PDA

View Full Version : Considering a black bear this year

DavidGordon
09-11-2007, 02:51 PM
I am considering a black bear this year and I have a few questions. I apologize because undoubtedly some of these questions will have been asked before.
My primary interest is putting some meat in the freezer. I haven't eaten bear meat since I was a kid. For reasons that elude me bear meat was banned from kitchen around the same time I was old enough to start hunting seriously. As a result I was a spoiled kid, raised on a steady supply of elk and moose but with no clear recollection of what bear tastes like.
So the first question is what should I expect from a black bear meat ?
I assume that like any animal if you don't treat the meat properly you will end up with a gamey mess but is there anything particular to bear that I should watch for ?
The bears that I know of have started to feed on salmon. Will this flavour the meat too much ? Although a small rug would be nice it I can't justify it if it means a load of poor tasting meat.
I don't mean to sound cocky but my trouble isn't so much finding the bears, it is what to do after I found them.
Does anyone have advice about shot placement. The family and I hiked into a likely spot last weekend and we watched watched two bears at between 50 and 150 meters. Both bears were so sleek and shiny that it was hard to judge where the front sholder stopped and where the ribs started. Sorry I know I risk sparking a head vs. lung/heart debate it was just mildly unnerving to see how truly round these bears were. Not a single blue berry or black berry in the surrounding country side.
I know this will sound funny - I hunt with my wife who doesn't hunt. She is quite happy to come along for the walk, sit beside a frozen game trail for hours and once we are home she does all of the meat cutting but she doesn't pack a rife (she keeps threatening to take up bow hunting but that is another story). I keep reading that bears are much harder to kill than your average deer so my question is are they hard enough to kill that a rifle in her hands is prudent ? Before you ask I am a decent shot but yes my wife tends to outshoot me.
Most of my hunting spots are a good 5 to 10 km from the road or canoe. Between my wife and I we can easily walk out a healthy sized mule deer over these distances but from what I have read in the forums a black bear could easily out weigh bambi. If I field dress a bear how much should I expect it the largest quarter weigh and how much should the hide weigh?
Does any one have a taxidermist in the lower mainland they would recommend (I remember hides being tanned as a kid and it is not a practice to be done in an apartment)?

Gateholio
09-11-2007, 03:05 PM
If your primary motivation is meat, select an average or smallish size bear. Bigger boars tend to have stronger flavour.

DOn't shoot one that has been feeding on spawning salmon. It will affect the taste.

Vitals are a bit lower on a bear than a deer, but 1/3 up form the bottom of the chest works on gophers to grizzlies.

Bears can be a bit more tenacsious, but they really aren't hard to kill.

If you select a smaller or average size bear, packing it out will be liek packing out a good sized deer.

Remove the skin as quickly as possible, bears have alot of fat, and they need to cool quickly.

You can get a bear hide tanned only at North Surrey Tannery, and if you want arug made, there are several good taxidermists. I'd reccomend Heads Above the Rest or Ganders.

Tanya
09-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Black bear in my humble opinion is best in the spring when there is less fat on it. That being said, fall bears are OK and you can trim some fat off. Like any animal the younger are more tender. I just shot a mature boar, not ancient but definitely not young. We will save some chunks of hindquarters for stew meat, excellent with root veggies. The rest we will corn (as in corned beef) Trichinosis can be present in bear, so like pork must be cooked to an internal temperature of 140 degrees. No, freezing does not kill it.

This time of year it is more difficult to judge sows from boars unless young are present in which case it is obvious and you can't shoot. There are a few other little tips on telling, but they are subtle. They are lacking in contour as you have noticed and if all black as likely and it is difficult in some light conditions to "pick the spot". If the animals moves a front leg, it helps, but generally one third of the way up will do for a rifle shot, and quartering away or full broadside. They do not always leave good blood trails due to the fat and thick coat, so be aware of that. If you don't drop it, it will head for the thickest most dense bush available.

As far as recipes there are many sources available on the internet such as http://www.justgamerecipes.com/

Good luck, take a camera, clean up the critter, stick it's tongue in and show us how you do :smile:

Orangethunder
09-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I would shoot a smallish bear. Likely less fatty and certainly better tasting. As stated bear meat needs cooked to adequate temperatures. Given that it is much like pork it tends to not dry out as bad when cooked adequately as opposed to moose or deer. Just mind the worms!!

