PDA

View Full Version : The Muley Rut is Starting

dana
11-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Swollen necks sometimes restricts blood flow to the brain. Had this buck acting stupid today as he sauntered down the road for quite a long time.

http://i.imgur.com/0zp4uFj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vI1sOw9.jpg

Seemed like the skiff of snow had critters moving today. Also ran into this herd of elk. I chose to take photos of the small trees in front of them because I have enough photos of elk.

http://i.imgur.com/NIKSal2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aVTdPbn.jpg

.264winmag
11-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Right on time, and just in time to close near home:-(

Redthies
11-09-2018, 10:08 PM
What part of the province are you in Dana?

Husky7mm
11-09-2018, 10:34 PM
Funny, yesterday in northern Alberta I saw a hog of a wt ( private land, on route to work) on a march for does... I think its more than just the day light through the eye as far as it goes....

Husky7mm
11-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Great frame on the elk, terrible genetics as far as tine lengths go.

boxhitch
11-10-2018, 04:57 AM
Right on time, and just in time to close near home:-(On more kick
extra snow up high seems to have moved them down this year

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 06:18 AM
On more kick
extra snow up high seems to have moved them down this year

I dissagree. Snow before freeze up lots of grub left insulated by the snow and easy to get at it. Does, fawns and immature bucks at 6500' in two feet of snow up to the last day I hunted on the 6th. Bucks still wandering at night, followed one into the timber 12 hrs after track/rub was made. There he was bedded all alone middle of the day 6000' below all the does swollen neck broken tines and a hint of stink. I put a lot of miles on in 7 days up there. Eyed over 30 mulies up in the timber/alpine still. 12-30" of snow really wore out my stubby legs but doesn't even phase a mule deer. Not a hint of migration yet in this area anyway. Just my experience though, urban deer are a different breed not apples to apples imo.

dana
11-10-2018, 07:21 AM
Great frame on the elk, terrible genetics as far as tine lengths go.

Terrible genetics? I don't think so. The Big 7 was probably his grandfather. I would say it is rather the case of being a young bull that is still yet to show his genetic potential.

horshur
11-10-2018, 08:56 AM
I dissagree. Snow before freeze up lots of grub left insulated by the snow and easy to get at it. Does, fawns and immature bucks at 6500' in two feet of snow up to the last day I hunted on the 6th. Bucks still wandering at night, followed one into the timber 12 hrs after track/rub was made. There he was bedded all alone middle of the day 6000' below all the does swollen neck broken tines and a hint of stink. I put a lot of miles on in 7 days up there. Eyed over 30 mulies up in the timber/alpine still. 12-30" of snow really wore out my stubby legs but doesn't even phase a mule deer. Not a hint of migration yet in this area anyway. Just my experience though, urban deer are a different breed not apples to apples imo.
Agree...
There are herds that begin to move at first frost..some of the deer in the south Chilcotins are out by mid Oct. it is not about elevations...aspect, proximity to winter feed, snow load and interception. What encompasses the “summer range” and what is the “winter”. There is high country that deer move into late fall. All “ high country” is not created equal..
This is why you need to hunt sign...

HarryToolips
11-10-2018, 09:08 AM
^^^^i agree that some areas are different than others, I was hunting a sub alpine location a month ago and everything was already moved down - weird, and there was only a 1' or so of snow...Dana that was a nice buck, was he not a 4 point? You wanted something a little bigger?

Kill-da-wabbit
11-10-2018, 09:34 AM
6 does walked right up to 25 metres away from me, followed by a tall 2 point. He was grunting, wheezing and putting on a great show! He was really a stud for 5 minutes or so...until I heard some foot steps to my left. STOMP STOMP STOMP...GRUUUUUNT from behind some trees. The grunt was a full octave lower than the 2 point. Snap, snap branches breaking and that 2 point takes off and doesn't look back! I think I won the lottery, but just my luck, the wind shifts and the whole herd takes off. I never did see him. The forest was dense. He left some of the biggest tracks I have seen. Going back in, maybe with the iron sight 30-30. The bush was so thick, I think a scoped rifle would be a hinderance. Muley rut is on, I give whitetail another week...
Yes this was lower in elevation. The deer have been down low for a month already. Very unusual.

