PDA

View Full Version : Spring bear 2019

drift6969
12-11-2018, 11:58 AM
I'm planning a spring bear hunt for 2019. My question is which region is in the most need of a population reduction? I feel I would be contributing to conservation and at the same time filling my freezer.

Thanks

todbartell
12-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Regions 1 thru 8 ?

RackStar
12-11-2018, 12:00 PM
There’s even a few left in 9

moosinaround
12-11-2018, 12:26 PM
If you are not fussy about size, or color of bear, come up to Region 7. 2 bears in 2 days, hell 2 bears in one day! Lots of bears to choose from up here! Mid may to end of May be the best time! Moosin

RackStar
12-11-2018, 12:30 PM
^^^^^^
aint that the truth.

First week of June , day trip, count on seeing at least 5 bears in a day

Rieber
12-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Hunting shows are constantly showcasing Van Island - hunters just walking up the FSR until they see something black, then stock it on the road to within 200 yards and POP - dead bear on the road.

When (months) do the young ones get set on their own from the Sows?

drift6969
12-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Wow that's amazing! I'll take a look at that area on a map and see what it looks like.

Thanks

If you are not fussy about size, or color of bear, come up to Region 7. 2 bears in 2 days, hell 2 bears in one day! Lots of bears to choose from up here! Mid may to end of May be the best time! Moosin

drift6969
12-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Doesn't van island have lot's of hunting pressure.

Hunting shows are constantly showcasing Van Island - hunters just walking up the FSR until they see something black, then stock it on the road to within 200 yards and POP - dead bear on the road.

monasheemountainman
12-11-2018, 01:12 PM
there are bears everywhere...there is a lot of hunting pressure everywhere BUT spring bear is usually much quieter, because not enough people are taking advantage of bear hunting.

Good2bCanadian
12-11-2018, 01:26 PM
We hit up region 7 last year and made it a trout fishing/bear hunting week trip.
Was one of my favorite trips.
Sleep in. Go fish a few hours. Have a trout shore lunch. Go hunt bears mid day to evening. Repeat.

Frank grimes
12-11-2018, 01:42 PM
We hit up region 7 last year and made it a trout fishing/bear hunting week trip.
Sleep in. Go fish a few hours. Have a trout shore lunch. Go hunt bears mid day to evening. Repeat.
I agree. Fly fishing and bear hunting in the spring is a great time. Just about anywhere in bc.

caddisguy
12-11-2018, 02:53 PM
I would just save the gas and go wherever is closest to home.

moosinaround
12-11-2018, 03:07 PM
Wow that's amazing! I'll take a look at that area on a map and see what it looks like.

Thanks
PM me if you decide to head North. I usually take 12 days off to hunt bears, and do a bit of fishing. I can let ya know how things are looking up here! Moosin

RugDoctor
12-11-2018, 03:48 PM
All I know is that I’m already ready to go. The fall bear from this year is delicious, and I’m doing it again!

Anyone make bacon out of bear belly? Is it the same as doing it from pork?

bigredchev
12-11-2018, 04:54 PM
im planning on region 5.

went out for the last week of may this year and it was just too early. we only saw 1 beer, but once the rest of the group saw a few.

planned for the first week of june, same area. its all weather dependant at that window.

big breakfast, fish and hunt from lunch on. its a great way to spend time

Salty
12-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Its the day after the end of deer season where I sit and you guys are all gearing up for spring bear. Well done :!:

caddisguy
12-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Its the day after the end of deer season where I sit and you guys are all gearing up for spring bear. Well done :!:

Still got 4 more days of deer hunting for me... well, technically 1 (Dec 15) because I have to work until then. Talk about crunch time!! :)

I wonder if the CO's would raise an eyebrow if I shoot a deer on Dec 15 and I am driving out with it the next morning. Because that is exactly what is going to happen.

srupp
12-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Hmmm Region 5 sucked for black bears out east last year..hmmm so did flyfishing..
Best time is may east of the pond first week of june out west..
Hmm with Tim in Duncan now maybe vancouver island. ..
Srupp

snipersights
12-11-2018, 05:56 PM
Vancouver island has amazing bear hunting in the spring. Me and two friends took out 6 bears this year

Wild one
12-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Hunted black bear in every region but 4 in BC. I would say eastern region 5, along with most of 6, and 7. Valemount, Likely, and Smithers are great black bear hunting

Time wise last week of May first week of June this way no matter how spring goes there will be green areas and the rut is on so boars are on the move

RugDoctor
12-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Vancouver island has amazing bear hunting in the spring. Me and two friends took out 6 bears this year
Exactly where? Like.....exactly ;)

Wild one
12-11-2018, 06:46 PM

Smithers is better and no ferry lol

caddisguy
12-11-2018, 10:17 PM
I'm probably not going to shoot a bear this year. Still eating on 2017 bear before I start 2018 bear. 5 for 5 in just as many years. I'll probably take a couple folks out to some new bear spots I stumbled across and walk them up to some nice boars with a camera in hand. 2 trips max. Gonna hit the lakes and give the rainbows heck. Might take one crack at ***hole bear if he's still around.

IslandWanderer
12-11-2018, 11:07 PM

Literally, all over the island.

tinhorse
12-11-2018, 11:16 PM
Literally, all over the island.
He means where ever there isn't a gate......

Dlo11
12-12-2018, 12:38 AM
I'm hoping to get my first big game this spring 3 years in so far no big game so spring bear cant come fast enough

Ohwildwon
12-12-2018, 12:58 AM
I'm probably not going to shoot a bear this year. Still eating on 2017 bear before I start 2018 bear. 5 for 5 in just as many years. I'll probably take a couple folks out to some new bear spots I stumbled across and walk them up to some nice boars with a camera in hand. 2 trips max. Gonna hit the lakes and give the rainbows heck. Might take one crack at ***hole bear if he's still around.

Ha, have to get Fcuk hole Bear! :p

Along with myself and probably many others in this province..:smile:

walks with deer
12-12-2018, 07:40 AM
please shoot region 3 bears..lol

caddisguy no issue transporting a deer on the 16th shot on 15th.

drift6969
12-12-2018, 08:32 AM
For sure thanks!

PM me if you decide to head North. I usually take 12 days off to hunt bears, and do a bit of fishing. I can let ya know how things are looking up here! Moosin

drift6969
12-12-2018, 08:36 AM
Lot's of good info. So if I read the regs correctly max bear allowance in some areas are 2?

Wild one
12-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Most of BC is a 2 bear limit and depending on the size of bears you shoot it can be a lot of meat.

You can find black bear all over BC and you are going to get lots of recommendations. There are many locations that tagging out on a one week hunt is easy and a good possibility of tagging a big bear as well. There is also many parts of B.C. that are OK bear hunting that are still worth hunting to many. Some places bears move all day others movement is really only part of the day. Do to pressure some places bears are skiddish and most run other places a large portion stick around having little fear

Here is the other issue is everyone has different standards on what is good bear hunting and what a good bear is. To some a good day bear hunting is seeing 5 bears to others that’s a slow day. Size wise to some a bear that makes BC book(19 inch skull) is a bear of a lifetime to others it’s just a nice bear

In my opinion if you are going to plan a trip pick an area that you want to scout for other species or you can do a good fishing/bear hunt combo

What is your goal big bear, colour, meat, or just to get out?

PressurePoint
12-12-2018, 09:45 AM
Anywhere north of Prince George to Mackenzie, faaaackin bears everywhere.

Sharpish
12-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Hmmm Region 5 sucked for black bears out east last year..hmmm so did flyfishing..
Srupp

If you come to the island you better send me a message. I've got a beer or two to buy you.

Rieber
12-12-2018, 10:15 AM
PG /MacKenzie is expensive Bear. Better to get them closer to home.

Wild one
12-12-2018, 10:42 AM
PG /MacKenzie is expensive Bear. Better to get them closer to home.

Making a longer trip can be well worth it.That really depends on what you are looking for in a bear hunt/experience

A week bear hunting seeing 5-30 bears a day where tagging out is basically your choice. Taking at least one bear with a 19+inch skull is highly likely and 18 inch is a cake walk. Then combined good fishing for big lakers and rainbows. Enjoying peace and quiet with almost no one around.

This is just one opinion

This sound like a good trip? Lol

Or is hanging out in Harrison with all the drunk off road guys and trash with a good day being 1-5 bears that often make a run for it more your style? Lol

Lots of options out there for bear hunting and yes one can stay close to home but it all depends on the experience and goals your looking to meet

skibum
12-12-2018, 11:20 AM

This sounds f'in awesome

Rieber
12-12-2018, 11:25 AM
Making a longer trip can be well worth it.That really depends on what you are looking for in a bear hunt/experience

A week bear hunting seeing 5-30 bears a day where tagging out is basically your choice. Taking at least one bear with a 19+inch skull is highly likely and 18 inch is a cake walk. Then combined good fishing for big lakers and rainbows. Enjoying peace and quiet with almost no one around.

This is just one opinion

This sound like a good trip? Lol

Or is hanging out in Harrison with all the drunk off road guys and trash with a good day being 1-5 bears that often make a run for it more your style? Lol

Lots of options out there for bear hunting and yes one can stay close to home but it all depends on the experience and goals your looking to meet

You are 100% correct. I actually tried going up Harrison this season and what a miserable gong show for sure. I turned around after 7km and left out of there - it was like a scene from Mad Max and peppered my truck with stones flying from the ATVs and jacked up jeeps. Never again. I found a few nice spots well away from salmon streams and garbage this year that showed bears and easy enough to get them to the truck without destroying myself on cut blocks. I'm not a trophy hunter, I'm in it to fill the freezer but don't get me wrong - if I have the option to choose between two animals, it's likely the bigger one that's going to receive my attention.

skibum
12-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Kamloops Area - Over the last 4 years I have shot more wolves than bears seen. And I really wanted a bear, did not really want to see the wolves in my deer hunting areas. I must have a bear/wolf jinx. I did take a bear this fall up Shuswap way (first in 5 years), but man was I getting frustrated buying that bear tag year after year.

Talked to a CO two summers ago, said the bears had a rough winter in the area - as it was longer than they were used to and it hit them hard.

RackStar
12-12-2018, 12:14 PM
100% wild one.

7a is a great place to spend a few days, lots of bears, lots of amazing lakes, makes for a GREAT experience and a good hunt.

Wild one
12-12-2018, 12:16 PM
You are 100% correct. I actually tried going up Harrison this season and what a miserable gong show for sure. I turned around after 7km and left out of there - it was like a scene from Mad Max and peppered my truck with stones flying from the ATVs and jacked up jeeps. Never again. I found a few nice spots well away from salmon streams and garbage this year that showed bears and easy enough to get them to the truck without destroying myself on cut blocks. I'm not a trophy hunter, I'm in it to fill the freezer but don't get me wrong - if I have the option to choose between two animals, it's likely the bigger one that's going to receive my attention.

I actually started traveling to increase my success rate and got picky with bears do to the lbs of meat on them not trophies. It was realizing passing on a few to get one with twice the lbs of meat was less work then shooting 2 bears is what did it. At first I did not realize I was shooting above average to big bears till others brought it to my attention lol. Now I just measure my skulls for the hell of it but rarely keep anything but meat

Really my meat bear standards are just really high and when I have enough bear meat in the freezer I hunt with stupid high standards so I can keep bear hunting because I enjoy it. Some say i trophy hunt but it’s not why I am picky

Then I found I just enjoyed my time hunting these locations and the ability to add fishing/scouting as well. Combination of higher bear numbers and adding other activities makes for more memorable trips

Start combining harvest goals with going out and enjoying the whole trip to the fullest it’s hard to beat.

