with. Really.
Others find it gives them some form of comfort, and a few have actually saved their own bacon by deploying the stuff.
But for me, protection comes in the form of a short double 12 gauge (with SLUGS!!) when bowhunting, or the 300 Weatherby when engaged in a rifle hunt.

Cheers & Welcome to BC!
Nog

mpotzold
12-23-2018, 12:03 PM
New hunter from ontario here. I become a bc resident Jan 1 and want to scout some areas for next year's deer season. I figure I'll bring the 12 gauge for small game. Being from ontario we only see black and brown bears the size of a big German Sheppard maybe and they spook pretty easy. Even a sow with Cubs will bolt as soon as she sees or smells you. Never seen a grizz before. Talking to hunting buddies at work it seems like everyone has a grizzly story lol. Do you guys carry bear spray or just rely on your rifle?

I too left Ontario in the spring of '65 & never looked back!

Here’s what they look like
You’re next!:-P
https://azureblob.faecdn.com/cdn/d/hex/i/most-dangerous-bear-grizzly.jpg

Recent Grizzly release-just imagine if the camera/tripod was you!
Fast is an understatement.
http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/this-grizzly-bear-release-is-terrifying-video/ (http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/this-grizzly-bear-release-is-terrifying-video/)

video
https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/9ioa2n/grizzly_bear_release/ (https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/9ioa2n/grizzly_bear_release/)

REMINGTON JIM
12-23-2018, 12:48 PM
My WIFE packs Bear spray BUT I pack a 12 gauge Shotty or a Rifle when in a Area of BEAR concern ! I will NOT even to BEGIN to depend on Bear spray to SAVE my hide ! RJ

Foxton Gundogs
12-23-2018, 01:32 PM
Bear Spray is like a leaky condom. It gives you a false sense of security while getting screwed

dhk
12-25-2018, 03:42 PM
12 gauge pump slug gun, short 12" barrel, check your back every so often for creepy, sneaky cats

RackStar
12-25-2018, 04:49 PM
No bear spray, just a good reliable hunting rifle.

12 gauge when just scouting camping fishing etc

Rieber
12-25-2018, 07:15 PM
I don't take bear spray when hunting but I do take bear spray when I fish the Vedder River. Just the sight of the small bear spray container hanging from my breast pocket of my fishing vest seems to eliminate confrontations and that's all I need it to do.

Attentive "Bears" change their disposition once they see and recognize a little bear spray dispenser. I've had it hanging on my best for 21 years now - no clue if it works.

RackStar
12-25-2018, 07:29 PM
I don't take bear spray when hunting but I do take bear spray when I fish the Vedder River. Just the sight of the small bear spray container hanging from my breast pocket of my fishing vest seems to eliminate confrontations and that's all I need it to do.

Attentive "Bears" change their disposition once they see and recognize a little bear spray dispenser. I've had it hanging on my best for 21 years now - no clue if it works.
The ol vedder has got this bad eh?

Rieber
12-25-2018, 08:44 PM
The ol vedder has got this bad eh?

Honestly, I can't even go there any more - it just stresses me out too much. Look, there area ton of honest fishermen but there are also too many asterholds that I can no longer keep my composure around. My knees and overall stability really hurts me too much to walk on river rock for long distances so I'm sadly limited to the heavy visited locations. I don't care - I won't go there anymore.

I have a few wonderful friends (one is Nog's late season crossbow buddy) that we go to a couple fabulous stillwater lakes from Spring to Fall which we hit almost every nice weather weekend. Then its reloading and flytying time until spring bear and stillwater season again.

Yup - no more time for Stelhead or salmon on the Vedder - and it's a shame that I won't go anymore and I'm only 20 minutes away from the river. Sad.

Squamch
12-25-2018, 08:48 PM
Lead bear spray. Chilli sauce stays in the kitchen

Ironbutt
12-25-2018, 11:22 PM
Lead bear spray. Chilli sauce stays in the kitchen

Thats about my feel on the matter. I’m sure there’s a percentage of bears that prefer some pepper on their human. Short shotgun w slugs.... shoulder,vitals,brain.

rageous
12-25-2018, 11:54 PM
Maybe I’m getting a little paranoid as I get older but this year was first year I carried bear spray on my backpack hipbelt all the time. I find on my back pack hunts my rifle is usually strapped to my pack and I’m using hiking poles to take weight off my weak knee.

With ever increasing grizzlies populations I carried spray on my moose hunt up north.
Literally only taking it off while sleeping.

I also found it not bothersome at all to carry on my belt.
Hearing campfire stories of guys getting knocked down by bears and rifle goes flying etc.

hunter1947
12-26-2018, 07:13 AM
Yep at all times I carry spray never know when you might not be able to shoot at a surprise attack

Ron.C
12-26-2018, 07:43 AM
to each his own.

not all bear attacks can be stopped or prevented with bear spray. Not all can be stopped or prevented with a firearm.

The way I see it, it is another option to have at your disposal.

Blockcaver
12-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Bowhunter so carry spray.

Downtown
12-26-2018, 12:51 PM

In consideration what your saying...................
Since you already have a 12 Gage make use of what you have. Most Grizzly charges are Bluff charges and if you stand your ground will bolt off before he is within 20 feet. Any closer let her fly with 00Buckshot or Slugs both will work but my preference would be Buckshot. You shoot from your hip and don't stop till you need reloading.