Husky7mm
11-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Now that is some hunting, I can picture it just like you say. Love this time of yr.

Husky7mm
11-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Terrible genetics? I don't think so. The Big 7 was probably his grandfather. I would say it is rather the case of being a young bull that is still yet to show his genetic potential.
Ya. Perhaps a bit hard on him. I zoomed in for a closer look. Beautiful frame, tines dont look very long. Bull doesnt really look young with his sway back. Love the black horns you got there.

Jelvis
11-10-2018, 10:58 AM
dana your the best in the west for up to date awesome photos of mules in the Nor river system and a valuable member on HBC for sure.
---Keep up the high class action.
Jelly Belly -- in Kammy Land -------> dana for high class mule and elk and moose action photos and threads -----

boxhitch
11-10-2018, 10:59 AM
I dissagree. Snow before freeze up lots of grub left insulated by the snow and easy to get at it. Does, fawns and immature bucks at 6500' in two feet of snow up to the last day I hunted on the 6th. Bucks still wandering at night, followed one into the timber 12 hrs after track/rub was made. There he was bedded all alone middle of the day 6000' below all the does swollen neck broken tines and a hint of stink. I put a lot of miles on in 7 days up there. Eyed over 30 mulies up in the timber/alpine still. 12-30" of snow really wore out my stubby legs but doesn't even phase a mule deer. Not a hint of migration yet in this area anyway. Just my experience though, urban deer are a different breed not apples to apples imo.urban deer.......pshaw

Call it a local anomaly then, though closer to you than you may think ;)
only 5600 ft

oh sure there is still a buck plowing around, but not the usual doe flock.
poor genetics I guess

dana
11-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Ya. Perhaps a bit hard on him. I zoomed in for a closer look. Beautiful frame, tines dont look very long. Bull doesnt really look young with his sway back. Love the black horns you got there.

You are judging a bull to be old and swaybacked based off of one shitty blurry picture? Hahaha

What you can see is weak mass and weak tine length. Hint, mass equals age in this area. There probably are only 4 or 5 breeding bulls in this entire herd. And if they make it to an older age, they get rather heavy.

These sheds are probably from that bull's dad, and the Big 7 was probably the grandfather.

http://i.imgur.com/zmqXXLT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cO9lbuq.jpg

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 05:00 PM
urban deer.......pshaw

Call it a local anomaly then, though closer to you than you may think ;)
only 5600 ft

oh sure there is still a buck plowing around, but not the usual doe flock.
poor genetics I guess

Is there farmland and/or other groups of does that tend to hang down lower throughout the year, or somewhere they target as winter food/ground? That is what I mean about urban deer. In the heart of the monashees there is neither of those. Just slashes, roads and quad trails that they avoid like the plague from hunters and wolves. If I can't stay on top of the snow at 150# after a week trying to outwalk an old mulie buck, sure as shit no wolves going to be able to either. I don't believe snow is always such a bad thing for game, and they seem to use it to their advantage if there's nothing better to look forward to downstairs...

dana
11-10-2018, 05:06 PM
A couple snaps from today. Skiff of snow was nice but it is leaving fast. All the deer I encountered stillhunting today were bedded and most of the tracks indicated they fed most of the night. Seemed every doe I saw was mature without fawns. Breaking away from the kids is a good indication they too are preparing for the rut.

http://i.imgur.com/9WKcfaj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fnFtrjA.jpg

Jelvis
11-10-2018, 05:12 PM
dana great photos and write up - even better as you go, yah. Really diggin your semi-pro photos

=-//-----> One thing tho, is your nice green coat feflecting a bit of real low glow?