Wild one
12-12-2018, 12:26 PM
100% wild one.

7a is a great place to spend a few days, lots of bears, lots of amazing lakes, makes for a GREAT experience and a good hunt.

By far 5,6, and 7 have to be my top choices to hunt black bear. If you like 7a you need to head West into 6 it gets even better in my opinion for both fishing and bear hunting

A heads up for anyone wanting to try regions 6 or 7 take your time to look at the bear before you shoot because I have seen some of the biggest bears in these regions but also some of the smallest. In my opinion this is due to the number of sows with 3-4 cubs in these regions.

Rieber
12-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Hmmm - this concept of combined fishing and bear hunt is really starting to appeal to me. Except if I happen to get a bear on the first evening, then the idea of spending the night in the canopy with a dead bear suddenly puts a damper on that party.

I'm going to give that a bit more thought.

Wild one
12-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Hmmm - this concept of combined fishing and bear hunt is really starting to appeal to me. Except if I happen to get a bear on the first evening, then the idea of spending the night in the canopy with a dead bear suddenly puts a damper on that party.

I'm going to give that a bit more thought.

Why are you cuddling with a dead bear lol

Hang it in a tree where it’s shady with a good breeze. Lots of tricks to buy you a few days after a bear is down. Some places I have drove to higher elevation with bags of deboned meat and buried them in the snow

But hey if you want to cuddle with your bear instead that’s your call lol

Rieber
12-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Why are you cuddling with a dead bear lol

Hang it in a tree where it’s shady with a good breeze. Lots of tricks to buy you a few days after a bear is down. Some places I have drove to higher elevation with bags of deboned meat and buried them in the snow

But hey if you want to cuddle with your bear instead that’s your call lol

Meh - He would keep me warm for a little while at least. lol.
Rieber cuddles with the dead bear - that's not a very nice picture for the bear.

gcreek
12-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Srupp

Wonder how many the healthy population of grizzly have thinned out.

Can a grizzly eat enough black bears to therefore be called a black bear?:):twisted:

Gateholio
12-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Seems like lots of interest in bear hunting already !

Maybe it’s time for another HBC bear contest this spring ? :)

bc_buckshot
12-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Did we have a bear contest this year 2018?..... if so I have the winning bear in my freezer.

Wild one
12-12-2018, 05:56 PM
Did we have a bear contest this year 2018?..... if so I have the winning bear in my freezer.

What did your bear score in the end?

srupp
12-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Did we have a bear contest this year 20down.... if so I have the winning bear in my freezer.

Hmmm yes you do have a great bear..no doubt about that..but seen 2 harvested last year from HBC members that were seriously big..bodies..and skulls..
Great bears all around..been a couple years since I put a big one down..much prefer colored phased bb..over 7 feet..
Good luck to all..
Cheers

Steven

Wild one
12-12-2018, 06:03 PM
There is no doubt some big bears that were never posted. Seen pics of a few tanks

Right now there is two bears that make BC book in my freezer alone lol

RackStar
12-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Wild one

what area of 6 would you recommend? Smithers ?

Wild one
12-12-2018, 06:41 PM
Wild one

what area of 6 would you recommend? Smithers ?

Some of my spots I have to wait and see what impact the fires have had come spring. Some pockets are not looking good

North of Smithers I do have some pockets I really like

Just think of it this way you know what it’s like near pg well the habitat/feed gets better to the west and there is less people

anything else is PM only

45freezer
12-13-2018, 04:56 PM
Anyone make bacon out of bear belly? Is it the same as doing it from pork?

Asked my butcher about that this year, he basically said yes and it's absolutely delicious but it has to be the right bear, spring bears are generally leaner than fall bears and if there's not enough fat it's not worth it according to him...definitely on my "to try" list though when I do put the right one on the ground!

RugDoctor
12-13-2018, 05:44 PM
Asked my butcher about that this year, he basically said yes and it's absolutely delicious but it has to be the right bear, spring bears are generally leaner than fall bears and if there's not enough fat it's not worth it according to him...definitely on my "to try" list though when I do put the right one on the ground!

Awesome....I’ll try it this spring!

I would think a little less fat on a bear might be better? Game fat doesn’t usually taste quite the same and I find less is better (for the most part).

moosinaround
12-13-2018, 07:19 PM
Hmmm yes you do have a great bear..no doubt about that..but seen 2 harvested last year from HBC members that were seriously big..bodies..and skulls..
Great bears all around..been a couple years since I put a big one down..much prefer colored phased bb..over 7 feet..
Good luck to all..
Cheers

Steven

Steven, I passed on a few bears last spring, looking for the pumpkin head color phase. I would shoot a huge black colored bear though, if presented with a 7'er! Can't wait for spring2019, wolves and Yotes will have to fill the void till then! That last huge color phase you shot sure was a beauty! Thats my measuring stick! Moosin

45freezer
12-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Wonder how many the healthy population of grizzly have thinned out.

Can a grizzly eat enough black bears to therefore be called a black bear?:):twisted:

You are what you eat right?

Awesome....I’ll try it this spring!

I would think a little less fat on a bear might be better? Game fat doesn’t usually taste quite the same and I find less is better (for the most part).

Highly dependent on diet from what I understand, I'm certainly no expert though. Shot a bear in May that had been eating skunk cabbage, didn't trim any fat off any of the steaks and although some bits were tougher to chew down than others there was no problem at all with the flavor...a bear shot on a river in early November would most likely be a different story. Legend has it that fall bears that have primarily been eating berries can develop a sweet taste to their fat, have a spot in mind to test this theory out myself next September, maybe someone else can weigh in on how consistent that is though.

ACB
12-14-2018, 11:42 AM
You are what you eat, a buddy of mine shot a fall bear around Fort ST. James that had been feeding heavily on wild rose hips. You couldn't eat it. Yet we've had fall bears that were feeding on blue berries ( blue huckleberries) and were very good. If you don't want to take the chance, a early spring bear is your best bet.

Wild one
12-14-2018, 11:49 AM
I actually liked the bears I have shot that have been eating rose hips

I like them lean so spring bear is what I proffer vs greasy fall bears

drift6969
01-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Anyone getting excited?

barry1974w
01-11-2019, 11:21 AM
im planning on region 5.

went out for the last week of may this year and it was just too early. we only saw 1 beer, but once the rest of the group saw a few.

planned for the first week of june, same area. its all weather dependant at that window.

big breakfast, fish and hunt from lunch on. its a great way to spend time

only saw one beer in a week!!!! Now that’s tragic;)

Darksith
01-11-2019, 11:24 PM
Sure its easy to go blast a B Bear in my back yard, but I like the adventure. I would like to maybe go explore towards Bella Coola, looking for a big black bear...any tips or suggestions? Usually I go to Van Isle, but maybe thinking about not having to hit a ferry...

HarryToolips
01-11-2019, 11:34 PM
There’s even a few left in 9
Lol yup,I'm in region 9, there's lots of bears to kill out here..

roddem
01-12-2019, 10:06 AM
hi everyone. another question abt taxidermy . if its decent bear 100+ kg should i open and skin him (and how to do it correctly ) ? if its happen far frm the road its only option.
if its 1st week of summer it could be really hot weather - how much time i have ...
that taxidermists charge $2k + for rag ...not cheap . how all that process works ? should i find somebody and book in advance ?
thanks
Rod

Wild one
01-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Sure its easy to go blast a B Bear in my back yard, but I like the adventure. I would like to maybe go explore towards Bella Coola, looking for a big black bear...any tips or suggestions? Usually I go to Van Isle, but maybe thinking about not having to hit a ferry...

What kind of trip are you looking to experience? Personally my advice is always think about locations you would like to scout for other species or make it a fishing combo

Never done Bella Coola but in my opinion done right it has the potential of being an awesome hunt/experience. I would do this by boat off the ocean if it was my trip. Combo of fishing and hunting

Considering doing this but in the North west coast

There is so many awesome bear hunting locations that basically no one bear hunts in BC. Lots of places that don’t have the islands reputation but meet or surpass it in quality bear hunting

Wild one
01-12-2019, 10:27 AM
hi everyone. another question abt taxidermy . if its decent bear 100+ kg should i open and skin him (and how to do it correctly ) ? if its happen far frm the road its only option.
if its 1st week of summer it could be really hot weather - how much time i have ...
that taxidermists charge $2k + for rag ...not cheap . how all that process works ? should i find somebody and book in advance ?
thanks
Rod

Best advice is talk to a taxidermist because they will give you the most reliable advice

Skin, flesh, salt and keep the hide dry does wonders if done right

walks with deer
01-12-2019, 11:34 AM
bella coola has a lot of bears and is a experiance..
i never hunted there just fought a fire

Fella
01-12-2019, 12:06 PM
I’ll be doing a 10 day solo trip end of May this year, wife is visiting family over in Europe. I am kind of thinking about doing a mini-tour of sorts, hitting a few different areas every day or two. There’s a lot of the province I haven’t seen despite living here my whole life! I have a few places in mind but wondering if anyone had any general areas they would recommend?

Wild one
01-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Northwest BC is great bear hunting and fishing. Don’t know what you’re into so it’s hard to really make a suggestion

Jagermeister
01-12-2019, 02:59 PM
I don't think it matters too much where you go in BC. Black bears will be there, it's just a matter of finding them. With that said.
I am not keen on bear but much prefer spring bear, less fat. Where to hunt spring bear. When bears emerge, the first thing they want to do is purge themselves, get the bowl moving. That means they want to forage on some nice new grass and other soft vegetation. Look for south slopes where the grass is exposed to the sun and of course the grass is going to grow greener and faster there. After that watch for ungulates giving birth. A slight whiff of placenta on a meandering spring breeze will have them charging inbound. Pays to pack a fawn in distress call too. You will be doing the ungulate population good too.
Ever eat omega 3 eggs? They taste pretty good poached, fried or boiled. I whipped some up for a light omelette a while back and soon discovered where the omega 3 comes from. Chickens are fed fish meal and that is the source of omega 3.
Fall bear hunting? Want to get omega 3 in your bear meat? Hunt the spawning beds along the rivers or where the fish carcasses accumulate on the lake shores. Otherwise, find the biggest berry patch.
I was to the Salmon Arm Fish and Game Club banquet a couple of years back. The members donate various game meats. For the occasion, Sedo's butcher shop makes a bear/deer/jalapeno and a bear/elk/jalapeno pepperoni which is served as hors d'oeuvres. Hmm m good.

BStrachan
01-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Lots of bears on VI but with that being said. I think all regions need a bear population reduction

IslandWanderer
01-12-2019, 07:54 PM
B bear capital of the planet- north vancouver island.

Wild one
01-12-2019, 08:14 PM
B bear capital of the planet- north vancouver island.

Good black bear hunting and even better marketing lol

Some nice bears between hardy and winter harbour but I will take north west BC over north island

two-feet
01-12-2019, 08:21 PM
I will try for a spring bear this year, sausage and tanned hide if lucky. Seeing 10 a day is typical for early June in 6-8 and 6-9, its a great hunt for beginner hunters. I would be happy to share spots with anybody that would like.

IslandWanderer
01-12-2019, 09:11 PM
Good black bear hunting and even better marketing lol

Some nice bears between hardy and winter harbour but I will take north west BC over north island

Definitely good numbers- not particularly big though.