If you do use a Rifle and aim with your sights (open or Scope) and if I would be a CO I would charge you with an illegal kill because you where way to far.

One more thing.
At home, in a Gun shop or whatever most Guns work flawlessly. In a high stress situation like a Grizzly charge Guns tend to malfunction in various way, be shur your Iron works and you know how to handle it.

Cheers

Rieber
12-26-2018, 01:09 PM
So when I walking/stalking I'm ideally walking head on into the wind. So when a charging bear comes at me from the front dispensing pepper spray is going to really help that bear as I'll be blinded by the cloud of pepper - and won't be able to put up much of a resistance to the attack.

On a positive note, I'll be lightly pepper seasoned and that will make me more tasty to the bear.

hunter1947
12-27-2018, 05:29 AM
The way I think is having bear spray with you is better than not having it at all if you don't carry the spay with you
you have nothing if the bear is on top of you I would rather have the spay then noting at all

hawk-i
12-27-2018, 09:28 AM
Bear spray is for the dogs when walking in the sub division! :)

Busterpayton54
12-27-2018, 11:32 AM
I'd much rather have my Glock 20. I dream of a day we have real "common sense gun laws"

jac
12-27-2018, 12:02 PM
I’m not a good enough shot to shoot a bear with my rifle when it’s running at full speed. I carry Bear spray all the time, I have it and if I don’t carry on my belt it’s not going to help me if I’m in a jam!! From all the info I have read and watched online Bear spray is extremely effective. That being said I hope I never had to test it out

Rieber
12-27-2018, 12:30 PM
Yes - it's better to have the spray than not. It could make the difference in survival.

Plus if you manage to make your rifle inoperable in the field, at least you have some degree of protection insurance other than just your knife.

Jelvis
12-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Bear spray can come back into your face and eyes also don't forget -- When you get scared and in a hurry you spray with no thought or delay, then you spray ok?

Jelly Spray -- Back -- > the wind blows back into your face < -- then what? A grizz and spray now -- 2 deal with -- :evil: -- > Your pritty well Brooks and your Done :-|

MOWITCH SLAYER
12-27-2018, 01:01 PM
I always have bear spay with me. There is several instances were a rifle or shot gun well not work . suppose a bear has a companion down. to shot into the bear is crazy, who knows were that bullet well exit. Then most people would not shoot straight when charged by a bear. Once he is on you your rifle is about as good as a fly rod. Bear spray is designed for up close. it well fog a fairly large area. no hand gun is going to help at the last second , BEAR SPRAY WORKS.

Numenor604
12-27-2018, 01:11 PM
if the seriousness of the situation was still debatable, I would sooner spray a bear simply as a deterrent, to hopefully encourage it to turn away, before resorting to a firearm which I would then later have to explain to a CO. I would prefer not to kill a bear if I had the option, so this is why I carry spray as well as a rifle.

MOWITCH SLAYER
12-27-2018, 01:20 PM
Had a can of bear spray go off in my truck one day last year. Couldn't breath, couldn't see . Good thing i was parked at the time. i thought i was a goner. took over a hour before i could even stand,

wideopenthrottle
12-27-2018, 01:24 PM
I have seen 2 drunk guys get sprayed that were still able to inflict a fair bit of damage so I don't hold out a lot of hope for incapacitating a bear...I have also seen a failed deployment on a young cougar that resulted in me getting a good wiff of the cloud while trying to chase it away...story is on here somewhere

MOWITCH SLAYER
12-27-2018, 01:37 PM
pepper spray or bear spray . Huge difference

wideopenthrottle
12-27-2018, 01:50 PM
pepper spray or bear spray . Huge difference

not sure what the cops carry but it was bear spray used for the cougar..the guy spraying it was no more than 20 feet from a crouching cougar and the spray did not reach the animal due to the wind...this was at Skoocumchuk hotsprings ....the cougar had grabbed a guys puppy and the guy tackled the cougar pulling the puppy out of its mouth before realizing it was not another dog but a cougar that had his pup

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?118811-Man-knockouts-cougar-with-a-punch-then-shoots-it&highlight=skoocumchuck story here post #3

gmachine19
12-27-2018, 02:32 PM
Nope. 45-70 with 6+1 HSM bear load when I'm solo or retrieving game. A big hunting knife strapped to my belt all the time worse comes to worst.

caddisguy
12-27-2018, 03:14 PM
I carry bear spray when flyfishing because it's not really practical to pack the dominion grizzly compact (or even legal in provincial parks) That said, I always pack bear spray even when I am packing a firearm. It's not like you even really notice the bear spray on your belt. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Reality is that sometimes plan A fails. Maybe a firearm malfunctions, maybe the first shot wasn't a good hit and now its mauling you and you cant manoeuvre a rifle around, maybe it was leaning up against a tree while you were dropping a #2 when things went south. I might also try bear spray first if my hunting partner was getting attacked by a bear or cougar depending on angle, amount of movement going on and type or type of gun I was carrying. If you look at cases where a hunter has tried to shoot a bear off their hunting partner, it seems pretty common for the hunting partner to get hit, sometimes fatally as the bullet itself can change direction, send bullet or bone fragments everywhere, etc. Pretty sure I wouldn't be able to live with myself if a gun was all I had handy and my hunting partner died because all I had was a gun and it sent some fragments through their lungs.

