PDA

View Full Version : How important is first light...?

joshbazz
11-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Looks like I'm not going to be able to hit my hunting spot until after I drop off my child at school, so will not be able to be at my spot until 1 - 1.5 hours after first light. How badly does this affect chances? I was hoping to be able to get to my spot 30 min before light to slowly get set up.

Do chances diminish significantly?

I have a young tree clearing about 100 yards or so from a forest road, lots of deer sign. I'm hoping the WT rut is going to bring in a wandering buck, bought a grunt reed today. I plan on sitting at either a knoll with 360 views and grunt, or I can try a little up the hill along the treeline, sit and grunt. I basically have until 2pm, so 8:45 to 2pm - worth doing?

I don't expect to bag my first buck, but it's the WT rut, there's lots of sign, and I can take the day off within those times - so willing (and rearing) to give it a shot, but how realistic are my chances going so late after sunrise?

I'm thankful for all of the advice I am receiving, and trying to implement as best I can.

Thanks!

caddisguy
11-28-2018, 04:43 PM
In my opinion first light is fairly important, especially if you are missing last light. First light until around 9:30AM or so seems to be the magic hour, but that said, anything can happen at anytime especially if there is rutting activity. You might try a little calling too... perhaps a light rattle or a grunt.

Your odds are infinitely better if you are in the bush vs staying home though, so get out there every chance you get!!

Citori54
11-28-2018, 04:44 PM
First light is definitely prime time and success rate is probably highest, but don't let that stop you going out later in the day. I have shot a lot of deer between 10:00 and noon over the years and if the rut is still on then bucks will be moving at all times of the day. You may not see or take a buck, but if you are not in the woods you have zero chance.

Jordan f.
11-28-2018, 04:46 PM
Out of my last 5 successful hunts...

3 were 10:30am or later.
2 were within an hour of first light.

Does it help? Yup. But the best thing you can do is be out there when you can.

Bugle M In
11-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Seems for me, most MD are taken from about 8:00 til 9:30 am. (also from others with success in the area)
Quite often will also see them at first light.
Have taken them at 3:30pm also.
Odd time just before dark, but rank it the lowest time for me (might be where I am at that point in my hunt?!)

In other words, just hunt, and even if sign is low, just try and remind yourself to stay positive.
Missed a great opportunity at a 30" spread buck after walking slowly all day and not seeing a track, only to get careless and "blow it".
Buck had come up from a steep area, and I ran into him in his first few steps onto that hill.
That's how quick it can change.
That's hunting.
I hunt all day.

twoSevenO
11-28-2018, 05:16 PM
In my experience last light has been waaaaaaaaay more important

joshbazz
11-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Awesome! OK, I'm pumped! Thanks all!

whitlers
11-28-2018, 05:18 PM
I usually have more luck mid day. Like after 10:30

Bugle M In
11-28-2018, 05:21 PM
I think you will find differences from hunter to hunter based on "how you hunt".
Meaning, some guys hike "up".
Some Hike "sideways".
Some Stay "high" and some hang "low", waiting and watching.
Some guys move all day, up and down, right and left.
Some folks just drive and drive.
Thus the differences I suspect in opinion.

paulo
11-28-2018, 05:44 PM
Good point Bugle M In. Over 25yrs of hunting I can count on one hand Muleys taken before 8:00 and none after 4:00.
Joshbazz I just did a 3 day WT hunt and for two days I sat. I had deer moving throughout the day. Unfortunately all out of my sight lines but it was not my set up. Like everyone else says, get out there and work with what you have. They will not come to your front door. My two cents. Good luck

Taurusguy
11-28-2018, 05:46 PM
All my deer this season were taken at 2.30pm ish... we got 3 this season... including my 14yo gettin his first one ever... and putting my daughters boyfriend on his first ever also.... good times. But we would comment to eachother on way back into town how it seemed everyone was having lunch when we shot our deer.... I never stop hunting to go back to camp for lunch... my time is limited so I live on trail mix all day til I'm outa light to hunt. Never... ever do I go sit in camp for lunch.

