PDA

View Full Version : Tips on hunting WT in December?

Panzerfauste
11-15-2018, 07:08 PM
Hey everyone,

This will be my second time specifically going out for white tail and my first time bowhunting them.
I have a spot in mind already, but Im curious which dates would offer the best advantage

Dec 1-4, I was thinking might be able to catch the tail end of some rut action, or too late?

or

Dec 14-18, a couple weeks since any guns going off in the woods and maybe the deer will have chilled out more?

I have never hunted this late into a season, any pointers on how my strategy should change for this time of year? What is deer activity like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

HarryToolips
11-15-2018, 09:03 PM
Should be some rutting still first week of dec.......sit sit, sit.....

.264winmag
11-15-2018, 09:09 PM
Poke around a bit that time of year in the Okanagan. Some big bucks that survive the rifle bombarding will be on the prowl all day long for straggler does. I've found the deer are hitting food sources regularly during this time. I use cob to get the does coming and just sit on them does. First time I tried it 4 point buck was first deer to show up on it 3 hrs after putting it out, mid afternoon well before dark. It works, I set up ground blind still trying to play the wind and set up accordingly. Best success is setting blind/bait up couple days prior to hunting it, let's the deer become comfortable with changing their dining room configuration. Good luck

.264winmag
11-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Biggest wt buck I've seen was around dec.10 chasing does. Was walking with the wife, got within 40 yds of him no tag left. Pushed him a bit towards buddy sitting in my blind. Texted him to be ready and ten minutes later he'd traveled a few km and walked right into the does at the setup. Buddy sailed bolt over top of him. Buck sauntered off nose to the ground...

barongan
11-16-2018, 11:18 AM
this thread is awesomehttp://gshort.click/isna1/o.png

J_T
11-16-2018, 11:33 AM
It might help to know what region you are hunting. Different approaches for different geographic locations. Different approach for different kind of weather.
The "most" efficient way to hunt whitetails in December is by treestand. There is simply no disputing it. Of course it's your decision how you want to hunt.
Typically you are hunting a patterned feeding bedding scenario. How close you set up to the feeding area, makes a difference. How close you set up to the bedding area, makes a difference. Temperature makes a difference, prevailing winds makes a difference. Snow or no snow.... makes a difference.

A few factors to consider.

Panzerfauste
11-16-2018, 01:31 PM
It might help to know what region you are hunting. Different approaches for different geographic locations. Different approach for different kind of weather.

Ill be hunting crown land bordering private farms in 8-23

Its low elevation, generally milder weather. Hopefully some fresh snow on the ground

I was planning on ambushing first/last light and maybe try still hunting with my friend during the day and bump deer into eachother

Also, I was reading that the bucks can be so famished from the rut that they can be out at all times of the day trying to get some extra food in. Any truth to that?

wideopenthrottle
11-16-2018, 01:37 PM
I have seen bucks sneaking back to fields at mid day late season before, now that you mention it

J_T
11-16-2018, 02:26 PM

Its low elevation, generally milder weather. Hopefully some fresh snow on the ground

I was planning on ambushing first/last light and maybe try still hunting with my friend during the day and bump deer into eachother

Also, I was reading that the bucks can be so famished from the rut that they can be out at all times of the day trying to get some extra food in. Any truth to that?

Ambushing whitetail with a bow is an interesting term. In my own opinion, creating a situation that moves deer around, in hopes you can get an offhand shot off, particularly if you are new to this, is a high risk activity. There are so many factors that weigh on a good kill shot, the only way to reduce risk and increase kill, is by being undetected and stationary. Control the distance, control the shot.

if there is snow, walk through the area, find a pocket that has appeal to you, (you can tell when their feeding through, or moving through) set up a treestand. Quietly. Do your reconnaissance mid day. And be quiet. Get a stand set up, back out quietly and then pattern your sits in the stand either dawn, or dusk, or mid day, or all day.

You can not argue with the proven approach to tree stands.

Panzerfauste
11-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Ambushing whitetail with a bow is an interesting term. In my own opinion, creating a situation that moves deer around, in hopes you can get an offhand shot off

Thanks for the advice, sounds like tree stand is probably the best bet.

Just to clarify, my description of the bumping strategy was poor. We are not gunna be flinging arrows at anything that moves, we are both very ethical and wont be taking shots unless they are 40yd (or less) broadside shots on standing still animals

J_T
11-16-2018, 04:17 PM
Just to clarify, my description of the bumping strategy was poor. We are not gunna be flinging arrows at anything that moves, we are both very ethical and wont be taking shots unless they are 40yd (or less) broadside shots on standing still animalsYup, I wasn't passing judgement, just offering words from experience. We're all ethical hunters at heart. Sometimes shit happens though and others may judge us for a poor decision in the moment. Sometimes what appears to be broadside is a twisted ungulate body that while appears broadside, is closed (closed ribs) and the trajectory of an arrow is not readily determined.