I'm not a fan of bear spray and figure it probably only helps half of the time at best, but I can't really think of a logical reason not to have it as an option. Call me crazy, but I carry more than 1 way of starting a fire too :)

J_T
12-27-2018, 03:18 PM
I spent 20 years working in the bush and never carried bear spray. I had one or two occasion that it may have come in handy, but for the most part making noise keeps the bears away. While bow hunting and scouting on the other hand, I carry spray. One is way quieter while hunting and the chances of bumping into a bear is way more likely. My hunting partner and I ,while scouting both carry spray, one of us packs a shotgun and the other guy packs the spotting scope and tripod.
Agree. Pretty much my approach as well.

rocksteady
12-27-2018, 05:43 PM
Only when bow hunting.. never when i have a rifle slung

mpotzold
12-27-2018, 11:55 PM
Pepper spray is at least 5x as strong as bear spray.
Here are a couple of videos where spray failed or had little effect.

1)Protesters were sprayed at a very close distance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4

2)Never bring bear spray to a bong fight
https://www.1043thebreeze.ca/2018/09/11/man-fights-off-pot-store-robber-with-bong/

Gary Shelton says that guns are almost 100% effective in stopping a charging grizzly. Remember that the grizz can run over 50 fps.
Judging from many grizz maulings over the years & some deaths even when the bear was fully sprayed speaks for itself about the efficacy of bear spray.
There are also many examples where the spray failed & the gun saved the day!

Shoot & kill or spray & pray. You be the judge!

REMINGTON JIM
12-28-2018, 12:16 AM
Shoot & kill or spray & pray. You be the judge! ;-) I Like that one ! RJ

jac
12-28-2018, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;2061310]Shoot & kill or spray & pray. You be the judge! ;-) I Like that one

Dont forget option 3

shoot and miss and pray

REMINGTON JIM
12-28-2018, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;2061310]Shoot & kill or spray & pray. You be the judge! ;-) I Like that one

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************************

Dont forget option 3

shoot and miss and pray

With Spray that could happen ! for Sure ! :-) RJ

hickman
12-28-2018, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=jac;2061347]

With Spray that could happen ! for Sure ! :-) RJ

yes, praying helps like for everything ;-)
I always carry bear spray. If hunting with friend(s) we always make sure to have at least one spray in the group.
Unless you kill the grizz with the first shot without him getting to you, your chances with a spray are as good or better.
If you shoot one, you still have to explain that to CO.

wideopenthrottle
12-28-2018, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;2061355]

better the situation is explained by you than figured out by a forensics team

hickman
12-28-2018, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=hickman;2061364]

better the situation is explained by you than figured out by a forensics team

Nothing left by the time the forensic team gets there anyway ;-)
There will always be those that prefer to shoot and those that prefer to spray. But it starts before that...
I have seen a bunch of grizz this year and had a close encounter with a sow and 3 cubs. I am still sitting here and typing....
IMO, it is about the way you move and behave in grizzly country.

REMINGTON JIM
12-28-2018, 02:43 PM
Hey wideopenthrottle !

Thats NOT my POST ! I was framed ! :mad: RJ

wideopenthrottle
12-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Hey wideopenthrottle !

Thats NOT my POST ! I was framed ! :mad: RJ

I noticed it right away and deleted your part...weird how it showed your quote but not hickmans???

and now I am just noticing that my edit did not work?????:confused:

wideopenthrottle
12-28-2018, 02:52 PM
and I also just noticed my reply appears as a quote from hickman...confusing to follow...heheheheh

hickman
12-28-2018, 03:52 PM
and I also just noticed my reply appears as a quote from hickman...confusing to follow...heheheheh

Random Technology! Happy New Year to y'all - bear spray or not ;-)

303savage
12-28-2018, 04:48 PM
Bear spray works I guess but make sure you know which way the wind is blowing.

tomcat
12-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Lead doesn't get blown back into your face by wind!

Ferenc
12-28-2018, 07:39 PM
Shoot & kill or spray & pray. You be the judge! ;-) I Like that one ! RJ

Signature material for sure ...... Awesome !!!!!

mpotzold
12-28-2018, 08:23 PM
Bear spray works I guess but make sure you know which way the wind is blowing.

Yes inclement weather no doubt hinders its use but wouldn't rely on it regardless. There is just too much evidence of bear spray failures resulting in many maulings & some deaths.
Probably it's better than playing dead if charged/attacked by a grizz.

It may stop a curious bear then it may not.
More examples of using bear spray & what to expect.

Ranger sprays bears-throwing rocks worked better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWYV7bYUXcA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWYV7bYUXcA)

Bear spray fails-30/06 saves the day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dry7aDm6ws (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dry7aDm6ws)

Decided to use spray over gun-bad mistake.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/10/dean-weingarten/bear-spray-failure-montana-video/

303carbine
12-30-2018, 12:31 PM

When ever I go into the bush, I'm armed.
My bear spray always contains lead.

mpotzold
05-15-2019, 09:38 PM
I would never rely on bear spray to stop a charging bear.

If using a shotgun make sure you have some good quality solid slugs along.And forget about buckshot-it simply lacks penetration.

