PDA

View Full Version : Baiting wildlife Issue

bownut
12-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Why is it if so many States and Provinces are changing the way they think about Baiting Ungulates, BC hasn't joined in on the trend. We still allow hunters
to throw what ever they want out there and in any amount and call it hunting. With CWD knocking at the door and Predation on a all time high, all you bait dumping hunters should give your head a shake.
You go out and dump feed all over the mountains without even knowing if the enzymes in the gut will even allow them to digest it. You walk away from you bait station at the end of the year without
any regards to how you may have concentrated wildlife in a area during critical periods. I'm no Bio, but judging by the trends everywhere else, it's time for a change.
These new restrictions are based on funded science and not emotional decisions so why are guys thinking they have the right to make the rules. Time for change people, before more damage is done.

Darksith
12-03-2018, 06:52 PM
you don't know what you speak of...

What states and provinces are banning baiting?

First off, guess what. I put a bit of corn out, the deer stepped in it. They didn't recongnize it as a food source. I put out a bail of hay, they ate it up. No different than what they were eating at the time as it was right beside a farm. So is doing a food plot baiting? Is there a reason why there are more animals in a lot of states on private land then around here? Have you ever tried to bait an animal? Is a salt lick baiting? Time for change is right, I'd like to hear you back up your rant with facts and educate a few of us. I really don't think ungulate baiting is rampant in BC...give it a try, see how it goes for you haha.

7 year member, 369 posts, how many of them are trolling missions like this one?

Wentrot
12-03-2018, 06:59 PM
No, you definitely are not a Bio.

scoutlt1
12-03-2018, 06:59 PM
With all due respect, I don't quite understand your post when you say "why are guys thinking they have the right to make the rules".

The "rules", right or wrong, are "made" by the government. If you think they should be changed, you need to address it with them.

I've never even thought of baiting an ungulate, but if you're allowed under the current regs, then so be it (regardless if I agree or not).

wos
12-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Why is it if so many States and Provinces are changing the way they think about Baiting Ungulates, BC hasn't joined in on the trend. We still allow hunters
to throw what ever they want out there and in any amount and call it hunting. With CWD knocking at the door and Predation on a all time high, all you bait dumping hunters should give your head a shake.
You go out and dump feed all over the mountains without even knowing if the enzymes in the gut will even allow them to digest it. You walk away from you bait station at the end of the year without
any regards to how you may have concentrated wildlife in a area during critical periods. I'm no Bio, but judging by the trends everywhere else, it's time for a change.
These new restrictions are based on funded science and not emotional decisions so why are guys thinking they have the right to make the rules. Time for change people, before more damage is done.

I would say that in bc probably 99.99% of hunters do not use bait to hunt. Although a small percentage will use it to troll.

Ron.C
12-03-2018, 07:33 PM

Ok, then instead of opening with a RANT, why not post some links to some of these science based studies so we can have an informed discussion.

Fella
12-03-2018, 07:38 PM
He does bring up a good point about CWD. That’s something that all states and provinces should think long and hard about.

303savage
12-03-2018, 07:39 PM
I guess I bait deer all summer and fall, It's called planting a garden.

12-03-2018, 08:16 PM
I think I'm wanting some Popcorn and a few frosty chilly ones for this thread.
This should be good.
CT:mrgreen:

scoutlt1
12-03-2018, 08:21 PM
I guess I bait deer all summer and fall, It's called planting a garden. Jerk...... :)

bownut
12-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Here's the Some States for you
https://www.lucky-buck.com/blogs/state-baiting-regulations

Oh and Alberta, and Manitoba also.

40incher
12-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Baiting ungulates is disgusting ... and a real hunter would not do that!

Watch Wild TV for a bit and see how disgusting it really is.

There is a reason why we are losing the battle, and baiting is the best example ... it is unethical!! Say no more.

Ourea
12-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Yikes, don't know where to start with this one.

Bownut, I appreciate your heartfelt concerns, albeit unfounded.

First off, CWD is a transmitted disease.
Gotta have it to transmit it.
It does not magically appear from hunting or forestry practices in areas it doesn't exist.

My neighbor has a fruit tree that has deer on it every night, ...... local gardens being hammered every night.
I scratch my head every time I go to the local dump lately (we are doing extensive home renovations), deer are waiting for yard waste being dropped off.

