PDA

View Full Version : Acid found in soil may combat CWD

BRvalley
12-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Came across this article today, sounds promising for CWD

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/acid-found-soil-may-make-disease-killing-deer-less-infectious

An acid found in soil may make a disease killing deer less infectious
The incurable neurodegenerative disease is crippling deer, elk and moose populations

An acid found in rich humus soil breaks down the misfolded brain proteins — called prions — that cause chronic wasting disease.

When concentrations of humic acid similar to those found in soils were applied to diseased elk brain tissue, chemical signatures of the infectious prions were nearly erased (http://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat), researchers report online November 29 in PLOS Pathogens. That suggests that the acid somehow degrades the warped protein, making it less infectious, says Judd Aiken, a prion disease researcher at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada.

Chronic wasting disease, an incurable neurodegenerative disease, has devastated populations of deer, elk and moose across parts of North America, South Korea, Sweden and Norway. We know “that environmental sources of infectivity play a role in transmission of these diseases,” Aiken says. The twisted proteins lurk in the rotting carcasses, feces or saliva of infected animals, and eventually seep into soils. The infection spreads when deer graze in prion-contaminated areas.

Previous studies have shown that soil mineralogy can influence the spread of prions, says Bryan Richards, a wildlife biologist with the U.S. Geological Survey’s National Wildlife Health Center in Madison, Wis., who was not involved in the study. For example, prions easily bind to microscopic minerals such as quartz, kaolinite and montmorillonite, and can — as lab tests have revealed — stay locked in soil for years.
Prions are a malformed version of proteins that cause nearby normal proteins of the same kind to take on this complex shape that is harmful to nerve cells. Infected animals become listless, disoriented and unable to chew their food or drink water for months until death.

Unlike mad cow disease, another fatal prion-related disorder, there is currently no evidence that chronic wasting disease can transfer to humans. Still, little is known about the transmission barrier between species, and scientists aren’t ruling out the possibility. If chronic wasting disease continues to ravage deer and elk populations, more humans may come into contact with the tainted animals through hunting and farming.
But the discovery of how humic acid affects prions may provide a way to track or even prevent the disease from taking hold.

Since levels of humic acid vary in nature, scientists exposed infected elk brain tissue to one, 2.5 and 25 grams per liter of commercially produced humic acid, and let it incubate overnight. In tissue samples with higher concentrations of humic acid, chemical signatures left by the infectious prions decreased by as much as 95 percent, signaling that the prions had likely broken down. The team also tested humic acid extracted from soil samples collected throughout western Canada and noted a similar decrease in prion signatures.

Next, researchers injected some mice with a mixture of humic acid and infected elk brain tissue. Others were given a noninfected mixture. The team then monitored the mice during a roughly yearlong incubation period. Higher doses of humic acid correlated to weaker prion signals in the infected mice. In roughly half the cases, the mice injected with the infected brain tissue and humic acid mixture didn’t show any symptoms at all after a 280-day incubation period.

The results suggest that humic acid could be used in efforts to limit the disease’s spread — possibly as a soil decontaminant to disinfect farmland. Previously, high levels of a mineral called birnessite were also found to degrade prions, therefore limiting transmission of the disease.

Alternatively, scientists could use this information to map which geographic areas elevate or inhibit prion transmission based on the levels of humic acid in the soil, says Shannon Bartelt-Hunt, an environmental engineer at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln who was not involved in the research. The next step, Bartelt-Hunt says, might be to test the effects of humic acid on prion-contaminated soil samples to see if prions can be eradicated in the environment.

Drillbit
12-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Is CWD even a problem anymore?

I was under the impression it was from over population, and we definitely don't have over populations of animals anymore.

Haven't heard of a case in a long time.