A big caliber rifle is best. I personally use the 45/70 Guide Gun loaded with 540 gr. bullets, a 375H&H loaded with 300 gr. bullets & sometimes a Defender loaded with 3"mag Brenneke slugs when retrieving game.
We do have a couple cans of bear spray at camp in case a curious bear appears.

Finally came across a bear attack story from 1996.

After reading it over 20 years ago never believed in the authenticity of Herrero's & Tom Smith's bear spray studies done a few years later.
This was the first major spray failure with many more to come!

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/opinion/2015/04/19/bear-spray-colorado/26055389/

Busterpayton54
05-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Finally came across a bear attack story from 1996.

After reading it over 20 years ago never believed in the authenticity of Herrero's & Tom Smith's bear spray studies done a few years later.
This was the first major spray failure with many more to come!

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/opinion/2015/04/19/bear-spray-colorado/26055389/

have you ever read their study? It seems to me there is an original publication and an amended version.

I can not recall the exactly number of incident used in the study, I believe it was in the 180's. Incidents included in the "it works" column included spraying through fences, through slightly opened windows, on curious bears, and on camp gear. Anything that involved spray and no bear/human contact. Yes, even though it's known to be an attractant, spray it on a cooler, attract a bear, it licks the cooler and leaves.. "it worked"

i belive of al 180 something incidents, only 6 deployments were on bears deemed to be acting aggressively. Of those 6 times 4 resulted in bear making contact with the human, 2 of those resulted in serious injury.

Now ow I don't clam to be a mathematician, or an expert in extrapolating data but my logic says only those 6 incidences are of value, the spray was only 23% effective. Failing 67%.

My link to the original study is now broken.

in fact I can no longer find it on the web. That study is listed as reference 11 and 13 when you search this "bear spray efficacy study in Alaska" Wikipedia results, yet the link is broke there as well. "Page not found".

Then there was thier opposing study, efficacy of firearms for bear defence. As if the volume of reported incidences were even remotely accurate. Do they actually think every time a gunshot is used to scare off a bear it gets reported and documented? Every time a bear is shot?

Its sickening to know how badly these people manipulate data to make money and give a false sense of security to people who pack thier products.

mpotzold
05-17-2019, 11:29 PM
1)have you ever read their study? It seems to me there is an original publication and an amended version. )

I can not recall the exactly number of incident used in the study, I believe it was in the 180's. Incidents included in the "it works" column included spraying through fences, through slightly opened windows, on curious bears, and on camp gear. Anything that involved spray and no bear/human contact. Yes, even though it's known to be an attractant, spray it on a cooler, attract a bear, it licks the cooler and leaves.. "it worked"

i belive of al 180 something incidents, only 6 deployments were on bears deemed to be acting aggressively. Of those 6 times 4 resulted in bear making contact with the human, 2 of those resulted in serious injury.

Now ow I don't clam to be a mathematician, or an expert in extrapolating data but my logic says only those 6 incidences are of value, the spray was only 23% effective. Failing 67%.

My link to the original study is now broken.

in fact I can no longer find it on the web. That study is listed as reference 11 and 13 when you search this "bear spray efficacy study in Alaska" Wikipedia results, yet the link is broke there as well. "Page not found".

Then there was thier opposing study, efficacy of firearms for bear defence. As if the volume of reported incidences were even remotely accurate. Do they actually think every time a gunshot is used to scare off a bear it gets reported and documented? Every time a bear is shot?

2)Its sickening to know how badly these people manipulate data to make money and give a false sense of security to people who pack thier products.

1)-yes I have

2)-fully agree-this is what I've been saying for many years on HBC.

The study results were based on anecdotal, cherry picked & statistically insignificant numbers by only 2 so called scientists, Herrero(& Smith) & don't have a semblance of real scientific evidence. They can not be replicated!

The results were no doubt predetermined.

The leftist MSM suppresses stories (& there are many), where bear spray failed to stop a charging bear or where it had zero or little effect when sprayed. When forced to publish they conjure up a "good" story of why the spray failed.

To them bear lives matter more.

Frango
05-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Wow lots of brave guys on here. I prefer a big stick or a poke in the eye with my thumb and tell them to go lay down. Works every time. So far.....? but because it takes no space to carry and I have a firearm (non magnum) I feel good. Why not carry it? could save your life if the stick breaks or you firearm jams.

Firstblood
05-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Resurect the dead why dont we eh. When a bear charges or attacks you dont have time to decide hmmmm should I use the spray? maybe my gun, or maybe Ill just yell.

SPRAY= 1) If its windy or raining you have to think about which way its going or spray wont work. 2) If its a particularly angry bear it wont work. 3) If the bear is more than 10 feet away it wont work. 4) If its not in your hands have you practiced removing it from the holster/removing the safety clip more than a few times times in the clothing you are wearing at the time? Instinct beats thinking every time because seconds matter. 5) Does bear spray have more than one use? nope.

My Gun= 1) works no matter wind or weather 2) My guns will kill an angry bear or a desperate bear or just a curious confused bear it doesn't discriminate. 3) if a bear is acting not happy a few shots into the ground should do the trick, if it decides otherwise so will I no matter the distance. 4) My gun is always in my hands and I have been carrying them my whole life, thinking comes second. 5) Noise maker, visual intimidation kickin dirt and smacking tress with some lead near a bear gets there attention, lethal force is a given and last makes a decent club. Bear spray has lots of variables I cannot control, my guns have one variable and that is me which I have control over.

caddisguy
05-19-2019, 06:50 PM
Oh man this bear spray vs gun debate gets old.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Carry both.

