PDA

View Full Version : Best region for colour phased bears

The_Bear_Man
12-14-2018, 01:49 PM
I live in 7a and don’t get see many colour phases black bears. I have successfully harvested a few nice big 6+ feet black bears. Definitely no shortage of bears just not a whole lot of colour phase. I would really like to put in the time to find a nice colour phase this year. I saw one blonde bear with dark brown head and legs which was just awesome to see. It was pretty small so I just filmed it and let it walk. Never have seen another one like it.

I’ve hunted Region 5 and the spots we have hunted are about 25% colour phase. Same with a spot in region 3. What is everyone’s opinion on % of colour phase bears in the various regions? Anybody see many colour phase in region 7 or 6?

cheers!

Wild one
12-14-2018, 02:14 PM
I seen an ok number(less than 25%) of colour phase last spring in 6 but nothing that was of much for size. There are pockets where they are more common in 6 but not as high as 25%

In my opinion 25% colour phase is a good area if looking for colour and I found region 3 was best for numbers

I have killed lots of big bears but only time a big colour phase shows I am not the shooter. My 2 smallest bears are the only colour phase I have shot. Bit of a personal curse for me lol

I don’t mind sharing spots in southern 6 with colours around but no promises on % or size

chris
12-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Region 5 always has a good mix of colour phase bears. I mostly hunt the southern end of region 5.

RyoTHC
12-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Region 5 always has a good mix of colour phase bears. I mostly hunt the southern end of region 5.

Both my very large boars were color phase. Northern zone 3 / zone 8.

RackStar
12-14-2018, 03:29 PM
7a,

North of PG

NORTH FRASER
MCGREGGOR
SEABACK
SUMMIT LAKE

all these areas I’ve seen some nice color bears. Some really nice ones. Some massive blacks too.

todbartell
12-14-2018, 03:29 PM
7A...probably MU 7-12

whitlers
12-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Seen lots of nice color phases bears in Region 3. Some chocolate/red/blonde.

moosinaround
12-14-2018, 04:34 PM
7-12, 7-13, 7-14, 7-15, 7-24, these are where I hunt for the color phase bears. Seen a Huge bugger 2 years ago in 7-24, was cinnamon in color! Moosin

wrenchhead
12-14-2018, 04:35 PM
I see way more color phase bears in the hills around vernon then solid black ones.

Wild one
12-14-2018, 04:50 PM
7-13, 6-04, 6-05, 6-06, 6-08, and 60-9 but some parts of theses MUs are better then others. This years fires have hit some spots hard so who knows how this spring will be

Ajsawden
12-14-2018, 05:21 PM
I did a shift on Thurlow Island 12 or so years ago. All the bears I saw (6 or 8) were some form colour phase. First time i'd ever seen a non-black black bear. Only other place is west of Quesnel.

srupp
12-14-2018, 08:22 PM
There is a place near Williams lake..40 % of the bears are colored phase..red, blond, brown...non black.
Colored bears USUALLY top out at 5 1/2 feet.. but much larger colored bears are out there.
We usually considered 6 foot black bears as trophy., adult mature animals.
Cheers
Steven

Foxton Gundogs
12-14-2018, 10:54 PM
If hunters would hunt big bears regardless of color and let the smaller bears walk those 5.5 (trophies) would become real trophy bears

The_Bear_Man
12-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Great responses guys. Lots of places to think about. Thanks for sharing the info. Feel free to post pictures of the different colours. I hunt mostly 7-13 and 7-12 and it seems some do see those coloured bears in these areas.

Wild one
12-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Great responses guys. Lots of places to think about. Thanks for sharing the info. Feel free to post pictures of the different colours. I hunt mostly 7-13 and 7-12 and it seems some do see those coloured bears in these areas.

What I have found is it’s sections of the MUs that hold colour more so not the whole MU

And by far the most common colour I see is cinnamon with chocolate be next followed be red then blonde. I rarely see coloured bears that hit the much past 18 inch and most colour phase I see are 5 foot or less. I have been involved with some nice coloured bears going down but they seem to hide when I am the shooter lol. If I take my wife out that is when I see a nice colour phase they like her more

Odds are by the MUs you hunt your not too far away from where I will be hunting. Do to fires I have to wait and see how it impacted some of my spots this spring. Feel free to bug me in the spring for info on what I am seeing

moosinaround
12-15-2018, 09:58 AM
If hunters would hunt big bears regardless of color and let the smaller bears walk those 5.5 (trophies) would become real trophy bears
I have gotten a bit more selective on bears in the spring, but usually hold out till my last couple days, taking a calf/fawn killer smaller than was looking for, to ensure pepperonies/smokies supply for summer and fall! moosin

zippermouth
12-15-2018, 10:26 AM
and a lot more calves/fawns would die. we have plenty of bears, and big bears i have no problem with guys killing 5 ft bears.

Wild one
12-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Even though I hold out for nicer bears that is my choice and have no issues with someone shooting a smaller bear for meat. Now if I take a guy hunting and I have to load a dog bear in my truck he is going to be teased in good fun lol

Personally I find there is more big bears then people realize but people don’t want to invest the effort or just can’t hold out long enough to see a big bear. I have taken guys bear hunting after they pass on 10-20 bears their eyes start playing tricks and the next bears look way bigger to them lol

In the end there is no lack of bears and someone just wants meat have at it. Personally I am not noticing a lack of big old bears so I don’t think there is an age class issue

ian745
12-15-2018, 11:13 AM
well if anyone is going for colour only in areas with some big blackies, take me along, i`ll take a big black over colour at least once, i struck out this year so freezers empty..lol, the count down to spring is on!! hahaha

i`m in region 1 on the island and hunt 1-6 - 1-12 and saw a few small ones this year, nothing big during season, day before, different story , ahwell, learned more, onto next year!

last year i took a smaller bear last day of spring, he was a touch over 5ft, was a good eater but i'm out now dangit

Ohwildwon
12-15-2018, 12:56 PM
The best place for color phased Bears is Van Isle..:wink:

weatherby_man
12-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Seen lots of nice color phases bears in Region 3. Some chocolate/red/blonde.