Steeleco
09-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Mainlanhunter is the Taxi some of us have used and are very happy with. Don't fret the worms, some have them some don't. I've taken a fair few bears and all have been great table fare!

Marc
09-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Don't worry about thew worms they don't eat much:biggrin:. If there any worms present they are usually only around the conective tissue and inside the body cavity not inbedded in the meat.

A young berry bear is the way to go if you're looking for a meat bear. I've had them in the spring and I've had them in the fall and like Tanyia said the ones feeding on the grass in the spring if nothing else is easier to work with as they don't have 2 inches of fat all over them. I've also found that the meat has a lot of fat in it that you don't see in a fall bear. It comes out when it's being cooked.

Marc.

Mr. Dean
09-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Blackie's yield some of the best eats in the animal kingdom. I took my 1st this past spring. I had the pleasure of it and 4 others to sample from. ALL GOOD!

If you don't care for beef, then you'll not be liking Bear. I found most people can't wrap their head around the fact that it is a bear that they're eating and that it doesn't matter how good it tastes. :confused:

I made mine into 98% sausages. The only thing I kept for the BBQ was the loins. The sausages are fine but next spring I'll save the entire hind 1/4's for steaks and such... Now that I know better. :smile:

I quartered mine in the field. When I weighed the sacks, the total weight came to ~ 200lbs. Hence why you'd like to shoot one that will roll to you, rather than away. :wink:

I have no idea what the head and cape weighed... maybe another 50?????

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1010156_edited-2.JPG

Just make sure that your shot is on the money. Wait for it to move a leg forward then aim slightly behind the shoulder about a 3rd up on the animal - Someone here has an excellent link for placement... It involved bows and bullets. Hopefully they read this.

Steeleco
09-11-2007, 05:46 PM
I can't seem to post the link but if you google "theidahosportsman" they have a PDF that's very good. Or just google "shot placement on black bears"

propfwd
09-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Makes great Ham and sausage but I find it very greasy when done as a roast.

browningboy
09-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Worms, really never seen them in a bear?? Are they big or very small??

Phreddy
09-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Just don't do what my old buddy and I did years back. After a successful hunt, we got into the sauce and butchered the bear on his kitchen floor. To say his wife was not impressed with the grease on the floor would be a vast understatement, and I have the scars to prove it.
Like any game, if you take your time and Keep it clean you've got some mighty fine eating. If you don't, your dog wouldn't eat it.

Steeleco
09-11-2007, 07:46 PM
The worms I've seen were in the guts, and some big. I hear the meat can have tiny little white worms but apparently they are safe to eat?

Will
09-11-2007, 08:48 PM
I hear the meat can have tiny little white worms but apparently they are safe to eat?
I shot one and the worms weren't that tiny..........very disgusting:shock:

Cook Bear meat thoroughly....No medium rare and you'll be fine.
It's Trichonosis you don't want:|

Yes properly cooked and or prepared and bear meat is a Treat :smile:

Greenstone
09-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Thats it now my mouth is watering for a bear roast! I've taken a bear in the spring as well as in the fall and I liked them both. The fall bear was a berry bear and I had it done up like hams and sausage and the spring bear I cut up in roasts and stew meat. The roasts I used the same spices you might use on a pork roast, marjorim and garlic and put it in the slow cooker. As some of the other hunters have said the bear will taste like what it has been eating, this time of year a berry bear I think is the best and a way from the fish. The worms I seen were in the stomach cavity, long and thin. I didn't see any in the meat but you never now so cook it well. Bear roast, gravy and some sour dough bread, tasty! I agree with a previous writer a good shot behind the front shoulder about a third back, you will have a little more to shoot at, the bears chest slopes and is not as thick right behind the front leg. He might keep moving because his metabolisim is so slow he doesn't know he's dead yet. Have fun and enjoy bear meat is tasty.

ryanb
09-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I've seen worms in the flesh. Any worm is fine to eat as long as it's cooked thoroughly. On the other hand, good luck actually WANTING to eat worms...From now on, I'm only shooting bears for dog food.

