PDA

View Full Version : An Easy Goat Hunt....

Kopper
11-26-2018, 09:24 PM
An easy goat hunt….well as goat hunts go, easy is relative.

Before I share a hunt from this year, backtrack to last year; where I was determined to save the tag for a late season billy. Early November I found an old billy which would unknowingly occupy all my thoughts. Initially, he stayed in very treacherous places where I’d always get cliffed out. The following week I returned with my dad. Through a break in the fog, on the same hill, we spotted him with 5 nannies/kids. The herd gave us the slip and for the next few days, we watched helplessly, catching the odd glimpse of them going up into the fog and down the valley.

I returned by myself in the last week of November, to tough it out until the season closed….if need be. The day after arrival I was fortunate enough to have taken that old goat by noon. I came out of that season with a sprained wrist, stiches in my thigh, a busted lower lip, chipped front tooth and of course the severed/torn extensor tendon. I had some minor surgery but I can thankfully say everything healed perfectly. Typing this as the freezing is slowly coming out of my jaw lol (the tooth being the last to get fixed). It was all worth it and something I shall never forget.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?141576-Late-Season-Goat-Success&highlight=late+season+goat+success

I got the goat back from the taxidermy recently. Sadly, no space is available on a wall at this time.

https://i.imgur.com/kpSdiin.jpg

This was supposed to be a compilation of the 2018 season, harvested animals, scenery, live moose/elk/sheep/bears etc but I got lazy and decided to keep it strictly to the one day goat jaunt I experienced a couple months back. I figured after last year that the big guy could give me an easy goat in 2018 ha.

This years goat coming up!
Continued…..

northof49
11-26-2018, 10:30 PM
I remember that write-up....that was a hard earned goat. Looks great.

decker9
11-27-2018, 07:28 AM
That was a heck of a hunt, and story!! I’d be clearing wall off for that mount ;).

argyle1
11-27-2018, 09:01 AM
That was a heck of a hunt, and story!! I’d be clearing wall off for that mount ;).
yeah no shit !! me too

Kopper
11-27-2018, 09:08 AM
I had 3 days to pull it off. I was set to return to town October 1st as I had a friend arriving that night. We had taken the following week off to get my buddy his first goat. So, I packed my gear and prepared to leave bright and early for a quick solo backpack hunt for the next few days.

Early came, teeth brushed and loading the truck in the dark with wheels rolling by 5. I choose this time because the sun will just be starting to make the trail bright. Jamming out to Octane for the last few hours really helps to wake yourself up and provide some motivation to get on the trail.

The trail starts following a large river. Good trail except, like so many other trails when ridden with a horse the brush is either too low or the horse pushes it away from you. Walking you're definitely going to be eating some bush. The valley is choked straight with willows, rather thick and the river often muffles the sound of anything....Hate it, but it does look great from above with the leaves changing.

At this point in the year there is very few guys still out hunting. Most seem to be concentrated at the large trail heads with the odd guy scattered at various hike in locations. Regardless though, the inconspicuous drainage I'll be going into is usually left alone. It's small and with not many sheep!

After a few hours on the trail a quick turn onto a dried old creek bed leaves me bush whacking through a choked up narrow canyon. A little while later the crappy part is over and the bottom of the drainage opens up slightly; just perfect for walking on the dry boulders. Its a steep drainage as I gained elevation quickly but it doesn't continue for much longer. A bit further a dry tributary branches off and you can see either end of the drainage. It would've been somewhere around 11 at this time.

ydouask
11-27-2018, 10:00 AM
:shock: Won't miss this one !

Kopper
11-27-2018, 05:52 PM
I find that on this side of the rocks the super dense goat hills are on closure and other than a few pockets with low numbers the rest of the goats remain mostly transient. This area usually has a couple kicking around but nothing special, so I'm really not expecting to be choosey ;) Coming from a guy that hunts low density areas for goats, I'm used to it.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day, the sun was shining with few clouds in the sky. It's a perfect time to glass when the sun first warms the hills on any given day. As I'm making my way up the rather steep gulley I notice the first goats with the naked eye as they come into view. Nestled on a protruding cliff edge they eagerly soak up the Vitamin D. I count 6.....1 big nanny, 2 younger nannies, 1 kid, a yearling nanny and a 2 year old bill. Great to see, but I wasn't interested. Soon after they picked up and began to exit the valley.

I continue along. I spotted another goat well up the hill but getting a different angle brought up 4 more. They were working towards where I originally saw the first group, just higher up. There was one goat that was trailing the nannies and kid; add in its bigger body size and my interest was spiked.

I pulled the spotter out and watched them for a half hour or so. I put him at 4 years old, which just so happens to be my minimum. IME a 3 year old still sports a teenage face, where as a 4 year old has a more adult face. After 4 it gets hard to accurate judge the exact age. I added this goat to the hit list, but I really had no intention to climb that high today. I had 3 days and they needed to bed somewhere...An opportunity would present. I was in awe, the most goats I've ever seen in here (even on a few day trip) was 6 up until today.

