PDA

View Full Version : Chilliwack Lake Road mules?

Dman12
11-11-2018, 07:25 PM
First post on here so please forgive my ignorance. My family has a cabin at Chilliwack lake, and a buddy and I are heading up there this weekend to try and get a mule (3rd time out this year, first time in Chilliwack). Are there any spots along the Chilliwack lake road anyone has had success on before? Thanks!

Jelvis
11-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Blacktail deers up Chilly Wack River the Vedder crossing.
------> Drive up the road and look for a nice spot or three. Might get lucky if you have an opportunity.
Jel -- Chilly Wack area and up to the Lake itself -- Tamihi and lots to get into -- other members can help too --

RyoTHC
11-11-2018, 11:28 PM
Up the very end. Park. Walk 6km NW and you'll come to a clearing. It's a fabled clearing where all the big bruiser 4+pts court and breed all the does in a congo line of sweaty stinky buck fever.

browningboy
11-12-2018, 02:08 AM
Right by the old youth detention place is a beauty road

Mosin
11-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Chilliwack Lake road is a crappy road to go hunting period. Remember you have to be 800m off the main road to shoot. There are lots of people around so your gonna have to park and go for a LONG walk off the beaten path but take a compass or better yet a GPS. Your best bet is take the road to the very end and get onto the backside of the lake and try one of those spur roads. You probably won't see much for animals but you'll see lots of cool old logging equipment that's been left behind decades ago. honestly buddy Chilliwack road area is more suited for camping and dirtbike get type stuff. If you want a deer head out to Princeton area or just past like Saturday summit road etc. Better chances than wack road man!!

Wild one
11-12-2018, 08:22 AM
I was never a fan of chilliwack area for hunting but I know guys who take bucks and some nice ones out of there every year. Majority of hunters fail in Chilliwack and with BT deer overall

When it comes to deer hunting in the lower mainland it’s tight lipped for the most part. You really need to put in your dues and figure it out and expect to fall for sometime before you figure it out

dadof6
11-12-2018, 11:33 AM
For the most part the hunting is tough with all the traffic. Get into the thick of it. Shot a buck up there last year, but a limited amount of sign can be discouraging. Dusk and dawn. Wait until last legal minutes.

604Stalker
11-12-2018, 12:10 PM
cant hunt the road gotta burn boot rubber they are there just gotta hike a while

ryanonthevedder
11-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Up the very end. Park. Walk 6km NW and you'll come to a clearing. It's a fabled clearing where all the big bruiser 4+pts court and breed all the does in a congo line of sweaty stinky buck fever.

Sounds more like Ross than chwk... 6 km nw of the end of the park would put you on a slope below the ice fields.

I have the whole weekend next weekend and I won’t be spending any of it up chwk river valley. I have been hunting hard the last months and it has been very slow. Last year I couldn’t do anything wrong but this year I have only seen a few does. There is a nice set of cuts at the end of the lake though, but I have yet to observe life in them. Also there is a no shooting boundary on the main road all the way up to the park. I thought it was 400m but 800 could be right. The park itself is huntable though. The best sign I saw was way up depot creek off the road.

good luck!

plumberjustin
11-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Chilliwack is tough deer hunting, better suited for bears. The best intel you’ll find is hiking and learning a limited area well, then slowly expand that area. Consider bow only spots as well... just sayin.

walks with deer
11-13-2018, 11:45 AM
shot my first blacktail at the end of the lake in some grassy timber buy a creek...

can not help much now as that was 23 seasons ago lol...and i was 10 and shook for 2 days...lol

Jelvis
11-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Chilliwack River Valley has lots of beauty blacktailed deer -- just got to do some home work and some leg work.

Jelly Chilly in the Wack Attack for a black tail deer --- > lots to go find, do your thing enjoy the outdoors in B.C. many woody be on their knees to hunt B.C. ---

walks with deer
11-14-2018, 06:57 PM
jelly have you ever hunted the wet busy coast?
its not about anything but pockets thst are overlooked...oh ya luck helps...as you tread through the garbage into the trees in sideways rain...lol

and can here gunfire up and down the valley.

walks with deer
11-14-2018, 06:58 PM
when i say garbage i dont mean the thick undergrowth thats after i mean garbage.

RackStar
11-14-2018, 07:08 PM
What about the 2” layer of shotgun shells and sks ammo?

Jelvis
11-14-2018, 07:23 PM
If you have good hip joints, and knee joints and have good ankles and feet and toes, then you hike while hunting -- slowly along in spots where you have some visibility to see a deer feeding or up and about.
---> If you have sore and hurting joints you road hunt where road hunters go in the area, check for back roads on the maps and then drive up Chilly wack lake road and find the road and go --
Jelvis the Pelvis -- if you are in fair to good shape physically you can hunt this area til your ass falls off -- and see deer and bear and grouse.

Mtn Wonderer
11-15-2018, 12:32 AM
Typically if you put in 5-7 good mornings hunting in the chilliwack valley you'll get to see a buck.

I have been hunting the valley for 20 years, in that time I have only shot one deer from a logging road.

You defintely have to find a pocket when you do it will produce deer year, after year.