Wild one
01-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Definitely good numbers- not particularly big though.

No matter where you go you need to see a fair number of bears to find a big one.

IslandWanderer
01-12-2019, 09:59 PM
No matter where you go you need to see a fair number of bears to find a big one.

Good to know. I was starting to wonder.

Wild one
01-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Good to know. I was starting to wonder.

Big bears are old and they get that way from 3 reasons lack of pressure, live in a hell hole or being smart.

Hunt places with no preasure and good feed there will be a higher % of big bears but most are still going to be 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 foot bears

I see 5-30 bears a day hunting in the spring and only see a handful of bears that are truly big each spring. I also put in a lot of days and try to pattern big bears when I find them. There is bears I have targeted for multiple years even

Ohwildwon
01-12-2019, 10:53 PM
Big, North Island Bears, are more likely to be eating fish-seafood?..

I'll never forget the one we almost hit driving out of Cape Scott, had to be damn near 500lbs..

IslandWanderer
01-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Big, North Island Bears, are more likely to be eating fish-seafood?..

I'll never forget the one we almost hit driving out of Cape Scott, had to be damn near 500lbs..

Good info, thanks. The one in my avatar was a decent size and reeked of fish.

TyTy
01-12-2019, 11:05 PM
All types of predators have thick populations along the boundaries of region 3

Pioneerman
01-12-2019, 11:35 PM
I am sitting here shaking my head, not sure what to tell you. Some are saying go north rather than here on island. Good for us, less people coming here lol. We have tons of food and berries fore them to thrive and grow here, they do not need to eat fish but they can, so do not shoot one lower down around rivers, simple. I have shot and seen many big bears. We have a very healthy supply and contrary to some statements ours can get very large, but really for eating I like 150 - 250 lb bears. I have taken a lot of bears in 45 years of hunting here and I have never had a bad one, although that usually comes from those to will not eat one to begin with lol Spring bears have so much less fat and that can make them weigh 40 to 60% less, but who really eats all the fat lol. Most bears taken to fill my freezer has been mid island, but when you want to see more bears and lots of time to watch and choose one then north island is better. I have camped near Woss for 5 days and 4 nights so part day start and end, and seen 33 bears. No not all the same ones I tried to not recount from same slash area. unless total different bears, not always easy to tell lol. Also north end of island is very steep so you can get up on hill side and watch three of 4 other mountains looking for one you might want to pout a stalk on, so spotting scope is nice to have. Also there is more wolves and cougars that way too and over the last few years , Grizzly bears on the island spotted as far south as Campbell river or so I was told by CO last year. Good luck where ever you go. Oh also if going north island it might rain lmao be prepared ;-)

Wild one
01-12-2019, 11:54 PM
Hunted the north island it’s good but I prefer north western BC. If you live on the island there is no point in leaving it to hunt black bear but if you have to take a ferry to get there I say go north

You might be shaking your head but I reached my judgment from hunting both areas and many others

Truth is BC hold lots of good black bear options

Pioneerman
01-13-2019, 12:16 AM
Hunted the north island it’s good but I prefer north western BC. If you live on the island there is no point in learning it to hunt black bear but if you have to take a ferry to get there I say go north

You might be shaking your head but I reached my judgment from hunting both areas and many others

Truth is BC hold lots of good black bear options

Yes all of BC hold a lot of bears, but per Sq kms there is more on Van island. Island is est 12000 so 1 every 3 kms mainland is estimated 108,000 after you remove island volume, that is 1 per 9 kms. I am curious why you feel north is better ? You do get colour bears which we do not and that is always a nice treat. I hunted moose every year north for 40 years and I saw bears for sure, but nothing like island quantities. True I live here so feel I can give pretty good facts and trying to give insight, so how long did you live and hunt here and time in the regions you are living in now. Success rates would be higher here, or at least sightings. What in your opinion makes northern BC better for bear hunting ? Always willing to learn more facts. And yes I will keep shaking my head, there was as lot of different suggestions, where will the new guy start ? Sorry should have said Western, above

Wild one
01-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Yes all of BC hold a lot of bears, but per Sq kms there is more on Van island. Island is est 12000 so 1 every 3 kms mainland is estimated 108,000 after you remove island volume, that is 1 per 9 kms. I am curious why you feel north is better ? You do get colour bears which we do not and that is always a nice treat. I hunted moose every year north for 40 years and I saw bears for sure, but nothing like island quantities. True I live here so feel I can give pretty good facts and trying to give insight, so how long did you live and hunt here and time in the regions you are living in now. Success rates would be higher here, or at least sightings. What in your opinion makes northern BC better for bear hunting ? Always willing to learn more facts. And yes I will keep shaking my head, there was as lot of different suggestions, where will the new guy start ? Sorry should have said Western, above

One of my mentors guided bear in a number of areas in BC and was a bit of a bear nut. Myself and a few others caught the bug and went OCD bear hunting all over seeking quality bears and numbers. Only area that was never put to the true test was QCI and region 4. All of us targeted the island in the past but most of us won’t go there to strictly hunt bear any more. We have been asked many times why put in that much effort for black bear lol

Not all of BC hold a lot of bears and some ares hold way higher density. Well aware of the numbers you are quoting but 2 things to remember when comparing the mainland and the island. The quality of bear habitat and bear density vary a lot more on the mainland vs the island. Big difference hunting the mainland is targeting pockets vs the whole area holding high density

When hunting the mainland you can experience high bear sightings easily in the right locations. But if you are going to wonder at random you are going to see more bears on the island. Mainland if you just wonder you will find the density of bears varies a lot more. Target the right areas in the spring you will see just as many bears on the mainland hunt the wrong area and you will see way more on the island. Best day I have had spotting bears in northern BC was 60+ average is 10-20 in many of my good mainland locations. Not much different then I experienced in the North Island with the average of sightings

You mentioned not seeing many bears on your moose hunts not surprised. Fall bear hunting in the North is not near as good. One of the things about the North the spring bears are less spread out compared to the island. This is when the density becomes like the island. Come fall they spread out and you really need to target them to find 5 a day. Even in the spring there is plenty of areas you will only see ok numbers

Here is what made my crew stop targeting the island and that is size. Yes this may sound nuts but the biggest bears we have found are on the mainland(only one of us got to hunt QCI bears but this held huge potential to change my opinion ). Now that said the average size is better on the island. What we found is Northern BC and some other parts of B.C. there is more bears breaking the 19 inch mark do to lack of pressure from both residents and GOs. There are so many places hunters don’t target bears and often pass on them because they don’t want to screw up their hunt for another species. Now if you target some of the out of the way areas that hold poor ungulate numbers very few hunters even bother with the area bears increase their odds of getting old.

I found the highest numbers of bear hunters are on the island and region 2. The GOs on the island also target bears more then mainland GOs do to lack of other species. There has been little to no effort to market guided hunts for black bear outside of the island and some don’t target them at all. Parts of the mainland the bears just have a better chance of getting old

Another thing we learned over time was the different physical traits in different parts of B.C.. Island bears are common to have that classic short nose and wide head giving them the basketball look. In the North west the bears are prone to have a longer nose and won’t have that look. We also found island bears are more prone to being meat heads and often have a smaller skull than they appear to have. Their body’s are even proportioned slightly different

We found a mix of different physical traits throughout BC. Sometimes A few mountain ranges over is all that is needed to see different traits

As for success rate if your timing is good taking a bear in Northern BC or the North island is a cakewalk in my opinion. But odds of finding a big bear that gives you a high % opportunity of taking him the island is not my choice

Black bear is one animal I put a stupid amount of effort into compared to most. I have my reasons for my opinions and I know the mainstream opinions of where to hunt bears because that is where I started.

I could ramble for days on black bear and type too slow so just going to stop here lol

Pioneerman
01-13-2019, 01:50 PM
I could ramble for days on black bear and type too slow so just going to stop here lol

Let me say I appreciate this far more than , hunt here I am right you are wrong attitude I have seen so often on sites and our messages going back and forth were heading in that direction. I know the animals per sq kms are kind of skewed, mainly becasue there is not a plentiful food source everywhere in BC that allows bears to lumber around and drop their heads and come up with a full mouth of food. Like what happen in the damp rain forest coasts we have . That is why our bears tend to have weight compared to many other places, for your fat head examples. This posting you made is far better and gives the OP an idea what you are meaning and also gives me an idea the point you are trying to get across when saying you do not want to come here. I do know there are many places in BC that you might not see any bears and pretty much never anything big if you did see them. No doubt you have some good spots picked out and as I do also, so comes down to the old saying we had in school yards. My bears dad will kick your bears dads ass lmao ;-)

caddisguy
01-13-2019, 02:22 PM
They're blackbears... they are everywhere and not particularly bright. Let's not overcomplicate it :D

snipersights
01-13-2019, 02:33 PM
Vancouver island region come get em

Wild one
01-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Let me say I appreciate this far more than , hunt here I am right you are wrong attitude I have seen so often on sites and our messages going back and forth were heading in that direction. I know the animals per sq kms are kind of skewed, mainly becasue there is not a plentiful food source everywhere in BC that allows bears to lumber around and drop their heads and come up with a full mouth of food. Like what happen in the damp rain forest coasts we have . That is why our bears tend to have weight compared to many other places, for your fat head examples. This posting you made is far better and gives the OP an idea what you are meaning and also gives me an idea the point you are trying to get across when saying you do not want to come here. I do know there are many places in BC that you might not see any bears and pretty much never anything big if you did see them. No doubt you have some good spots picked out and as I do also, so comes down to the old saying we had in school yards. My bears dad will kick your bears dads ass lmao ;-)

Like I said Vancouver Island is still a good place for black bear and it holds some big bears ones I just don’t think as highly of it as most. If it did not involve a ferry I would recommend it over some other areas I suggest.

Plus we all know my Dad could beat your Dad any day of the week so that’s all that matters :lol:

Wild one
01-13-2019, 02:53 PM
They're blackbears... they are everywhere and not particularly bright. Let's not overcomplicate it :D

Its too late for me my OCD took over years ago when it comes to black bear lol

I am beyond help now

caddisguy
01-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Its too late for me my OCD took over years ago when it comes to black bear lol

I am beyond help now

LOL I hear ya. I'm thinking about it recently too. It's hard. I know I won't get out much this year.

Oh well. I only just started eating the 2018 bear. Burgers are cooking at this exact moment. Small bear but probably the best I have had so far.

Wild one
01-13-2019, 04:34 PM
LOL I hear ya. I'm thinking about it recently too. It's hard. I know I won't get out much this year.

Oh well. I only just started eating the 2018 bear. Burgers are cooking at this exact moment. Small bear but probably the best I have had so far.

I have too many friends who remind me about spring bear from them asking for advice, trying to get me to join their trip or asking to take them around my place. If they would just leave me alone my mind may return to normal lol

Right now I am debating on just hunting near home or doing a trip to the coast

Since this is my last spring hunting bear as a B.C. resident might even put in for QCI black bear

drift6969
01-13-2019, 06:03 PM
How do you guys prevent your meat from spoiling during warm days?

Fella
01-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Drive home lol

two-feet
01-13-2019, 07:02 PM
I love the fall bears, layers of fat for rendering lard and the roasts are unreal. They are not stacked up like in the spring when they are on grass, but the berry fed bears taste better. And 20-40% bigger.

I am tired of chasing bears into the bush after the shot. It is outrageously fun but maybe age is tempering my capacity for risk. I plan on switching to copper bullets in my .308 and using shoulder shots, no more almost stepping on wounded bears in thick bush for me.