Kopper
11-27-2018, 08:03 PM
I took the time to throw my eyes up onto the hill from the direction I came. Wasn't long and I picked out a couple sheep. Indeed, a swing of the spotter showed 3 rams bedded below the rocky stuff. I zoomed in but alas, they were all young 3-4ish year olds. Sheep hide amazingly well so out of habit I zoomed out just to assess the surrounding area for anything missed. I actually laughed out loud to myself on the hill....
https://i.imgur.com/A8frX1I.jpg

Kopper
11-27-2018, 08:08 PM
There was a goat sleeping just above these rams. Another goat....
It was actually a neat shot. Not often you can get goats and sheep in a clip that close together. Sheep are in the bottom left and the goat is top third in the middle if ya haven't found him yet.

Anyways, this was a good goat and something I would indeed go after. Being around 130 there’s plenty of day left.

Kopper
11-28-2018, 09:08 AM
I had to back track alittle until I came to a skinny chute that went straight up the hill. It had an animal trail going the length of it up the one side to where the chute and trail dissipates just below, and off from the rams. I dropped all my overnight gear at the bottom to allow for a quicker ascent; as I'd be camping here anyways it seemed like a logical location. The trail was quite steep, steep enough that you'd go for a tumble if you slipped, but it came with enough foot holds to make it a secure ascent.

The game trail made this quick. According to the contours on my GPS app I needed to gain just over 300 vertical meters to be at the ram level. Drenched in sweat I was there a mere half hour later. Now, I wasn't sure how I was going to get to this goat. Ideally in this case the rams wouldn't be there and I could sneak up from below and shoot him down. But, busting the rams would more than likely alert the goat, hmmmm. Wind was good, going from top to bottom. I decided I would hit the rock wall in front and slowly climb up and around until I ran into the goat.

Staring at the wall, alittle intimidated mind you.... I look over my other direction and see a distinct white blob on an outcropping maybe around a half km away. I hit the decks and pulled out the spotter. Sure enough a good, distinctively old billy was snoozing on a rock out cropping just below my elevation; and just below the rock wall.
https://i.imgur.com/YNIHhZS.jpg

Kopper
11-28-2018, 09:32 AM
This was most fortunate as I think the chance of success going after the other goat was fair at best. Now with the elevation advantage and the wind still going down I damn near had my cross hairs on him. From where I was it looked like I could pop out on an outcropping just above him and probably 50 yards or so. The stalk was on!

I tried to hold my elevation as I had landmarked the route the best I could and somewhat knew where I wanted to be. It is tough though with all the vertical little chutes and imperfections of any mountain; stuff you can never see from the bottom. I found myself constantly zig zaging up and down to stay on the small patches of vegetation or solid rock. It was steep enough that if I stepped on any loose scree that it would tumble and make a bunch of noise.

It wasn't long and I saw what looked like the final outcropping I wanted to reach. The only problem was I was rushing as the wind was now going almost completely cross slope with a gentle angle downhill, EXACTLY towards to goat. I knew if that goat was still there that things would happen fast. I dropped my pack and got the rifle in the ready for the final stretch.

warnniklz
11-28-2018, 12:21 PM
A wise man once told me "if something doesn't go haywire on a goat hunt, you aren't hunting goats"

Kopper
11-28-2018, 07:27 PM

Hopefully I will be moving soon so trying to avoid more holes ha.

Kopper
11-28-2018, 07:28 PM
A wise man once told me "if something doesn't go haywire on a goat hunt, you aren't hunting goats"

Oh yes, you certainly would know too. Not often its for the better lol

Kopper
11-28-2018, 07:42 PM
I wasn't sprinting but I was certainly moving as quick as possible now. The bluff I was waiting for was so close. As I began to round it my pace slows... Quickly the goat comes into view, slightly lower on the rock outcropping I'd last seen him on. I was expecting a quick off hand shot but to my surprise he was farther away. I quickly laid on the ground and got the crosshairs above him. He was facing away but looking back right at me.

It was no more than 7 seconds from eye contact to the first trigger pull, but there was a lot to think about and a decision to be made. I'm confident in sexing so it was more the shot. I wouldn't take this shot if it was a straight ass approach, but the slight elevation gain would give me a small window to slip one in the ribs, missing the guts. I've made this shot before so no biggie.

There was no ranging and no scope tweaking, with my right leg hanging off the edge I laid the gun down and quickly squeezed the trigger. It was a good hit, the goat sprawled out at the shot. I let him have another one, and then a third. I almost always empty clips on goats or bears.... I later range it at 207 yards.

It was done. Completely exhausted and soaking wet from that uphill sprint I gathered my pack and made my way over to that goat.

Pics coming asap. Just gotta eat.

Kopper
11-28-2018, 08:55 PM
I was more than happy with the old billy, another 10 year old with a decent set of daggers on him and good hair.

