PDA

View Full Version : Looking for grouse!

xfioramaster18
12-12-2018, 01:00 AM
Hello guys,

I'm a new hunter from lower mainland, and looking a good spot for grouse hunting.
Could someone share their spots?
I did some research on Norrish Creek FSR& Ruby Creek FSR, do you think that would work?

Ducks work for me too if you can kindly point out some public lands&lakes that within 2hrs drive from Burnaby. I'm looking for a quite place to practice so I don't disturb other experienced hunters.

Thanks!

Treed
12-12-2018, 01:18 AM
I’ve seen a few hanging around just past the bridge on Norish. Only problem is you have to get past the trolls. Good luck!

Rieber
12-12-2018, 07:21 AM
I didn't check the regs but is grouse still open to hunt? Don't be surprised if you don't find any since the stupid ones are long gone since September.

I did get curious and just checked the Regs and they are still open to the 15th. I had packed it in a few weeks ago - I wasn't interested in just grouse but maybe I could have gone for a walkabout scouting for rubs and other game signs. Missed an opportunity I guess.

Well you do have a little time to get out there so a drive up Stave Lake might be in order or the little lakes around Maple Ridge - Whonnok Lake area - check the regs and the Fraser Valley single projectile ban and then you'll probably need the liability insurance.

Walking train tracks trough good areas might also be something to consider but please observe all Laws and regulations.

S.W.A.T.
12-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Sprinkle sand or spruce needles on the road and watch them come running in

dmaxtech
12-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Sprinkle sand or spruce needles on the road and watch them come running in
Baiting for grouse. Is that even legal?

Rieber
12-13-2018, 07:26 AM
It would sure suck to be out there this morning in all the rain. Jeepers the puddles are getting deep, I saw a semi tractor going through a puddle on the road and the water was over the top of his bumper and he was literally plowing through the water with his grill.

I don't think you're finding grouse in this weather. Good luck.

skibum
12-13-2018, 10:43 AM
I practice grouse calls in the truck on my way to work. It has taken me 2-3 years of practice, but finally got it down this year and tagged out on my first trip.

Rieber
12-13-2018, 11:31 AM
I practice grouse calls in the truck on my way to work. It has taken me 2-3 years of practice, but finally got it down this year and tagged out on my first trip.

hah - so you're the guy I see in the mornings driving to work, doing the neck stretch and clucking like a chicken. That explains a few things. I put it to rest as someone just has a problem but practicing is cool. Good use of the time.

Wild one
12-13-2018, 11:41 AM
hah - so you're the guy I see in the mornings driving to work, doing the neck stretch and clucking like a chicken. That explains a few things. I put it to rest as someone just has a problem but practicing is cool. Good use of the time.

In Abby those are just meth heads on their way home after a night of stealing what they can for their next hit.

Rieber
12-13-2018, 11:56 AM
In Abby those are just meth heads on their way home after a night of stealing what they can for their next hit.

No - meth heads don't drive. Their addiction consumes their vehicles and lives.

Nope - the guy I see near the Pautullo Bridge surely is a chicken cluckin, grouse caller.

xfioramaster18
12-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Thanks Treed, ill try to figure that out.

xfioramaster18
12-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Hello Rieber, thank you so much for sharing:) Ya, it's closed now so I'll have to wait until next year. I'm going to try some ducks instead, do you have any good suggestions on hunting ducks?

Wild one
12-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Waterfowl if you have a boat check out the Harrison river

xfioramaster18
12-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Thanks so much for sharing! But grouse is closed now, I'll have to wait until next year:)

Wild one
12-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Thanks so much for sharing! But grouse is closed now, I'll have to wait until next year:)

Waterfowl = ducks/geese not grouse

xfioramaster18
12-15-2018, 03:58 PM
I'm thinking to get a Kayak first for waterfowl, do you think that would work?

Wild one
12-15-2018, 04:01 PM
Never tried a kayak so don’t know but can see it being tough to pack decoys

S.W.A.T.
12-15-2018, 07:22 PM
Baiting for grouse. Is that even legal?

It's more of a joke. But it is what grouse will feed on in the morning

Rieber
12-15-2018, 07:54 PM
Never tried a kayak so don’t know but can see it being tough to pack decoys

No - just tow them behind you.

Rupert Retired
12-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Grouse are plentiful in September, tapering off in October, and by the end of October have basically disappeared into the woods. November grouse that are availble near the roads are basically very unlucky. I can't say they are stupid, because they are all are stupid! Spruce grouse are the stupidest. Ruffed grouse are usually alert, and will not wait around very long after you sight them. Blue Grouse are not plentiful, except in certain circumstances. If you really want to go hunting grouse, and pop them in their heads, go in Sep or whenever the season opens in your area (sometimes August). Also, I use a .17HMR, it is awesome for head shots, I won't shoot a grouse unless I head shoot it. My .17 HMR can put 5 shots in the size of a dime.

Rieber
12-15-2018, 10:26 PM
My .17 HMR can put 5 shots in the size of a dime.
Pffft - Big deal - any hunting rifle can do that to a certain distance. At grouse hunting range, inside 25 yards - this would be
typical for a .22LR. Surely you must be talking about some significant distance. If you're talking 100yards well then that is impressive but that's far from a typical distance for a grouse shot. Heck, I don't think I can even see grouse at 100yards.

I also only head shoot grouse. Cheap and easy with a nicely scoped .22. I'll be that .17 is a lot of fun with that extra range and velocity.

Rupert Retired
12-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Rieber - Yes I agree with your comments on .22 scoped. I used to shoot a .22 iron sights with .22 shorts and was deadly. I used to carry a pocket full of shorts, longs, and long rifles, and used them as the situation dictated! Alas, the key word is "used to". Now I am old, and using a scoped .17 has been a pleasure, for sure. I am not saying the .22 is not just as capable at grouse ranges (usually 20 - 30 meters), I am only saying that I have found the .17 HMR and am enamored of it!

Wild one
12-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Meh mow them down with a 12ga way better for head shots

Rieber
12-19-2018, 06:17 PM
Rieber - Yes I agree with your comments on .22 scoped. I used to shoot a .22 iron sights with .22 shorts and was deadly. I used to carry a pocket full of shorts, longs, and long rifles, and used them as the situation dictated! Alas, the key word is "used to". Now I am old, and using a scoped .17 has been a pleasure, for sure. I am not saying the .22 is not just as capable at grouse ranges (usually 20 - 30 meters), I am only saying that I have found the .17 HMR and am enamored of it!

I suspect I'll pick one up one day when they're on sale. Little sniper rifles.