Orchards and wineries in my neighborhood have dozens and dozens and dozens of deer concentrated into these created and cultivated food sources. If there was ever a concern for CWD if it would be here.

Red_Mist
12-03-2018, 08:43 PM
What's the concern with CWD and baiting? Don't think there was a issue in wild populations before they started farming deer and elk. Farming wild ungulates is as helpful to wild animals as farming atlantic salmon is to wild salmon.... its not.

russm
12-03-2018, 08:47 PM
Where are you hunting that you see bait all over the place? The closest thing I’ve ever seen is salt licks for cattle put out by ranchers.

bownut
12-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Just asked the question "Why is BC so far behind" declining populations and new Wildlife Restoration Directors and still the same old way of doing things, Time to get with the program and thats all.
This is where we are heading:

Click on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-jVVvIIYdg

RobU
12-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Where are you hunting that you see bait all over the place? The closest thing I’ve ever seen is salt licks for cattle put out by ranchers.
Check out the okanagan.
Baiting is out of control.

40incher
12-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Baiting is disgusting. Don't take any pride in killing a wild buck in a pile of bait!!

Get out there and really hunt ... don't degrade the hunting tradition.

Let's show some respect for what "hunting" really is.

RobU
12-03-2018, 09:07 PM

It does not magically appear from hunting or forestry practices in areas it doesn't exist.

My neighbor has a fruit tree that has deer on it every night, ...... local gardens being hammered every night.
I scratch my head every time I go to the local dump lately (we are doing extensive home renovations), deer are waiting for yard waste being dropped off.

Orchards and wineries in my neighborhood have dozens and dozens and dozens of deer concentrated into these created and cultivated food sources. If there was ever a concern for CWD if it would be here.
Proven fact: baiting attracts prey. Prey attract predators

Ourea
12-03-2018, 09:14 PM

12-03-2018, 09:17 PM
While some call baiting primarily for WTail unethical..... In the mean time ....all over the Province thousands of hunters sit in wait, work fence lines, hunt transition areas from the largest bait piles in the Province. Be it Christain Valley hay, Osoyoos to Greenwood orchards to Peace country Wheat to Pempertons spuds.... Above ranches, farms, gardens. While hiding high in trees or god forbid a ground camo blind. But thats ethical.

What ever. Again another thread of hunters attacking others hunters. Great just what we need.

As said CWD orriginated from Ungulate huge farms for Elk and Deer.

Keta1969
12-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Doesn't matter where it originated CWD is out there in wild populations now and once there is for all practical purposes impossible to eradicate. My understanding is its in Alberta and to the south of us and spread in saliva. Lots in the news about it in Quebec and wildlife managers and hunters are very concerned. I don't see it as hunter against hunter but a conversation about staying ahead of CWD. I also agree that bait because it draws ungulates will also draw preds. Both want an easy meal.

303carbine
12-03-2018, 09:31 PM
I don't set out bait for any game, never have, never will.
Where it is legal, then have at it.
The last thing we need is hunters attacking other hunters legal methods.

Ourea
12-03-2018, 09:32 PM
Baiting is disgusting. Don't take any pride in killing a wild buck in a pile of bait!!

Get out there and really hunt ... don't degrade the hunting tradition.

Let's show some respect for what "hunting" really is.

Then never shoot a deer in Alberta off an agricultural field...
In the Christian valley on private land.
On the Island in farmland.
Shut down the mid western US where most B and C WT are killed then.
They are hunting over a massive food source.

Never hunt a prime cut block

russm86
12-03-2018, 09:40 PM
As others have said there is just as much, if not more risk due to abundance, of deer transmitting this when feeding in gardens and orchards and hayfields and Alf Alfa fields and what not. A couple thousand salt licks or bait piles is a drop of rain in the ocean compared to the millions of acres of gardens, orchards, and crops. I have seen an entire herd of elk or deer eating off a single bail of hay. What you gonna do about all the other places deer like to group up? Ban all gardens and crops? 20’ high fences around everything? Who is gonna pay for all that? Give your head a shake. Maybe we’d be better off putting time, money, and effort into researching a vaccine or something to eradicate it.

Ourea
12-03-2018, 09:42 PM
I have killed some giants in my day in some of the shittiest back country holes over the years.
Years of cutting trail, hours and hours of hiking and glassing.

I have won more than I have lost.