Kopper
11-28-2018, 05:49 PM
I know you say you only have until 2 but the vast majority of the wt movement I’ve been seeing is mid morning or last night. I’m actually just sitting in a field atm. A buck came in hard and chased the couple does into the timber. Just before he made it gave a quick grunt. He closed about 260/300 yards and fast to come challenge the grunt. They’re still going good. Can’t kill em on the couch.

skibum
11-28-2018, 05:55 PM
Seems for me, most MD are taken from about 8:00 til 9:30 am.

Same here, sometimes I kick myself for not being in place early enough, but this period is when I see the most MD moving.

sawmill
11-28-2018, 05:56 PM
First light for me. 90% of my good whitie bucks were taken at that zone between dark grey and sunup. Now they are staying out longer for the rut, I`v seen more bucks in the last 5 days than all season. But they timber up by 9 A.M. (M) here. At least in my little spot.

joshbazz
11-28-2018, 06:13 PM
Good point Bugle M In. Over 25yrs of hunting I can count on one hand Muleys taken before 8:00 and none after 4:00.
Joshbazz I just did a 3 day WT hunt and for two days I sat. I had deer moving throughout the day. Unfortunately all out of my sight lines but it was not my set up. Like everyone else says, get out there and work with what you have. They will not come to your front door. My two cents. Good luck
Thank you, have 100 - 300 yard sight lines from either a small elevated knoll, or a treelined mild hill/ridge. Lots of area besides the little cut block I found, wish I had more time off!

quadrakid
11-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Stay positive,i think you WILL get a buck so be ready .I mostly hunt blacktails during the rut and have taken most deer between 10.00 and 1.00

LuckyIfYouGetOne
11-28-2018, 06:25 PM
don’t sweat not being there at first light because now you can slowly still hunt to your spot and you will be able to see...I have shot a lot of deer creeping into my spot when I can see, and I have jumped/spooked a lot of deer trying to get to my spot in the dark because I couldn’t see anything..and now that the rut is on I’d be sitting all day because they’ll be chasing tail.

.264winmag
11-28-2018, 06:31 PM
This time of year I see many bucks from 09:00-14:00. I'd take the last 3hrs of daylight over the rest of the day however. Mid-late November anything can happen in wt country.

joshbazz
11-28-2018, 06:37 PM
All my deer this season were taken at 2.30pm ish... we got 3 this season... including my 14yo gettin his first one ever... and putting my daughters boyfriend on his first ever also.... good times. But we would comment to eachother on way back into town how it seemed everyone was having lunch when we shot our deer.... I never stop hunting to go back to camp for lunch... my time is limited so I live on trail mix all day til I'm outa light to hunt. Never... ever do I go sit in camp for lunch.

Great Idea about trailmix, I was going to bring some hardboiled eggs... but maybe that's not the best choice if i get winded...

I know you say you only have until 2 but the vast majority of the wt movement I’ve been seeing is mid morning or last night. I’m actually just sitting in a field atm. A buck came in hard and chased the couple does into the timber. Just before he made it gave a quick grunt. He closed about 260/300 yards and fast to come challenge the grunt. They’re still going good. Can’t kill em on the couch.

Correct, can't bag 'em if I'm not there!

Stay positive,i think you WILL get a buck so be ready .I mostly hunt blacktails during the rut and have taken most deer between 10.00 and 1.00 Thanks for the positivity!!! I think I WILL too!

don’t sweat not being there at first light because now you can slowly still hunt to your spot and you will be able to see...I have shot a lot of deer creeping into my spot when I can see, and I have jumped/spooked a lot of deer trying to get to my spot in the dark because I couldn’t see anything..and now that the rut is on I’d be sitting all day because they’ll be chasing tail.

Good point, still hunting appeals to me the most anyways, I can't wait for next season to try going high country for Mulies! I might try down in MU2 before mid Dec too! There's a 30% chance for morning rain, so hope it gently snows covering my late entrance... :)

Thanks everyone, what great advice - super appreciated. And I'll share whatever works in my situation :)

walks with deer
11-28-2018, 06:50 PM
man your getting out on a week day be happy...whitetails have still been in bed at 8 this week..many bucks moving get out there dream big racks tonight

Cyrus
11-28-2018, 06:53 PM
Not very important this time of year. We got our buck at around 830 am. Deer are on the move all day this time of year. Most deer I've shot has probably been between 930 and 1130 as opposed to the first hour of daylight.

joshbazz
11-28-2018, 07:18 PM
man your getting out on a week day be happy...whitetails have still been in bed at 8 this week..many bucks moving get out there dream big racks tonight

This is great news, will be definitely dreaming of WT Racks!!!