Mr. Dean
09-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Worms, really never seen them in a bear?? Are they big or very small??

Worms can be found in ALL types of meat. The only criteria a worm has "is it meat?"

From fish to fur-balls - It doesen't matter if your a worm.

Phreddy
09-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Soaking the meat in a salt & water mixture overnight takes care of any worms.

Will
09-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Soaking the meat in a salt & water mixture overnight takes care of any worms.
Just remember that Trich dosen't necessarily look like "worms" often they are small "cysts" that are very hard to see, once ingested they "hatch" into worms and live in the flesh of the host...or something like that anyways...either way it's not something you want:lol:

Once again eat Bear Meat "well done" to be safe.....same as Pork ;-)
Although trich in Commercially prepared Pork is pretty rare nowadays.

Phreddy
09-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Frank was excited about his new rifle and decided to try bear hunting.
He traveled up to Alaska, spotted a small brown bear and shot it.

Soon after there was a tap on his shoulder, and he turned around to see a big black bear.

The black bear said: "That was a very bad mistake. That was my cousin....

I'm going to give you two choices....either I maul you to death or we have sex."

After considering briefly, Frank decided to accept the latter alternative.

So the black bear had his way with Frank.

Even though he felt sore for two weeks, Frank soon recovered and vowed revenge.

He headed out on another trip to Alaska where he found the black bear and shot it dead.

Right after, there was another tap on his shoulder.

This time a huge grizzly bear stood right next to him.
The grizzly said: "That was a big mistake, Frank. That was my cousin...you've got two choices... either I maul you to death or
we have rough sex."

Again, Frank thought it was better to cooperate with the grizzly bear than be mauled to death.

So the grizzly had his way with Frank.
Although he survived, it took several months before Frank fully recovered.

Now Frank was completely outraged, so he headed back to Alaska and managed to track down the grizzly bear and shot it.

He felt sweet revenge, but then, moments later, there was a tap on his shoulder.
He turned around to find a giant polar bear standing there.

The polar bear looked at him and said: "Admit it Frank, you don't come here for the hunting, do you?"

FLHTCUI
09-13-2007, 09:07 AM
MMM Vancouver Island BlueBerry Patch Bears are the best tasteing !!!
Just make sure you read the Regs. on what bear you should shoot , like Do Not shoot one that is in acompaniance of its cub or for that matter a two year old bear either .
If you do see a bear on a slash watch and see if there are others around, you may see more than one and they are a really cool animal to watch not just to shoot.
From my experience they can be a challenge to sneak up on , but then again sitting in a slash and waiting for one to cross is always a good way to spend the morning.
Good Shooting.
Rob

DavidGordon
09-18-2007, 10:07 PM
I need thank everyone for their advice. My wife and I turned last weekend into a long weekend and spent four days behind squamish, around norton lake.

After a lot of miles we came up with our own three bears story.

First bear we found was too big, it looked well over six feet long. First time I have ever actually wanted a bigger rifle and more bullets.

The second bear was too clumsy. We found him up a tree eating grubs, trying to reach the next branch he fell out of the tree, hitting every branch on the way down. My wife refused to eat anything that just fell out of a tree (plus it is almost impossible to line up a good shot when someone is giggling behind you)
The third bear was just right so now we have a bear in the freezer.

One of these days I will learn to shoot animals closer to the vehicle.

We got this guy at about 3pm and it took us until 8pm to get out and even then we had to go back in the next day for the hide. All told the freezer is looking a little fuller. Hind quarters were about 45lbs and the fronts were 32 and 35lbs give or take the error on a bathroom scale.

The meat is looks beautiful and smells good. A few worms in between the fat and connective tissue. Between work and the regular family life my wife figures we have to wait until friday until we get to see how he tastes.

I would need to re-read the thread but whoever posted the advice about shot placement was bang on (sorry for the pun). First shot took part of the left lung and went right through the middle of the heart. The second shot was a complete waste, he had already started to fall down and I only took it because of my own in expirience.

The only thing the forum didn't mention was the bloody black flies. I have never hunted when it was this warm so I never though to go prepared for flies. As soon as the gut pile hit the ground every black fly south of prince george paid us a visit.

http://www.canoefish.com/miscimage/Smallbear.jpg

Mr. Dean
09-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Well there ya go!

