PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Hunting this time of year - Early morning or Late Evening

o2fish2day
09-09-2007, 07:12 PM
I am going grouse hunting but want to hear from the experts...do you go early in the morning...(ie: sunrise) or prefer dusk?

Thanks,

o2

hoochie
09-09-2007, 07:16 PM
I have seen them at all times of the day. They tend to be in the shade though. I dont recall ever seeing one standing in direct sunlight.
and they are always standing at the side of the road... sometimes its like they are waiting for a bus or something...lol.
good luck.

Steeleco
09-09-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm like Hoochie, we see them all day, on and off. The past two weekends I've been out trying to get my son a buck, the grouse are everywhere. Lots of little chicks this year. We even saw the biggest Blue we've ever seen. Like a full grown chicken. If only today had been the 10th!!

Lil Buck
09-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Yep all day here too...
Blues usually best in morning but others anytime your out there...
Good luck

:cool:

bsa30-06
09-09-2007, 07:54 PM
i agree with the other guys i see them all day long, and always onthe side of the road

Phreddy
09-09-2007, 09:41 PM
I am going grouse hunting but want to hear from the experts...do you go early in the morning...(ie: sunrise) or prefer dusk?

Thanks,

o2

The answer to that question is definately Yes.

Untouchable
09-09-2007, 10:05 PM
The most common time for me to see them is right around dusk, but with that said I see them all the time, most consistently near dusk though.

rishu_pepper
09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Where do you guys see the grouse "all day long"? I'm thinking of heading up to the Spuzzum area for grouse and maybe bunnies next weekend. Good area for grouse or is there a better choice (somewhere not too far from the LM)? Thanks!

locdog_99
09-09-2007, 10:20 PM
usaly right after it rains they come out or in the afternoon i see them most

pointandshoot
09-09-2007, 11:34 PM
guys at work told me they are all over the place on the sunshine coast...might give 'er a try in a few weeks

Mr. Dean
09-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Never really thought of it before... But I think that if I were planning a Grouse hunt, I'd go later in the afternoon.

I normaly pick off mine when returning to camp after a Deer stint. I do see them through out the day though but I think that most of them like to gravel up before going to bed.

Pay attention to the stretches of road that you frequent them. I usualy find several hanging out in the same areas day in and day out.

LeverActionJunkie
09-10-2007, 10:53 PM
This time of year, early sept, I usually have my best luck at dusk. I believe due to the Kamloops heat, I got 4 today, sept 10th, while heading down the mountain all in the shade in the ditch. 2 Ruffs and 2 Blues.

hoochie
09-11-2007, 07:56 AM
If you are soley looking for grouse... shoot um when you see them.
But, if you are hunting deer, you might want to consider a quiet method of hunting the birds as the shot might scare off that deer you've been hoping for.
( bow, pellet gun, sling shot.22 etc).

good luck!

rishu_pepper
09-11-2007, 11:00 AM
If you are soley looking for grouse... shoot um when you see them.
But, if you are hunting deer, you might want to consider a quiet method of hunting the birds as the shot might scare off that deer you've been hoping for.
( bow, pellet gun, sling shot.22 etc).

good luck!

Interestingly, this is close to what I will do on Saturday, except with a 180 degree turn, I'm mainly going for grouse (and wabbits), but if I see a deer, I'm gonna bag it. Gonna bring both the .22 and the .308 for said purposes. It'll be my first-ever hunt, hopefully I don't come home empty-handed, coz my dad's expecting meat! :biggrin:

CHilko21
09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I usually see most of my grouse on and off all day, I tend to see a lot when I'm riding in the afternoon, they seem to like hanging out on the trails back there.

09-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Same as most.....all day but more sightings towards evening.

I used to believe that but l don't anymore. Now l have a 20 gauge/30/30 combo in the truck that gets used where ever and when ever l find either critter . Seeing deer on the road is a bonus as being on foot makes up my most serious deer hunting...........plus you get a lot of birds! :)

Wildfoot
09-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Same as most.....all day but more sightings towards evening.

I used to believe that but l don't anymore. Now l have a 20 gauge/30/30 combo in the truck that gets used where ever and when ever l find either critter . Seeing deer on the road is a bonus as being on foot makes up my most serious deer hunting...........plus you get a lot of birds! :)

is that the savage o/u combo gun? im lookin for a 12ga 30/30 or 308 rifle... ive eyed up that savage, but havent heard anything about it

johnes50
09-11-2007, 04:09 PM
I have seen them at all times of the day. They tend to be in the shade though. I dont recall ever seeing one standing in direct sunlight.
and they are always standing at the side of the road... sometimes its like they are waiting for a bus or something...lol.
good luck.

X2

They always seem to be standing under a bush or shrub when I see them. I always thought they're hiding from birds of prey, but it looks like they could be waiting for the bus. I see them anytime of day, but more towards evening.