Not very important this time of year. We got our buck at around 830 am. Deer are on the move all day this time of year. Most deer I've shot has probably been between 930 and 1130 as opposed to the first hour of daylight.

Great news indeed!

tooley
11-28-2018, 07:24 PM
my experience is first light best for mulies and last light best for whitetail.....shot quite a few nooner bucks of both though!

tooley
11-28-2018, 07:26 PM
and i think a lot of it is how you hunt. deer are in different areas in the early moring and at dusk then at noon......just need to adjust your hunting strategy for time of the day, season, rut etc.

scoutlt1
11-28-2018, 07:28 PM
I'm a big fan of very early mornings, but deer are around during the day, especially this time of year.

Like many others have already said, if you have the opportunity to get out (no matter what time of day), do it!

Good luck and look forward to seeing pics of the buck you shot at 10:15! :)

Wentrot
11-28-2018, 07:43 PM
Damn near every animal out group has gotten is mid day. Get out when ya can, the deer don’t teleport to another planet once the sun comes up.

dana
11-28-2018, 08:44 PM
While I am an early morning riser and first light hunter, i can honestly say the vast majority of my late season harvests have been between 10-11 am.

the hopper
11-28-2018, 11:38 PM
Ya I’ve never shot a deer at first light.
all between 930 and 330
and I’m out generally dark till dark.

joshbazz
11-28-2018, 11:55 PM
and i think a lot of it is how you hunt. deer are in different areas in the early moring and at dusk then at noon......just need to adjust your hunting strategy for time of the day, season, rut etc.

I've got an idea of a few km where they go between cutblocks in the area, but there are a ton of other cutblocks and lakes as well. I actually think I should go out deeper into them, but the first area I found has so much sign and vantage points - I have to try it out.

...Good luck and look forward to seeing pics of the buck you shot at 10:15! :)

Here's hoping!!!

Damn near every animal out group has gotten is mid day. Get out when ya can, the deer don’t teleport to another planet once the sun comes up.

Good to know, I could have come out quite a few times for partial day hunts, I thought I had always needed to be there for first light – now I know better!!!

While I am an early morning riser and first light hunter, i can honestly say the vast majority of my late season harvests have been between 10-11 am.

This is encouraging to hear!

Ya I’ve never shot a deer at first light.
all between 930 and 330
and I’m out generally dark till dark.

Encouraging as well!

If I get anything, I'll post it here! Heck, if I don't, I'll share anything I learned...

Thanks and good night!

ducktoller
11-29-2018, 12:07 AM
Contrary to popular belief deer are metaurnal(sp?) Meaning they get up multiple times a day.

Most of the north American species of deer do a lot of movement at night once velvet is off, ending at dawn and starting again at dusk. They do get up to move, eat, drink, etc mid day.

Does are less this way and more active during the day, during the rut it's less important. But at any time of year deer get shot at any time of day. Just get out there.

Try to shut the door quietly and check the wind before still hunting into your spot. Go slower than you think you need to.

ducktoller
11-29-2018, 12:08 AM
Also dont worry about other places now. Hunt the sign you've found and if there is fresh sign then stick to it.

joshbazz
11-29-2018, 12:20 AM
Great, thanks for that - two things I will need discipline on: staying put and moving slow. Patience. Good. I'm up for the challenge. Cheers ducktoller!

.308SLAYER
11-29-2018, 02:39 AM
Seems for me, most MD are taken from about 8:00 til 9:30 am. (also from others with success in the area)
Quite often will also see them at first light.
Have taken them at 3:30pm also.
Odd time just before dark, but rank it the lowest time for me (might be where I am at that point in my hunt?!)