Bear spray does not work in a lot of situations. Guns can jam or misfire (had that play out twice at close range) and you cant really point a rifle when you're getting mauled. If your hunting partner is getting mauled (maybe it's your wife) and they are both flailing around like a tornado, are you going to pull a trigger with your sight picture changing 5x per second? No shortage of hunters / guides shooting their partner while their partner is getting mauled... let alone all those bullet and bone fragments that explode all over the place like a shotty blowing in all directions should you hit a bone at close range... seen it and done it

Bear spray only? No shortage of stories of guys emptying multiple cans of bear spray on a predator bear in an hour long ordeal over a few kilometers... gun would have been better... could have plugged it at 50 yards, 10-30 yards, etc 10x over that hour long assault and testing of wits.

Maybe you're grouse hunting and walking around with bird shot in the mag and the pipe. how many rounds back is your bear safety round? how many times do you figure you can cycle that pump at a close / surprise attack? Or do you carry two guns? Why not have bear spray on your belt? There's really no reason not to.

Carry both, use your brain. It's not a religious war LOL. Who the heck would insist on only having one tool in the toolbox when they have two?

NO MAN. PHILLIPS ONLY ! ... Flat heads where it's at! It works for most stuff.. and I refuse to carry that extra 8oz on my belt! I'm an alpine hunter baby... I cut my tooth brush and matches all in half and shaved my legs to reduce weight.

Good grief

*mic drop*

:D

mpotzold
05-19-2019, 09:18 PM
Oh man this bear spray vs gun debate gets old.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Carry both.

Bear spray does not work in a lot of situations. Guns can jam or misfire (had that play out twice at close range) and you cant really point a rifle when you're getting mauled. If your hunting partner is getting mauled (maybe it's your wife) and they are both flailing around like a tornado, are you going to pull a trigger with your sight picture changing 5x per second? No shortage of hunters / guides shooting their partner while their partner is getting mauled... let alone all those bullet and bone fragments that explode all over the place like a shotty blowing in all directions should you hit a bone at close range... seen it and done it

Bear spray only? No shortage of stories of guys emptying multiple cans of bear spray on a predator bear in an hour long ordeal over a few kilometers... gun would have been better... could have plugged it at 50 yards, 10-30 yards, etc 10x over that hour long assault and testing of wits.

Maybe you're grouse hunting and walking around with bird shot in the mag and the pipe. how many rounds back is your bear safety round? how many times do you figure you can cycle that pump at a close / surprise attack? Or do you carry two guns? Why not have bear spray on your belt? There's really no reason not to.

Carry both, use your brain. It's not a religious war LOL. Who the heck would insist on only having one tool in the toolbox when they have two?

NO MAN. PHILLIPS ONLY ! ... Flat heads where it's at! It works for most stuff.. and I refuse to carry that extra 8oz on my belt! I'm an alpine hunter baby... I cut my tooth brush and matches all in half and shaved my legs to reduce weight.

Good grief

*mic drop*

:D

The problem is that the anti hunting, anti gun, save the bear organizations have been lying all these years about the efficacy of bear spray that were based on a couple of questionable non scientific studies which they constantly quote.
They are in the process as we speak to make it mandatory in some states for the hunters to carry bear spray & use as a first line of defence.

Just a few days ago a Kamloops woman's bear spray failed. What she said-"As the bear charged I unholstered the bear spray & sprayed the bear. It was not effective at slowing it down whatsoever"
The CO's concluded that the attack was of predatory nature.

There has been many examples(some recent) where the spray has failed to stop a mauling & even death even when directly sprayed in the bear's face.
Every failure should be exposed to the public to make them aware of the spray's weakness.

My point is DON'T COUNT ON THE BEAR SPRAY TO STOP A CHARGING BEAR!

mpotzold
05-22-2019, 04:36 PM
The problem is that the anti hunting, anti gun, save the bear organizations have been lying all these years about the efficacy of bear spray that were based on a couple of questionable non scientific studies which they constantly quote.
They are in the process as we speak to make it mandatory in some states for the hunters to carry bear spray & use as a first line of defence.

Just a few days ago a Kamloops woman's bear spray failed. What she said-"As the bear charged I unholstered the bear spray & sprayed the bear. It was not effective at slowing it down whatsoever"
The CO's concluded that the attack was of predatory nature.

There has been many examples(some recent) where the spray has failed to stop a mauling & even death even when directly sprayed in the bear's face.
Every failure should be exposed to the public to make them aware of the spray's weakness.

My point is DON'T COUNT ON THE BEAR SPRAY TO STOP A CHARGING BEAR!

Latest. May 22, 2019:-D
Idaho Fish and Game Commission turned down the request that the carry of bear spray by hunters be mandatory.

“Research proves bear spray is more effective than a firearm” is not a factual statement based on research; it’s a baseless propaganda slogan
The idea that bear spray is more effective than firearms in stopping bear attacks is not proven. It is junk science.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/why-requiring-hunters-to-carry-bear-spray-is-a-bad-idea/#axzz5ogc4LIPU

Thank you Dave Smith!:-D
Dave wrote a letter to the Idaho Fish and Game Department, IFGD, to educate them about the problems involved making it mandatory.

mpotzold
06-15-2019, 02:46 PM
The absolute truth about bear spray!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN9X26Y7Pr8

RiverOtter
06-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Yep at all times I carry spray never know when you might not be able to shoot at a surprise attack
Not sure if someone has already responded to this comment, but you'd be lucky to deploy one form of defence in a surprise attack, let alone wasting precious seconds deciding between two options.

