PDA

View Full Version : FWID expires

Pioneerman
12-07-2018, 02:29 PM
I saw a blurb elsewhere and can see nothing here. Just to let everyone know that the hunter # we have will expire, mine is Jan 1 2019 so check yours online and see when your new expiry date is. You have to upload a pic of your drivers license for proof of residency if your DL is renewed in less than 6 months they might require more details , I called and got this information from them, they said I was the first person to call and ask and this is new implementation and will be needed every 3 years. So go check what date your# expires

Salmon Belly
12-07-2018, 04:46 PM
Pioneerman posted some great advice, check your FWID. Just logged in and mine said it would expire Jan 1, 2019. Had to upload pic of DL to confirm residency.

Thanks Pioneerman,

SB

From Pioneerman:
FWID expires
I saw a blurb elsewhere and can see nothing here. Just to let everyone know that the hunter # we have will expire, mine is Jan 1 2019 so check yours online and see when your new expiry date is. You have to upload a pic of your drivers license for proof of residency if your DL is renewed in less than 6 months they might require more details , I called and got this information from them, they said I was the first person to call and ask and this is new implementation and will be needed every 3 years. So go check what date your# expires

leftfield
12-07-2018, 04:56 PM
Nice of them to maybe touch a button or two and send out an email with some kind of statement

Salmon Belly
12-07-2018, 05:22 PM
Update: they approved my DL in under an hour and renewed the FWID to 2021. Easy as that... hardest part is knowing you need to do it.

Cheers,
SB

Elkhound
12-07-2018, 05:32 PM
interesting. didnt know it expired

264mag
12-07-2018, 05:41 PM
How do you upload your drivers license ? Do you just take a picture and upload that?

todbartell
12-07-2018, 05:46 PM
what pain in the ass

HappyJack
12-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Why don't they just link up with our drivers license renewals?? Is it so hard for one arm of the govt to communicate with another?

boxhitch
12-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Isn't wonderful how technology works
The same Gov't that regulates both driving and hunting licenses can't run an inside verification

Thanks for the info though

Arctic Lake
12-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Anyone know if you can renew earlier than your expiry date ? They should send you a renewal notice before your expiry date also .
Arctic Lake

limit time
12-07-2018, 06:09 PM
So WTF ? They expire now ? So no longer good for life like the old one ?? What BS... next they will charge for the renewal...

Bugle M In
12-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Thanks, I see that mine expires Jan 01 2019!!

twoSevenO
12-07-2018, 06:23 PM
what pain in the ass

X2. How do they just keep coming up with new ways to make shit complicated

butcher
12-07-2018, 06:33 PM
What about my kid. No drivers license. Jaysus effing Christ

limit time
12-07-2018, 06:38 PM

Its gooberment ..... some on this site say we need them...

todbartell
12-07-2018, 06:39 PM

I just uploaded my drivers license, took a pic of it and emailed it to myself and saved it onto computer. Once I managed to remember my BCeID login and password it didn't take too long. THis is going to be a nightmare for license vendors! :mad:

Island Idiots
12-07-2018, 06:44 PM
I just uploaded my drivers license, took a pic of it and emailed it to myself and saved it onto computer. Once I managed to remember my BCeID login and password it didn't take too long. THis is going to be a nightmare for license vendors! :mad:

I did that and it didnt work. I will try again. This kind of stuff is so stupid its laughable. Our super smart drivers license cant talk to our super smart hunting license system? What a bunch of dumb assess. Our smart meters probably know more than our MLA's

TyTy
12-07-2018, 07:03 PM
So how does this work with Tags that are vaild until March 31, 2019? ie. Cat tags,

Salmon Belly
12-07-2018, 07:04 PM
How do you upload your drivers license ? Do you just take a picture and upload that?

yes, but it wasn’t accepting the pic format so I saved it as a .pdf on my desktop and uploaded that.

Good luck everyone,

SB

Salmon Belly
12-07-2018, 07:05 PM
So how does this work with Tags that are vaild until March 31, 2019? ie. Cat tags,

I would guess you need to renew your FWID to hunt legally ...