WT... different story.
I am pretty good at what I do and these *******s school me.
Unethical ....
Pack in numerous 70lb bails of hay on ur back.
Apples and oats that cost $$$

Sit on that for days and never see a deer

Listen to those that say .....oh my how unethical ....nonesense

mpotzold
12-03-2018, 09:44 PM
I don't set out bait for any game, never have, never will.
Where it is legal, then have at it.

Fully agree!

It's only a matter of time before John with Andy's support enacts the FAIR CHASE ACT making baiting & road hunting illegal.
You ain't seen nothing yet if the PR is approved re: hunting changes & gun restrictions!

tigrr
12-03-2018, 09:49 PM
In 58 years I only know of 1 person baiting wildlife to shoot it. That was a bear in northern Alberta.

skibum
12-03-2018, 09:51 PM
Against baiting deer now because of the movement of CWD into the west. It will be make it here, just a matter of time.

CWD has become a major problem in the eastern states - they have put the money into researching it, and are starting to ban baiting because of it.

Putting some time into researching it, I think would change most people minds that it is not worth it.

I did bait deer in the past, but don't feel the cost/benefit is positive anymore. But I am not a trophy WT hunter :roll:, so take it with a grain of salt

skibum
12-03-2018, 09:54 PM

Too many guys use this to shut down conversation, you can discuss it, without attacking someone or feeling you are being attacked.

40incher
12-03-2018, 09:55 PM
Good to see the apologists trying to confuse the issue raised. Baiting is unethical and should be banned inb BC. End of story.

Keep it up boys ... and we will know who the real hunters are.

Hunting is not about killing animals coming to bait! Not much more than can be said ... but I'm sure more confusion can be spewed.

Killing animals over bait is disgusting!

Ourea
12-03-2018, 09:59 PM
We better limit the cattle industry as well then, all those deer eating off the hay fields and bails all winter are going to spread CWD that doesnt exist in our area.

Someone offer a logical input.

Ourea
12-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Re: Baiting wildlife Issue
Good to see the apologists trying to confuse the issue raised. Baiting is unethical and should be banned inb BC. End of story.

Hunting is not about killing animals coming to bait! Not much more than can be said ... but I'm sure more confusion can be spewed.

Bests shut all that down as well

mpotzold
12-03-2018, 10:09 PM

If you feel so strongly about baiting then make an issue out of it with authorities.
Personally I would vote against baiting but if it's legal so be it!

albravo2
12-03-2018, 10:11 PM
I would say that in bc probably 99.99% of hunters do not use bait to hunt. Although a small percentage will use it to troll.

Lol, what he said!

bownut
12-03-2018, 10:15 PM
We have a Bingo....
Orchards and Farms are for growing food not to attract ungulates to be shot. Sitting on a natural food plot that isn't like driving up with a load of hay.

There are no rules in BC , NONE!
Feed them what you want, and when you want, all in the name of hunting.
People need to ask themselves is feeding wildlife for the purpose of killing them really needed?
Taking the chance on screwing up a small population in your area so you can take home some meat isn't worth the trade off.
I am aware of how CWD is spread, this is why we need to be aware. Food plots are out there and effect the natural movements
of wildlife concentrating them in pockets. Pockets that promote predation and sickness theres no debating that.

Montana Fish and Wildlife Report States:
Feeding Deer- long known to be detrimental to wildlife and to the public- is also prohibited by law in Montana. In Montana
it is illegal to attract Deer, Elk, Moose, Antelope, Bears and other Wildlife to an area with any kind of food.

The list goes on:

Ourea
12-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Hunting northern country and early season alpine is a license to kill if you are fit and know ur area.
Endless sight lines.
Valley after valley that one can easily dissect.
Long distant shot opportunities.
If u r fit and mentally tough .....success is had.

Hunt areas where you can't see 15 ft, apply all your hunting experience from the northern purity of previous hunts..... and you strike out day after day hunting in a highly restricted sight environment.

quadrakid
12-03-2018, 10:22 PM
I am beginning to think there are more anti hunters on this site than hunters.

bownut
12-03-2018, 10:24 PM
More Reasons to make a change:

50 States Baiting Rules:
https://outdoorever.com/deer-baiting-laws/

Ourea
12-03-2018, 10:26 PM
We have a Bingo....
Orchards and Farms are for growing food not to attract ungulates to be shot. Sitting on a natural food plot that isn't like driving up with a load of hay.