Pass the rifle, all day, any day.....

Big Chris
06-15-2019, 05:00 PM
Ya, I'm just gonna keep my 12 gauge and slugs close. Thanks for so many replies. Didn't realize this topic has been beaten to death. Thanks for bear-ing it hahaha *crickets*

Wild one
06-15-2019, 06:11 PM
Some here worry about bears too much :lol:

You can carry a firearm, you can carry spray and in the end if you don’t use your head your going to be in trouble. Most in a true oh sh!t moment won’t keep it together enough to react with any form of defence. Nothing wrong with packing either firearm or spray but the most un reliable factor is the person carrying them. Watched my fair share of people freeze in the moment, spray & pray, or even run and all talked shit about what they would do if things went sideways. I have met lots of hunters with big talk on what they will do and very few I actually trust to keep it together if things went wrong.

Want to be prepared educate yourself on how to avoid getting into a bad spot with bears and how to read them. Pay attention to your surroundings and sign

Way too many don’t realize the difference between a close encounter and a dangerous situation.

Foxton Gundogs
06-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Pepper Definition

pep·per

/ˈpepər/

noun
noun: pepper; plural noun: peppers

a pungent, hot-tasting powder prepared from dried and ground peppercorns, commonly used as a spice or condiment to flavor food.
"season to taste with salt and pepper"

Bear defense guns, (Chuck Hawks)

While powerful rifles are probably the best bear medicine, other firearm choices are possible. The usual alternatives are 12 gauge shotguns shooting slug loads or powerful handguns, usually in the form of magnum revolvers. In a pinch, either can get the job done.
Let's consider shotguns first. A shotgun is approximately as heavy as a carbine rifle and similar in length, so it has no particular advantage in either size or weight over a rifle. A shotgun shooting slugs is typically less accurate than a rifle, although adequate for close range bear protection. The common 12 gauge/437 grain (one ounce) rifled slug has a SD of .117, which is low. However, a 12 gauge slug is heavy and measures about .72 caliber, which is certainly impressive. Most manufacturers of repeating shotguns offer carbine length slug guns.
A correspondent who has been a big game guide in the far north for 30 years and who has far more experience with bears than I wrote to inform me that a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs is an effective weapon for protection against bears, popular with both guides and fish and wildlife officers. To quote from his e-mail, "The 12 gauge with slugs is ideal for crawling through the puckerbush after a big bear, but it's not the best tool for a 150-yard shot at a fleeing bear heading for the thick stuff." He also mentioned in the same e-mail that his favorite guide rifle is a .45-70.

Wild one
06-15-2019, 06:34 PM
If you can keep it together in the moment a 12ga is my choice for tracking wounded bears

Its the soft squishy thing holding that is often holding the shotgun for bear defence that I don’t trust lol

whitlers
06-15-2019, 06:47 PM
My problem seems to be my reaction. I have been in a few black bear encounters and one grizzly and every time my reaction was to yell not pull up my firearm. I got lucky and each time the bear ran off but I keep thinking what if... what if the bear decided to charge would I have time. In two of those instances I for sure would have not... makes me think about traning myself to pull my rifle up or draw when with my bow. I dunno just a thought

Wild one
06-15-2019, 06:57 PM
My problem seems to be my reaction. I have been in a few black bear encounters and one grizzly and every time my reaction was to yell not pull up my firearm. I got lucky and each time the bear ran off but I keep thinking what if... what if the bear decided to charge would I have time. In two of those instances I for sure would have not... makes me think about traning myself to pull my rifle up or draw when with my bow. I dunno just a thought

Curiosity how close were these bears?

RiverOtter
06-15-2019, 08:58 PM
Absolutely, I'd say ready your defense system before announcing your presence. I've read way to many cases of a human voice upsetting the balance and provoking a charge.

Had a sow/young boar come into a cow call a few years ago. Had a solid bead on her at 50'ish yards and was ready, had she decided to charge instead of turn tail. Took 2 stern 'GET OUTTA HERE'S' before she took off, but she coulda just as easily pushed the issue and 50 yards is nothin' for a grizz to eat up.

whitlers
06-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Absolutely, I'd say ready your defense system before announcing your presence. I've read way to many cases of a human voice upsetting the balance and provoking a charge.

Had a sow/young boar come into a cow call a few years ago. Had a solid bead on her at 50'ish yards and was ready, had she decided to charge instead of turn tail. Took 2 stern 'GET OUTTA HERE'S' before she took off, but she coulda just as easily pushed the issue and 50 yards is nothin' for a grizz to eat up.

That's good to know. I don't know why that's just my instinct. 50 yards on a sow grizz with your bow? No thanks haha

Curiosity how close were these bears?