Jelly -- dana keep your superior photos and stories going --> Top Notch in any Book ----- or Site

dana
11-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Is there farmland and/or other groups of does that tend to hang down lower throughout the year, or somewhere they target as winter food/ground? That is what I mean about urban deer. In the heart of the monashees there is neither of those. Just slashes, roads and quad trails that they avoid like the plague from hunters and wolves. If I can't stay on top of the snow at 150# after a week trying to outwalk an old mulie buck, sure as shit no wolves going to be able to either. I don't believe snow is always such a bad thing for game, and they seem to use it to their advantage if there's nothing better to look forward to downstairs...

In the late 90's and early 2000's we went several years in a row with no snow down low in the late season. A buddy and I hit the higher elevations just so we could have quieter stillhunting. Knee deep and deeper snow we were still in deer. Just not a hell of a lot of them. Dogged some hawg tracks but a guy post holing it ain't catching up to a wise ol' muley buck. He'll just keep spinning you in circles so you end up on your own tracks and you can see where he stopped and laughed at you. If you observe tracks, you will see these bucks spent the nights breeding does in lower elevations and headed back up into the snow for daylight. I learned after several years of trying, the hunting is much better down out of the snow regardless of how crunchy conditions are.

dana
11-10-2018, 05:26 PM
dana great photos and write up - even better as you go, yah. Really diggin your semi-pro photos

=-//-----> One thing tho, is your nice green coat feflecting a bit of real low glow?

Jelly -- dana keep your superior photos and stories going --> Top Notch in any Book ----- or Site

I just picked up that green fleece from Value Village last weekend. Don't think the deer mind it. I saw every deer today before they saw me. Purposefully made noise and movement to get them up just in case there was a buck hidden in the thick stuff that I couldn't see. Not a single deer ran after I assessed them and walked away from them. Pretty sure most just thought I was another deer. So the glowing green wasn't an issue. ;)

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 05:48 PM
In the late 90's and early 2000's we went several years in a row with no snow down low in the late season. A buddy and I hit the higher elevations just so we could have quieter stillhunting. Knee deep and deeper snow we were still in deer. Just not a hell of a lot of them. Dogged some hawg tracks but a guy post holing it ain't catching up to a wise ol' muley buck. He'll just keep spinning you in circles so you end up on your own tracks and you can see where he stopped and laughed at you. If you observe tracks, you will see these bucks spent the nights breeding does in lower elevations and headed back up into the snow for daylight. I learned after several years of trying, the hunting is much better down out of the snow regardless of how crunchy conditions are.

I would agree with you, but if the does are up there too and mostly above the midday bucks with nothing down below I am stuck in the middle in timber. Much easier going anyway, and I caught a few bucks alright. Would have had a gooder if not for 30kn gusts with 6" heavy fresh snow blowing snags over steady one morning, that day was tough on me as them deer just kept on trucking. There were no tracks down lower and clear across the valley I bottom in 4" snow. Up the other mtn beside tracks would start again at 5000'. Thats my point, no deer down below, unless they're levitating...

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 05:56 PM
Also a different ball game when it closes the tenth nov. Just not quite wound up yet. If it was open till end of month things could get pretty western...

dana
11-10-2018, 05:58 PM
I would agree with you, but if the does are up there too and mostly above the midday bucks with nothing down below I am stuck in the middle in timber. Much easier going anyway, and I caught a few bucks alright. Would have had a gooder if not for 30kn gusts with 6" heavy fresh snow blowing snags over steady one morning, that day was tough on me as them deer just kept on trucking. There were no tracks down lower and clear across the valley I bottom in 4" snow. Up the other mtn beside tracks would start again at 5000'. Thats my point, no deer down below, unless they're levitating...

I don't doubt that in some areas the muleys rut high. In the Chilcotin I've seen the migration push on hard in Oct with only light snow up top and then I've seen them turn around and push right back up in Nov because the highcountry was void of snow.

dana
11-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Also a different ball game when it closes the tenth nov. Just not quite wound up yet. If it was open till end of month things could get pretty western...

Some of my favourite hunting is 8-10 of Dec.

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Some of my favourite hunting is 8-10 of Dec.

