PDA

View Full Version : Llamas??

wos
11-18-2018, 04:08 PM
Can you use them in bc for packing? I looked through the regs quickly and didn't see anything but somewhere in the back of my mind i think i recall something about them being banned. Does anyone know? Or actually use them? They look like pretty cool creatures!

Seth
11-18-2018, 05:13 PM
I believe you’re correct and packing is restricted to horses.

bcsteve
11-18-2018, 05:37 PM
A quick Google search showed that in 2016 the government were considering banning them but I couldn’t find the result.

2chodi
11-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Not in some parks/protected areas and special management areas. See page 33

http://muskwa-kechika.com/uploads/PDF/parkplan_nrockies_nov2011.pdf

boxhitch
11-18-2018, 06:11 PM
iirc all of reg 6 is closed to the use of llamas and alpacas for hunting
A move to protect the wild sheep where a rule could be put in without too much conflab
would be nice if the blight carriers could be banned outright, but that move is beyond the hunting regs

Jagermeister
11-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Llamas, alpaca, guanaco and vicuņa are closely related to sheep, domestic and wild. In light of such, llamas present a risk to wild sheep as they can carry and transmit disease that would be detrimental to the health of Dall, Stone, California and Mountain Bighorn.

boxhitch
11-18-2018, 06:18 PM
There it is , page 15 of paper regs , though their are misprinted

supposed to be Item # 40 under 'It is unlawful'
'.........with the use or aid of, domestic goats or sheep province-wide and camelids in Regions 6, 7A and 7B, including as pack animals.'

Cub Driver
11-18-2018, 06:27 PM
The use of Llamas has been addressed in Muskwa-Kechika Wildlife Management Plan since 2009.

Muskwa-Kechika Wildlife Management Plan
Part B: Technical Manual
August 2009

3.1 Domestic Animals
Domestic animals are used throughout the Muskwa-Kechika Management Area and throughout all habitats. As a result, they are potential vectors for introducing disease and non-indigenous plants. Most domestic animals are brought in as pack animals, although there is concern about the risk of disease transmission from domestic livestock living on private property in the M-KMA. There is good evidence that domestic sheep and goats can transmit disease to wild sheep and goats. This is less clear for camelids. Species such as Stone’s Sheep, considered to be particularly sensitive to disease and with no previous contact with domestic species, are most at risk. The main objective is to prevent the introduction of disease from domestic to wild animals. No presence or access of domestic animals should be allowed in areas where there is a likelihood of contact with sensitive species or their habitats, until such time as the risk is determined to be acceptable. Exotics, such as goats, Llamas, Alpacas, and other camelids are not allowed in the M-KMA. Before exotics or domestic sheep are allowed they must have undergone an appropriate risk assessment (which sheep and goats have failed). Goats should not be housed or farmed within at least 15 km of wild ungulate populations, unless a significant geographical barrier exists. Domestic animal waste should be managed to prevent contact with wild populations. The B.C. Ministry of Environment should provide guidelines for domestic species in the M-KMA, including species that are allowed as pack animals, and guidelines for waste management practices. The B.C. Ministry of Environment may also lead an education program, in co-operation with Land and Water British Columbia Inc, to sensitize land owners and resource users to this issue.

walks with deer
11-18-2018, 06:27 PM
i have them but wouldnt risk it..not even on a deer hunt as never know if you crossed a goat or sheep range.

wos
11-18-2018, 08:33 PM
If they are a health risk to our sheep i will scratch that idea off my list!

Firstblood
11-18-2018, 09:54 PM
I wish eh, saw guys down in the US using a team of goats as well, they are strong capable animals, wold make for a whole new type of hunting. Unfortunately as has been mentioned it could be detrimental to the wild game we have here in BC.

REMINGTON JIM
11-18-2018, 10:24 PM
A move to protect the wild sheep where a rule could be put in without too much conflab
would be nice if the blight carriers could be banned outright, but that move is beyond the hunting regs

Beyond the Hunting Regs and the Goverments ability to THINK things out as Usual ! jmo RJ

Ourea
11-18-2018, 10:31 PM
We used them extensively for several years accessing remote elk country......15 km deep.
As good as they are they can be a nightmare.

I will give an overview of our experiences with them shortly.
Pros and cons and such.

pinofire
11-19-2018, 10:10 AM
I know a guy who raised some for this purpose and it's a no go. Now they're pets.

Foxton Gundogs
11-19-2018, 10:28 AM
Not sure why anyone would want to use Llamas when you could use perfectly good horses.

Jagermeister
11-19-2018, 11:20 AM
Not sure why anyone would want to use Llamas when you could use perfectly good horses.Llamas are like goats, they can forage on anything

Chuck
11-19-2018, 12:51 PM
I can't understand why aliens, such as llamas, emus, crocodiles etc., are even allowed into Canada. Wasn't it once stated that Llamas were a health threat to our wild sheep? Recalling the cane toad fiasco and many others.

walks with deer
11-19-2018, 12:56 PM
around kamloops there should be none allowed along the thompson.

walks with deer
11-19-2018, 12:57 PM
espeacially north of the south thompson all the way down to lytton

EvanG
11-21-2018, 07:25 PM
If the ban is to protect sheep why is it only in reg 6 and 7