PDA

View Full Version : Positive news from the ministry

dapesche
11-24-2018, 06:18 PM
I was chatting with a beauty of guy whose kid is in soccer with mine. This gent works with the ministry in the koots. I think this is some positive news.

I'll do my best to relay it but it's worth reaching out to your local govt biologists to seek clarity.

The koots are getting two new biologists. One in Cranbrook and one in Nelson.

The biologist mentioned that licence and tag revenue is going to be spent on wildlife management. Under the liberals it sounds like the bcwf had a larger role in the increased spending. The ndp has lessened bcwf's role and will spend more of the cash inside the government (note the pending hires above).

Now what's going to be contentious is that first Nation role in policy and management is going to be much larger and they will be a partner. This brings up the same ol contentions but please do not turn this into a first Nation bashing thread... Too many of those lately.

Buddy conceded that FN is contentious but their annual harvest is a huge unknown and that butchers throughout bc help with a harvest estimate.

If we had a better understanding of FN harvest numbers it was indicated that in some places allocations might actually increase. In short, the partnership will help with the overall data.

He indicated that FN interest groups have a lot of the same desires as resident hunters... Where's all the damn deer. So they want more as well.

My concern is that they want them all. Equality amongst FN sustinence and resident hunters is I think what we all want. Hopefully the partnership will remove some animosity.

West koot caribou was spotted across the border south of kookanoosa and has headed back into bc and was spotted around moyie lake.

Predator control is needed but unfortunately hunters can't do much of anything. 70% reduction is required and needs to be sustained.

Mentioned that 180 wolves were killed over the last while and they have already recovered 120.

Logging really affects caribou. Affects other ungulates but at a lesser extent.

Liked the way forests were manged decades ago when wildlife and forest management worked in partnership.

Big fan of the idea of decommissioning roads but costs were an issue with the lumber companies.

He has big concerns with mule deer. Not sure what will fix it.

Had some interesting recent studies on browse and how to encourage the growth of browse with higher nutritional value.

All that I can Remeber right now.

The big thing is that our licence and tag revenue is being reinvested and he indicated the DoF will not be receiving the funds due to their own revenue sources.

rocksteady
11-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Unfortunately his concerns, when they get to the regional manager, director or minister may be swept under the carpet..

Big Lew
11-24-2018, 06:29 PM
Actions speak louder than words....how many times have we been burned by political promises
that never materialized?
Unfortunately, I think the whole management, health, and recovery will only succeed if mony is involved.
Private money. I see similar scenarios like what's down in the States where private parties have large
tracts of land under their control to which they basically raise deer like ranchers raise cattle. Putting specialized
food plots and weeding out the culls while strictly reducing any predators.

Ourea
11-24-2018, 06:57 PM
dapesche, great post and so well presented.

Some have been trumpeting the need to invest in wildlife and claim OUR money back out of general revenue and be dedicated to the resource.

It's slowly coming together.

Baby steps.

Again, great and well presented on ur behalf.
Cheers

Grizzloonly
11-25-2018, 08:59 AM
There can never be too much money. Any government redirecting money to general revenue is a problem.

Equality amongst FN sustinence and resident hunters is I think what we all want.

I would reword this "Equality amongst FN and resident hunters' sustenance is I think what we all want." Hunting for food should be everyone's right.

Had some interesting recent studies on browse and how to encourage the growth of browse with higher nutritional value.

How about stop the spraying (http://stopthespraybc.com/) for a start. This practice is destroying browse among other nasty side effects, like forest fires.

Private money. I see similar scenarios like what's down in the States where private parties have large
tracts of land under their control to which they basically raise deer like ranchers raise cattle. Putting specialized
food plots and weeding out the culls while strictly reducing any predators.

B.C. has enormous tracts of public land. We have the opportunity to create naturally sustaining habitat. With virtually no public land the U.S. has to use a different model, and yes it works for them.

dapesche
11-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Well put grizz.

180grainer
11-25-2018, 11:20 AM
FN being accountable for what they do in the bush? Great idea, but I'll believe it when I see it.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-25-2018, 11:40 AM
sounds like your buddy has heard alot of things but has not suggested a fix for anything.
The NDP are willing to spend more money on government jobs which is ass backwards to what should be happening. Rarely will a government Biologist do anything but study and then study again and maybe once more.
The Bios that speak up get removed from their position.
Biologists never seem to come up with any solutions but spend their time counting and then counting again until they only need 1 hand to count on.

