PDA

View Full Version : LiteOutdoors Plateau 5 Man

RJHunter
12-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Does anyone have experience using the LiteOutdoors Plateau 5 Man tipi tent? I am thinking about picking one up this year for a 3 person setup but haven't seen any reviews. The price and weight look great but I am just wondering about durability? Under $800 CAD and looks to come in at around 7.5 lbs with a stove. I really like the idea of supporting a local Canadian business.

Thanks

okas
12-01-2018, 10:11 PM
the nylon scares me I want to trade my 14x16 tent for a Esker 9x9 ha ha kind of like taking VISA

SR80
12-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Not sure if many reviews will be out yet on these since he just released them and are pretty new. You better be the guinea pig!

RJHunter
12-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Ah, I didn't realize it was new. Thought I just overlooked them. Think I will give it a try. Thanks

RiverBear
12-02-2018, 05:05 PM
they just put up a video on it from there hunting trip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CglXY3d0v1o&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1jcEWLglnyeUCjA2oiZrxYm0OfiwV3wdctfD8VQ hPNmCpGJDu373-SBXI

RJHunter
12-02-2018, 06:36 PM
Cool, looks like a nice setup. Thanks for the info.

grantk
02-18-2019, 09:12 AM
Has anyone tried one of these tents yet? Trying to decide between this and a Seek Outside Cimmaron.

jac
02-18-2019, 03:08 PM
We just bought 3 tents from Luxe hiking gear. Haven’t tested but they have good reviews.

358mag
02-18-2019, 04:04 PM
Condensation ! unless that TiPi tent has a real good inner liner you will get lots of condensation in colder- winter type weather .

huntfish
02-20-2019, 03:44 PM
My liteoutdoors 5 man tent just showed up, now waiting for spring to set it up, still waiting

grantk
02-23-2019, 12:42 AM
My liteoutdoors 5 man tent just showed up, now waiting for spring to set it up, still waiting

Whats your first impressions on overall quality? I can’t figure out how seek outside can make their red cliff tent larger, with two doors, and 30d nylon instead of 20d, yet it only weighs 1 oz more than the Plateau. Pricing on the plateau is good compared to SO.

huntfish
02-25-2019, 08:05 AM
Whats your first impressions on overall quality? I can’t figure out how seek outside can make their red cliff tent larger, with two doors, and 30d nylon instead of 20d, yet it only weighs 1 oz more than the Plateau. Pricing on the plateau is good compared to SO.

Sill to cold around here right now, will set up the tent when temps warm up, but did a lot of investigation when looking and thats why I went with the Liteoutdoors tent with there titanium stove, price versa cost and company communication, Brenden is great to do business with.

jaybe14
03-31-2019, 12:52 PM
Sill to cold around here right now, will set up the tent when temps warm up, but did a lot of investigation when looking and thats why I went with the Liteoutdoors tent with there titanium stove, price versa cost and company communication, Brenden is great to do business with.

Hi huntfish
I will be looking out for your review as well as I am between this and the SO as well. It looks roomier than the cimmaron but smaller than the redcliff.
I am real interested in the stove as well I am leaning towards that even if I a SO tent.
The one thing is if the tent is newer, I am thinking its a little less fine tuned than the SO which have lots of experience with tents but still very interested in what your opinion is once its set up!

grantk
03-31-2019, 07:53 PM
I ordered the cimarron, so it’s not quite as heavy if it’s just me packing in for a trip. I will be ordering the lite outdoors stove for late season hunts though.

I’ve got a a Lite Outdoors 8x10 tarp that is light and small for when the weather is good. Its about 1 lb for the tarp, stakes, guylines, and line locks.

oddsix
04-25-2019, 05:24 AM
Lite Outdoors or Seek Outside? Any more input on either the Plateua or the Cimarron?

Thanks

sako79
04-25-2019, 07:27 AM
Has anyone tried one of these tents yet? Trying to decide between this and a Seek Outside Cimmaron.

My buddy was in the same dilemma but he chose the seek outside Cimarron tent. He just got it 4 days ago so he has no review on it yet but he thinks it's pretty good material. But he did by the light outdoors wood stove which actually came on the same day

bchunter89
05-07-2019, 02:41 PM
Have you tried this out yet?How does it look?

huntfish
05-16-2019, 04:01 PM
I just set my lite outdoors tent up, like all the tie downs all over the tent, still have not set up my lite outdoor titanium stove in it yet, lots of room, more than enough for 2 with packs inside, and at 4.7 pounds, can split up and give my buddy the pole which is 1.6 pound, will be a great add to out kit.

jac
01-04-2020, 02:31 PM
Anymore info on the lite outdoors tent and stove. Did you get some time in then mountains with it?

45freezer
01-07-2020, 09:29 AM
Haven't brought it into the mountains yet, I did pull the trigger on it at the end of this fall though. Like I said haven't had a chance to field test it yet but here are some first impressions I had posted on rokslide.