Wild one
01-13-2019, 07:24 PM

All depends on the weather but for the most part deboned small portions in game bags hung in the shade with a good breeze

At times if conditions allow drive to higher elevation and burry it in the snow in bags

have also hung it under bridges

I usually want it in a cooler/freezer within 4 days give or take depending on the temps.

Wild one
01-13-2019, 07:25 PM
I love the fall bears, layers of fat for rendering lard and the roasts are unreal. They are not stacked up like in the spring when they are on grass, but the berry fed bears taste better. And 20-40% bigger.

I am tired of chasing bears into the bush after the shot. It is outrageously fun but maybe age is tempering my capacity for risk. I plan on switching to copper bullets in my .308 and using shoulder shots, no more almost stepping on wounded bears in thick bush for me.

Where is your sense of adventure lol

caddisguy
01-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Evening bears down I put the meat in a rubbermaid and put it in a snow run-off drainage for a bit, then put it in front of the car and go zzzz

Morning or afternoon bears I drive home. Usually I have some cooler ice to toss in with the game bags but if not I hit the first gas station.

All the more reason to hunt close to home. I really equate it to acquiring a dozen gallons of milk that starts warm. Treat it like that and you're all good.

caddisguy
01-13-2019, 07:44 PM

Had a couple incidents like that. So far nobody mauled but my wife broke her face (nose, double black eyes) a couple years back.

Last year was the one I realized how severely one gets distracted following a blood trail knowingly going after a liver shot 30 mins after. Lots of mistakes there but it all worked out. Keep your head up, look for bear before blood.

two-feet
01-13-2019, 08:50 PM
After my pal got chewed up this spring i am thinking differently, it is less of an abstract thought. As much as I feel alive following drips of blood under blowdown in balsam jungles, there has been enough close calls to warrant changing the shot placement. It will still happen when people straight up shoot poorly though.

Wild one
01-13-2019, 08:56 PM
After my pal got chewed up this spring i am thinking differently, it is less of an abstract thought. As much as I feel alive following drips of blood under blowdown in balsam jungles, there has been enough close calls to warrant changing the shot placement. It will still happen when people straight up shoot poorly though.

Hope your friend has healed up ok

i have had a few close calls that have taught me to take my time and carry a pocket full of rocks.

caddisguy
01-14-2019, 10:23 AM
Since this is my last spring hunting bear as a B.C. resident might even put in for QCI black bear

Strange. You never "seemed" like a traitor :)

chris
01-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Last week of may in region 5. There are so many you can more or less pick which one you want. I usually fish all morning and start hunting in the afternoon. Usually see at least a couple every day. I'm not picky about bears though. An average 5 ft bear is plenty enough to make me happy.

Wild one
01-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Strange. You never "seemed" like a traitor :)

My gypsy nature is how I have experienced so many different things/places in BC and Alberta ;-)

MichelD
01-14-2019, 11:21 AM

I carry a cooler full of frozen two-litre water bottles. I usually get smallish bears so the two front legs shoulder included go into one cotton meat sack, the chest/neck section into another and the lower back/hindquarters go into another. They get laid onto a tarp in the pickup bed, and the frozen water bottles distributed among the chunks to cool them down, then I boot it for home. On a couple occasions I have shot bears at dusk so by the time it's all ready to go, it's been anywhere from 10:00 to12:00 at night so I've parked somewhere flat and had a few hours sleep in the cab. Once I got one at dusk on the Sunshine Coast too late to catch the last ferry back so slept in the back with the bear pieces.

btridge
01-14-2019, 01:36 PM
Sitting here in what my wife likes to call ...THE BEAR DEN...with a 6'8'' chocolate full mount and a 7'2''Black...There are 2 places in BC I hunt bears, 4-6/7 because I live here and region 6(meziadin lake area) Black colour bears. You can't go wrong if your between stewart and bell two on the may long weekend, take a small freezer with a power plant for meat and hide care. The Creston area holds a good number of both colour phase and black bears, follow the snow as it greens up in the spring on any of the FSR's in the area or in the CVWA on the flats along the river or around duck lake. It's warm here in the spring so again plan for meat and hide care, I have a walkin cooler for myself and my guests that makes that easy here. One benefit to hunting 4-6/7 for spring bear is that turkeys can also be hunted.

NorthCoastHunter
01-15-2019, 04:55 PM
Region 6 lots of colour phase up here

kelowna.jordan
01-15-2019, 10:28 PM
I was only able to get out for a few day hunting bear in the spring of 2018. I haven't hunted bear before so I have lots to learn. We hit a spot that had tons of bear crap but didnt get any sightings. From what I've read on here some good tips are:
- huny the First and last few hours of the day
-Follow the snow pack up (if possible) as it thaws and hunt just below it
- Get into a good flashing area or,
- Cover lots of ground

Any other tips for a new bear hunter? I'll be hunting around the kelowna area

IslandWanderer
01-15-2019, 10:56 PM
My gypsy nature is how I have experienced so many different things/places in BC and Alberta ;-)

I saw 2 there in November that were very large- one was huge.

Wild one
01-15-2019, 10:57 PM
Ok last light is always best in my opinion but I have poor luck early morning. If the area you are hunting sees little human traffic all day is worth while. I actually hunt 10am to last light and actually shoot a lot of bears mid day

I follow the green up not the snow pack. Green grass poking about 6 inch through a brown mat of dead grass from last year combined with buds just opening a little bit not full blown leaves are my ideal conditions. That said I will take an really green open leaves and long grass over brown. You will always hear south facing and this is a good starting point but it’s really about areas that get lots of sun light reaching the ground in openings that grow food. Water is important bears key in on water.

Finding an area full of bear crap you should be able to find the bear the are habitual. That said bears do leave areas for new locations in search of better feed, if harassed too much, or rut. Old bear crap is black really fresh crap is green so if you are not noticing new crap and never see green crap you are probably hunting where a bear was not where he is

Food, water, with thick good size timber odds are you will find a bear. I also prefer small feeding areas like old landings/pullouts on washed out or deactivated roads over clear cuts. Natural meadows on lakes and river/creek deltas are good.

Go kill bear in May June leave April be

kelowna.jordan
01-16-2019, 07:26 AM
Thanks for that wild one. I was seeing lots of crap, but it was very dark green, near black. Lots of seeds in it. I'll use those tips when I head out in April!

Wild one
01-16-2019, 08:36 AM
Thanks for that wild one. I was seeing lots of crap, but it was very dark green, near black. Lots of seeds in it. I'll use those tips when I head out in April!

Wait till May or at the min last week of April. I know it’s open April first but from a guy who spent years of rushing out as soon as possible it’s not worth it. Southern BC last week of April is the earliest I have seen reasonable bear activity. I would say majority of the bear kills I have been in on were mid May to first week of June.

But if you must just get out in the bush I get it lol

snipersights
01-16-2019, 09:07 AM
There’s tons of hunting pressure on the island here. You gotta get out and hike around but good hunting. Not good road hunting because of the pressure. One thing to keep in mind if you plan on hunting the island is that you WILL BE REQUIRED to trespass past timber west and other companies gates if you want to hunt here. Most of the South Island is gated up tighter then a nuns butt. But if you don’t mind going past gates the hunting is great.

kelowna.jordan
01-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Wait till May or at the min last week of April. I know it’s open April first but from a guy who spent years of rushing out as soon as possible it’s not worth it. Southern BC last week of April is the earliest I have seen reasonable bear activity. I would say majority of the bear kills I have been in on were mid May to first week of June.

But if you must just get out in the bush I get it lol

Yea, I'd be heading out mid to later April to start it out. Then a day per weekend until I'm successful.

rattling_junkie
01-16-2019, 12:12 PM
Lots of good info wildone! One day I'll make it back to BC for a spring bear hunt. A lot your advice on timing rings true for Manitoba as well.

Wild one
01-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Lots of good info wildone! One day I'll make it back to BC for a spring bear hunt. A lot your advice on timing rings true for Manitoba as well.

Timing for spring black bear is one of the biggest factors in my opinion. There is that magic window in some areas where the rut just starts and you can hit that green up where the leaves are not open but there is good quality food that is the ticket. The only way to hit it right is know your location well and the cycle of where greens up first to last. Figure out how the area greens up and you will know exactly where to go each day

for my local spots I pay attention to the trees and veg in my yard to gage where to go. From this I know how things are greening up within 2 hrs of home

Longer trips the trick I have been using for years is BCs highway cams. I use a combo of how green up near the highway is going along with what I can see for snow on the hills in the background. Add in a little firsthand knowledge of the area and I can tell if it is worth the drive or not. Saves wasting time driving out to an area and being too early.

I never have a trip planned for just one location if I am restricted to set dates. I have multiple locations in mind and make my choice a few days before I go according to the conditions

This in my opinion plays a huge roll when you focus on targeting locations according to conditions

Ohwildwon
01-16-2019, 06:20 PM
Timing for spring black bear is one of the biggest factors in my opinion. There is that magic window in some areas where the rut just starts and you can hit that green up where the leaves are not open but there is good quality food that is the ticket. The only way to hit it right is know your location well and the cycle of where greens up first to last. Figure out how the area greens up and you will know exactly where to go each day

for my local spots I pay attention to the trees and veg in my yard to gage where to go. From this I know how things are greening up within 2 hrs of home

Longer trips the trick I have been using for years is BCs highway cams. I use a combo of how green up near the highway is going along with what I can see for snow on the hills in the background. Add in a little firsthand knowledge of the area and I can tell if it is worth the drive or not. Saves wasting time driving out to an area and being too early.

I never have a trip planned for just one location if I am restricted to set dates. I have multiple locations in mind and make my choice a few days before I go according to the conditions

This in my opinion plays a huge roll when you focus on targeting locations according to conditions

This is exactly what I do as well!

I then go in and set up a couple of areas with cams, baited with water softener salt and a bit of cob.

Go back a week later and make a plan from there...

Wild one
01-16-2019, 06:24 PM
This is exactly what I do as well!

I then go in and set up a couple of areas with cams, baited with water softener salt and a bit of cob.

Go back a week later and make a plan from there...

Umm bait and bears not a good idea in BC

45freezer
01-16-2019, 06:58 PM
thanks
Rod

Decide if you want a rug, full or half mount ahead of time and watch as many videos as you can on skinning a bear accordingly including paws and face, lots on youtube...if you might potentially be doing it on the spot make sure you have lots of salt with you, if you can get it to the truck whole though just skin it down to the paws and base of the skull, cut at the joints and leave the head and paws attached to the hide. Then fold it skin to skin, roll it up with the head and paws on the outside and freeze asap...the taxidermist will charge a few bucks to skin it out but the peace of mind is worth it if you don't have much experience. Certainly not cheap as you mentioned but you can't shoot the first one twice and if you take good care of it then it should last multiple lifetimes...at least that's how I'm justifying mine lol. Picking my own up from black powder on saturday so I'll be able to give you some feedback on their work soon enough, I never scheduled anything ahead of time just let them know I had a hide on ice and set up a drop off time, that said some taxidermists can probably be picky about how they want hides brought in.

caddisguy
01-17-2019, 02:16 PM
I hunt pretty low elevation south "coastish". We usually start seeing good bear activity and at least one bear per trip starting mid April.

If the food is out the bears are out. 2019 looks like it will be an early year. We were still seeing dandelions popping in December and not a heck of a lot of snow has happened since.

No doubt May will bring the most activity like every year, but ample shooting opportunities will begin opening day here and there will be lots of bears dropping all through April.

