PDA

View Full Version : When the Mulies come down

BCBear
09-10-2007, 08:31 PM
After failing to see anything but does last week in region 3, i figured that I hadn't gone high enough into alpine to see the bucks. My question is when do they come down from their lofty places and back down into the forest. Can that be expected mid Sept or is that an October timeline? thanks to anyone who can help educate me on this one.

locdog_99
09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
i was at boston bar last week an didnt see a buck eather some other ppl said they saw one but they must start coming down in mid october to realy get a chance saw lots of bears thou

dave_fras
09-10-2007, 08:43 PM
i just got home from 3-12 near hathume and saw 3 bucks... nothin big tho... only 1 doe tho... and about 10000000000 other hunters haha

Steeleco
09-10-2007, 09:12 PM
We did another weekend of Junior any buck, we had a young 2x2 in my sons sights but it wasn't to be. In 2 weekends we've seen 14 does and the one buck. And NO BEARS :cry: We covered lots of roads and bush and saw nothing. Even got up to 6600' and nothing. There's so much ground water and food in the hills of 8-5 I don't think they'll have to move out for some time?

30-06
09-10-2007, 09:16 PM
i haven't seen anything. i haven't seen 1 buck. 1 might have been but not sure . i seen TON'S right before. opening day of youth NOTTA

HighCountry
09-10-2007, 09:56 PM
I went to region 8-4 on the week-end scouting I saw lots of does but
only seen couple 3X3 bucks nothing big.

irishbandit1
09-10-2007, 10:15 PM
I was up in 8-11 as well as 3-12 this afternoon ,I took a friend up for his first ever hunt ,he shot 2 out of the 4 grouse that we saw as well we bumped into a cow moose a whitetail doe and a mulie doe all in all a great opening day for a rookie.P.S. Ithink he's hooked,good luck this year,regards Bandit!

rock
09-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Once the first frost comes along things will change I just hope it's soon I'm itching to get out.
As for weather there still pretty high or with a few gun shots have learned where to go and when to travel smart???

Mr. Dean
09-11-2007, 08:20 AM
This is only 3 seasons of experience...

I do my Deer hunt in the mid - late October. I usualy find them (decent bucks) hanging around the 5000ft level. At this time of year, it seems that any gathering of doe's hold a young/stupid buck as well.

But that's another month away.

curt
09-11-2007, 10:52 AM
the big deer will stay high as long as they can they will start to move when snow pushes them off their feeding ground and of course when they feel the need for a little lovin but heavy pressure from hunters will keep them heading back up for as long as possible moose too Ive seem some of my bigest bulls way up in the highest blocks and timber you can get too.:smile:

Big Bucks
09-11-2007, 11:24 AM
'' to that Curt

CooperSscat
09-11-2007, 05:09 PM
i was at boston bar last week an didnt see a buck eather some other ppl said they saw one but they must start coming down in mid october to realy get a chance saw lots of bears thou

Yeah I saw a spiker in velvet West of Boston Bar last weekend during 4 point season, and not too high up at all. The doe I saw was very low down as I was approaching the North East end of Harrison Lake.

Jeremy

Wild 1
09-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Couple buddies took their kids out for the junior hunt in 3-12. They saw a group of 4 bucks, one was a 4x4. Came home with two. Had to make a run up the connector the other day and saw a group of six bucks on the side of the Brenda mine hill. So as always need to be in the right place at the right time.

locdog_99
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
right place at the right time is right!

WoodOx
09-11-2007, 07:32 PM
cant comment on region 3

just keep in mind as I am sure in region 3, like 8 where I am, many mule deer are resident in lower elevations and winter very close or in place...

Depending upon where you are hunting, the deer may never move down in elevation.

Best of luck

BCLongshot
09-11-2007, 07:36 PM
I guess that's why I was water skiing on Sunday.

30-06
09-11-2007, 08:18 PM

lastyear we where wakeboarding at the end of september

BCBear
09-11-2007, 08:30 PM

lastyear we where wakeboarding at the end of september

You two keep playing in the water...I'm going to snoop around this weekend again and see if anything pops up:mrgreen:

Will
09-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Nice little 4x4 right on the connector in town on my way to work today....not too high at all ;)

But then didn't see any Bucks while out opening day...so go figure:roll:

Guess I should be looking closer to town ! :lol:

BTW Last week of Oct to mid Nov.........things get real serious for me:wink:

tontonian
09-11-2007, 09:42 PM
i spent the last 2 days in 3-26 and have seen next to nothing,last night went with my wife and saw 3 does near sundown on kelly mountain. today was in the spa hills area at 5000 ft and nothing,it's too hot right now i think (30 c today). it's my first year hunting so still figuring it out!
good luck!

jessbennett
09-12-2007, 05:23 PM
seen a nice big 4x4 mulie under a harley davidson a while back.....:o

Will
09-12-2007, 05:35 PM
After failing to see anything but does last week in region 3

i spent the last 2 days in 3-26 and have seen next to nothing
Well hopefully ALL the Lurkers are paying attention...which I'm sure they are ! :wink:

There are NO Big Bucks left in Region 3.....Nada Zip Zero !

So look elsewhere Please ! .......:biggrin:

BCLongshot
09-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Exactly

BC doesn't have any wildlife everyone knows that

Will
09-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Exactly

BC doesn't have any wildlife everyone knows that
There's Plenty in BC..........just NONE in Reg 3 :razz:

Gateholio
09-12-2007, 10:10 PM
If you are driving at night, along the valley bottom highways, and you see some bucks...

Don't think that they travel to the high country every morning, and back again at night.:D

There are quite a few low elevation resident deer. Although- It's probably easier to spot and kill a large one higher up..not to mention more picturesque:cool:

dana
09-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Even though there are some resident low elevation bucks that spend all summer pretty much on the winter range, most bucks do head high to chase that lush feed. The zones from 1600 metres in elevation and higher are you best early season bets. Recent ESSF cutblocks with plenty of fireweed are good starting points. My boy and I haven't been above treeline yet and we've seen a dozen bucks thus far this youth season. Hunt high early and late. No need to be wasting your time driving around in the afternoon. You're pretty much just burning gas. Unless you are above treeline hiking and glassin, I'd suggest taking the afternoons to relax and fish.