PDA

View Full Version : More hunting traffic in reg 2

limit time
11-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Man have I noticed an increase in hunters from reg 3 and 5 looking to get a second deer in reg 2 . I’m thinking the harvest numbers will be going up in reg 2 ?( if you know what I mean)

RyoTHC
11-18-2018, 10:48 AM
I did indeed spend one day in region 2 looking.
Decided screw this zoo I'm going back to northern 3 where I don't see anyone if I get off the road lol

What I think you're saying is that people will try to be clever and tag a different region buck (likely 3) as a 2 , to "legally" take two deer since most people are to lazy and dumb to get a whitetail ;)

caddisguy
11-18-2018, 10:54 AM
I noticed roads in my Region 2 area were pretty busy but still nobody actually in the bush. I don't mind if the FSR's resemble a highway. I still never see anyone in the timber :)

Wentrot
11-18-2018, 11:34 AM
I noticed roads in my Region 2 area were pretty busy but still nobody actually in the bush. I don't mind if the FSR's resemble a highway. I still never see anyone in the timber :)

Yes, quite a few road warriors but they don’t walk more than 100 yards.

Bugle M In
11-18-2018, 12:19 PM
I was surprised with R3 on the long weekend.
Since R5 closure some years ago now, the little honeyhole I had is a "gong show".
I finally thought the this would be the 1st year, now that ATV's are officially banned for who knows how long in some R3 mu's, and a 1 MD limit, that things might be quitter then in a long time.
Nope!, busiest by a longshot, but not really road hunters, lots of guys wanting to "hike it in", but camps everywhere.?

I think R2 is busier due to the ability to get a 2nd tag for MD/BT only, if you took a deer in R3-8 already.
Plus, maybe some are keying in on the fact that maybe we have some quality hunting close to home?
Just a little harder to hunt then your typical MD (imo)

280 77
11-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Welcome to our world .:)

ducktoller
11-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Didnt see a ton more off the mainline. Boots stopped about 300 yards off where I started walking.

Definitely more on the mainline but not as much the lesser known fsr roads

limit time
11-18-2018, 03:02 PM
Welcome to our world .:)

Ha Ha ! I was waiting for that ;)

Wild one
11-18-2018, 03:16 PM
And give it time and region 2 will be added to the 1 buck regions

horshur
11-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Now you know how region 3 felt....

ducktoller
11-18-2018, 04:41 PM

Could be a good thing though, more chance for the regions to recover more. I hear often enough how many deer squamish and pemberton used to have versus now.

Needs more predator control as well of course. even in a few years i've noticed more and more predator sign.

Wild one
11-18-2018, 04:43 PM
Could be a good thing though, more chance for the regions to recover more. I hear often enough how many deer squamish and pemberton used to have versus now.

Needs more predator control as well of course. even in a few years i've noticed more and more predator sign.

Could be but in most of region to preds are not the issue

limit time
11-18-2018, 06:31 PM

Im a BT hunter first and when I say trust me? I mean Trust me! There is no lack of game in reg 2. I work on and off up in Pembeton and Squamish and the game is abundant. On one weekend I seen a Bull moose, 5 goats, 30 deer and a bull elk!! This is no shit dude, reg 2 is just hard to hunt.

caddisguy
11-18-2018, 07:00 PM
I can't imagine doing long out of town trips for BT's. I would be broke, unemployed and probably single.

Any 250's that can drop into Region 2 and come out with a BT earned it in my books.

I don't think Region 2 will ever have a 1 deer limit. 99% of the huntable region is not accessible/visible from roads. And that won't change unless they start blasting off mountains, building roads everywhere and logging everything.

~T-BONE~
11-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Shut your mouth!

ducktoller
11-18-2018, 08:15 PM
Im a BT hunter first and when I say trust me? I mean Trust me! There is no lack of game in reg 2. I work on and off up in Pembeton and Squamish and the game is abundant. On one weekend I seen a Bull moose, 5 goats, 30 deer and a bull elk!! This is no shit dude, reg 2 is just hard to hunt.

Probably fair. I'm newer and have gotten less lazy each season and see more bt every year the farther I hike and look. Maybe people are just lazier.

Redthies
11-18-2018, 10:25 PM

The road “hunters” do a great job of pushing animals into the bush where “real” hunters can shoot them!

murph83
11-19-2018, 08:57 AM
The road “hunters” do a great job of pushing animals into the bush where “real” hunters can shoot them!
lol, yup..ain't that the dang truth!