South facing slopes and open valley bottoms, 0-600M elevation in Region 2 will a shooting gallery before mid April, guaranteed.

kelowna.jordan
01-17-2019, 06:51 PM
I'm really excited to dedicate some of my spring weekends to try and get my first bear! Thanks for all of the advice from the seasoned bear hunters

Ohwildwon
01-17-2019, 09:09 PM
Umm bait and bears not a good idea in BC

I don't hunt them over the bait..

Wild one
01-17-2019, 09:15 PM
I don't hunt them over the bait..

I assuem you meant you set up for deer well scouting bears then?

Ohwildwon
01-17-2019, 09:44 PM
I assuem you meant you set up for deer well scouting bears then?

No Deer left where I Bear hunt.

They were all pit lamped out of existence, on their wintering ground, a couple years ago..

Be cool to have a Grizz show up on one the cams, now that there in the area though..

walks with deer
01-17-2019, 10:39 PM
oh dear ..

Numenor604
01-17-2019, 11:52 PM
Pay close attention to properly assess whether or not the bear you're looking at has Cubs nearby. Take your time.

HarryToolips
01-18-2019, 07:42 AM
^^^^this is very true, it has cost me in not shooting a few bears, but still better than shooting one with cubs

Wild one
01-18-2019, 07:56 AM

They were all pit lamped out of existence, on their wintering ground, a couple years ago..

Be cool to have a Grizz show up on one the cams, now that there in the area though..

If you are not setting out bait to attract ungulates but trying to attract bears your treading a fine line. If this is the case I would not want to be trying to explain myself to a CO

If this is the case it’s a grey area I don’t even want to touch on

Wild one
01-18-2019, 08:36 AM
Pay close attention to properly assess whether or not the bear you're looking at has Cubs nearby. Take your time.

This is good advice expecially for new bear hunters. First year cubs are small so it helps to watch the mannerisms of the bear. Often a sow with cubs will seem a little more nervous and not as directly focused on feeding. So if the wind is good and the bear seems be a little on guard take a little extra time observing the bear

Learning to judge a boar from a sow helps. This takes time to get good at and young bears are tougher to judge then mature bears. With young boars outside of the head is larger proportionally to the body then a sow the difference in the body is more slight. For the most part I just know when I see them

For a mature boar they have some tells. Longer neck and the front end is more muscular. You can see this in their shoulders and front legs. They become almost pigeon toed and lumber when they walk. The head is larger compared to a sow (there is rare exceptions). Overall a sow seems more round and soft vs the boar

Seeing boars and sows together during the rut really helps one learn to tell the difference. Seeing the two together being able compare them helps improve your skill to judge the difference

I have a really good track record of judging bears but years back my buddy shot a huge sow that we swore was a boar. So even though you are confident you are looking at a boar take the time to look for cubs just in case you judge the sex wrong

caddisguy
01-18-2019, 08:48 AM
^^^^this is very true, it has cost me in not shooting a few bears, but still better than shooting one with cubs

I'll admit to "almost" shooting a sow with cubs. By "almost" I mean my gut feeling and a tad conscious analyzing. Repeat story but good lesson. I watched this bear for an hour, two nights in row (so total 2 hours). It was the most time I have ever spent hanging out with a bear. It hung close to cover, a few yards into the feeding area and never once came wide out in the open where the good grass was. I was watching from 60-70 yards through binos. First night I wrote it off as a juvenile. When it started getting dark I walked right by it and filmed it for a couple minutes from 10-15 yards. It seemed like a pretty chill bear other than hunching up while staring at me and chewing grass. I moved on. Second night same deal, started out watching it through binos w/ bear being so quiet and sticking close to cover. About a half hour into it, I see a couple black things darting around back in the thick brush where it transitions to old growth. I hung out for another half hour before it started getting dark and I had to walk by again. She was a little more skittish this time and gave me a brief pucker moment running a few yards toward me then off to the side into cover. So 2 hours total watching that bear and a total of 2-3 seconds of seeing cubs. I was glad I did not rely on "seeing" alone. I think behaviour is a big indicator. It was a great weekend for watching bears I suppose. The next morning I got to watch a boar (mostly snoozing and rolling around) for an hour in the same spot before I decided to do that sow a solid and take the boar out. Turned out she wasn't far away either, as I got to listen to endless jaw clacking from her from her spot in the timber while I worked on the boar.

My biggest indictor in the spring is behaviour. If it walks right out in the open like it owns the place, 95% boar right there. Wide hips vs wide shoulders is a bit of an indicator. I won't shoot anything that looks or acts like a sow no matter how long I spent watching for cubs after my experience. Even in the spring cubs can be stashed away back in thick cover.

Wild one
01-18-2019, 09:26 AM
Caddisguy

I completely understand the won’t shoot anything that looks like a sow. Those small first year cubs can be tough to see in the under growth

The fear of shooting a sow with cubs was a big factor why I paid very close attention to my mentors in my youth when it came to judging a boar from a sow. I had the advantage of experienced hunters with me bear hunting for 6 years before I hunted bears solo and I know many don’t get that advantage. I put a lot of effort passing this on to rookies I take out these days.

You are correct on mannerisms being helpful. I find a boar moves different in general down to how they walk but I find it hard to explain

Your mention of a sow (with cubs definitely)comes into the open with caution compared to a boar I agree with this majority of the time but I also find some huge old boars with do the same. Odds are you would realize it’s a big old boar once he stepped out anyway

Some of the big old boars get smart expecially if they have been pushed by hunters. Some get smart and cautious to the point during the rut they let the sow go into the open to start. Seen some sneaky tricks from old boars

Either way watching mannerisms is a good indicator

caddisguy
01-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Caddisguy

I completely understand the won’t shoot anything that looks like a sow. Those small first year cubs can be tough to see in the under growth

The fear of shooting a sow with cubs was a big factor why I paid very close attention to my mentors in my youth when it came to judging a boar from a sow. I had the advantage of experienced hunters with me bear hunting for 6 years before I hunted bears solo and I know many don’t get that advantage. I put a lot of effort passing this on to rookies I take out these days.

You are correct on mannerisms being helpful. I find a boar moves different in general down to how they walk but I find it hard to explain

Your mention of a sow (with cubs definitely)comes into the open with caution compared to a boar I agree with this majority of the time but I also find some huge old boars with do the same. Odds are you would realize it’s a big old boar once he stepped out anyway

Some of the big old boars get smart expecially if they have been pushed by hunters. Some get smart and cautious to the point during the rut they let the sow go into the open to start. Seen some sneaky tricks from old boars

Either way watching mannerisms is a good indicator

I saw you posted just before me as well with some solid tips (round, pigeon toed, neck length, etc). Thanks for that. I think most of the big bears I have observed first hand or on trailcam (a few of which are sows) seem to stagger around with the pigeon toes too. Do you figure it is more pronounced with boars than sows? Kind of like bow legged + pigeon toed + swagger as if advertising "I'm packing some massive dingle-berries"?

I never had a mentor for bear hunting (or most hunting for that matter). It's has all been reading and field experience for me, so I can second how handy experienced mentors could be when there are so many subtleties that are difficult to explain. Being able to tell a buck vs doe in the early spring just by looking at their face is another one that started to click a couple years ago. I can't even explain why other than "hey that looks like a dude". More blocky face, posture, confident/proud look? No idea. I can just tell. I could have read a dozen books, looked at hundreds of pictures/videos, but it wouldn't have been near as useful as just another hunter in the field saying "check out that buck", "hey look at that sow". I think it is because when you are self taught you are thinking "Hmm. What exactly am I looking at? What clues do I have to work with?". The excitement and wheels spinning in your head leave mostly just your subconscious to collect the puzzle pieces you will eventually start to put together on your own, whereas if someone tells you what you are looking at, you are going to absorb into knowledge more efficiently and start recalling and re-enforcing that knowledge a lot quicker.

I guess it's like anything. If you are learning a new job or new field, it's a heck of a lot better with someone to show you the ropes.

Wild one
01-18-2019, 10:40 AM
The pigeon toed lumber I am talking about is a boar thing not a big bear thing. In my opinion they move different because of the muscle development in the front legs/shoulders on a boar vs a sow. Their body basically evolved to preform different tasks

Even in humans science has found men and women move differently do to the slight difference in our body structure. I assume it’s the same principle with bears when it comes to boar and sow

Ohwildwon
01-18-2019, 11:12 PM
If you are not setting out bait to attract ungulates but trying to attract bears your treading a fine line. If this is the case I would not want to be trying to explain myself to a CO

Meh.

Regulations don't specify how far you have to hunt, away from a baited cam, (which I would care to guess, most people who have cams that hunt do)?

Hunting ethics are #1, how far away does your conscience let you hunt?

300 yds away in a cut block work? I would say your more then safe, ethically.

That being said, hunting in a Bear rich environment like I do, having cams out where you hunt is a great tool!

To learn what is going on, being able to see, identify, bears in the area you are hunting regularly.

My experience, hunting B Bear in R 2, video footage, has shown me the Dominant Boar in the area I am hunting, every time, over the last 4 years.

It might, also, show you a Sow, with or with out Cubs!...

I digress..

#ethical

Wild one
01-18-2019, 11:28 PM
Honestly don’t know where you legally stand on what you’re doing so not going to touch it.

If baiting was legal here I would not care or even mention it. It’s more a long the lines I would not want to be explaining it to a CO because it may not go well

Not worth the risk to me and I will leave it there

Ohwildwon
01-18-2019, 11:50 PM
Honestly don’t know where you legally stand on what you’re doing so not going to touch it.

If baiting was legal here I would not care or even mention it. It’s more a long the lines I would not want to be explaining it to a CO because it may not go well

Not worth the risk to me and I will leave it there

I will say to that attitude is, paranoid beyond believe.

And I will leave it there.

willyqbc
01-19-2019, 12:01 AM

Hate to break it to you OhWildone one....but from where i'm sitting, you're in violation of the regs one way or the other....no grey area

either you are baiting bears to hunt them = illegal
or
you are baiting bears not to hunt them = also illegal under the following regulation from the "it is unlawful" section

18. To intentionally feed or attempt to feed
dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf
and bear), except when lawfully engaged in
hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized
(cougar, coyote and wolf only).

You can NEVER feed dangerous wildlife "just because". You can however bait cougar coyote and wolf while hunting them as there is no provision against hunting them over bait.

you may NEVER feed bears " just because", and you may not hunt bears by baiting.......you clearly stated the purpose of your bait was for bears.....so which is it? are you illegally hunting bears with bait?, or illegally feeding dangerous wildlife....has to be one or the other

I highly reccomend you cease this practice

Ohwildwon
01-19-2019, 12:32 AM
Hate to break it to you OhWildone one....but from where i'm sitting, you're in violation of the regs one way or the other....no grey area

or
you are baiting bears not to hunt them = also illegal under the following regulation from the "it is unlawful" section

You can NEVER feed dangerous wildlife "just because". You can however bait cougar coyote and wolf while hunting them as there is no provision against hunting them over bait.

you may NEVER feed bears " just because", and you may not hunt bears by baiting.......you clearly stated the purpose of your bait was for bears.....so which is it? are you illegally hunting bears with bait?, or illegally feeding dangerous wildlife....has to be one or the other

So with your thinking,k no one can ever bait a trail cam, good luck with that!