Very roomy. No I wouldn't squeeze 3 guys plus all their gear in there with the stove but I don't intend to. I often just store me and my son's packs under some tree canopy anyway but this will have plenty of room for the two of us plus gear and a helinox chair. As far as room for a wood pile and to dry gear I feel like there would be plenty even with 3 dudes as long as you're not too insecure in your manhood and don't mind being within a foot or so of another male. There are loops inside for a clothesline and there's a video on youtube where they had 3 guys sleeping in there with some gear and wood plus a big rack they had made to dry out clothes. Packs were outside though obviously, if you're going in with 3 dudes I think one can sack up and carry a sheep tarp or something for the gear if the forecast looks ugly...dry bags work too. I would definitely prefer the extra room with two people as opposed to a cramped shelter stepping over each other and dancing around a hot stove to get out and take a piss.

Stove jack is behind the center pole. Definitely handy for coming and going.

Entrance zipper is in the middle, I think it's a much more convenient layout that the TUT.

Good amount of standing room. Finally I can stand up all the way inside my tent! My shoulders do touch the sides a bit when I do so make sure you put that microfiber towel to use in the morning before you start changing...will be nice to not have to layer up standing like Quasimodo though.

Generous snow/sod skirt. Think it was advertised as 9", goes down past the stake points plenty low enough to seal out drafts/spindrift, can just jack up the center pole if you want to set it up with more ventilation. The vents in the top don't close but they do provide good airflow and keep the tent from smoking up too bad when you're trying to get a draft going at the beginning of your fire, not too worried about water getting in. The door also zips both ways so you can vent it at the top if you need more ventilation. Curious to see how it does with condensation but I had asked about a liner when I bought it and Brennen said they're working on one that should be out this year and will be compatible with old models.

Only real complaint so far is that it is a bit bulky when packed up, that's the penalty paid for extra room though I guess. I probably wouldn't notice that at all if I came from a floored shelter of any sort but I generally just use a small tarp for my son and I so probably any hot tent would seem bulky to me right now. May experiment with putting it in the compression sack with my sleeping bag and see how that works.

Edit: I did run this experiment and was pleased with the results, this is the shelter and my -7° north face bag packed as small if not smaller than the kifaru sawtooth.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/attachments/20200105_160606-jpg.144552/

I plan on putting together a more in depth review after I've spent some more time in it this spring but so far with my limited experience I'm quite happy with it. I also talked to everyone I could that's purchased one and couldn't find anyone that had any complaints, seemed like much less catch and release going on than with other hot tents.

Also, regarding the redcliff. I was curious myself how the specs compare vs the price difference. The redcliffe is not really much bigger if at all, it's 2 ft narrower, 2.5ft longer and a few inches shorter. The advertised weight for the redcliff is also with a carbon pole, the plateau paired with a similar carbon pole would probably actually be 8-10oz lighter. Yes, different fabric types though, we'll see how that pans out, as I mentioned Brennen did confirm they're working on an LO liner and I think he said it should be coming out this year.

albravo2
02-06-2020, 10:55 AM
Bumping this thread as I'm in the same place as several of the other posters.

I've been thinking of a SO Cimarron or Redcliffe, or maybe a Kifaru Sawtooth and ended up on the LiteOutdoors site for their stove. Now wondering how their Tipi shelter is.

Any additional reviews/comments?

JSaw
02-06-2020, 12:05 PM
I bought one this fall and tested it out while looking for Whitetail in mid-November. The temps hit -22 and I was reasonably comfortable. We fit 4 of us in there, yes 4. And stove. But we weren't backpacking so the truck was there to store gear in. It's roomy, well designed zippers and ventilation, very easy and quick to setup. The condensation was a problem, 4 guys in there definitely contributed to that but there was a good layer of ice/water on the inside of the tent the whole time.

I had a few "pops" one night and walked into the guyline in the dark and it completely ripped the seam and loop right out of the tent. I sent a photo to Brennan and he got back to me within 12 hours stating that it was a defect (sewed improperly) and that week I had a new tent at my door, free of charge. Best customer service I've experienced hands down.

A few tips I picked up from that initial test run for the stove and tent are:

1. don't cramp 4 guys into it with stove (probably a no brainer for most but we were keen) although it is roomier than you think as we made it work with minimal cuddling
2. sleep further away or stow gear away from the sides of the tent to reduce build up of condensation and avoid lifting the snow skirt
3. as for the stove, empty the ashes EVERY day. It fills up deceivingly fast and then severely limits burn time/amount of wood you can put in. It's titanium and light and thin.... you'll be waking up often in the night if it's cold out.

The quality seems good and the material is hearty, it's exceptionally light (bulky though as someone had mentioned prior), Canadian company with true local-style customer service and one of the most affordable out there.

