PDA

View Full Version : Knife setup

g2mike
12-17-2018, 04:28 PM
Im a bit unsure what I want to run for knives next year. Whats everyones goto set up for the knives you carry, especially backpacking/camping?

I like to have a general use Spyderco folder on me (in my pocket, or hip pouch of my backpack). And I have a havalon in my kill kit.

Havelons are good, but I like using a larger knife also while breaking down an animal. Do you guys carry a 3rd knife or use your general knife?

If you use your general knife during the breaking down process, do you find its sharp enough? I don't plan on sharpening in the field.

I like breaking an animal down better with a fixed blade instead of a folder and will pick up a good one this season, but Im not sure if throwing a fixed blade in my pack that only comes out if an animal is getting packed out, is the right idea, and I dont know about carrying one on my belt with a pack on instead of the folder.

allan
12-17-2018, 04:39 PM
All I ever carry my crkt everyday carry pocket knife and a havalon with lots of blades.
My crkt goes hunting, and to weddings with me.
Several moose, deer and bears done this way.

whitlers
12-17-2018, 04:49 PM
Spyderco in pocket. Buck 110 on pack waist belt. Havalon in the kill kit. Could probably drop one of them but I like always having a knife of me.

Spyderco for daily utility things. 110 for gutting and breaking down. Havalon for skinning.

Blacktail
12-17-2018, 04:55 PM
damascus skinner
longer hunter style blade
Also have a folder in the pocket for everyday chores

decker9
12-17-2018, 05:32 PM
I just upgraded my knives, from havalon’s. Havalon’s are nice, but their not a solid knife, pretty chincy. A few years ago, I had a knife built for a good friend of mine. I nearly kept it once it got here, and Iv been drooling over this guys custom knives ever since.... “The sheep skinner” and “the goat caper”, should arrive later this week I hope.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/blob:http://www.huntingbc.ca/64c0f16e-e509-478d-a267-618f55044ab4https://www.dropbox.com/s/x12wmvck1fd355x/Photo%202018-12-15%2C%207%2043%2016%20PM.jpg?dl=0

albravo2
12-17-2018, 05:41 PM
Leatherman Wave is always on my hip. Never understood the idea of an everyday carry knife when a Leatherman is a knife PLUS a small took kit.

I have a few nice fixed blade knives that I carry while hunting because I really like them but I don't really need much more than the Leatherman and a Havalon.

SaintSix
12-17-2018, 05:57 PM
I don't bring a sharpener to the field. Id suggest looking into higher quality steels. theres lots of youtube videos out there. 2 steels i've used and would recomend would be CMP 3V and Elmax. these steels hold a edge way longer then your traditional carbon steel. Bark River makes a lot of varity but they are costly. To answer your question I bring one full tang hunting knife and a havalon for caping. I just purchased the bigger havlon this year to try their bone saw out but havent put it to use yet.

g2mike
12-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Ya am aware of steel quality. Most of my good knives are s30v and I keep them fairly sharp

Im just having a hard time wanting to use the knife I use for everything, on game too. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy another knife lol

decker9
12-17-2018, 06:19 PM
I’ll echo the steel quality. I’m not familiar with what’s what, but I do know the s35vn gets good recommendation. The knife I had built for my friend, has a few deer and a couple bear under it, and has never needed sharpening. If your looking for a custom knife, I highly recommend Gary Bolduc from bolduc knives. Their $$$, but they will last you your life time, and your grandkids too.

AgSilver
12-17-2018, 06:22 PM
Leatherman Wave is always on my hip. Never understood the idea of an everyday carry knife when a Leatherman is a knife PLUS a small took kit.

I have a few nice fixed blade knives that I carry while hunting because I really like them but I don't really need much more than the Leatherman and a Havalon.

I tend to agree - Leatherman is way too useful not to take. Havalon is great for a lot of the breakdown process. But.....I carry a New West Knifeworks Hunter/Forager because it also is great at the skinning part, in particular and i'm still trying to figure out if I like it better than the Havalon with just a quick touch up here and there in the field.

And then, because I just like to have it with me, I'll often carry a (yes I know....) Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife...as cheesy as it is, the setup on that thing has proven useful several times. I was once pounding stakes into the ground and there was legitimately no useful rocks around...but the butt end of that knife was perfect. Sometimes I drop that and just carry a Benchmade Bug Out because it's so small and light but nice as a backup and a little more "wieldy" than the Leatherman.