Ohwildwon
01-19-2019, 12:33 AM

or

So, with your thinking, no one, can ever bait a trail cam... Good luck with that!

willyqbc
01-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Absolutely you can bait a trail cam...for ungulates. And if you happen to catch some bears on cam...great! But when your purposefully doing it for bears, as you stated you are, thats where it falls out of the grey area...it's all about intent.

Wild one
01-19-2019, 09:19 AM
Absolutely you can bait a trail cam...for ungulates. And if you happen to catch some bears on cam...great! But when your purposefully doing it for bears, as you stated you are, thats where it falls out of the grey area...it's all about intent.

That is what I am seeing

Ohwildwon
02-14-2019, 10:02 PM

or

With all do respect Mr willyqbc, I talked to 2 Conservation Officer's at the Boat Show booth, @ BC Place, last weekend.

Told them exactly what I posted on here.

They both, one male, one female, thought it was a good idea!

As long as you are not hunting, OVER the bait.

Using a trail cam, as a tool, to identify Ursus Americanus, in the area,

was a good idea with both these conservation officers.

Reason, help to assist hunter in identifying any Sow with Cubs, Dominate Boar etc, in the area.

OVER is obviously the grey area.

Let's clear that up ethically?

As long as your ethics in obeying the law, that, "shall not bait bears", antenna is working?

Here is an example; the bear's behavior, can in no way, be influenced, by your baited trail cam.

Thoughts?

HarryToolips
02-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Hunting over green up at the right time of year and covering lots of ground is just as easy as baiting anyway....

RackStar
02-15-2019, 07:50 AM
What about colour phase bears?
Is there more south then north?
I have seen more myself in reg 3 & 8 then here in 7a.

Ohwildwon
02-17-2019, 12:11 AM
Hunting over green up at the right time of year and covering lots of ground is just as easy as baiting anyway....

Especially in region 9! ;)

This is part of the conversation...

How to hunt bear in your region, let alone hunting area..

Where I hunt in 2-6, its steep wet coast jungle.

drift6969
03-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Almost time!

Takla
03-04-2019, 01:10 PM
North Okanogan bears look out..

Ron.C
03-04-2019, 02:42 PM
Regions 1 thru 8 ?

In my experience on the Island , you usually start seeing breeding activity in June. And if you hunt cut block areas or stalk old skidded roads, you have ample time to make sure the bear is without cubs regardless of when you hunt. Compared to island blacktail hunting, Island bear hunting is an easy hunt and probably one of the best hunts for a young or new hunter

Bubbacanuck
03-04-2019, 04:34 PM
tags just came out today!! now i'm getting pumped

jan.wi97
03-04-2019, 04:58 PM
It is going to be my very first lone
hunt and I am so stoked to be getting out there... spent a ton of time
on the range and now I just have to get out!!

moosinaround
03-04-2019, 05:36 PM
Almost time!
Huh?? Where do you live? We are at 107-115% snow pack up here in 7a! Could get another couple feet up high before April 1st. I like your enthusiasm though!! Moosin

drift6969
03-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Definitly a few months to go but it will go quick!

Huh?? Where do you live? We are at 107-115% snow pack up here in 7a! Could get another couple feet up high before April 1st. I like your enthusiasm though!! Moosin

caddisguy
03-04-2019, 06:31 PM

Already reports of bears showing up in the Fraser Valley. It should be a decent opener at lower elevations.

markomoose
03-04-2019, 08:33 PM
Bears hiding behind every tree up here.They are my go to for most of my wild game now.Moose and deer are a bonus now?Used to be the other way around?

Takla
03-04-2019, 08:48 PM
Bears hiding behind every tree up here.They are my go to for most of my wild game now.Moose and deer are a bonus now?Used to be the other way around?

Same here,that nice mulie i hammered last oct 31 st is almost devoured,will be needing a nice bear to get me thru to next fall moose/deer hunt again

takla

willyqbc
03-04-2019, 10:03 PM
With all do respect Mr willyqbc, I talked to 2 Conservation Officer's at the Boat Show booth, @ BC Place, last weekend.

Told them exactly what I posted on here.

They both, one male, one female, thought it was a good idea!

As long as you are not hunting, OVER the bait.

Using a trail cam, as a tool, to identify Ursus Americanus, in the area,

was a good idea with both these conservation officers.

Reason, help to assist hunter in identifying any Sow with Cubs, Dominate Boar etc, in the area.

OVER is obviously the grey area.

Let's clear that up ethically?

As long as your ethics in obeying the law, that, "shall not bait bears", antenna is working?

Here is an example; the bear's behavior, can in no way, be influenced, by your baited trail cam.

Thoughts?

First off, I will say I have absolutely no "ethical" issues with baiting....I think it would eliminate lots of juvenile bears being shot, and lots of cubs being orphaned.

I do have a hard time understanding how 2 CO's could "interpret" the regulation so differently from what i'm seeing in the regulation

It seems pretty crystal clear to me that you cannot intentionally feed bears for any reason. Now, if you are baiting for DEER (hint,hint) with a trail cam and you "incidentally" happen to get some bears on camera....well thats a different story....its all about intent. Where it crosses the regulation is when someone baiting, specifically states the purpose is to bring in bears

JMO
Chris

Arctic Lake
03-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Think I’m going to try fora bear this spring . Do you find it is any better than one taken in the fall ?
Arctic Lake

RyoTHC
03-05-2019, 12:03 AM
I prefer spring for the meat and hide, and fall for the tallow!!!!
May 4th and 11th last year I took my boars, it has certainly been a more mild winter this year but we have no shortage of snow ans it's frigid now... Planning my first crack at bears for Easter Monday this year... Fingers crossed !!

RackStar
03-05-2019, 07:22 AM
This year the meat stash is not bad, will run out just in time for caribou. So bear season will be elk scouting with a rifle for me. Looking for a brute for a nice rug.

But its -30 right now ...

Huntingtyler123
03-05-2019, 07:40 AM
tags just came out today!! now i'm getting pumped

Haha I bought mine yesterday after reading your post!

two-feet
03-05-2019, 08:14 AM
I prefer the meat from a fall bear, and the lard is great. I will try for spring bear to stock up on sausages for cooking on the fire while camping this summer. Bratwurst!

Bubbacanuck
03-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Haha I bought mine yesterday after reading your post!

Now I'm finding myself checking the website daily to see if the LEH's are available yet LOL

jan.wi97
03-05-2019, 12:52 PM
Tag on its way as well :)

Arctic Lake
03-06-2019, 03:25 PM
Hmmmmm Looking out the window here in the lower mainland with the snow coming down I think the only spring bear will be
Polar Bear !
Arctic Lake

RyoTHC
03-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Snowing a whole bunch over here in Merritt as well.. May bear here we come ^^

drift6969
03-13-2019, 09:14 AM
I might go at the end of May, will that be a good time for bear? If not is there an area that is??

Wild one
03-13-2019, 09:21 AM
I might go at the end of May, will that be a good time for bear? If not is there an area that is??

Last week of May is perfect for most areas

Carrollizer
03-13-2019, 10:34 AM
Now I'm finding myself checking the website daily to see if the LEH's are available yet LOL
Oh god, dont get this started, way too early in the year hahaha

sheldont
03-13-2019, 12:44 PM
Just moved to PG, and found this awesome forum. Was looking at going bear hunting for the first time this spring. Sounds like lots of bears and lots of spots to find. Not familiar with the area so will be throwing a dart at the map, but should be fun to get out regardless.

caddisguy
03-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Just moved to PG, and found this awesome forum. Was looking at going bear hunting for the first time this spring. Sounds like lots of bears and lots of spots to find. Not familiar with the area so will be throwing a dart at the map, but should be fun to get out regardless.

Throw that dart on a south facing slope that's greening up. If there's nipped grass or scat around, you found yourself a good spot :)

Bubbacanuck
03-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Oh god, dont get this started, way too early in the year hahaha

I can't help myself, I am way too excited to get out again this year!! Spring Turkey and bear are just going to wet the palette before the main events start :) Only thing I have to look forward to is the LEH draws haha

Wild one
03-13-2019, 02:49 PM
Throw that dart on a south facing slope that's greening up. If there's nipped grass or scat around, you found yourself a good spot :)

Good advice ^^^but don’t get too caught up on south facing around PG because a lot of areas are too flat. In simpler terms look areas that see lots of exposure to the sun promoting growth. In areas with good elevation changes yes south facing slopes but in flatter areas it’s more so about how opening in the trees let in more sun, lake shore, river banks, old roads that get lots of light or landings. The basic idea is the same it’s all about sunshine

Willow river area east of PG is worth while

caddisguy
03-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Good point Wild One. Even here in Region 2, some exposed flat areas in valley bottoms with exposure are just as green and viable.

drift6969
03-14-2019, 06:59 AM
Awsome thanks!

Last week of May is perfect for most areas

Huntingtyler123
03-14-2019, 11:50 AM
So stoked! My bear tags came in the mail and can’t wait for May

BRrooster
03-14-2019, 05:34 PM
Got the week off after May long weekend , and will be camping south of Kelowna . Hunting , shooting, and building blinds for next deer season , and having a few
single malts around the campfire before nite nite time. Cant wait.
Daughter Tracy and I whacked a nice one last year on our camp out. First time I ever had one drop in its tracks. Middle of the road , it was great. An hour from town and it was in the cooler before noon.

Bubbacanuck
03-16-2019, 10:52 AM
So stoked! My bear tags came in the mail and can’t wait for May

Got mine too! We should still try to plan a trip :)

Wild one
03-16-2019, 11:16 AM
Finally getting warm enough to melt a little snow but still over 1 1/2 feet in the front yard. Once all the snow is gone followed by a handful of warm days I will buy a tag and start looking

I am thinking a little boat hunting is in order this spring

Takla
03-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Was up on the mountain on the quad yesterday N.Okanogan to check for tracks,lots of wolf and deer by no fresh bear tracks at least on the powerlines.Good thing the skidoo's have made a trail of sorts for the machine.Was 10 C yesterday up top and will be warmer today so wont be long and theyll be out and about

takla

Huntingtyler123
03-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Got mine too! We should still try to plan a trip :)

Yes for sure , we will! Have lots of time to plan something still ����

drift6969
04-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Anyone get anything?

Wild one
04-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Anyone get anything?

Give it at least 3 weeks to a month before the first goes down lol

joshbazz
04-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Was up on the mountain on the quad yesterday N.Okanogan to check for tracks,lots of wolf and deer by no fresh bear tracks at least on the powerlines.Good thing the skidoo's have made a trail of sorts for the machine.Was 10 C yesterday up top and will be warmer today so wont be long and theyll be out and about

takla

That's great to hear, will check out Kelowna area, just got my tag!

Rob Chipman
04-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Good to go! Can't wait to get out too early (who hasn't tried hunting spring bear around a frozen lake?)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/bear_tag.jpg

caddisguy
04-04-2019, 07:34 PM
Give it at least 3 weeks to a month before the first goes down lol

Pffft... team caddis is heading out. Have faith.

Wild one
04-04-2019, 07:51 PM

First bear meh tagging a bear is easy and ends the fun of the chase too fast

Go find a big boy and enjoy the season doing it :razz:

Lets start simple 19” min

RyoTHC
04-04-2019, 08:13 PM

Right there with you, three of us are headed out in zone 3 this weekend.
Last year we had snow early April... And we still had 5 bears down by may 12. 2 of which were in April.

This year there hasn't been snow for atleast 3 weeks, it's broken 20 degrees multiple times including today and there's lots of green on south slopes... It's bear time.