Must be fun, no fat to trim of em by then I bet. Stanky ole Razorbacks HA

HighCountryBC
11-10-2018, 06:52 PM
^^^^i agree that some areas are different than others, I was hunting a sub alpine location a month ago and everything was already moved down - weird, and there was only a 1' or so of snow...Dana that was a nice buck, was he not a 4 point? You wanted something a little bigger?

They always look bigger going away from you with their ears pinned back.

dana
11-10-2018, 07:46 PM

Yes he was a 4 point and Yes I am looking for something bigger.

dana
11-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Must be fun, no fat to trim of em by then I bet. Stanky ole Razorbacks HA

Oh I've had plenty of late bucks still with a lot of fat on them. Keep in mind, it is the younger bucks that run themselves ragged during the rut. Big mature bucks don't very often. A lot of times it is the does that come find them.

Jelvis
11-10-2018, 07:51 PM
dana some members trying to pin point your main spot by your place Hahahahaha, that's what happens when your famous ---
--- some think you must be on a game farm Hahahahaha

Jel-Kam --

dana
11-10-2018, 07:54 PM
dana some members trying to pin point your main spot by your place Hahahahaha, that's what happens when your famous ---
--- some think you must be on a game farm Hahahahaha

Jel-Kam --

The game farm comment made me laugh as well. Considering Kamloops sheep can be seen easily by anyone who wants to see them.

.264winmag
11-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Oh I've had plenty of late bucks still with a lot of fat on them. Keep in mind, it is the younger bucks that run themselves ragged during the rut. Big mature bucks don't very often. A lot of times it is the does that come find them.

Ah ya wise old buggers know better HA. I was just assuming the old boy I was chasing might be pretty slim end nov/early dec just judging on the miles he been putting on already, coupled with the small amount he seemed to be nibbling...

blackbart
11-10-2018, 11:00 PM
The big ones are not running around yet. At least not most of them. one of my partners shot a nice four point this morning that was acting like he was rutting and the king but no does with him and he was young. Nice rack, but not much age. His fat was pure white and not pink tinged at all. Once the older bucks get at it during the rut the fat either goes away entirely or gets really pink.

There is a reason the season closes on Nov 10 in lots of BC. Heavy rut is Nov 17-23 give or take depending on location.

.264winmag
11-11-2018, 06:11 AM
The big ones are not running around yet. At least not most of them. one of my partners shot a nice four point this morning that was acting like he was rutting and the king but no does with him and he was young. Nice rack, but not much age. His fat was pure white and not pink tinged at all. Once the older bucks get at it during the rut the fat either goes away entirely or gets really pink.

There is a reason the season closes on Nov 10 in lots of BC. Heavy rut is Nov 17-23 give or take depending on location.

I would agree. Hear all this rut talk and most the bucks I see hitting the dirt are 3-4 year olds, young and dumb. Ya of course they're running around trying to get a piece of tail before the main event. Still spikes forks and fawns with the does ain't the rut imo.

dana
11-11-2018, 06:47 AM
You can have breeding anytime between Nov 1 and Dec 10. I have seen the peak normally lands nov 18-21. Some years it is a couple days earlier. Some years it is a couple days later. And each pocket of deer can be different. I believe has a lot to do with how concentrated the does are. If the snow pushes all the does down and they are hanging in the same area, with all those pheromones in the air, they will all come in within a few days of each other and the rut action is insane. If there is little snow and the migration is strung out from valley bottom to the top then the does will come in scattered from early Nov to Dec 10. And rut action is pretty minor. Some early does actually get missed as there are no bucks around to do the breeding. That is why you will see some good rutting action come Dec 8-10 as those does come in for second estrus. The only times I've seen second rut is when there was little to no snow all Nov. Last year was like that in my neck of the woods. I had a little bit of action on Remebrance Day weekend and then nothing until the last weekend with a bunch of action. Years where we get huge dumps and cold move in mid Nov, zero second rut. They are all in winter feeding mode by the last weekend.