Yes, I have seen a fair share in R3 as well.

Rackmastr
12-15-2018, 02:34 PM
and a lot more calves/fawns would die. we have plenty of bears, and big bears i have no problem with guys killing 5 ft bears.

If more guys would get out and shoot 2 bears each spring we would be in a great spot and still have a ton of coloured bears, ton of big bears, and fawns may do a bit better as well.

Not many guys out there shooting many bears it seems. I have no problem with guys killing a couple of smaller bears each year!

Wild one
12-15-2018, 03:22 PM
If more guys would get out and shoot 2 bears each spring we would be in a great spot and still have a ton of coloured bears, ton of big bears, and fawns may do a bit better as well.

Not many guys out there shooting many bears it seems. I have no problem with guys killing a couple of smaller bears each year!

The number of bear hunters has been increasing a lot actually and this is do to education from forum/internet dispelling the myth bears does not taste good. Most still only look at bear for sausage so are only interested in taking 1 a year.

Most don’t spend near as many days bear hunting to be successful and don’t travel near as much they go unnoticed easier as well. Where the increase in the number of bear hunters is noticed is in 2/3. That is right the invasion of lower mainland hunters all across BC does not happen most stay closer to home

I have watched bear numbers and pressure change in some MUs in 2/3 over the years. I am also starting to see some hunters pushing out farther. I don’t see this as a bad thing either

I don’t think there will be a lot of hunters who shoot 2 bears a year ever but if hunters keep educating others on eating bear meat the number of hunters who take one a year will increase

two-feet
12-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Bear hunting is such a great intro to the sport for beginners, there are many areas just thick with bears. I see the odd colour phase in the Bulkley/Skeena region but the vast majority are black, many with white markings on the chest.

RyoTHC
12-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Don't know why people don't take two bears a year, I have and will every year. Can't beat the meat and the quantity is nice too!

Plus bear hunting has to be my favorite hunting bar none

Wild one
12-15-2018, 04:27 PM
Don't know why people don't take two bears a year, I have and will every year. Can't beat the meat and the quantity is nice too!

Plus bear hunting has to be my favorite hunting bar none

Multipe hunters in the house and if we all tag out it’s more bear meat then we will each in a year

No point taking more then your house hold needs

blackbart
12-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Princess Royal Island seems to have a few:)

REMINGTON JIM
12-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Exactly ! People KILL small Deer etc :wink: All Bears should be SHOT ! :evil: jmo RJ

stixnstones
12-16-2018, 07:27 PM
I second srupp.

hunter1947
12-17-2018, 04:24 AM
Region 3 gets my vote nice color phased bears within this region..

steel_ram
12-17-2018, 09:42 AM
Seems to be quite a few north of Carpenter Lake.

Wild one
12-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Seems to be quite a few north of Carpenter Lake.

Lots in 3-32 for sure but average size is poor

Steelpulse
12-17-2018, 02:36 PM
Region 3 has a bunch for sure. My brother and I have both shot super blonde bears near Kamloops and on the day I shot mine it was the 4th beAr I saw and all were blonde cinnamon. The one I shot wasn’t huge was just over the 5’ mark but unreal coat

MRP
12-17-2018, 05:33 PM
The best colour phase bears I seen was north of Prince George summit lake to Bear lk. Seen bears there the colour of copper. Have literally traveled that road thousands of times. The old mom bear at the Talus Rd always had one black one copper.

srupp
12-17-2018, 05:46 PM
Hmmm one area I was introduced to 30 years ago as having lots of off colored bears..shot red, pure blond, blond with chocolate leggings..brown..mothers day a few years back 7 foot brown black bear. ..spectacular specimin ..now hangs in friends lodge.out west.not Doug..he shot his own big brown black bear....Doug CAN shoot thsts for sure.
Srupp

tigrr
12-17-2018, 07:45 PM
I told too many people how good bear meat tastes. Now I don't have any around me anymore. I will travel to find one now. 4 years ago I would see 30 a fall. Now I would be lucky to see 5 in a year. 6 Wolves took a big toll.

RackStar
12-17-2018, 08:03 PM
The best colour phase bears I seen was north of Prince George summit lake to Bear lk. Seen bears there the colour of copper. Have literally traveled that road thousands of times. The old mom bear at the Talus Rd always had one black one copper.

There was a very nice light brown boar all spring on the train tracks near talus, I wanted to count 15 yards off the centre line many times.

REMINGTON JIM
12-17-2018, 09:01 PM
I told too many people how good bear meat tastes. Now I don't have any around me anymore. I will travel to find one now. 4 years ago I would see 30 a fall. Now I would be lucky to see 5 in a year. 6 Wolves took a big toll.

Your saying the Wolves KILLED the Black Bear s or Bear Cubs ? RJ

.308SLAYER
12-22-2018, 03:50 PM
Seem to see a few in the okanagon every year my first blackie was a 6ft beauty color phase kinda choked I never did anything with the hide just got a full mount and the time couldn't justify more taxidermy bills

palmer
12-22-2018, 03:58 PM
lots of them around Grand Forks, you see alomost 50/50 with blacks