Wild one
04-04-2019, 08:23 PM
Well you boys are always welcome to prove me wrong

It would not be a first for me so my feelings won’t be hurt if you do lol

Still too much snow to even consider it here

Osprey87
04-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Already seen a decent bear, too bad it was on Saturday. Snuck up to 50 yards and watched em feed for a bit

caddisguy
04-05-2019, 07:31 AM
Well you boys are always welcome to prove me wrong

It would not be a first for me so my feelings won’t be hurt if you do lol

Still too much snow to even consider it here

I was just being funny (standards of funny might vary) I agree with you for the most part. Conditions are ahead of last year in Region 2, and from the sounds of it 3 as well, but it's still early. Some bears could drop soon, but personally I have no expectations (for us) for a couple more weeks. My brain is even fighting with itself telling me to stay home and hibernate a little... though if I can just make the drive out there I can lay around and catch a lot of zzzz's in the great outdoors. 3 hours hunting, 33 hours snoozing kind of deal.

drift6969
04-05-2019, 07:37 AM
You guys aren't messing around lol

Wild one
04-05-2019, 07:54 AM
I was just being funny (standards of funny might vary) I agree with you for the most part. Conditions are ahead of last year in Region 2, and from the sounds of it 3 as well, but it's still early. Some bears could drop soon, but personally I have no expectations (for us) for a couple more weeks. My brain is even fighting with itself telling me to stay home and hibernate a little... though if I can just make the drive out there I can lay around and catch a lot of zzzz's in the great outdoors. 3 hours hunting, 33 hours snoozing kind of deal.

I know you were being a smart@ss all good

I also know it’s possible to get one early. I have seen a black bear in February walking around in 3 feet of snow in northern BC in the past. When I lived in region 2 I knew of bears that did not sleep. I used to see one bear out duck hunting and cutthroat fishing often

Not impossible to get an early bear but I have fun bugging people who go out early because I remember all the time and $ I spent doing it so I know the odds

I like to give people a hard time it’s just in my nature so don’t take me too seriously :twisted:

Now leave the little bears alone and find a big one lol

Wild one
04-05-2019, 07:56 AM
You guys aren't messing around lol

Completely the opposite here I am always messing around makes life more enjoyable lol

caddisguy
04-05-2019, 09:19 AM
I know you were being a smart@ss all good

I also know it’s possible to get one early. I have seen a black bear in February walking around in 3 feet of snow in northern BC in the past. When I lived in region 2 I knew of bears that did not sleep. I used to see one bear out duck hunting and cutthroat fishing often

Not impossible to get an early bear but I have fun bugging people who go out early because I remember all the time and $ I spent doing it so I know the odds

I like to give people a hard time it’s just in my nature so don’t take me too seriously :twisted:

Now leave the little bears alone and find a big one lol

Hoping to run into the bear that charged me in 2017. He is an early riser. I have run into him second week of April 2 years ago and 3rd week of April last year. Unfortunately I stalked him a ways then took a crack at him (after he busted me and was already making an exit) so he might be a little more educated now. The days of him walking through my camp in the daylight are probably over, but I still hate that bear with a passion.

But hold out for a big bear? You must be mistaking me for someone with discipline and patience :D Between my wife, brother and myself we'd still have 5 more tags if we decide to get fancy. LOL just thought of filling 6 tags total... man the ungulates would be happy.

Wild one
04-05-2019, 09:51 AM
The history you have with the A hole bear it would mean more to take him over a big boar if I was in your boots.

Either way as as long as you enjoy your season is the main thing

MichelD
04-05-2019, 10:03 AM
$1.62 a litre for gas? I won't be going this month, that's for sure.

I don't even feel like driving to the range to double check my rifle's shooting, but I think they might get a little excited if I take it on the bus. Besides, there's no bus up to the Poco range.

Wild one
04-05-2019, 10:07 AM
$1.62 a litre for gas?

I don;t even feel like driving to the range to double check my rifle's shooting, but I think they might get a little excited if I take it on the bus. Besides, there's no bus to the Poco range.

Cheaper fuel, lower housing costs, higher wages, less traffic, less crime, less people and better hunting/fishing yup I would say moving out of the lower mainland is worth it lol

and my cost of living will go down even more once I move to Alberta

albravo2
04-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Hoping to run into the bear that charged me last year. He is an early riser. I have run into him second week of April 2 years ago and 3rd week of April last year. Unfortunately I stalked him a ways then took a crack at him (after he busted me and was already making an exit) so he might be a little more educated now. The days of him walking through my camp in the daylight are probably over, but I still hate that bear with a passion.

I think you've got your answer right there. I will take tremendous satisfaction when you whack that bugger.

Reminds me of my cousin a couple years back during our moose LEH in his backyard. My hunting buddy asked him why he didn't carry a gun or bear spray when scouting. He answered that he knew most of the bears in the area and they know if they charge him he will take a full day off work just to come back with a gun and terminate the inappropriate behaviour.

caddisguy
04-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Well that didn't really go as planned, but I am back a day early with the report.

Checked out our regular "go to" bear spot. Still some patches of snow, a few small patches of grass. I found two little patches that looked like they were mowed by a bear. No poops, one tick.

Decided to head out to a new spot we found last year. It's greening up a lot better, grass getting hit, some scat, etc. I mainly went in to check on a camera that filled up a 16GB card with false positives over a couple days in the winter. It's doing the same thing. Now I have many more hours of video to go through to check for critters that might or might not be. Not sure if it is the tree that it is on moving in the wind (which it does) or if the sensor is just malfunctioning. I moved it to a more stable place, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway, on the way into that camera through all the thick stuff, there was a bit of chaos. I jumped "something" about 10 yards away. Bunch of commotion. Adrenaline through the roof LOL. Anyway, a second later I see two of the elusive Region 2 whitetail deer running off, tails straight up in the air flagging. That was my first in-person encounter with Region 2 whitetails, but I have got them on cam a number of times.

So here's the bad news and why we are home early. caddisgirl suffered what appears to be a pretty severe foot injury. Might be some breakage. Bad area too... just before the big toe. It's all black and blue, even down on the bottom. Off to the doctor tomorrow AM to get it checked out and then probably xrays on Monday. Hoping it's not too bad, but it's possible she's done for several weeks. Totally sucks... that's like a hockey player getting injured in practice before a pre-season expedition game.

Wild one
04-06-2019, 06:53 PM
I can’t say I have seen WT in region 2. With the way animals move and from finding animals where the are not supposed to be I would not be surprised.

I still have to ask though did you get a really good look at them or just going by the flagging? I have seen blacktail flag before is why I ask

Next time when a deer startles you in the bush don’t freak out and push caddisgirl down well you make a run for it that’s not very gentleman like :lol:

Hope she heals fast

caddisguy
04-06-2019, 07:24 PM
I can’t say I have seen WT in region 2. With the way animals move and from finding animals where the are not supposed to be I would not be surprised.

I still have to ask though did you get a really good look at them or just going by the flagging? I have seen blacktail flag before is why I ask

Next time when a deer startles you in the bush don’t freak out and push caddisgirl down well you make a run for it that’s not very gentleman like :lol:

Hope she heals fast

I had a pretty good look, but I only ID'd them by their tails. 100% confident though being 10 yards away. Huge bushy triangular shape tails, straight up to the sky, distinct triangular shape and white trim when down. I filmed a bit with the handheld cam and zoomed at 50 yards so I might have some footage. I'll check later tonight or tomorrow. In the mean time, here's a trailcam vid of WT's about 3km away from where I saw them today. I think I had this doe show up about 3 years in a row and pumped out twins each time. Bunch of others up on my youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euC4z8Ow_g8

For further validation, here's a blacktail on the same camera as the whitetail in the previous video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjik1HT67A0

LOL caddisgirl always bites the dust when SHTF. A couple years back I sent her chasing after a bear through the thick stuff. She ended up with a broken nose and double black eye after falling through some deadfall. Was funny a few days later I asked her to pick me up a 24 of caribou at the beer store on her way to meet me... at the bus stop.... at surrey central. Imagine that... some guy with his girl carrying a 24 pack with a broken nose and two huge shiners. Classy! Scariest one was probably when she went tumbling down a knob. One bench down to the next, pretty much head over heals. I remember shouting "dont worry you're ok" while she was tumbling down and she shouts back "no I'm not" (sound fading further away each tumble). I didn't mean it wasn't going to hurt... but I knew she'd land on a flat surface before going off the cliff. Nothing a few months of physio wont fix. Maybe this is why it's hard to find people who want to hunt with me. Trick is to marry them so they feel obligated. One tough lady tho. Sucks when it's a foot though and affects mobility. Glad it didn't happen too far off and somewhere steep. Would have been a predicament. Anyway, any animal within 2km learned a whole lot of french cuss words. Funny enough I did hear a bunch of deer scrambling when she was cussing.

Anyway back to bears. There's a few out and mildly active. Should be great in a couple weeks, crutches or no crutches. Anyone ever shoot off a crutch? :D

Wild one
04-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Yup that is 100% a WT no argument here. Not a big surprise just every time someone has shown me a region 2 WT it’s a blacktail flagging or a 3pt blacktail. I knew it was only a matter of the time for a real WT to be seen

tell the truth Caddisgirl being “clumsy out hunting “ is the same as some wives “fall down the stairs” lol

caddisguy
04-06-2019, 07:55 PM
Yup that is 100% a WT no argument here. Not a big surprise just every time someone has shown me a region 2 WT it’s a blacktail flagging or a 3pt blacktail. I knew it was only a matter of the time for a real WT to be seen

tell the truth Caddisgirl being “clumsy out hunting “ is the same as some wives “fall down the stairs” lol

"she fell! I swear !" LOL. The worst for that was the broken nose and black eyes when we visited her parents and sister soon after. I am sure they wondered for a moment. I don't blame them. I wouldn't believe half our stories if someone else was telling them.

"That's right I told her to make me a dang sammich and when I say I want a dang sammich I want it NOW"

caddisguy
04-07-2019, 12:18 AM
Dang it looks bad. Injury seemed to involve the top structure of her foot, but more and more black / blue / red starting to take over the bottom of her foot. Seems like a lot of internal bleed crap going on. Makes me think something did crack. We should know in 48 hours

Need new hunting partner asap! (must sign a legal waiver tho... and pay for gas and do all the field dressing and packout) LOL

joshbazz
04-07-2019, 09:22 AM
Sorry to hear Caddisguy and gal, hope for a speedy recovery!

Getting back to bear, I had a couple questions...

As a full blown rookie, I convinced my brother-in law to come with me and check out a place in MU8 yesterday.

We drove out around 10-11am ish, up a service road to a place I had heard is good (during normal season may/june). Way too much snow, but we both appreciated the hike as we don't get out that much, and want to do more to get in shape for GOS. It started out as a sunny hike up a service road, but quickly changed to sinking into snow past our knees in blizzard like conditions. We literally had to crawl hands and knees in some spots to get back to harder snow pack. I guess we'll give it a few more weeks!

We came across a bunch of different skat, and I was hoping someone could educate me on what we found.

1) I wonder if one is wolf, looks like lots of hair in it...
https://i.imgur.com/rlYXvBbl.jpg

2) Though this next one might be bear, but not sure:
https://i.imgur.com/cF8zXbxl.jpg

3) Then came across this weird one that we had no idea:
https://i.imgur.com/YUS3J4Pl.jpg

And pretty sure this is not optimal bear hunting conditions:
https://i.imgur.com/K1bjZJIl.jpg

Thanks for any help about the skat!

