PDA

View Full Version : Calling wolves in

browningboy
12-16-2018, 09:15 AM
So picked up a new electronic call, now my question is how often do you call and for how long? Let’s say you find an area with lots of sign of recent activity, so you set up the call, do you just start calling full blast or halfway? And go for 30 seconds or? Also there are several calls in there, do you stick with the same one “wolf locator” or?
we are heading up after Christmas to go put a dent in their population hopefully! Any help would be awesome!

todbartell
12-16-2018, 09:55 AM
I like to start low volume with a prey distress sound (rabbit or fawn), for 30 seconds or so then mute it for a few minutes. You could then increase the volume and stick to the distress or throw in some wolf or coyote vocalizations. Using coyote sounds will trigger both the territorial/competition of the wolf, and also represent another prey species. Using wolf locator would be best when driving around, calling from the truck to try and locate some wolves to hunt.

BCHunterFSJ
12-16-2018, 11:32 AM
So picked up a new electronic call, now my question is how often do you call and for how long? Let’s say you find an area with lots of sign of recent activity, so you set up the call, do you just start calling full blast or halfway? And go for 30 seconds or? Also there are several calls in there, do you stick with the same one “wolf locator” or?
we are heading up after Christmas to go put a dent in their population hopefully! Any help would be awesome!

What is a "wolf locator" call? Would like to get one...

Rieber
12-16-2018, 12:09 PM

As you drive in the bush simply sound your vehicle horn repeatedly in the standard SOS pattern and they will start running.

I actually thought electronic calls were illegal for hunting - hmmm, maybe that was 25 years ago.

Do we have wolves here in the LML?

Wild one
12-16-2018, 12:15 PM
As you drive in the bush simply sound your vehicle horn repeatedly in the standard SOS pattern and they will start running.

I actually thought electronic calls were illegal for hunting - hmmm, maybe that was 25 years ago.

Do we have wolves here in the LML?

Electronics for predators is legal and yes there is wolves in the lower mainland. Only wolf seasons are in western region 2

todbartell
12-16-2018, 12:37 PM

since 2005 you can use electronics for coyote, wolf, cougar, lynx and bobcat

Rieber
12-16-2018, 12:38 PM
Electronics for predators is legal and yes there is wolves in the lower mainland. Only wolf seasons are in western region 2

Well there you go - I learned something today. Thanks. I don't think I've seen a wolf down here but I'll have to pay more attention now. I also will look for dog collars on whatever I think is a wolf until I can identify a wolf in the wild since I hunt relatively close to homes and roads. I don't want to pull the trigger on somone's pet.

twoSevenO
12-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Well there you go - I learned something today. Thanks. I don't think I've seen a wolf down here but I'll have to pay more attention now. I also will look for dog collars on whatever I think is a wolf until I can identify a wolf in the wild since I hunt relatively close to homes and roads. I don't want to pull the trigger on somone's pet.

Cant hunt them down here anyways. 2-6, 2-11, etc.

tigrr
12-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Watch and practice alpha male calling. You will need open space to be successful. I prefer frozen lakes. What area are you heading too?
Wolves don't like other wolves in their area. Practice the long single howl. Wait 10 minutes and try again. If they hear you they will answer back. No answer back move 2 kms and try again.

gcreek
12-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Whatever you do, if you connect just sit tight and wait. Might be an hour but one or more of the pack will come looking for the missing member. Especially true if one of the dominant pair.

Doubling up is better than getting the first one!

tigrr
12-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Those electronic callers don't do much for wolves. Coyote maybe. Buy a wolf howling tube and practice. The sound carries a long way.

gcreek
12-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Those electronic callers don't do much for wolves. Coyote maybe. Buy a wolf howling tube and practice. The sound carries a long way.

Like most things, depends on the quality of the product and expertise of the operator.

todbartell
12-16-2018, 11:00 PM
lol yeah not much

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_19_06_007.jpg

Weatherby Fan
12-16-2018, 11:17 PM
I used an Electronic caller to call a wolf in, alternating between rabbit in distress and fawn in distress, finally left it on fawn in distress and out popped a wolf

hunter1947
12-17-2018, 04:19 AM
For wolves I use my voice to call in wolves or a person can use a electronics caller I start off with 2 or 3 calls and then wait for 5 min for a return call if nothing answers your call then repeat your calls
again wait for anther 5 min if nothing move on a few miles and do the same if they are within the area you should get a return call good luck..

twoSevenO
12-17-2018, 07:10 AM
lol yeah not much

Nice wolf. Right on!

What rifle is that?

gcreek
12-17-2018, 08:35 AM
lol yeah not much

Good job, thanks.

Brez
12-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Like most things, depends on the quality of the product and expertise of the operator.
Few years ago I called a pack in to our camp using my voice and a clamato bottle with the bottom cut off. Just cut the flat part of the bottom and leave the curve. Great excuse to have clam in camp. I also use this for moose.

todbartell
12-17-2018, 11:31 AM
Nice wolf. Right on!

What rifle is that?

Rem 700 LVSF 223

86k20
12-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Drag a bloody chunk of meat down the road slowly for a kilometer or 2 and stop n leave it in a good spot. Park the truck further down the road and setup on high ground making sure you have good wind. Start calling and if they are around you should see something.

browningboy
12-17-2018, 03:10 PM

The title is on the hand held unit I have, just describes the calls I assume?

I like to start low volume with a prey distress sound (rabbit or fawn), for 30 seconds or so then mute it for a few minutes. You could then increase the volume and stick to the distress or throw in some wolf or coyote vocalizations. Using coyote sounds will trigger both the territorial/competition of the wolf, and also represent another prey species. Using wolf locator would be best when driving around, calling from the truck to try and locate some wolves to hunt.

Thanks for the tips, be interesting to see how it goes, I used it last night in my neighborhood and got the coyotes going!!

Watch and practice alpha male calling. You will need open space to be successful. I prefer frozen lakes. What area are you heading too?
Wolves don't like other wolves in their area. Practice the long single howl. Wait 10 minutes and try again. If they hear you they will answer back. No answer back move 2 kms and try again.

Perfect thanks! I'm heading off to Loon Lake area, well more towards Boneparte as they are thick in there!