PDA

View Full Version : Predator Calling Tips

rageous
12-17-2018, 03:19 PM
For the newbie predator hunter where do we start?
Wolves/cougars/coyotes/linx/bobcats.

Pros/cons of mouth calls vs electronics?

What calls are you using?

I have a gun, boots, snowmobile,

Can someone help me (newbie) understand unlawful #18 in hunting regs.

.308SLAYER
12-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Nothing more rewarding then whacking dogs using and calls...I'm lazy these days got a fox pro

shleebs
12-17-2018, 04:22 PM
Electronic calls are the best imo and allow you to set the call up away from yourself so the animals don't pin you down. It helps to have a squeaker as well to stop them once they're in range.

twoSevenO
12-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Good thread. Im hoping to get out a couple times this winter and find some coyotes

Here's my coyote from earlier in the year:

https://i.imgur.com/NNJd2uS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Has anyone used a hand held like this one? I bought this for my dad a few xmases ago and I don't think he has ever used it. I was thinking of maybe borrowing it and trying it out. Thoughts?
It does get very effin' loud!

https://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/2/210138m3_ts.jpg

swampthing
12-17-2018, 05:31 PM
Twoseven0, you shoot guns with bolt on the proper side! Nice yote

RackStar
12-17-2018, 06:02 PM
Nice yote!

couple weeks back I brought some bones from my whitetail out to the bush to feed the birds. Was only going 500m down the fsr off the highway, so no need for a rifle.

Well about 500m off highway down the fsr was a big grey color wolf sitting in the middle of the road and in absolute no rush to move.... I felt pretty stupid staring at this wolf with no gun...my dumb move of 2018.

Would have been my first wolf as I have either missed or not able to shoot the wolves I’ve seen.

Hope to drop some dogs myself this winter.

Good luck out there dog hunters

twoSevenO
12-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Twoseven0, you shoot guns with bolt on the proper side! Nice yote

X2 .... lefties unite!

Kopper
12-17-2018, 09:52 PM
I mostly target yotes but this winter I’ve been dabbling with following cat tracks and setting up, with no luck yet. Pretty confident it’ll pay off eventually.

I typically hunt yotes over private land, large open fields. Prefer using the mouth call for its reach as it’s louder than my entry level e caller. Primos Ki-Yi and Fox Pro Inferno... IMO more satisfaction hand calling too. E caller obviously has the benefit of getting the dogs attention off your location.

My preffered set up is putting the e caller and decoy away from my location. Start with the hand caller to reach far and subsequent calls are done by the e caller (I realize that’s backwards to most). I use a dirt cheap foam rabbit but that seems to be enough that they usually lock in on it. Set one of your presets to coyote distress and immediately play after the shot. If there’s yotes running away it’ll usually stop them or even pull the dead yotes partner out of the bush.

Certainly no need for an e caller if you don’t want to drop a bunch of cash tho. For years I only used the Ki-Yi with good success. Pretty easy critters to call in really, providing it’s a good spot. I’ve even called them in with my voice by imitating a dying something; just make sure you don’t have buddies with you cause I gaureentee somebody will start laughing lol.

todbartell
12-18-2018, 12:01 AM
There's a ton of great info on calling out there...do some google searches. Predator Masters forum is a great resource.

Have patience, there's a lot of times where hunters have packed up and walking back to the truck when a predator is just arriving to their setup. Watch the wind, and try not to move too much, stick to the shadows. Shoot off a solid rest like a bipod, tripod or shooting stick.

brn2ryd
12-20-2018, 11:56 AM
I have had success calling wolfs just buy cupping my hands over my mouth and howling. It takes some practice to get that octave drop.
I recently purchased a "wolf howler" by E.L.K. I haven't had much field time with it yet but it sounds very realistic. https://www.elkinc.com/the-wolf-howler/
I would like to try an electronic call one day.

tigrr
12-20-2018, 11:03 PM
I bought an electronic caller and called in nothing. Next I bought a wolf howler tube and called in wolves. Just wish I would have had a 270 instead of a 12 gauge. Yotes come to a deer fawn in distress or a moose calf in distress. But so do grizzly's.
Oh I am sorry I did call in a black bear with the electronics.

bigredchev
12-21-2018, 06:35 AM
We've had good success with those hand held callers and the crazy critters

lovemywinchester
12-21-2018, 10:33 AM
I prefer to use an electronic caller. Much easier and less movement on my part. I also find using distress calls from a mouth caller to be pretty annoying after a while. It's very loud and can get me depressed from the distress calls. Listening to rabbits being tortured for a few hours really bums me out!! I do enjoy using the diaphragm calls to make coyote calls and howls although I haven't had success using them.

twoSevenO
12-21-2018, 10:42 AM
What about location, boys? Do coyotes migrate much? I havent a clue.

Do you hunt them differently in Jan/Feb than where you see them in, say, October when out deer hunting?

lovemywinchester
12-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Creek beds, open grasslands, tree lines, anywhere rabbits or mice live. Fence lines and logging roads make it easy for them to travel and easy for you as well. I try to walk as little as possible so you don't build up a sweat before sitting for an hour, especially in deep snow.
Feb is when they start to breed so challenge calls may work better then.