SB

willyqbc
12-07-2018, 07:07 PM
....................sigh..............wheres the picture of the little yellow dude bangin his head against the wall............

Wood butcher
12-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Where do you even find the expiry date?

SMOLT333
12-07-2018, 07:20 PM
FWID is a permanent number linked to your personal online profile

Riverbc
12-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Mine doesn't expire until November 15, 2019, but I scanned my driver's licence and uploaded it to the site.

wos
12-07-2018, 08:12 PM
So my kid is only 11 how is she going to provide picture id? Just a thought.

huntcoop
12-07-2018, 08:18 PM

If I could figure out how to post a picture I’d show you, if you log in, it appears on the right side of your information profile.

rockrabbitt
12-07-2018, 08:29 PM
Go to Access BC and get her a BC ID card.

elknut
12-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Yah SMOLT33...I looked up on the BCeID website and seen the old hunter number card and the new one..You can go to Front Counter BC to get your new one ..On my old FWID the girl at the sporting goods dept got me a new 3 number add on to my old FWID ..This number stays with you for ever I think..I( will go in on Monday and ask questions and see about applying for a proper new FWID card....Dennis

elknut
12-07-2018, 08:47 PM
I don't think your FWID number expires ..It stays with you for life..Your old card might expire and so you can go to Front Counter BC or Service BC and get the new card ...Im going in on Monday and going to see about this hulla baloo ...Dennis..

todbartell
12-07-2018, 08:58 PM
It's your residency status that expires, which would prevent you from being able to purchase licenses, and probably land you in hot water if stopped by a CO when hunting

Bugle M In
12-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Yup, this is no BS.
Checked my FWID on the sire and it told me it was going to expire Jan 01 2019!
Last night, all was still fine when I heard about this, nothing showing, but today I saw it in red, that it was expiring.

Interesting how they seem to have done this "at the end of the season"!!
As many wouldn't even realize this until either spring bear hunting or next fall!!
No notice mailed out!, and I haven't heard that any R&G Clubs were made aware either.
Seems like somebody in the Ministry wants us to have a rough time!!??

todbartell
12-07-2018, 09:13 PM
https://i.imgur.com/RF863dK.jpg

scoutlt1
12-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Could this be any more painful and difficult???

I would have never known this unless I saw it on here...

Thanks for putting up this thread!

Deaddog
12-07-2018, 09:19 PM
Yup. Great system. Making it so “ easy” for people. What a load of bs.

elknut
12-07-2018, 09:31 PM
I applied for this when the new FWID came out ..They added 3 numbers to the front of my old hunter number..Guess I will go back to where I got it and have her go online and renew it ..Ive never left BC for residency so dont understand what you referred to TodBartell...I will go in tomorrow and find out ..Thanks for the info..I dont have an online username or password ..Hopefully this can be sorted out at the store where I got my FWID number updated a few years back...Dennis

todbartell
12-07-2018, 09:38 PM
I applied for this when the new FWID came out ..They added 3 numbers to the front of my old hunter number..Guess I will go back to where I got it and have her go online and renew it ..Ive never left BC for residency so dont understand what you referred to TodBartell...I will go in tomorrow and find out ..Thanks for the info..I dont have an online username or password ..Hopefully this can be sorted out at the store where I got my FWID number updated a few years back...Dennis

you didn't apply for a FWID, you were assigned one by the Gvt. You may of applied for a BCeID, I signed into mine today for the first time since April 2016, since I get all my licenses and tags from a vendor. Go to the gvt office, don't go to the store where you buy your tags, they won't be able to do a thing for you unfortunately. Every BC resident hunter's residency is expiring, you have to prove otherwise.

Deaddog
12-07-2018, 09:55 PM
100,000 plus people now have to truck down to the govt office and renew. What a well thought out bureaucratic mess . Thanks goes to the select few bureaucrats and wildlife “ reps” that sold us down the road

Wild one
12-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Lots of proven online hunting number/license/draw systems in North America and BC had to create their own

Suprise it’s over complicated and not a real improvement from the old system lol

ACE
12-07-2018, 10:22 PM
The Federal/Provincial governments don't want you to own firearms or hunt. All land belongs to . . . .
P!ssed off !