BRvalley
12-05-2018, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't say it has ever been a problem in BC, yet, but it is a big problem wherever it establishes itself, it has been found in the wild in Alberta and Saskatchewan, and also on farms, so the risk is still valid to BC with hunters bringing carcasses across the border

I wanted to share this article on the annual bait bashing thread that seems to pop up every December but I see that was locked lol, CWD was a hot topic in that conversation

.264winmag
12-05-2018, 11:17 AM
Still ongoing head submission program in my area of the Okanagan. Hasn't been a case from what I understand. When I first moved here there were a couple fields harbouring well over 100 whitetail that were definitely swapping spot with local cattle. Deer numbers seem to have been thinned out in that particular area, probably for the best. Not to start another fight but the interaction between cattle and wild game seems to have more potential for cwd spread than any average joe throwing a couple pounds of feed out in the bush. I know an alpine area that cattle take over every year, prime mule deer habitat the two
sharimg the same grazing grounds...

saskbooknut
12-05-2018, 11:19 AM
First CWD case in Montana recently. It is just a matter of time until the disease arrives in B.C. unfortunately.

ajr5406
12-05-2018, 12:48 PM

I was under the impression it was from over population, and we definitely don't have over populations of animals anymore.

i spoke with a CO in Alberta when I was hunting there a few weeks ago. He said last year 8% of mule deer tested positive for CWD in the MU we were hunting in (compulsory head submissions for all deer), and this years said they estimate that up to a third of all mature (+4 years) will be positive. I’d say that’s a massive problem.

Bugle M In
12-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Cool, thanks for the article

Ourea
12-05-2018, 01:40 PM
https://prd-wret.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/assets/palladium/production/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/cwd_map_1.jpg

Brez
12-05-2018, 02:41 PM

CWD is a Huge problem. They are monitoring it but it's moving west and it's a matter of time before we get it. It may end the hunting of ungulates as we know it. This is really scary shit!

bownut
12-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Heres Something for Ourea and his baiting friends
BCWF Wildlife Policy:
g) The BCWF agrees that there can be negative consequences with the supplementalfeeding of wildlife such as increased risk of disease transmission, degradation of naturalhabitat in proximity to feeding sites, increased mortality from predation near feeding sites,increased conflicts with humans, and negative consequences to animal health resultingfrom the use of improper feed or sudden changes in feed sources. Therefore, there is aneed for concise provincial policy that includes criteria describing when and how feedingshould occur.

srupp
12-05-2018, 07:55 PM
Hmmm brought mulie deer home from Alberta..no brain tissue allowed, spinal column left in Alberta also..meat was cut vacutainer sealed frozen..marked clearly....
And not for human consumption until notified by Alberta fish and wildlife that sample tested negative

Hmmmmm
Srupp

Ourea
12-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Better shut down all winter feeding programs being done to assist wildlife. Please notify all clubs that actively support such initiatives.

Ourea
12-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Have chatted at length with those in wildlife. I know I am informed. Not an emotional or Google based understanding.

horshur
12-05-2018, 08:21 PM
Better shut down all winter feeding programs being done to assist wildlife. Please notify all clubs that actively support such initiatives.
Yes the dichotomy..everyone must live with one.
Look in the local paper, every winter there is a CO driven rant against winter feeding..for good logical reasons they claim. Property owners can be charged for feeding wildlife. Course the club members have some special anointing where bad thing don’t happen if you pay a fee and be a member..

skibum
12-05-2018, 08:42 PM
That is interesting, I read awhile back that fire doesn't take CWD out of the environment. Good news that they at least have a sniff of a way to control it.

bownut
12-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Have chatted at length with those in wildlife. I know I am informed. Not an emotional or Google based understanding.

Bait piles so you can kill a deer, not the same as trying to save a population from starvation. But carry on making it right.

horshur
12-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Re: urban ungulates and feeding wildlife

Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch Mailing Address: PO Box 9391 Stn Prov Govt Victoria BC V8W 9M8 Phone: (250) 387-9771 (tel:(250) 387-9771) Fax: (250) 387-0239 (tel:(250) 387-0239) Website: www.gov.bc.ca/nro (http://www.gov.bc.ca/nro)
WILDLIFE HEALTH FACT SHEET
Feeding Wild Ungulates – why it isn’t the answer.
Keep wildlife wild – it is BC policy and it makes sense. When humans provide food to wild animals it changes their "wildness", no matter what species is being fed. There are justifiable reasons to feed wild animals, such as to attract them for capture, but these situations are rare. The consequences of feeding a wild animal unnatural types and amounts of feed can range from mildly irritating behaviour to catastrophic health issues, so understanding the reasons behind this policy is important.
The following guidance is specific to ungulates (hoofed mammals) such as deer, elk, or bighorn sheep but the principle of keeping wildlife wild apply to all wild animals.
Background Opportunities to come close to wild ungulates are rare but rewarding, especially when the animals are unaware of the humans. Habituation, or increased animal tolerance for close contact with humans, occurs when animals are fed, and with this comes unplanned consequences. Some of the consequences include:
1. Feed Effects
Wild ungulates have specialized seasonal food requirements, which they fulfill by eating a wide variety of foods from their environment. Well-intentioned people may quite literally be "killing with kindness" when they provide unnatural food items to wild ungulates.
 All ungulates are ruminants with specific bacteria in their digestive tracts, specialized to digest their specific diet. It can take weeks for ungulate digestive systems to adjust to new food items. Rapid changes, especially at critical times such as the fall, can result in death, even with rumens full of (unnatural) food.
 Dry feeds, such as hay, grains or pelleted types, are prepared for domestic livestock and meant to be used with abundant fresh water. Without ready access to water, dry feed can impact in the digestive tract and can kill wild ungulates.
 Grains, pelleted feeds or surplus fruits are high in carbohydrates/protein/energy and even small amounts can cause digestive upsets that lead to diarrhea, bloating and significant damage to ungulate digestive tracts.
2. Population Effects Wild ungulate populations are naturally limited by a number of factors, including the amount and quality of food their habitat supplies. Animals in poor body condition or with high nutritional needs, such as the young may die when natural environmental conditions and appropriate foods are not present in the right amount and quality to sustain them.
Feeding of wild ungulates by humans increases animal density in the short term by concentrating animals around the feed source. Density increases may also occur over time if the feeding results in - 2 -
improved body condition or more frequent reproduction. Increased density results in increased competition for natural resources with other animals that share that range. Other consequences of increased animal density include:
 Increased risk of infectious diseases:
o Disease transmission and outbreaks – animals in close and frequent contact with others transmit organisms more easily than when at lower density. There are many examples across North America where high ungulate density contributes to disease issues, e.g. pneumonia in wild sheep, tuberculosis, brucellosis and chronic wasting disease.
o Higher stress on individual animals. Stress can lead to reduced immune function, making these animals more susceptible to infections.
o In BC, viral papillomas (warts) in deer appear to be increasing in urban areas where deer numbers are unnaturally high.
 Poor body condition – animals may not grow or gain weight due to reduced feed quality or quantity.
 Increased conflicts with humans:
o Increased habituation. Animals that learn to take human supplied feed become habituated, losing their natural wariness of humans. Habituated ungulates can be aggressive towards humans and their pets – especially during the spring when protecting the young fawns or in the fall during the breeding season.
o Increased motor vehicle collisions causing injuries or death of humans and wildlife.
 Increased mortality from wild predators and humans – when animals are concentrated and much easier to find.
 Other major ecological effects from ungulate feeding are documented across North America and include:
o Disruption of normal wild animal movement patterns and spatial distribution
o Alteration of native plant community structure with reduced diversity and abundance
o Introduction and/or expansion of invasive exotic plant species
o General degradation of local habitat

http://www.peachlandsportsmens.ca/
http://bcwf.net/index.php
http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
My Mind to my Work.......
But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/clear.gifReply (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1280267&noquote=1) http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/clear.gifReply With Quote (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1280267) http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/multiquote_40b.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1280267)

01-28-2013, 04:13 PM
#4 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?91658-urban-ungulates-and-feeding-wildlife&p=1280268#post1280268)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=1509&dateline=1456766856 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?1509-Stone-Sheep-Steve)Stone Sheep Steve (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?1509-Stone-Sheep-Steve)
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/statusicon/user-offline.pngKD Eatin Dink Hunter