300H&H
04-07-2019, 09:29 AM
For what it is worth...
I look for old logging road with clover growing on them and then in old un-planted cuts. Seems to be my best places.
With that said I always wait until May to hunt bears. All of the toxicity from winter hibernation is out of their system and its warm out.
Also I never get out early (before sunrise), just no need to.

Wild one
04-07-2019, 09:38 AM
1) hard to say could be coyote even but it looks old either way

2) could be bear But it looks like it was under the snow and now has been exposed from melt making me question it.

3) porcupine

and to end it off you are not likely to find a bear under those conditions lol. Go way lower in elevation and find sunny areas that hold at least some green up.

Or wait until conditions improve and bears start moving lol. If you’re goal is to get out and hike keep at it but if you are mainly wanting to get a bear wait

REMINGTON JIM
04-07-2019, 09:39 AM
WE watched a VERY BLONE Bear yesterday near spences bridge while attending the spring sheep count ! In all my years of hunting and shooting Black Bears i have NEVER seen one that Blone - Nearly Completely - Very Little brown at all on Him ! Seen LOTs of G Bears like that BUT never a blackie ! He was a way off but his hide looked Very Good - Nice Bear and Would make a GREAT rug- still alive as of yesterday afternoon ! :biggrin:

Cheers RJ

Wild one
04-07-2019, 09:47 AM
WE watched a VERY BLONE Bear yesterday near spences bridge while attending the spring sheep count ! In all my years of hunting and shooting Black Bears i have NEVER seen one that Blone - Nearly Completely - Very Little brown at all on Him ! Seen LOTs of G Bears like that BUT never a blackie ! He was a way off but his hide looked Very Good - Nice Bear and Would make a GREAT rug- still alive as of yesterday afternoon ! :biggrin:

Cheers RJ

Any size or just the normal 5ft?

Always the odd early one a long the river and that area greens up fast. Unfortunately access sucks unless you are willing to do a crazy pack out for a bear

very good % of coloured bears around Spence’s but not the best average size. Most colour phase there are cinnamon but I have seen some nice reds and blonds

Luka77
04-07-2019, 10:10 AM

Cheers RJ

That bear was something to see. My son will talk about it probably till next count. :)

Dour
04-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Me a friend seen a white tail up the elaho a few years ago it blew us away

caddisguy
04-07-2019, 12:13 PM
The doctors assessment is in. He says it is broken.

She will be going in for the x-ray tomorrow and then back to the doctor for the follow-up.

Meanwhile, she is talking about terrain and hunting strategies for next weekend . Seriously? Yep... she's serious she says, as she hobbles around doing house work while I sit on the couch and she won't let me help. Tough stubborn lady she is.

Interesting twist this season. I'm filming it all LOL

Dour
04-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Get her a all terrain wheel chair.

RyoTHC
04-07-2019, 06:25 PM
Hoping to run into the bear that charged me in 2017. He is an early riser. I have run into him second week of April 2 years ago and 3rd week of April last year. Unfortunately I stalked him a ways then took a crack at him (after he busted me and was already making an exit) so he might be a little more educated now. The days of him walking through my camp in the daylight are probably over, but I still hate that bear with a passion.

But hold out for a big bear? You must be mistaking me for someone with discipline and patience :D Between my wife, brother and myself we'd still have 5 more tags if we decide to get fancy. LOL just thought of filling 6 tags total... man the ungulates would be happy.

Hope you get that big guy.

Myself and two hunting buddies took 5 bears out of our white tail hunting MU last season, and we already spent this weekend tracking down more, we fully intend to take 6 more out of this area ! Year after year until the moose and white tail can rebound..

HarryToolips
04-07-2019, 08:30 PM
^^^^good on ya....saving a lot of young ones...

REMINGTON JIM
04-07-2019, 08:36 PM
Hope you get that big guy.

Myself and two hunting buddies took 5 bears out of our white tail hunting MU last season, and we already spent this weekend tracking down more, we fully intend to take 6 more out of this area ! Year after year until the moose and white tail can rebound..

Hey I Better get in on this with you Guys - I Like KILLIN Bears ! :grin: RJ

Arctic Lake
04-08-2019, 08:25 AM
The doctors assessment is in. He says it is broken.

She will be going in for the x-ray tomorrow and then back to the doctor for the follow-up.

Meanwhile, she is talking about terrain and hunting strategies for next weekend . Seriously? Yep... she's serious she says, as she hobbles around doing house work while I sit on the couch and she won't let me help. Tough stubborn lady she is.

Interesting twist this season. I'm filming it all LOL

Hey Caddis sounds like you have a real trooper with Ms Caddis . Good luck in your bear quest !
Arctic Lake

RyoTHC
04-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Hey I Better get in on this with you Guys - I Like KILLIN Bears ! :grin: RJ

Seems you're in the same neck of the woods... Maybe the ungulates will have a break in the spring! Fall bear might taste better (I don't think so) but dropping all the bears before Fawn and calf season makes me feel all fuzzy inside, and who doesnt want bear burgers all summer !?

bigben
04-10-2019, 07:06 PM
in my backyard lots of bears region 4 22 and 4 23 good luck

snipersights
04-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Doesn't van island have lot's of hunting pressure.

Not really for bears. Theres a lot of deer pressure, but for bears and grouse its not a huge thing here. The place I go we only usually see one or two trucks a season. Its really steep about 20% and the road is blast rock and shale. Weeds a lot of people out. I took 5 bears with my group of hunting buddies up there last year. Might try a new spot this year to let them grow back hahaha. The biggest issue on the island bear hunting is the hippies.

drift6969
04-11-2019, 07:54 AM
Yeah the hippies love it there lol. I don't mind working a little harder to get to a spot if it means there will be less people.

vincentcui
04-11-2019, 02:02 PM
If you don't mind the drive then go North of Kitwanga where you can see 35 bears in a day

Wild one
04-11-2019, 02:41 PM
If you don't mind the drive then go North of Kitwanga where you can see 35 bears in a day

Region 6 in general is a good choice definitely my favourite region for black bear

Arctic Lake
04-11-2019, 05:01 PM
Yikes ! Kitwanga, that is one heck of a long drive for sure LOL ! Hope I can find one closer !
Arctic Lake

Wild one
04-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Yikes ! Kitwanga, that is one heck of a long drive for sure LOL ! Hope I can find one closer !
Arctic Lake

You should be able to lol

Travle like that is more so for the quality of the hunt, exploring options for other hunts, maybe some fishing or just a bit of an adventure.

You won’t get the same experience hunting within a few hours of the lower mainland but you can still shoot a bear and have a good trip

drift6969
04-12-2019, 09:31 AM
So many good places but Kitwanga intrigues me.

Wild one
04-12-2019, 09:50 AM

You can’t go wrong anywhere in region 6 for both numbers and size.

Huntingtyler123
04-12-2019, 11:38 AM
35 days until my week long trip for spring bear! Time seems to be going slower the closer it gets!

RyoTHC
04-12-2019, 12:21 PM
I feel ya ! We tried first weekend in April saw one small bear. Not going back out until the 26th-4th. And time has came to a crawl !

Wild one
04-12-2019, 12:30 PM
I am still waiting for the lake to thaw so I can scout a new area I want to try. Needs to warm up just a bit more

RyoTHC
04-12-2019, 12:53 PM
I am still waiting for the lake to thaw so I can scout a new area I want to try. Needs to warm up just a bit more

How far north? Haven't had ice on the lakes here in a few weeks. Even the big lakes like Nicola have thawed out mind you they are quite low elevation.

Wild one
04-12-2019, 01:10 PM
How far north? Haven't had ice on the lakes here in a few weeks. Even the big lakes like Nicola have thawed out mind you they are quite low elevation.

Waiting for Francois lake to thaw and she is not a little one. Francois was just starting to break up 3days ago. Only lake that I would bet on being completely ice free is Ootsa

Still snow in my yard

RyoTHC
04-12-2019, 01:24 PM
Waiting for Francois lake to thaw and she is not a little one. Francois was just starting to break up 3days ago. Only lake that I would bet on being completely ice free is Ootsa

Still snow in my yard

Well according to this thread at least you live in the best bear spot :D.

I don't envy that weather though.

wideopenthrottle
04-12-2019, 01:27 PM

without being specific, do you mean around goldbridge? or would you rather not say

Wild one
04-12-2019, 01:32 PM
Well according to this thread at least you live in the best bear spot :D.

I don't envy that weather though.

No lack of awesome bear hunting spots within a short drive just takes a little longer for spring to arrive :lol:

BowHunterCR
04-12-2019, 03:44 PM
going to the in-laws for easter next weekend in Kamloops. Even worth look around, or leave the bow at home?

RyoTHC
04-12-2019, 03:52 PM
going to the in-laws for easter next weekend in Kamloops. Even worth look around, or leave the bow at home?

Always worth a look, but being local I'd say I won't hold your breath. I'd give it a solid two weeks of warmth before the action picks up, this cold spell and snow we just got doesn't help.

albravo2
04-12-2019, 05:17 PM
I've been into my cabin up near Lillooet a couple times in the past week. No scat, no sign. Still a fair bit of snow up high. I saw one deer that looked like she'd had a tough winter, otherwise no critters stirring.

albravo2
04-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Nothing a few months of physio wont fix. Maybe this is why it's hard to find people who want to hunt with me. Trick is to marry them so they feel obligated.

Just catching up on this thread now and I can't believe nobody else commented on the little bit of brilliance quoted above.

Hope Caddisgirl is doing OK. I dislocated my big toe a couple years ago and it still won't bend. Foot injuries suck.

BowHunterCR
04-12-2019, 05:37 PM
Always worth a look, but being local I'd say I won't hold your breath. I'd give it a solid two weeks of warmth before the action picks up, this cold spell and snow we just got doesn't help.

either way a good chance to escape for a few hours and walk in the forest

vincentcui
04-13-2019, 01:20 PM

I said Kitwanga because the 1st post was asking for a location with abundant population where hunting may help bring down the over-saturated population density. If we are talking about size and quality, region 3, 5, 6, 7 are all pretty good, but 6 and 7 has the most abundant population.

bankshot
04-13-2019, 03:51 PM
I saw a nice looking black bear yesterday just east of Terrace grazing beside the highway, actually looked quite round and fat.

Morethanonebridge
04-15-2019, 01:08 AM
Pemby was still really snowy once you got in a Few clicks, boo

caddisguy
04-15-2019, 07:13 AM
Just catching up on this thread now and I can't believe nobody else commented on the little bit of brilliance quoted above.

Hope Caddisgirl is doing OK. I dislocated my big toe a couple years ago and it still won't bend. Foot injuries suck.

Funny enough at the exact moment you were posting this she was limping around doing anything she could to help with the bear.

She's doing good. Not in constant pain or anything like the first couple days... trying to take it a little easier now too.

I totally ruined her "relaxing weekend camping". She was looking forward to sitting around, enjoying the sites and sounds of nature for a few days while reading and drawing. Only lasted 15 minutes before she hears shots echoing through the mountains... "Are you kidding me?" Lol

So relaxing trip postponed. This weekend for sure... not even bringing a rifle

ducktoller
04-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Little sign up the sea to sky corridor. Snow melting fast but a mix of hard ice and slush pits made a few inaccessible spots.

A 6ft thick tree fell onto one of my access points. Hoping they'll clear it!

Plant growth needa to pick up more

drift6969
04-15-2019, 11:17 AM
I went up behind Squamish, snow line is half way up the mtns, might have to wait a bit.