Ltbullken
11-19-2018, 09:25 AM
Right on! Maybe the Reg 3 ATV closures keeps you lazy Reg 2 hunters away!! ;P

hickman
11-19-2018, 12:18 PM
You will find lots of traffic where piston heads can go. It's simple. If you are willing to hike & bushwhack for a couple of hours you can find spots in any region that has plenty of deer and no traffic. I agree, lots of deer and other critters in Region 2. It's just tough, thick and dense terrain.

Browning 3\d
11-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Ban four wheeler and we will have lots of room

caddisguy
11-19-2018, 02:04 PM
You will find lots of traffic where piston heads can go. It's simple. If you are willing to hike & bushwhack for a couple of hours you can find spots in any region that has plenty of deer and no traffic. I agree, lots of deer and other critters in Region 2. It's just tough, thick and dense terrain.

You don't even need to go that far to get away from people (though you can and probably see even more) The trailcam hike/footage I just posted up in the members pics/videos section starts off a main road. I have run up to 7 cameras up all over that knob in some cases all year long for several years with some of the cameras as close as 50M as the crow flies from the road (which has road hunters and other outdoor users whizzing by every minute or so) I have never once seen a single person enter the timber, nor have I have found any signs of humans entering that timber, with the exception of some foot prints following a deer track off the road in which case the human tracks stopped at the first sign if a small hill.

Given the amount of area vs area where people actually cover (by foot or line of sight) Region 2 is by far the most under-hunted region in BC. That said, maybe we should keep all this secret :) Nope... no animals in Region 2... put thousands of km's on the jeep... haven't seen a thing... would have to walk 50 miles through mountains for any action :)

twoSevenO
11-19-2018, 02:48 PM
I have climbed hills in reg 2 for 4+ hrs only to find flagging tape on a tree well above any spots worthy of logging.
There are still people who poke their noses into some remote spots of reg 2. I wouldnt generalize just because they didnt happen to hit any of your 7 cams.

I have also hiked little pockets in reg 2, CRV more specifically that were a good climb but relatively close to the road as the crow flies and seen other peoples trail cams.

There are also more people getting into backpack style hunting and getting off the road further and further than ever before. Backcountry hunting is the new thing to do. Like me. Call me part of the problem. Sorry! :)

caddisguy
11-19-2018, 03:30 PM
I have climbed hills in reg 2 for 4+ hrs only to find flagging tape on a tree well above any spots worthy of logging.
There are still people who poke their noses into some remote spots of reg 2. I wouldnt generalize just because they didnt happen to hit any of your 7 cams.

I have also hiked little pockets in reg 2, CRV more specifically that were a good climb but relatively close to the road as the crow flies and seen other peoples trail cams.

There are also more people getting into backpack style hunting and getting off the road further and further than ever before. Backcountry hunting is the new thing to do. Like me. Call me part of the problem. Sorry! :)

Oh I believe it. Pretty sure I didn't suggest that nobody hikes in the bush anywhere ever but rather that you are very unlikely to bump into another hunter or deal with pressure. I have found flagging tape, rusted out tree stands on the ground, even old drums miles from anything in other areas. Even got a mushroom picker on cam in a different area some years ago.That doesn't change the reality that 99% of hunting time and other outdoor traffic in Region 2 is condensed to the small amount of road networks we have, making up only a tiny fraction of the actual land mass with any significant pressure. Have you ever run into another hunter in the timber more than 300M from a hiking trail or road? We haven't, ever, in many thousands of hours spent. I am sure it happens, but it's going to be extremely rare. You found a ribbon though... pressures on! :)

limit time
11-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Right on! Maybe the Reg 3 ATV closures keeps you lazy Reg 2 hunters away!! ;P

reg 3-5 guys couldn’t handle BT hunting in reg 2 ;)

hickman
11-19-2018, 05:23 PM
You don't even need to go that far to get away from people (though you can and probably see even more) The trailcam hike/footage I just posted up in the members pics/videos section starts off a main road. I have run up to 7 cameras up all over that knob in some cases all year long for several years with some of the cameras as close as 50M as the crow flies from the road (which has road hunters and other outdoor users whizzing by every minute or so) I have never once seen a single person enter the timber, nor have I have found any signs of humans entering that timber, with the exception of some foot prints following a deer track off the road in which case the human tracks stopped at the first sign if a small hill.

Given the amount of area vs area where people actually cover (by foot or line of sight) Region 2 is by far the most under-hunted region in BC. That said, maybe we should keep all this secret :) Nope... no animals in Region 2... put thousands of km's on the jeep... haven't seen a thing... would have to walk 50 miles through mountains for any action :)

Yes, good point. I have always been a backcountry, off the road, off the trail kinda guy and like to explore. That's how I got into hunting. Since I am out there, might as well carry a rifle and find awesome country that is hard to get to.