srupp
11-11-2018, 07:18 AM
Pretty damn accurate Mr.Dana..in preperation for my Alberta hunt was reading biologists papers..the one that caught my attention.was most does are successfully bred and pregnant..I believe he even gave Nov 20 as " the date"..lol what a date..
Hmm leaving in a few days..back start of Dec..
Except for wolves my bc season is over..nada..turned everything down..two years in a row..damn..
Thank you Steve for your knowledge..photos..AND allowing us to watch your children grow up into fine sportsmen..ladies., thank you
Cheers
Steven

Buckmeister
11-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Ha, I was watching a spike buck yesterday act like a big stud in this big open cut with about 4 inches of snow. He spent about 30 minutes raking the snot out of two separate small willow bushes. He spent the rest of his time criss crossing this hillside checking out 3 different does. Nose in the air, head tilted back, lip curled. He finally got curious about me as I couldn't help but be right out in the open watching him. He came down the hill to within 25 yards of me when his demeanor suddenly changed and he did an about turn and went straight up the hill about 250 yards or more, looking like he was trying to keep his cool but was clearly shaken. Young and dumb.

Jelvis
11-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Seen a three by two muley buck up Noble with two young does checkin him out and gave him away looking at the buck, staring at the buck and I looked and about hundred yards in the sunlight on his rack and back, staring back at the does which were twenty feet from my buddies 4 by -- he's a road hunter --
Jello -- Buck was checking out the young does butt the two youngins gave the buck away, one was up on her front legs on a stump staring at the young stud mule buck --

dana
11-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Did a little drive this morning checking for sign. Lots of movement again over night. Saw a couple does and a young 3x2 but not much was out and about. Lots of extremly fresh wolf sign pounding it hard. 3, possibly 4 dogs. That makes the life of a deer hunter just a little bit harder. Pieces of the puzzle are coming together as why movement at night and holding tight during the day.

horshur
11-11-2018, 08:35 PM
Seen a three by two muley buck up Noble with two young does checkin him out and gave him away looking at the buck, staring at the buck and I looked and about hundred yards in the sunlight on his rack and back, staring back at the does which were twenty feet from my buddies 4 by -- he's a road hunter --
Jello -- Buck was checking out the young does butt the two youngins gave the buck away, one was up on her front legs on a stump staring at the young stud mule buck --

hey you seen that doe on the lease hanging with her big mule deer momma...that flags when she runs away?

Jelvis
11-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Up past where your allowed to shoot, butt buddy had to shoot a four point or better, all he kept saying was " If it was October butt no "
-- he said it's a good way to end the season, his wife told em six times is enuff Hahahahaha, I told em it's more than most Hahahaha
Jel -- bucks are starting to get off and so are the does ---> some activity that is strong < ----------//-=
------------One buddy has quit for the year, too slippery on the back roads in November -- 4 by -- cost too much to get stuck and wrecked --

Takla
11-12-2018, 07:20 AM
Did a little drive this morning checking for sign. Lots of movement again over night. Saw a couple does and a young 3x2 but not much was out a
nd about. Lots of extremly fresh wolf sign pounding it hard. 3, possibly 4 dogs. That makes the life of a deer hunter just a little bit harder. Pieces of the puzzle are coming together as why movement at night and holding tight during the day.

I had the same observations yesterday,lots of fresh wolf track up high.Hiked into an adjoining area to where we shot a tall 2-point last day of any mulie buck and had fresh tracks ,two seperate groups of buck and doe's likely the night before.Our 2-point was riping into a group of smaller poplar and his neck was swelled right up,tracks had him travelling down from higher country that day juring the first snow.
We also seen three moose yesterday ,single bull up high and then bull and cow slowly feed thru the bush near our place 5 min behind our home :}

takla

takla

dana
11-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Now this is what I've been looking for. Another piece to a puzzle. Evidence of a big buck. Might be worth putting some time in looking for who made this rub.

http://i.imgur.com/3ZdCXRF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/73p5uli.jpg

No deer seen today. Had one blow at me but never saw it. Still quite a bit of movement at night. Was another good hike though. Pound the ground and something might just turn up.

http://i.imgur.com/rp5jggx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0X4jUNV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/C6zfcXk.jpg

RackStar
11-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Spent the weekend in the RM trench looking for a whitey, no luck on a whitey this weekend but had to let a beauty 4x4 MD walk. Swollen neck and acting stupid. Found a lot of chewed up ground and fresh rubs and evidence of sparing almost everywhere I hiked. Next weekend should be great.