Hopefully your hide didn't spoil. How long was he (?) from nose to tail?

DavidGordon
09-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Well there ya go!

Hopefully your hide didn't spoil. How long was he (?) from nose to tail?

I don't know if it means anything or not - the hide didn't smell at all when it went into the freezer so we may get lucky.

Being as it a first bear it would be nice to see him on the wall but if not I have a years worth of stew and sausage to remind me.

At the time I never though to measure him. Thinking back on it I would guess he was close five feet nose to tail - my reach spans about six feet and I could grab the rump end and scruff of his neck at the same time to drag him. When we pull the hide out of the freezer I will have a better idea.

I do know that I sadly underestimated his weight.

Mr. Dean
09-19-2007, 10:03 AM
The hides can be finiky... DON'T thaw it out. Leave it to the taxidermist.

Were you covered in hair after retrieving it? Hair loss (slippage) is the concern. this'll happen long before the 'smell' sets in. A good tax-man will know if it's worthy to rug/mount.

If it doesn't work out, not to worry =----> you'll be wanting another as SOON as you sink your teeth in to it. I'd lay money on that.

You shoulda dumped that 6'er if ya wanted a rug. :biggrin: They taste GREAT also!

You'll be AMAZED how fast that meat get's used up. The next one I take, I'll be slicing the hinds into steaks and chops. The rest will be cranked in to burger and stew meat.

FWIW I found that 2 hrs of soaking steaks in Italian salad dressing then cooked on the BBQ made for some of the best meals that I ever dined upon... WITH a nice bottle of red wine, of course. :wink:

Question: how did you decide on the area that you hunted? Was it a stab in the dark or was there some sort of intell behind it??

DavidGordon
09-19-2007, 12:52 PM
The hides can be finiky...Question: how did you decide on the area that you hunted? Was it a stab in the dark or was there some sort of intell behind it??

We had a pretty good idea that this there was a bear stomping around norton lake but the timing was pure luck. Based on advice from this forum we were trying to get to him before he headed lower for the salmon. We are pretty sure he is the bear we followed out of the hills that morning unless he was heading back up to the hills every night. His belly was still full of berries and I just can't imagine a bear travelling 7 plus km to bed down every day.

In the summer time we spend a lot of time hiking, backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking so we are slowly getting to know different parts of the lower mainland. Wandering around in the bush is a habbit I picked up from my father. He devoted a lot of time to it when I was a kid. In part I think he did it to keep my brother and me busy so now we do the same with our kids.

Mr. Dean
09-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Good to hear that you did the work for him - He'll now taste even sweeter.

If THAT'S even possible. :smile:

I get the impression that you're cutting him up ala 'Do It Yourself'. I just want to let you know that what you've wieght out as quarters, will shrink to about half, after you toss the fat and bones out.

One other thing... DON'T let Steeleco (member) know that you have a killed bear on your property.

He's BAAAD for mooching Bear parts. :lol: :lol:

:wink:

DavidGordon
09-19-2007, 01:26 PM
My wife and I were up until 3 am making big pieces of bear into little pieces of bear.

I don't know that she will part with ANYTHING at this point.

huntcoop
09-19-2007, 01:49 PM
If ya pay a professional to process all your bear meat into pepperoni and salami, does the temperature meet the "magic" number to get rid of the tric?

Mr. Dean
09-19-2007, 05:56 PM
If ya pay a professional to process all your bear meat into pepperoni and salami, does the temperature meet the "magic" number to get rid of the tric?

Yes.

Steeleco
09-19-2007, 07:33 PM
One other thing... DON'T let Steeleco (member) know that you have a killed bear on your property.There you go again, I'd rehabilitated, my son shoots my bears now!!! :roll::roll:

Good for you getting the bruin, now the fun begins!!! Mr. Dean will help, he's got lots of free time :eek:

DavidGordon
09-19-2007, 10:13 PM
There you go again, I'd rehabilitated, my son shoots my bears now!!! :roll::roll:

Good for you getting the bruin, now the fun begins!!! Mr. Dean will help, he's got lots of free time :eek:

I take it there is some history between you two.