In 9 days I'll be on a winter goat hunt to truly put it to the test and will update after that.

45freezer
02-07-2020, 12:55 PM
Bumping this thread as I'm in the same place as several of the other posters.

I've been thinking of a SO Cimarron or Redcliffe, or maybe a Kifaru Sawtooth and ended up on the LiteOutdoors site for their stove. Now wondering how their Tipi shelter is.

Any additional reviews/comments?

Might be a bit late by then but I'll report back some time in April with a full review once I've actually put it to the test a bit...have a nest on route for my son (he's not a fan of ticks for some weird reason) so I may set it up at work to see how things fit when it shows up, if I do I'll take some photos. I feel like I've 100% negated the bulk issue at this point, the way I pack it now I can get my tipi, sleeping bag and pad packed smaller than the sawtooth alone. Not to say the Sawtooth couldn't potentially pack down to a similar size when packed the same way but I honestly withdraw any complaints I had regarding bulk just took a bit of playing around to get a good system going. I'm excited to get this thing out on the mountain!

In 9 days I'll be on a winter goat hunt to truly put it to the test and will update after that.

Let us know how it goes with both the tent and the goats! ;)

45freezer
03-23-2020, 11:10 AM

How did it go?

Finally got a chance to get out, put the shelter to the test and take some photos. Didn't have very extreme conditions to test it in but had some decent winds and low enough temps. Shelter did great in the wind and it was below zero outside but 30+ degrees inside the tent. Shelter is an outright palace for one, plenty of room for me plus my son and our backpacking gear and we could probably squeeze one more dude in with no issues. Condensation was pretty brutal in the morning but no worse than any other floorless shelter I've used and I didn't have very dry ground to set it up on. All in all very pleased with it, it's my first "hot tent" so take my initial impression with that in mind but I would definitely recommend it based on my limited experience so far, hopefully it continues to shine in the long run!

https://i.imgur.com/XBGeHdS.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/wZLTV3C.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/oHAgBab.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/QicFXIG.jpg?1

RJHunter
04-02-2020, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the info, those are some great photos! Looks like a great setup.

Jrax
06-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Interested in this tent but wondering why go with the round titanium over flat top? With flat top, you could double as a back up cooking surface or boil water on to save fuel or do the titanium flat tops like the seek outside ones not work well for cooking/boiling?

Does anyone have experience with condensation and packability with the SO cimmaron and redcliff?

264mag
06-06-2020, 11:16 AM
I have a Cimmarron, I run it with a liner and it’s great. I have it set up with lightweight guyouts and tensioner. Perfect for two guys, set up is super easy and fast. If you don’t run a liner you will need a bivy sack if you don’t want condensation on your bag.

I also run a Kifaru 6man for 3-4 guys.
I have the lite outdoors stove and a wild Wild West stove.
The lite outdoors is sturdy enough to cook on you just put your pot on the rods that hold it together. That stove is very functional and light.

IMO The 3 w stove is the best on the market as indicated by the wait time and the price. The lite outdoors won’t get used much as I prefer the 3w. I am considering selling the LO stove.

Bustercluck
03-13-2021, 09:37 AM
Let’s bump this thread up and see what happens. Any reviews on the 4 man?

swampthing
03-13-2021, 10:34 AM
Interested in this tent but wondering why go with the round titanium over flat top? With flat top, you could double as a back up cooking surface or boil water on to save fuel or do the titanium flat tops like the seek outside ones not work well for cooking/boiling?

Does anyone have experience with condensation and packability with the SO cimmaron and redcliff?

The round top stove is available in Canada and is quite cheap is the only advantage to it. The flat top stoves are certainly more versatile and easier to set up!

Quesnel Kid
05-26-2021, 02:32 PM
Bumping this thread rather then starting a new one. Like many I am interested in these shelters as they are similar to the Seek outside products and made in Canada!!. For the guys that have some experience with them any comments on durability, pros, cons, lessons learned, would you buy another one or go with something different??

Cheers

alberta hunter
06-09-2021, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=Quesnel Kid;2256658]Bumping this thread rather then starting a new one. Like many I am interested in these shelters as they are similar to the Seek outside products and made in Canada!!. For the guys that have some experience with them any comments on durability, pros, cons, lessons learned, would you buy another one or go with something different??

I like mine, use it for back country hunts, also have their titanium stove when setting up in the trees, will buy again if this one goes side ways but still using is every year

alberta hunter
08-06-2021, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=Quesnel Kid;2256658]Bumping this thread rather then starting a new one. Like many I am interested in these shelters as they are similar to the Seek outside products and made in Canada!!. For the guys that have some experience with them any comments on durability, pros, cons, lessons learned, would you buy another one or go with something different??

I like mine, use it for back country hunts, also have their titanium stove when setting up in the trees, will buy again if this one goes side ways but still using is every year

here is a trip I made this last weekend, opps can't load a pic sorry