Yuritau
12-08-2018, 12:45 AM
Why don't they just link up with our drivers license renewals?? Is it so hard for one arm of the govt to communicate with another?

You're kidding right? That is literally the hardest thing to do in modern society.

Only other thing that comes close is getting a baby boomer to respect millennials.

Rackmastr
12-08-2018, 01:09 AM
You're kidding right? That is literally the hardest thing to do in modern society.

Only other thing that comes close is getting a baby boomer to respect millennials.

Or a millennial to respect a baby boomer...lol

landphil
12-08-2018, 05:01 AM
I see the site is saying my residency status is also expiring Jan 1. So my question is, has anyone dug up the part of the Wildlife Act that I’d be contravening if I go predator hunting with my current license in January? Without sending a copy of my BC services card photo ID to the BC govt, that is. Would that be an offence?

elknut
12-08-2018, 11:42 AM
I went into the store to find out about my FWID ...They looked it up and said my residency status expired Nov 15th 2019..They told me to go to Service BC ..Govt website not open on weekends ..Thanks Tod Bartell ...You hit it right on the nail...Also a side note this new FWID problem is going to really cause a Cluster ....you know what !.....Dennis

Gun Dog
12-08-2018, 12:33 PM
I uploaded an image of my BCDL and a day later I'm golden. I already had a cropped and resized image so it was easy. I seem to do a lot of document scanning these days.

At least I don't have to prove that I've been "physically present in B.C. for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the 12 calendar months immediately before doing a thing under the Wildlife Act".

hoochie
12-08-2018, 01:12 PM
Mine doesnt expire until July 15 2019. I will keep checking on it to see if something changes.

Pioneerman
12-08-2018, 02:03 PM

When you log in on the right side of your account profile it shows your expiry date

Pioneerman
12-08-2018, 02:17 PM
AS I mentioned in the first post this is new for 2019 and they are changing randoms months so not all have to verify at once. Yes you would think there would be an easier system but it is very simple to understand when you log in. I saw Rick posting in on FB and others seem to be rejecting his comments so I checked and sure enough I would expire Jan 1 also. Then I called to check the guy told me that I was the very first person to call and ask about it, but just a way to verify that those getting a BC hunting license are in BC. Granted this does not mean you truly live here, but for many who have had their # since begging of time like myself I could be living anywhere in Canada and still be hunting here with my old #. So maybe this will weed out some competition during the season and of course for LEH draws too. You will always have same number, but need to verify you are BC resident

Bugle M In
12-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Yes, they want to validate that people are still actually residents, which is understandable.
But, the lack of communication and getting it out there was absolutely deplorable.
None of my friends knew.

scoutlt1
12-08-2018, 03:32 PM
Yes, they want to validate that people are still actually residents, which is understandable.
But, the lack of communication and getting it out there was absolutely deplorable.
None of my friends knew.

Agreed! When I look online at my FWID, I see my name, address, phone number, email address....not too damn hard to get a hold of me and let me know! :mad:

5jackz
12-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the info . Never would have known that they expire . Already taken care of mine and my sons' .:cool:

Glockenspiel
12-08-2018, 05:54 PM
Agreed! When I look online at my FWID, I see my name, address, phone number, email address....not too damn hard to get a hold of me and let me know! :mad:

Totally agree. this is bloody absurd and shows incompetence on the part of government. we know where their allegiance lies.

Took me ten minutes in all to update. Will see what happens.

As an aside, if you are stopped and questioned, your driver's licence is your proof of residency, and links to your valid hunting licence.

Glockenspiel

quarterman
12-08-2018, 10:43 PM
I updated mine today, Thanks to all of you who posted this, It really pisses me off that they don't tell you this when they have all your contact info.

newhunterette
12-09-2018, 04:02 AM
Funny I posted about this a few days ago.... all I did was take a photo of my D.L. and uploaded it .... within an hour I had new date for Dec 5 2021.....very easy

wickit
12-09-2018, 07:50 AM
I am the president of our local club and a core examiner. There has been no communication from the government or the BCWF on this.

northof49
12-09-2018, 08:07 AM
Anyone know what happens if someone isn’t aware and doesn’t do it by deadline. Like others, am amazed this wasnt rolled out better.