Eventually, I'll either drop the Havalon or the NWK H/F (probably will drop the Havalon for the stability of the fixed blade). But I'll always take the Leatherman and may still keep a small backup knife like the Bug Out.

RackStar
12-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Leatherman on the hip
5” fixed blade in the pack
havelon in the kill kit

Custom knives sound appealing though..

Ferenc
12-17-2018, 06:33 PM
Fixed blade drop point knife in 4” seems to work good .... but one can never have too many knives ... : )

twoSevenO
12-17-2018, 07:37 PM
4.5" fixed blade drop point - general purpose, and utility knife but also for any heavier field dressing needs.

Havalon - for all the delicate work

I dont carry a pocket knife anymore on the hike-in trips because I find the type of cutting I do I can just do with my 4.5".

The leatherman is way too heavy and I have honestly never had something break that the leatherman could have fixed anyways. Had screws come lose on the tripod but those were hex head and nothing on the leatherman would have fixed it anyways.

srupp
12-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Hmmm have a Bogdog with d2 steel/ resperine handle..think truck tire material..its a batoning wood splitting survival knife.
My go to hunting knifes are 3 Marty Beets custom knifes..2 are crucible steel, take a wicked edge and hold it.
One of the knives was my retirement gift from my fellow Paramedic friends .
Great knife maker, very wonderful guy to know and chat with, helpful...guard these knives at all costs. .Blessed to know Mr. MARTY BEETS.
Have one more knife..from Alberta knife maker. ..that will be my last knife..saving up pennies per month for next years knife.
Steven

r106
12-17-2018, 08:47 PM
This is my go to hunting knife. Its on my belt everytime im in the bush.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/r_106/20181217_192518_zps5ap51xjn.jpg (http://s295.photobucket.com/user/r_106/media/20181217_192518_zps5ap51xjn.jpg.html)

r106
12-17-2018, 08:52 PM
Also have benchmade griptilian folding knife for every day

g2mike
12-17-2018, 08:59 PM
It seems like you're either a multi - tool guy, or you aren't. I've never liked using them but I do like the utility of them. I wish leatherman would let you build a custom one, if I could get a bone saw and scissors in one tool that is a lightweight and slim tool I'd probably have one. But I can't get on board with using worse or harder to use tools simply because they're all attached to each other.

That being said I do have a Gerber Dime in my hip pouch or "possibles pouch". Pliers, scissors, tweezers all super handy and it weighs nothing.

https://www.gerbergear.com/var/gerber/storage/images/media/multimedia/product-videos/dime/8776663-1-eng-US/Dime_fulljpg.jpg

twoSevenO
12-17-2018, 10:02 PM
^ looks like a leatherman squirt .... I have one attached to my fishing waders. Good quality pliers, sharp spring loaded scissors and a decent enough file for hook touchups. Very handy and surprisingly corrosion resistant. Very happy with it.

HappyJack
12-17-2018, 10:41 PM
I always keep a sharp fixed blade Gerber on my hip, in case some dumb cat ever decides to jump me. A Havalon, and an Outdoor Edge Razor Lite in my pouch....and a nice folder in my pocket all the time for cleaning toe nails or other utility uses. I have several others, but those ones are pretty much always along for the ride.

AgSilver
12-18-2018, 01:37 PM
It seems like you're either a multi - tool guy, or you aren't. I've never liked using them but I do like the utility of them. I wish leatherman would let you build a custom one, if I could get a bone saw and scissors in one tool that is a lightweight and slim tool I'd probably have one. But I can't get on board with using worse or harder to use tools simply because they're all attached to each other.

That being said I do have a Gerber Dime in my hip pouch or "possibles pouch". Pliers, scissors, tweezers all super handy and it weighs nothing.

https://www.gerbergear.com/var/gerber/storage/images/media/multimedia/product-videos/dime/8776663-1-eng-US/Dime_fulljpg.jpg

I carry one on my everyday keychain...forgot about that. I use this thing ALL of the time (the box cutter tool is amazing for opening those f'ing clamshell packages).

wideopenthrottle
12-18-2018, 02:37 PM
always have the leatherman wave (with a sharpening file) and a folding "uncle henry" on my belt with a big fixed blade Kabar in my pack...

twoSevenO
12-18-2018, 03:31 PM
I always keep a sharp fixed blade Gerber on my hip, in case some dumb cat ever decides to jump me. A Havalon, and an Outdoor Edge Razor Lite in my pouch....and a nice folder in my pocket all the time for cleaning toe nails or other utility uses. I have several others, but those ones are pretty much always along for the ride.