Sorry to be so negative but what I said is reality.

Big Lew
11-25-2018, 01:00 PM
sounds like your buddy has heard alot of things but has not suggested a fix for anything.
The NDP are willing to spend more money on government jobs which is ass backwards to what should be happening. Rarely will a government Biologist do anything but study and then study again and maybe once more.
The Bios that speak up get removed from their position.
Biologists never seem to come up with any solutions but spend their time counting and then counting again until they only need 1 hand to count on.

Sorry to be so negative but what I said is reality.

Yup, have to say you're right. It's usually an exercise in futility for the biologists and scientists
because even after their best studies are validated, the governments just toss them in favour of
their own agendas. I experienced a similar scenario many years ago when my company had me
test and write up a thorough report on a new prototype concrete hauling truck. I did so, making
the asked for recommendations as well, only to have them shelve the report and order a bunch
of the trucks with the cheapest running gear, and stripped down to as basic the law would allow.
It back fired on those 'bean counters' though because those trucks couldn't do the job efficiently,
and they were in the shop frequently as well which cost them far more than if they had bought
the trucks equipped as was suggested. That fiasco put an end to the purchasing of trucks by
inexperienced accountants right across North America because those cheap trucks were distributed
all over the place, not just our part of the organization.

boxhitch
11-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Of course the dp's won't support the new wildlife agency announced by the Libs
then they don't have to support the financial investment promised either

dapesche
11-27-2018, 09:53 AM
Of course the dp's won't support the new wildlife agency announced by the Libs
then they don't have to support the financial investment promised either

By DP's I am assuming you are referring to NDP.

Hopefully you can elaborate on the wildlife Agency as I don't Remeber the finer details of the liberal plan. All

I know is that tag/licence revenue is being reinvested and that the ministry is actively working in partnership with FN to improve our wildlife management.

I see that as a step in the right direction.

It's always healthy to be skeptical but hopefully we some new ideas/changes over the next couple years.

They are fully aware of our desire for hunting opportunity and FN are very concerned about population numbers. Common goal is to improve population.

albravo2
11-27-2018, 09:55 AM
dapesche, great post and so well presented.

Some have been trumpeting the need to invest in wildlife and claim OUR money back out of general revenue and be dedicated to the resource.

It's slowly coming together.

Baby steps.

Again, great and well presented on ur behalf.
Cheers

I second this sentiment. Thanks!

silveragent
11-27-2018, 11:20 AM
I would be happy to compliment the government WHEN they confirm that our tag and fees are reinvested. That has always been a longstanding complaint of mine.

Spy
11-27-2018, 06:26 PM
I second this sentiment. Thanks!
X3 Well written and presented as pointed out, I hope we can all get on in the future and educate each other. All hunters have allot in common it would be nice too have first nations and resident hunters all on the same team.... We could accomplish much together..

Islandeer
11-27-2018, 08:32 PM
Governments like the divide and conquer approach to wildlife management.
Then they tag up with who ever seems to be getting the most media attention and legal support.

boxhitch
11-27-2018, 09:26 PM
.......Hopefully you can elaborate on the wildlife Agency as I don't Remeber the finer details of the liberal plan.
.........."The shift toward a stand-alone agency builds on previous accomplishments in enhancing wildlife management, including: finalizing the wildlife allocation policy; implementing a moose enhancement strategy; bringing in an e-licensing system; and increasing First Nations’ participation in wildlife management."

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0037-000783

dapesche
11-28-2018, 12:07 PM
thanks for the positive notes gents. Glad the info is useful.

boxhitch. thanks for the link. I know my contact mentioned $6M for funding so that's close to $5M indicated in the report. He also mentioned BCWF reduced role. Can't confirm if there role is completely erased. Based on the BCWF's wide mandate (wildlife and marinelife), I think I'd prefer the money be spent internally on biologists and partnerships with a focus on wildlife. There will always be waste with the gov't and that's frustrating, but the gents that I know inside the ministry are passionate about what they do.

I am just happy they are doing something. With politics there is typically too much talk and not enough action.

A very close family friend is high up with Interfor. He also noted or provincial gov'ts focus on FN rights and involvement. While this might not be good for industry participants due to capital flowing south of the border, it is good for resident hunters. Not wanting to sound repetitive, but FN want what we want...healthy populations.

fingers crossed.