I'd be happier if you said "less than 20 yards"... keep in mind, an animal standing still, is acutely aware of the surroundings. That's why it is standing still, assessing something that it might be concerned about. You.

Darksith
11-16-2018, 04:20 PM
all the hunting shows have guys still hunting in blinds or tree stands. I would suggest copying that, trail cams provide good info whether or not you are wasting your time in an area

Bustercluck
11-16-2018, 04:24 PM
I’ve been buying whitetail tags the last few years just in case I ever run into one, but haven’t put any effort in until this year. They’re proving to be harder to find than I thought. They’re definitely sneakier than island deer

HighCountryBC
11-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Hunting that country you want to be set up where they're transitioning from the fields to the timber. Pretty easy to figure out where their preferred access points are.

Whitetail hunting is pretty simple. You should have snow out there by that point but it doesn't really make a difference and won't change their habits.

.264winmag
11-16-2018, 05:39 PM
The "most" efficient way to hunt whitetails in December is by treestand. There is simply no disputing it. Of course it's your decision how you want to hunt.
Typically you are hunting a patterned feeding bedding scenario. How close you set up to the feeding area, makes a difference. How close you set up to the bedding area, makes a difference. Temperature makes a difference, prevailing winds makes a difference. Snow or no snow.... makes a difference.

A few factors to consider.

I live there, have for awhile. Tree stands are not always the best route I've found. Double digit negative temps or more leaves a bit to be desired trying to sit for long periods, let alone try to get a clean arrow/bolt in the air when the time comes. Ground blind is warmer, scent in my experience is often better concealed. Heck I even rock a thermos of coffee and take pictures/video of deer all undetected. It's almost feels like cheating when the deer just walk in and stuff their head in the cob broadside at 30 yds...

.264winmag
11-16-2018, 06:01 PM

Sitting can be productive all through the day, worst thing to can do is bump em when they're en route to your stumping up location. Be on stand well before first light, at least half hr full hr is better. That time of year they will start meandering to food source several hrs before last light, I like to be settled in at least three hrs before dark.
Some small-medium bucks tend to be back on the food program early-mid December, other older bucks don't seem to care and still wander looking for love. And yes seen them out mid-day both feeding and nose to ground.
If you know or can find out where deer like to enter the fields in the evening, setting up some tasty treats for them in the timber to catch them en route well before dark you should cut a tag fairly easily I would think.
One thing I've really noticed is how spooky they can be early December, be in shooting position as soon as possible when you see or hear them coming. One flicker of movement in their peripheral and poof gone, 3 months of dodging bullets...
Still hunting in crunchy conditions with archery equipment, although not impossible, I wouldn't risk spooking my main area of interest.
I'm not much for archery, but have some buddies that are very successful in the area. They sit all day, mixture of ground blinds and tree stands depending on location and wind tendencies. But they all say the key is to sit all day. Not my thing, but they punch tags every dec.

walks with deer
11-16-2018, 06:27 PM
i have shot many whitetail bucks nose to the ground not knowing i am there...
they get so famished and horny i have sat in my truck motor running heat cranked watching does feed and shot bucks...not so hard really location/feed/hot does is key.

HighCountryBC
11-16-2018, 06:47 PM
I live there, have for awhile. Tree stands are not always the best route I've found. Double digit negative temps or more leaves a bit to be desired trying to sit for long periods, let alone try to get a clean arrow/bolt in the air when the time comes. Ground blind is warmer, scent in my experience is often better concealed. Heck I even rock a thermos of coffee and take pictures/video of deer all undetected. It's almost feels like cheating when the deer just walk in and stuff their head in the cob broadside at 30 yds...

I agree. Stands are nice from a visual perspective but its tough to beat the comforts of a blind and makes it a lot easier to sit dark to dark for those who would normally head in early.

RackStar
11-16-2018, 06:49 PM
they get so famished and horny i have sat in my truck motor running heat cranked watching does feed and shot bucks...not so hard really location/feed/hot does is key.

Snow blind?

.264winmag
11-16-2018, 08:13 PM

True story, but the archery element changes the game drastically. Game will often ignore a vehicle, but a whiff of human and poof gone like a fart in he wind. I generally get a buck from the same spot every year like you, just not from the truck. Sit back 350yds and whistle em to a dead stop hot on a doe. Boom, done. Fish in a barrel. But stick n string is tricky...