In other words, just hunt, and even if sign is low, just try and remind yourself to stay positive.
Missed a great opportunity at a 30" spread buck after walking slowly all day and not seeing a track, only to get careless and "blow it".
Buck had come up from a steep area, and I ran into him in his first few steps onto that hill.
That's how quick it can change.
That's hunting.
I hunt all day.

I've had had this happen many times elk mule deer whiteys...never let ur guard down you never know...easy to let your guard down sometimes seems like that's when it happens

Wild one
11-29-2018, 05:41 AM
It all depends on your location when it comes to how important first light is. Only way to know is run cams or hunt it enough

personally I have shot a lot of mid day deer but also first and last light as well. You never know that is why I hunt all day

hunter1947
11-29-2018, 05:48 AM
I have found out over my years hunting that deer hunting times are unpredictable at times I have hunted deer first light and saw nothing
At times I hunt deer latter in the morning and saw deer more than first light same day.

My thoughts on why different movement early morning or hunting latter is the moon faze ,how cold it is the rut ,,what the weather is doing
at the time you hunt them..

ratherbefishin
11-29-2018, 07:00 AM
During the rut the bucks are active 24 hours a day.While I always tried to be out for first light, most of my deer were shot between 10 and 11

SR80
11-29-2018, 07:46 AM
I dont think ive ever killed anything at first light, most success for me is usually after 10am

Takla
11-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Weve killed more moose then deer at first light over the yrs,and bears in the late afternoon.Most deer kills have been between 9am and 11am,includeing this yrs mulie

Walksalot
11-29-2018, 09:37 AM
Studies have shown some of the biggest bucks have been gotten between 10.00Am and 2:00pm and this is attributed to a conditioned response to the lower amount of human activity in the woods during this time period.

Jelvis
11-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Thee early bird -- get's the worm! Hahahahahaha

Jel -- get yer butt outta bed Hahahahaha -- First raven get's the meat --

rocksteady
11-29-2018, 11:14 AM
No matter what time you are there, the critters are there too... they live there...

I have seen some amazing activity quite a bit after first light when the rut is in full swing.... Bucks will dog the does 24 hours a day... If the doe aint ready she will keep moving... If the buck is alone, he will be covering ground looking for a Tinder date... no strings attached, just a one night stand..

russm86
11-29-2018, 11:55 AM
The more I hunt, the more I think first and last light is an old wives tale and there are way more variables than that. I have seen and shot more bigger bucks later in the morning to mid afternoon than first and last light. Even the last 3 weekends hunting this month I have been out from first light to last light and didn't see any bucks until 9am at the earliest. With the full moon I think deer move most of the night and then bed during the day but tend to get restless mid day and are more likely to get up and move around then.

twoSevenO
11-29-2018, 12:07 PM
The more I hunt, the more I think first and last light is an old wives tale and there are way more variables than that. I have seen and shot more bigger bucks later in the morning to mid afternoon than first and last light. Even the last 3 weekends hunting this month I have been out from first light to last light and didn't see any bucks until 9am at the earliest. With the full moon I think deer move most of the night and then bed during the day but tend to get restless mid day and are more likely to get up and move around then.

X2 this has been my experience. Even in the summer alpine scouting ... sun burning down on you, they still get up mid day several times and re-bed several times. So missing first light isnt a detrimental loss as far as spotting wildlife goes.

Last light has mostly worked for me when hunting cut blocks. In my experience, the bucks tend to walk out into the open more at last light and it has worked for us pretty consistently, especially in areas that see a bit of pressure.

My father used to hunt roe bucks back in Europe and first and last light was the only time you could hunt them. The season for them was in July so if you didnt get one by 6am you basically go back to camp, nap and try again around 6pm .... not really the case with mulies.

tyreguy
11-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Whitetails during rut - hunt all day as they're moving all the time as many have mentioned. We often don't leave camp until at least daylight as we often see many animals just on the drive to our spots. Shot mine last week at 12:25pm

Rieber
11-29-2018, 01:13 PM
First light is my favorite. Get something early and you have daylight to deal with. I know by experience that last 1-1/2 hours of legal shooting time is really good but I really want to be in my truck traveling home at that time as my dim light vision isn't what it used to be and I'm not a fan of dealing with dressing and packing game as light turns to dark. And I'm getting scared in the dark woods/field by myself - I don't like evening hunts anymore because if something bad happens, it only gets worse as night comes.