newhunterette
12-09-2018, 08:53 AM
I called and talked to Front Counter BC and was told basically would be like driving without a license.... you would be hunting without a license.... you would not be able to hunt until the proof of residency has been made

limit time
12-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Funny I posted about this a few days ago.... all I did was take a photo of my D.L. and uploaded it .... within an hour I had new date for Dec 5 2021.....very easy

Is this when your DL expires ?

limit time
12-09-2018, 09:19 AM
What the hell does it expire !?!? Will we need to take the course over again if we don’t renew after a certain duaration ? Stupid Goberment.

boxhitch
12-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Anyone know what happens if someone isn’t aware and doesn’t do it by deadline. Like others, am amazed this wasnt rolled out better.Likely would get a by.
The real crunch would come when trying to buy next years license

sako79
12-09-2018, 09:50 AM
I think this is a good thing. Too many people cheat the system by moving out of the province but keeping an address here. This way it will make More residents actually hunting

Wild one
12-09-2018, 10:01 AM
I think this is a good thing. Too many people cheat the system by moving out of the province but keeping an address here. This way it will make More residents actually hunting

Wont change a thing a form of BC id has been needed to purchase a resident hunting license forever basically

I understand your theory but the online system actually makes it easier to cheat because you only have to prove residency every couple years not every time you purchase a tag or license

butthead
12-09-2018, 11:02 AM
I did that and it didnt work. I will try again. This kind of stuff is so stupid its laughable. Our super smart drivers license cant talk to our super smart hunting license system? What a bunch of dumb assess. Our smart meters probably know more than our MLA's

Ouch that hurt. Our smart meters probably know more than our MLA's lmao

Avalanche123
12-09-2018, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Took a few minutes of computer time to upload a photo. The sky isn't falling. It is a new system and I would bet as it improves, automatic reminders will be sent out. Yes I am optimistic. It is probably an oversight and resolved easily.

r106
12-09-2018, 12:31 PM
What a pain in the ass

Bugle M In
12-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Should go without say, but remember to tell anybody you know that hunts to "log in and check".
Tell them to pass it on to.

303savage
12-09-2018, 01:07 PM
What is a FWID card?

Pioneerman
12-09-2018, 01:32 PM
What is a FWID card?

I assume you are joking, but for those who might not understand it is your hunter number, but a while ago they added three numbers to it and changed the name

landphil
12-09-2018, 01:36 PM
I assume you are joking, but for those who might not understand it is your hunter number, but a while ago they added three numbers to it and changed the name

Why would you assume he’s joking? I’ve never laid eyes on a FWID card. All I have is my old hunter number card with my new 3 digits handwritten (by me) on it so I can reference my FWID number if I can’t remember it.

So, is there such a thing as a FWID card?

Pioneerman
12-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Wont change a thing a form of BC id has been needed to purchase a resident hunting license forever basically

I understand your theory but the online system actually makes it easier to cheat because you only have to prove residency every couple years not every time you purchase a tag or license

How would you be able to have a updated BC id or DL if not living here ? You can not have BCDL and be a resident of another province you have to have their DL. I also have not ever remembered giving any other ID to buy a license or tags other than hunters #or possibly my old license.
Also if you are now buy license and tags online they will have your information

Pioneerman
12-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Why would you assume he’s joking? I’ve never laid eyes on a FWID card. All I have is my old hunter number card with my new 3 digits handwritten (by me) on it so I can reference my FWID number if I can’t remember it.

'
OK fine, but so you know they are not called hunters # they are now and since you got that 3 extra numbers called FWID They did not issue cards so most people wrote their number down as I did too

Wild one
12-09-2018, 01:55 PM
How would you be able to have a updated BC id or DL if not living here ? You can not have BCDL and be a resident of another province you have to have their DL. I also have not ever remembered giving any other ID to buy a license or tags other than hunters #or possibly my old license.
Also if you are now buy license and tags online they will have your information

Correct you need B.C. ID with both but old system you have to produce ID with every tag/license purchase new system you actually can go multiple seasons without proving resistance.

