PDA

View Full Version : Highs and Lows

brotherjack
09-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Well, my bow season certainly started out with a bang on opening day when I tagged that nice 5x5 whitetail. That was the high point (and a very high point that was, indeed).

But, from there on out, it's been pretty much 100% lows. We hunted the whole week as hard as physically possible - up at 4:00AM to hike in in the dark, and not home till long after the hike out in the dark, running on 4-5 hours of sleep a night. We tried hiking and calling. We tried sitting and waiting. We tried sitting and calling. We switched areas after a few days in one spot made it clear it was the wrong spot (though these are all spots where we've regularly seen elk). We tried everything we could think of. We pushed until I was so fatigued yesterday that when I went to let the crossbow down after the hunt, my hands gave out and couldn't hold the string and it dry fired (though, thankfully, only the string seems damaged. After putting a new string on it, and some testing in the backyard, it seems to be shooting as fine as it ever did). In short, I don't think I've ever been so tired, mentally and physically, in my entire life!

All that effort, and we didn't see a or hear a single elk until Saturday - and that was just a glimpse of a cow with a nursing calf on the far side of a clearcut. We saw lots of elk sign - stick to your boot fresh sign - tons of trees thrashed and broke off in the middle, fresh tracks on trails that obviously see use daily, etc. Guess we never found quite the right area or something. Though, I ran into a buddy of mine last night on the way out, who it turns out has been hunting all week about a kilometer away from the spot I'd been hunting, and he'd been seeing tons of elk every time he went out, and would be eating elk right now if he had a range finder (clean miss over the back, as the elk he thought was 45 was more like 25).

To add insult to injury, last night about 20 minutes before last shooting light on the last day of bow season, as I was struggling to keep my eyes open, a lone cow wandered by my position at about 40 yards - but quartering to me, and 180 degrees the wrong direction to get a shot off (ie: directly behind me). I did actually get excited for a few seconds, because the route she was on looked like it might put her coming around and down on the heavily (very very heavily) traveled elk trail I was sitting about 25 yards from, overlooking 3 freshly cleared shooting lanes, but no, she veered off and headed over the hill never to be seen again. Just like that, bow season was over, and now I'm faced with the un-inspiring prospect of hunting six point elk - the like of which I've only ever seen once in 5 years of hunting.

Anyway, I need at least a few days of rest before I can get psyched up to get out again. If you asked me right this minute, I hate elk and elk hunting and I don't care if I ever go again. But hopefully, with a few days of rest under my belt, I'll be looking forward to trying some more.

I hope the rest of you who were out for the region 4 bow season had better luck with the elk than I did.

Elkaholic
09-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I hear you man, that sums up my season except no deer, and last night I had a 5x6 at 130 yards with 2 cows and would not come in. Just sat there. So we are trying to get him this week.

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I dont really know how you could call a week off of work hunting a low.I love to get out in nature and enjoy the whole experience and if an animal is harvested that is a bonus.From your post it seems like you should have relaxed a little more and maybe did some more glassing.

brotherjack
09-10-2007, 11:06 AM
It's a low, because now I'm utterly exhausted and grouchy. Because the odds of connecting on a six point are so low (about %23 in the Kootenays last I heard the statistic), I pushed myself way too hard both physically and mentally during bow season, and it quit being fun. So yeah, I agree with you, I should have lightened up.

Gateholio
09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
23% is abotu one in four. I think thats prettty good odds...

Tarp Man
09-10-2007, 12:35 PM
1 in 4 odds? Sign me up for that LEH draw!

brotherjack
09-10-2007, 12:46 PM
If you guys like them odds, I know some high stakes poker players who would just LOVE to meet you.... LOL... :-P

newhunterette
09-10-2007, 12:54 PM
but they got a giggle from ya Brotherjack :D

brotherjack
09-10-2007, 12:59 PM
True. My mood has been steadily improving all morning. I may be feeling good enough by tonight to drag the new rifle up to a clearcut and just have a long sit with my binoculars. I would totally appreciate the irony if I whack a six point in the next couple days, and you guys can all rub this thread in my face. :)

rock
09-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Sometimes thats the way it is and it sucks but you always seem to do it over and over again. Thats why where hunters just being out there is enough if I get something its a bonus, enjoy don't push sounds to much like work that way.
Brotherjack your season will get better you live in some great area.

rocksteady
09-10-2007, 05:49 PM
BroJ, I feel your pain...Similar results for me...9 early mornings, no shots fired...

