PDA

View Full Version : Habitat Work - VOLUNTEERS NEEDED - WSSBC

WSSOBC
12-06-2018, 08:36 PM
The WSSBC will be hosting a thinning project near Penticton on Saturday, December 8th. The project is designed to improve sight lines for bighorn sheep and other ungulates on their winter range. We will be cutting and piling smaller trees and brush in preparation for burning. Anyone wishing to join us can email WSSBC Director Peter Gutsche at petergutsche@gmail.com for more detailed information.

https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa67/bruin_photo/47465524_2122815264435809_1412641587200000000_n_zp smbvk5jf4.jpg (https://s198.photobucket.com/user/bruin_photo/media/47465524_2122815264435809_1412641587200000000_n_zp smbvk5jf4.jpg.html)

Scotty76
12-06-2018, 09:11 PM
Does this kind of work also help new growth now that the surface is clear of debris ?

Thank you for the work you guys do.

walks with deer
12-06-2018, 10:29 PM
more notice required sn bigger turnout will be aquired

whitlers
12-06-2018, 11:19 PM
Yeah I would have been down but I already have a hunting trip planned. Good on them. Glad they are reaching out to volunteers

boxhitch
12-07-2018, 02:34 AM
Cancelled my hunting plan for the day, heading down to help
Can ride share from Vernon

walks with deer
12-07-2018, 07:03 AM
i am always looking for a excuse to put on my ass less leather chaps... good on you boxhitch. and wssbc.
on another note take a look at wssbc website...its rather impressevie there mandate and goals.
i will be starting another thread on it...there not just rich guys comparing horns..i think they me the ones we need to lead up hunters united.

pg83
12-07-2018, 08:02 AM
Does this kind of work also help new growth now that the surface is clear of debris ?
Thank you for the work you guys do.

The cutting and piling that will be done is the first step in the process. Burning is also planned, but is unlikely to be done this weekend. There will be another call out for volunteers at that time. The end goal is to increase the natural grasslands of the area - prime sheep range

more notice required sn bigger turnout will be aquired

We only recently obtained the permitting required to do the work and had to adjust our target dates because of this. My apologies.

Cancelled my hunting plan for the day, heading down to help
Can ride share from Vernon

We need more of this! Thank you!

i am always looking for a excuse to put on my ass less leather chaps...

But, not this!

good on you boxhitch. and wssbc.
on another note take a look at wssbc website...its rather impressevie there mandate and goals.
i will be starting another thread on it...there not just rich guys comparing horns..i think they me the ones we need to lead up hunters united.

Thank you for the kind words.

338win mag
12-07-2018, 08:27 AM
Sounds like alot of fun too be had, I'm going to have to work on Sat, if anything changes I will go on down, would like to help.
Good on you guys for helping!

scott h
12-09-2018, 06:33 PM
What an awesome project and I would have loved to have helped. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at thick over grown bush and thought how easy (and quick) it would be to improve it with a bunch of guys and chain saws. Hopefully you find the time to let us know how it all went.

walks with deer
12-09-2018, 08:26 PM
dude i was just joking...and bumping your thread
let us know i am in to help.

pg83
12-09-2018, 09:09 PM
dude i was just joking...and bumping your thread
let us know i am in to help.

I know! I was serious about not wanting to see you in assless chaps though. :lol:

We managed to put a good dent in our area of focus. Plans are in place to continue with this project in the Spring and we will be sure to have more notice.

Redthies
12-09-2018, 11:12 PM
i am always looking for a excuse to put on my ass-less leather chaps...

Chaps with asses are called pants! :roll:

If it wasn’t a 5 hour drive each way, I’d have gone up. Thanks for putting in the effort!

Rhyno
12-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Chaps with asses are called pants! :roll:

If it wasn’t a 5 hour drive each way, I’d have gone up. Thanks for putting in the effort!

Totally understand., but we were fortunate to have people travel 11 hours EACH way to,attend the Bull River project.

Seeker
12-10-2018, 04:12 PM
Great job folks! Unfortunately the notice was a bit late for me to make plans. Participating in a little moose management research. If you folks are willing, a few of the local clubs would likely have some volunteers, me being one of them, that would be willing to help. Reach out to them, they all have websites, email distribution lists and social media pages that could spread the word quickly. Again great job and I look forward to hearing more.

We conducted such a project on Bald Range in behind West Kelowna 5 plus years ago, and we still have not been given the green light to burn those piles. We even had local biologists helping us with the project. Unfortunately an invasive weed St. John's-Wort became an issue and the project has largely been abandoned.

Good luck.

walks with deer
12-10-2018, 07:10 PM
read this.real action not just talk all the more reason to support hunter heritage and wssbc

boxhitch
12-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately an invasive weed St. John's-Wort became an issue and the project has largely been abandoned. Sounds like a good excuse for a weed party
pulling, piling, burning, rolling, smoking............its all good
Groups pulling invasive weeds is a thing too )

boxhitch
12-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Felt good to help out at Greyback with the spacing work, glad we didn't have to interrupt good cutting with any piling work.
Arms were a little peakid the next morning, its been a while since I ran a saw for 5 hours straight )

Also, wonder just how close were we to actual sheep habitat ?
j/k........ it'll help the other ungulates )