PDA

View Full Version : Tripods

wos
12-06-2018, 08:54 AM
I recently upgraded my spotting scope and as every one knows one thing leads to another. Now i need a tripod. I want two things out of it light weight is #1 i do a lot of hiking. And 2 is obviously stability. Budget will be taken into consideration but good tools aren't cheap and i understand that.
What do you guys recommend.

twoSevenO
12-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Well .... what is the budget?

Gone_Fishin_
12-06-2018, 09:51 AM
Recently picked up a Vortex High Country - for $139.99 and only 2.2 lbs I am very impressed with how it handled. Recent November hunt we were glassing an area with extreme winds and there was literally no shaking what so ever.

Light and compact.

I'm sure there is way better out there but for $150 bucks, cant really go wrong IMO

Frank grimes
12-06-2018, 01:03 PM
I picked up a manfrotto befree with the fluid video head earlier this year. Think I paid around 200 for it. It’s pretty compact and stable enough for my 65mm vanguard spotter. And it’s perfect for my binos. The vortex summit ss looks pretty good too.

wos
12-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Budget is up to 400 but would like to spend about 200.

BRvalley
12-06-2018, 02:10 PM
I have a vortex summit ss with the 3 way pan head...it is a light tripod, rated to 5 lbs, I used it with a 4lb spotter and the legs work well enough, never used it with the legs fully extended so i suspect it might wobble then, quick to setup...but the pan head sucks, it was smooth out of the box but very quickly grew rough and grinds, little specks of aluminum falling out of it....so if you have a heavy spotter I wouldn't recommend it

Bugle M In
12-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Something like a manfrotto or like me, a giottas.
Not sure how light you want however.
If you want light you will most likely give up "smoothness" type features for panning.

zippermouth
12-06-2018, 03:09 PM
I bought a carbon manfroto element, ball head for sheep hunting. Works good for me. 239 I believe from London drugs. Weights 2lbs 4 oz. top of the tripod is 55 inches when it’s up all the way.

Greenthumbed
12-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Another vote for the vortex summit ss $200. light weight and holds my 65mm spotter very well at a seated position. Legs have multiple positions and is easy to set up. One elk season of of heavy use and multiple days birdwatching and still going strong. The panhead still performs smoothly with no grinding. I'm please with my purchase.

northof49
12-06-2018, 09:42 PM
Better to be called tripod than bipod

Seth
12-07-2018, 06:50 AM
Depending on what spotter your attaching it to, I’d suggest the Sirui T-025X (Carbon fibre) . I have one on a Swaro Ats 65mm and it’s awesome. If weight weren’t a factor there would be better options but weight being a factor, it’s hard to beat.

MBOGO
12-07-2018, 07:07 AM
I've been using the Sirui T-025 Carbon fibre with a Swaro 65mm It's a great tripod. Got mine for about $200 US a few years ago. Pm me if you need more info on where i got it

SR80
12-07-2018, 07:38 AM
Theres an outdoorsmans setup on forsale on here for around 450. Which is a screaming deal for that setup. And you won't find a better tripod than that .

xfactor
12-07-2018, 07:56 AM
Theres an outdoorsmans setup on forsale on here for around 450. Which is a screaming deal for that setup. And you won't find a better tripod than that .

not any more there isn't :) great deal, great guy to deal with!!

ElectricDyck
12-07-2018, 08:37 AM
I have a slik carbon that Im happy with..I got the tall one with the removable center tube, was about $250, I broke one of the legs when something fell on it in the back of the truck and I was able to purchase replacement parts for $80 bucks..I believe its about 2 lbs..

I put the vanguard ph 111v head on it that was about $100 bucks and smooth and stays stopped when you let go..

wos
12-07-2018, 08:51 AM
Wow they all seem to be around 2 lbs. I was hoping to find something a lot lighter than that. Perhaps my expectations were to high.

zippermouth
12-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Wow they all seem to be around 2 lbs. I was hoping to find something a lot lighter than that. Perhaps my expectations were to high.
ya you probably wont find much under 2 lbs with a decent height when extended. My first manfroto and head were 5 lbs, really didnt like packing that one around, but it was really nice to glass with. if you want the best go with a gitzo. my set up is pretty much as light as i could find for that price range (250). the ball head drops a lot of oz's but not quite as nice to pan with.