Up at 03:15 every morning in order to wake up, drink some java, drive to my area, hike in by moonlight and await first light just after 06:00.....

Was very dry, very noisy, warm temps, 1/4 moon with no clouds, no bulls bugling etc etc..All the planets did not come together.....

I had scouted, knew the elk were there...Sat on trail A, they would come up trail B, 100 yards over, next day sit on B, they would come up A, you get the picture.....

Was in on, saw and or heard elk every morning, just did not get a shot I was comfortable with. 30 yards, bad angle,/ 35 bush in the way/ full herd broadside, but at 60yards....yada yada yada....

Did not put an arrow into anything, but did make the effort to get one, can't get one laying in bed....

Did see a hog of a black bear at 25 yards but A) No bear tag b) Don't eat bear meat C) Had not a great hide but by no means a rug D) Was grey from his muzzle back to his jowls, so leave the ole guy alone and E) HE was very intimidating at this distance when all I have is a sharp stick to defend myself with....

Hopefully a weather change will get the bulls more vocal and will have more luck with the trusty '06.....

Bro - Maybe we should form a support group, we can all sit around in our camo and tell each other what we are feeling.....:eek:

BCBairdo
09-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Well guys...we worked our assess off as did you guys. I managed to call several elk in....two cows (one into 5 yards but unfortunately she came in so fast I didn't have time to draw the bow...the other was in too thick to get a shot)...had a big screaming match one night with a 6-point and a couple other satellites in his heard but it got dark on us before we could get a shot off...closest we could get them was 80 yards but what a rush! The 6-point was in the 330 class range which would have been wicked with the bow....chased him up the mountain the next morning and he took his cows out ahead of us but then after some sleazy cow calling we got him to come in for a look but unfortunately we were in too thick cover to get a shot off before he busted us.

Elk hunting is truly my nemesis but at the same time it is like a drug because every year I go with the bow I have several close encounters. One night I was coming to full draw on a 3-point bull when a damn WT doe spotted me draw, blew at me and scared the bull and his cows away....at that point I was nearly devastated...just like BroJ but now I am already thinking about next year! One of these years I'll connect and it will have been worth all the time and effort.

Total Elk count for 8 hard days of hunting was 27, 9 of which were bulls (1 - 6 point, 2 - 5 points, 2 - 4-points, 1 - 3 point and 3 spikers)...next year we'll put one on the ground for sure.....we did manage to come home with the succulent WT doe meat and a nice 6'1" blackie so all-in-all a good trip was had by all.

BCB

brotherjack
09-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Heck, at least you guys saw some elk on a regular basis. I saw like 4 all week, and them only on two days - the other 7 I didn't see nothin but squirrels.

Hunted again tonight - attitude much better after a sleeping in this morning, and a relaxing day of computer/work stuff. Still didn't see anything, but came home feeling good.

I'll be back out at crack of dawn tomorrow - I'm gonna kill me a durn elk!!!!!

:)

Gun Dog
09-11-2007, 08:50 AM
The Reader's Digest version:

...I hate elk and elk hunting and ... I'll be looking forward to trying some more.

bruin
09-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Well you guys are disheartening! But I am sure things will get better and we all know that as soon as you start seeing elk or connect on one all the work and hardship leading up to it melt away.
I am headed out this weekend with the stick and string for some much needed bugling. I have been looking forward to it for a while and it will be my first elk hunt of the season.
Good luck to everyone during rifle season