Bugle M In
11-29-2018, 01:26 PM
I will say this about elk however (I know this was a deer question).
Have taken lots of elk in the last hour of the day before dark, and quite often, it is the "last 15 minutes" that make all the difference to stick around, and not leave before dark.
(they take their time it seems to come into a call, intentionally waiting for dark it seems?)

First Light with elk can be great at "getting them started", meaning responding to your calls, but you will find it takes them a little time to get to you or vice versa, so, up till 10:30am is usually the most productive, but have taken some
between 12 and 1 pm.

I think your OP was on WT, so last light seems to also be important with them.
Just never had much going on with MD that late, maybe cause I am on my way down the mountain?

weatherby_man
11-29-2018, 05:26 PM
I think you can find deer all day most days, some random ones about, but,,, I think in certain areas some deer have very specific feeding habits. For MD and in some of those places I have done better in morning just after first light til about 10-11 am. And it has seemed consistent over the years in those areas. However I have hit them mid day as well, usually busting a bedded one. I have shot more WT's when its getting towards dusk probably after 3pm. The areas I hunt for MD vs WT are fairly far apart.

So all that to say I cant say 100 % where they will be at any given moment :?.

joshbazz
11-30-2018, 12:19 AM
And.. no WT for me.. :(

Thanks for all the help everyone! I have been digging into this site since I started this October, and man what a resource this is. I really appreciate this site and all who contribute to it – I will pay it forwards as best I can.

I was out at 9am in my spot, which is a cutblock close to Beaver Lake resort, and probably too close with the activity during the day. I originally scouted the spot on a quiet sunday, but today there was noise from a nearby mill or lumber yard, as well as the odd truck and atv going down the FSR 100 yards from my spot. Weather was pretty mild, light snow falling, which put a smile on my face, really is beautiful out there.

When I arrived I discovered a good sized boulder by the treeline, which had tracks that went right on top, as if the buck at some time of the day would be standing like Simba/Mufasa on pride rock (disney lion king reference), so I walked up and had an 8 foot seat with sweeping views of the young trees, and a nearby hillside and treeline. I sat, glassed and called (Primos buck roar call) until the second atv roared by after a couple hours. Then left it how I found it.

Tons of tracks, I didn't find fresh sign - in my estimation, the deer are here in the dark, and move on during the day away from human activity.

I drove further down Beaver Lake and went up the net service road further away, but still not far from the main road, about half a Km in and found another young tree cut block, so I parked and went for a walk. I tried to go slow and quiet, but the crunchy snow was pretty loud - frozen snow below a few day old snow which gave each step two crunch sounds per foot. So I tried stepping odd frequencies, which I hear is supposed to sound less human and more deer-like... or so I've read.

I found a nice hill with elevations that had nice sweeping views and then discovered: a tree stand! I thought this might mean I must be on the right track if someone bothered to build a tree stand out here.

I'm not sure what the etiquette is regarding tree stands on crown land that don't belong to you, but no one was around, so I climbed it, glassed called and waited. It had wonderful sweeping views of the hillside and treelines. But aside from my buck calls it was pretty quiet, aside from a few bird noises and the odd snow falling from a tree or bush. I only had a couple hours here, as I had limited time and had to pick up my child from school for a whirlwind of activity until now...

Also, someone in the vicinity was letting off rounds, I thought maybe another hunter - but I must have heard at least 20 rounds go off in an hour, sometime 2-3 in a minute. Unless it was simply total carnage out there, perhaps someone was just having target practice...

I think time is the biggest detraction in my success, again I wasn't expecting anything, just hoping to get lucky. I didn't have the availability of time this year to scout effectively and pattern any deer or get good estimations of where they could be in daylight hours. I was only going by tracks I had found, and followed. I think the tree stand is a good indication that I might have found an area worth exploring next season, but I really wish I had pushed much further deeper into the area away from main roads, and will likely do that next year with more time and preparation. I also like the idea of hunting deeper into the wilderness, especially going for high country Mule deer, and might see if I can do that in MU2 before mid Dec... I would love to bag a deer, but I also enjoy, and see the value of just putting time in going for a hunt.

