PDA

View Full Version : Williams lake early season hunt

pitbell
09-12-2007, 10:21 AM
My father wants to hunt the Williams lake area last week in Sept first week of October. He loves deer meat would be happy with a young buck. I'm a bit more picky with my deer. My question is has anyone had any luck in the early season with bigger bucks? I've only ever hunted late Nov in the Ranch area.

Chris76239
09-12-2007, 10:30 AM
I was up there last year same time, Didn't see much of the big ones. I saw a couple 4-points but mostly spikers and 2-pointers. I head up there cuz the small and young deer taste better to me. Not too many big ones from what I've seen. But I could be wrong.

Chris

newhunterette
09-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I know my Mom has some big bucks that have bedded down on her property in 108 Mile - dang if she didn't name them which means "NO SHOOTING" grrrrrrrrrr

srupp
09-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Most areas around "The Pond " hold BIG bucks however they usually only move during the dark..and on private ranches where they are used to NOT being harrassed...BUT they are still there on public lands..
Williams Lake area holds TONS of deer Ive seen spring groups of over 1,000 animals yes one thousand..their always is a resident herd..and LOVE the FRASER RIVER area..

I am headed out with a new 13 year old hunter and his Dad in the AM for 4 days..hope to see some big bucks..Horsefly-Big Lake- Meldrum Creek-ALL hold deer and BIG bucks..one must get HIGH up or deep in the thick stuff or intercept them to or from feeding on a field..

And there certainly is some big boyz down at the ranch just think STEEP..

Ali tell MOMMA..I will be down next week to check that ALL the deer are still there ....I think Bruce the bad buck is missing lol OOOPS

Steven

MIL720
09-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Lots of BIG bucks out Enterprize Road just south of 150 Mile.Watch for logging trucks on main road.Tons of side roads and cut blocks.Good luck.

pitbell
09-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Good advice, thanks guys. Is there still no Farwell bridge?

srupp
09-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Farewell bridge IS back in service...

and MIL720 is correct Enterprise Rd does have some awesome deer and good #s also..there are just so many good areas..

In my job we are up riding around all nite long and see some absolute HAWGS...4 am and 1 am seem to be the most movement for the big bucks..but Ive seen em moving JUST at legal shooting also headed back to their bedding areas....

I am headed to Horsefly to go high up where the big bucks summer..should see bear- deer -grizzly-moose...but gosh darn no Budwiser girls...

Steven

pitbell
09-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks again, have fun, and good luck on your hunt. Take lots of pic's for us.