Dana those are great pics. Love the rifle , looks like lots of history behind it. What cartridge is that comparing the tracks too?

Good luck out there man

.264winmag
11-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Nice rub n track.
looks like a beauty ole Parker hale 300win mag?
Good luck, I'm jealous ;)

dana
11-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Spent the weekend in the RM trench looking for a whitey, no luck on a whitey this weekend but had to let a beauty 4x4 MD walk. Swollen neck and acting stupid. Found a lot of chewed up ground and fresh rubs and evidence of sparing almost everywhere I hiked. Next weekend should be great.

Dana those are great pics. Love the rifle , looks like lots of history behind it. What cartridge is that comparing the tracks too?

Good luck out there man

Thanks!!! That is a 300 Win Mag for reference. Track is decent. Not quite Hawg size. Still looking though. Lots of season left. If I don't find something that is an obvious no brainer by Dec 10th, I'll be happy to eat tag soup again.

dana
11-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Nice rub n track.
looks like a beauty ole Parker hale 300win mag?
Good luck, I'm jealous ;)

Yup! It is a heavy walking stick but it does the job. :)

.264winmag
11-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Yup! It is a heavy walking stick but it does the job. :)
Love me a heavy smokepole, just feels right. Although the 6# scoped 7-08 is growing on me. 300 nice to have when them big ole bucks turn and come at ya:p

Jelvis
11-12-2018, 05:52 PM
That's a monster rub and a good sized track dana -- good posting on your part - very educational and inspiring for mule deer hunters.

Jell0 -- I think a huge mule has to have a print like a small moose size track or so 4 inches long for a big one --

dana
11-12-2018, 05:58 PM
That's a monster rub and a good sized track dana -- good posting on your part - very educational and inspiring for mule deer hunters.

Jell0 -- I think a huge mule has to have a print like a small moose size track or so 4 inches long for a big one --

A good rule of thumb is if a 300 Win Cartridge can fit into the length of a track and almost the width of a track, you are looking at a track of a Big Buck.

dana
11-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Love me a heavy smokepole, just feels right. Although the 6# scoped 7-08 is growing on me. 300 nice to have when them big ole bucks turn and come at ya:p

I am always preparred for those muley attacks! ;)

RackStar
11-12-2018, 06:03 PM
good To know ...

Do you run trail cameras ever Dana?

dana
11-12-2018, 06:56 PM
good To know ...

Do you run trail cameras ever Dana?

I once had a first generation trail cam that used 35mm film. Got one roll of clouds and one little forky and then the camera ate the second roll of film and never worked again. Never tried them ever again.

Rattler
11-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Dana, have you ever killed a big buck with small feet?

Arctic Lake
11-12-2018, 08:32 PM
A couple snaps from today. Skiff of snow was nice but it is leaving fast. All the deer I encountered stillhunting today were bedded and most of the tracks indicated they fed most of the night. Seemed every doe I saw was mature without fawns. Breaking away from the kids is a good indication they too are preparing for the rut.

http://i.imgur.com/9WKcfaj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fnFtrjA.jpg

The last photo would make a nice Christmas card ! How do you like that pack ? Does it have a shelf ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Jelvis
11-12-2018, 08:38 PM
dana cood be a pro in a magazine as a hunter of the north country, and use his own photo shots.
---- looks like a real hunter outdoors looking for a nice buck ---
Jel -- awesome threads by dana on HBC of late and really great to see -- and share with a bona-fide big game hunter --

HarryToolips
11-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Reading this thread makes me wish I wasn't sick all weekend so I could take my bud out for his quest for a big muley, and makes me wish I hadn't cancelled my MD tag already....

dana
11-12-2018, 10:13 PM
Dana, have you ever killed a big buck with small feet?

