PDA

View Full Version : Location recommendation wanted: Spring Bear, Family Friendly, Fishing, "Camping"

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-14-2018, 12:41 PM
I didn't want to hijack the other "Spring bear" thread that is going on here, but it got me thinking: Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations for spots one can take the family for say a week or so in spring, kid-friendly accommodation (say..."cabin", etc, as tent-camping will likely be too cold for the kids), and excuse oneself for half a day at a time to go bear hunting and/or fishing? Anyone ever done this...?

wideopenthrottle
12-14-2018, 12:56 PM
I didn't want to hijack the other "Spring bear" thread that is going on here, but it got me thinking: Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations for spots one can take the family for say a week or so in spring, kid-friendly accommodation (say..."cabin", etc, as tent-camping will likely be too cold for the kids), and excuse oneself for half a day at a time to go bear hunting and/or fishing? Anyone ever done this...?

I have stayed in Osoyoos in hotels with the wife and daughter 3 times with that in mind......all 3 times I managed to get a WT during my morning escapes...heheheh

The_Bear_Man
12-14-2018, 01:51 PM
What region are your thinking about?

Wild one
12-14-2018, 02:03 PM
How far you willing to travel?

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-14-2018, 02:48 PM
Good question.... I would say up to a day of travel from GVRD?

Danny_29
12-14-2018, 03:55 PM
Nine bay lake east kootenay, so many great lakes to fish, nice lake front spots on mitten lake and plenty of bear around.

Blainer
12-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Bear will offer large amount of options
look at final week of the season, so as to have many, if not all bear out of hibernation.
Region 8 and or 3 can produce some cranker bears.
couple cabin options
Tulameen Treasure
Mile High resort
Google
Another fellow on here rents out of red Lake, not far from Kamloops.
Good Luck

Salmon Belly
12-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Another fellow on here rents out of red Lake, not far from Kamloops.
Good Luck

That's what I was thinking; I've seen some nice colour phase outside of Kammy

SB

moosinaround
12-14-2018, 04:36 PM
Head up to Finger Lake resort, or Tatuk lake resort, south of Vanderhoof! Excellent family resorts, with cabins, and access to awesome black bear hunting!! moosin

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Awesome guys, really appreciate it. Hadn't even heard of some of the places, will definitely check it out. Anyone know the member's name off red lake?

Blainer
12-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Awesome guys, really appreciate it. Hadn't even heard of some of the places, will definitely check it out. Anyone know the member's name off red lake?He is a vendor on this site.
My last visit to mile high resort/ Face lake was fabulous.
They rent boat & motor , little store avail, some nice fishing and many quality logging roads for bear
Enjoy

Wild one
12-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Francois Lake can make a good base camp for bear hunting and offers good lake trout fishing and rainbows. There is a lodge on the north west end but have not used it myself

Babine lake also has a lodge towards grandisle. Some big bears in that area mostly black phase. Lakers are smaller then Francois but rainbows can hit 8lbs also burbot you can set line for.

I don’t use cabins or lodges so don’t know how these places are to stay at

BRvalley
12-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Azouzetta lake lodge is another one to check out too

r106
12-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Sheridan lake and deka lake usually have cabins for rent.

Greenthumbed
12-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Nine bay lake east kootenay, so many great lakes to fish, nice lake front spots on mitten lake and plenty of bear around.
No cabins up there.

Iron Glove
12-14-2018, 07:38 PM
Tulameen - Kellett Cabin.
Hunter and family friendly, owner hunts, has a "hoist" right in his front yard for your bear.
Helped a fellow HBCer hoist his Spring Bear there this Spring.
While you are out hunting, family can quad right from the cabin, boat in the lake, walk to the River, walk to the Store / Café.
Highly recommend.
OK, I'm biased because our "cabin" is right across from his but really, suggest you look into it.

Salmon Belly
12-15-2018, 09:11 AM
Tulameen - Kellett Cabin.
Hunter and family friendly, owner hunts, has a "hoist" right in his front yard for your bear.
Helped a fellow HBCer hoist his Spring Bear there this Spring.
While you are out hunting, family can quad right from the cabin, boat in the lake, walk to the River, walk to the Store / Café.
Highly recommend.
OK, I'm biased because our "cabin" is right across from his but really, suggest you look into it.

If I recall you helped hoist a few beers while even the 5-year old lifted the bear, but my memory might be bad... I'll return the favour when you've got an animal on the ground (cough).

SB

Iron Glove
12-15-2018, 09:50 AM
If I recall you helped hoist a few beers while even the 5-year old lifted the bear, but my memory might be bad... I'll return the favour when you've got an animal on the ground (cough).

SB

Your 5 year old is tougher than either one of us.
You were having trouble hoisting the bear because your Toyota couldn't handle the weight. :lol:

Danny_29
12-15-2018, 10:03 AM
No cabins up there.

Correct, I thought he said camping instead of cabins. My bad.

CheesyLimper
12-15-2018, 11:24 AM
http://www.noraleeresort.com/ The one on Francois Lake

We just based a work crew there, nice place and very friendly folks running it.

Francois Lake can make a good base camp for bear hunting and offers good lake trout fishing and rainbows. There is a lodge on the north west end but have not used it myself

Babine lake also has a lodge towards grandisle. Some big bears in that area mostly black phase. Lakers are smaller then Francois but rainbows can hit 8lbs also burbot you can set line for.

I don’t use cabins or lodges so don’t know how these places are to stay at

palmer
12-15-2018, 08:19 PM
Have a look at Christina Lake mid May. Lots of fishing for the kids and lots of bears. Plenty of places to stay including cabins on the lake fairly cheap at that time of year. You can PM and I can put u on some bears. In a good year you can even swim in the lake by then

barry1974w
12-16-2018, 01:46 PM
Head up to Finger Lake resort, or Tatuk lake resort, south of Vanderhoof! Excellent family resorts, with cabins, and access to awesome black bear hunting!! moosin

what he said (I’d choose Tatuk), long days drive from the lower mainland, but it’s been done by many