So no the new system does not make it harder for an ex BC resident to proceed to hunt as a resident. It actually makes it easier to cheat until you need to re new your resident status after someone moves

either way I don’t think this is a big issue in BC but was only explaining to sako79 that the new system does not help stop non residents hunting under a resident license in BC compared to the old system

scoutlt1
12-09-2018, 02:27 PM
Why didn't they just get us to put in our BCDL# when we applied for the FWID?

Then whenever you go online to buy a hunting license/tag they check that your BCDL is valid and away we go.

Too simple?

Pioneerman
12-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Why didn't they just get us to put in our BCDL# when we applied for the FWID?

Then whenever you go online to buy a hunting license/tag they check that your BCDL is valid and away we go.

Too simple?

Could be becasue some are too young for DL and many people lose their license for what ever reason for a certain period of time, but does not disallow them to hunt

scoutlt1
12-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Here is the link "Summary of acceptable documentation". (sorry if its already been posted)

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/job-aids/summary_of_acceptable_documentation.pdf

nature girl
12-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Anyone else having trouble logging in to bceid today.

Avalanche123
12-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Anyone else having trouble logging in to bceid today.
There is an issue with all government log in's today, not just bceid.

nature girl
12-09-2018, 04:36 PM
There is an issue with all government log in's today, not just bceid.

Thank you for the info

ratherbeshooting
12-10-2018, 09:44 AM
All this moaning and groaning is tiring. I took a picture of my DL with my phone, and uploaded that. It was renewed within 2hrs. Total time commitment, 10min MAX. We've all lived here for a while, why does it come as any surprise that we weren't informed about this. Just another hoop. Life too short to get hung up on this stuff. Rant over.

todbartell
12-10-2018, 04:25 PM
I got an email saying my FWID has been updated to reflect a change to the status of one of my credentials. I logged in and my residency is now expiring Dec10 2021

Fozzie
12-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Signed into my account the other day. My expiration date isn’t until November but basically says I can’t renew until I’m within a 6 month window of my expiry date.

todbartell
12-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Signed into my account the other day. My expiration date isn’t until November but basically says I can’t renew until I’m within a 6 month window of my expiry date.

good to know, thanks

Does anyone know if you can renew at a Gvt office? If you don't have a BCeID set up?

Bugle M In
12-10-2018, 05:29 PM
So, took a scan of BCDL, submitted it as a pdf file on Friday, and today, all good.
Just had to log back in was all.

Vortex hunter
12-10-2018, 11:12 PM
Mine also Jan 2019 just uploaded my drivers licences onto the site was easy.. I didnt know it expired also fricking stupid what's NEXT LOL

VLD43
12-11-2018, 11:12 AM
good to know, thanks

Does anyone know if you can renew at a Gvt office? If you don't have a BCeID set up?

You can renew at a "Services BC office" if you have one in your are. Renewing on the website is pretty easy. Give it a try

butthead
12-11-2018, 11:16 AM
good to know, thanks

the lady in the vernon office said you can update at dmv

todbartell
12-11-2018, 11:32 AM
yes, I just spoke with Vanderhoof Goverment Office and you can renew in person. Great news for those who don't have BCeID

ACB
12-11-2018, 11:32 AM
I was at the Services BC office yesterday and they renewed mine for 3 more years, was due to expire Jan 1st

moosinaround
12-11-2018, 11:59 AM
just renewed mine. Was easy once I figured out where to find the proper tab on my profile page on the govt website! Moosin

wideopenthrottle
12-11-2018, 12:47 PM
mine wasn't due until nov 15 2019 but I renewed it today so it didn't run out during hunting season...approved in less than an hour

doubleeagle
12-11-2018, 12:56 PM
mine was to expire July, 2019. Renewed for 3 years in just over an hour

elknut
12-11-2018, 01:39 PM
To set up a BCeID is very easy ..Google BCeID login ..Follow instructions to set up an account ..I used Basic ..Give name address email and create a user name and password ..Write them in a book so you dont forget it..After you have your account you can go to FWID and type in your 9 number hunter Number and a few other things ..It then will show you your profile and your expiration date ..Also says your password expires 2 years after it is created..So you will have to create a new password to log in 3 years later to update ...Hope this helps Tod Bartell ..Dennis

Night Hawk 3
12-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Here's the notice on the BC Gov't Hunting website page:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/important-notices

I agree with everyone on here that this is needless (stupid) bureaucracy... like what else is new!?