I'd like to learn more about conservation and consider hunting bear - something I would have never considered before - but I'm really drawn, obsessed really, with hunting, and seek to grow ethically into it, and would like to do my part to positively make an impact.

My main takeaways are:
Reading online, listening to podcasts, hearing stories is all-good - but nothing compares to really being out there.
I need to practice patience, and also need to make more time available.
All time put into the bush is good, even if it's not optimal - it is experience that I can learn from.
I just love being out there - feels like home!

*I just watched youtube about grunts and calls - I for sure need to up my game. I also didn't have a bleat or try to make that sound, which I'm sure would have helped - doh!

Cheers and thanks everyone... If I do make some time to do a few days in MU2, I will certainly have questions, super grateful for the help and advice from everyone!

Steelpulse
11-30-2018, 12:42 AM
More important being present in an area that holds deer. Shot all mine between 10am-4pm. Focus on good areas and fresh sign and deer will be around somewhere. I think this is a mule deer thing mainly. Whitetail success can be very much based on first and last light. But anytime you can be in the bush is a good time to hunt. Don’t put to much pressure on not making these times

Wild one
11-30-2018, 06:34 AM
Joshbazz

My best advice for WT is get in the bush and away from large openings and cuts. A lot of WT don’t even come out in theses areas or only do so in the dark

My best results are in thick bush where you are lucky if you’re shooting lanes reach 50yards max. Everyone always thinks I can see and shoot x distance so the try to use it to their advantage but often the WT are cruzing the bush in daylight hrs.

Odds are with you seeing lots of sign the WT were there but 50-300 yards in the trees where you could not see them

dana
11-30-2018, 07:08 AM
Joshbazz

My best advice for WT is get in the bush and away from large openings and cuts. A lot of WT don’t even come out in theses areas or only do so in the dark

My best results are in thick bush where you are lucky if you’re shooting lanes reach 50yards max. Everyone always thinks I can see and shoot x distance so the try to use it to their advantage but often the WT are cruzing the bush in daylight hrs.

Odds are with you seeing lots of sign the WT were there but 50-300 yards in the trees where you could not see them

Sound advice! The same rings true with muleys. Night time feeding in openings is very common in the late season with all movement in the daylight in the timber.

joshbazz
11-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Joshbazz

OK, that make's a lot of sense there...

Sound advice! The same rings true with muleys. Night time feeding in openings is very common in the late season with all movement in the daylight in the timber.

Good to know about Muley's too. My sister lives's in Agassiz and I was going to try to get a few days to stay there and hunt north of the Provincial park for MD... Looks like a little elevation and woods surrounding some cutblocks...

Wild one
11-30-2018, 08:05 AM
OK, that make's a lot of sense there...

Good to know about Muley's too. My sister lives's in Agassiz and I was going to try to get a few days to stay there and hunt north of the Provincial park for MD... Looks like a little elevation and woods surrounding some cutblocks...

Agassiz is blacktail and they are even more nocturnal bush deer

joshbazz
11-30-2018, 08:12 AM
Agassiz is blacktail and they are even more nocturnal bush deer

Right, my mistake - I just only recently read the differences.

Does that mean they will usually be bedded in the woods during the day?

Wild one
11-30-2018, 09:13 AM
Right, my mistake - I just only recently read the differences.

Does that mean they will usually be bedded in the woods during the day?

Everywhere is different but in general BT stay out of the open in daylight hours in high traffic areas. I also know of places BT will sit in the open feeding mid day

Something I figured out long ago is every pocket I hunt is different and there is no magic rules on what deer will do. You really need to spend time hunting/scouting an area to know the habits of the deer in the area it’s the only way to know

BT are tough do to the terrain/bush, human traffic in the area, lower numbers, and they are skiddish

Darksith
11-30-2018, 09:27 AM
I think there is a midday shuffle as I call it. The deer feed in the mornings, then they bed down and process their breakfast, then they eventually get up and move, then they go inactive again for a while and up again at last light. Weather conditions, moon cycle, hunter/predator pressure, rut all affect this, but I do seem to catch a lot of deer moving around noon in the fall. It is more around 1:30 earlier in the fall/late summer. But ya first light...it depends how you hunt but the deer are getting up and moving in the morning.