ElectricDyck
12-07-2018, 09:07 AM
I think its like pulling a trailer thats heavier than your truck the trailer pulls your truck around..when you have a 2lb plus spotter you need an equally weighted tripod..I tried a lighter tripod it was always un balanced and tipping over

Westslope
12-07-2018, 09:22 AM
I picked up a Zomei carbon fibre Tripod on Amazon, I was less concerned about brand name and more concerned with material. The Zomei is carbon fibre, light strong, easy on the hands when it's cold and calms down quick if bumped. I removed the ballhead it came with and put on a Manfrotto befree pan head. Both items cost a little south of $200. I was really impressed with the Zomei tripod, built really well, like all the other new carbon entries into market the price will rocket up when they get popular. The whole deal weighs about 3lbs, you can save some weight by removing legs and capping them. I can get mine down to around 2.2lbs if you don't need the height. Rock solid with the swaro 65mm sitting on top of it. Searching for the right tripod can make one crazy, there are so many options.

zippermouth
12-07-2018, 09:33 AM
I think its like pulling a trailer thats heavier than your truck the trailer pulls your truck around..when you have a 2lb plus spotter you need an equally weighted tripod..I tried a lighter tripod it was always un balanced and tipping over
mine has a hook on it in the middle, pretty sure this if for hanging weight off of if it is unstable. be pretty easy to hang a rock or something equivalent to make it steady.

twoSevenO
12-07-2018, 10:56 AM

I have an entry level manfrotto I bought on amazon for $85 and it is under 2lbs and trust me, you dont want it under 2lbs. My spotter is only a 65mm

It's just not stable enough. Adjusting at max mag is very difficult as the whole.thing will move a little. And even the slightest wind will make the picture vibrate.

I purchased an amazon basics "carbon" one for like $100 and it is way better. It's amazing as far as cheap tripods go. It's also about 2lbs but still suffers from a little shake in high winds.

Definitely do not attempt to go under 2lbs.

ElectricDyck
12-07-2018, 12:06 PM
mine has a hook on it in the middle, pretty sure this if for hanging weight off of if it is unstable. be pretty easy to hang a rock or something equivalent to make it steady.

Yeah I forgot I've seen that before where they had a bag you could fill up with rocks and hang from it awesome idea

elknut
12-07-2018, 12:17 PM
I use the Vanguard Pro T 40 tripod ..Its for sale for $ 155.00...It weighs about 2 lbs ...Very stable tripod ..Love It ..Well made ...Won't break like some lightly constructed ones ...Dennis It extends to 42 inches..

Seeker
12-07-2018, 01:43 PM
Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the Central Okanagan, I have a Vortex SS you can try. It is great for a nice easy and quick setup, but the 65 mm scope I have on top is a bit heavy for it. You have to aim above the target and then lock the head. when you let go, it drops down to your desired field of view. Not ideal. I am definitely looking to improve my setup as well.

sawmill
12-07-2018, 03:46 PM
What are you guys hunting and how far are you looking? I hunt the EK deer and elk,never saw the need for a spotting scope or a shooting rest. All my shots are within 250 yards, most half that or less. I got a spotting scope for Christmas a while back, re-gifted it. By the time I got it set up the critter was moving. Pain in the ass.I don`t spot game 2 drainages away so I don`t ever use one.Or a shooting stick(that I also got for Christmas) Pain in the ass packing more stupid things when I`m walking. Anybody wants one let me know. Its gathering dust and it`s free. Too much store bought hunting aids.
Me, 2 sharp knives, a well sighted rifle and a first aid kit.And a clean bag for the heart and liver.
Oh, P.S. I don`t wear camo either. Critters are colour blind. CarHart works just fine and I don`t look stupid camo`d to the nuts if I have to go in a store. You know who you are. Lose the Face paint too, that`s just creepy.

Bugle M In
12-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Sometimes it is nice to know if the bull elk you spot 800 yards away is actually legal.
Heck, now it's at the point there are only 5 pts walking around and sometimes you have to consider that
"little knob" is a legal 6th point, lol.