Join DateMar 2006LocationRegion 8Posts12,639

Re: urban ungulates and feeding wildlife

Alternatives to Feeding ***Better ways to help wild ungulates***
Wild ungulates benefit when we preserve and restore natural habitats and reduce human-caused disturbances, leaving them alone to conserve their energy to survive severe winter conditions.
 The best way to help wild ungulates survive in severe weather is to maintain high-quality habitat year-round. If animals enter the winter in good condition, most survive persistent deep snow and cold temperatures. Even in well-functioning natural ecosystems, however, some animals succumb during winter months. This is natural, winter mortality helps keep ungulates populations in balance with the available habitat.
 Another way to help wild ungulates in winter is to avoid disturbing them. Animals must conserve their energy to survive in winter conditions. Human-related causes of disturbance such as from recreation (e.g. snowmobile activity) and chasing by domestic dogs can result in wild ungulates expending valuable energy.

RobU
12-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Nice work horshur!

.264winmag
12-05-2018, 10:32 PM
Post whatever bs you want, an ice cream pail or armful of why here n there doesn't hurt FA. Those that have done it know. Deer are not stupid, if they're not accustomed to the feed they just don't sit there gorging themselves. Quick nibble and move along. Others that are accustomed to it will pig out a bit more. Almost a decade of watching this go on the deer are just fine, pumping out twins like crazy every spring. Turned 7 deer into 15 full timers plus a pile of bucks that have got the boot by the does. Most will return end of year to put some fat on before winter and disappear again. Deer know where they are safe, they're not stupid. Them bucks are definitely not habituated as they are still alive eluding the swaths of hunters year after year.

Got a buck that came back this fall that was born in 2013, survived a bullet wound in the neck (not me HA) 2014 as a fork horn and the local does nursed him back to health. Now he's a mature 5x5 but has earned a pass with me and continues to survive. Bullets can't kill em and you're worried about a little food supplement? Fak outta here with that bullshit. WT are insanely adaptable.

RobU
12-05-2018, 10:34 PM
You’re cute

BRvalley
12-05-2018, 10:39 PM
So actual question here, how does agriculture play into these fact sheets...When you are baiting with the same grains and alfalfa that are grown locally, thousands of acres of fields that deer and elk congregate on year round....do winter elk leh holders that focus on private fields also qualify as baiting? Perhaps the biggest baited hunt in BC....

5th season learning my little honey hole and haven’t seen the slight sense of habituation, they catch my scent and they are wheezing and gone with tails up

.264winmag
12-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Nah fields full of the same food supplements are fine, it's the little gallon pails of food killing all these wild ungulates. Fak me ignorant...

Bugle M In
12-05-2018, 11:04 PM
Amazing!

Someone post a "Positive" in possibly combating CWD, but for some reason, it turns into another finger pointing thread
with hunters dumping on other hunters.
Who needs Anti's!?

Reminds me of my last workplace.
Boss knew very little about the ins and out of the actual manufacturing.
So, he designates one of the "shareholders" to be shop foreman.
Thing is, foreman was only concerned about the money he saved and his cut of the profit sharing at year end.
When one of the employees had a complaint/problem, he did nothing to help correct issues.
So, in the end, no one could send complaints to problems "upwards" cause no one was listening.
So, the workers just "bitched sideways" to other workers, none of whom could do anything about it, obviously!
In the end, just made for a "toxic workplace", and the beginning of the end for the Company.
A slow death.

Again, absolutely amazing to watch it happen here.
If CWD is coming here, nothing will stop it.
Now, if this Acid helps, then that can, not pointing fingers.

.264winmag
12-05-2018, 11:20 PM
Google search Humic Acid, guess what it's good for!

https://www.advancednutrients.com/articles/humic-fulvic-acid-for-plants/

Fields of the legal lettuce and we are styling! But a bunch of stoned WT would be considered unfair chase to some ;)

Bugle M In
12-06-2018, 01:09 AM
I run into more hidden grow ops then I ever have baiting stations!