Jelvis
11-30-2018, 09:35 AM
A. Under the Ministry's rules you have 30 minutes b4 sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset to legally shoot a deer anything else is closed to firing at a deer.
B. Check the official time of sunrise and sunset on the weather channel -->
C. If your going out hunting deer in the morning then go out from your home driving to your spots in the dark and by the time you get to a shooting area it's light enuff

Jelly -- Bean -------> You and your hunting buddy or on your own you start driving out from home in the dark and get into the bush when it's light enuff to shoot. :smile: -->

okas
11-30-2018, 10:02 AM
I usually have more luck mid day. Like after 10:30 I had a camp set up in 2015 lots of hunters around mostly driving around first light and just before dark . So we started at around noon :-o and all on ground around 2 in the afternoon . as just less traffic and they felt safe

whitlers
11-30-2018, 11:25 AM
A. Under the Ministry's rules you have 30 minutes b4 sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset to legally shoot a deer anything else is closed to firing at a deer.
C. If your going out hunting deer in the morning then go out from your home driving to your spots in the dark and by the time you get to a shooting area it's light enuff

Jelly -- Bean -------> You and your hunting buddy or on your own you start driving out from home in the dark and get into the bush when it's light enuff to shoot. :smile: -->

It's one hour Jel. But still sound advice

.264winmag
11-30-2018, 11:54 AM

Should read the regs again.

Jelvis
11-30-2018, 01:51 PM
An hour holy are you sure about that ahh I guess they changed it for the resident hunter in the past few yeara Hahahahahahaha then? Start driving out earlier.

Jelly Pot Pie ------------------> Have to be a Night Owl <--------------- Check the regs regularly if your classed as a resident hunter --> BC Hunting Regs <-----

whitlers
11-30-2018, 02:22 PM
An hour holy are you sure about that ahh I guess they changed it for the resident hunter in the past few yeara Hahahahahahaha then? Start driving out earlier.

Jelly Pot Pie ------------------> Have to be a Night Owl <--------------- Check the regs regularly if your classed as a resident hunter --> BC Hunting Regs <-----

Yeah not like it makes a huge difference. Its usually to dark to shoot within a half hour anyway haha.

Jelvis
11-30-2018, 03:00 PM
Now in Kamloops it's pitch black an hour b4 sunny rise and like yer sayin with Whit and no shit. it is still dark a half hour in fall or I'm Santa Claws Hahahahaha

Jelly Dark - No sign of the morning coming-- > You bin left on yer own ---> Like a rainbow in the dark <------- Dio --> An hour b4 sunrise and I see only dark sky's
---------------------------how important iz 4play? --> you want a four point mule, you have to ( Plan and work your way into the day your hunting from early 2 late )

Jagermeister
11-30-2018, 09:51 PM
Should read the regs again.
In his case, the regs don't apply. Hunt by the light of candlepower. go out before the resident hunter, get mine, scare the rest back into the bush and over the mountain.

finngun
11-30-2018, 11:04 PM
jello be--BE--A. Under the Ministry's rules you have 30 minutes b4 sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset to legally shoot a deer anything else is closed to firing at a deer.:idea:
jello--be-be,,yu can shoot as long as car battery last.......but yu are talking about duck hunting rules up there..too much coffee,,eh?:shock:

HarryToolips
11-30-2018, 11:12 PM
My buddy shot a nice 5 pt wt this morning a couple hours after first light...