$20 says this guy cuts his food with the same blade later in the day.

the_longwalker
12-18-2018, 05:45 PM
Opinel #7 folder in my pocket and a Mora Classic 612 on my belt. $30.00 for both knives together that have lasted me for almost 40 years. I got them for a Christmas gift when I was in Scouts.

rocksteady
12-21-2018, 12:14 PM
If i only had one knife to

https://www.outdooredge.com/collections/hunting/products/razor-pro

HappyJack
12-21-2018, 08:42 PM
$20 says this guy cuts his food with the same blade later in the day.

You lost $20....;-) But we like how you think.

ratherbefishin
02-18-2019, 08:41 AM
One of the best hunting knives you can buy is a Mora knife ...nothing fancy,fixed blade ,utilitarian ,but functional,good grip ,sturdy and holds an edge. Costs about 20 bucks .Get the one with a red grip,easy to spot when you put it down in the bush ( can’t tell you how many good knives i’ve put down,and left behind) My hunting partner is a surgeon and says it’s the best knife he has and he can do anything with it . You can pay a lot more ,but you won’t get a lot more

IronNoggin
02-21-2019, 01:19 PM
Buck 110 on the shell bag belt.

Jim Shockey Havelon in the pocket:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BAiHEl7yL._SX425_.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

bchunter181
02-21-2019, 02:01 PM
i carry havalon edge and the cabelas alaskian guide knife. bith have there uses and thats all i ever need sometimes carry a skinning knife as well.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/850/cabelas-alaskan-guide-series-vanguard-knife

Foxton Gundogs
02-21-2019, 02:16 PM
damascus skinner
longer hunter style blade
Also have a folder in the pocket for everyday chores

Hmmm have a Bogdog with d2 steel/ resperine handle..think truck tire material..its a batoning wood splitting survival knife.
My go to hunting knifes are 3 Marty Beets custom knifes..2 are crucible steel, take a wicked edge and hold it.
One of the knives was my retirement gift from my fellow Paramedic friends .
Great knife maker, very wonderful guy to know and chat with, helpful...guard these knives at all costs. .Blessed to know Mr. MARTY BEETS.
Have one more knife..from Alberta knife maker. ..that will be my last knife..saving up pennies per month for next years knife.
Steven

Nice choice Steven, I fully concur, Most who use a cheap knife and say it is their favorite have never used a good one imo. I carry a couple of Roy's (BLACKTAIL) creations. tough, sharp, hold an edge "forever". Try a custom built and never look back
https://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/1zzz.jpg (https://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/1zzz.jpg.html)

Wild one
02-21-2019, 02:26 PM
Agree custom knife is the way to go had one made by caribou knives years ago and will not buy another mass produced knife again

But I still use a box cutter or scalpel for skinning.

Hugh Mann
02-21-2019, 02:36 PM
Crkt Mossback and an Outdoor Edge Razor Pro. I never go hunting without either of those knives, and both have proved their value time and time again. I've dressed, skinned and butchered multiple animals with just those two.

Arctic Lake
02-21-2019, 03:47 PM
My 2 cents for what it's worth . Some of those custom made knives are awesome and big dollars , lay one of those down and can't find it OOOoooooh would not like that feeling .! I like Mora knives, easy to sharpen too ! Victorinox butcher knives, good steel and not expensive but you will need to make a sheath . Buck Folder with orange plastic handle ,easy to sharpen and visible if you lay it down. If you want a bush knife that you can baton for making kindling, BK9 the knife is killer !
Arctic Lake

Jordan f.
02-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Benchmade Steep Country Hunter (no gut hook, blaze orange).

Havalon

And a cheap folder left at camp for random stuff

sillyghillie
02-21-2019, 05:49 PM
I only carry one knife on backcountry hunts. spyderco endura 4. also there is a blade on my leatherman if i absolutely needed it.

Squamch
02-21-2019, 08:21 PM
I have a cheapy gun show folder in my pocket ALWAYS. Clipped inside my waistband at the gym or swimming. It's a "BEE" with a cr13mov blade. If I am wearing pajamas is the only time I don't carry it.
In the pack is a havalon, which I'm not sold on yet, only done one black bear so far with it. I also carry an old schrade 4" blade fixed blade, and a Stanley multitool. The schrade is the biggest knife I've ever needed, the multitool has been useful a few times, and I just don't like not having my EDC knife.

Probably excessive, but I also have half a dozen lighters scattered around.