1 black bear was about 20 yards while bow hunting, second was a sow and cub about the same 20-30 yards. She charged out of the trees after I spotted her cub but she bluffed me. Third was a black bear I spooked out of his bed at maybe 10 yards yards rifle in hand. That one was close. Fourth was a young grizz that started out at 70 yards roughly and worked his way into about 30 yards pretty quick before he decided I wasn't worth the effort. That time I had my rifle thank God. Last one was a black bear that walked through camp at maybe 10 feet. He had no interest in us though. More interested in tearing up a stump 20 yards from camp. He's lucky to be alive.

RiverOtter
06-15-2019, 10:35 PM
Haha, no, I wasn't packing a bow. 'Bead' in that particular case was a Leupold crosshair intersection locked on a forehead. :)

Treed
06-16-2019, 02:42 AM
I’ve sprayed 5 bears with bear spray. In my experience it’s not really effective from greater than 5-6 feet. You have to hit them dead in the face a concentrated stream. After over 30+ years working and recreating in the bush, I’ve had a few closeups with grizzly and black bears but no real bad encounters. I think you should do what you think you feel comfortable with. I know three people who have been attacked by bears but I don’t get to fussed about bears. It’s a pretty low probability even if you work full time in the bush.

whitlers
06-16-2019, 11:09 AM
Haha, no, I wasn't packing a bow. 'Bead' in that particular case was a Leupold crosshair intersection locked on a forehead. :)

Hahaha oh I thought you meant bead for a bow sight! Still scary shit!

Wild one
06-16-2019, 11:34 AM
Whitlers I would expect to have more bear encounters just like the ones you described lol

The bears (expecially sows with cubs)you startle at point blank range are worth paying attention to if they stand their ground. They are debating fight or flight or intimidation most choose flight but inside 20yards you don’t want to be caught with your pants down if they choose fight lol

tomcat
06-16-2019, 03:46 PM
NO I do not carry bear spray when I'm hunting. I PACK A GUN !

whitlers
06-16-2019, 04:05 PM
Whitlers I would expect to have more bear encounters just like the ones you described lol

The bears (expecially sows with cubs)you startle at point blank range are worth paying attention to if they stand their ground. They are debating fight or flight or intimidation most choose flight but inside 20yards you don’t want to be caught with your pants down if they choose fight lol

Good to know. Yes of the ones I described that one was the most intense. She rushed out right at me then stopped, stood up and ran off cub in trail. I would have been pretty beat up had she kept comming as all I had was my bow and spray but in the moment I didn't think of either.

Wild one
06-16-2019, 04:40 PM
Good to know. Yes of the ones I described that one was the most intense. She rushed out right at me then stopped, stood up and ran off cub in trail. I would have been pretty beat up had she kept comming as all I had was my bow and spray but in the moment I didn't think of either.

Like I said MOST choose flight so I would not worry much but learning to read there body language helps. More times than not slowing backing out talking is all that is needed to defuse things or standing your ground talking

All the black bear stories you mentioned minus the one in camp I experience similar encounters multiple times a year but mostly when I am hunting them or choose to mess around with them. For the most part unless the bear is wounded I have not felt the need to shoot out of self defence but there is the odd jerk bear and they don’t carry signs

Good habit is to have your rifle ready before you yell/talk at a close up bear because they can cover ground fast. Another good thing most should practice is close range instinct shooting. Try to hit a paper plate at 20yards without using scope/sights quickly. My mentor I learned to bear hunt from preached learning this skill.

whitlers
06-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Like I said MOST choose flight so I would not worry much but learning to read there body language helps. More times than not slowing backing out talking is all that is needed to defuse things or standing your ground talking

All the black bear stories you mentioned minus the one in camp I experience similar encounters multiple times a year but mostly when I am hunting them or choose to mess around with them. For the most part unless the bear is wounded I have not felt the need to shoot out of self defence but there is the odd jerk bear and they don’t carry signs

Good habit is to have your rifle ready before you yell/talk at a close up bear because they can cover ground fast. Another good thing most should practice is close range instinct shooting. Try to hit a paper plate at 20yards without using scope/sights quickly. My mentor I learned to bear hunt from preached learning this skill.

Yeah I tried to slowly back down the trail with the griz before I yelled at him. I didn't want to scare him but he knew I was there and he did not give a shit Haha. He walked me down like 'this is my trail boy, better move'
I have never seen a bear care less about human interaction.

Good advice regarding having rifle ready before yelling or talking. I'll have to train myself to start doing that. I will also work on quick shooting. I have always told myself I need to work on that but after the last blackie so close. That really spooked me Haha.

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

Wild one
06-16-2019, 07:59 PM
Was not there to know for sure but I have a feeling that grizzly was just dead set on sticking to his path and figured you should move because he is the boss lol

As for bears that don’t care about humans they are out there. I have even had a black bear bluff charge my truck after I honked at it lol. They are just like people you can find all kinds of personalities

whitlers
06-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Was not there to know for sure but I have a feeling that grizzly was just dead set on sticking to his path and figured you should move because he is the boss lol

As for bears that don’t care about humans they are out there. I have even had a black bear bluff charge my truck after I honked at it lol. They are just like people you can find all kinds of personalities

I think your right. He was on his path and knew I would move. I wasn't about to challenge that haha

RiverOtter
06-16-2019, 08:31 PM
It's truly a shame the way things have gone. There was a time when daytime bold bears were snuffed out and the predator prey balance was on the side of humans. Sadly, things are gonna get a LOT worse I'm afraid as bold bears remain in the gene pool and pass on those traits.

mpotzold
07-19-2019, 12:46 AM
Knew this was coming!:twisted:

Wyoming wildlife officials plan to discuss possibly requiring hunters to carry bear spray in grizzly bear habitat-as petitioned by 7 environmental groups. “As grizzly-hunting encounters continue to increase in frequency and lethality, regulatory action is needed to reduce avoidable death and injury to bears and hunters” they say.