Two shots had hit within a couple inches of each other, right where they were supposed to. One exited low in the neck and the other out the brisket; no idea what happened to the third shot. Accubonds do it again....You'll see the goat was quite healthy, a big pig at that too. Quite fatty for only having a portion of two teeth left lol.

https://i.imgur.com/vJd5SgJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bEd4f7w.jpg

Kopper
11-28-2018, 08:57 PM
https://i.imgur.com/mqVLnD0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YXaMnZb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/unCdDIb.jpg

Sorry about the close ups. I'm picky when it comes to scenery shots. Not sure why they appear so big and in your face when not on a mobile either!

Kopper
11-28-2018, 09:13 PM
I snapped a few photos then wrapped a glove on either horn and a stanfield around his head. Gave him a quick boot off the tiny ledge he was on to a nicer and bigger spot to work on. I remember last year it took hours to cape and debone the goat, while slowly sliding down the hill ha, but I finished this goat off in 1.5hrs. I had a tough call to make... Camp on the hill and walk out in the light tomorrow or do the hike today and inevitably walk out in the dark....Really didn't want to do either but a few hours worrying a bear is going to eat me versus a whole night of it won me over.

I made my way down to the bottom to collect my camp gear. Now, I usually knock Stone Glacier, specifically the packs having the space they claim. Well I still call bull on 6900 CI but it did a damn good job with all my gear, goat meat, and cape/head.

For those that are interested. My gear for 3-4 days is down to 32-33lbs, this includes pack and food but doesn't include my rifle or water. Now, I was looking at somewhere alittle over 100lbs.

https://i.imgur.com/r2fvxw2.jpg

Kopper
11-28-2018, 09:24 PM
Yep those are Costco hiking poles. 2 years of abuse, just missing most of the cork on the handles from blasted rodents.

It was dark not long after this picture. I have to say the bush whacking section blew chunks. Due to the couple impassible chutes, I had to climb up to avoid them. The stupidly heavy pack made the glutes burn but these should be the only stops on the trip. Once back into the main valley I went as quick as possible making better time than coming in actually. All the moisture in every exhale was lit up from the headlamp and sure I got smacked with a great number of willows. It was alittle uneasy traveling out in the dark.....

Soon enough, I made it back to the truck and then returned to town around midnight. Not a single injury lol.

Rethinking this....I guess it wasn't that easy, just easier than other years. A lot which I fully acknowledge was luck.

I'm just finishing up the euro for this guy, should have pics in a couple days. Other than that, hope you enjoy. Goat hunts are certainly my favorite to do or read about, hopefully more people will post theirs.

RE1960
11-28-2018, 09:52 PM
Nice job beautiful goat.

HarryToolips
11-28-2018, 10:08 PM
Very nice goat, great writeup and pics..

ditch donkey
11-28-2018, 11:17 PM
another good read, always a pleasure reading goat adventures. easy and goats don’t usually go together but i did witness one this season

kennyj
11-29-2018, 08:33 AM
Awesome story and beautiful billy. Well deserved I'd say.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.
Just curious how long his horns are?
kenny

Kopper
11-29-2018, 07:34 PM
Thanks boys, my pleasure.

kennyj, 9 5/8 and 5 5/8 or 6/8s. Struggling with getting the same circumference number in a row.

Kopper
11-29-2018, 07:35 PM
https://i.imgur.com/6rXMIC3.jpg

Sheaths aren't glued on yet nor is it screwed to the plaque but you get the jist of it.

ydouask
11-29-2018, 09:08 PM
:) Another great hunt, well done. Thank you for the write-up.

Rattler
11-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Great story and pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I love goat hunting as well...awesome country they inhabit...

LBM
11-29-2018, 09:36 PM
Congrats on another great goat, last day here tomorrow but my buddy cant get away.

twoSevenO
11-30-2018, 11:45 AM
Congratulations man, that's a heck of a nice old Billy. Are you still 100% success rate on goats? Wanna take a newbie out? :D :D

You sure know your goat hunting. Well done!

Btw, I am seeing 10 on the left horn (right in pic) and 9 on the right (left in pic) ... is that correct? Am I missing a 10th on the one horn somewhere? Is it even possible to have uneven growth rings on horns??

Congrats again and thanks for sharing... definitely dont see too many goats on here!!

kennyj
11-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Awesome job on the Euro! Excellent old billy.
kenny

Kopper
11-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Thanks again guys. twoSevenO:

100% on goats lol? I’m on a pretty good streak, most which of made HBC, but certainly haven’t killed one every year of my career. I’ll send you a PM.

10 on each horn, never seen different counts per horn. Must be the lighting.

decker9
12-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Love seeing old Billy’s!! Huge congrats to you Kopper, thank you for sharing, wicked on all levels!!

.264winmag
12-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Sounds like a great hunt, and a damn fine Billy. Nice work. Congrats!