Jelvis
12-01-2018, 08:35 AM
First light --last light -- in between -- ducks n bucks and what finny in dah minny knows Bo --The BC Regs he knows -- inside and outside --

Jelly ( True ) Shot -- First light - Last light on the last nite and it's December first so 9 daze to qwench thy thirst ----Snow in daah mountains in 3-28 - tracks in snow
------------------------------------It's time to go - if yah gotta a 4 by - and try for a trail -- follow it like a snail -- > Monster 4 Mule to fool ---> I'm all shook up! --------

horshur
12-01-2018, 09:44 AM
If you need your sleep..take it and go hunting a little later because being awake and alert and staying healthy is important.... guys with young kids or shift work or long hours you need to take care of yourself...just put in the time you can... I prefer afternoon hunt early season because you catch up on some zzz’s, take care of tasks that work has made impossible, and the you can focus on a hunt mentally cause you have dealt with any pressing things...
Late season I like the mornings because you are not getting up real early anyway..and I take the afternoons if I need them for chores..
Being a weekend warrior sucks..somwhere you have to keep hunting enjoyable if it becomes a chore the excuses to stay home become easier then to go..if your shit” is not getting done, if the gas bill is mounting, if you come home tired and pissy. If your partner is doing all the work with kids..

walks with deer
12-01-2018, 01:58 PM
horshur is bang on...last saturday chores.sunday morning chores.
sunday evening 6x6 down and tagged out

Sitkaspruce
12-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Over my career of hunting and guiding, I can count on one hand how many animals I have killed in the first two hours of the day.

Most have been killed in the late morning to mid afternoon.

Funny, this year we were busting out of bed an hour before first light and racing to the place we wanted to hunt, only to not hear or see much. By the third day, we had a discussion on how many moose we had killed or guided to in the early morning....not enough to think about. So we slept in, let others race around getting to the spot and we started around 8-830 am (first light was around 7) and we stayed out to 1 or so (sometimes all day) and killed one moose and had many more come in, all between 10-2.

I personally am not an early morning hunter, yet every year, I get up way before first light and head out for a day of discovery.....it the drive that I might just see something....and I enjoy the out doors.

Cheers

SS

unstableryan
12-01-2018, 07:55 PM
My buck a few days ago was first light, my buck last year was too. both at the end of November. However I have shot many deer at 10 am, 2pm etc.

I dont think ive ever killed anything at first light, most success for me is usually after 10am

chris
12-02-2018, 07:22 AM
It depends on a lot of things. Where I was just whitetail hunting the only time I would see anything was the first 30 minutes of daylight and the last 30 minutes of light. Very high pressure area though. I ended up getting my buck at daybreak and was home in time for breakfast.

hawk-i
12-02-2018, 11:44 AM
I find lately that I'm shooting most of my game animals (except for whitetails) between 10 am and 2 pm.

Dusk has always in the past been the most productive hunting time for me.

howa1500
12-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Of all the critters Ive take over the years, I've only ever had 1 deer at first light. Almost half have been between 1030-1400, and the remainder have been the last hour of the day. I rarely worry about smacking a deer on the highway in the morning hours, but sure as hell have had some crazy experiences coming home at night...

caddisguy
12-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Yeah not like it makes a huge difference. Its usually to dark to shoot within a half hour anyway haha.

Jelvis hunts with the high beams.

joshbazz
12-03-2018, 02:32 AM
Well thanks for all the feedback, this is a game changer for me - I literally thought that if I could not make first light, then it would not be worth doing a partial day hunt... man the different choices I would have made over the last couple months! Well the word 'Rookie' is in my signature for a reason ;)

Season's not over yet though...

All the very best to everyone!

GEF
12-03-2018, 07:31 AM
The majority of largest bucks I have ever seen were at the earliest few minutes of first light. Having said that the 0900 o'clock witching hour is were the majority of my bucks are shot for me ,not the biggest!

Bugle M In
12-03-2018, 12:25 PM
"Road hunting" the first 1/2 hour of the morning and say the last 45 minutes in my opinion might be a good idea if it doesn't take long to hike into your still hunting area.
For me, it takes too long, so I have parked the truck already before first light and started my hike up to hunt down.
But over the years, the 2 best times to see deer "in a truck" for me are those 2 times (first light/last light).
(but it's not my choice of hunting, walking is)
So, if your late getting in, you have most of the day to hike in and look around.
Just look at all the posts and main times that people say they see bucks.
Just remind yourself when you get discouraged, that things can change in a second, so keep alert.
If you are not trying to hunt, then you are just out for a walk.
Good luck