I once killed a monster that had doe sized front hooves and big buck sized back hooves. His unique track looked like a buck and doe walking the same path. There is no doubt big bucks can make a smaller track. But, I've never seen a small buck make a big track. So if I was a betting man and saw an average sized track going left and a big sized track going right, I would dog the track going right.

dana
11-12-2018, 10:25 PM
The last photo would make a nice Christmas card ! How do you like that pack ? Does it have a shelf ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake
I particularly love this pack. I have packed a bunch of critters out in it and it isn't too bothersome to have on my back all day as a large daypack. It fits me well. The 2 previous owners of this pack were much taller than me and it fit them both wrong. A couple epic sheep hunts and they hated it. A testiment to the fact the not all packs fit all people. It does have a shelf that seperates the lower portion on the pack with the upper that can also be opened so large items like quarters can be top loaded and take up the total length of the pack.

dana
11-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Reading this thread makes me wish I wasn't sick all weekend so I could take my bud out for his quest for a big muley, and makes me wish I hadn't cancelled my MD tag already....

hahaha! The fun part of the season is just starting. It is what I wait all year for.

Arctic Lake
11-13-2018, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the reply Dana ! Arctic Lake

pnbrock
11-13-2018, 09:00 AM
Hunted your neck of woods this weekend Dana was sure surprised at the lack of deer from years past. The bucks I did see were definitely moving into rut mode.

Seeker
11-13-2018, 12:26 PM
I have been out a few days over the last week. Deer wire still up high in my neck of the woods. Saw a couple of huge rubs, similar to your picture Dana. Definitely gets me excited. All the does I saw (28 in 2 days) had no bucks hanging out, and all were pretty much bedded up. I agree, tons of night movement, single solitary tracks dragging through the snow covering miles. We don't tend to have a bunch of the beauty fir ridges, so its a little different hunting, but what I did notice is that there was a definite concentration of sign in the 10-15 ft regen. I would be tough to hunt, but I am starting to think that setting up a tree stand along old skidder trails or along fringes of these blocks is the way to go. Anyone have any luck doing so?

.264winmag
11-13-2018, 05:03 PM
I have been out a few days over the last week. Deer wire still up high in my neck of the woods. Saw a couple of huge rubs, similar to your picture Dana. Definitely gets me excited. All the does I saw (28 in 2 days) had no bucks hanging out, and all were pretty much bedded up. I agree, tons of night movement, single solitary tracks dragging through the snow covering miles. We don't tend to have a bunch of the beauty fir ridges, so its a little different hunting, but what I did notice is that there was a definite concentration of sign in the 10-15 ft regen. I would be tough to hunt, but I am starting to think that setting up a tree stand along old skidder trails or along fringes of these blocks is the way to go. Anyone have any luck doing so?

Although I generally only glass or bump does in the daylight in the tall Xmas tree slashes, I spotted a giant three years ago on an old backspar trail top of a huge block on edge of old growth early afternoon nov.8 pre-rut. I blew it and missed but during the follow up found multiple beds and rubs along that old backspar. Yet to spot another buck there but they use it heavily at night. I now catch them not far inside that timber patch bedded up quite often. They avoid coming into the tall regen during daylight but have sucked small and medium bucks out to the fringe with rattling and fawn distress calls. I would sit there until dark if the wind is right and would like my chances. Will see what the trail cams say in the spring as it's closed there now and we're snowed out anyway...

Jelvis
11-14-2018, 06:02 PM
Muley rut a tut, what a tat, where it's at! November 18th is coming, whose going?
Jel -- we want some clear reports and photo's and we want them NOW! --

Bugle M In
11-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Was out this past long weekend.
Rubs were just starting to be made.
Lots of 2 pt'rs!
1 4x3 down (not mine)
Lots of Does, but very little in the way of "big boy/s" sign.
The lack of virtually no snow does not help my area out, so take my input for what it's worth.
They might be up much higher this season??