Hunting high alpine, it is definitely handy looking for sheep, and I can see the benefits of looking for MD with them as well.
Never carry one when I hunt in November for MD, that's for sure.
But, I like my camo so to each their own.

whitlers
12-07-2018, 07:18 PM
What are you guys hunting and how far are you looking? I hunt the EK deer and elk,never saw the need for a spotting scope or a shooting rest. All my shots are within 250 yards, most half that or less. I got a spotting scope for Christmas a while back, re-gifted it. By the time I got it set up the critter was moving. Pain in the ass.I don`t spot game 2 drainages away so I don`t ever use one.Or a shooting stick(that I also got for Christmas) Pain in the ass packing more stupid things when I`m walking. Anybody wants one let me know. Its gathering dust and it`s free. Too much store bought hunting aids.
Me, 2 sharp knives, a well sighted rifle and a first aid kit.And a clean bag for the heart and liver.
Oh, P.S. I don`t wear camo either. Critters are colour blind. CarHart works just fine and I don`t look stupid camo`d to the nuts if I have to go in a store. You know who you are. Lose the Face paint too, that`s just creepy.

Different strokes for different folks. I use a spotting scope for deer during 4pt season, judging good black bears worth going after and for goats. They have their place. As for cammo I agree but I feel like I look super cool so I wear cammo and even paint my face during bow season. Makes me a badass..:-D

wos
12-07-2018, 08:03 PM

I hunt lots of alpine! Hike in get up top and let my eyes do tge walking! That actually maks it sound easy. Believe me its not. Most deer we spot are between 60yds and 2 kilometers. I want to be able to count 4 points before i start to move. My spotter is one of my most important tools. As far as shooting distance when you run out of trees and rocks to hide in thats about where you get to shoot from.

ElectricDyck
12-07-2018, 09:39 PM
I use.my swaro 65 at 25 power and i see 70 percent of the animals in my hunting group...25 power binos on a tripod would be better....

sawmill
12-07-2018, 10:08 PM
I hunt lots of alpine! Hike in get up top and let my eyes do tge walking! That actually maks it sound easy. Believe me its not. Most deer we spot are between 60yds and 2 kilometers. I want to be able to count 4 points before i start to move. My spotter is one of my most important tools. As far as shooting distance when you run out of trees and rocks to hide in thats about where you get to shoot from.
You got a point there. I kinda quit that climb the mountain thing a few years back. I really like hunting the thicker stuff near the river and creeks.Lots of big whities like that cover.And I gave up on elk 3 years ago.Ain`t that many legal bulls around anymore, specially if you don`t want to bust ass up in the hills to get a look at one. Lot of guys are figuring that out around here this year. From what I`ve heard it`s about 6-8 six point bulls per hundred cows now. 25 bulls per of any size. It should be nearer to 45 to 65. It has drastically changed since I moved here in 1999.

sillyghillie
12-07-2018, 10:38 PM
I love my Vortex Summit ss.

Frank grimes
12-08-2018, 09:00 AM

I don’t really bring my spotter hunting that much. My tripod is mainly for my binos. It’s a real hame changer, and makes glassing much more enjoyable for me, especially bigger cuts and what not.
No camo here either, surplus and thrift store wool and fleece. I look like a homeless guy when I’m in the bush.

SR80
12-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Id buy a good middle road spotter, or if your using it a lot with binos and spotter i would get a good one and be done with it. Or you'll be wasting time and money dicking with a cheap shaky thing.

northof49
12-08-2018, 10:54 AM

It’s not the colour of the camo that matters its the pattern. Regular solid colour clothing is blocky and makes it easier for game to detect your movement...”large blob moving over there” so to speak. Camo helps break up the blob effect. Anything blue is your enemy for deer unless a long ways off or a truck hunter. Camo also helps conceal you from other hunters.....no fun being scoped by asshats plus stealth mode is my thing. Also if you get the right stuff it is nice and quiet and waterproof as well. Agree with you on the face paint. Also never hurts to fly the colours so to speak. Helps get positive ID on all the snowflakes and antis around town. Seldom catch me without a camo hat on.

twoSevenO
12-08-2018, 01:43 PM
I use.my swaro 65 at 25 power and i see 70 percent of the animals in my hunting group...25 power binos on a tripod would be better....