How are we supposed to know what hoops we have to jump through when they don't tell you about the hoops in the first place? (Thank you to the OP for starting this thread) The whole FWID/Angler system is laughably awkward, not well thought-out, and has poor implementation.

I would also urge everyone, who hasn't already done so, to file your online petitions and write letters to our illustrious Federal gov't with respect to the propositions that are in Bill C71. And, consider carefully who you're going to vote for in the next elections.

~John

Salty
12-11-2018, 04:52 PM
I've always done it old school (lazy) and got shops to manage my licences but followed advice here and figured out how to log in to my Fish and Wildlife account. I'm still not sure how I did that so don't ask. lol. My FWID expires next November and I think I read here you can't mess with it until you're inside the 6 mo window so I'll leave it for now. I got my email on my profile which wasn't there prior so wouldn't a guy think they'd send an email reminder next year :confused: Sounds like they've got some growing pains all right..

bighornbob
12-11-2018, 09:49 PM
I've always done it old school (lazy) and got shops to manage my licences but followed advice here and figured out how to log in to my Fish and Wildlife account. I'm still not sure how I did that so don't ask. lol. My FWID expires next November and I think I read here you can't mess with it until you're inside the 6 mo window so I'll leave it for now. I got my email on my profile which wasn't there prior so wouldn't a guy think they'd send an email reminder next year :confused: Sounds like they've got some growing pains all right..

mine also said November 2019. I uploaded my pic the other day and it now says December 2021. So you can do it outside the 6months.

Buckmeister
12-11-2018, 10:32 PM
Government......talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing and vise versa

wideopenthrottle
12-12-2018, 07:36 AM
mine wasn't due until Nov 15 2019 and I renewed it no problem
...not sure where the 6 month thing came from

labguy
12-12-2018, 08:53 AM
How long is the renewal good for before having to go through this process again?

Blockcaver
12-12-2018, 09:19 AM
They renew for 3 years. Take a few minutes of your time to renew on line, then it sounds like as fast as an hour to update your file, or as slow as the next business day if you do it in the evening, weekend or holiday.

ian745
12-12-2018, 10:01 AM
thanks to the OP for this thread, i never look at that unless its tag buying time, got it updated, good till 2021 now, such another stupid step

Pioneerman
12-12-2018, 10:26 AM
How long is the renewal good for before having to go through this process again?
Good for three years

Pioneerman
12-12-2018, 10:29 AM
mine wasn't due until Nov 15 2019 and I renewed it no problem
...not sure where the 6 month thing came from

Not much need to renew long before your expiry date as I did mine which was due Jan 1 now it is due three years from the date of renewal , but saves missing it during hunting season

Fozzie
12-12-2018, 12:10 PM
In my BCeid account, tell’s me I can’t renew until within 6 months of my expiration date which is November 15, 2019. Good to know that you can.

ACE
12-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Went to the Ladysmith library and they scanned my documents then e-mailed them to my computer.
This e-mail was forwarded to the frontcounterbc@gov.bc.ca address.
Received a conformation that it was received by them.

Just an update . . .
This did not work. They did not accept my documents.
Photographed my documents, then uploaded them to the Govt. site
Wait and see . . . . ?

REMINGTON JIM
12-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Went to the Ladysmith library and they scanned my documents then e-mailed them to my computer.
This e-mail was forwarded to the frontcounterbc@gov.bc.ca address.
Received a conformation that it was received by them.

Did you have to remove your mask to get into the Public library ? :wink: RJ

ACE
12-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Did you have to remove your mask to get into the Public library ? :wink: RJ

:cool::grin: Had to put it on !

scoutlt1
12-12-2018, 06:24 PM
I'm still scratching my head at why we need to send a picture of our BCDL?

And how does that prove residency in BC for the next 3 years?

Why not just have us provide the BCDL number, and then check its validity at the time of purchase of hunting license/tags?