There are no rules in BC , NONE!
Feed them what you want, and when you want, all in the name of hunting.
People need to ask themselves is feeding wildlife for the purpose of killing them really needed?
Taking the chance on screwing up a small population in your area so you can take home some meat isn't worth the trade off.
I am aware of how CWD is spread, this is why we need to be aware. Food plots are out there and effect the natural movements
of wildlife concentrating them in pockets. Pockets that promote predation and sickness theres no debating that.

Montana Fish and Wildlife Report States:
Feeding Deer- long known to be detrimental to wildlife and to the public- is also prohibited by law in Montana. In Montana
it is illegal to attract Deer, Elk, Moose, Antelope, Bears and other Wildlife to an area with any kind of food.

The list goes on:

Stop every homesteader and rancher from growing grain or a food source of any kind would be the logical solution then.
That bail of hay in a ten sguare kilometer area that was packed in offsets all of that agriculture for CWD concens.

bownut
12-03-2018, 10:27 PM
If you feel so strongly about baiting then make an issue out of it with authorities.
Personally I would vote against baiting but if it's legal so be it!

It's in the books for the future, you can bet on it.

skibum
12-03-2018, 10:31 PM
Hunting northern country and early season alpine is a license to kill if you are fit and know ur area.
Endless sight lines.
Valley after valley that one can easily dissect.
Long distant shot opportunities.
If u r fit and mentally tough .....success is had.

Hunt areas where you can't see 15 ft, apply all your hunting experience from the northern purity of previous hunts..... and you strike out day after day hunting in a highly restricted sight environment.

If you ignore someone trying to bait you here, I would think the issue is CWD transmission and that you might start seeing disease transmission like un-natural penned deer farms.

RobU
12-03-2018, 10:33 PM
While some call baiting primarily for WTail unethical..... In the mean time ....all over the Province thousands of hunters sit in wait, work fence lines, hunt transition areas from the largest bait piles in the Province. Be it Christain Valley hay, Osoyoos to Greenwood orchards to Peace country Wheat to Pempertons spuds.... Above ranches, farms, gardens. While hiding high in trees or god forbid a ground camo blind. But thats ethical.

What ever. Again another thread of hunters attacking others hunters. Great just what we need.

As said CWD orriginated from Ungulate huge farms for Elk and Deer.

Get this guy a hurt feelings report.
No attacking. Just a good debate. If u can’t take it, watch Sesame Street.

HarryToolips
12-03-2018, 10:34 PM

Exactly...or hunting during the rut for bucks over a bait pile of does? It all could be considered baiting...many of us on here know bownut wants nothing but more restrictions....

12-03-2018, 10:38 PM

Beauty...... Love this Shat.......popcorns a poppin. Lol

338win mag
12-03-2018, 10:38 PM
bownut is himself..... baiting,,,,, kept me reading for awhile lol

Ourea
12-03-2018, 10:39 PM
If you ignore someone trying to bait you here, I would think the issue is CWD transmission and that you might start seeing disease transmission like un-natural penned deer farms.

Please research.
It's a transmitted disease.

It doesn't just show up in areas from over a thousand miles away overnight.
Wildlife officials are monitoring this at the highest level.

Red_Mist
12-03-2018, 10:42 PM
It's in the books for the future, you can bet on it.

Maybe set up a meeting with Weaver/Horgan and raincoast while your at it. They thought the grizzly hunt was unethical and banned it. If baiting causes CWD transmission why haven't all the piggies died in the southern states?

Dash
12-03-2018, 10:43 PM

Really? It seems you just simply can't handle the truth of his post. Everything he said hits the nail on the head. And yes, there are multiple threads on here time and time again of hunters attacking other hunters which is incredibly discouraging whether it be to newer members or long time members. Bownut may have started this with a non-attacking post that started a reasonable debate but that seems to beyond the capabilities of some other members on here who insist on attacking others for utilizing legal hunting methods. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. If you have an issue with it grow a pair, get off the internet, do something useful with your time and take it up with the government.

Ourea
12-03-2018, 10:47 PM
This is a go nowhere nonsense conversation.

Gateholio
12-03-2018, 10:51 PM
6. There is to be no frowning upon a member for the method of hunting used, or the sex, age of the animal. If it's legal then it's legal no if, and, or, but!