A proper set of 25x binoculars is going to weigh a lot more than a 65mm spotting scope and probably be more expensive too.

Popular in the states. Must have an awesome field of view compared to a spotter.

Kowa makes a good one, called the highlander .... 32x82mm. Cost: $5,000 USD

Bugle M In
12-08-2018, 02:01 PM
It’s not the colour of the camo that matters its the pattern. Regular solid colour clothing is blocky and makes it easier for game to detect your movement...”large blob moving over there” so to speak. Camo helps break up the blob effect. Anything blue is your enemy for deer unless a long ways off or a truck hunter. Camo also helps conceal you from other hunters.....no fun being scoped by asshats plus stealth mode is my thing. Also if you get the right stuff it is nice and quiet and waterproof as well. Agree with you on the face paint. Also never hurts to fly the colours so to speak. Helps get positive ID on all the snowflakes and antis around town. Seldom catch me without a camo hat on.

I have guys walk by me all the time.
Also, of the 18 deer I was watching 150 yards away from me, 8 of them came towards me and bedded not even 15 yards away from me (yes, I had the wind in my favour), and laid there for 40 minutes (while I waited for a larger buck to hopefully show up) until I got some damn so and cold, I finally stood up. I had 3 does that had bedded, facing
straight at me, as if they were keeping their eye on me, yet, when I stood up, they were in utter shock, so the whole time, they had never noticed me and my camo.
I'll stick to camo for a number of reasons, in part due to I am allergic to wool products, the camo I own is Goretex, so
I stay warm and dry all day, and the stuff dries out quick, so no more wet crap first thing in the morning!
(I don't have the luxury of going home each night to dry it out, or a big cozy wall tent with stove, so it needs to dry out quick)

twoSevenO
12-08-2018, 02:13 PM
^ you hike around in gore-tex? I find that stuff makes me soaking wet regardless...... from the inside. Maybe you just dont sweat as much but that stuff isnt very breathable for a person on the move. The sweat generated is just too much for a membrane to keep up with.

I usually only put it on once I'm done with my elevation gain or for the wind.

As for camo ... dont care for it. Dont believe in it. Stalking blacktails at 50 yards they are much more likely to hear me than see me anyways.

northof49
12-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Frequently call elk in to under 15ft and less.....5 times within 5ft and once could have grabbed the front ankle of nice big 5x5 with head right above me. There is a reason the military use camo...it works!!

Anyhow.....back to tripods.

Bugle M In
12-08-2018, 03:25 PM
Back tripods exactly, sorry guys.
There is some good advice on what to get in these posts.
Don't get those cheap 15$ ones, unless you are just planning for quick ID to see if the bugger has enough points.
( I do carry a cheap one cause it is super light)
But for sheep hunting, where you sit there for hours, and slowly moving the pod/scope a fraction at a time, nothing
beats some of the fancier, more expensive pods, and lowers the frustration level big time.
A cheap one will frustrate you within minutes, and sometimes you need hours.

porthunter
12-10-2018, 12:04 AM
Currently have the Manfotto Befree aluminum with video head, think I paid about $250 and it has been pretty good for the price, 2 of my friends have Vortex high country and 1 with a vortex summit and all are planning to switch over.

BUT with that being said, I used a friends outdoorsman tripod with a pistol grip head and WOW, I am definitely saving to make the upgrade. Worth every penny and I only used it for 2 days.

Seth
12-10-2018, 07:01 AM
The Serui comes with a decent ball head but I upgraded to the Outdoorsmens Micro Pan Head and it made a world of difference keeping the Swaro 65mm stable. A heavier tripod would be beneficial if hiking weren’t in the game plan but for sheep hunting or hike ins I’m content with my current set up.

sumonda
12-11-2018, 07:03 AM
Im using a Manfrotto 290 with a Giottos MH1300 ball head - heavy yes!, at 4.5 lbs total I really do wish it was lighter, but its totally rock steady for my Vortex 65 spotter and Im going to order a second QD shoe and Triclawps saddle to mount my rifle. https://triclawps.com/