Ourea
12-06-2018, 10:06 AM
I see the ongoing trend of hunters attacking hunters continues, this time over a legal means.
Hunters are arguably one of the most disfunctional users groups I have ever seen.
Others unite, we finger point and undermine.

Back to the OP's article....
Thanks for the read.

.264winmag
12-06-2018, 11:03 AM
So actual question here, how does agriculture play into these fact sheets...When you are baiting with the same grains and alfalfa that are grown locally, thousands of acres of fields that deer and elk congregate on year round....do winter elk leh holders that focus on private fields also qualify as baiting? Perhaps the biggest baited hunt in BC....

5th season learning my little honey hole and haven’t seen the slight sense of habituation, they catch my scent and they are wheezing and gone with tails up

Been there. Game coming out night after night until they smell you waiting for em. After that they enter from different spot a little later and a little less shooting time. This happens enough they go nocturnal or vacate. Food source is not necessarily a death certificate for game.

.264winmag
12-06-2018, 11:14 AM
I see the ongoing trend of hunters attacking hunters continues, this time over a legal means.
Hunters are arguably one of the most disfunctional users groups I have ever seen.
Others unite, we finger point and undermine.

Back to the OP's article....
Thanks for the read.

Wife was down at the local corner store a during the last week of rifle. Was a fellow in there talking about his morning of side x side hunting and how he was so disgusted when stumbling upon a pile of grain someone had likely put out in the woods. Said he ran it over and can't believe someone would do such a thing. Wife politely notified everyone in the store it is perfectly legal and the hunter left in a huff. At least all involved were educated on the proper laws. Sad it has to come from a non-hunting housewife. Piss your opinion in my cornflakes, can bet I'll dump the bowl. I don't feel I'm attacking anyone by doing so, but if so I also feel no need to apologize.

Ourea
12-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Yet this is ok........

http://www.pinedaleonline.com/news/2006/01/scr-elkcattle1wgfd.jpg

And this is being touted as a greater risk by some.
I know where I would focus my sky is falling concerns on the CWD

https://i.imgur.com/Nkl90bK.jpg

Wild one
12-06-2018, 04:48 PM
At this time I am not for or against baiting in BC because at this present time CWD or any other sickness for that matter is not an issue. Ethics wise could careless because personally don’t see it as a tactic that makes a real difference. Don’t use bait but know those who do regularly and only advantage I have seen is the deer stop for clearer trail cam pics. I don’t use bait because I have not seen results good enough to make it worth the extra effort

As for the excuse baiting does not increase the risk of CWD transfer not buying it either. No expert on the subject and have put little effort into becoming one. Now if my memory is correct the reason food plots are legal in some states and baiting is not is because baiting causes deer to feed in a very small area increasing the odds of passing CWD. Where food plots are large enough to not cause the same concentration of deer into a small area. Like I said no expert but I do know there is at least theories on why baiting increases the odds of CWD spreading

For those against baiting CWD is not going to reach BCs border for some time so at this time baiting is only any ethnics debate

For those defending baiting if CWD reaches BC might be wise to rethink the practice because even if there is other factors that causes deer to concentrate into areas is it worth increasing the odds of spreading CWD just so you can bait?

Either way you boys enjoy your fight because right now baiting is far from one of the big issues in BC and unless hunters wake up CWD won’t be an issue when it reaches BC because there won’t be enough ungulates for it to spread. Baiting won’t be much of an issue as hunting opportunity dwindles

.264winmag
12-06-2018, 05:15 PM
At this time I am not for or against baiting in BC because at this present time CWD or any other sickness for that matter is not an issue. Ethics wise could careless because personally don’t see it as a tactic that makes a real difference. Don’t use bait but know those who do regularly and only advantage I have seen is the deer stop for clearer trail cam pics. I don’t use bait because I have not seen results good enough to make it worth the extra effort