Avalanche123
12-12-2018, 06:42 PM
I'm still scratching my head at why we need to send a picture of our BCDL?

And how does that prove residency in BC for the next 3 years?

Why not just have us provide the BCDL number, and then check its validity at the time of purchase of hunting license/tags?

Because that particular gov't agency thought it was a good idea. It's not perfect but it's what we have right now, it will continue to improve.

todbartell
12-12-2018, 06:51 PM

I lost my drivers license. Sell me a moose tag, NOW!

landphil
12-12-2018, 07:04 PM
it will continue to improve.

Bwahahahaha! Good one!

stinkyduck
12-12-2018, 07:07 PM

Absolutely! I don't even know where to log on, What a bunch of Bullsh@t, My dad is 85 and likes to hunt a bit still,now he has to go through stupid shit like this is ridiculous!

scoutlt1
12-12-2018, 07:13 PM
I lost my drivers license. Sell me a moose tag, NOW! If they've got your BCDL# on record, you can lose it/have it stolen/etc....and they will still know if your license is valid. (You can also choose one of the other options such as providing your BC Services card #).
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea to have to show residency. This just seems like a rather strange and ineffective way of doing so. I just don't understand the "send a picture" idea. Why not have us just provide a number of the required document?

And really.....as if I'm ever sucessful in drawing a moose tag... :)

stinkyduck
12-12-2018, 07:57 PM
All the anxiety I had before and durning, watching my wife update my profile, Its done, man i was sweating that one.

Pioneerman
12-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Absolutely! I don't even know where to log on, What a bunch of Bullsh@t, My dad is 85 and likes to hunt a bit still,now he has to go through stupid shit like this is ridiculous!

Just type FWID into a search engine and it should be first one that pops up, then click log in on right side, page changes and then log in, and simple

Nechako Outdoors
12-13-2018, 05:52 PM
see below for info we received today from the Gvt

Good Afternoon:

There have been a few questions around this residency renewal requirement, and Fish and Wildlife have prepared a FAQ for your review below.
FrontCounter BC and Service BC staff have the ability to update the dates for residency credentials.

Why is there an expiry? The B.C. resident credential expires every three years to make sure that hunters in B.C. are in fact residents of this province. If a person moves out of the province, we don’t want to allow them to continue hunting as a resident. The three year check allows us to confirm their continues residency in B.C. Three years was selected as a reasonable time frame for this check.

Clients can proactively renew their residency credential whenever they choose. We have suggested via communication on our web site that they should renew if they notice it will expire within 6 months, however, if they ask to renew earlier than that, they should be able to.
The same documents are accepted for residency credential renewals, but they don’t have to prove having been in B.C for the past 6 months – the fact that they already have a credential means that they’ve already proven they are a resident, and as long as they have B.C. identification to support that they continue to be a resident, this is sufficient.
A client has to have a valid B.C. residency credential to apply for LEH.

If their residency credential expires between the time they apply and the draw date, their application will still go in the draw and they are still eligible to win an authorization. If they win an authorization, and their credential has expired, they will need to re-prove residency at the time they decide to buy a licence.

A client has to have a valid B.C. residency credential to buy resident licences.

If their B.C. residency credential expires after they’ve bought licences, and while they’re in the field hunting, they will not get charged. If they are stopped in the field by a Conservation Officer (CO), they will be asked to show their ID, and as long as they are still a resident, they will just need to update their credential the next time they interact with the B.C. Hunting system.

Communicate to their vendors that the B.C. resident credential may expire for their customers, and that they can advise their customers to renew their credential in person at a ServiceBC or FrontCounter BC location, or online by logging into the BC Hunting online service.
The vendor system shows the expiry date for residency credentials.
Vendors cannot update residency credentials.

cptnoblivious
12-16-2018, 09:51 AM
None of my friends knew.
This right here.

There should be a simple FAQ document and a clear _notification_ via email or other means to remind you with plenty of time to get things updated.

Couple of quick points.

1. if you have kids, they fall under their parents documentation
2. all acceptable documents are in this link here (including the statement about under 18 yrs old documentation) https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/job-aids/summary_of_acceptable_documentation.pdf

Alec
12-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Since there is no 'recall' on your BC DL as you move to AB, and a DL is for 5 years, whereas the FWID is for 3, your residency could very well have changed when you renew the FWID.