To the anti-hunting tree-huggers bears are more important than people it seems.
There are way,way too many examples where bear spray has failed resulting in deaths &/or maulings.

https://www.kulr8.com/news/wyoming/wyoming-to-discuss-requiring-hunters-to-carry-bear-spray/article_d1fa5381-6508-59cf-b19e-0318b9c33a90.html

If the tree-huggers get their way expect the same coming soon to BC.

What to expect if you opt to shoot the charging bear instead of using that almost useless spray first. A heavy fine, losing one’s right to hunt & possible jail time for starters.
https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/wyoming-man-fined-25k-for-shooting-grizzly

303savage
07-19-2019, 05:07 AM
Bear spray. Great stuff, just make sure the wind isn't blowing toward you.

mpotzold
07-19-2019, 09:17 PM
Requiring Wyoming hunters to carry bear spray continues!

The seven groups that signed onto the petition are the Humane Society of the United States, Sierra Club, Center for Biological Diversity, Natural Resources Defense Council, Western Watersheds Project, Wyoming Wildlife Advocates and WildEarth Guardians.

See petition! Let’s hope Wyoming Game and Fish Commission doesn’t agree.
Tree huggers spewing absolute garbage as expected!:evil:

The title should be BEAR SPRAY SAVES BEARS
Firearms are unreliable.:roll:
Several studies confirm that bear spray is far more effective, safe and reliable than firearms. It is specifically formulated to stop an attack.:roll:
https://33ye2d3ufhpm2rls32dlamvg-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Bear-spray-talking-points-final.pdf

Wyoming hunting guide Mark Uptain last year opted to use bear spray instead of a gun resulting in his untimely demise. Another example of many bear spray failures.

Experts opinions
Gary Shelton
-a person who is proficient with a large calibre rifle or a pump 12-gauge shotgun can reduce the risk of injury or death during a bear attack to about nil.
-I (GS)personally would always choose firearm over spray.
-Pepper spray does not come close to firearms as a defense system
-should be considered as a temporary deterrent(if it works)-so leave immediately
-its delivery is a function of the prevailing wind
-in most cases you would be better off using a spray against a grizzly rather than playing dead

Dave Smith-guns vs grizz
http://riverjournal.com/vivvo/outdoors/2321-gunsvsgrizzlies_smith_112011.html

Iron Sighted
07-21-2019, 10:29 AM
I pack a rifle when I'm hunting, typically with no bear spray. When I'm hiking/exploring/backpacking I save the weight and go with bear spray.

mpotzold
07-23-2019, 10:20 AM
Requiring Wyoming hunters to carry bear spray continues!

The seven groups that signed onto the petition are the Humane Society of the United States, Sierra Club, Center for Biological Diversity, Natural Resources Defense Council, Western Watersheds Project, Wyoming Wildlife Advocates and WildEarth Guardians.

See petition! Let’s hope Wyoming Game and Fish Commission doesn’t agree.
Tree huggers spewing absolute garbage as expected!:evil:

The title should be BEAR SPRAY SAVES BEARS
Firearms are unreliable.:roll:
Several studies confirm that bear spray is far more effective, safe and reliable than firearms. It is specifically formulated to stop an attack.:roll:
https://33ye2d3ufhpm2rls32dlamvg-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Bear-spray-talking-points-final.pdf

Wyoming hunting guide Mark Uptain last year opted to use bear spray instead of a gun resulting in his untimely demise. Another example of many bear spray failures.

Experts opinions
Gary Shelton
-a person who is proficient with a large calibre rifle or a pump 12-gauge shotgun can reduce the risk of injury or death during a bear attack to about nil.
-I (GS)personally would always choose firearm over spray.
-Pepper spray does not come close to firearms as a defense system
-should be considered as a temporary deterrent(if it works)-so leave immediately
-its delivery is a function of the prevailing wind
-in most cases you would be better off using a spray against a grizzly rather than playing dead

Dave Smith-guns vs grizz
http://riverjournal.com/vivvo/outdoors/2321-gunsvsgrizzlies_smith_112011.html

Not caving in to the tree hugger's BS.
Wyoming wildlife officials decline bear spray requirement. Thank you!
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/23/wyoming-wildlife-officials-decline-bear-spray-requ/

wideopenthrottle
07-23-2019, 10:34 AM

it is for this reason that I get annoyed at people who say never point your gun unless you are ready to shoot....I will pull up my rifle and draw a bead on a stump on a hillside 5-10 times a day to practice shouldering, aiming and gathering my breath...these are important skills...just be sure that your practice target is safe to point at every time .

TyTy
07-29-2019, 08:42 PM
In my mind.... if a bear is not deterred by a warning shot (noise), I would not be reaching for a can of mace next. While mace can be useful or effective, at the end of the day I trust my well being a lot more to my rifle than any kind of spray. Might as well pack a bear tag too :)

lots to be said on the topic, each to their own comfort and ethics level. Experience matters