As for the excuse baiting does not increase the risk of CWD transfer not buying it either. No expert on the subject and have put little effort into becoming one. Now if my memory is correct the reason food plots are legal in some states and baiting is not is because baiting causes deer to feed in a very small area increasing the odds of passing CWD. Where food plots are large enough to not cause the same concentration of deer into a small area. Like I said no expert but I do know there is at least theories on why baiting increases the odds of CWD spreading

For those against baiting CWD is not going to reach BCs border for some time so at this time baiting is only any ethnics debate

For those defending baiting if CWD reaches BC might be wise to rethink the practice because even if there is other factors that causes deer to concentrate into areas is it worth increasing the odds of spreading CWD just so you can bait?

Either way you boys enjoy your fight because right now baiting is far from one of the big issues in BC and unless hunters wake up CWD won’t be an issue when it reaches BC because there won’t be enough ungulates for it to spread. Baiting won’t be much of an issue as hunting opportunity dwindles

Bang on. Agree on all points. Regardless if cwd shows up bait could be banned tomorrow and I couldn't care less. It would make perfect sense to ban if cwd showed up, why take the chance period. Punched one dec. archery wt tag on a dink two point that came into bait perfectly broadside, out of 8 seasons baiting. Good for does and immature bucks, not a significant advantage for tagging mature bucks that I have seen.

skibum
12-07-2018, 11:12 AM

No, that is totally not fair - you can not use this to get away from discussing something.

No one is attacking you for baiting - it is obvious that you really enjoy hunting this way, and I have hunted over bait also. It is a discussion about if baiting may cause more problems with CWD.

If you can not discuss something without attacking someone for doing something legal then yes, delete the post.

But that doesn't mean you can not discuss something that is legal.

Bugle M In
12-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Your right, nothing wrong on discussing CWD and baiting etc.
But when someone finger points at one individual, and posting their name, as a point of reference, it is
understandable that one would take offence to that.
I know I would.
Ourea isn't the only one who uses this technique and cams etc.
The irony was, and I saw it coming, is that the OP belongs to a game club who also has winter feeding programs,
at least that is what I recall from a past thread.
So, what is different about either?
If it had been a "generalized" statement, then I think it is a fair game discussion.
As soon as somebody finger points to one individual, especially when it is "legal" is just asking for trouble.
Maybe even "looking for trouble"??

My only concern is that it seems some hunters want to blame other hunters for the issues that we are facing in the
province, and that somehow the lack of game etc is do to some form of overhunting.
I might have concerns with the FN, but I certainly don't blame them for all the problems.
Same goes for wolves and other Preds, they are not the only problem as well.

Just confused why some members think "we are the problem"??
Again, if those members think we are the problem, then they should sell of their equipment and join Raincoast.

Ourea
12-07-2018, 12:51 PM
Go nowhere thread.

wideopenthrottle
12-07-2018, 01:11 PM
http://soil-biotics.com/files/7373-soilbiotics-humicacid.pdf

some info on humic and fulvic acids

skibum
12-07-2018, 02:56 PM
http://soil-biotics.com/files/7373-soilbiotics-humicacid.pdf

some info on humic and fulvic acids

Thanks -

Think it would be cool if there was a sub-forum where dudes could just post relevant wildlife research papers, central place you could grab something interesting to read.

BRvalley
12-07-2018, 04:09 PM
https://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1007414

RobU
12-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Thanks -

Think it would be cool if there was a sub-forum where dudes could just post relevant wildlife research papers, central place you could grab something interesting to read.

This has been an excellent thread. Lots of information to keep us thinking. Undoubtably some threads will lead to a debate. I enjoy a good debate as it informs all of us of ideas on both sides we may not know. People are very quick to cry “ hunters bashing hunters” as they don’t like what they read and that seems to get a thread locked up. Well as a resident hunter we have the right and obligation to question rules, regulations, ethics and management / harvest methods. Get involved ask the hard questions even if we don’t like the answers. Hopefully some good can come out af a strong debate. BC is headed for or in crisis, it’s not gonna be rainbows and unicorns. Let’s face issues like cwd, baiting etc like we care for the best interest of B.C. not just ourselves.
OP. Excellent thread.

