PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Pend Oreille Whitetail question

Festival
11-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone,
First timer here. I've been hunting a bit in Region 4 near the Pend Oreille road between Nelway and Waneta for Whitetail. Found a shed, seen some trails and droppings so thought it might be a half decent spot but haven't had any luck. Got a late start and can only really hunt weekends with my work right now. I've heard this area is heavily hunted and so am I just too late to the party? Seems like a decent deer habitat and I've been hunting some small openings as well as brushy areas that I can move through without making too much noise.

It's mixed Doug fir with some thick brush as well as some small openings. Some pretty steep sections, but some flats. Does this sound like a good spot? Haven't found any rub trees but have noticed other deer sign. Am I just late and the deer have already been made skittish? Or am I just being too smelly and loud? Or both?

Any tips or advice (or suggestions for other general areas around Salmo, no specifics of course!) would be much appreciated as I'm both new to hunting and the area. I have a bow so there's still hope yet!

Next season hope to get out earlier and do more preseason scouting but any ideas for the remainder of this year would be a great help!

Thanks!

rogerb
11-24-2018, 09:44 PM
a shadow of its former self like many areas in the southern interior, the pend oreille valley is largely a wintering area & until heavy snow arrives to the north & east, the whitetail deer just aren't in there in large numbers. ironically for your location perhaps but many of them are probably still hanging in the salmo area. also erie/beaver creek valleys. they move into the pend oreille once deep snow comes. then the wolves & cougars set to work...

Festival
11-24-2018, 11:59 PM
Ok, thanks. That's good to know. What has changed in the valley compared to previous times?

In any case, closer to Salmo = closer to home. I'll check out some of those valleys, thank you for your advice.

jacksondog
11-25-2018, 07:20 AM
The Pendy is in Region 4 not 8 like stated, just FYI.

Festival
11-25-2018, 08:26 AM
Right! I was meaning to write 4-8 but just didn't for some reason. Thanks.

Brez
11-25-2018, 09:09 AM
Ok, thanks. That's good to know. What has changed in the valley compared to previous times?

In any case, closer to Salmo = closer to home. I'll check out some of those valleys, thank you for your advice.

Gross miss-management of our wild life resources is what has happened. Welcome to our area.

338win mag
11-28-2018, 06:20 PM
I saw good whitetail near rosebud lk.