Bugle M In
12-17-2018, 04:51 PM
Thanks Captnoblivious for point 1 & 2.
Will be looking into that, as I hadn't considered that.
Cheers.

ekul246
12-18-2018, 09:20 AM
I renewed mine after coming across this thread.
It was evening, I loaded a previously scanned image of my DL. Was approved early the next morning.

Rieber
12-19-2018, 09:14 PM
I had a day off today so I went into the Front Counter ServicesBC in Chilliwack and did the ID update. It was set to expire in November '19. I also picked up the 2018-19 LEH Reg Synopsis. I never knew they come out so early

f350ps
12-19-2018, 10:57 PM
I had a day off today so I went into the Front Counter ServicesBC in Chilliwack and did the ID update. It was set to expire in November '19. I also picked up the 2018-19 LEH Reg Synopsis. I never knew they come out so early
Those are this years not next years! K

Rieber
12-19-2018, 11:15 PM
Those are this years not next years! K

Yes, that would make sense as this is still 2018 after all.

SavageJB
01-24-2019, 10:37 AM
I just saw mine will expire July 2019. So I put in for LEH, potentially get it, then when hunting in the fall I am not legal if I have not checked this??!?!?! Anyone else feel that the government is trying to F*CK over resident hunters with this garbage!

My pops is not of the generation of computer literacy, and I think this is exclusionary and an attempt to lower resident hunter numbers to allocate to outfitters, etc. In no way should this expire, just as your hunter number never expired.

Absolute BULLSHIT!

twoSevenO
01-24-2019, 10:46 AM
I just saw mine will expire July 2019. So I put in for LEH, potentially get it, then when hunting in the fall I am not legal if I have not checked this??!?!?! Anyone else feel that the government is trying to F*CK over resident hunters with this garbage!

My pops is not of the generation of computer literacy, and I think this is exclusionary and an attempt to lower resident hunter numbers to allocate to outfitters, etc. In no way should this expire, just as your hunter number never expired.

Absolute BULLSHIT!

My father would never think to check this either so I'm gonna have to do it for him asap.

Why the hell don't they mail out a letter for this? If they can do a paper hunting harvest survey you'd think they'd slip a note about this into the same envelope at least?!?

Bugle M In
01-24-2019, 10:49 AM

Absolute BULLSHIT!

Yes, I had to help my dad out as well getting him "updated".
That website even for me was a real pain in the ass even for me.
He would have never of known, and by the time hunting rolled around, would have realized he is shit out of luck.

Please let everyone you know who hunts be made aware of this "Expiry" !.
Offer them help if they require it folks.
Last thing I want to see is the government, especially this one, reducing are actual hunter #'s due to
"technicalities"!

dmaxtech
01-24-2019, 11:17 AM
My father would never think to check this either so I'm gonna have to do it for him asap.

Why the hell don't they mail out a letter for this? If they can do a paper hunting harvest survey you'd think they'd slip a note about this into the same envelope at least?!?

I got a letter with my harvest survey advising to check FWID for residency credentials expiry.

Whiterock
01-24-2019, 12:47 PM
I was tpld I dont need this # to buy my liscence and tags at a vender,,anyone confirm this?

caddisguy
01-24-2019, 12:57 PM
I got a letter with my harvest survey advising to check FWID for residency credentials expiry.

My brother got it with the harvest survey as well. It seems they mailed it out with the harvest survey, but the survey only goes to a portion of hunters.

Ajsawden
01-24-2019, 01:27 PM
None of my wife, dad, brother, father-in-law, brother-in-law, or I was notified, and we were all set to expire on January 1st. It was only through various grapevines that I went to check on December 31st. I don't know how the in-laws made out. Most of their licencing takes place through a vendor as even my bro-in-law is pretty bad with computers. Not cool government, not cool.

lovemywinchester
01-24-2019, 01:27 PM
I got the letter with my survey as well. My buddy threw his survey envelope out and was bitching about how he wasn't notified. :confused:
I went to Service Canada and it was done in 5 min.