BRvalley
12-07-2018, 04:40 PM
What are peoples thoughts on baiting vs agriculture, grazing leases?...which presents a bigger threat to CWD introduction to BC? how was CWD first imported to farms in SK? and subsequently how is it spreading from there

I think there are 2 main points of contention with baiting, fair chase and disease/wildlife health....I think we can side step the fair chase element, or else we can open a whole other can of worms (quad restrictions, hunting with dogs, etc)...

of the small percentage of hunters that choose to bait, how does that stack up against the risks of agriculture? Ourea's photo is a great example...drive through the South Peace region any time of year, but especially during the winter for more examples....what is really going to cause a tangible impact here

I draw similarities between the baiting debate and the gun debate...the problems of the US do not necessarily apply to Canada...baiting is in the minority, so lets ban it because it could be bad...let's see how the logic applies to guns on this forum

RobU
12-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Hard to compare apples to oranges like that.
As far as I’ve read about agriculture and cwd is anywhere the animals are concentrated obviously the more likely it will spread
as baiting goes (not feeding programs to save winter weary animals) it seems to possibly be a regional problem. I live in the okanagan. And yes there are a great deal of bait sites for hunting. However the amount of baiting could vary from region to region. Is it a very effictive tool for harvest?....yes. Does it lead to moral and ethical debate?....yes. Will it help spread cwd?...likely yes. I would like to see reasons many states, Alberta and Manitoba have banned baiting. Were those decisions made with cwd as main concern or many reasons.

.264winmag
12-07-2018, 05:14 PM
The only baiting or licks I've ever found out hunting are from free range cattlemen. Salt licks throughout the summer and fall in areas the cattle like to hang out. And countless piles of alfalfa n hay littered down the fsr trying to herd them down to round em up in the fall. Always a pile of wild game tracks around these spots, especially the salt blocks. That's more potential interaction with wild game in one season of grazing than a decade of my personal hunting with bait n salt, maybe even more. So ethics aside, I know who I would be putting the pressure on to curtail such activity in the wild.

I don't know the details of cwd in other provinces but would be interesting to hear the story?

BRvalley
12-07-2018, 05:25 PM
baiting must be much more popular in other regions I guess, I don't see it where i hunt....in 5 years only come across 2 other short term sites that weren't mine

but if baiting is such a serious risk, perhaps it would be better to let some winter weary animals die, rather than risk spreading disease around? which is the lesser evil for the long term health?

CWD was introducted to Canada by importing infected elk to SK farms and then spread to the wild in late 90's/early 2000's

certainly regulations should change once CWD is found, we are seeing that in other jurisdictions now....but right now we are discussing hypothetical what if's...it will be hunters bringing an infected carcass across the border, or agriculture industry that brings CWD to BC...IMO that's where today's prevention and discussing should be focused

.264winmag
12-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Many different baiting laws in the states, cwd seems to be the biggest concern for banning bait and salt for use of hunting. Other states flip flop back n forth, some ban bait but not salt...

https://www.lucky-buck.com/blogs/state-baiting-regulations

RobU
12-07-2018, 05:44 PM
I guess since there is no walk protecting BC. It’s quite possible cwd here already but hasn’t been discovered?

.264winmag
12-07-2018, 05:52 PM
I guess since there is no walk protecting BC. It’s quite possible cwd here already but hasn’t been discovered?

No walk?

Asteroids could hit me too I guess, anything is possible but the current head recovery program shows negative as far as I know.

Wild one
12-07-2018, 06:20 PM

Closest CWD is Alberta and I don’t believe there is even any documented case in central Alberta yet. Alberta has being doing a good job of keeping track of the spread of CWD so Odds are B.C. is still well outside the infected area.

With the time frame it has taken to spread in Alberta and the Rockies as a natural barrier in my opinion CWD is going to take a long time to reach BC. This does not mean the threat of CWD should be ignored but instead we have time to be prepared/educate ourselves before it reaches BC